WOSSNAME -- November 2012 -- Early edition

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2012
      November 2012 (Volume 15, Issue 11, Post 1)
      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide
      Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano, L.C. Thomas
      time)

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      03) ODDS AND SODS DEPARTMENT
      04) GRIERSON AWARD FOR "CHOOSING TO DIE"
      05) REVIEWS OF DODGER AND A BLINK OF THE SCREEN
      06) THE MAPP APP IS COMING!
      07) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      08) "ONE MINUTE WITH..."
      09) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS
      10) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS
      11) ACTION REPLAY: INTERVIEWED BY THE BOOKWITCH

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "For an old British white guy, Terry Pratchett writes refreshingly
      feminist fantasy."

      – blogger and Discworld fan Brianna

      "What people fear is a bad death. They fear being halfway dead. In
      some clinic. Where they're prodding and pushing you about."

      – Pterry, interviewed by The Big Issue, October 2012

      "We saved Tweet 1,000 for this very photo – @neilhimself in our
      office. We're going to have a commemorative plaque made."

      – and on his official Ptwitter account, 1st November 2012

      [See Images for the pic! – Ed.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      We're starting the November posts early again, and once again it's
      partly to accommodate the ever-growing roster of Discworld plays
      being staged around Roundworld. But it's also about news, news,
      news! So off you go, and do pay special attention to the Odds and
      Sods section...

      – Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) ODDS AND SODS DEPARTMENT

      3.1 THIS WEEK'S CLEVER CONTEST!

      From Lynsey at Transworld, an inspirational challenge:

      Here's how you could win one of five copies of The Compleat Ankh-
      Morpork. Fancy an esteemed position in the Guild of Merchants?
      Already know what your trade would be? Well this is a question of
      cleverness and imagination!

      We want to know what you would call your shop/organisation if you
      had one in Ankh-Morpork! Sir Terry will pick the best five names and
      those people will win a copy of The Compleat Ankh-Morpork and a
      Terry Pratchett book bag to put it in!

      Send your answers to:

      discworld@...

      (if you have problems with the email address try typing it in rather
      than cutting and pasting)

      Open Worldwide, ends 16th November.

      Good Luck!

      3.2 THE STICK AND BUCKET LURCH!

      For the latest annual Zombie Shuffle in Melbourne, Australia, local
      Morris dancers Brandragon transformed themselves into, um,
      Zombieshambles. Some say the old traditional squeezebox sounds like
      a dying person's last gasps, but in this case the accompaniment –
      and dancing – is definitely postvital. Here be the video proof:

      http://tinyurl.com/8d3dbo5

      For more about Brandragon's er um normal activities (for a Morris
      value of "normal"), do visit their website:

      http://brandragon.morris.org.au/

      3.3 THE DODGER LAUNCH PARTY VIDEO!

      All-singing, all-dancing, all-period-costumed, all-Pterry:

      http://tinyurl.com/bsvm7uc

      3.4 THE GREAT DEBATE!

      Should you happen to be in Dublin next Monday, there's an
      extraordinary event taking place with a certain Professor Sir:

      "...a public debate next Monday evening which is hosted by School of
      English, Trinity College Dublin, in association with Lively
      Conversation Debate Topics. On the night, staff and students of
      Trinity College Dublin will debate the motion 'That This House Would
      See Unseen University Run by Witches' – Ably Adjudicated by
      Professor Sir Terry Pratchett, OBE, Blackboard Monitor..."

      When: Monday, 12th November 2012,
      Venue: Quek Hall, Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute, Pearse
      Street, Dublin 2
      Time: 6:30pm
      Tickets: free entry. There are 300 seats in the lecture theatre,
      which will be filled on a first come, first seated, basis.

      http://tinyurl.com/b5h6fvo

      ...and the wonderful poster that accompanies this announcement:

      http://www.cearta.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Debate.png

      3.5 FANS ON PTERRY'S FACEBOOK PAGE SAY...

      Kelley Gryphon said...
      Today I met Sir Terry Pratchett in NYC. I told him how my parents
      started reading his books to me when I was in elementary school. He
      told me I had good parents and asked if they were still with me. I
      said yes and he said to remember him to them and then it was over.
      What I wanted to say was this:
      Terry Pratchett, your books are amazing. I loved your books as a six
      year old because of the colorful story lines and imaginative
      characters. I love your books now because of the spot on satire and
      witty wordplay. I named my angel plant Crowley in honor of how long
      and hard I laughed about his terrified house plants in "Good Omens."
      I couldn't put your books down and I got detention repeatedly for
      laughing out loud while reading in class. Thank you Terry for
      writing such wonderful books. That's what I wanted to say. :)

      DK Mok said...
      My expression when I first heard about Dodger ^_^
      My expression when I got hold of a copy of Dodger ^_^
      My expression when I finished reading Dodger ^_^
      Entertaining, educational, and inspiring, as always.

      Michael Stephens said...
      Ah Mr. Pratchett. Thank you for changing my perceptions of the
      "real" world. You helped me grow so much over the course of my life,
      but I am not done learning yet. I am never done learning. Because I
      am imperfect and the world is imperfect. But I love it all the same

      Andy Kerr said...
      Thank you for the imagination. I was 7 years old when I found my
      Grandad's collection of science fiction books, and proceeded to read
      them all, almost 50 books, the good old hard back style, and I was
      hooked. Your stories have taken me to another level, which has
      included my oldest daughter (31 years) and I am sure my youngest
      daughter (6 years) will follow suit. Thank you Sir!

      Glynis Mcdonnell said...
      My copy of The Compleat Ankh-Morpork arrived this morning from
      Amazon, all I can say is WOW it's outstanding! I adore the map and
      will get a frame made for it, the only problem is which side do I
      want on view. The whole package is so well put together and
      beautifully done. I cannot put it down. Thank you so very much for
      this latest offering, it's beautiful. I hope that you are faring
      well, you're one amazing man.

      Martin Cameron said...
      Hi iv just finished reading dodger and i must say i was disappointed
      with the ending, mainly because it ended!!! I could of kept reading
      it for months yet!! Fantastic story as always thank you

      Chanelle Louise Lee said...
      I would just like to say that you are absolutely fantastic and I
      always find your books an absolute inspiration to read and that you
      are also an inspiration. I cannot wait for my seven year old son to
      be able to start reading your books. they are truly imaginative and
      fascinating. You are an absolute idol in my eyes !!

      Lyndon Street said...
      The more i think about it the more ecstatic i am....after all the
      many years of reading his work i am so profoundly pleased that the
      great man himself will read my thoughts and that he will genuinely
      see my thanks.

      Lee Paul said...
      I heard a Biology expert on BBC World Service tonight describe a
      situation involving the replacement of wild species with
      domesticated ones as "Forcing history down the wrong leg of the
      Trousers Of Time." I wonder if he studied at Unseen U?

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) "CHOOSING TO DIE" WINS GRIERSON AWARD

      "Terry Pratchett: Choosing to Die" has picked up another prestigious
      award. The announcement on Sir Pterry's Twitter account:

      "Choosing To Die wins @griersontrust Best Documentary on
      Contemporary Theme. Blimey! Thank you."

      ...with iconograph:

      pic.twitter.com/nyAJixOp

      In The Telegraph:

      "Pratchett, who suffers from Alzheimer's, presented the documentary
      which featured Peter Smedley, a 71-year-old man who suffered from
      motor neurone disease. The documentary was awarded Best Documentary
      on a Contemporary Theme. The chairman of the awards jury said it was
      'beautifully cast and genuinely revelatory'. The documentary was one
      of several winners at the event, which was hosted by artist Grayson
      Perry, who donned a bright red dress for the ceremony at The Empire
      Leicester Square. The awards were celebrating their 40th year and
      were set up by the Grierson Trust in 1972 to commemorate the life
      and work of world-renowned Scottish documentary film-maker John
      Grierson, whose work includes the GPO film Night Mail..."

      http://tinyurl.com/an7uswb

      In The Guardian:

      "The awards, hosted by Grayson Perry, also recognised author Sir
      Terry Pratchett for another controversial documentary, Choosing to
      Die. Pratchett's BBC2 documentary was controversial because it
      showed the moment of Peter Smedley's death at the Dignitas clinic in
      Switzerland... Highlights from the awards will be shown on Sky Arts
      2 on 12 November."

      http://tinyurl.com/azz6ps4

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) REVIEWS: DODGER, A BLINK OF THE SCREEN

      By Michael Dirda, in the Washington Post:

      "Most of the Discworld novels skewer familiar cultural institutions,
      whether journalism ('The Truth'), religion ('Small Gods') or
      Hollywood ('Moving Pictures'). Like many other satirists, Pratchett
      is also a not-so-secret moralist, critical of all ideologies and
      accepting of our usual human failings in this strange mixed affair
      we call life... Such is the case, too, for 'Dodger,' which borrows
      the Artful Dodger from 'Oliver Twist' and transforms him into an
      unlikely hero, a lad who prospers in surprising ways, if not quite
      in those that would win the approval of Horatio Alger Jr...
      Pratchett keeps the action rattling along as it gradually grows
      clear that the abused young woman, known only as Simplicity, is a
      counter in a deadly game of international politics... Throughout,
      Pratchett's focus is resolutely on Dodger — the growth of his
      soul, the renewed purpose that love gives to his life, the eventual
      discovery of a vocation. The resulting novel is certainly
      enjoyable..."

      http://tinyurl.com/bge7pdn

      A Blink Of The Screen, reviewed by Jennifer Peterson-Ward:

      "Terry Pratchett has made a name for himself as a fine craftsman of
      self-contained universes. It should come as no surprise, therefore,
      that his shorter works likewise showcase a wealth of fantastical
      settings, scenarios, heroes and heroines. Spanning the whole of his
      writing career, A Blink Of The Screen is a wonderful collection of
      rare Pratchett gems, including the hilarious The Hades Business,
      penned when he was a boy of 13, as well as a few stories which are
      sure to satiate ardent Discworld fans..."

      http://tinyurl.com/aqvttuz

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      O6) THE ANKH-MORPORK MAPP APP APPROACHETH!

      Something new and Discworld-y for your Gooseberry, um, smartphone:

      "Having sold more than 70m books in his career as an author, Terry
      Pratchett is now turning his attention to the App Store. He's
      announced plans for an iPad app based on his Discworld books. 'You
      might think it's exciting news: a new Discworld app is coming,'
      announced Pratchett in a 17-second teaser video posted on the app's
      official website. 'It's secret, so keep it under your hat!' A
      release date for the app hasn't been announced beyond the "Coming
      Soon" message at the end of the video. The publisher is Transworld
      Publishers, a subsidiary of Random House. The company has been
      working on the app with British developer Agant, which has worked on
      a series of book-apps with publishers, most recently two Shakespeare
      apps for Cambridge University Press... The app's title indicates
      that it's a spin-off from Pratchett's Discworld books rather than a
      digital version of a specific novel..."

      http://tinyurl.com/blxl7mr

      The app's official website:

      http://discworldapp.com/

      7.1 WYRD SISTERS IN BURLINGAME, CALIFORNIA

      Burlingame High School Drama Department presents a production of Wyrd
      Sisters this month.

      When: 16th, 17th and 18th November 2012
      Venue: Burlingame High School theater, 1 Mangini Way, Burlingame, CA
      Time: November 16 & 17 at 7:00pm and November 18th at 2:00pm.
      Tickets: $12 Adults, $10 Students/Seniors

      For more information: facebook.com/BurlingameDrama

      7.2 ...AND IN MASCOUTAH, ILLINOIS

      Mascoutah High School Drama Club will present their production of
      Wyrd Sisters this month.

      When: 14th, 15th, 16th and 17th November 2012
      Venue: Mascoutah High School, 1313 West Main Street in Mascoutah,
      Illinois
      Time: 7pm (except Wednesday 14th, which is a noon matinee)
      Tickets: Reserved tickets will only be sold in advance from 5:00 to
      7:00 pm on Tuesday, November, 6th and Thursday, November 8th at $5
      for adults, $3 for students, or by special arrangement via email.
      General admission tickets will be sold before the performances.

      For more information, call Mascoutah High School at (618) 566-8523
      or contact Scot Erickson at ericksons@...

      7.3 ...AND IN ABINGDON

      [That's Abingdon, Oxon, of course, as opposed to the Abingdon in
      Iowa, Illinois, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia,
      Canada, or Fourecks! – Ed.]

      Abingdon & Witney College will present three performances of Wyrd
      Sisters in December.

      When: 11th, 12th, and 13th December 2012
      Venue: Abingdon & Witney College Abingdon Campus Performance Theatre
      Time: 7.30pm
      Tickets: £6 for adults and £4 for concessions
      To book tickets, ring 01235 555585

      For more info, go to:

      http://www.facebook.com/events/328497730579533/

      7.4 GUARDS! GUARDS! IN EMERALD, VICTORIA, FOURECKS

      The Gemco Players are currently presenting their production of
      Guards! Guards!

      When: Sunday 11th November, Friday 16th–Sunday 18th November,
      Friday 23rd–Saturday 24th November
      Venue: Gem Community Arts Centre, 19 Kilvington Drive Emerald VIC
      3782 (Melway reference 127 E5)
      Times: 8pm for all Friday and Saturday shows. The Sunday
      performances (11th and 18th) are at 2.30pm
      Tickets: Adult $22, Concession $20, School student $15. Group
      discount for bookings of four or more: $20 per ticket
      To book, ring David on 0411 723 530 or to book online, go to
      http://tinyurl.com/afejdsa

      For further information, email (gemcoplayers@...) or enquire
      via snail mail:

      Gemco Players
      PO Box 480,
      Emerald,
      VIC, 3782

      http://www.gemcoplayers.org/guards-guards

      7.5 CARPE JUGULUM IN GLENBROOK, FOURECKS

      Glenbrook Players will present their production of Carpe Jugulum –
      featuring Nullus Anxietas chair Carmela as Lady Sybil – this month.

      When: 16th-24th November 2012
      Venue: Glenbrook Community Theatre, Great Western Highway and Ross
      Street, Glenbrook, NSW (phone 4739 1110) Note: the theatre is beside
      the Information Centre and on the opposite corner to the Caltex
      petrol station
      Time: 8pm (matinees on 17th and 24th November are at 2pm)
      Tickets: AUD$25 adults, AUD$22 children (opening night and matinees:
      all tickets are at the lower price)

      How to get there:
      http://www.glenbrookplayers.com.au/location.html

      For more info and to book, go to:
      http://www.glenbrookplayers.com.au

      7.6 DODGER IN ABINGDON 2013

      More details at last for the Studio Theatre Club's world stage
      premiere of Dodger!

      When: 22nd-26th January 2013
      Venue: Unicorn Theatre, Thames Street, Abingdon, OX14 3HZ
      Time: 19:30 (the Saturday 26th matinee starts at 14:30)
      Tickets: £8.50
      How to book:
      Send your ticket order (with back-up choices if you're after Friday
      or Saturday tickets); your cheque (payable to "STC" – £8.50 per
      ticket), and a stamped, self-addressed, envelope to:

      Studio Theatre Club (Dodger)
      PO Box 1486
      Oxford
      OX4 9DQ

      Note: the Saturday evening performance (26th January 2013) is
      already sold out!

      The STC website notes that the Unicorn Theatre is located in a
      medieval building; therefore "wheelchair access is extremely limited
      and most areas of the building (including the toilets and bar area)
      are only accessible by stairs or steps."

      http://www.studiotheatreclub.com/CurrentPlans.html

      7.7 REVIEW: GUARDS! GUARDS! IN SCUNTHORPE

      Review of the Little Theatre's production of G!G!, in the Scunthorpe
      Telegraph:

      "As you'd expect from a fantasy tale, the show is full of both
      wizards and technical wizardry alike, as the dragon (cleverly only
      ever heard, though never seen on stage) wreaks havoc on the city. In
      a well-cast role, John McKenzie is The Grand Master in charge of the
      Brethren, supported by an equally talented cast. The play, which has
      some great comic moments, is partly told through a narrator, who
      takes a 'snapshot' of the stage every time she appears. This
      involves the actors staying perfectly still for the duration of her
      speech – a skill that all manage well. Although Pratchett's work
      may not be for all, with great costumes and visual effects, LTC
      successfully opens up Pratchett's imaginary world..."

      http://tinyurl.com/975nmor

      7.8 REVIEW: WYRD SISTERS IN MAINE

      This production by the Monmouth Community Players of Monmouth,
      Maine, which ran from 26th October to 4th November, seems to have
      slipped under the radar, but the review is amusing, and not only for
      the reviewer's lack of understanding of the milieu and his assorted
      misconceptions – thinking the play was based on a graphic novel, and
      Pratchett is a virtually unknown "niche" author in the USA (hellooo,
      McFly! Ever heard of the New York Times bestseller list?):

      "'Wyrd Sisters' is a comedy with a distinctly British pedigree that
      sometimes misses the mark with an American audience. Furthermore,
      it's a play derived from graphic novels about an alternate
      universe with its own particular set of physical forces. 'Wyrd
      Sisters' manages to create plenty of laughs, whether the audience
      buys into the back-story premise or not. The lead roles are well
      done by several actors from central Maine, but the plot seems to
      dart off in so many directions that just when interest is building
      in one area, it is diverted to another... Although Monmouth
      Community Players makes a noble effort to bring 'Wyrd Sisters'
      to a Maine audience, it seems to be a questionable choice of
      material... Nevertheless, there are plenty of chuckles and good-
      natured parodies of Shakespeare in this production..."

      http://tinyurl.com/b2zt2b4

      The Players' site:

      http://monmouthcommunityplayers.com

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) ONE MINUTE WITH THE MASTER

      A mini-interview with Pterry in The Independent:

      "Describe the room where you usually write

      "It's a building separate from the house with a lot of books. If you
      could get books on the ceiling...

      "Which fictional character most resembles you?

      "Commander Vimes from 'Snuff', who starts out as a copper and ends
      up as the knighted chief of police. He realises he is no longer a
      man of the people, though he's always seen himself as that. His wife
      has to explain how he should do things now..."

      http://tinyurl.com/8nbmv3j

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      09) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS

      REMINDER: IT'S FEEGLE TIME IN SOUTH AFRICA

      SADWCon 2012 Event Day: The Feegles Have Landed

      Date: 24th November 2012
      Time: Registration at 10 am for Opening at 11 am
      Venue: To be announced
      Ticket Price: Adult R150.00 – includes lunch, Children (under 13)
      R80.00 – includes lunch

      http://sadwcon.org

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS

      The latest updates from David Brashaw of Backspindle Games:

      We (Leonard & I) have just returned from the biggest board game fair
      in Europe, Spiel 12 at Essen, Germany where for a second year in a
      row "Guards! Guards! A Discworld boardgame" completely sold out!!!

      Despite being situated in a minor exhibition hall, we were snowed
      under with gamers wishing to pay our game. We had to increase the
      number of games we demoed. The international gamers loved playing
      Guards! Guards!, especially The Luggage chasing off Dragons and
      sharing The Pox with each other. They really liked the new page at
      the back of the revised rule book 'What a Player can do on their
      turn' and said it was a great help learning the game. If you order
      now from www.guardsguards.com before Christmas you can also get a
      free limited edition bookmark illustrated by Stephen Player.

      There are many iconographs of Spiel 2012 game sessions on the G!G!
      boardgame's Facebook page, but be warned – you must be signed in to
      Facebook to view them:

      http://tinyurl.com/a3v4tyv

      www.facebook.com/guardsguards

      Otherwise, you can sign in to the WOSSNAME group site as a member,
      click on Photos (left-hand sidebar) and then on the appropriate
      photo album:

      http://tinyurl.com/ata4m2x

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) ACTION REPLAY: A GREAT PTERRY INTERVIEW IN TEXT

      An excellent 2009 interview conducted by the Bookwitch:

      "Right, I get a lot of letters like 'Dear Sir, We thought our son
      was dyslexic and he wouldn't read anything at all and then we gave
      him Terry Pratchett and he read all the way through Terry Pratchett
      and now he is professor of comparative philology at the University
      of Oxbridge.' And I'm not kidding, because I've been around for long
      enough now that the boys have grown up and have got kids and in some
      cases grandchildren..."

      "I never started writing, reading rather, until I was about nine or
      ten, when I discovered the library, and wanted to read every damned
      thing. I went absolutely through it. I went not knowing they were
      sexy novels, but read sexy novels and Tove Jansson and Just William.
      I read anything that I saw, and I think among children that read,
      differentiation between adult and children's gets really quite
      blurred..."

      http://tinyurl.com/9bpasgz

      The band's back together, but only for a photo-op: the creators of
      Good Omens, in front of the iconograph in 2012:

      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A6jICrwCYAA_Its.jpg

      *

      A sign of the times, at New York Comic Con:

      http://tinyurl.com/9lan6vh
      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A5GIiCKCEAAoiwF.jpg

      ...and its explanation, from Maurice Barnes aka Mr Octarine on
      Twitter: "90% of the magic controlled by 99% of the wizards, we are
      the 1%!"

      ...and an addendum from Miranda Forth:

      "Rincewind is the 1%"

      *

      Hanging with Twoflower – Pterry and Sean Astin at Comic Con:

      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A5GHscLCYAAyLt7.jpg

      *

      The Nullus Anxietas 2013 Committee in their very eye-catching
      t-shirts:

      http://tinyurl.com/9pycmsk

      A closer look at the new logo:

      http://tinyurl.com/9zfqsh4

      *

      Om masquerading as A'Tuin, courtesy of Tom Wilbur and his tortoise
      The Stig:

      http://imgur.com/emEn2

      Lastly for now, the making of a cuddly total whittle:

      http://tinyurl.com/ay4v4p2

      ...and we'll be back later in the month!

      The End. If you have any questions or requests, write:
      interact@...