WOSSNAME -- October 2012 -- Main issue

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2012
      October 2012 (Volume 15, Issue 10, Post 1)
      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide
      Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano, L.C. Thomas
      time)

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      03) THE OFFICIAL LAUNCH OF NARRATIVIA
      04) PTERRY AT THE CHELTENHAM LITERATURE FESTIVAL
      05) DODGER REVIEWS
      06) NEW INTERVIEW IN THE INDEPENDENT
      07) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      08) ODDS AND SODS DEPARTMENT
      09) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS
      10) THE LONG EARTH: REVIEW
      11) THE ODDEST RINCEWIND EVER
      12) RHIANNA PRATCHETT INTERVIEW
      13) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS
      14) ENTER THE DODGERVERSE: THE SEVEN DIALS RAPSCALLIONS
      15) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      16) WHERE THE MULTIVERSES MEET: JEREMY'S CLOCK?

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      This month's leading quote is a quote about a quote ("man is where
      the falling angel meets the rising ape", in Hogfather):

      "Actually a sentence fragment, this little phrase — among my very
      favorites bits from any author, anywhere — embeds three thousand
      years of Western philosophical and spiritual tradition neatly into
      post-Enlightenment empiricism with an economy of words and a grace
      of phrasing that I could write a hundred years without ever
      matching."

      – Jay Lake

      "Had 'Dodger' been required reading in school, I might have liked
      Dickens more."

      – an uncredited reviewer in the Daytona Beach News-Journal

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      The first part of this month's issue is arriving in your inboxes a
      bit earlier than usual, in order to spread the news of a number of
      Discworld plays being staged over the course of the next fortnight.
      Not to mention news of the official launch of Narrativia (the
      production company, not the goddess, though the idea of another
      Discworld-styled spacecraft heading out over the Rim into the great
      unknown with an icon of Narrativia on its prow has a certain charm)
      and some exciting interviews and reviews...

      Meanwhile, according to the wording of hollywood.com's report on the
      International Emmy Awards shortlist, which was announced on the 8th
      of October, our favourite author is trying to commit suicide. Erm,
      they got it a bit wrong there:

      "Meanwhile, controversial BBC film Terry Pratchett: Choosing to Die,
      which chronicled the author's Alzheimer's Disease battle and his bid
      to end his life, is in the running for Best Documentary, up against
      South Korea's Across Land, Across Sea, Argentina's Hitler's Escape
      and Germany's Wettlauf Zum Sudpol (Race to the South Pole)...."

      http://tinyurl.com/8r6fgpk

      ...whereas the BBC got it right, bless Auntie:

      "Terry Pratchett: Choosing to Die is nominated for best documentary.
      The BBC Two programme looked at how best-selling author Pratchett,
      who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2008, might choose to
      end his life. It was honoured at both the Bafta TV Awards and the
      Royal Television Society Awards earlier this year."

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19884012

      [The winners will be announced on 19th November – Ed.]

      Right, on with the show!

      – Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) THE OFFICIAL LAUNCH OF NARRATIVIA

      The announcement in P-space:

      1st October 2012, London – International bestselling author Sir
      Terry Pratchett today launched NARRATIVIA, a new multimedia
      production company with exclusive worldwide rights to all of the
      writer's work across Film, Television, Merchandising and Digital
      Media.

      NARRATIVIA will bring the management and development of the
      Pratchett brand under one roof and the executive team, headed by
      Managing Director Rod Brown, will be based in Soho London. Brown
      will work closely with the author, and NARRATIVIA directors,
      Pratchett's business manager Rob Wilkins and author's daughter and
      fellow writer, Rhianna Pratchett, on a day to day basis, to drive
      the company forward.

      NARRATIVIA is already working on a number of Pratchett related
      Television and Film projects with high profile production partners
      and script writers, details of which will be announced in due
      course. NARRATIVIA will ensure that projects stay true to the
      author's intelligent and empathetic vision, while diversifying into
      the formats that will introduce the work, both old and new, to new
      territories and audiences.

      Sir Terry Pratchett said, "This is an exciting and natural
      development for me and my works, and I look forward to working
      closely with the team to develop new stories in areas other than
      just print and ebooks and, of course, seeing my first Big Screen
      project come to fruition."

      Rod Brown said, "This is a dream challenge for me! Having worked
      very happily with Terry, Rob and Rhianna over the past decade on the
      three mini series for Sky 1, I have grown to love the world and
      characters Terry has created so when Terry invited me to head up the
      company for him, it was easy to say yes... please!"

      http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html

      In The Guardian:

      "Narrativia will produce TV adaptations of some of Pratchett's best-
      known novels, including a four-part series based on his 1990s comedy
      Good Omens... Narrativia is in the process of producing a 13-part
      series set in Ankh Morpork, the fictional city from Pratchett's
      Discworld novels, named The Watch, after the city's police force.
      Good Omens will be co-written by Monty Python star Terry Jones and
      Gavin Scott, whose credits include The Mists of Avalon and Legend of
      Earthsea. The Watch will be written by Guy Burt, whose credits
      include The Borgias and The Bletchley Circle. Pratchett's move to
      launch his own production company follows a successful series of
      Sky1 adaptations of his Discworld novels Hogfather, The Colour of
      Magic and Going Postal..."

      http://tinyurl.com/9efqw4y

      In Bleeding Cool News, an interesting typing error suggests that The
      Watch will be the least expensive telly series ever made:

      "The first series of The Watch is planned to run to thirteen
      episodes of sixty minutes each. According to Broadcast, this will
      require a budget of £13-15 in total. Several international
      broadcasters or home entertainment distributors will have to bite to
      make this possible..."

      http://tinyurl.com/8asq9nt

      In The Stage:

      "A statement issued by the company today said Narrativia is
      currently 'working on a number of Pratchett-related television and
      film projects with high-profile production partners and script
      writers'. 'Narrativia will ensure the projects stay true to the
      author's intelligent and empathetic vision, while diversifying into
      the formats that will introduce the work, both old and new, to new
      territories and audiences,' it added...."

      http://tinyurl.com/8l6tqbw

      In Variety:

      "Founded with former Prime Focus Prods. topper Rod Brown, projects
      in development include 'The Watch,' a police procedural series based
      on characters from 'Discworld,' his hugely popular genre series. The
      13-part skein, budgeted at £2 million ($3.2 million) an episode, is
      being written by former Monty Python star Terry Jones and Guy Burt,
      a writer on Showtime's 'The Borgias.' It has yet to be picked up...
      Brown said, 'Terry's in good shape. He is writing some of his best
      ever stuff, including the recently published "Dodger," which is a
      bestseller'... The new company will be run by Brown, Pratchett's
      daughter Rhianna Pratchett, and his business manager Rob Wilkins.
      Each will take an equal stake in Narrativia, named after a deity
      created by the novelist who smiles down on writers..."

      http://tinyurl.com/9385yjo

      ...and on Planet Friesen, home of all the recent Pterry internet
      logos:

      http://donteatanybugs.net/FabFour.jpg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) PTERRY AT THE CHELTENHAM LITERATURE FESTIVAL

      A quotable bit of quoting from The Times (which now requires paid
      subscription, sadly):

      "Sir Terry Pratchett has a few more books in him before he becomes
      incapacitated by Alzheimer's disease, he reassured an audience at
      Cheltenham. 'I'm good enough for purpose. I've got mechanisms that
      help me write and I very much enjoy using them. So I am okay, and I
      would not wish to be anybody else.' He promised at least one more
      book in his Discworld series and an autobiography, which he wants to
      write 'before some bastard does it'."

      http://tinyurl.com/9pxzss9

      A report by Daisy Blacklock in the Gloucestershire Echo (This Is
      Gloucestershire):

      The author, who has sold a jaw-dropping 80 million books, was
      diagnosed with early on-set Alzheimer's in 2007, and made his
      appearance on day three of Festival 2012 to talk about Dodger, his
      latest, Dickens-inspired book for young adults. The writer is
      showing few signs, if any, of slowing down, however. His talk with
      PA and fellow writer, Rob Wilkins, spanned everything from
      Narrativia, his just-launched, multimedia production company, and
      the 13-part prime-time TV series that is in-the-pipeline, to the
      first draft of his next Discworld book – along with a colourful
      anecdote or few from his travels round Australia and America...
      Speaking on the inspiration behind Dodger, Pratchett said that as a
      boy he had been struck by Dickens', and the social reformer Henry
      Mayhew's, depictions of poverty in the reign of Queen Victoria.
      'Dickens used fiction to spell out the plight of the underclass in
      early Victorian London, while Mayhew used hard facts. He was a man
      of a statistics ...you can't believe how bad things were for the
      poor in London ...that stayed with me for a long time.'"

      http://tinyurl.com/8bj8dh9

      Pterry enjoying himself in the backstage tent:

      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A4nM4xiCYAIUj6F.jpg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) DODGER REVIEWS

      Reviewed by Cory Doctorow on BoingBoing. I love it when one of my
      favourite authors gives a (rightly justified!) rave review of work
      by another of my favourite authors:

      "Nominally, this is an historical novel, a fictionalized account of
      the fictionalized person who inspired Mr Charlie Dickens to create
      his much-beloved character The Artful Dodger. But as the story
      unfolds, the parallels between the early Victorian London of Dickens
      (and Mayhew) and the Ankh-Morpork of Pratchett's Discworld novels
      become sharper and clearer, so that by the end, we're reading a
      story that really could be set in either one of those fantastical
      places, and what's more, there's a kind of vividness to Dodger that
      comes, I think, from its proximity to the origin of Pratchett's
      inspiration, a cask-strength version of what makes Pratchett so
      addictive and so loved...

      "Dodger features some of Pratchett's most engaging characters yet –
      which is saying something! – inasmuch as these people are allowed
      to experience and react to the mercilessly cruel world of Victorian
      London, which Pratchett is fearless about describing... This is a
      book that is every bit as funny as any Discworld novel, and includes
      Pratchett's signature trick of hiding the gravity of the world in
      absurdity, a very serious pill wrapped up in a fluffy, sweet
      confection. What's more, Dodger features the most satisfying climax
      and denouement of any Pratchett novel of my recollection, a
      thunderous final chord that lingers and stretches..."

      http://tinyurl.com/9npxos8

      An uncredited review in the Daytona Beach News-Journal:

      "I was particularly looking forward to 'Dodger,' Pratchett's dip
      into the Dickensian world, since frankly I've never been much of a
      fan of anything of Dickens that didn't involve Muppets or
      Blackadder. But his stories are so universally beloved they've
      become part of the fabric of our society, and the Artful Dodger was
      one of his best creations. Why not give him his own book? ... Much
      like in his last Discworld book, 'Snuff,' his protagonist faces a
      lot of adventure but not enough setbacks, in my view, to have a
      really satisfying feel. But Pratchett's strengths of
      characterization, dialogue and human insight are all here in force,
      and his peculiar blend of humor and tragedy puts human faces on the
      downtrodden and the gentry alike...v The main character in 'Dodger,'
      however, is not a street urchin. It's London. 19th century London
      seems to be a passion of Pratchett's and it's here in all its
      glory..."

      http://tinyurl.com/93wgng2

      An NPR review by Tasha Robinson:

      "Asked about the increasingly grim turns in his best-selling
      Discworld novels (recent books have dealt with war, systemic
      slavery, demonic possession, and what it means to be human),
      Pratchett suggested that it wasn't illness but age that has made him
      cynical and prone to see the world more critically. But that
      cynicism isn't apparent in his new young-adult novel Dodger, one of
      only a handful of Pratchett books that departs from his 39-volume
      Discworld series. His protagonists normally display bitter, hard-won
      humanism, and battle their own skepticism along with outside forces.
      But Dodger is sunnier and more upbeat. As Pratchett explores life in
      Victorian London, bringing in famous figures and lingering over
      unusual professions, it's hard to shake the notion that he's
      enjoying his excursion into historical drama too much to be all that
      hard on his characters... He has a similar fascination with the
      era's slang and the historical oddities of Mayhew's 1851 social
      survey London Labour and the London Poor. For instance, he devotes a
      fair bit of the book to exploring the entrepreneurial creativity and
      secret religion of toshers, who made their living searching for lost
      valuables in London's sewers...

      "Stylistically, Dodger doesn't differ significantly from Pratchett's
      books marketed to older readers. He still engages in his usual wry,
      straight-faced wordplay: Dodger contemplates being a "successful
      urchin" by "studying how to urch." At another point, a suspicious
      doctor gives him "a cursory glance which had quite a lot of curse in
      it." But these linguistic gags are rare in a book that's more
      focused on the violent, miserablist aspects of Victorian England,
      which Pratchett doesn't soften or elide for young-adult readers..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cjdsznk

      Reviewed by Nicholas Tucker in The Independent:

      "Doubly Dickensian, it both features the great author as a character
      and borrows from his novels when it comes to giant-size emotions,
      flawless heroines and convoluted plotting. Dodger himself is nothing
      like the sharp-eyed original from Oliver Twist. Instead he is a
      basically noble young gentleman of the London rookeries,
      effortlessly competent in everything from thieving to outwitting
      villains, with an ability to come out on top that verges on the
      supernatural... On his final noisome journey he is accompanied by
      Dickens, Disraeli and Sir Joseph Bazalgette. All highly unlikely,
      but with writing of this warmth, who cares?..."

      http://tinyurl.com/9stdamm

      Reviewed by Pam Norfolk in the Lancashire Evening Post:

      "Terry Pratchett is on his very best form in this atmospheric tale
      of dastardly deeds and scary skulduggery in deepest, darkest
      Victorian London. It's a tribute to Charles Dickens, one of
      Pratchett's heroes and another socially aware author, with the star
      role going to an 'artful' character called Dodger, a teenage sewer
      scavenger with a heart of gold... A master magician and storyteller
      extraordinaire, Pratchett manages to combine social realism with his
      special brand of humour, a rollocking adventure story and an
      eccentric and colourful cast of characters. Funny, poignant and
      exciting..."

      http://tinyurl.com/8kjz4rl

      Reviewed by Jennifer Obloy on Examiner.com:

      "Dodger is yet another prime example of Pratchett's ability to weave
      a story rife with his signature motifs of fantasy, adventure, and a
      healthy amount of wit. What makes Dodger particularly intriguing is
      the incorporation of endeared figures in both English literature and
      history. From Sweeney Todd to Charles Dickens to Benjamin Disraeli,
      the marriage of Pratchett's genius with those of many other
      masterminds creates a spectacularly robust plot that is fitting for
      both veterans and newcomers of Pratchett's illustrious
      idiosyncrasies..."

      http://tinyurl.com/9f3of7c

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      O6) NEW INTERVIEW IN THE INDEPENDENT

      A fine interview conducted by Arifa Akbar:

      "He begins haltingly, with a gentle frost around his words. Then, as
      he warms up with stories about the seamier side of Victorian life
      (the subject of his latest novel for young adults, Dodger) and his
      constantly delayed endeavours to write his memoir (working title: A
      Life in Footnotes), he undergoes an almost physical transformation.
      By the time he's recalling his entry into Science Fiction as a boy
      (via a porn shop run by an old dear), and reflecting on his prolific
      output in spite of being diagnosed with a rare form of Alzheimer's
      (a career-spanning set of short stories, A Blink of the Screen, was
      released weeks after Dodger), he appears positively youthful: sharp,
      wry, glinty-eyed, mischievous...

      "'Dodger is a fantasy based on a reality. This is a historical
      fantasy, and certainly not a historical novel,' he states. His
      extensive research into the weird and wacky side of the period has
      even fed into Discworld. 'I had been researching old London for a
      long time because it's also really useful for Discworld. There you
      also have a very grotty but also very powerful city.'... There is a
      small tremor to his handshake, and he searches for a word in one
      prolonged moment of silence, but there is little sinister in this,
      for a 64-year-old. He concurs. 'If you didn't know, you wouldn't
      know.' For now, he says he is largely battling old age... Nowadays,
      unable to type, he uses the computer program TalkingPoint, which
      requires him to speak his stories out loud (his assistant later
      types up the pages). The change in work practice has not thrown him.
      In fact it is quicker, and perhaps more fluent, than screwing pages
      up and starting again, he says. He has even taught TalkingPoint the
      necessary Discworld vocabulary. "As a journalist, sometimes you're
      writing your copy against a wall. What is it you are ultimately
      doing? You're telling a story. How do you tell it? You use your
      mouth. The way I'm doing it now...'"

      http://tinyurl.com/8syxqmx

      7.1 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN SILCHESTER

      The Silchester Players' production of Wyrd Sisters is still running.

      When: 19th & 20th October 2012
      Venue: Silchester Village Hall, near Basingstoke, RG7 2ND
      Time: Doors open 7.00pm, curtain at 7.30pm
      Tickets: Adults £8, Concessions £6, and can be booked by phone on
      0118 981 5600.

      For further details, go to:

      www.silchesterplayers.hampshire.org.uk

      7.2 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN STAFFORDSHIRE

      Tower Players present their production of Wyrd Sisters next week.

      When: 19th and 20th October 2012
      Venue: The Rose Theatre, Rugeley, Staffs
      Time: 7:30pm (doors open at 7pm)
      Tickets: Adults £7, Concessions £6
      Box Office 01889 584306
      Enquiries : towerplayers@...

      For more info, and to purchase tickets online, go to:
      http://www.towerplayers.co.uk/tptickets.html

      http://www.towerplayers.co.uk/index.html

      Enquiries: towerplayers@...

      7.3 REMINDER: GUARDS! GUARDS! IN SCUNTHORPE

      Scunthorpe Little Theatre Club will be performing Guards!
      Guards! this coming week.

      When: Wednesday 17th October to Saturday 20th October 2012
      Venue: The Plowright Theatre, Scunthorpe, Lincs
      Time: 7:30pm
      Tickets: £9
      Box Office: 0844 854 2776

      For a current article in This Is Scunthorpe about the production, go
      to:
      http://tinyurl.com/9c7hzly

      7.4 GOING POSTAL IN HALIFAX

      The Halifax Thespians bring Going Postal to the stage next week!

      When: Tuesday 16th to Saturday 20th October
      Venue: Halifax Playhouse, King Cross Street, Halifax HX1 2SH (phone
      01422 365998)
      Time: 7:30pm (Saturday matinee at 2:30pm)
      Tickets: £10 (£8 concessions). Some "two for the price of one"
      tickets are also available. The box office is open on non-show
      weekdays from 1pm to 6pm and on show days from 1pm to 6pm and 7pm
      (6.45pm Saturdays) to 8pm. Or to buy tickets online, go to:

      http://halifaxplayhouse.ticketsource.co.uk/

      Box office: 01422 365998

      http://home.btconnect.com/playhouse1/productions/Postal.html

      7.5 WYRD SISTERS IN TORQUAY

      The TOADS Tadpoles Youth Theatre will present their production of
      Wyrd Sisters on Halloween week.

      When: 31st October to 3rd November 2012
      Venue: TOADS Theatre Company, The Little Theatre, St Marks Road,
      Meadfoot, Torquay TQ1 2EL (phone +44 1803 299330)
      Time: 7.30pm
      Tickets £7/£5
      Box office hours are 10.30am - 1.30pm Monday to Friday, and 6.30pm -
      8.00pm on performance evenings

      http://toadslittletheatre.co.uk/forthcoming-shows/

      More about the Tadpoles:

      http://www.toadslittletheatre.co.uk/tadpoles/

      7.6 GUARDS! GUARDS! IN EMERALD, VICTORIA, FOURECKS

      The Gemco Players will perform their production of Guards! Guards!
      in November.

      When: Friday 9th–Sunday 11th November, Friday 16th–Sunday 18th
      November, and Friday 23rd–Saturday 24th November
      Venue: Gem Community Arts Centre, 19 Kilvington Drive Emerald VIC
      3782 (Melway reference 127 E5)
      Times: 8pm for all Friday and Saturday shows. The Sunday
      performances (11th and 18th) are at 2.30pm
      Tickets: ring 0411 723 530 for bookings

      For further information, email (gemcoplayers@...) or enquire
      via snail mail:

      Gemco Players
      PO Box 480,
      Emerald,
      VIC, 3782

      http://www.gemcoplayers.org/guards-guards

      7.7 CARPE JUGULUM IN GLENBROOK, FOURECKS

      Glenbrook Players will present their production of Carpe Jugulum –
      featuring Nullus Anxietas chair Carmela as Lady Sybil – in
      November.

      When: 16th-24th November 2012
      Venue: Glenbrook Community Theatre, Great Western Highway and Ross
      Street, Glenbrook, NSW (phone 4739 1110) Note: the theatre is beside
      the Information Centre and on the opposite corner to the Caltex
      petrol station
      Time: 8pm (matinees on 17th and 24th November are at 2pm)
      Tickets: AUD$25 adults, AUD$22 children (opening night and matinees:
      all tickets are at the lower price)

      How to get there:
      http://www.glenbrookplayers.com.au/location.html

      For more info and to book, go to:
      http://www.glenbrookplayers.com.au

      7.8 GOOD OMENS IN GLASGOW: THE LATEST NEWS

      The 2013 world stage premiere of Good Omens, to be presented by the
      Cult Classic theatre company, has now been cast (except for the part
      of Mr Young, Adam's earthly father) and is ready to begin
      preliminary rehearsals. As you can see below, there will be a cast of
      thousands – well, of dozens. Once again, WOSSNAME wishes director-
      facilitator Amy Hoff and the company every success in this ambitious
      venture!

      Also, Amy and the Cult Classic gang would like to hear from "any and
      all people interested in backstage work (costumes, props, tech,
      etc). If you are interested in any of these things for Good Omens
      please do get in touch."

      Aziraphale: Stephen Bell
      Crowley: Christopher Honey
      Newt: Stewart Archibald
      Anathema: Jennifer Mackenzie
      Shadwell: Ian Hughes
      Madame Tracy: Debbie Foster
      Adam: Nicky Stanley
      Brian: Richard Elliot McGonigle
      Pepper: Joy Coppell
      Wensleydale: Linn Mattison
      Famine: Sanjay Lago
      War: Kerry Burley
      Death: Jamie Adams-Taylor
      Pollution: James Carter
      Frannie/Tompkins: Evonne Beardsworth
      Sister Grace/Sherryl: Simona Koleva
      Sister Mary: Amy Lawn
      Pedro/Beelzebub: Ciaron Kelly
      Fernando/Metatron: Christopher Stanley
      Pianist/Radio Announcer/Guard: Eilidh Leiper
      Postman: Joseph Bell
      Narrator: Bill Albright
      Hastur: Alasdair Reavey
      Ligur: Vharri Laverz
      Voice of Satan: Pete Sneddon

      For more info, and assorted photographs (cast photos will be up
      soon!), go to:

      www.cultclassic.org

      7.9 DODGER IN ABINGDON 2013: UPDATES

      The Studio Theatre Club's world stage premiere of Dodger will take
      place on 22nd to 26th January 2013!

      The STC says:

      "Dodger is a tosher – a sewer scavenger living in the squalor of
      Dickensian London. Everyone who is nobody knows Dodger. Anyone who
      is anybody doesn't. But when he rescues a young girl from a beating,
      suddenly everybody wants to know him. And Dodger's tale of
      skulduggery, dark plans and even darker deeds begins... Rehearsals
      for the world premiere staging of Sir Terry Pratchett's just-
      published book have just begun – still time to get involved, if
      you'd like to! The play will be staged on 22 to 26 January. Tickets
      will go on sale on 22 October – book early!"

      How to book:

      Send your ticket order (with back-up choices if you're after Friday
      or Saturday tickets); your cheque (payable to 'STC' – £8.50 per
      ticket), and a stamped, self-addressed, envelope to:

      Studio Theatre Club (Dodger)
      PO Box 1486
      Oxford
      OX4 9DQ

      http://www.studiotheatreclub.com/CurrentPlans.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) ODDS AND SODS DEPARTMENT

      8.1 Wired magazine reports on Sir Pterry's appearance at New York's
      ComiCon this month:

      "Vimes is the no-nonsense commander of the City Watch, a burgeoning
      police force in the fantasy Discworld city of Ankh-Morpork. His
      exploits will form the basis of the show, to be called The Watch.
      'Think of it like a Pratchett-style CSI,' the charismatic British
      novelist said. 'Only you won't get it over here because you tipped
      our tea in the harbor 'n' all that shit,' he joked to the laughing
      crowd. It might be fair to say that Samuel Vimes and Sir Terry
      aren't all that dissimilar. Vimes worked his way up from poverty-
      struck origins to the aristocratic circles of Ankh-Morpork society.
      Pratchett grew up in public housing and described himself at Comic
      Con as a 'poor man with lots of money. I still clean my own toilet,'
      he hastened to add... 'I fully intend there to be a Dodger sequel,'
      he said, but with a caveat: 'as long as I'm spared. You must pray
      for me.' Pratchett was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in
      December 2007. He didn't waste the opportunity to playfully mock his
      fans, though: 'You don't look like a praying lot, I must say.'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/98zc4u4

      8.2 The animated Discworld?!

      http://tinyurl.com/dyvr2rx

      8.3 Team Pratchett and Transworld's Lynsey Dalladay in Dodger-era
      garb for the launch party:

      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A3KwlkhCYAAm5ib.jpg

      8.4 A Dodger video "intro" by The Author on YouTube:
      http://tinyurl.com/8agwwd6

      8.5 Also on YouTube, Science Gallery's Q&A session with the Science
      of Discworld trio:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XR8OfsiB80

      (Full video is 1 hr 8 mins long – Ed.)

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      09) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS

      9.1 NAIV (AUSDWCON) UPDATES

      News from the Nullus Anxietas IV crew:

      We are excited to announce that, after some clever wheeling and
      dealing by our Chair, and due to the endless good favour of Bernard
      Pearson, the Discworld Emporium is joining us at Nullus Anxietas IV!
      Bernard "The Cunning Artificer" is lending us Ian Mitchell and Reb
      Voyce, who will be touting their wares. For those unaware of the
      Discworld Emporium (call yourselves Discworld fans?) check out their
      Facebook page and their website:

      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Discworld-Emporium/110497847377

      http://www.discworldemporium.com/

      All contact information for Nullus Anxietas:
      http://ausdwcon.org/
      http://www.facebook.com/NullusAnxietasIV/
      @nullusanxietas4
      nullusanxietasiv.tumblr.com
      and search for Nullus Anxietas IV on Google+

      9.2 CABBAGECON (DUTCH DW CON) NEWS

      "Between 24 and 26 May 2013 the second Dutch Discworld Convention
      Cabbagecon 2 will happen at the NH Hotel Zandvoort in Zandvoort aan
      Zee. It will be a happy occasion for fans of Sir Terry Pratchett
      from the Netherlands and abroad to meet each other and have fun. We
      hope to see you too!"

      Attending fees for the Second Dutch Discworld Convention: valid till

      Adults
      For the weekend €40.00
      Day tickets €25.00

      Concessions, students and children born after 26 May 1995
      For the weekend €35.00
      Day tickets €20.00

      Children born after 26 May 2008 free only when accompanied by a
      paying adult

      ATTENTION: REGISTRATION IS ONLY POSSIBLE FOR REGISTERED USERS AND
      VALID AFTER RECEIPT OF PAYMENT

      Badge names: names longer than 20 characters are not allowed. Longer
      names will be cut off. If you book for two or more people you may
      enter multiple badge names. If you want to change your name, please
      send a mail with your old and new name to info@.... You
      will receive a confirmation mail after the change has been made.

      To register, and for more information, consult various menus on this
      page:

      http://dutchdwcon.nl/?language=en

      9.3 WADFEST UPDATES

      An update on the Wadfest forum from Wadfest's Rob Lupine:

      Some of you may have noticed an absence of forum on the Wadfest site
      recently. There are a few reasons for this. The main reason is that
      Waddy found a red button in the forum programming software that was
      labelled, "Do not press this button under any circumstances!" and -
      well you know the rest. However we have decided to take this
      opportunity to launch a brand sparkly new forum in its place as part
      of the big Wadfest reboot! When you register to this forum you'll
      notice some changes right away. We hope you'll find it a more
      relaxed, less formal format. You'll be able to contribute to
      community discussions round the virtual campfire, keep up to date
      with the latest Wadfest announcements and trade or swap memorabilia
      on our trading post. There is even an exclusive section for ticket
      holders, where they can plot and plan activities for the big
      weekend!

      The new rebooted forum is now up and accessible via the link on the
      Wadfest homepage. Wadfest in 2013 will run from 9th–11th August at
      the new venue:

      Wood Green Animal Shelter
      King's Bush Farm
      London Road, Godmanchester,
      Cambridgeshire, PE29 2NH

      With the new venue comes a new and improved ticket
      price: £20, which is £5 less than the 2011 price.

      For more info, go to:

      http://www.wadfest.co.uk

      9.4 IRISH DISCWORLD CONVENTION 2013

      "Hear Ye! Hear Ye! The 3rd Biennial Irish Discworld Convention is
      coming upon us! 1st – 4th November 2013! The Radisson Blu Hotel,
      Limerick! Ladies and Gentlemen, Trolls and Dwarfs – of both definite
      and possible gender, Vamps, Vampires and Vampirinas, Orcs, Goblins
      and all other denizens who inhabit the Disc! We would like to invite
      you to the 3rd Biennial Discworld Convention. We bid you welcome!
      Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!"

      Membership prices are Adult €40
      Student €30
      Concession €30
      Teen (13-18) €15
      Junior (8-12) €10
      Mini (0-7) Free!

      To purchase your membership, go to:

      http://www.idwcon.org/purchase-membership

      For more information in general:

      http://www.idwcon.org/

      https://www.facebook.com/idwcon

      9.5 REMINDER: IT'S FEEGLE TIME IN SOUTH AFRICA

      SADWCon 2012 Event Day: The Feegles Have Landed

      Date: 24th November 2012
      Time: Registration at 10 am for Opening at 11 am
      Venue: To be announced
      Ticket Price: Adult R150.00 – includes lunch, Children (under 13)
      R80.00 – includes lunch

      http://sadwcon.org

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) REVIEW OF THE LONG EARTH

      By Michael Cheang in Malaysia's The Star:

      "I have to admit, what attracted me most to this book was the name
      'Terry Pratchett' printed on its cover. I'm a huge fan of
      Pratchett's books (Discworld or otherwise), but I had yet to read a
      single book of Baxter's until now, even though he is one of the most
      prolific authors in the science fiction genre... [Neil] Gaiman once
      told me during an interview that many people assume that Good Omens
      had him doing 'all the dark bits' while Pratchett just walked around
      behind him adding in the jokes. Well, I had that same assumption
      about The Long Earth, which really felt as though Baxter had written
      a serious science fiction book, and roped in Pratchett to make it
      funnier. Granted, that may be because I'm more familiar with
      Pratchett's work than with Baxter's, but I just could not shake the
      feeling that this was more of a Stephen Baxter book than a Terry
      Pratchett one. Don't get me wrong though, The Long Earth is pretty
      good, as long as you're not expecting one of Pratchett's Discworld
      books... All in all, The Long Earth is an easy enough read (I
      managed to finish it within a day), and has enough charm and
      ingenuity to make it pretty compelling as well. However, I felt that
      there really should be more to the story, and that there is so much
      more potential to the universe Baxter and Pratchett have created..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cv45wsl

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) THE ODDEST RINCEWIND EVER...

      In the Huffington Post, news of a very unusual pin-up calendar:

      "Lee Moyer's lifelike illustrations have donned album covers and
      Laurel & Hardy box sets. Last year, he made his first-ever literary
      pin-up calendar, with profits going to Patrick Rothfuss's literary-
      themed charity Worldbuilders (Rothfuss is a co-author of the
      project) and this year he's back with more illustrations. But this
      time there's a twist – rather than illustrate the works of long-dead
      authors, he's gone for modern-day fantasy writers, including Neil
      Gaiman, Patricia Briggs, George RR Martin, Terry Pratchett and Jim
      Butcher, who approved the concepts and illustrations of their own
      characters... Terry Pratchett in fact, approved both the concept of
      his pin-up and also the model, who is the talented model and actress
      Clare Grant of Team Unicorn..."

      http://tinyurl.com/8g6km8l

      A direct link to the image of "Rincewind":

      http://tinyurl.com/9u4cte3

      In The Guardian:

      "It's a fantasy fan's dream: from a sexy female Rincewind to a
      sizzling Lady Amalthea, a series of reimagined fantasy characters
      from the pens of authors including George RR Martin and Terry
      Pratchett will be making up a 'literary pin-ups' calendar for 2013.
      Artist Lee Moyer, backed by fantasy author Patrick Rothfuss's
      charity Worldbuilders, published his first literary pin-ups calendar
      last year, featuring takes on the works of Charles Dickens, Mark
      Twain and Nathaniel Hawthorne. This year, Moyer decided that
      'instead of deceased authors who couldn't fight back', he'd ask 12
      fantasy writers to take part... Pratchett, meanwhile, signed off on
      Moyer's unusual version of Rincewind, a far cry from the author's
      description of the character in The Colour of Magic as 'scrawny,
      like most wizards'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/d9va2v5

      A whimsical view in Escapist Magazine:

      "You may remember Rincewind as the skinny drink of water with the
      spirit of a wizard but the body of a long distance runner, from
      Terry Pratchett's Discworld series; however should you lay your
      hands on a copy of Lee Moyer's 2013 Literary Pin-Up Calendar you'll
      note one or two minor changes to the canon. Moyer has taken – with
      full permission from the authors concerned – inspiration from some
      of fantasy's most well-beloved characters to create this latest
      version of his charity cheesecake series. The last time Moyer – a
      Dark Horse and DC Comics veteran – tackled something like this, he
      used the likes of Dickens and Hawthorne. However Moyer decided that
      2013 deserved living authors' works, not the dead and dusty Twain,
      and so he contacted twelve fantasy icons and asked if they wouldn't
      mind lending Moyer their characters for the next calendar. They
      agreed, and thus Rincewind with a fake beard – among other things
      – was born..."

      http://tinyurl.com/8ekzvax

      And the reaction to the news, on the BU campus...

      Professor Pumpkin:
      Potatoes! Keep thinking of potatoes...

      Vera:
      Lovely creamy round potatoes, with lots of... milk...

      Libwolf:
      So Esk grew up...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) RHIANNA PRATCHETT INTERVIEW

      For all you Tomb Raider aficionados out there, here be a new
      interview in Escapist Magazine that's really worth reading...

      "For me, it was about going back to a more human Lara - one who
      didn't have all the answers and gadgets, and hadn't been in such
      extreme circumstances before. It was important to the team that both
      the story and gameplay brought out her bravery, empathy and
      resourcefulness. But also her pure geeky love of archeology and her
      burning desire for understanding and knowledge. I also wanted to put
      a bit more warmth back into Lara, as I think over the years she's
      become a bit of a Teflon-coated ice queen (especially in the
      movies.)... I can completely understand why people were initially
      upset [by the supposed rape scene in the game trailer at ComicCon –
      Ed.], but it really is important for players to see, and judge, that
      scene in context. Only then is it more obvious that the scene isn't
      about the guy's fumblings, but Lara's reaction (which wasn't fully
      shown in the trailer.) If we felt that sexual assault was important
      for Lara's journey, then it would have been used much more strongly.
      But we didn't, so it isn't. What you see in that scene is very
      honest and appropriate for those characters in that moment. It's not
      prolonged. It's not done for titillation. It's uncomfortable, yes.
      Because it should be! Character is not built in a few fleeting
      moments, but by a series of challenges, actions and reactions. Lara
      has already faced quite a bit of adversity before that scene and
      will go on to face many more..."

      http://tinyurl.com/9xmanrq

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS

      The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South
      Australia. TCoSG have regular dinner and games nights, plus play
      outings, craft-y workshops, and fun social activities throughout the
      year. For more info and to join their mailing list, go to:

      http://ausdwcon.org/pages/smallgods

      The Broken Vectis Drummers meet on the first Thursday of every month
      from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight. The next
      meeting will probably be on Thursday 1st November, but do email
      (see below) to check. All new members and curious passersby are very
      welcome! For more info and any queries, contact:

      broken_vectis_drummers@...

      The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) meets on the first
      Friday of every month at the famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
      Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome! The next WOTS meeting will
      (probably) be on Friday 2nd November.

      The next meeting of the Broken Drummers, London's original Discworld
      meeting group, will be from 7pm on Monday 5th November (remember,
      remember!) at the Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London W2 1JQ.

      For more info, contact BrokenDrummers@...

      http://www.steeljam.co.uk/brokendrummers/

      The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
      Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, have been meeting on a regular
      basis since 2005 but is now looking to take in some new blood
      (presumably not in the non-reformed Uberwald manner). The Flatalists
      normally meet at The Narrowboat Pub in Victoria Street, Skipton, N
      Yorks, to discuss "all things Pratchett" as well as having quizzes
      and raffles.

      Details of future meetings are posted on the Events section of the
      Discworld Stamps forum:

      http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

      Drummers Downunder meet on the first Monday of every month in Sydney
      at Maloneys, corner of Pitt & Goulburn Streets, at 6.30pm. For more
      information, contact Sue (aka Granny Weatherwax):

      kenworthys@...

      Perth Drummers meet on the traditional date of first Monday of the
      month, from 6pm at The Vic Hotel, 226 Hay St, Subiaco. The next
      meeting will be on Monday 5th November. For more information
      contact:

      Daniel Hatton at daniel_j_hatton@...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) ENTER THE DODGERVERSE: THE SEVEN DIALS RAPSCALLIONS

      We can't time-travel back to the era of Dodger, but a dedicated
      group of strolling street players have brought Dodger's world back
      to life in the modern age. The Seven Dials Rapscallions are "a group
      of like minded individuals who portray characters living the side of
      Victorian life that is always overlooked... these characters were in
      the majority but their lives are never really seen through re-
      enactment. We chose to bring these people and their lives to the
      fore through our passionate link for historical interpretation and
      interaction with the public... Our goal is to promote the history of
      the Victorian era that no-one sees. The beggars and the vagabonds,
      the petty criminals and the 'peelers', the working women and the
      children who scratched around in poverty to survive. Our characters
      are re-created in miniscule detail from costume, the language of the
      day, the currency, the goods for sale, the food and the social
      activities of the time. Witness bare knuckle fights, try your luck
      at games of chance, see the little match girl, the flower seller,
      ladies of a not altogether honest nature. Beware of pick pockets, of
      scoundrells who will take your last penny and then ask for more.
      Relish the sight of the 'Peelers' who try to impart law over the
      disorder, we are street theatre at it's best!"

      Here be a marvellous photo of the rapscallions in Seven Dials,
      Dodger's home patch!

      http://tinyurl.com/9t6szo3

      To contact the Rapscallions directly, email
      thevictorians2010@... or ring 0798 625 1000

      For more information about their activities, and a wealth of
      photographs, have a wander around their website:

      http://www.sevendialsrapscallions.co.uk/

      Good Omens knitted & embroidered cover. In a word, WOW!

      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A4IjzsGCYAAsS1Z.jpg

      Granny in ink. Looking like Pterry has always described her:

      http://tinyurl.com/8rz6r96

      Great A'Tuin and the Discworld, in oils on canvas by Genie Lee:

      http://tinyurl.com/97f5359

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) WHERE THE MULTIVERSES MEET: JEREMY'S CLOCK?

      "Researchers have now proposed an experimental design for a 'space-
      time crystal' that would be able to keep time forever. This four-
      dimensional crystal would be similar to conventional 3D crystals,
      which are structures, like snowflakes and diamonds, whose atoms are
      arranged in repeating patterns. Whereas a diamond has a periodic
      structure in three dimensions, the space-time crystal would be
      periodic in time as well as space. The idea of a 4D space-time
      crystal was first proposed earlier this year by MIT physicist Frank
      Wilczek, though the concept was purely theoretical. Now a team of
      researchers led by Xiang Zhang of California's Lawrence Berkeley
      National Laboratory has conceived of how to make one a reality...
      Zhang and his colleagues suggest that a space-time crystal could be
      constructed using an electric field to trap charged atoms (called
      ions), and taking advantage of the natural repulsion between two
      like-charged particles (positive and positive, or negative and
      negative), which is called Coulomb repulsion... At its lowest
      quantum-energy state, also known as its ground state, the system has
      no disorder, or entropy, and there is no way for its entropy to
      increase over time. Thus, the crystal's temporal structure and
      timekeeping ability would continue even after the universe reached a
      state of 'heat death,' also known as thermodynamic equilibrium, when
      it had devolved into entropy..."

      or http://tinyurl.com/9vjo6ue

      We'll be back at a more usual date later in the month with more news
      and either a new Horoscope or more about Fernando's travels. Stay
      tuned!

      The End. If you have any questions or requests, write:
      interact@...