WOSSNAME -- Main issue -- February 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2013
      February 2013 (Volume 16, Issue 2, Post 1)
      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide
      Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano, L.C. Thomas

      "Please, sir, I want to be a librarian when I grow up."
      – a very young Terry Pratchett, speaking to his local librarian

      "Imagination is only intelligence having a bit of fun."
      – a somewhat older Terry Pratchett, interviewed in 1995 by Tim
      Haigh (see Item 12)

      "Regarding the Discworld app we're taking on board everyone's
      comments about different platforms and are looking into the
      possibility of future developments."

      "All your suggestions are welcome and those that can download it in
      the iPad version let us know what you think"

      "We're v excited about the #discworldapp but also sorry it's not all
      platforms at this early stage but haven't ruled out future

      – from the Transworld Books Twitter account

      Gung Hey Frog Choy?! In the Year of the Frog Ascendant, WOSSNAME
      wishes a very happy Lunar New Year to Agateans everywhere. It's only
      February, but the Discworld and Pratchett news is already beginning
      to ramp up again – do see the Odds and Sods section as well as all
      our other usual features.

      The official 30th Anniversary Discworld logo has arrived! Here:

      A few newsbites of note:

      * Dodger has been named as a 2013 Michael L. Printz Award Honor

      * The sequel to The Long Earth – The Long War – is ready to roll
      – or Step – and will be released in June.

      * The next Discworld novel is currently under construction, but will
      *not* be Raising Taxes.

      * The latest five Discworld title reissues featuring updated Josh
      Kirby covers are now available.

      [Enquiring editors want to know how it's possible for Josh Kirby to
      update his cover paintings. Is Mrs Cake involved?]

      * A treat for UK listeners: Radio 4's production of Eric, starring
      Mark Heap as Rincewind, is being broadcast in four weekly episodes,
      starting on Wednesday 6 March at 23.00 (thereafter on the 13th, 20th
      and 27th March). Also, Radio 4 Extra is will broadcast their
      production of Guards! Guards! at 18.30 nightly from 4th to 11 March;
      afterwards it will be on BBC iPlayer for seven days.

      * From Jason Anthony of DWM, this official clarification about
      Pratchett Junior and the future of Discworld:

      "Some of the newspapers have reported that Rhianna Pratchett will
      take over writing Discworld novels after Terry stops. Rhianna and
      Terry actually meant that Rhianna is well placed to concentrate on
      co-writing the adaptations for Narrativia and working on spin off
      works because of her in depth knowledge of Discworld. Rhianna has no
      plans to write Discworld novels as she feels Discworld these should
      remain her father's legacy."

      Now then... many of you will be aware of the current controversy I
      think of as The Library Thing. One Terry Deary, successful
      children's author and – to judge from his latest and other,earlier
      voiced opinions – dedicated contrarian, has called for the closure
      of public libraries on the grounds that free books should not be
      available for the public to read, and because, despite being very
      successful indeed (some 25 million books sold), he's offended that
      he gets less profit from library payments than he would if every
      person who borrows his titles had to buy them instead. I've never
      met the man, but as a childhood serial library-inhaler whose family
      was too poor to buy *any* of the hundreds and hundreds of books I
      borrowed and enjoyed, I have to say that he comes across as someone
      best described as rhyming with "banker" and referencing the name of
      Solomon Cohen's dog. Deary, deary me...

      In The Times (the Roundworld one!), a short piece about Pterry and
      the Library Thing:

      "Sir Terry Pratchett has criticised the author of the bestselling
      Horrible Histories books for describing libraries as having 'had
      their day'. Terry Deary provoked controversy when he told the
      Sunderland Echo that libraries were a Victorian idea in an
      electronic age... Pratchett, one of Britain's most successful
      writers, best known for his Discworld series, said that Deary risked
      causing permanent damage to a valuable institution. 'Terry Deary is
      fighting the wrong battle at the wrong time by attacking library
      lending,' he said. 'Libraries are in enough trouble as it is. For
      some uncouth reason, local authorities head to the libraries with
      knives whenever there are cuts to be made. After all, they say, the
      internet will take the strain.I don't think so. Libraries were my
      education, school certainly wasn't, and the kids who want to borrow
      the books want to read everything in my experience. We should
      cherish them. People who borrow often go on to buy. It's a good gig,
      being a writer; I don't begrudge the loans whatsoever; it's a way of
      paying back, and forward'..."

      Here be a short video in which Sir Pterry talks about his love of
      libraries and the part they played in his journey to becoming a

      And finally: Cult Classic Theatre's production of Good Omens comes
      to the stage next month in Glasgow! See item 5.1 for details. To
      view the delightful poster on the web, go to:

      On with the show!

      – Annie Mac, Editor

      The new Discworld app for iPad is doing very well indeed, despite it
      being somewhat controversial due to platform exclusivity (at least
      for now).

      For those of you who don't have an iPad – and myriad are the
      Discworld fans who don't – the app is essentially The Compleat
      Ankh-Morpork in "interactive" Hex form, with some added sounds,
      narration, and an assortment of Easter Egg-y bits and bobs.

      To buy the app from iTunes (price $13.99/£9.99):

      From Lynsey at Transworld, a list of features:

      * Two beautiful hand-drawn maps of Ankh-Morpork – a living,
      breathing animated map with over 1,500 residents wandering the
      streets and a detailed street map.

      * Information on over 2,000 businesses, services and landmarks, with
      illustrations and quotes from the Discworld novels.

      * A newly created dynamic panning soundscape that matches the
      atmosphere of a city at work.

      * Animated Discworld characters to discover as they walk the city's

      * A fully searchable city directory and street index

      * Guided walking tours of famous landmarks, narrated by Blackadder's
      Helen Atkinson-Wood.

      * Achievement tracking in Game Center which can be shared through
      social media.

      * Features all the text from the book The Compleat Ankh-Morpork plus
      exclusive new illustrations, animations, audio and video.

      Liberally sprinkled with some Terry Pratchett magic!

      By Stuart Dredge:

      "Discworld: The Ankh-Morpork Map is the work of publisher Transworld
      and app developer Agant, and it faces quite a challenge. Why?
      Discworld has millions of fans of all ages, so there's bound to be
      lots of interest – but also high expectations based on each and
      every fan's mental picture of Ankh-Morpork. Fail to match up, and
      everyone will know about it. The app costs £9.99 on Apple's App
      Store, and is iPad-only for now, requiring iOS 6.0 or later. It
      attempts to create a 'living breathing map' of Pratchett's famous
      city, complete with strolling characters, chuffing chimneys and a
      soundtrack that ebbs and flows as you explore. You pinch to zoom in
      and out of the map, tapping on little icons that appear on
      individual buildings to find out more about them. Major locations
      like the Unseen University have text, quotes and artwork to provide
      more info, taken from print book The Compleat Ankh-Morpork. There's
      a separate top-down street-map with its own index, which is ideal
      for looking up roads mentioned in a particular book, and n mock-
      tourist style, there are also 'walking tours' taking you on themed
      jaunts around the living map, narrated by actress and comedian Helen
      Atkinson-Wood... By focusing on map views, the app also leaves the
      insides of buildings to your imagination, which feels like a
      sensible and sensitive design decision. Fans will always want more,
      of course. I'd love a way to navigate the maps by book in a more-
      organised way than looking up locations and roads manually – a
      page-by-page references list for each novel, to keep to hand when
      reading. It'd also be great to have a bit more on individual
      characters within the app, tracing their appearances in the novels.
      But then that would make this an all-encompassing Discworld
      encyclopedia, rather than the more-focused Ankh-Morpork guide that
      Transworld and Agant were making..."

      From the comments section of the above review:

      It's a great move and the app looks brilliant. As a Discworld fan I
      certainly thought I would get it, but then I saw the price. I work
      in the "app/publishing industry" so believe me, I understand that
      something like this is not cheap to develop. However, pricing it at
      £9.99 is shutting out a massive portion of the market. As Stuart
      said it will probably only be picked up by the hardcore fans but
      even some of those may balk at that price. To be honest £4.99 (or
      Tier 7) is the absolute highest I would consider for an app like
      this – while the content is appealing it is still relatively limited
      when you consider the potential, as Stuart has already outlined. All
      that being said, I hope it does well - this kind of endeavor is
      exactly the kind of thing we need to see more publishers doing.

      I'm sure they've factored in the huge built-in audience that would
      probably buy it at twice the price. Frankly I'm tempted to buy a
      bloody iPad just to have it...

      I was really excited about this until I saw the price tag.

      I was really excited until I saw it was only for ipad

      i was really excited about this until i remembered i had an

      Looks more accurate than Apple Maps

      I'll wait till it's on Google Maps. Just hope Google have the wit to
      send golems out with their cameras – their usual camera cars just
      aren't suitable for Discworld, they'd snarl Ankh-Morpork up a treat.

      I find it odd that people will say effectively: "I've got enough
      spare cash to buy an iPad (minimum spend circa 400 quid) but I won't
      drop a tenner on a decent app". I've bought and read a few discworld
      novels, paid £30 or so for the PC games yeeeears ago, and when I
      finish the books on my reading pile I'll drop a tenner on this.

      Only £10? They are cutting their own throats.

      "Reading Sir Terry Pratchett's Dodger — Booklist's Top of the List
      Youth Fiction winner, 2012 — is a luxurious experience. Perhaps
      that's an odd thing to say about a book set largely in the London
      sewers. Yet to read it is to revel in it. In true Dickensian
      fashion, the story is layered with meanings and twisted with
      complications. It amuses and befuddles in its wordplay and shines
      through its characters, particularly the sharp yet sensitive Dodger.
      In a recent interview, Pratchett says that he found the experience
      of writing the book 'a sheer delight.'...

      "BKL: A good deal of research obviously has gone into the book. How
      did you go about finding the information, and how did it shape the
      fictional story, particularly the details of toshing?

      "Pratchett: Generally speaking, I'm researching all the time. It's a
      part of me that just absorbs. And as several of my Discworld books
      are set in Ankh-Morpork (quite similar to Victorian London in many
      respects), I've always been avidly reading books about the era...

      "BKL: The language in Dodger is delicious — and reads so fluidly.
      What does it feel like when you play about with words, and how do
      you know when it's come out right. Or wrong, for that matter?

      "Pratchett: Playing with words — new words and the slang, most of
      which is real — was a total pleasure. If I find a new word that is
      funny or useful, then that's made my day — or at least made it
      until lunchtime. I really love slang. Slang is absolutely good
      stuff, although I hope kids don't find out what firkytoodle really

      "Best-selling Author Sir Terry Pratchett, diagnosed with Alzheimer's
      five years ago, has one last adventure he wants to go on. Eighteen
      years ago Terry had a life-changing experience in the jungles of
      Borneo, where he encountered Orangutans in the wild for the first
      time. Now he's going back to find out what the future holds for
      these endangered species, and discover a new threat to their habitat
      that could push them to the brink of extinction. His Alzheimer's
      will make the trip an incredible challenge both physically and
      mentally, as he contemplates the role of mankind in the eradication
      of the planet's species, and considers his own inevitable

      "Terry is accompanied by his friend and assistant Rob Wilkins, who
      with Terry when he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2007, and who
      has had to come to terms with caring for Terry in recent years. The
      pair investigate an Indonesian street market where endangered
      species are reportedly on sale, meet the world expert on Orangutans,
      Dr Birute Galdikas, and journey into the rainforest in search of
      Kusasi. Along the way they also share a drink with an indigenous
      tribe whose Shaman thinks he can cure Terry's disease; attempt to
      save an Orangutan trapped in a patch of soon-to-be destroyed forest
      with campaigner Ashley Leiman; and fly above the rainforest to see
      for themselves the devastating effect a new threat to the
      Orangutans' habitat has had on the landscape."

      To view the announcement, and a superb extract from the forthcoming
      show, go to:

      By Karen Reay-Davies:

      "One thing Pratchett doesn't do, even though he is writing an
      historic fantasy set in Lud's Dun, is tread the well-worn path to
      mystical London and its sacred geometry...not too much at least.
      Cloacina aka 'The Lady' is the Roman goddess of the sewers and might
      very well be wandering around in her domain, but he steers clear of
      Hawksmoorian architecture along with that other staple of London-
      centric Victorian adventure, Jack the Ripper. Something for which
      this reader, at least, is grateful...

      "To my mind, 'Dodger' isn't just about the further adventures of
      Oliver Twist's more interesting friend and his creator, neither is
      it a time traveller's guide to Victorian London, although there's
      enough of that to fuel further reading. It's more about overcoming
      adversity, about working hard to be lucky and finding a tosheroon in
      the excreta life sometimes throws at us when it's run out of lemons.
      Dodger is the personification of indomitable spirit and in his
      unorthodox way, nobility with a bucket of wit and a sack or two of
      charm thrown in for good measure. You never feel that he's in any
      real danger and you never doubt that he'll succeed. The grimmer
      aspects of life for poor Victorian Londoners is given a good bit of
      shine and that's fine. This is the work of a master of his craft,
      there's nothing clumsy, nothing crass here..."

      By the mysterious "staff Writer" on Cleveland University's "The

      "The main strength of Pratchett's book is its humanization of
      literary figures is so beloved that they have become almost stock
      characters. Oliver Twist's grinning criminal Fagin is reworked as
      pogrom survivor Solomon, while the Demon Barber gets his
      abovementioned cameo as a PTSD-scarred former surgeon. Historical
      personages also get a nod, as is evidenced by Charles Dickens being
      a central character but also by the appearance of Queen Victoria and
      her court. Fleeting references to a wolfish, radically minded young
      Russian named Karl will also amuse attentive readers..."

      By young reviewer Valentine, in the Guardian Young Reader reviews

      "One thing that stands out for me in this book is the characters.
      They are well conceived, original and amusing. From Dodger, who is
      at home in the sewers but doesn't fit into the world of the gentry
      to the rich heiress Angela Burdett-Coutts, a real historical figure,
      as are quite a few of the characters, who gives away money to the
      poor and knows everyone who is anyone, there is a wide range of
      different characters. Even the minor characters who only appear once
      are well described. A small detail which deserves to be mentioned is
      the drawings at the beginning of each chapter. Although small, they
      are well drawn and capture the events in each particular chapter...
      The use of history in this book is unique - it doesn't give you the
      boring facts about famous people of the times, it gives you
      information about how people lived, right down to the grim
      details... Readers should not overlook the notes at the back of the
      book, they are very interesting. You can find out more about the
      historical aspect, which characters are real and more..."

      We've read this one before, but not on Roundworld! Tokyo chef Toshio
      Tanabe has made the news with his latest culinary creations, all
      based around... wait for it... dirt:

      "This is lab-tested-for-safety, first-class agricultural soil from
      the farmlands north of Tokyo, baked, boiled, triple-filtered and
      mixed with gelatine to produce mud, which is then used as the basis
      for various dishes. Such as? Potato and soil soup... Salad with a
      soil dressing. Soil risotto with a sauteed sea bass and burdock
      root. Soil ice cream. Soil gratin. And soil mint tea... Tanabe's
      latest creation on offer is Soil Surprise, "a ball of mashed potato
      mixed with soil and topped with a soil sauce".

      The article in The Guardian includes video!

      4.5 AND THE REST...

      In The Yorker, an essay by Tom Stranney on real-life themes in
      Discworld novels:

      "In the same way Snuff addresses political corruption and misuse of
      power, Pratchett's 1987 novel Equal Rites is in essence, a
      commentary on gender equality at a time when Women's rights in
      employment were sharply inferior to Men's. This is woven into a
      charming, witty story of witches and wizards. In the beginning, the
      aging wizard Drum Billet knows his death is near and as it is
      customary in the wizarding world of Discworld, travels to witness
      the birth of an eighth son of an eighth son, the boy who is to
      inherit his staff (and powers). The child he passes his staff to
      however turns out to be the girl Esk who grows up adamant she will
      be a wizard and attend the Unseen University in Ankh-Morpork, in a
      world were wizards are men and magical women are confined to being a
      witch. A witches power in the Discworld derives from more
      naturistic, homely powers like alchemy while a wizard's gaze is
      toward 'more important' magic like elemental spells. While this
      relationship between wizards and witches is not a new concept in
      fantasy, Pratchett uses it in Equal Rites to illustrate the 'glass
      ceiling' which some argue has historically kept women from joining
      male-dominated areas of employment..."

      Tracey Sinclair aka Fangirl Unleashed writes in praise of
      Pratchett's female characters:

      "The world of fantasy writing can seem like a boy's club to those
      not familiar with the genre, but not only are there plenty of women
      writing great fantasy novels, but there are also lots of men in this
      genre who write interesting, fully formed female characters – and
      none more so than one of the UK's best-selling (and, apparently,
      most shoplifted) authors – Sir Terry Pratchett... Few writers have
      managed to build a universe as rich and coherent as Terry
      Pratchett's Discworld. Over the course of more than 30 novels, he
      has brought to life a world that reflects our own, except it far
      funnier, more magical, and features a lot more trolls. In the course
      of doing so, he has created some of my favourite characters of all
      time (I think Sam Vimes may actually be my favourite hero in any
      book, any genre, anywhere). And few writers can create women as
      interesting as Pratchett's – before writing this I did a quick
      straw poll on Facebook asking my friends who their favourite female
      characters were, and I got about a dozen different answers, all
      interesting, all good choices, all fiercely argued – I'd struggle
      to think of any other writer who has created half a dozen female
      characters who provoke that kind of passion..."

      Next month (March 2013) sees the world stage premiere of Good Omens,
      adapted and directed by Amy Hoff for Glasgow's Cult. Cult Classic
      has tackled The Man in the Iron Mask and Doctor Horrible's Sing-
      along Blog; now it's time for a turn at the Apocalypse as seen
      through the eyes of our favourite demon-and-angel double act,
      Anathema Device, Newt Pulsifer and the rest!

      When: 20th-24th and 27th-30th March 2013
      Venue: Cottiers Bar, Restaurant & Theatre, 93-95 Hyndland St,
      Glasgow G11 5PU
      Tickets: £3.00-£5.00 To book, ring the theatre box office (0141
      357 4000), or to book online go to:

      For more information, go to:

      Studio Theatre in Salisbury present their production of Going Postal
      now and next month!

      When: 20th–23rd February and 26th February–2nd March 2013
      Venue: Studio Theatre, Ashley Road, Salisbury
      Time: 7:30pm
      Tickets: £10 (£8 concessions). The Charity Gala evening tickets
      cost £12. Tickets are available only from the Salisbury Tourist
      Information Centre, Fish Row, SP1 1EJ (telephone 01722 334956); all
      seats will be numbered and reserved.

      Chichester Players will be presenting a production of Night Watch,
      directed by David Brown, in March.

      When: Wednesday 20th to Saturday 23rd March.
      Venue: New Park Centre, New Park Road, Chichester, West Sussex PO19
      Time and Tickets: info as and when available!

      "Rehearsals are going well. Considering the snow, rain and illness,
      most rehearsals have been well attended and none have been
      cancelled. As always, it is difficult to direct shows given that our
      rehearsals all take place in smaller rehearsal areas, without props,
      than on the stage at New Park. With 27 scenes to direct, David (and
      Romayne) are doing an amazing job and we the cast have to really use
      our imaginations to set the scene."

      Swansea Little Theatre are presenting their production of The Fifth
      Elephant in April.

      When: 17th April to 20th April 2013
      Venue: Dylan Thomas Theatre, Swansea
      Time: 7.30pm
      Tickets: £10/£9 concessions

      Monstrous Productions Theatre Company will present their production
      of Carpe Jugulum in June. All proceeds from the performances will be
      donated Alzheimer's Research UK. They already have a successful
      production of Monstrous Regiment under their belts (last year).
      Details of dates, times and tickets are not yet available, so stay
      tuned to:

      Nullus Anxietas IV will be held in Melbourne on 8th–10th March
      2013, at Bell Rydges, Preston, on a theme of Music with Rocks In.
      Ticket sales close the week before the con, but for the latecomers,
      tickets will be available at the door for $200.

      Two new Discworld games will be available from their creators for a
      test drive": "The Witches", presented by creator Martin Wallace of
      Treefrog Games, and "Clacks" by Backspindle Games, demoed by the
      redoubtable Dr Pat Harkin!

      For all the info, go to:

      Additional guests confirmed!

      Jennifer Brehl

      Senior Vice President, Executive Editor, and Director of Editorial
      Development of Morrow and Harper Voyager Jennifer Brehl has edited a
      variety of bestselling and award-winning books – fiction and
      nonfiction, literary to 'lite.' She started at Doubleday in 1983,
      and after stints in consumer market research and book continuity
      program development, ultimately moved to Avon in 1995 (under
      publisher Lou Aronica). She moved to William Morrow after Morrow and
      Avon were acquired by HarperCollins Publishers in 1999. She has
      worked with Terry Pratchett for the past fourteen years.

      Anne Hoppe

      Anne Hoppe discovered her life's true purpose when she started
      working with Terry in 2001. She has been the U.S. editor for all of
      the original and reissued Pratchett children's books published by
      Harper. She began her new role as senior executive editor at Clarion
      Books, an imprint of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, this January.

      Special guest Science of Discworld co-creator Dr Jack Cohen will be
      spending a certain weekend in Sto La-, er, The Netherlands:

      "Between 24 and 26 May 2013 the second Dutch Discworld Convention
      Cabbagecon 2 will happen at the NH Hotel Zandvoort in Zandvoort aan
      Zee. It will be a happy occasion for fans of Sir Terry Pratchett
      from the Netherlands and abroad to meet each other and have fun. We
      hope to see you too!"

      For the weekend €50.00
      Day tickets €30.00

      Concessions, students and children born after 26 May 1995
      For the weekend €40.00
      Day tickets €25.00
      Children born after 26 May 2008 free only when accompanied by a
      paying adult

      To register for the whole weekend or for day passes, go to:

      The third Irish Discworld Convention will take place on 1st–4th
      November 2013 at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Limerick City. Membership
      prices are:

      Adult – €45
      Concession – €35
      Student – €35
      Teen (13-18) – €18
      Junior (8-12) – €12
      Mini (0-7) – Free

      To purchase your membership, go to:

      Wadfest 2013 will take place from the 9th – 11th August 2013 at a
      much improved site: Wood Green Animal Shelter, King's Bush Farm,
      London Road, Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire, PE29 2NH

      Tickets will be £20 each, a fiver less than at Wadfest 2011.

      German Discworld Convention 2013

      "The biennial Discworld Convention takes place at a castle in a
      German speaking country. 2013 the Convention starts at October the
      3rd at Castle Bilstein and ends at October the 6th. During this
      period we offer our more than 200 guests workshops, talks, games,
      guests of honour and Discworld merchandising normally not available
      in Germany. You can visit us for a day or stay at the castle or a
      hotel nearby."

      Tickets for the whole convention, Thursday through Sunday, are
      €120 (adults), €85 (children). Friday through Sunday or Thursday
      through Saturday: €90 adult, €65 child. Saturday and Sunday
      only: €55 adult, €40 child. Friday and Saturday only: €60
      adult, €45 child. Member prices are slightly lower.

      Despite being in Germany, this year's convention will have a
      distinct Klatchian flavour. For more information and to purchase
      tickets, go to:

      Hanna May Jones says...
      Re-read Colour of Magic last week. Still as magical, insane, funny
      and just plain bonkers as it was the first time round 15 years ago.
      Straight onto The Light Fantastic now. LONG LIVE THE DISCWORLD!

      Michael Day says...
      Your humour,insight and absurd sensibility have been an inspiration
      and pleasure from the very first page of "The Colour Of Magic" til
      the last page of Dodger. Well done that Man!

      Gingernut Sawyer says...
      My partner and I have all of your books (currently some in
      quadruplicate, but the extra shall be finding new homes soon). We
      seem to be passing our love of your work onto the next generation -
      our nearly 3 year old asks us to read the "cow" picture book to him
      every night... sometimes more than once.

      Kerry Manning says...
      Just re-read Strata and Dark side of the Sun after a 25 year rest.
      Absolutely brilliant, and a lovely insight into the possible
      beginnings of the marvellous Disc World we all know and love.
      Reading Strata was the equivalent of getting the back off the
      television. Have a re-read, you won't regret it.

      Simon Rosser says...
      The new app brings Ankh-Morpork to life in so many ways. It's
      fantastic. The guided tours led by Mrs Miggins are especially good,
      and so typical of such tours on the round world, as you follow the
      raised umbrella :)

      Bob Miller says...
      Thanks so much for the Discworld universe. As my children get older,
      they take up the series which gives me the opportunity to live it
      over and over again. There is a great deal of joy in the process.
      Being an old gamer, I await a brilliant implementation of Discworld
      on the various platforms. The thought of Rincewind and the Luggage
      racing from misadventure to misadventure just tickles me to no end.
      So an interactive map is a great toe in the water and gives me hope
      that someone can do justice to your vision one day on these other

      Scott Dobek
      There is a crinkle in the universe, right between Disney World and
      Universal Studios, Florida, that would be perfect for DiscWorld to
      reside. If you build it, THEY might come.

      Oliver Cromwell II says...
      Terry Pratchett is PURE GENIUS. The only man that can write a book
      that becomes a film in your head as you read it. May your mind last
      another 40 years Sir.

      Tanya Pemberton says...
      Dear Terry, I've decided to use a couple of your books as a map to
      re-imagine the world. I figure they're funny, deeply insightful, and
      generously human, and no-one's got to get nailed to anything. Hope
      that's cool.

      Francois Schaut says...
      Dear Terry. You are an absolute genius! I', looking forward to your
      next disc world novell about a civil war breaking out in Ankh-
      Morpork between disorganiser users. Cabbage OS on one side and Golem
      OS on the other. Have Lord Vetinary use something like Shutter 8 and
      definitely have the Thieves and Fools guild involved. Some of the
      dialogs could be definitely based on the comments left here on this
      page :)

      Mark Peiffer says...
      Thank you much for all your books , but right now, i want to thank
      you more for the documentary that i just saw about "choosing when
      your time has come" . My mother didnt had the choice, has alzheimer
      too, and she dont even know anymore who i am. best wishes

      Mike Portsmouth says...
      Terry, you need to invent a GnomeBook or ElfPad that could become
      the ultimate Ankh-Morpork fashion accessory and then cause chaos
      when it goes wrong... the Librarian could create a search engine
      called Oookle...

      Pat Oberlein says...
      Terry Pratchett is the only writer I know that can prevent suicide
      no matter how many times you read his books over. Thank you I now
      have grandchildren, pain control and happiness. Without Terry i'd be
      long gone

      Daniel Silva says...
      The only author that brings me a smile in rainy days. Thank you so
      much for Discworld and all the mad characters in it. I'm especially
      fond of Cohen the Barbarian^^

      Emily Parker Slough says...
      Thank you for the sheer joy you have brought me and my son –
      sharing gut-clenching bouts of laughter over that camel, or Sir
      Vimes, or the aging heroes. I am ready to go back and start all the
      books all over again.

      Neil Ellis says...
      Just red Equal Rites again. Forgot just how good it is. :-) This
      would be great as the next Discworld film!! :-)

      Lee Vaughan says...
      Just finished reading the long earth. I couldn't put it down it
      reminded me so much of strata and dark side of the sun I'm going to
      have to read them again can't wait for the long war

      Kevin Rogers says...
      i dont think i could of got through 5 years with g4s working
      security on the night watch, without pratchett. thank you to the
      person who left my first book on the night bus. and thank you Terry.

      Finn Cameron says...
      You have been my hero ever since I can remember, if it's the real
      Terry that admins the page (which I doubt) I would like to give my
      full 100% respect to you, you have produced some of the greatest
      works of literature I have ever read. I have every one of your books
      on my shelf and have read them all cover to cover, no world is more
      captivating, interesting or just damn funny as the Discworld an the
      fact that you manage to produce all of this genius with Alzheimer's
      shows me what an unbelievable inspiration you are. I want my kids
      growing up reading your books because I'd feel as though I was
      depriving them of something if they weren't. I hope you have a long
      and happy life ahead of you

      Rich Wall says...
      Loving the app Terry. Particularly like the soundscape, so
      immersive. Can you enable it as background music so we can surf the
      web while listening to the sounds of the city?

      Kalman Balla says...
      Dear Master, With this "old head" I started to read your books, and
      I take this opportunity to thank you to hold me with your humoristic
      tales. I must confess you inspire me with the Disc and its
      characters and as I have been preparing for several years to create
      my own novel, now - finally - I started it from your influence.
      Thank you!

      The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South
      Australia. TCoSG have regular dinner and games nights, plus play
      outings, craft-y workshops, and fun social activities throughout the
      year. For more info and to join their mailing list, go to:

      The Broken Vectis Drummers meet on the first Thursday of every month
      from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight. The next
      meeting will probably be on Thursday 7th March 2013, but do email
      (see below) to check. All new members and curious passersby are very
      welcome! For more info and any queries, contact:

      The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) meets on the first
      Friday of every month at the famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
      Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome! The next WOTS meeting will
      (probably) be on Friday 1st March 2013.

      The next meeting of the Broken Drummers, London's original Discworld
      meeting group, will be from 7pm on Monday 4th March 2013 at the
      Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London W2 1JQ.

      "We welcome anyone and everyone who enjoys Sir Terry's works, or
      quite likes them or wants to find out more. We have had many
      visitors from overseas who have enjoyed themselves and made new
      friends. The discussions do not only concern the works of Sir Terry
      Pratchett but wander and meander through other genres and authors
      and also leaping to TV and Film production. We also find time for a
      quiz. The prize is superb. The chance to set the quiz the following

      And here be their February meet report:

      "I arrived late to find a large gathering. We had three new members
      Ellie, organiser of the Irish Discworld Convention, Jonny and
      Charles, also known as Murgatroyd on the forum. We also had a visit
      from the eminent pathologist Pat Harkin, who is in London for a few
      days. He came wearing his duck bow-tie and cufflinks (this will mean
      nothing to those who don't go to Discworld events, the story is long
      and complicated and has been the subject of proper academic research
      by a Finnish folklorist).

      "Colin took an environmentally friendly approach to the quiz. He
      recycled one from a few years ago. He actually brought two but
      decided to use the harder one in honour of Dr Harkin's visit. This
      decision was popular with everyone else as the difficult quiz was
      short. I remembered some of the questions from last time. The good
      folk of Hartlepool hanging a monkey in the mistaken belief that it
      was a Frenchman stuck in my mind. However, it was Tim W who won the
      quiz and the dubious honour of setting the next one. I've noticed
      that responses to quizzes are becoming increasingly violent. This
      time it was suggested that after the quiz Colin should be taken
      outside and burned. Once again I pointed out that anyone can do a
      quiz or an alternative activity but was told that it is far more fun
      to criticise a quizmaster than it is to be one. Nevertheless I
      advise Tim to proceed with caution."

      For more info, contact BrokenDrummers@...

      or nicholls.helen@...

      The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
      Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, have been meeting on a regular
      basis since 2005 but is now looking to take in some new blood
      (presumably not in the non-reformed Uberwald manner). The Flatalists
      normally meet at The Narrowboat Pub in Victoria Street, Skipton, N
      Yorks, to discuss "all things Pratchett" as well as having quizzes
      and raffles.

      Details of future meetings are posted on the Events section of the
      Discworld Stamps forum:

      Drummers Downunder meet on the first Monday of every month in Sydney
      at Maloneys, corner of Pitt & Goulburn Streets, at 6.30pm. The next
      meeting will (probably) be on Monday 4th March 2013. For more
      information, contact Sue (aka Granny Weatherwax):

      Perth Drummers meet on the traditional date of first Monday of the
      month, from 6pm at The Vic Hotel, 226 Hay St, Subiaco. The next
      meeting will be on Monday 4th March 2013. For more information

      Daniel Hatton at daniel_j_hatton@...

      Backspindle Games, creators and makers of the popular Discworld
      board game "Guards! Guards!", have a new website. Go look!

      Also, David and Leonard have designed a new Discworld game! "Clacks"
      will be premiering at Nulls Anxietas IV in a few weeks' time, and
      will be available to the rest of us at some later date. Stay
      tuned... and check out the first item in Images of the Month for a
      look at the cover!

      9.2 THUD! NEWS

      Courtesy of the Cunning Artificer's Discworld Emporium, the classic

      "Thud is a game of two halves. A player takes his turn to play the
      fast moving Dwarfs as they attempt to trap Trolls in a carefully
      constructed ambush, only to then take the part of the fearless
      Trolls in the second battle as they lumber slowly yet powerfully
      around the board. You can learn to play in a matter of minutes and
      hone your skills over years. A game can last from half an hour to
      gruelling day-long battles, and no two games are ever the same.

      "This is our most popular and affordable version to date. Contained
      within a cotton travel bag, each set comprises 32 Dwarfs, 8 Trolls,
      Thud stone, and canvas Thud board, along with a book of rules and a
      treatise penned by the knightly hand of Terry Pratchett. The rule
      book provides all you need to pick up the main game along with rules
      for Koom Valley Thud! - a speed version of the game which has an
      entirely different dynamic but is equally as playable as Thud
      itself. Effectively this is two games in one.

      "The Board measures 47 x 47 cms and is screenprinted onto durable,
      heavyweight natural cotton.The pieces are cast in resin with a
      carved bone effect finish, and polished with natural beeswax. The
      dwarfs stand 35mms tall and the Trolls stand at 62mms.

      "Thud is made exclusively under licence of the Discworld Emporium."

      Price: £30.00
      Availability In Stock
      Model Table Edition

      For more info, and to order:

      A teaser shot of Backspindle Games' forthcoming new production,
      "Clacks, a Discworld Game":

      Lara Croft meets her (re)maker:

      Paul Kidby, working on his largest-ever painting. The subject matter
      is familiar:

      The Ankh-Morpork Consulate, in the depth of a Roundworld winter:

      Ray Friesen's new Terry-and-Rob icons:

      ...and an Australian Mary River turtle looks like it's working its
      way up in the multiverse to something of a planet-bearing nature:

      Blogger queenbitterblue, having never read a Discworld book before,
      chose to start with I Shall Wear Midnight – and yet she felt the
      love at once:

      "Most people I asked said he wrote weird books, but I thought he
      wrote books in a sort of fairytale way. So you can imagine my
      surprise when it talked about hen nights, dildos, and looking up
      kilts. Yeah, I was a bit shocked. The book is basically about a
      witch, the hag o' the hills, Tiffany Aching, trying to defeat an
      ancient evil on her own, in her own way. Which is hard to do when
      you have a mob of Nac Mac Feegles constantly following you. Oh, the
      Feegles! No doubt my favourite characters... Not that the Feegles
      are my only favourite characters. There's also Nanny Ogg, an often
      drunken, lewd witch, and Preston, an intelligent, hardworking boy.
      They're also brilliant...

      "I'm finding it quite intriguing, really. If you look at reading
      from a certain perspective, once you've read (or understood the
      concept) of a few books, you can understand them all. Romeo and
      Juliet, for example. Once you've read Romeo and Juliet you can see
      the similarities between that and Noughts and Crosses by Malorie
      Blackman, or the movie Titanic, the list could go on. But once again
      I can parallel a book to To Kill a Mockingbird. We could call the
      Cunning Man a personification of prejudice, and how it engulfs
      everything in its path of foul fog. How it can never really be
      killed, but lies in the shadows, waiting, biding its time until they
      find someone so foul they can embody prejudice. Poison goes where
      poison's welcome, after all. And how it takes a special sort of
      person, like Atticus Finch or Mistress Weatherwax, to stand up to
      this personification of evil..."

      Blogger Lakshani Suranga is endlessly delighted by The Truth:

      "Pratchett is a scathing political satirist who cleverly combines
      the reality of our world with the intelligently designed fantasy
      world of his. The fact that the Discworld is flat and is perched on
      the backs of four enormous elephants that stand on a giant turtle
      which swims in space, is sometimes entirely irrelevant when we get
      lost in the elaborately woven stories taking place on it. Although
      Discworld's main city Ankh-Morpork is overrun with wizards, dwarfs,
      vampires, trolls and werewolves, we still find the characters
      relatable to real people. We see the reality we usually fail to see
      in our own world through the stories of Pratchett. And they are
      usually bottomless pits of humour and sarcasm... The Truth speaks
      more truth of the nature of news, politics and the society of our
      everyday world than real life narrations. It is a glimpse into our
      own world and selves accompanied by uniquely crafted irreverent

      Blogger Chris Gladis is back with a review of Thud!:

      "Dwarfs play a pretty huge role in a lot of the stories that take
      place in Ankh-Morpork, the great cosmopolitan city of the Disc,
      mainly because they're a race that, to humans, seems mysterious and
      difficult to really understand. The dwarfs have their ways, which
      they don't share with outsiders, and find it difficult to reconcile
      living in a socially diverse city while still retaining their
      essential Dwarfishness. Through the Dwarfs, Pratchett is able to
      deal with an issue that most modern countries are struggling with in
      the 21st century – immigration... The themes of this book are
      varied. There is, of course, the theme of culture clash – how much
      should one be allowed to keep the culture one grew up in? How many
      concessions must you and society make in order to keep everyone
      happy? The answer, in case you were curious, is hard to pin down..."

      Blogger Corrina MacGill's review of Dodger:

      "As always, Terry Pratchett creates an unforgettable character who
      reacts to the world in the most logical way possible, which is of
      course completely unlike a normal person would. Dodger never sets
      out to have an adventure – things just happen to him, and he does
      what he thinks is best. And somehow rescuing a girl from being
      killed leads to preventing international incidents and being
      knighted by Queen Victoria. Dodger is a very honest man, since he
      has too few brains to lie – it's just that truth is very much a
      matter of perception, such as in the case of Miss Simplicity and
      Miss Serendipity. Dodger is very much in the style of Pratchett's
      Discworld series, only without the magic and set in something that
      might have been our world once..."

      Blogger Christina Rosenthal thinks Making Money is pure gold:

      "In some ways, the plots of Discworld novels is only an excuse for
      Terry Pratchett to get to play with language. I simply adore reading
      the creative uses of language, he puts into the text every chance he
      gets. Writings like this: 'I know exactly what you never said. You
      refrained from saying it very loudly.' (p. 124) and 'He'd reached
      the point where he was so wet that he should be approaching dryness
      from the other end.' (p. 214) and 'The only reason that her words
      came out at the speed of sound was that she couldn't make them go
      any faster.' (p. 314). Oh, and of course this one which reminds me
      of a quote from Doctor Who: 'That is a very graphic analogy which
      aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong
      in every possible way.' (p. 266) I really liked this novel even
      though it was not quite as good as Going Postal – probably in part
      because it is somewhat the same story. But still, the additions of
      the chair dog Mr Fusspot and his very special rubber toy, Lord
      Vetinari and his crossword puzzles, the Department of Post-Mortem
      Communication at Unseen University, the Lavish family in it's
      entirety and especially Cosmo and his Vetinari obsession, make this
      it's own novel, quite capable of standing on it's own two feet. And
      I'm definitely looking forward to Raising Taxes, the third von
      Lipwig novel, when that is published at some point..."

      Blogger Vacuous Wastrel has mostly positive feelings about Equal
      Rites (ish):

      "Where the first two novels proceed at breakneck pace from one set
      piece comedy episode to the next, Equal Rites wants to actually be a
      novel rather than a loosely-linked sketch show. It takes its time,
      at least by the standards of the first two books – more than a
      third of the novel is set-up, before the quest even starts, and
      halfway through the book we've barely started. As a result, there is
      far more characterisation than in the earlier books – of the
      protagonist, Esk, but more importantly of the dominant character,
      Granny Weatherwax, and more broadly of the 'old remote rural
      Britain' setting; when we get to Ankh-Morpork, it has been
      transformed from a violent and chaotic sword and sorcery city of
      adventurers into a parody of old London, complete with class
      structure and register-switching accents. It's all very comfortable
      and familiar stuff, but it brings a depth, and in particular warmth,
      that was lacking in the first two installments.

      "The main plot, meanwhile, goes for the empathic throat of teenage
      geeks everywhere, as it focuses on an intelligent, sassy,
      rebellious, yet studious tomboy defying both gender roles and
      authority figures at the same time. Obviously, on that level I loved
      it. The early sections in particular also do a great job of making
      magic seem magical – and strange, and even disturbing... It feels
      like the first half of the novel is what Pratchett actually wanted
      to write about, and the ending is just something he threw in because
      he didn't know what else to do... it does make me nostalgic for the
      Things from the Dungeon Dimensions, sadly lacking in later books.
      Sure, their plot utility is limited, and they are overused terribly
      in these early books, but they sure are creepy. They have a
      wonderful combination of simultaneous patheticness and unspeakable
      danger that really adds an edge to these books.."

      ...but less positive ones about The Light Fantastic, and lists
      cavils very articulately in a long review:

      "TCOM had been a massive critical and commercial success, and if
      Pratchett was going to make it as an author he was going to have to
      find a way to replicate it. And that, I'm afraid, is what we get in
      TLF – a replica... Particularly galling to me were the jokes that
      relied on real-world things, like late-night prawn biryanis, which I
      felt damaged the suspension of disbelief even more than the overly
      flippant and obvious narration... it feels as though Pratchett
      hasn't yet found a voice he's comfortable inhabiting... It's still
      broadly entertaining (particularly if you like puns), has some
      enjoyable characters (though sadly one of them gets killed off early
      on), and has a genuinely interesting (and in places even a little
      moving) character in the form of the aging Cohen the Barbarian. The
      finale is well-worked and satisfying. It's short. And for the
      Discworld fan, it marks a move toward a more coherent world and a
      more epic scope (though most of the places featured here will still
      never be seen again). And among the bad jokes there are still the
      occasional gem of authentic wit..."

      Blogger fromafantasyfan is very satisfied with the telly version of
      Going Postal:

      "Going Postal was one of Pratchett's better books in my opinion, but
      the key thing is that it really stands alone. You don't need to be
      deeply versed in Discworld lore to appreciate it, and that makes it
      a great choice for a TV adaption... Going Postal does a great job of
      capturing Pratchett's magic. While Ankh Morpork is not quite as
      dirty and grimy as I would have liked, all the characters are spot
      on. Richard Coyle (best known as Jeff in Coupling) is perfect as
      Lipwig, and he is watched every step of the way by the brilliant
      Charles Dance, who plays Patrician Vetinari. Dance captures the
      attention whenever he is on screen and that is exactly what Vetinari
      should do. The humour is also here as well. A number of Pratchett's
      books are satires on elements of modern life. For example, Moving
      Pictures took aim at the film industry. Here the Clacks are really
      standing in for email. When Gilt introduced the new 'mobile Clacks:
      so you can send messages wherever you go,' I was in hysterics. Going
      Postal is not a perfect 3 hours of television, but it is about as
      close as you could get in adapting a Terry Pratchett book..."

      ...as is blogger Vovatia:

      "This is the third live-action adaptation of a Discworld book, and
      there really doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to the order in
      which they made them. The last one was The Color of Magic, based on
      the first two books, while Going Postal is a relatively recent
      addition (well, within the past ten years, anyway) to the series.
      Anyway, it was a pretty faithful adaptation, probably helped by the
      fact that it was three hours long, so they could fit in a lot of
      stuff. It was originally shown in two parts, so I guess it was sort
      of a mini-series. There were things that I noticed weren't included,
      but these didn't really affect the story... The actors all played
      their roles quite well, particularly Claire Foy as Adora Belle
      Dearheart... The look of the film was great as usual, and I thought
      rendering Moist von Lipwig's dreams as silent movies was an
      interesting touch. I noticed that the banshee looked like an old-
      school movie monster, and I was glad to see how the Clacks worked,
      since that always confused me a bit when I read about it in the

      Blogger Shuggie is back with a thumbs-up for Night Watch:

      "A lot of the enjoyment of this book lies on whether or not you
      enjoy the character of Sam Vimes. Fortunately I do. Here he is at
      his most Vimes-y. He's alone in the city but quickly becomes part
      of, then effectively runs, a Watch house and plays a major role in
      the ongoing historical events. His sense of command of the
      situation, his common sense and level-headedness in general, along
      with the fact that he clearly cares about people, all go to make you
      like Vimes in this book. There are also younger versions of a few
      familiar faces from the Ankh-Morpork based books, which is fun. It
      is quite a serious book. The jokes don't flow as quick and fast as
      they do in other Discworld novels and there's some grim business
      takes place. But that didn't particularly put me off..."

      Blogger Krysty offers an articulate paean to a number of Pratchett
      novels, especially the Watch-centric ones:

      "I just have to say, though, that for all my gripes about too much
      genre savviness in literature (and media in general) I have to give
      it to Pratchett. The man knows how to play the savvy. This, ladies
      and gentlemen, is how you do genre savvy without going the entire
      wink-wink-nudge-nudge-here's-a-sinkful-of-get-it-huh-huh? routine.
      Pratchett is a master. I love all of the characters (some more than
      others) but I suppose the real reason the Watch arc is so brilliant
      is because it gives us Sam Vimes. He's flawed, and he's cranky, and
      he hates everyone, but that's what makes him such an incredible
      person. Carrot is great (obviously, because he's the rightful blank
      of Ankh-Morpork) and I have a soft spot for the barely human Nobby
      Nobbs, but there's something very interesting about Vimes that
      everyone else pales in comparison. Perhaps it's because he's so
      imperfect. Vimes grapples with demons (his own and another one
      acquired) and at every step he questions himself and what he's doing
      and if he's doing these things for the right reasons. He's a nasty,
      temperamental man, but he's a good man..."

      Blogger gingerlibrarian's short review of Dodger:

      "I really like the plot of Dodger, but the book is so character-
      driven that I often felt like the story was coming to a standstill.
      Pratchett does a lot of world-building, though he admits in a note
      at the end that he took some liberties with history to make it all
      fit... A lot of detail is given about life in Seven Dials and the
      ins and outs of being the lowest of the classes. The language adds
      to the authenticity. All of this detail immerses you in Victorian
      London, but like I said, I was often wondering when the mystery of
      the girl would pick back up, and I ended up skimming quite a few
      pages. I would recommend this to people who like to be immersed in

      Blogger Sam has very mixed feelings about the audiobook of The Long

      "With the alternate worlds, Pratchett and Baxter move on past the
      first and second ideas (e.g. jumping into another world, walking
      past the bank vault's wall, and jumping back to gather the cash;
      assassinations; heading for well-known gold mines and oil wells;
      etc.) and past even the new Pilgrim and 'back to primitivism' colony
      expeditions to the social-political implications: the poor urban
      centers emptying out into the verdant, fertile, unclaimed wilds.
      Overpopulation and deep poverty in India? What if with a potato and
      some wires you could step into a world where an orchard of unpicked
      apples rests near a stream of fresh, unpolluted water, alongside a
      soft green field ready for planting? And the further implications of
      these get at least a cursory exploration, as nation-states grapple
      with this exodus of their tax base, etc. There are even some more
      twists, such as a minority who cannot step, or if they can step it
      is only with severe side effects beyond the 'normal' nausea and
      vomiting. This creates a quasi-religious political movement, and an
      interesting side-plot through the novel... As I entered the final
      third of the book, I wrote that I was very puzzled as to why I've
      seen so many 'meh' reviews of this book..."

      ...while blogger thewaxenpith is enthusiastic:

      "If not plot or characterisation, then what redeemed this novel?
      Well, it has, of course, its fair share of funny lines. In fact, the
      existence of such lines was one of the main clues as to whether
      Baxter or Pratchett wrote a particular section. Beyond that, though,
      were the little thought experiment explorations of what might happen
      in a universe like this. I liked the fight scene where elves were
      flashing in and out of sight, jumping back and forth between one
      universe and another. There wasn't too much done with this here, but
      in the hands of a good fight director and special effects team this
      would look very impressive on the screen (I was reminded of the
      Nightcrawler fight scene at the beginning X-Men 2). I liked the
      solution to the problem of large head size to small hip size during
      birth — skip birth and just step next door, leaving your
      'newborn' behind to be picked up immediately afterwards. I liked
      the thought they put into the economic and political outcomes of
      sudden access to an infinity of resources. I liked that they added
      one small limitation to stepping (iron can't cross the dimensional
      walls), and were able to turn this into a whole cascading sequence
      of sensible happenings (for one thing, blacksmithing suddenly
      becomes a very valuable skill). The book is definitely an easy read.
      It has much of the charm that you'd expect from a Pratchett novel,
      and much of the hard sci-fi, evolutionary considerings that you'd
      expect from a Baxter novel..."

      Cheryl Mahoney is back with a loving review of Mort:

      "There's a whole collection of fun characters here, as I would
      expect from Terry Pratchett. Mort undergoes an interesting
      transformation from ordinary screw-up to resembling Death just a
      little too much – including this problem he keeps having passing
      through objects. Princess Keli is great fun, especially as she
      becomes immensely frustrated when the universe thinks she's dead and
      everyone keeps forgetting about her. She's an odd blend of very
      strong and also quite inept in dealing with the world–as happens
      when you've been a princess all your life, and never needed to deal
      with the world. Ysabell, Death's daughter, is an odd blend of crazy
      and ultimately endearing... My favorite character here was Death
      himself. I tend to like him best in a supporting role–sometimes
      when he's too much the focus it gets old (while often his two-
      paragraph cameos are the funniest bits of other books). Here,
      there's enough focus on Mort and the others that Death gets just the
      right balance–plenty of him, but not too much... There isn't a
      huge lot of satire and depth here, but there are some discussions on
      justice and eternity and the meaning of life..."

      Blogger Marcia Meara hails A Hat Full of Sky:

      "Pratchett brings the characters of this world to life in a totally
      believable manner, and makes you care about every one of them. The
      magic things that happen throughout the tales are unique to this
      world and presented from a perspective that I've never seen before,
      skewed in a way that I find truly addictive. And if Tiffany Aching
      is the oldest 11 year old you ever met, well, it works, that's all.
      In addition to wonderful character and world building, Pratchett has
      an elegant way with phrasing now and then that I really enjoy. And
      his humor, from the wry and witty, to the laugh out loud hilarious,
      makes me glad over and over that I finally started reading this
      series. If you love stories told from the perspective of clever
      children, and which include various interpretations of Celtic
      mythology, the concept of witches as guardians of those with no
      voices of their own, and all things magical, I highly recommend this

      ...and Wee Free Men:

      "The Wee Free Men is actually the 30th book in Terry Pratchett's
      Discworld series. It had the feel of a stand alone novel, and I
      suspect it might be the first of the Tiffany Aching books, so
      perhaps the entire series has various books about individual
      characters who live in, or on, the Discworld. I'll have to get back
      to you on that one. But this introduction to the ten-year old
      Tiffany was priceless... Tiffany's journey of discovery about her
      own abilities and her place in her world is magical, touching, and
      so much fun.

      "The Wee Free Men of the title refers to a clan of kilt-wearing
      pictsies (NOT pixies, as they are quick to inform you), the Nac Mac
      Feegles, who are only six inches high, with so many tattoos they
      appear to have blue skin. These guys are hilarious, with wonderfully
      colorful Scottish accents and faces that look 'like a hatful of
      knuckles.' With names like Rob Anybody, and No'-as-big-as-Medium-
      Sized-Jock-but-bigger-than-Wee-Jock-Jock, you are laughing even
      before they open their mouths. I don't know when I've enjoyed a
      group of characters as much..."

      Blogger Jonathan Feinstein gives the highest possible marks for the
      audiobook of Dodger:

      "Pratchett has a talent for twisting cliche phrases and turning
      common situations on their heads. Dodger, as one might imagine, sort
      of refers to the Dickens character, the Artful Dodger, although
      there is little or no real resemblance between Pratchett's Dodger
      and the kid in Oliver Twist. Dodger is a lower-class orphan who has
      managed to get out of the work-house and, after a brief
      apprenticeship, as a chimney sweep has learned out to make sort of a
      living as a tosher – one who sifts through the sewers of London
      looking for coins and other valuables. Additionally, he has had the
      good fortune to make friends with a Jewish gentleman by the name of
      Solomon Cohen, so all-told Dodger is really somewhat better off than
      most people of lower-class London of the period... I have never
      listened to a Stephen Briggs reading that did not satisfy
      completely. The man is truly one of the best readers it has ever
      been my privilege to listen to. But do not take my word for it.
      Download or buy the disks of any of the audiobooks he has read and
      hear for yourself. Mister Briggs is a master of the voice and each
      one of his characters is spot on perfect. A delight to listen to
      especially when the story is as much fun as Dodger is..."

      Blogger L.S. Engler is back with a rave review of Unseen

      "Right from the start, I loved the way Pratchett was twisting the
      usual conventions of familiar stories in his usual fashion, and
      there's a lot more that really impressed me about this particular
      book. Quite often, the over-arching theme underlying the story is
      almost too dense, but I never felt as though that aspect was too
      heavy-handed, as a few of his books have been. And I immediately was
      drawn into several of the characters. Some of them are older; I was
      delighted to discover that I'm as entranced by the dynamic between
      Vetinari and Ridcully as I am by Vetinari and Vimes' interactions.
      Some of them are newer, and two of my favorite new Discworldians.
      Glenda is such a wonderful main character, realistic and relate-able
      and quite frankly a character we don't see enough of in fiction (and
      so cool to see one from a male author, as well). Plus, I'm now
      convinced that no one can make beautiful, realistic, perfectly
      flawed relationships like Pratchett can. Though I'm pretty sure no
      one can ever top Carrot and Angua as my favorite literary couple
      (though Vimes and Sybil are in the running, too), Pr<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)