WOSSNAME -- Main edition -- May 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2013
      May 2013 (Volume 16, Issue 5, Post 1)
      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide
      Staff Writers: Asti, Alison Not Weatherwax, Steven D'Aprano, L.C.
      Thomas
      DW Horoscope: Lady Anaemia Asterisk, Fernando Magnifico, Kevin
      time)

      02) PTERRY AT BRITISH HUMANIST CONVENTION
      03) ODDS AND SODS DEPARTMENT
      04) REVIEW: THE SCIENCE OF DISCWORLD IV
      05) ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      06) THE THINGS PRATCHETT FANS SAY...
      07) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS
      08) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      09) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS
      10) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS
      11) THE HOUSE THAT COHEN BUILT
      12) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      13) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

      01) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      The Glorious 25th is upon us! Time for the wearing of the lilac! And
      of course, the 25th of May in Roundworld is also Towel Day, and
      according to some, Star Wars Day. Naturally, the way to deal with
      this trio of Days is to spend the 25th carrying around a lilac-
      coloured towel that's not the towel you're looking for...

      As I am currently spending a month minding my friend Sacharissa's
      house and cat, and thus without internet access pretty much of the
      time, the May issue of WOSSNAME has been hastily (as in
      "frantically, during the occasional hours when I'm temporarily back
      at home") compiled. Hopefully I haven't made (or missed) too many
      mistakes!

      – Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) PTERRY TO BE A STAR GUEST AT BRITISH HUMANIST CONVENTION

      The BHA Annual Conference 2013 will be taking place next month and
      will feature Sir Pterry as star guest at the Gala Dinner and Award
      Ceremony in the grand Central Hall of the historic Leeds City
      Museum.

      "Announcing Terry Pratchett, much loved Distinguished Support of the
      British Humanist Association and recipient of the 2013 Services to
      Humanism Award. Distinguished scientists, philosophers, artists,
      writers, and entertainers are gathering in Leeds from 7 – 9 June
      to debate and discuss some of our biggest questions about life, the
      universe, and everything. Through the lens of Humanism we will
      explore our imagination, push the boundaries of our understanding of
      creation, and investigate how we engage with the world around us.
      With some of the world's leading thinkers and creators our annual
      conference weekend is thought-provoking and inspiring – an
      unforgettable experience."

      "Confirmed guests include theoretical physicist and President of the
      British Humanist Association Jim Al-Khalili, Psychologist and Writer
      Sue Blackmore, Public Astronomer at Greenwich Observatory Marek
      Kukula, Gardiner Chair of Chemistry Lee Cronin, author of Girl with
      a One Track Mind Zoe Margolis, comic artist and writer Melinda
      Gebbie, geneticist, broadcaster and editor for the science journal
      Nature Adam Rutherford, geek songstress Helen Arney, comedian Robin
      Ince, and our MC for the opening evening, drag performer
      Timberlina."

      When: Friday 7th to Sunday 9th June 2013
      Venue: Hilton Leeds City Hotel, Neville Street, Leeds LS1 4BX
      Tickets: to register and book tickets, go to:

      https://reg.istrations.com/delegate/events/LDSBHA2013

      http://bhaconference.org.uk/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) ODDS AND SODS DEPARTMENT

      Here be a video of highlights from Pterry's recent (24th April)
      talk, with Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen, at Conway Hall about tSoD4:

      http://tinyurl.com/ce5o6yy

      *

      Remember, you can still join the Discworld Lego crusade!

      http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/36302

      *

      In which Waterstone's blogger Dan Lewis has a (very) quick chat with
      The Author, after the Conway Hall evening:

      "Rincewind, who is doing fine, thank you, also gets a mention in the
      upcoming Raising Steam (coming later this year). I do like to give
      my characters a rest after a while, although I have to admit that I
      like Commander Vimes; he is so blasted onto my imagination that if
      he could type he could write a book for me..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ofoqloq

      *

      A special release from Paul Kidby:

      "Numbered & signed exhibition catalogues 'Discworld & Beyond' are
      available from my website":

      http://www.paulkidby.net/index.php/shop/bookshop

      *

      A special orangutan appeal from the makers of "green household
      products", Seventh Generation:

      "What do Sumatran Orangutans, Seventh Generation, The Philadelphia
      Zoo, Dr. Seuss and a Burlington elementary school have in common?
      Far more than you might imagine. This past April, The Philadelphia
      Zoo launched the 'Unless' Campaign. Based on the prophetic words of
      Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, the campaign is a five-year initiative to
      raise awareness of the near extinction of the Orangutan and to
      promote the use of sustainable palm oil as a means of protecting the
      remaining habitat of this great ape.

      "Since palm kernel oil is the single largest feedstock used by
      Seventh Generation to formulate our cleaners and personal care
      products, we've committed to sourcing 100% RSPO certified
      sustainable palm. Together with the Philadelphia Zoo, we're also
      supporting the efforts of the Sumatran Orangutan Conservation
      Programme (SOCP) in Sumatra and the Tuanan Orangutan Research
      Project in Indonesia by funding projects that conserve the last
      remaining forests. Under the umbrella of the "Unless" Campaign, the
      Philadelphia Zoo is also engaging kids in a variety of actions to
      save Orangutans. The Zoo is mobilizing grade schoolers in a letter-
      writing campaign to send 6,600 thank you letters – one for every
      Orangutan in Sumatra – to companies and manufacturers committed to
      sustainable palm oil..."

      http://unless.philadelphiazoo.org/

      http://www.seventhgeneration.com/learn/blog/caring-whole-awful-lot

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) REVIEW: THE SCIENCE OF DISCWORLD IV

      By Alun Salt on the Annals of Botany blog:

      "A frequent defence of science knowledge is that it is provisional,
      so it is always open to improvement. It is also a process and
      Judgement Day does a good job of emphasising this. When the authors
      talk about superseded ideas they don't just talk about where other
      people went wrong. They also point out errors in previous Science of
      Discworld books, particularly the first. In the later chapters there
      are more contrasts between universe-centred and human-centred
      thinking, which compare scientific and religious attitudes to new
      knowledge. If you're determined to take offence then you'll have the
      opportunity. Jewish Cathar Scientologists will be particularly
      annoyed that they've been singled out.

      "The writing is as good as ever. I have skimmed through again
      looking for a brief section to lift. Sadly the self-contained parts
      that would make sense, like where problems in the search the Higgs
      boson are described by comparison to smashing a piano to see what's
      inside, are too long to lift sensibly. It a shame because it's not
      simply a matter of explaining science, the text also has an
      enthusiasm for science..."

      http://tinyurl.com/d3k3mgz

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      From the BBC news website:

      "Labour peer Lord Falconer is to table a bill this year calling for
      a change in the law in England and Wales, underpinned by a series of
      safeguards. He said the law needed to 'catch up' with public
      attitudes on the issue... The proposed law change is being
      supported by Dignity in Dying and other pressure groups that
      campaign for terminally ill patients to be given more information
      about their rights, and greater choice and control over their
      treatments. Under Lord Falconer's private member's bill, assisted
      dying would be legalised in 'strictly defined circumstances'. Only
      those aged 18 and over, who have had a terminal illness diagnosed,
      would be able to request help to end their lives. In doing so, they
      would have to prove they have the mental capacity to make a
      voluntary and informed choice, were not being unduly influenced by
      others and had a 'settled intention' about their wish to die..."

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22432308

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      O6) THINGS PRATCHETT FANS SAY

      Ayako Mizumoto says...
      Hello Sir and Happy birthday. Since I also had a happily delightful
      thing, please hear it. DEATH came to my basis. It is a souvenir of
      a honeymoon of my younger sister. Country of DISCWORLD – I was
      needing your help, when I wanted you to buy DISCWORLDNOVELS at the
      bookstore in Britain. Then, although she did not know, she has
      chosen and bought in Japan four volumes out of which translation has
      come. Miraculous! Although the book which was read in fact and which
      is not in things was good, she does not know it. But I am very glad.
      He does his best in a guide and it reads a Japanese version : )It is
      said that it showed very kindly even the bookshelf also to the
      bookstore member. Immediately after calling it DISCWORLD and DEATH,
      it was glad in my having had you show around. I am sorry for a long
      sentence. Thank you Sir and Britain!! I wish you there is a thing
      wonderful in large numbers. A work great from now on. I am looking
      forward to it.

      Kim Andersen says...
      Considering that Sir Pratchett just turned another year, I feel this
      is a good time to remind people of rule number one.

      Rachel Rowlands says...
      Just to let you know , I won a compettion to get a humbolt penguin
      to be named Gaspode the Wonder Penguin, the discworld community here
      on fb voted in droves. Can't thank them enough !

      Roch Schollij says...
      Hi! I just watched the documentary you made about your travels to
      Borneo, and I just HAD to tell you that I think that it is one of
      the best documentaries I have ever seen. I've been a fan of your
      books for many years, but this...this was so incredible. Your
      connection to the orangutans was so real, so filled with
      appreciation and humility that it made me feel like I was there,
      experiencing that feeling too. Making a difference like this, by
      bringing your own story into the story of the forest, is so powerful
      because there is no way that any sane person could watch it and not
      sit back at the end and say "I don't care". Your bravery in
      venturing out, despite your difficulties, is something everyone can
      learn from...amazing. So, just so you know, even though I have
      always been passionate about conservation, this documentary still
      changed me - and I'm sure it's changing people all over the world.
      Thank you so much for being brave for all of us :)

      Peter Haesendonck says...
      Dear Sir, dear Terry, I just saw the documentary on assisted
      suicide, sorry for my terrible spelling here..., i'm Belgian. I
      started to cry with the Hugo Claus-part and i still am. this is one
      of the most heartgripping documents i ever let my eyes rest on. As
      you may well know the world of medicine is working hard on it to
      find a cure for Alzheimer's , I am glad to tell you that in Belgium
      I am one of the medication-test-volunteers...

      Iain Easy says...
      a message to Lyndsey, (feckit I know that can't be spelt correctly)
      I saw Mr Pratchetts tv program regarding Orangutans on Tv a while
      ago, what struck me as much as anything,(taking nothing away from Mr
      Pratchetts extraordinary courage, energy, and honesty in his
      endeavour to make this film) was your genuine humanity in all the
      things you go through to support one of the great imaginations and
      creative spirits of our time in his almost incomprehensible trials
      to exist and make a difference. I want you to know that what you
      give to terry in help, understanding, compassion, patience,
      freindship and most of all love, you give for us all and I for one
      appreciate that and thank you. You have chosen to undertake a role
      that however tough it may feel, makes an enormous difference not
      only to one old and amazing silly bugger, but to an extraordinary
      amount of people that not only have loved and lived the adventures
      of discworld, past, present, and future, but to those that may have
      never thought it could be they that had it in them to be so selfless
      in the pursuit of making the world a more caring and giving place.
      whilst I cant pretend to speak for everyone blessed by discworld
      (only Vetinari as the authority to do that). For myself I can say
      Thank you. There are not many souls that Give as much as you have
      simply because they know they can.

      Rita Tulett says...
      I recently watched your TV programme about looking for your
      orangutan. As I watched you ploughing through the rainforest with
      your carer trailing after you desperately trying to get you to stop
      for the day I thought "That's me and Dave(my husband who has
      Parkinson's Disease). You two are very alike, you don't let trivial
      things like illness stop you whatever happens. It drives me to
      distraction but it's what Dave is. In a bid to keep an eye on
      him(HA!HA!) we bought a 27ft cabin cruiser called Morgan's Drift and
      spent the summer doing her up. I never thought a boat could give us
      such a new lease of life but she has. Now we're out there on the
      Medway river, it's like standing up and screaming at the world "Just
      for a little while can you plz SHUT UP!!!" and it does. PURE
      BLISS!!!! If you haven't tried already you should. Join us ;o). Hope
      you enjoyed this post and keep up the good fight xxx

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      07) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS

      David Brashaw, co-creator of the "Guards! Guards!" boardgame, says:

      "Just in case you want to play our new demo game, Discworld Clacks,
      or Luchador - Mexican Wrestling Dice, or Codinca, or of course the
      acclaimed 2012 revised version of Guards! Guards! A Discworld
      Boardgame we will be at Booth K9, (just like Dr Who) in Kings, UK
      Games Expo from 24-26 May. Prize competitions running on Saturday.
      Get there early for a chance to win."

      UK Games Expo is the UK's largest Hobby Games Convention.

      When: 24th-26th May 2013 (this weekend!)
      Venue:NEC Hilton, DY5 2LH Birmingham, United Kingdom

      Contact info
      Email richard@...
      Website http://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/

      8.1 MONSTROUS REGIMENT IN STURMINSTER

      SNADS – the Sturminster Newton Amateur Dramatic Society – are
      presenting their production of Monstrous Regiment next month.

      When: 6th-8th June 2013
      Venue: The Exchange, Old Market Hill, Sturminster Newton, Dorset
      DT10 1FH (phone: 01258 475137)
      Time: 7.30pm
      Tickets: £8 (£1 concessions discount), available from the box
      office

      http://www.snads.biz/
      http://www.stur-exchange.co.uk/

      8.2 WYRD SISTERS IN WARSAW

      "Lo and behold! The University of Warsaw's academic theater group
      The Cheerful Hamlets presents Terry Pratchett's 'Wyrd Sisters',
      adapted by Stephen Briggs! This fine piece of art will be staged on
      the 1st and 15th of June at Centrum Lowicka (ul. Lowicka 21, Warsaw)
      at 6PM. Entrance is free, although we ask anyone interested in
      coming to make a donation to the Orangutan Foundation if they can.
      We will be accepting donations both before and after the performance
      – all proceeds will go to the cause. Follow the link below for