WOSSNAME -- Main issue -- January 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2013
      January 2013 (Volume 16, Issue 1, Post 1)
      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide
      Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano, L.C. Thomas
      time)

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      03) THE DISCWORLD APP
      04) ODDS AND SODS DEPARTMENT
      05) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      06) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS
      07) THE THINGS PRATCHETT FANS SAY...
      08) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS
      09) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      10) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "Ponder Stibbons wouldn't use an iPad."

      – ivantalboys in The Guardian (article comments), 09 November 2012

      "I have just recently watched 'The Color of Magic','Hogfather' and
      'Going Postal' and I have to say Sir Terry – you are a MUCH better
      actor than Stephen King!"

      – Jeff Whitney, Facebook user

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      2013 is The Year of the Frog Ascendant, and that's official! It's
      also the 30th birthday of Discworld. Lynsey of Transworld says, "We
      have lots of exciting plans on the way to mark the occasion!"

      Fan Matthew London want to know: "Might as well go to the source. Is
      there a resource for Discworld pronunciation? After 20 years of
      reading the books I found out I had been saying A'tuin all wrong. I
      can only imagine what else I'm messing up." For what it's worth, I
      – and everyone else I know – always pronounced A'Tuin as "uh-
      TOO-in" and assumed this was 'right"; then again, despite having
      immediately spotted the inherent pun(e)s in "Djelibeybi" and
      'Hersheba" when I first encountered them, I'm also the person who
      didn't catch the inherent pun(e) in having an apprentice priest
      called "Brutha" because I instinctively pronounced it as "BROO-thuh"
      (and still do, no matter how I try to correct myself). And then
      there's the Magrat Question: is the correct pronunciation "MAGG-
      rat", or "muh-GRAT", or "MAGG-rit", or...? And there are myriad
      other Discworld personal names and place-names that are open to
      divergent pronunciations... but which ones are right? If anyone out
      there can help, please do contact us via the email address at the
      very bottom of this issue.

      Fat Tuesday and the Soul Cake celebrations are coming early this
      year on Roundworld! In fact, Shrove Tuesday – known to many of us
      as Pancake Day – is only a couple of weeks away. And on that day
      (12th February this year) there will be ancient traditional Foot-
      the-Ball games being played in certain towns in Britain and
      elsewhere, especially in Ashbourne, Derbyshire. As you can see,
      the game has a certain spirit that Discworld denizens would
      recognise:

      "The Ashbourne game also known as "hugball" has been played from at
      least c.1667 although the exact origins of the game are unknown due
      to a fire at the Royal Shrovetide Committee office in the 1890s
      which destroyed the earliest records... There are very few rules in
      existence. The main ones are:
      * Committing murder or manslaughter is prohibited. Unnecessary
      violence is frowned upon.
      * The ball may not be carried in a motorised vehicle.
      * The ball may not be hidden in a bag, coat or rucksack etc.
      * Cemeteries, churchyards and the town memorial gardens are strictly
      out of bounds.
      * Playing after 10 pm is forbidden..."

      To learn more about this game that surely was a main inspiration for
      Unseen Academicals, go to:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Shrovetide_Football

      This month's issue is another scaled-down one, owing to Your
      Editor's health issues plus the fact that many people are still on
      holidays, including "Fernando". But fear not, soon all will be back
      to normal as WOSSNAME covers the Discworld 30th anniversary
      celebrations and all the rest!

      – Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) DISCWORLD APP IS ON ITS WAY

      The Ankh-Morpork iPad app is on its way. Here be a very short video
      of Pterry himself introducing it:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvWRi1BSpdE

      The news has stirred a storm of protest from the Android-using
      community, not to mention the vast non-Mac-products using community
      in general.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) ODDS AND SODS DEPARTMENT

      4.1 THE READING'S THE THING...?!

      Improbable Fictions ("a Shakespearean staged reading series") are
      offering a night of Wyrd Sisters reading as part of their spring
      2013 series.

      When: 23-24 April 2013
      Venue: Kentuck's Georgine Clarke Building, 503 Main Avenue,
      Northport, Alabama 35476

      Admission is free but seating is limited so tickets are required.
      These are available at:

      www.brownpapertickets.com

      To view the announcement on the web, go to:

      improbablefictions.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/spring-2013/

      4.2 JUNIOR TALKS TED!

      Rhianna Pratchett has given a 15-minute TED presentation on the
      future of video gaming and the role of the writer in the games
      industry. She's a very good speaker. Here be the video link:

      http://t.co/1Imt5B2V

      5.1 REMINDER: THE FIFTH ELEPHANT IN READING

      The Progress Theatre of Reading's well-received production of The
      Fifth Elephant continues this week.

      When: now through Saturday 26th January
      Venue: Progress Theatre, Reading, Berks
      Time: 7:45pm (with Matinee on Saturday 26th at 2:30pm)
      Tickets: £10 (£8 concessions), available from Reading Arts Box
      Office (phone 0118 960 6060, booking fee applies) or by application
      in person at the Hexagon or Town Hall.

      http://www.progresstheatre.co.uk/shows/the-fifth-elephant/

      5.2 REMINDER: DODGER IN ABINGDON

      The Studio Theatre Club's world stage premiere of Dodger is on right
      now! The world-premiere production, adapted by Stephen Briggs, runs
      through the 26th of January. Tickets are £8.50 (if there are any
      left). For more information, go to:

      http://www.studiotheatreclub.com/CurrentPlans.html

      5.3 GOOD OMENS IN GLASGOW

      This is your first reminder of 2013 – this March, Glasgow's Cult
      Classic Theatre will present the world stage premiere of Good Omens,
      adapted and directed by Amy Hoff. Cult Classic has tackled The Man
      in the Iron Mask and Doctor Horrible's Sing-along Blog; now it's
      time for a turn at the Apocalypse as seen through the eyes of our
      favourite demon-and-angel double act, Anathema Device, Newt Pulsifer
      and the rest!

      When: 20th-24th and 27th-30th March 2013
      Venue: Cottiers Bar, Restaurant & Theatre, 93-95 Hyndland St,
      Glasgow G11 5PU
      Tickets: £3.00-£5.00 To book, ring the theatre box office (0141
      357 4000), or to book online go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/bbo4fzo

      For more information, go to:

      www.cultclassic.org
      www.cottiers.com

      5.4 REVIEWS: THE FIFTH ELEPHANT IN READING

      By Hugh Terry, in Get Reading:

      "Normal theatrical conventions don't apply, in the sense that the
      audience is not being asked to suspend its disbelief and accept the
      on stage antics as reality. Absurdities mean pre-conceptions must be
      left at the door. There's plenty to enjoy here: who knew that the
      civilization ultimately comes down to a hot bath, a passport is a
      piss-pot, or that sausages might contain... meat... Full marks to
      John Goodman, the hapless but redoubtable Commander Vimes, who has
      an enormous role to tackle: he keeps his head when all around is
      descending into near-chaos. Stephen Clarke's Igor (one of several)
      provides welcome light relief, with strong supporting performances
      from Alex McCubbin as Sgt. Detritus, Louise Sands as Lady Margolotta
      and Emma Wyverne as Baroness von Uberwald. It's a tribute to the
      actors that they bring this sprawling, unwieldy play to life and
      make sense of it..."

      http://tinyurl.com/b8rj3js

      By theatre blogger Nicole Zandi:

      "The script is well crafted, capturing the essence of Pratchett's
      work, with theatrically sensitive cues for comedy and silence. Yet,
      with such a complex plot, Stephen Briggs does well to condense it
      down to under two hours, with a fifteen minute interval. This was
      heavily reliant on Gaspode, the talking dog and theatre chorus, to
      fill us in and keep us up-to-date. Likewise the handsome Captain
      Carrot's inner knowledge of the dwarf kingdom, keeps the audience in
      the know... The visual stimulation throughout makes it an easy
      watch, a credit to the show-designers' enthusiasm for their craft.
      The acute details throughout are thrilling to spot, such as the
      carefully designed match box, a lonely plane[t] guide to Uberwald,
      the considered Newspaper and the dwarfs' helmets with their names
      painted on in the Dwarvish language. The intimacy of Progress
      Theatre allows the audience to enjoy these visual cues to reinforce
      the world and the story that we are being initiated into... the
      power female figure in the play lays with the Tee-total Vampire Lady
      Margolotta, who acts as the unlikely assistant to Sam Vimes in
      guiding his investigation. In this he overcomes his own prejudice
      towards Vampires, even though she does leave him to fend for himself
      in a forest saturated with dangerous Wolves. It is her who seems to
      be testing Vimes capabilities and she keeps intact an attractive
      mysterious allure..."

      http://tinyurl.com/bgyfjky

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      O6) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS

      6.1 NULLUS ANXIETAS UPDATES

      From Damien Perry of AusDWcon:

      Nullus Anxietas IV is (strangely enough) the fourth National
      Australian Discworld convention. This year, it is being held in
      Melbourne, at Bell Rydges, Preston, Labour Day (Victoria) weekend,
      8-10 March, 2013. Right now, we're in a flurry, making sure it will
      be an incredible experience. The theme for the con is Soul Music,
      complete with a Buskers' Guild and the Fourecks Factor.

      It started as an international cultural festival, operated out of
      Ankh-Morpork by the Dark Clerks. And then the Dibblers got hold of
      it. Suddenly, it's more glitzy, more grandiose, with everything
      guaranteed by the Dibbler seal of quality (don'treadthefineprint).

      – THE CONVENTION –

      Highlights are:
      – the Fourecks Factor, with sneak previews available over the next
      couple of months on the YouTube Channel:
      www.youtube.com/user/NullusAnxietasIV

      AND
      – The Quaff and Scoff – our Saturday night dinner, with music by
      the Fourgones.

      AND AND
      – Martin Pearson – Small God of folk and master of the Hedgehog
      Song will be around Friday and Saturday.

      AND AND AND
      – Ian and Reb from The Discworld Emporium will be making an
      appearance. So bring your dough.

      Beyond that, we'll have dancing classes, beard-knitting (for when
      you want to sneak into a show), loads of panels, Guild competitions,
      a Funny Vegetable extravaganza, a new game from Treefrog, and much
      much more.

      – SPENDING MONEY ON US (buying tickets) –

      "That's fantastic! How do I join up?" This is the important bit.
      Tickets for Nullus Anxietas are available from
      http://ausdwcon.org/memberships/new/

      Ticket sales close the week before the con, but for the latecomers,
      tickets will be available at the door for $200. For those people who
      have already bought a supporting membership, please note that
      upgrades will only be available until the end of January. After that
      time, you would need to pay the full price for your membership.
      Tickets are $180 from the website so it's definitely worth buying
      them beforehand.

      – MERCHANDISE AND TOURS –

      This is a Dibbler-run operation, so there must be things to buy.
      Check out our online shop:
      http://shop.ausdwcon.org/

      Before and after the convention, there are tours running. A walking
      tour of Melbourne on the Friday to introduce you to our fine city,
      and a Brewery Tour on the Monday to farewell it. The Walking Tour is
      available through our shop. Book the Brewery Tour through our
      Merchandise page:

      http://ausdwcon.org/pages/merchandise/

      – QUAFF AND SCOFF –

      On the Saturday night, join us for the Quaff and Scoff. Tickets are
      available from our site:

      http://ausdwcon.org/gala_tickets/new

      A three course meal, drinks for sale, a rockin' band, quizzes and
      competitions. It will be a fantastic evening.

      – FINDING US ON SOCIAL MEDIA –

      Finally, we are all over the web. Come find us:
      Facebook: http://facebook.com/NullusAnxietasIV
      Google+: search for Nullus Anxietas IV
      Tumblr: nullusanxietasiv.tumblr.com
      flickr: http://www.flickr.com/groups/nullusanxietasiv/ (with a
      Gallery of Wonders still to come).
      Twitter: nullusanxietas4

      Pick your favourite social media outlet and come say hi.

      We look forward to seeing everybody at Nullus Anxietas IV: The
      Convention with Rocks In!

      6.2 NADWCON UPDATES

      July is getting ever closer! This July 5th-8th in Baltimore, MD is
      the time of the third North American Discworld Convention, L-Space
      theme this time and featuring very special guests Sir Pterry-and-Rob
      (the well-known author and his conjoined twi– erm, valued
      assistant), the inimitable Colin Smythe, The Long Earth co-author
      Stephen Baxter, the noted Discworld medical advisor (and fan) Doctor
      Pat Harkin, the Cunning Artificer (Bernard Pearson) and his
      sharpshootin' deputies (aka Reb Voyce and Ian Mitchell), and the
      well-loved author Esther Friesner who is coming back for her third
      turn as NADWCON Mistress of Ceremonies. Short of a surprise guest
      appearance by Great A'Tuin him/her/itself, what more could anyone
      want...

      NADWCON3 will take place at The Baltimore Marriott Waterfront Hotel,
      700 Aliceanna Street, Baltimore, MD 21202 Phone:
      1-800-228-9290/1-877-212-5752

      Some updates from the Committee:

      *** Guest Announcement – Colin Smythe

      We are very pleased to announce that the esteemed Colin Smythe will
      be joining us in July! Colin was Terry's first publisher and has
      since become his literary agent and friend. His publishing
      activities have involved works of Irish literature and criticism,
      Irish epic myths, fairy and folklore, heraldry, orders of
      knighthood, diplomacy, politics, trout fishing, and parapsychology.
      He has edited and written various books relating to Lady Gregory and
      her family, and is working on a bibliography of the writings of the
      Nobel laureate W.B.Yeats. You can read more about Colin in his bio
      on the Guests page:

      https://www.nadwcon.org/at-the-convention/guests

      or by clicking here:

      https://www.nadwcon.org/at-the-convention/guests/82-colin-smythe

      *** Downloadable posters now available!

      Looking forward to a grand con? So are we! Here's how you can
      help get the word out, so that more like-minded Discworldians are
      able to come and enjoy this splendid event together!

      Step 1: Download the handy pdf (either color or b/w).

      http://www.nadwcon.org/media/downloads/Full_Color_Poster.pdf
      http://www.nadwcon.org/media/downloads/Coloring_Poster.pdf

      Step 2: Print it out at home or have a local artificer like Kinko's
      do it for you.

      Step 3: Politely enquire of your local libraries, bookstores, comic
      stores and suchlike if they'd be so kind as to paste one up in a
      place of prominence.

      Step 4: Send us a clacks message to our forum or any of our social
      media and let us all know where we can look for it!

      Step 5: Bask in the knowledge of a job well done.

      *** Calling all Dibblers!

      We are seeking Dealers to trade at the NADWCon 2013 and provide a
      vibrant shopping experience for our attendees. For full details &
      application forms please see the Dealer pages under the Sign Up menu
      or follow the link below:

      https://www.nadwcon.org/signup/dealers/overview

      *** Art Show now seeking Submissions

      Are you a budding Leonard da Quirm? Perhaps a Methodia Rascal? Then
      the NADWCon 2013 Art Show may just be the place for you! We are
      planning a wonderful Art Show and hope that you will honor us by
      participating in it. The Art Show will feature three artist
      divisions: Professional, Amateur, and Young Artist (artists through
      age eighteen).

      The Art Show will include both panels for two dimensional artwork
      and tables for three dimensional artwork. For full details, rules
      and entry forms, visit the Art Show page by going to the At the
      Convention menu, Program, Art Show or select the link below:

      http://tinyurl.com/aj82lb4

      *** What's your Badge number?

      We are pleased to announce that all registered members can now find
      their badge number for the convention. You can find it under the
      Sign Up menu, Membership sub-menu or:

      http://www.nadwcon.org/signup/membership/membership-list

      Remember, if you're intending to go to the convention but haven't
      purchased your membership yet, prices are now finalised at very
      reasonable rates. These rates will stay the same even through the
      convention time itself:

      Adults (ages 13 and up): $111
      Children (ages 6 to 12): $55.50
      Family (includes up to two parents/guardians and their dependant
      children): $333
      Supporting Membership: $33

      To purchase your membership, go to:

      https://www.nadwcon.org/signup/membership/register

      For more details including full details of family memberships, go
      to:

      www.nadwcon.org/signup/membership/membership-details

      If you have questions not covered on any of these pages, email
      membership@...

      https://www.nadwcon.org/

      6.3 IDWCON UPDATES

      The third Irish Discworld Convention will take place on 1st–4th
      November 2013 at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Limerick City. Membership
      prices are about to rise:

      Adult – €40 (€45 after 1st February)
      Concession – €30 (€35 after 1st February)
      Student – €30 (€35 after 1st February)
      Teen (13-18) – €15 (€18 after 1st February)
      Junior (8-12) – €10 (€12 after 1st February)
      Mini (0-7) – Free

      http://www.idwcon.org/price-guide

      To purchase your membership, go to:

      http://www.idwcon.org/purchase-membership

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      07) THE THINGS PRATCHETT FANS SAY...

      Kevin Austin says...
      It has taken me until now to sit down and read Dodger. I have read
      every book written by Terry but this one has proved to be a
      masterpiece. Being a Dickens fan I was really looking forward to
      Terry's take on Victorian London and this did not dissapoint. If
      anything Terry has shown himself to be a master of literary work and
      dare I say has out Dickensed Dickens with fantastic charicatures and
      a real understanding of London's poor at the time with a wicked
      sense of Humour. Favourite character for me was Solomon the refugee
      Jew with a sense of right and wrong and a great sense of humour.
      Thank you so much Terry for yet another fantastic story.

      Ingi Agnarsson says...
      Dear Terry, I have named a spider in your honor – Anelosimus
      pratchettii Reference: Agnarsson I. 2012. Systematics of new
      subsocial and solitary Australasian Anelosimus species (Araneae,
      Theridiidae). Invertebrate Systematics 26: 1-16.

      Graca Castro Ribeiro says...
      Thank you very much. Your books have changed my life.

      Jill Carter says...
      I just finished reading all 39 Discworld books back to back over the
      last few months. THANK YOU, thank you, thank you!!

      Linda McNeil says...
      My husband died very suddenly in November and, being a very long
      time fan of Discworld, I found comfort in a quotation from Reaper
      Man so much so that I had it read at his Humanist funeral. The
      quotation was – "In the Ramtop village where they dance the real
      Morris dance, for example, they believe that no one is finally dead
      until the ripples they cause in the world die away – until the
      clock he wound up winds down, until the wine she made has finished
      its ferment, until the crop they planted is harvested. The span of
      someone's life, they say, is only the core of their actual
      existence." Thank you very much for writing that.

      Cathy Trivigno says...
      The world is a brighter place with you in it, Sir Terry. Happy New
      Year!

      Melissa Gelpi says...
      Sir – I am new to the Tiffany Aching series and just wanted to tell
      you how much I have enjoyed them. I started with Wee Free Men for my
      Children's Literature class (last year) and this week have finished
      the other three. Although I am far from a "young adult" - I love
      these stories. I see that Tiffany's last story was in 2010. I do
      hope that you are well, after reading an article about your health,
      and your intention of your daughter taking on "Discworld."I do hope
      she brings Tiffany back to us again.

      Ronda Rodda says...
      I would love to see Doctor Who land in Discworld and encounter the
      ever amazing headology expert Granny Weatherwax. I'm sure that
      between them they could outsmart what ever the multiuniverse, time
      spectrum etc, etc throws their way!!!

      Mary Karin Marshall says...
      Sir Terry, Thank you for all your books. They help me to think about
      why things are the way they are so that I can ask the right
      questions.

      Mark Paton says...
      You sir, and Stephen Fry are the greatest Englishmen alive, I bow
      down to you Sir, you've made my book reading days amazing, I fall
      asleep everynight listening to your audiobooks and radioplays, Vimes
      is THE greatest character EVER written! I hope ur well and I can't
      wait for the next one, sleep soundly knowing you made the literary
      wold so much better *not a Discworld fanboy!* :)

      Jane Edwards says...
      I adore all your works of literature, the only problem is that you
      are the sole cause of me having to buy more shelves than I have wall
      for. Despite the storage restrictions (boxes under the bed and to
      the back of cupboards I cannot reach) I will always buy your books
      sniff and stroke them like bibliophiles everywhere and read them
      with pleasure and wonder. Thank you for all your works of the heart
      and mind that generations will enjoy for ages to come.

      Sarah Keefer says...
      Dear Sir Terry, I have only now clued in to the connection in Carpe
      Jugulum with "The Lyke Wake Dirge". You clever dog, you! Am teaching
      Wee Free Men in my Medieval Romance course this year as part of the
      Otherworld legacy begun in the Mabinogi and many Middle English
      romances. There's always more to find. Thank you, sir, for the
      bottomless gold mine that is the Discworld!

      And finally, Gerda Merckx says...
      Dear Sir Terry Pratchett, I never did write you before and I hope
      you will apologize me for my english because I'm from Belgium and I
      read your books in Dutch (the very good translation by Ittekot). I
      tried to read them in english, maybe now I'm retired, I will try
      again. I'm thankfully for your stories. Because I recognize myself
      in the character of Esmee, it was really helpfull to learn to
      understand myself and to laugh with myself and the world around me.
      It helped me in difficult times and years to see our real world in a
      different and more humoristic way and to accept myself like I am. My
      friend and coworker said always that she was like Rinzwind and not
      proud at it, but difficulties of life made her couragouse and for me
      she is more Magraat : the young hippie witch that became adult and a
      personality. But I like all your books and stories of the discworld
      and also the book 'Good Omens' is one of my favorites. And last but
      not least : thank you for the documentary of Alzheimer and
      'euthanasie'. This was shocking but also respectfully and I really
      hope that in Great Brittain will come a law that will admitt
      euthanasie en will respect the free will to die for people in pain.
      I wish you a good health and that alzheimer can be stopped and I
      wish you all the best!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS

      The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South
      Australia. TCoSG have regular dinner and games nights, plus play
      outings, craft-y workshops, and fun social activities throughout the
      year. For more info and to join their mailing list, go to:

      http://ausdwcon.org/pages/smallgods

      The Broken Vectis Drummers meet on the first Thursday of every month
      from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight. The next
      meeting will probably be on Thursday 7th February 2013, but do email
      (see below) to check. All new members and curious passersby are very
      welcome! For more info and any queries, contact:

      broken_vectis_drummers@...

      The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) meets on the first
      Friday of every month at the famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
      Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome! The next WOTS meeting will
      (probably) be on Friday 1st February 2013.

      The next meeting of the Broken Drummers, London's original Discworld
      meeting group, will be from 7pm on Monday 4th February 2013 at the
      Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London W2 1JQ.

      "We welcome anyone and everyone who enjoys Sir Terry's works, or
      quite likes them or wants to find out more. We have had many
      visitors from overseas who have enjoyed themselves and made new
      friends. The discussions do not only concern the works of Sir Terry
      Pratchett but wander and meander through other genres and authors
      and also leaping to TV and Film production. We also find time for a
      quiz. The prize is superb. The chance to set the quiz the following
      month."

      The Broken Drummers are going from strength to strength in the new
      century. Here be their latest (January 2013) meet report:

      "January is usually a quiet month for Drummers but this year the
      meeting was far enough from New Year's Day to get a reasonable
      attendance. Chris prepared a special quiz on firsts, where he
      provided the answers and participants had to supply the questions.
      It was a tough quiz, so much so that at one point Larry suggested
      that the relevant questions might be, "When was the last time a pub
      quizmaster was hung, drawn and quartered?" However, Colin won by
      miles because, as he said, general knowledge is his special subject.
      He will be doing the next quiz so beware! We had a new member come
      along. Bailey, from the USA, will be in London for the next few
      months. I made everyone introduce themself and say one thing they
      liked and disliked. Lots of people seemed in a positive frame of
      mind, struggling to think of a dislike. As someone who could easily
      fill a Room 101 Christmas special, I find this amazing. Judy caused
      outrage when people heard that she did not like kittens until it
      became clear that what she had actually said was "kidneys" (which
      immediately prompted the question of whether this included her own).
      Discussion of religion followed. Bailey revealed that she was once
      almost thrown out of a Sunday school class for mistaking Jesus for
      one of the Beatles. Chris meanwhile was actually expelled from two
      Sunday schools for pedantry and for asking questions about
      armadilloes in the book of Deuteronomy and other technicalities. He
      assures us that hedgehogs are kosher."

      For more info, contact BrokenDrummers@...

      http://www.steeljam.co.uk/brokendrummers/

      The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
      Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, have been meeting on a regular
      basis since 2005 but is now looking to take in some new blood
      (presumably not in the non-reformed Uberwald manner). The Flatalists
      normally meet at The Narrowboat Pub in Victoria Street, Skipton, N
      Yorks, to discuss "all things Pratchett" as well as having quizzes
      and raffles.

      Details of future meetings are posted on the Events section of the
      Discworld Stamps forum:

      http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

      Drummers Downunder meet on the first Monday of every month in Sydney
      at Maloneys, corner of Pitt & Goulburn Streets, at 6.30pm. The next
      meeting will (probably) be on Monday 4th February 2013. For more
      information, contact Sue (aka Granny Weatherwax):

      kenworthys@...

      Perth Drummers meet on the traditional date of first Monday of the
      month, from 6pm at The Vic Hotel, 226 Hay St, Subiaco. The next
      meeting will be on Monday 4th February 2013. For more information
      contact:

      Daniel Hatton at daniel_j_hatton@...

      Lord Vetinari as he might have been in the days when Ankh (as
      opposed to Ankh-Morpork) had kings? The face may be familiar...

      http://www.studiotheatreclub.com/images/comedy-9.gif

      Rincewind tattoo:
      http://tinyurl.com/ah62bqb

      Death of Rats glassware:
      http://tinyurl.com/ah42nah

      This way to the Church of Om:
      http://tinyurl.com/a9mnp6k

      Best of all! Glenn Slaven's daughter Alanah dressed as the young
      Tiffany Aching for Book Week. Perfect, right down to the determined
      expression:

      http://tinyurl.com/a6u6uej

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

      Blogger Alison aka The Cheap Reader reviews Wee Free Men:

      "Tiffany is an interesting heroine. Heroes/heroines in YA books
      always seem to be under prepared. To me, Tiffany seemed especially
      unprepared. She's having to rescue her brother with little more than
      a frying pan and a book on sheep diseases? Errr, good luck with
      that. She definitely wasn't a 'normal' heroine. It may have
      accidentally, kind of been her fault that her brother was
      kidnapped/taken. Despite that, she still goes to save him. Not
      because it's the right thing to do. Not because she has the hero
      complex so she has to do it. But because he's her brother and that's
      that... If I wanted to continue with the Discworld books in the
      future, I'll be picking up the next book in the Tiffany Aching
      arc...."

      http://tinyurl.com/a6tow68

      Blogger JR Finlay reviews Nation, giving it 5 out of 5 stars:

      "Pratchett created a perfect world of blue lagoons, sandy beaches,
      dolphins, forests, caves, bugs and vomiting Pantaloon Birds that was
      a joy to behold. But that was just it. I was looking at it as though
      it were in a fish bowl. Every detail was sublime, and yet I couldn't
      immerse myself within. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why
      I still just didn't care. It was pretty yes, but what was the point
      of it all, this small little perfect place? Was it the humour that
      kept me away? Although funny and perfectly written, was it that
      stopped my mind from taking it seriously?... As the book progressed,
      it occurred to me that this story was not just one about survival,
      but about the importance of faith. Everyone on the island had a
      story to tell, a reason to believe in something – whether it be a
      Imo's (God) divine will, a rescue ship on the horizon or a new shell
      (hermit crab reference). As secrets were revealed on the island and
      hints of an ominous showdown for the islanders surfaced I found
      myself struggling to put the book down. I kept hitting the glass of
      the fish bowl. I was inside the world and it was a lot bigger once
      I was inside. I didn't want to climb out. Everyday after work I'd
      flump on the sofa and find myself back on the beach beside Mau,
      staring at the horizon... I fell in love with this book, and was
      very sad it ended. I may have to pick up another Pratchett soon..."

      jrfinlay.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/nation-a-review/

      Blogger Chris Gladis reviews Interesting Times:

      "This book is about wanting what you don't have, and what happens
      when you get it... Like so many Discworld books, this is a lot of
      fun to read. The Agatean Empire is a blend of ancient China and
      Japan, giving us ninja and samurai alongside blue and white Ming
      ceramics and an exam-based bureaucracy. And like most of the other
      Discworld books, this one gives you something to think about –
      what do you want to be? Rincewind wants to be left alone, because he
      thinks he'll be safer that way. Cohen wants to settle down, because
      he worries that his life as a barbarian hero might be catching up to
      him. Lord Hong wants to be a gentleman of Ankh-Morpork, or at least
      the ruler of such men. And the people of the Empire, who call
      themselves the Red Army, want to be free, even though they have no
      idea what being free means..."

      thelablib.org/2013/01/17/review-210-interesting-times/

      Blogger Margaret Karloff, formerly a non-fan of Discworld, has had a
      change of heart thanks to Wyrd Sisters:

      "For an Author who's been around for a while i didn't love him.
      Terry Pratchett was for when i was between book and didn't know what
      to read next. All this till i re-read 'Wyrd Sisters' and discovered
      the conversation on the power of the word. the characters are the
      palace fool, the Macbeth like usurping duke Felmet, and the
      demanding woman behind the man – the Duchess... fantasy with an
      outspoken heart! i love when wisdom slips in gently preferably with
      a laugh..."

      margaretkarloff.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/terry-pratchett/

      Blogger Travis J Smith has quibbles with Feet of Clay:

      "With Feet of Clay, I don't sense the same effortlessness that I
      recall Making Money having. His humor, in this case, feels unnatural
      and forced. To provide an example, there's a scene in which a horse
      doctor is called in to tend to a man who's been poisoned, and
      Pratchett milks the he's-talking-as-if-the-guy's-a-horse joke bone
      dry. Then there are the names of the characters. Things like Cheery
      Littlebottom and Carrot. It was enough to make me question whether
      Pratchett was a closet Dragon Ball Z fan; honestly, I was half-
      expecting a character named after a type of undergarment to show up
      at some point during the proceedings. Then there's the story itself,
      like the humor, too on-the-nose. Pratchett aims to launch a
      satirical attack on matters including, but not limited to, slavery,
      racism, and politics; however, it's all so transparent that I could
      feel myself being led along forcibly by the hand to where Pratchett
      wanted me to go, all the while he stood atop his soap-box lecturing
      me. Without the humor to enliven it, the satire falls flat. Which is
      why there's hope for Pratchett yet; Making Money, in the short
      snippet I read, amused me more than the entirety of Feet of Clay..."

      http://tinyurl.com/bdms29u

      Blogger Shuggie is back with a review of TAMAHER:

      "When I first started this book I was very aware that the language
      was aimed at a YA audience. However that faded fairly quickly as I
      became engrossed in the story. I will say that this is quite dark
      for a book for younger readers. It does have some disturbing scenes.
      However the humour is there as are the likeable characters...
      There's some interesting thoughts here about leading/following, the
      need for and dangers of stories..."

      http://tinyurl.com/acvwmrd

      ...and also reviews The Last Hero:

      "The Last Hero is subtitled 'A Discworld Fable'. I'm not quite sure
      what makes it a fable. Perhaps the publishers were just looking for
      something to describe it with due to its different format. Which is
      that it's a large 176-page book with lots of illustrations and full
      page pictures. However it's not a graphic novel and the text is
      complete in itself. The pictures, as nice as they are and they are
      very well done, are illustrations only. You could read just the text
      and not miss out on anything. Also it's a Discworld story in exactly
      the same way that any of the others are. It just happens to be
      shorter. So a novella yes, fable well maybe..."

      http://tinyurl.com/atemhj4

      Blogger sid 1979 reviews A Blink of the Screen:

      "I'm enjoying the read, and am fascinated to see the sheer breadth
      of his imagination. There are a couple of really interesting sci-fi
      concepts in there, and a great story about an author who meets one
      of his characters. There is also a lovely gag about a smuggler, and
      even one story that is only 100 words long. And I've not even got to
      the Discworld stories yet!... There is a short description by the
      man himself prefacing each story, and they all note the publication
      date. As the stories progress through the years, you can actually
      feel the development of his writing style, watching as it edges
      towards the smooth flow his later works. As I said, it's
      fascinating..."

      http://tinyurl.com/aln8mn8

      Blogger Librarianaut seems to think Hogfather is a(n) "Xmas book":

      Hogfather is a Discworld novel about Xmas. But more importantly to
      me the first time I read it 13 or so years ago, it's about belief.
      For me that makes it one of my favourite Discworld novels (beside
      Small Gods). I remember it being very important to me when I was
      still in my X-Files stage of life, where the Mulder/Scully dynamic
      between skepticism and faith was what I lived for in my fiction.
      This Xmas, reading the book again, I could read it a bit more as a
      straight-up novel, not a culmination of philosophy... I'd forgotten
      huge chunks of the plot (though I remembered the Tooth Fairy being
      important somehow) but the bits about belief and the need to believe
      in little lies like the Hogfather as practice for believing in big
      lies like justice stuck with me..."

      http://librarianaut.com/2012/12/28/book-review-hogfather/

      Blogger Cadaverine reviews Jingo:

      "I read many Discworld books in my formative years, that is to say
      from age 13 (I would have liked to have read them sooner if only I'd
      known they existed) and they formed a sort of philosophy curriculum
      for me. Pater's personal views, while heavy with irony, do still
      tend towards the 'by jingo!' sort of British military mindset and my
      reasons for force-feeding him Vimes books essentially boil down to
      getting him to read this book in particular. War, doncherknow. Since
      he's bound to bring up this scene or that one, I thought I'd give
      myself a refresher and picked it up from my bookshelf yesterday.
      It's one of my favourites (Vimes books tend to be), and my copy is
      well-loved. The pages are yellowed and creased, the spine is cracked
      and fraying, the cover is dog-eared, and at some point I seem to
      have accidentally dripped candle wax on it..."

      wormwoodtheatre.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/book-1-jingo/

      Blogger Kell Smurthwaite was delighted by The World of Poo:

      "As would be expected, it's filled with interesting little
      footnotes of fascinating facts about faeces, other bodily waste, its
      uses, and the people who remove it, as well as the industries that
      flourish because of it. Adult fans of the Discworld series will
      chuckle knowingly as they enjoy it, but those who are parents may
      also find they decide to read it to their young children who must
      surely appreciate a good story about poo, and will love the little
      black and white line drawings – just don't be surprised if you
      open it one day to find your little darlings have coloured in all
      the pictures.."

      http://tinyurl.com/af4j6wt

      Blogger Josey Gist gives a thumbs-up to Dodger:

      "At times, the plot is predictable, but Dodger's comical encounters
      with Charles Dickens, Benjamin Disraeli, and Sweeney Todd, the demon
      barber of Fleet Street, make this a fun read for anyone who loves
      the history of Victorian London or Terry Pratchett. Dodger is told
      with all of his usual wit and charm, although Pratchett does take a
      few historical liberties, which are explained in the afterword, for
      anyone who is curious to know more about the history behind the
      book's plot. Highly recommended for die-hard fans and newcomers..."

      http://tinyurl.com/a8cq5a4

      Blogger redheadedstitcher found the Discworld love via Snuff, and
      fell for a less obvious "hero":

      "I have tried reading the Discworld books before but could never get
      into them or get my head around the concepts. It took me ten years
      but it was well worth the wait! It was only by chance seeing it in
      the chart book section that made me think give it another go... As I
      have read a few murder mystery titles before and as this felt a
      familiar scenario perhaps that's why I got into it so easily. My
      favourite character was Stinky the goblin who I hope Pratchett will
      write a novel about soon! I will defintely by reading the other
      Discworld novels and I hope to enjoy them all as much as I did this
      one..."

      http://tinyurl.com/bjytxpm

      If possible, we'll see you just before the end of the month with
      more news and promised reviews. If not, roll on February!

      The End. If you have any questions or requests, write:
      interact@...