WOSSNAME -- Early edition -- April 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2013
      April 2013 (Volume 16, Issue 4, Post 1)
      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide
      Staff Writers: Asti, Alison Not Weatherwax, Steven D'Aprano, L.C.
      Thomas
      DW Horoscope: Lady Anaemia Asterisk, Fernando Magnifico, Kevin
      time)

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      03) THE SCIENCE OF DISCWORLD NEWS
      04) ODDS AND SODS DEPARTMENT
      05) "FACING EXTINCTION": REVIEWS
      06) ...AND MORE ABOUT THE ENDANGERED ORANGUTANS
      07) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      08) THE THINGS PRATCHETT FANS SAY...
      09) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS
      10) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      11) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS
      12) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS
      13) ROUNDWORLD TALES: 21ST CENTURY TOSHERS!
      14) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      15) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "In the U.K. at least, no one gives a shit who I'm supposed to be
      writing for. They'll read it anyway. The kids read the adult books,
      and the adults read the kids' books. Of course, they're both
      accessible, which is the nice way of fantasy fiction."

      – Pterry, interviewed by Tasha Robinson for The Onion AV Club,
      November 2012

      "I wonder: do health-conscious Trolls insist on buying inorganic
      produce?"

      – the ever-droll (note spelling) Pat Harkin

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      So much to report this month! News, reviews, plays... yes, it's
      another Early Edition. But this month there will also be a later
      edition, featuring some exclusive WOSSNAME reviews and various other
      bits and bobs. However, as much of the information below is time-
      sensitive, off we go across the aether much earlier than usual...

      First things first: WOSSNAME wishes a very, very happy 65th birthday
      to Sir Pterry! That's on the 28th of April, in case you didn't
      already know it. Join us in raising a glass of brandy to the best
      and bravest author in this part (and possibly all parts) of the
      multiverse. Happy Birthday, Sir Pterry, and may there be a
      ridiculously long number more!

      Second things second: stop the presses! "Terry Pratchett: Facing
      Extinction" is now available for viewing on YouTube! The entire
      documentary, no less. Here be the link:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOhduvF1UGA&sns=tw

      Third things third: Lynsey Dalladay of Transworld has announced the
      shortlist for the Second Pratchett Prize!

      "Congratulations to the six short-listed entrants in the Terry
      Pratchett Anywhere But Here, Anywhen But Now First Novel Award. In
      surname order the lucky six are:

      The Unspoken Death of the Amazing Flying Boy, by Jean Burdett
      Bloodline, by Sophie Constable
      The Hive, by Alexander Maskill
      The Way Through the Woods, by Robin Pearson
      A Kill in the Morning, by Graeme Shimmin
      The Shadows of Annwn, by Catherine Whittle

      "These six books will be discussed by the judging panel which
      includes Sir Terry and a winner will be announced on the 31st May.
      Thank you to everyone who took part and sent in your novels, the
      standard was remarkably high and we had over 500 entries."

      Fourth things fourth: a reminder that Sir Pterry – with Rob
      Wilkins, of course – will lead "Voices for Choice", an evening of
      literature, poetry and spoken word on Tuesday 30th April.

      Venue: Union Chapel, Compton Terrace, Islington, London N1 2UN (near
      Highbury & Islington tube station)
      Time: 7pm
      Tickets: £23 (plus booking fee). Tickets can be purchased online at:
      http://tinyurl.com/c9fqc32
      Note: Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult.

      And there's plenty more below, so read on!

      – Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) THE SCIENCE OF DISCWORLD NEWS

      3.1 THE OFFICIAL BLURB

      "Marjorie Daw is a librarian, and takes her job – and indeed the
      truth of words – very seriously. She doesn't know it, but her
      world and ours – Roundworld – is in big trouble. On Discworld, a
      colossal row is brewing...

      "The Wizards of Unseen University feel responsible for Roundworld
      (as one would for a pet gerbil). After all, they brought it into
      existence by bungling an experiment in Quantum ThaumoDynamics. But
      legal action is being brought against them by Omnians, who say that
      the Wizards' god-like actions make a mockery of their noble
      religion.

      "As the finest legal brains in Discworld (a zombie and a priest)
      gird their loins to do battle – and when the Great Big Thing in
      the High Energy Magic Laboratory is switched on – Marjorie Daw
      finds herself thrown across the multiverse and right in the middle
      of the whole explosive affair."

      The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day is out now!

      To purchase online, go to:

      http://amzn.to/13fJVKQ

      3.2 TSOD4 LIVE!

      All three Science of Discworld authors – Pterry, Ian Stewart and
      Jack Cohen – will be appearing at a very special live discussion of
      The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day this month, at the famous
      Conway Hall, "the landmark of London's independent intellectual,
      political and cultural life". Not to be missed!

      When: 24th April
      Venue: Conway Hall, 25 Red Lion Square, London WC1R 4RL (phone 020
      7405 1818)
      Time: 7pm
      Tickets: £8 (£6 for Waterstones Cardholders). Tickets can be
      purchased from Waterstones Gower Street, or by phone (020 7636
      1577), or by email: events@... Tickets are also
      available online at www.facebook.com/waterstones (subject to a
      booking fee)

      events@...

      http://www.conwayhall.org.uk/at-a-glance?startFrom=1366758000

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) ODDS AND SODS DEPARTMENT

      A big WOSSNAME thank-you to blogger Robert Byrd, who made a fine-
      looking full-page "advert" promoting WOSSNAME on his own initiative.
      Well done Rob – and ta much!

      http://tinyurl.com/cp3s2w9

      *

      Orangutan fan an activist Jaime Wilson will be running to raise
      funds for orangutan support at the end of this month:

      "If you have ever seen me and my body art in person you will know I
      have a soft spot for primates and no it's not because they remind me
      of my 3 boys either. On April 28th I will be running a 5K at the
      Philadelphia Zoo to raise money to help save Orangutan's from
      extinction please join me in this fight. Thank everyone Jaime
      02/04/2013.... OK Everyone quick update, Scott my 9 year old will be
      running or maybe racing with me on this event."

      For more info, and to sponsor or donate, go to:

      http://www.active.com/donate/phillyrunwild/JaimeWilson

      *

      You may remember this announcement of live Discworld readings back
      in January (main issue, item 4.1):

      Improbable Fictions ("a Shakespearean staged reading series") are
      offering a night of Wyrd Sisters reading as part of their spring
      2013 series.

      When: 23-24 April 2013
      Venue: Kentuck's Georgine Clarke Building, 503 Main Avenue,
      Northport, Alabama 35476

      Admission is free but seating is limited so tickets are required.
      These are available at:

      www.brownpapertickets.com

      Actually, it's two nights, but the location for one of them has
      changed:

      "Note that the venue has changed for these performances. Due to
      battiness and remodeling at Kentuck, we'll be holding our 4/23
      performance at the Strode Mansion (49 Cherokee Hills, off Loop Road)
      and our 4/24 performance at the Greensboro Room. Free admission,
      though donations to the Save The Orangutans Fund are appreciated.
      The Librarian will thank you."

      http://tinyurl.com/c6ye5sd

      *

      Laugh? I thought I'd read Discworld backwards...

      Is Sir Pterry one of the greatest writers in history of books or
      merely a "cynical merchant of back to front death"? According to a
      dangerously funny satirical piece in The Daily Mash, there are
      deadly backmask messages in the Discworld series...

      "Pro-life groups who want to watch you die screaming said the novels
      contain subliminal messages that when read backwards reveal sinister
      commands including 'stick a spoon in your head' and 'eat raw geese'.
      Roy Hobbs, director of Hellish Pain Now, said: 'Pratchett wants us
      all dead. His 39 books are at best a guidebook to the world of
      suicide and at worst a crude attempt to kill everyone in the world.
      The Discworld series is littered with back to front suicide
      suggestions. Especially if you read them out loud. In an Indian
      accent...And even a child knows that if you take the third and
      fourth letters from each book title and rearrange them it spells out
      "strip naked, cover yourself in Shippams paste and punch a psychotic
      leopard in the testicles'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cv5z8nm

      *

      The Adorn tattoo studio of Shrewsbury wants to use body art to raise
      money for Alzheimer's research during Dementia Awareness Week 2013,
      which takes place on 19th-25th May:

      "Our studio is organising a fundraising event for an Alzheimer's
      charity based on our illustrations of favourite Discworld
      characters. Does anyone have any ideas for fan sites etc where we
      can gain some publicity? Just need to finish the designs and set a
      date and then we can get tattooing for a good cause again!"

      To see a beautiful set of images of some of their Discworld-themed
      tatts, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/d4ozvba

      For more information about Dementia Awareness Week 2013, go to:

      http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/remembertheperson

      *

      "In the Critics section of the centenary edition of the New
      Statesman, our 'Critic at large' is the novelist A.S Byatt. Byatt
      explores her longstanding admiration for the Discworld novels of
      Terry Pratchett. 'As a wartime child in the 1940s,' she recalls, 'I
      was already puzzling over an image of a domed world poised on the
      backs of three elephants that stood on a monstrous turtle.' Byatt
      considers the latest in Pratchett's series of books, co-written with
      the mathematician Ian Stewart and the biologist Jack Cohen, dealing
      with the science of Discworld. 'Both Pratchett's storytelling and
      the resolutely universe-centred perspective of the scientists make
      me happier to be human,' Byatt writes. 'I look forward to the next
      volume.'"

      http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2013/04/critics-centenary-issue

      *

      Libraries the UU Librarian might love! Here be a photo-essay of some
      wonderful parts of Roundworld's L-space:

      http://all-that-is-interesting.com/the-worlds-coolest-libraries

      *

      On the Unleash the Fanboy pop-culture site, "fangirl unleashed"
      Tracey Sinclair witters on interestingly about The Watch and her
      casting ideas:

      "But why has it taken so long for this to happen and why aren't we
      seeing more adaptations of one of the country's most successful
      writers? Will the much-trumpeted Narrativia – Pratchett's own
      production company, which he launched last year with his daughter
      and a couple of creative collaborators – actually get things
      moving? Despite there being over 40 books in the Discworld series,
      professional adaptations have been thin on the ground, and often
      ill-fated. The mega-budgeted Sky mini-series have been slightly hit
      or miss, reflecting a questionable choice in the source material:
      while Hogfather was an obvious bet for a Christmas special, the end
      result felt slow and slightly stodgy, and the Colour of Magic was
      hampered by being an adaptation of a book that has aged badly –
      the difference in quality between the first two books and the third
      is astronomical, with both The Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic
      now coming across as dated pastiches, a world away from the
      sophisticated writing of the later novels. Going Postal fared far
      better: a lighter hand on the source material, a great story and an
      engaging cast made it an enjoyable watch. But that's only 3. What
      happened to the rest? It's not like available adaptations of
      Pratchett aren't out there – there have been theatrical versions
      for years, and recently there were BBC radio versions of both
      Guards! Guards! and Eric..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cdkqw9v

      *

      ...and on Bleeding Cool, Brendon Connelly muses on the fate of the
      would-be animated film of Mort and what it might have looked like:

      "Something went wrong – either they couldn't get the story to
      click or couldn't lock down all of the rights, or both – and the
      project was abandoned. But while it was in development, one of the
      artists working on the film was Sue Nichols... she has since posted
      to her personal website, all about a project she worked on at Disney
      in 2010 and '11..."

      http://tinyurl.com/dxp3tsd

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) "FACING EXTINCTION": REVIEWS

      Reviewed by Tim Dowling in The Guardian:

      "The form of Alzheimer's Pratchett suffers from seems to have left
      his intellect and his sense of the absurd so far intact, but it has
      compromised his spatial awareness, and with it his mobility. Such a
      journey might not be possible for much longer; there seemed to be a
      question over whether it was advisable even now. 'This is pretty
      crazy,' said Pratchett's long-standing assistant Rob. When the pair
      of them pinned on buttonhole cameras for an investigation of
      Jakarta's illegal trade in endangered mammals, the juddering footage
      unconsciously mimicked the viewpoint of someone with spatial
      awareness problems. After a minute or two I was reconsidering the
      whole trip myself... Nothing in this documentary would give you much
      hope regarding man's willingness to adjust economic imperatives in
      order to accommodate another species. 'The earth zips round the
      solar system, and there is no one at the controls,' said Pratchett,
      who has a knack for delivering the darkly inarguable in a way that
      still makes you smile..."

      http://tinyurl.com/c8c9sms

      Reviewed in Metro by Keith Watson:

      "The best role model on how to deal with the prospect of imminent
      demise surely has to be Sir Terry Pratchett. Since being diagnosed
      with a type of early onset Alzheimer's five years ago, the Discworld
      author has turned himself into a rather unlikely TV star...
      Disappearing habitats, brought on by rampant modernisation and
      aggressive farming – the jungle is being stripped back for palm
      oil production – have brought the orangutan to the brink. You
      could feel the weariness with the world in Pratchett's eyes as he
      saw the scene. Yet it's in the bones of human nature to hope against
      hope. Pratchett is not a schooled, slick TV presenter, which makes
      him an endangered species in another way. He wasn't overly concerned
      with finding 'the story'; what we got was his reaction to the
      situation. And the only way he could deal with it was to make it
      personal..."

      http://tinyurl.com/bso3dog

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      06) ...AND MORE ABOUT THE ENDANGERED ORANGUTANS

      6.1 SOME HABITATS WILL BE PROTECTED

      It seems that at least at least one of the major habitat-destroyers
      are willing to listen. Environmental activist and company advisor
      Brendan May was surprised and gratified when former "enemy" Asia
      Pulp and Paper announced its plan to adopt sustainable practices
      after years spent logging rainforests:

      "Fifteen years in the hothouse of the sustainability movement has
      provided its fair share of excitement, intrigue and adrenaline, not
      to mention several rather surreal moments... But no moment was as
      surreal as the events that unfolded in Jakarta in February of this
      year. For a long time I have followed with keen interest—and
      outspoken hostility—the sustainability performance and
      communications of Asia Pulp & Paper Group (APP). In 2011 I wrote an
      open letter to the company, and was surprised by the scale of the
      reaction it provoked. Re-reading it, I see I did not mince my words.
      I accused APP of peddling falsehoods, blatant green-washing,
      distortion, risible gestures and of living in a bunker mentality as
      NGOs and customers deserted them in droves. I stand by every single
      word. In the intervening two years I have continued to push hard for
      APP to scale down its green communications whilst ramping up
      ambition when it comes to sustainable forestry.

      "But now, at last, there is good news. On 5 February in Jakarta, APP
      announced an immediate cessation of any further natural forest
      clearance throughout its supply chain. Coupled with stronger
      commitments on human rights, and a promise of transparency and NGO
      scrutiny, this was a landmark moment for a company with a deeply
      troubled past. In partnership with The Forest Trust (TFT), there is
      a better than good chance that APP has turned the corner towards
      real sector leadership in Indonesia, and possibly beyond..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cmdpsjw

      6.2 ...AND SOME RESCUES ARE SUCCEEDING

      A Daily Mail appeal to save orphaned orangutans in Borneo is going
      well:

      "It seems impossible to believe that, without the support provided
      by your donations, they would have been doomed to a wretched
      existence in captivity, half-starved, beaten and living in chains as
      illegal trophy pets. They are the victims of logging companies who
      are destroying their habitat in Borneo and of hunters who kill adult
      orangutans and sell the babies to the black-market pet trade, where
      they fetch high prices. Life in captivity is harsh. Chained up,
      underfed, mistreated and beaten by their owners — and sometimes
      tormented by local children — pet orangutans in Borneo rarely live
      to be fully grown. Females mature sometime between the ages of six
      and 11 but males are not fully adult until they are 15. Since the
      appeal was published in the Mail two years ago, £500,000 has been
      raised to enable the International Animal Rescue charity (IAR) to
      build an orangutan sanctuary on 64 acres in Sungai Awan, Indonesian
      Borneo... In the wild, these creatures can travel up to 3.5km a day
      through the tree canopy, so the charity's ambitious plan is to buy
      land off the coast of Borneo and create entire island sanctuaries,
      where Mely and others can be gradually reintroduced to the wild.
      Land in Southeast Asia is cheap, by Western standards. One island
      for six orangutans would cost about £12,000 — but running costs
      are much higher, an estimated £50,000 a year. The work is vital..."

      (Article includes a number of lovely photographs of the rescued
      young apes)

      http://tinyurl.com/btd3vze

      6.3 ORANGUTAN IMAGES

      Photos related to Facing Extinction on the BBC website:

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/21940533

      And the gorgeous Kusasi chillin' with some non-apes. Mrrow!:

      http://tinyurl.com/bt42yv9

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      07) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      7.1 ALZHEIMER'S AWARENESS WEEK: WHAT *YOU* COULD DO

      This is a UK campaign, but readers in other parts of Roundworld
      might also take inspiration from it:

      "Dementia Awareness Week is Alzheimer's Society's annual flagship
      awareness-raising campaign. It will take place from 19-25 May 2013
      in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The theme for this year's
      Dementia Awareness Week is talking... Worrying changes nothing.
      Talking changes everything. We're all living longer. That means
      we're all facing a higher risk of one day developing dementia. It
      may be you. Or it may be someone in your family. But what can you do
      about it? How do you recognise the signs? And how will you cope if
      you or someone you love develops dementia? One thing's certain. The
      more we know about dementia, the more prepared we'll be to face
      it... Get together with family, friends or colleagues and turn your
      afternoon into something a bit special while raising money for
      Alzheimer's Society. For everything you need to throw a tea party,
      take a look at our tools and resources."

      Download a guide to throwing a tea party:
      http://tinyurl.com/cda6gf7

      Make your own poster to advertise your tea party:
      http://postermaker.alzheimers.org.uk/time-for-tea/

      Download a tea party flyer to encourage others to throw a tea party
      too:
      http://tinyurl.com/cy2zlst

      "We want people to join the conversation this Dementia Awareness
      Week. Use these flyers and posters to get people talking and to
      promote your local awareness raising events during the week. There's
      also a booklet with advice on starting difficult conversations about
      dementia and sources of support."

      Download a poster:
      http://tinyurl.com/c9flcax

      Download a flyer:
      http://tinyurl.com/c3osrgy

      Download the booklet:
      http://tinyurl.com/c294cog

      Make your own poster to advertise your event:
      http://tinyurl.com/csutmyl

      To view the original announcement and links on the web, go to:

      http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/remembertheperson

      7.2 THE POTUS WANTS TO SEE YOUR BRAIN!

      "Barack Obama has launched an ambitious plan to map the human brain
      for the first time, in an attempt to seek vital clues for treating
      diseases such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. The Brain Initiative
      (Brain Research through Advancing Innovative Neurotechnologies) will
      launch with $100m of federal funding, and there are hopes that it
      could create thousands of jobs in spinoff scientific and
      technological enterprises.... Launching the initiative at the White
      House on Tuesday, Obama called on companies, research universities,
      foundations, and philanthropists to join in one of what he has
      identified as the "grand challanges" of the 21st century. Obama
      pointed to the long-term benefits for science, the economy and the
      human race as a whole of these huge scientific endeavours...

      "The goal is firstly to try to shed light on the development of
      distressing and increasingly widespread neurological diseases such
      as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, as well as conditions that develop
      in childhood such as autism, and acute afflictions that leave people
      severely disabled like stroke – and hopefully find new ways of
      treating them. Beyond that, the project will help scientists
      understand how the brain works when it is functioning as it should.
      'The Brain Initiative will accelerate the development and
      application of new technologies that will enable researchers to
      produce dynamic pictures of the brain that show how individual brain
      cells and complex neural circuits interact at the speed of thought,'
      said the White House announcement..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cr2mdrg

      7.3 EARLY GENETIC ALZHEIMER'S MARKERS FOUND

      "The research in Neuron identifies mutations that affect the build-
      up of certain proteins in the brain. High levels of these tau
      proteins increase the chance of having the disease. UK experts said
      the study could help understand the changes that occur in the brains
      of Alzheimer's patients. Tangles of a kind of tau called
      phosphorylated tau (ptau) are a hallmark of the disease. One of the
      new gene variants identified by the Washington University School of
      Medicine team was also shown to be linked to a small increased risk
      of developing Alzheimer's and a greater risk of cognitive decline.
      The team used genetic information from more than 1,200 people,
      significantly larger than previous studies in this area. Dr Alison
      Goate, who led the study, said: 'We anticipate that knowledge about
      the role of these genes in Alzheimer's disease may lead to the
      identification of new targets from therapies or new animal or
      cellular models of the disease.' Dr Doug Brown, director of research
      and development at the Alzheimer's Society, said: 'In discovering
      new genes that have a link to Alzheimer's, this robust study helps
      scientists to better understand the way the brain changes when
      dementia develops. Research such as this may in the future help us
      to engineer treatments aimed at stopping such changes and therefore
      slowing or stopping the effects of dementia.' He added: 'These new
      gene markers, as important as they are, are likely to be a few of
      many that might affect a person's risk of developing Alzheimer's.'
      ..."

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22025100

      7.4 DEMENTIA CARE: MUST DO BETTER

      "NICE's dementia guidance includes 10 standards it wants the care
      sector to follow. One calls for people with dementia to live in
      housing that meets their needs, while another says they should be
      given the support they need to access leisure activities. Others
      focus on keeping patients involved in community life and ensuring
      they get access to services such as dentists and opticians. NICE
      deputy chief executive Prof Gillian Leng said: 'The general picture
      is that care is patchy. We know that it is really good in places but
      it's not consistent. My personal view is that we are all playing
      catch-up because the number of people with dementia has been
      increasing so dramatically.' Currently about 670,000 people in
      England are living with dementia but one in three over the age of 65
      are expected to develop the condition..."

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22007492

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      O8) THINGS PRATCHETT FANS SAY

      Bt Humble says...
      My 81-year-old father passed away recently, and during his final 2
      weeks in the hospital we spent some time time reading "Johnny and
      the Dead" (I was reading and he was listening). He very much enjoyed
      the story, and had a many good laughs as we went along.
      Unfortunately I had to read ahead and give him an abbreviated
      synopsis of the final chapter, as his moments of lucidity were
      getting shorter. He particularly enjoyed the characters of Thomas
      Bowler, William Stickers and Sylvia Liberty. I realise that this was
      one of your earlier works, but I just wanted to thank you for the
      pleasure that you gave to us both in reading it, and in allowing us
      to enjoy his final few days of life with a good laugh or two. I'll
      remember those moments fondly.

      Katie Goldsmith says...
      I LOVED Dodger and so chose to write my dissertation on it. Myyyyy
      goodness. Eight thousand words later and i am still hacking away at
      my poor keyboard. I still love it, though. ;) Thankyou for such a
      fabulous book!

      Suzanne Webb says...
      I have thoroughly enjoyed the Borneo programme. Thank you, you
      lovely, lovely man. Rob looks after you beautifully. I hope they
      find Kasasi when he is ready to be found. I love Orange People and
      will be visiting Monkey World again next month. To see them in the
      wild is a dream which will never be realised. Thank you for all you
      do and all you are

      Chris Brown says...
      If I could possibly communicate this to Terry Pratchett I should be
      very grateful. In 2005 when he spoke in Auckland, NZ I asked him
      why, as he was obviously very bright and very well read, he had
      become a cub reporter. Where were the dreaming spires? In the light
      of his subsequent diagnosis I have greatly regretted this smart
      arsed remark, have always wanted to apologise. I rejoice to hear
      that he is well. With love, Chris Brown.

      Steve Thompson says...
      3 or 4 months ago I was looking for something to read and a friend
      suggested I try Terry Pratchett. I found Unseen Academicals at a
      used bookstore. I now have 32 or 33 of your books on my shelves at
      home and thoroughly enjoy the time I get to spend in Ankh-Morpork.
      I've read most of them twice already! hahaha! Thanks for the
      entertainment.

      Elena Nazarevskaya says...
      Terry Prachet is my favourite morden writer. Every his audiobook I
      have listened is really wonderful. His humor is fantastic. His books
      help me to live in our world.

      Emily Wahlert says...
      When my son asked about the Tooth Fairy last week, I decided that my
      version of events was wearing thin. Pratchett tells it better!

      Allie Schumi says...
      Hi, i've just read carpe jugulum for the first time! Loved it. Now
      i'm reading nation – such a lovely book. Thank you!

      Elizabeth Simmons says...
      I take my hat off to you Sir, for your eloquence and public dignity.
      You are one of my Heroes. You have made thousands of people happy
      with your words and your way of looking at things. Thank you so
      much. Xxx

      Elena Nazarevskaya says...
      Now the happiest time in my life is when my husband reads me
      Prachett's books aloud. Noone is kinder than Terry. How I did like
      his 'privet' to Anton Chekhov!!! Amazing. Three sisters and uncle
      Vanya!!! Who could ever expect them in the Flat World? Fantastic!

      Heather Louise Whitaker says...
      I have just watched terry pratchett's program on conservation. I
      just want to thank you for discworld,everytime i open one of your
      books i am taken somewhere where all my problems seem to vanish and
      my life is transformed, thank you for making my life a better place

      Guy Thair sys...
      Just watched Facing Extinction. Thanks for a heart warming insight
      into the lives of the Orangutans, and I'd just like to thank Rob on
      behalf of all your fans for looking after you so well. As ever,
      dignified and inspirational.

      Angela Douglas sys...
      just a quick one, {well we will see), thank you for you, your books
      as you well know amazing, not going to explain further, you have
      your own life, your books and the way you express the lives of the
      people in your Disc world really reflect most of us. I read and re-
      read. Thank you take care

      Gemma Apps says...
      that show bbc2 was heartbreaking last night. terry you are an
      inspiration to all alzheimer sufferers out there and the wild
      orangutan population of Indonesia :)

      Dee Brown says...
      Sweet man who cares about the fate of the orang utans. I also
      support the saving of all wildlife and the programme was wonderful
      to watch, what a brave thinking and caring man. I have huge respect
      for you and wish you a long life.

      Margaret McDonald says...
      Terry Pratchett I have just watched Facing Extinction and was moved
      by the emotion and bravery shown by you during this programme. I
      have always thought of you as an amazing author and now see you as a
      truly amazing human being too. Keep well xxx

      Jo Campbell
      Have just watched facing extinction with Sir Terry could not hold
      back the tears not just fot the orangutans but for such a wonderful
      man and I am proud to have met him I wish you well Terry.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      09) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS

      9.1 ANYONE WANT TO AGITATE FOR DISCWORLD LEGO?

      Serious – very, very serious – Lego fan Glen Bricker has a
      proposal:

      "This is a campaign to official produce a Discworld Lego set...
      Projects really only have a shot at getting produced if they 'go
      viral' to some extent. If you support, please also tweet the
      project, share on Facebook, directly contact esteemed individuals
      (like Sacharissa Cripslock,or perhaps the man himself) and webpages
      that are cool enough to talk about the Discworld, etc....of course,
      a campaign to create such a Lego set would be so awesome and
      unpredictable that we really should avoid bringing it to the
      attention of the Auditors of Reality, so do your best to keep them
      from finding out... For those of you that have not heard of the
      Discworld before, then congratulations, you are now that much more
      experienced. It is an ongoing series of books (and multimedia
      extravaganza!) by Sir Terry Pratchett... Quite frankly I suggest the
      books to anyone who enjoys...well, anything really. Any that goes
      double for those who DON'T like anything...

      "I decided to try to recreate some of Bergholt Stuttley Johnson's
      work but I kept running out of Octarine colored bricks and the the
      little imp just keep refusing to make any pictures of it in order to
      preserve its own sanity. Failing that I thought long and hard about
      how to best represent my love of the Discworld series in Lego form.
      I considered attempting to build various structures described, like
      the Unseen University or the Treacle Mine Road Watch House, in the
      series but found that each one was not significant enough to embrace
      the scope of the series... For a while I considered doing The Kite
      and its Crew. In the end though, Cuusoo will only produce one set
      for any project submitted. So I have decided to go with the Whole
      Thing...

      "On a much more serious note, many of you are likely aware that
      Terry Pratchett has early onset Alzheimer's. As of 2010, there are
      an estimated 35.6 million people with Alzheimer's worldwide and the
      number is expected to double every 20 years. As the creator of this
      Cuusoo project, if this reaches production I will receive a small
      portion of the profits from the sale of the resulting set. I will
      donate 50% of any profits I may receive from this project to
      Alzheimer's research..."

      The page includes iconographs of some Discworld Lego ideas. Go look
      – and do support the project and spread the news!

      http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/36302

      Glen's blog can be found at:

      http://blog.brick-hero.com/

      9.2 GAME FOR A SET OF STEALTHY DISCWORLD REFERENCES?

      Discworld fan Marc Dalton noticed something curious:

      "I'm surprised there's never been a post about this before (that
      I've seen anyway); has anyone played the game Dishonoured? I
      personally haven't, but have found out through a friend, and through
      some internet trawling, that there a quite a few Pratchett/Discworld
      references in the game. Must have been some Pratchett fans working
      in the dev team. There is a character in the game called Pratchett,
      there is also a City Watch, the tyrant of the city is called
      Havelock, you can get a rat on a stick, and also a tin of
      'Pratchett's Jellied Eels'. Apparently it has 'dry humour that
      punctuates the game's casual violence' that is reminiscent of
      Discworld humour, and a quote I found online from the game is: 'I'm
      sorry Mr. Pratchett, but the City Watch is here for your own good'.
      Oh, and Rhianna Pratchett tweeted about it on Boxing Day responding
      to a fan, saying 'So far I've seen Pratchett jellied eels, a guy
      named Havelock & rat on a stick. I sense a Discworld fan on
      Dishonored's team ;)'"

      The game's voice actors include Lena Headey, Chloe Moretz, Susan
      Sarandon and Carrie Fisher. According to Wikipedia, Dishonored
      "takes place in the industrial city of Dunwall, where technology and
      otherworldly forces coexist." According to the game's creators,
      Arkane Studios, "The imaginary city is based on London at the turn
      of the 20th century." Pull the other one, kiddies.

      http://www.dishonoredgame.org/

      10.1 REMINDER: MORT IN BRIGHTON, UK

      Brighton University Drama Society are presenting their production of
      Mort this month, starting in a few days' time!

      When: 19th – 21th April
      Venue: Sallis Benney Theatre, 58-67 Grand Parade, Brighton, East
      Sussex BN2 0JY
      Time: 7pm (Doors 6:45pm)
      Tickets: £7 (£5 Concessions)

      http://tinyurl.com/a3k9ggt

      10.2 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN CAMBRIDGE

      Bawds in Cambridge offer their somewhat unusual presentation of Wyrd
      Sisters this week:

      "Wyrd Sisters is an adaptation of one of the best and most
      theatrical comic fantasies in the hugely entertaining Discworld
      series by Sir Terry Pratchett. It is a surreal mash-up of pantomime,
      Monty Python, fairy tale and Shakespeare, with a lunatic version of
      Macbeth seen from the skewed perspective of the three alarmingly
      human and dysfunctional witches, the Wyrd Sisters. It is given a
      fast-moving steampunk production by one of the most experienced
      amateur companies in Cambridge and directed by an ex-President of
      the Cambridge Footlights."

      When: Tuesday 16th – Saturday 20th April 2013
      Venue: ADC Theatre, Park Street, Cambridge CB5 8AS (phone 01223
      300085)
      Time: 7.45pm
      Tickets: £9/£7 concessions on Tuesday, Wednesday and Matinee;
      £10/£8 concessions on Thursday – Saturday.

      For more information, and to view the delightful trailer – yes,
      the play has a live action trailer! – go to:

      http://www.adctheatre.com/whats-on/drama/wyrd-sisters.aspx

      10.3 REMINDER: THE FIFTH ELEPHANT IN SWANSEA

      Swansea Little Theatre present their production of The Fifth
      Elephant this week!

      When: 17th to 20th April 2013
      Venue: the Dylan Thomas Theatre, Dylan Thomas Square, The Marina,
      Swansea SA1 1TY (phone: 01792 473238)
      info@...
      Time: 7.30pm
      Tickets: £10 (£9 concessions).

      To book online, go to:
      http://www.intelligent-tickets.com/index.php?th=dt

      http://www.swansealittletheatre.org.uk/
      http://www.dylanthomastheatre.org.uk/

      10.4 GUARDS! GUARDS! IN THE FOREST OF DEAN

      The Lydbrook Players have been going for over 25 years, but this
      month's production of Guards! Guards! is their first attempt at
      Discworld. All their plays raise funds for the Orangutan Foundation,
      so that's a good sign!

      When: 25th, 26th & 27th April 2013
      Venue: Memorial Hall, Lydbrook, GL17 9LQ
      Tickets: £6 (no concessions), available from the village shop or on
      the door before performances. The Lydbrook Players have no online
      presence but tickets can be reserved via email. To reserve tickets,
      email Pam Taylor: draywoman@...

      Blogger (and Lydbrook Players member) Simmi has made some excellent
      prop badges for the production:

      http://tinyurl.com/cze298g

      10.5 WYRD SISTERS IN CHICAGO

      The MorBacon Theatre Company is putting on a production of Terry
      Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters in July, having made their $5,000
      Kickstarter goal for the project. Watch this space for updates!

      When: last two weeks of July 2013
      Venue: Side Project Theatre, 1439 W. Jarvis Avenue, Rogers Park,
      Chicago IL 60626
      Tickets: "will go on sale as it gets closer to the performance"

      http://tinyurl.com/b89w7fl

      10.6 CARPE JUGULUM IN CARDIFF

      Monstrous Productions Theatre Company will present their production
      of Carpe Jugulum in June. All proceeds from the performances will be
      donated to Alzheimer's Research UK. They already have a successful
      production of Monstrous Regiment under their belts (last year).
      Details of dates, times and tickets are not yet available, so stay
      tuned to:

      http://www.monstrousptc.com/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS

      11.1 CABBAGECON 2013 UPDATES

      Special guest Science of Discworld co-creator Dr Jack Cohen will be
      spending a certain weekend in Sto La-, er, The Netherlands:

      "Between 24 and 26 May 2013 the second Dutch Discworld Convention
      Cabbagecon 2 will happen at the NH Hotel Zandvoort in Zandvoort aan
      Zee. It will be a happy occasion for fans of Sir Terry Pratchett
      from the Netherlands and abroad to meet each other and have fun. We
      hope to see you too!"

      Adults
      For the weekend €50.00
      Day tickets €30.00

      Concessions, students and children born after 26 May 1995
      For the weekend €40.00
      Day tickets €25.00
      Children born after 26 May 2008 free only when accompanied by a
      paying adult

      To register for the whole weekend or for day passes, go to:

      http://www.dutchdwcon.nl

      11.2 IDWCON 2013 UPDATES

      The third Irish Discworld Convention will take place on 1st–4th
      November 2013 at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Limerick City. Membership
      prices are:

      Adult – €45
      Concession – €35
      Student – €35
      Teen (13-18) – €18
      Junior (8-12) – €12
      Mini (0-7) – Free

      http://www.idwcon.org/price-guide

      To purchase your membership, go to:

      http://www.idwcon.org/purchase-membership

      11.3 WADFEST 2013 UPDATES

      Wadfest 2013 will take place from the 9th – 11th August 2013 at a
      much improved site: Wood Green Animal Shelter, King's Bush Farm,
      London Road, Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire, PE29 2NH

      Tickets will be £20 each, a fiver less than at Wadfest 2011.

      http://www.wadfest.co.uk

      11.4 WINCANTON SPRING FLING

      Wincanton Spring Fling 2013 is a go for the weekend of 4th-5th May.
      zMore information can be found on the Wincanton Events section of
      The Discworld Emporium message boards:

      http://www.discworldemporium.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20&start=0

      Here's hoping that spring has truly arrived by then!

      11.5 SCHEIBENWELT 2013 UPDATES

      German Discworld Convention 2013

      "The biennial Discworld Convention takes place at a castle in a
      German speaking country. 2013 the Convention starts at October the
      3rd at Castle Bilstein and ends at October the 6th. During this
      period we offer our more than 200 guests workshops, talks, games,
      guests of honour and Discworld merchandising normaly not available
      in Germany. You can visit us for a day or stay at the castle or a
      hotel nearby."

      Tickets for the whole convention, Thursday through Sunday, are
      €120 (adults), €85 (children). Friday through Sunday or Thursday
      through Saturday: €90 adult, €65 child. Saturday and Sunday
      only: €55 adult, €40 child. Friday and Saturday only: €60
      adult, €45 child. Member prices are slightly lower.

      Despite being in Germany, this year's convention will have a
      distinct Klatchian flavour. For more information and to purchase
      tickets, go to:

      http://www.Discworld-Convention.de

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS

      The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South
      Australia. TCoSG have regular dinner and games nights, plus play
      outings, craft-y workshops, and fun social activities throughout the
      year. For more info and to join their mailing list, go to:

      http://ausdwcon.org/pages/smallgods

      The Broken Vectis Drummers meet on the first Thursday of every month
      from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight. The next
      meeting will probably be on Thursday 2nd May 2013, but do email
      (see below) to check. All new members and curious passersby are very
      welcome! For more info and any queries, contact:

      broken_vectis_drummers@...

      The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) meets on the first
      Friday of every month at the famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
      Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome! The next WOTS meeting will
      (probably) be on Friday 3rd May 2013.

      The next meeting of the Broken Drummers, London's original Discworld
      meeting group, *should* be from 7pm on Monday 6th May 2013 at the
      Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London W2 1JQ, but as their
      website currently claims it will be on Monday 29th April and there
      is an April Fool reference still up, it's best to check!

      "We welcome anyone and everyone who enjoys Sir Terry's works, or
      quite likes them or wants to find out more. We have had many
      visitors from overseas who have enjoyed themselves and made new
      friends. The discussions do not only concern the works of Sir Terry
      Pratchett but wander and meander through other genres and authors
      and also leaping to TV and Film production. We also find time for a
      quiz. The prize is superb. The chance to set the quiz the following
      month."

      For more info, contact BrokenDrummers@...

      or nicholls.helen@...

      http://www.steeljam.co.uk/brokendrummers/

      The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
      Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, have been meeting on a regular
      basis since 2005 but is now looking to take in some new blood
      (presumably not in the non-reformed Uberwald manner). The Flatalists
      normally meet at The Narrowboat Pub in Victoria Street, Skipton, N
      Yorks, to discuss "all things Pratchett" as well as having quizzes
      and raffles.

      Details of future meetings are posted on the Events section of the
      Discworld Stamps forum:

      http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

      Drummers Downunder meet on the first Monday of every month in Sydney
      at Maloneys, corner of Pitt & Goulburn Streets, at 6.30pm. The next
      meeting will (probably) be on Monday 6th May 2013. For more
      information, contact Sue (aka Granny Weatherwax):

      kenworthys@...

      Perth Drummers meet on the traditional date of first Monday of the
      month, from 6pm at The Vic Hotel, 226 Hay St, Subiaco. The next
      meeting should be on Monday 6th May 2013. For more information
      contact:

      Daniel Hatton at daniel_j_hatton@...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) ROUNDWORLD TALES: 21ST CENTURY TOSHERS!

      "Three US sanitation workers are being investigated by police amid
      allegations they sold gold jewellery they found while cleaning
      sewers. A woman and two men, who have not been identified, were
      working for the Californian city of Modesto when they are alleged to
      have found the jewellery, worth $2400, and sold it to a local pawn
      shop, the ABC reports. Police became aware of the workers'
      activities during a routine audit of pawn store records and wondered
      why the city workers had not reported finding the jewellery. Yvonne
      Brawley, who works for a Modesto Gold Jewelry and Coins, said the
      female sanitation worker had been selling jewellery for a number of
      years while the men had sold items at the store last month..."

      http://tinyurl.com/aaym89b

      You've seen the Michelangelo version. You've seen the Leonard da
      Quirm version. And now, presenting:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/schlechterwolf/2442919984/

      (also includes a shout-out to Pterry's wonderful "Pan narrans" in
      the text)

      Presenting Lord Knit-inari (and Wuffles):

      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGo_C1-CIAETRhW.jpg

      The Alzheimer's Society's "talk about it" tea mugs:

      http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/images/holding-header.jpg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

      Blogger Mrs HS Green, an Alzheimer's sufferer who is documenting her
      experiences and gradual decline in her blog, gives her reactions to
      Terry Pratchett: Facing Extinction

      "It was as much about orangutan conservation as the man himself
      living with Alzheimer's Disease (AD). Because he is lucid, I
      needed to feed on his words and experiences of the disease... There
      have been several quotes by Terry Pratchett that I can identify
      with. 'It occurred to me that at one point it was like I had two
      diseases – one was Alzheimer's and the other was knowing I had
      Alzheimer's.' This is probably the quote I that strikes me most.
      Knowing you have Alzheimer's is like being secretly give the date
      of your death and not being able to stop it or control how you will
      move towards it. It is like watching yourself in an out of body
      experience and not being able to intervene. The main thing is that
      nobody around you can imagine for one second how devastating it is
      to understand, and feel your own mental cognitive breakdown... Terry
      Pratchett strikes a chord for myself, I too feel the same, and
      noticed my touch type ability failing. The difference of him
      between 18 years, is striking because it highlights the loss of his
      mind now..."

      http://mrshsgreen.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/the-end-game/

      Bilingual blogger Hans Hoegaerts gives us an essay on why Lord
      Vetinari is a great leader:

      "Vetinari came to leadership after a period of terror upon Ankh
      Morpork. His predecessor was named Mad or Psychoneurotic Lord
      Snapcase, a man who finally managed to stretch every limit of human
      and related decensy, after having a man eat his own nose for an
      unknown crime. Vetinari has since reigned the Pearl of Cities as
      follows: 'He didn't administer a reign of terror, just the
      occasional light shower.' This may seem harsh in our modern
      leadership thinking but then again lets keep in mind that Ankh
      Morpork is not your average kind of organisation. In an attempt to
      stay as far away from complexity as possible (I don't actually
      know the words to explain complex issues but than again, who has),
      we'll focus on 3 key behaviour groups that leaders compete with in
      the race to stay ahead of the imminent chaos that accompanies forced
      relationships in organisations. Having a warm heart, keeping a cool
      head and inspiring working hands...

      "...concerning working hands and entrepreneurship, Vetinari leads
      the leadership polls. His track record in reigning Ankh Mopork
      proves that the man is capable of deducting and activating the
      strenghts of any person he encounters. A true leadership quality. He
      also succesfully adopted legal institutions for theft, murder,
      sexual encounters and many more. In his view there shouldn't be a
      focus on 'weak points' but a strong focus on applying strong points
      when opportunity arises. In short, he's got my vote for
      leadership..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cwmh94f

      Blogger Labyrinth Librarian is back with a review of Sourcery:

      "This book is one of the early volumes of the Discworld series, and
      so it doesn't quite have the depth that later books do. Oh,
      there's certainly a message to be found in it – mainly on the
      subject of identity. Rincewind identifies himself as a wizard,
      despite having all the magical talent of a lump of silly putty, and
      cannot conceive of being anything else. The sourcerer Coin, on the
      other hand, has been told who he is to become, mainly by the spirit
      of his dead (and rather monomaniacal) father. Conina has the blood
      of heroes in her veins, but her dream is to wield nothing sharper
      than a pair of beautician's scissors. And Nijel the Destroyer –
      who looks almost exactly the way his name sounds – desperately
      wants to be a barbarian hero, despite being about as muscular as a
      wet noodle. Despite all of this, however, the characters succeed
      when they decide for themselves who they want to be. The ones who
      suffer the most are the other wizards – the ones who allow Coin to
      tell them who they are. They invest their entire sense of self in
      the inflated image fed to them by the sourcerer – an image of
      power and strength – and when it all comes crashing down around
      them, they are only left with shame and disappointment. In the end,
      they remain who they always were, and that is the tragedy of their
      downfall. So if there's a lesson to be had in this book, that's
      it: know who you are and be it, as hard and as loud as you can.
      Other than that, it's a rollicking little adventure..."

      http://thelablib.org/2013/04/11/review-222-sourcery/

      Blogger Allan Krummenacker reviews Wee Free Men:

      "What's not to like about Terry Pratchett or young girl
      discovering her witch powers? Nothing. But throw in a bunch of
      hyperactive, Pictsies(who are six inch tall, blue-skinned,
      caricatures of Scotsmen) and you've got a priceless piece of fun
      and excitement. Mr. Pratchett's efforts to branch out his popular
      Discworld series into the arena of children and young adults really
      pay off in this first installment... Laughter, excitement, chases,
      drinkin-fightin-stealin-and more fightin', await the reader in
      this fast-paced story. Warning: you may find your sides hurting from
      all the laughing you're likely to wind up doing as you read..."

      http://tinyurl.com/br9gcs8

      Blogger The Barenaked Critic was delighted to read Jingo:

      "To say I loved [Guards! Guards!] is something of an understatement;
      it's become one of those that I push on people now ('What? You
      haven't read Discworld? HERE TAKE THIS.') and it inspired me to
      start making my way through the Discworld series. However, I
      hadn't read another City Watch book until I picked up Jingo from
      the library for this challenge. Within two chapters, I remembered
      why I loved Guards! Guards! so much and why Sam Vimes is my favorite
      Discworld character... Sadly, Vimes's wife, Lady Sybil, doesn't
      make much of an appearance in the story, which is a shame because I
      loved her character so much in Guards! Guards!. When she and Sam are
      working together, they make a great team, and you do get to see a
      very little bit of that here... Pratchett is utterly brilliant at
      combining hilarity and humor with a story that actually is very
      serious. They're trying to stop a war, and as such there's a lot
      of Very Bad Stuff that happens. Pratchett handles it fantastically,
      so that even when you're laughing, you still care about the
      characters and what happens to them. That is not easy to do, and it
      just highlights how well this man has mastered his craft..."

      http://tinyurl.com/d63prod

      Oldscratbag is one very confused-sounding blogger! One of our
      Newshounds sent in this review; reprinted here in its entirety to
      show its entertaining oddness:

      "The novel I am reviewing is Nation by Pratchett which is a very
      good fantasy novel which I bought from kindle. This is the final
      installment in the Nome trilogy. The plot is there are some
      creatures called Nomes obviously based on Gnomes that are trapped in
      18th century Britain. They're trying to get home and embark on a
      trip to Florida on the Cutty Wren obviously based on the Cutty Sark.
      There home apparently is so high up there's no such thing as up.
      Often Terry sacrifices logic for humour. Apparently he is the most
      popular living British author. I think Thud which is part of the
      Discworld series is his best book & that has also got a review on
      this site. A famous thing about him is he has some venus fly traps
      which are carnivorous plants that he mentioned in the About Author
      page of some of his books. He is also quite a charismatic character
      who dresses a bit like a wizard which must help account for some of
      his success. There is a happy ending to this novel although they
      don't get home."

      http://oldscratbag.com/2013/04/05/nation/

      Blogger The Disc reviews the iPad Ankh-Morpork app:

      "I'm a huge fan of the Discworld series, so much so that I have a
      huge Discworld piece as a tattoo. The books changed my life & I hold
      them very dear to my heart. Games are few & far between, in fact
      there hasn't been a Discworld video game since the turn of the
      century. Now admittedly the Ankh-Morpork map isn't a game as such,
      being just a map of the Disc's most famous city. There are no
      levels or missions or plot...it is in fact an interactive map.
      Explore Ankh-Morpork, see the sights & read about all your favourite
      shops, pubs & museums from the series. ake walking tours of some of
      the more famous sights all with a tour guide to explain along the
      way. Notice all the people walking around the bustling city? Keep
      your eyes peeled for some of the Discworld's more famous
      characters. This is where the real fun begins & the map turns into a
      `Where's Wally' type of game. Example: Rincewind is around but
      he moves fast so keep your eyes peeled! The thing about the map is
      it is pure fan service, I couldn't be more pleased with it (a
      little too pricey) but its unlikely to be a spur-of-the moment buy
      for people who have never heard of the twin cities..."

      http://tinyurl.com/c6qw9h9

      Blogger Adrian Balston announces his intention to review/discuss all
      of his beloved Discworld books in order:

      "Mr Pratchett has spent thirty years developing a detailed world
      populated by complex characters and filled out with brilliant
      stories that have a lot to say about the human condition. It is the
      combination of these elements – the fantastical and the
      sociological/anthropological (I'm assiduously avoiding the hateful
      phrase 'magic realism' here) – which I find so appealing... I have
      decided, in this thirtieth year since the first publication of The
      Colour of Magic, to re-read the entire oeuvre yet again, in series
      order. I had already re-read The Colour of Magic and The Light
      Fantastic before the thought occurred to me that I should blog my
      progress, so I shall retrace my steps and start at the very
      beginning. Over the coming weeks and months as I finish each novel
      I plan to write posts which discuss them in terms of what they mean
      to me personally in what can probably best be described as
      autobiographical reviews. I don't actually plan to review the
      books per se, only to write about them from my own experience and
      perspective. This is a fine distinction perhaps, but an important
      one: the critical objectivity required for a review proper can be
      ignored in favour of subjectivity and human warmth..."

      http://tinyurl.com/dx24vzb

      Blogger Nadine hails Wee Free Men:

      "It is with utter charm and magic that Terry Pratchett allows us to
      enter Discworld once more. While Ankh-Morpork may be the center of
      the craziness, the Chalk made for a refreshing, rural setting and I
      couldn't help but love Tiffany. A young girl who knows how to
      spell difficult words, how to cure ailments in sheep, and how to
      smack a monster over the head with a frying pan – she's a
      heroine to my liking. I found this book to be more obviously
      centered in the YA genre than The Amazing Maurice and His Educated
      Rodents which is not to say that it is dumbed down in any way. I
      appreciate how Pratchett manages to keep the plot straight-forward
      (if not exaclty simple) and still respect his younger readers. He
      does not subscribe to the school of 'that's too hard for kids to
      understand'... You know that you will laugh when you pick up a
      Discworld novel and this one is no exception. It was not laugh-out-
      loud funny on every page, some jokes are much subtler than others. I
      believe that any child will adore the Nac Mac Feegles for the
      hilarious creatures that they are. But there is enough for adults to
      get out of this to merit a read..."

      http://tinyurl.com/c77zugl

      ...while blogger Shuggie notes that it's not in his field of
      "Discworld for adults" interest but nonetheless gives it a high
      rating:

      "Wee Free Men is another Discworld YA book and again I had the
      feeling it wasn't aimed at me. Doubly so because the protagonist
      is a young girl and there's a lot in there about not being taken
      seriously because you're a) a girl, b) smart/bookish and c) not
      interested in being a girly girl. All of which is fair enough and a
      great thing for its target audience, it's just not who I am,
      obviously. That said I did like Tiffany. I also liked her
      grandmother, who was similar to but identical with Granny Weatherwax
      (who makes a brief cameo). It's no huge spoiler to say that a
      large part of the book took place in a world where dreams and
      reality inter-mingle..."

      http://tinyurl.com/bocmmh3

      Blogger Vacuous Wastrel is back with a long review of Mort that,
      he says, was not as long as it could have been:

      "Hmm. OK, I'll admit: I'm finding it hard to right[sic] about
      this one. You've probably noticed. There's a very clear reason
      why it's hard to say much about this book: there's almost
      nothing wrong with it. It's not really deep enough to go on about
      its themes, but it's just too damn good to explain its flaws at
      length.

      "It isn't perfect exactly. The two plotlines, while working well
      together, do feel a bit disconnected. The overall plot still feels a
      bit rushed and not entirely coherent – although it's
      considerably better in that respect than any of the previous books.
      [I think ER hit a higher level in the early sections, but Mort has
      fewer flaws]. It has considerable pathos; it has excitement (and a
      duel! and an elephant!); it has a lot of humour. It's the funniest
      Discworld so far, with a good mix of jokes, from the broad to the
      sophisticated. It's clearly a major milestone in solidifying the
      nature of the Disc and setting the benchmark for future novels. Some
      fourth-wall-breaking persists, and I didn't entirely appreciate
      it, but it is better handled than before, and not a major problem.
      Frankly, the only serious defect of this book is that it's just
      too short..."

      vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/2013/03/28/mort-by-terry-pratchett/

      Blogger Kate offers a good essay on Pratchett's witches, especially
      Magrat:

      "The way Pratchett writes these witches, in their several books
      (Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, and Carpe Jugulum
      for this particular trio), they begin as more or less wacky and
      comic, with little apparently at stake other than the settlement of
      local issues. But with Lords and Ladies (and with the other
      Discworld novels from the early 1990s), real darkness arrived.
      Pratchett began to flex his writing muscles and attacked a lot of
      social ills and injustices that he didn't agree with, using his
      fiction as satire. So when the witches face mythological ills in the
      form of elves, which are really, really BAD, like evil, nasty,
      vicious and brutal, they end up fighting not just for the survival
      of their community, and the prevention of cruelty to the weak and
      vulnerable, they're entering metaphorical territory too. And
      Magrat finally stops being wet and soppy, no longer distracted by
      her habit of using occult symbols and mystic ritual. Instead, she
      plays to her strengths, because she's stuck in the castle alone
      with the infiltrating elves, and no-one else can do the magic for
      her..."

      vulpeslibris.wordpress.com/2013/03/22/magrat-note-spelling/

      Blogger Allan Borne's blog-essay analyses Discworld's famous
      ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATION:

      "Mass media had pigeonholed the concept into the familiar robed
      skeleton riding a horse, wielding a scythe, having a voice that
      sends chills down your spine. Attitude towards living beings differs
      from author to author... Pratchett gave us a version that is both
      dorkish and adorable at the same time. Discworld's Death reacts to
      life the same way someone colourblind reacts to a rainbow. He
      witnesses it but he doesn't understand. He puts an end to it but
      that doesn't stop him from being curious. He appreciates life
      despite his role, and his deadpan commentary about the quirks of the
      living border the comically serious that it comes off as something
      deep, witty, and funny at times. We readers can both laugh and learn
      something whenever Death makes a comment about the nature of life
      and the universe, that there should also be a life lesson hidden
      somewhere in the narrative. The things he points out are one for the
      self-help books..."

      http://tinyurl.com/bosnwpx

      And that's it for this early edition. Remember, The Long War (due
      out on 20th June) can be pre-ordered at the special discount UK
      price of £15.19 at Amazon:

      http://amzn.to/13SZTcW

      See you next... week! Or at least within a fortnight. Blimey,
      that makes a change...

      The End. If you have any questions or requests, write:
      interact@...