WOSSNAME -- Main issue -- August 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2012
      August 2012 (Volume 15, Issue 8, Post 2)
      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide
      Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano, L.C. Thomas
      time)

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      03) ODDS AND SODS DEPARTMENT
      04) DODGER NEWS
      05) BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS... AND A CALENDAR
      06) A NEW ANIMATION
      07) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      08) ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      09) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS
      10) EXHIBITION: THE ART OF PAUL KIDBY
      11) REVIEW: DISCWORLD GRAPHIC NOVELS
      12) A PECULIARLY DISCWORLD-Y FANFIC
      13) WHERE THE MULTIVERSES MEET: ANTS, CLACKS TOWERS, AND GLOOPERS
      14) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS
      15) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE
      16) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      17) "CHOOSING TO DIE" UP FOR ANOTHER GONG
      18) PLASTIC FANTASTIC: DISCWORLD DIORAMAS
      19) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS
      20 CLOSE

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "I like to play with words. It's fun and it's my job."
      – Terry Pratchett

      "Do people really not realise that in writing the Long Earth, Terry
      and Stephen have opened up a complete new genre of 'fantasy'
      literature? There are so many 'hooks' here for them (and others) to
      do follow-ups! Yes, we want to know what happens with both Lobsangs,
      with Joshua and Sally, but we now have 4+ million earths waiting for
      historical records, families (eg the Greens) crying out for a family
      story, the Gap and the Long Mars (and Long Venus?), and what about
      the Long Moon? Not to mention the complete story of Happy Valley,
      and the post atomic Datum Earth. Which do you want first?"

      – Pratchett (and science fiction) fan Mike Lacey

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      This month's main post comes rather later than originally intended,
      owing to Hex issues at the WOSSNAME offices (otherwise known as my
      dining room). But most of a week, and a visit from a nice friendly
      electrician to instal a new circuit to keep power outages from
      wrecking the domestic harmony of our family Hexes, here it is...

      If you haven't seen Professor Sir Pterry's excellent Dodger-centric
      Q&A session at Trinity College Dublin's famous library, all four
      parts of it are available on YouTube. Go watch and you will learn
      all manner of fascinating stuff!

      Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr__fQHkZaw

      Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pwhL4yAptk

      Part 3: http://tinyurl.com/bupc7kw

      Part 4: http://tinyurl.com/ca844md

      Right, we have all sorts of news and such this issue! On with the
      show...

      – Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) ODDS AND SODS DEPARTMENT

      Like it says on the tin...

      3.1 A VERY SPECIAL CITY WATCH

      An image so marvellous it deserves to be up here rather than down in
      Images of the Month: the Watch as you've never seen them before!
      Complete with Piecemaker, explanatory pamphlets and many other
      familiar accoutrements! Here are Vimes, Carrot, Angua, Colon and
      Nobby, Cheery, Constable Visit, Reg Shoe, Detritus and Dorfl in a
      portrait you will never forget...

      http://tinyurl.com/dyw6rwq

      [Also see item 18, below – Ed.]

      3.2 IT'S NOT WEATHERWAX SEASON YET

      The other day, Pterry was asked "When will we see Granny Weatherwax
      again?", and his answer was "Not in the next book. I have so many
      Discworld characters. My characters are sitting in the green room I
      pull them out when they have a job to do. There has to be a reason."

      Fans responded with many comments, requests and observations. here
      be a selection of interesting ones online:

      Shelley Marie:
      A reason? Nah! Granny Weatherwax doesn't wait for reason; she sticks
      her nose in anything she damn well pleases, thank-you-very-much!

      Kathy Stattel:
      Can you publish a book like 'All I need to know I learned from
      Granny'?

      Barbara Blomeier:
      Seen with the eyes of a midwife as I am, Granny is simply the best!
      I would really really love to have her leading our fight for better
      payment and against dying of our profession in Germany!! Terry,
      can't you make her help us?

      Julia Zeigler:
      I'll take anything I can get, thanks :)

      Dana Wolff:
      But but but but but, I miss Granny Weatherwax. Write faster!

      Debbie Smith:
      Your characters are our friends. We get to missing them! Thanks for
      all your hard work!!

      Tanya Southern:
      Look at what is happening in rural africa. Innocent people are being
      murdered in the name of witch craft. And these poor souls aren't
      even witches. As a fellow pagan, it breaks my heart. If only Granny
      could come and sort them out and show them what REAL witch craft is:
      headology.

      Carol Williamson:
      Ooook. What happens when Granny meets the Librarian? That's a scene
      I'd love to read!

      Colin Oliver:
      Granny meets Vimes would love to see!

      ...and my favourite, from Sarah Niven:
      I can imagine her in the green room, trying in vain to keep Nanny
      Ogg away from the complementary [sic] hooch!

      3.3 REVIEW: LORDS AND LADIES AUDIOBOOK

      A short online review by Jonatan Rullman:

      "I am relistening to Nigel Planers excellent rendition of Lords and
      Ladies and everytime I do it strikes me how excellent the dialog is
      in this book. It's not cheerful or slightly on the simple side like
      many of the other books in the Discworld series. It is dark, it is
      gritty, and I love every word of it. I really suggest everyone takes
      a look at this audio book, even if you've read the book a thousand
      times and don't usually listen to audio books. Planer truly does a
      masterly job of capturing it."

      3.4 ABOUT THAT CRAB BUCKET

      Here's something one doesn't see every day – Pterry referenced in
      an op-ed piece about football. On a gambling website, no less:

      "My favourite author growing up (and still) was Terry Pratchett, the
      most brilliant and coruscating genius of modern English fiction, and
      in one of his books (on football, remarkably) the phrase 'crab-
      bucket' turns up several times. It basically means that you can
      keep crabs in a bucket with no lid, as if one should happen to climb
      out the rest will pull it back, and when applied to humans relates
      to the negative attitude some sections can have toward
      achievement..."

      http://www.bet123.net/wp/football/3517/ferdinands-folly

      3.5 SIR PTERRY'S "GRANDDAUGHTER"

      Well, in a manner of speaking. Here's the latest addition to the
      Pratchett Dynasty – Rhianna Pratchett's new kitten, a beautiful
      Ragdoll called Magrat (also known as You). As the "aunt" of
      magnificently weird Ragdoll boy-cat "The Real Snoop Lion", your
      Editor thoroughly approves:

      https://p.twimg.com/ArWVDbbCEAAe8fM.jpg

      3.6 ICONOGRAPHS OF NOTE

      Finally, have a lovely iconograph of Pterry and a fan at DWcon 2012.
      "Will You Sign My Chem, Sir?"

      http://tinyurl.com/cgwk6g3

      ...and last but certainly not least, one of a very happy wordsmith
      leaning on a very special street sign!

      http://tinyurl.com/9h6z3vl

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) DODGER NEWS

      4.1 THE LIVE-ACTION TALK!

      There are still some tickets left for Pterry's 17th September talk
      at Ely Cathedral. Tickets are only £10 for adults and £5 for
      children; what's more, the ticket price is redeemable against the
      purchase of a copy of Dodger:

      "We are delighted to announce that best-selling author Sir Terry
      Pratchett will be coming to Ely to celebrate the publication of
      Dodger, his new novel. This is a rare opportunity to hear Sir Terry
      talking about Dodger, a tale of skulduggery and dark deeds set in
      London, in the magical atmosphere of Ely Cathedral. There will be a
      very strictly limited opportunity for 100 ticket holders (chosen at
      the event) to meet Sir Terry on the night; for everyone else, copies
      of Dodger marked with a stamp designed uniquely for this event will
      be available, allowing everyone the chance to have a copy linked to
      this landmark evening."

      The doors open at 6.45pm for this event, with a 7.30pm start.

      http://tinyurl.com/972f8dj

      4.2 THE LIVE-ACTION TRAILER!

      First of its kind... a bit too clean-looking and saccharine for the
      subject matter perhaps, but I have to say that Dodger himself is
      quite well-cast:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRgiZeekrpM

      4.3 THE SIGNED PRE-ORDER COPIES!

      Lynsey of Transworld writes:

      Signed copies of Dodger are now available for pre-order! These are
      really limited in number so it's a first come, first served basis as
      it were ;)

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/books/

      4.4 THE AUCTION!

      A UK uncorrected bound proof & UK First Edition/First Printing
      Hardback of Dodger, signed by the author, was offered at auction
      this month on eBay, to raise funds for the RICE Centre (the Research
      Institute for the Care of Older People) in Bath. The bidding ended
      on 19th August, and the winning bid was for £1,241.26.

      The original auction page:

      "A unique opportunity to own a signed UK bound proof and signed UK
      first edition hardback of Dodger ahead of publication on 13th
      September 2012. Both books have been hand signed by Terry Pratchett
      and are in immaculate unread condition. Authenticated with the
      official Pratchett stamp, security hologram and Terry's coat of
      arms."

      http://tinyurl.com/d3v7q8h

      RICE's website:

      http://rice.org.uk/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS... A BUMPER CROP TO RE-ORDER

      In addition to Dodger and The World of Poo, there are several more
      new and pre-orderable Pratchett and Discworld releases in the coming
      weeks. First up is the all-singing, all dancing – all right, all
      updated – Discworld Companion, which this time goes under a simply
      irresistible pune of a title...

      Turtle Recall

      Pre-order price £12.80, release date 8th November 2012

      "For safety's sake, you need a guide to lead you through the
      highways and byways of this extraordinary world - how else will you
      find out where to get the best curry in Ankh-Morpork**, or if the
      rumours about XXXX, the lost continent, are true?*** * There were
      once five. ** Klatchian Curry Gardens, corner of God Street & Blood
      Alley. PS Don't use the kitchen entrance. *** They are."

      (the most updated Discworld Companion yet, right up through Snuff)

      http://tinyurl.com/co2qj7f

      ...and then there is – for the many who never got their hands on
      their own copy of Once More* with Footnotes – a comprehensive
      anthology of Pratchett bits and pieces...

      A Blink of the Screen

      Pre-order price £10.80, release date 11th October 2012

      "In the four decades since his first book appeared in print, Terry
      Pratchett has become one of the world's best-selling and best-loved
      authors. Here for the first time are his short stories and other
      short form fiction collected into one volume. A Blink of the Screen
      charts the course of Pratchett's long writing career: from his
      schooldays through to his first writing job on the Bucks Free Press,
      and the origins of his debut novel, The Carpet People; and on again
      to the dizzy mastery of the phenomenally successful Discworld
      series. Here are characters both familiar and yet to be discovered;
      abandoned worlds and others still expanding; adventure, chickens,
      death, disco and, actually, some quite disturbing ideas about
      Christmas,all of it shot through with his inimitable brand of
      humour. With an introduction by Booker Prize-winning author A.S.
      Byatt, illustrations by the late Josh Kirby and drawings by the
      author himself, this is a book to treasure."

      http://tinyurl.com/ck5cknd

      ...and next, a new Mapp(e) of our favourite Discly metropolis, in
      familiar form but with a host of marvellous illustrations and
      advertisements...

      The Compleat Ankh-Morpork

      Pre-order price £11.99, release date 8th November 2012

      "Our city has grown well beyond its ancient walls, but the remit of
      this commission from the honourable Guild of Merchants was to 'map
      the city', the pulsing organ of commerce and culture, the heart as
      opposed to the body, and this we have done. In spades. We ask that
      when you pore over this glorious work you spare some thought for the
      humble cartographers and surveyors who made journeys into the darker
      corners of our metropolis – no less dangerous than the wilds of
      Skund or Bhangbhangduc. To some the only memorial is the map you now
      possess. Others, in their quest for knowledge, paid the highest
      price that scholarship demands, which is to say, a day off in
      lieu..."

      http://tinyurl.com/czrub52

      ...and just released this month, the deluxe 2013 calendar...

      Terry Pratchett's Discworld Collectors' Edition Calendar 2013

      Price £9.10

      http://tinyurl.com/cxpjfw2

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      06) TCD AND PRATCHETT ANIMATED FILM COLLABORATION

      Hannah Ryan in leading Irish student newspaper The University Times:

      "Part-time Trinity lecturer and world-famous author Sir Terry
      Pratchett is working on a new project which will see the Old Library
      and other parts of Trinity College animated on-screen. The film,
      entitled 'The Duel', will be produced by The Animation Hub, a
      collaboration of staff and students of Trinity's Creative Arts,
      Technology and Culture initiative and Ballyfermot College, and
      animation studio Giant Creative. It is funded by the Irish Film
      Board and will premiere in early 2013 as part of the Tercentenary
      Celebrations of the Old Library.

      "The film is set in the Unseen University of Pratchett's Discworld
      series and will centre on a duel between two wizards. Pratchett, who
      lectures part-time in postgraduate English at Trinity, came up with
      the story and will be writing the script... Pratchett said '"The
      Duel" is something new from something old – "Discworld" is being
      borrowed by our students in the Animation Hub to produce a wholly
      new adventure-where some familiar elements from our world will
      appear, but not quite as we know them. It's wonderful to see this
      type of project supported and made real – and we intend to have a
      lot of fun while we're at it'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/9awhpby

      Ken Sweeney in the Irish Independent:

      The short film, which centres around a duel between two wizards,
      received a huge publicity boost this week when Pratchett tweeted
      about it to his 63,000 followers on Twitter... Pratchett's close
      relationship with Trinity College began in December 2008 when he was
      conferred with an honorary degree. Since then the relationship has
      deepened, with Colin Smythe, Pratchett's literary agent, donating a
      complete back catalogue of the writer's published translations to
      the college library in 2009. Along with using Trinity as a setting,
      the project will give students from the university and Ballyfermot
      College the opportunity to work on the animated film penned by the
      writer best known for his popular and long-running Discworld series
      of comic fantasy novels..."

      http://tinyurl.com/bwjnqnb

      ...and for a first look at the actual look of it, courtesy of
      Pterry's ptweets:

      http://tinyurl.com/bmy69o8

      ...and plenty of it this month!

      7.1 AUDITIONS FOR GOOD OMENS LIVE

      Auditions for Cult Classic Theatre's exclusive 2013 stage production
      of Good Omens will take place in September. Come angels, come
      demons, come witchfinders, come one and all and see if there's a
      part for you!

      When: September 25th and 26th
      Venue: Langside College, 50 Prospecthill Road, Glasgow G42 9LB
      (tel. 0141 272 3600)
      Time: 7pm

      The show will take place at next march at Cottiers Theatre. Director
      Amy Hoff says, "The script is finished and we are ready to go!"

      The audition listing on Facebook:

      https://www.facebook.com/events/275821469181152/

      ...and do visit Cult Classic Theatre's website for more info:

      www.cultclassic.org.

      7.2 MORT THE MUSICAL IN KINGSTON

      Youth Music Theatre UK will be putting on their production of Mort
      the Musical, adapted by Jenifer Toksvig (book and lyrics) and
      Dominic Haslam (music), in August.

      When: August 29th to September 1st 2012
      Venue: Rose Theatre Kingston, 24-26 High St, Kingston, Surrey KT1
      1HL (telephone 0871 230 1552)
      Time: Wed. – Sat. 7.30pm (Thursday and Saturday matinees 2.30pm)
      Tickets: Band A £25, Band B £20, Band C £17.50, Band D £15, Pit
      Cushions £8

      For more information, and to buy tickets, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/78zpz6s

      or ring 08444 821556

      www.rosetheatrekingston.org

      7.3 REAPER MAN IN ADELAIDE

      Unseen Theatre are back with brand-new Discworld action! Reaper Man,
      directed by Pamela Munt and David Dyte and featuring Hugh O'Connor
      as DEATH, Pamela Munt as Miss Flitworth, Leighton James as Windle
      Poons, Paul Messenger as Archchancellor Ridcully and Samm Blackmore
      as Footnote, takes to the Bakehouse Theatre stage next month.
      "Supported by a cast and crew of thousands!" Not to be missed!

      When: 14th-29th September 2012 (preview night is Friday 14th
      September, opening night is Saturday 15th September, and then the
      season continues on Wednesday 19th, Thursday 20th, Friday 21st,
      Saturday 22nd, Wednesday 26th, Thursday 27th, Friday 28th and
      Saturday 29th)
      Venue: Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide SA 5000 (Tel:
      (08) 8227 0505)
      Time: 8pm all shows
      Tickets: Adults $20/Concession $17/Fringe Benefits $16/ Groups (of
      10+) $16 (Preview – all tix $15)
      BOOKINGS: www.bakehousetheatre.com, or cash at the door on the night
      (subject to availability)

      http://www.unseen.com.au/
      http://www.bakehousetheatre.com/shows/2012/reaper-man

      7.4 CARPE JUGULUM IN NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE

      "Terry Pratchett's world famous witches are back! Following on from
      our successful productions of Wyrd Sisters and Maskerade, The
      People's Theatre, in collaboration with Young People's Theatre, are
      proud to present Carpe Jugulum (Latin: 'seize the throat') following
      the lives of Lancrastrians Nanny Ogg, Magret, Agnes Nitt and Granny
      Weatherwax as they defend the kingdom from the undead."

      When: 18th September–22nd September 2012
      Venue: The People's Theatre, Stephenson Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne.
      NE6 5QF (Telephone: 0191 265 5020)
      Time: 7.30pm all shows (show ends at 10pm every night)
      Tickets: £11.00 (£9.00 concessions). To book online, go to:
      http://www.intelligent-tickets.com/index.php?th=pe

      http://tinyurl.com/8fvbtml
      http://tyneandwear.sky.com/home/event/28160

      7.5 GUARDS! GUARDS! IN MINNESOTA

      The Historic Mounds Theatre continue to present Pratchett plays,
      hurrah! After May's production of Amazing Maurice, next up is
      Guards! Guards! in September.

      When: September 7th-23rd, Fridays through Sundays
      Venue: The Historic Mounds Theatre, 1029 Hudson Road, Saint Paul MN
      55106
      Time: 7.30pm
      Tickets: Adults $15.00, students/Senior $10.00, children $6.00

      http://www.moundstheatre.org/

      7.6 THE LAST HERO IN BRISBANE

      The Brisbane Arts Theatre will present the Australian premiere of
      The Last Hero, adapted by Ian Rennie, in September.

      "Cohen the Barbarian and his Silver Horde may well be over pension
      age, but that won't stop them being Heroes. They're heading to the
      home of the Gods, to give back what the first Hero stole - fire.
      The genius inventor Leonard of Quirm and steadfast watchman Captain
      Carrot are on their way to stop them blowing up the Discworld.
      They're certain to succeed - except that they've brought the wizard
      Rincewind with them...

      "The BAT's popular Discworld series continues with this premiere
      adaption of one of Sir Terry Pratchett's most popular stories. All
      performance royalties will be donated to The Orangutan Project &
      Gill's Old Bastards, with special Sunday Matinee performances to
      support these two charities."

      When: 15th September - 13th October 2012, with special charity
      matinees on Sunday 23rd September and Sunday 7th October at 2pm
      Venue: Brisbane Arts Theatre, 210 Petrie Terrace, Brisbane,
      Queensland, Australia
      Time: 8pm (charity matinees at 2pm)
      Tickets: AU$20-$37. To buy online, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/ch359jg

      http://www.artstheatre.com.au/

      7.7 WYRD SISTERS IN LANCASHIRE

      St Joseph's Players, a Lancastrian (not Lancrastian!) company, will
      present Wyrd Sisters as their play for September.

      When: 11th-15th September 2012
      Venue: St. Joseph's Players, Chapel Street, Leigh, Lancs WN7 2PR
      (near the police station in Leigh town centre)
      Time: 7.30pm
      Tickets: Tickets £7.00, Children under 16 £4.00
      To order tickets, email p.galloway@...

      http://tinyurl.com/c6dhsbz

      7.8 WYRD SISTERS IN MELBOURNE

      Monash University Shakespeare will present their production of Wyrd
      Sisters, directed by Jem Splitter, in the MUST Space, Monash
      University, in September.

      When: 6th-15th September 2012
      Venue: Monash Uni Student Theatre Grnd Flr, Western End, Campus
      Centre (BLG 10) Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
      Time: unknown
      Tickets: possibly $11 MSA Card/$13 Concession/$17 Full (unconfirmed)
      For more information, try emailing wyrdsisters2012@... or
      ringing 0438 001 664

      7.9 CARPE JUGULUM IN BEDFORD, ENGLAND

      The Country Players will present their production of Carpe Jugulum
      in September.

      When: 12th-15th September 2012
      Venue: The Place Theatre, Bradgate Road, Bedford
      Time: 7.30pm
      Tickets: £8.50 with (concession price £7.50). For the Wednesday
      performance only, tickets are £7.50 (concession £6.50), available
      from the Central Box Office in Harpur Street, Bedford (phone
      01234-269519) or can be ordered online at:

      http://tinyurl.com/8byt47d

      For more information:

      http://www.countryplayers.org.uk//CP/Home.html
      http://www.theplacebedford.org.uk

      7.10 WYRD SISTERS IN STAFFORDSHIRE

      Tower Players present their production of Wyrd Sisters in October.

      When: 19th and 20th October 2012
      Venue: The Rose Theatre, Rugeley, Staffs
      Time: 7:30pm (doors open at 7pm)
      Tickets: Adults £7, Concessions £6
      Box Office 01889 584306
      Enquiries : towerplayers@...

      For more info, and to purchase tickets online, go to:
      http://www.towerplayers.co.uk/tptickets.html

      http://www.towerplayers.co.uk/index.html

      7.11 GUARDS! GUARDS! IN EMERALD, VICTORIA (FOURECKS)

      That's the charming little town of Emerald in Victoria, not the
      considerably less charming one in Queensland... Director Evie
      Housham and Assistant Director Ysabelle Dean (good Discworld-y name,
      that) will direct the Gemco Players in Guards! Guards! from the 9th
      to the 24th of November 2012.

      When: Friday 9th–Sunday 11th November, Friday 16th–Sunday 18th
      November, and Friday 23rd and Saturday 24th November
      Venue: Gem Community Arts Centre, 19 Kilvington Drive Emerald VIC
      3782 (Melway reference 127 E5)
      Times: 8pm for all Friday and Saturday shows. The Sunday
      performances (11th and 18th) are at 2.30pm
      Tickets: ring 0411 723 530 for bookings

      For further information, email (gemcoplayers@...) or enquire
      via snail mail:

      Gemco Players
      PO Box 480,
      Emerald,
      VIC, 3782

      http://www.gemcoplayers.org/guards-guards

      "Gemco is a community theatre group, which began over 30 years ago
      in Emerald. Over that time Gemco has performed to over 45,000 people
      using some 3,600 people on or offstage. Gemco has had over 1900
      young people involved in its Youth/Children's programs. All
      leaders and committee give their time voluntarily. Gemco has raised
      over $20,000 for groups within the community and beyond. Over 70% of
      material is Australian with much of it locally written. Gemco is
      incorporated i.e. a not for profit organisation. The youth theatre
      has grown in the last 9 years from 15 young people, to 60 young
      people attending per week and a waiting list."

      http://www.gemcoplayers.org/history/

      7.12 REVIEW: WYRD SISTERS IN CANBERRA

      Reviewed by Helen Musa

      "In 'Wyrd Sisters,' chosen by director Kerrie Roberts for its
      terrific female roles, the language is rich with puns, literary
      allusions to Shakespeare (especially The Scottish Play) and the
      Brothers Grimm, as well as argument about the primacy of language as
      the means to power, all wrapped up in an epic tale where three rural
      English witches overcome the forces of evil. This is an ambitious
      production for Roberts, enhanced with magic tricks, echoing voices
      and projected screen animation. Supported by a solid network of
      designers, backstage workers, it features a substantial cast which,
      in spite of the fact that it is a TAC Women's Theatre Forum
      production, boasts slightly more men than women... But in an arch,
      self- knowing script like Pratchett's, comic timing is of the
      essence and alas, with the possible exception of Jonathan Sharp
      playing the Fool, none of the cast nails it. The opening night was
      full of long pauses, missed gags and throwaway lines and shuffling
      sounds in the dark during the many unnecessary blackouts for scene
      changes..."

      http://tinyurl.com/92kpc5x

      It should be noted that the cast also did a surprisingly musical
      rendition of a certain song about hedgehogs:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUnkBX8Db80

      7.13 LORDS AND LADIES RAISES A LORDLY SUM

      "Theatre lovers in Somerset dug deep into their pockets to donate
      more than £290 to the Alzheimer's Society after enjoying
      performances of the Taunton Thespians' recent summer show. The
      outdoor touring production was a brand new adaptation of Sir Terry
      Pratchett's Lords and Ladies performed at beautiful outdoor venues
      across Somerset... Mark Dawson, chairman of Taunton Thespians,
      said: 'When Sir Terry very sportingly gave the Thespians permission
      to adapt one of his novels for our summer show, we wanted to find a
      way to say thanks. Since his diagnosis with Alzheimer's disease
      several years ago, Sir Terry has done so much to raise awareness
      about the disease. We decided to ask our audiences at the end of
      each performance to make a donation to the Alzheimer's Society.
      People were very generous and I was thrilled to be able to pass the
      takings onto the Alzheimer's Society towards their excellent
      work.'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/9x3sf5d

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      In This Is Wiltshire, a piece about the son of another
      Alzheimer's-afflicted British pop culture icon going fundraising for
      research:

      "Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson, who dreamt up the scripts for
      the science fiction movies and films, cannot nowadays tell the
      difference between his phone and TV remote control as his life is
      taken over by Alzheimer's. Now his son Jamie Anderson, who lives in
      Gloucestershire, will take part in three walking marathons –
      including one in Wiltshire – in aid of the Alzheimer's Society.
      Gerry Anderson, 83, who lives in Henley, is the latest celebrity to
      join the fight against dementia, following the lead of former West
      Country journalist Terry Pratchett, the author of the Discworld
      series of books. His son will take part in three marathon Memory
      Walks over three consecutive weekends organised by the Alzheimer's
      Society, in Northern Ireland on September 1, Northumberland on
      September 8 and at Stonehenge on September 16 – a total of 78
      miles... Anderson, 27, said: 'I'd noticed changes in my Dad, for
      instance on many occasions I saw him struggle to distinguish between
      the phone and the TV remote control. He decided to speak out about
      his dementia to help raise awareness and to show that it can happen
      to anyone.. I support the Memory Walk because I have seen first hand
      how dementia affects both the individual and their family. I urge
      everyone to join me and sign up with their family and friends for
      these challenging events.'

      "Adrian Williams, community fundraiser for Alzheimer's Trust, said:
      'It's fantastic that Jamie has decided to take part in all three
      memory walks. These walks are an excellent opportunity for people to
      walk together with the common goal of fighting dementia.'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/8wvzjvu

      In the Daily Mail, an article about rates of decline in different
      age groups of Alzheimer's sufferers:

      "A team from the University of California said the 'younger elderly'
      showed faster rates of brain tissue loss and cognitive decline than
      Alzheimer patients who were over 80 years old. The findings have
      profound implications for both diagnosing the degenerative condition
      and efforts to find new treatments... Study author Dr Dominic
      Holland, said: 'One of the key features for the clinical
      determination of AD is its relentless progressive course. Patients
      typically show marked deterioration year after year. If older
      patients are not showing the same deterioration from one year to the
      next, doctors may be hesitant to diagnose AD, and thus these
      patients may not receive appropriate care, which can be very
      important for their quality of life.' The team used imaging and
      biomarker data from 723 who participated in the Alzheimer's Disease
      Neuroimaging Initiative... Co-author Dr Linda McEvoy said it's not
      clear why AD is more aggressive among younger elderly. 'It may be
      that patients who show onset of dementia at an older age, and are
      declining slowly, have been declining at that rate for a long time.
      But because of cognitive reserve or other still-unknown factors that
      provide 'resistance' against brain damage, clinical symptoms do not
      manifest till later age.' Another possibility, according to Dr
      Holland, is that older patients may be suffering from mixed dementia
      – a combination of AD pathology and other neurological
      conditions..."

      The study is published online at PLoS ONE on 2nd August.

      http://tinyurl.com/dxczn5a

      In Science Daily, a report on progress towards developing a simple
      blood test for Alzheimer's:

      "In a study to be published in the August 28 issue of the journal
      Neurology, scientists have taken a step toward developing a blood
      test for Alzheimer's, finding a group of markers that hold up in
      statistical analyses in three independent groups of patients.
      'Reliability and failure to replicate initial results have been the
      biggest challenge in this field,' says lead author William Hu, MD,
      PhD, assistant professor of neurology at Emory University School of
      Medicine. 'We demonstrate here that it is possible to show
      consistent findings.'... 'Though a blood test to identify underlying
      Alzheimer's disease is not quite ready for prime time given today's
      technology, we now have identified ways to make sure that a test
      will be reliable,' says Hu. 'In the meantime, the combination of a
      clinical exam and cerebrospinal fluid analysis remains the best tool
      for diagnosis in someone with mild memory or cognitive
      troubles.'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/9xpu6bo

      Canadian op-ed blogger Fat Louis gives a succinct, well-phrased
      overview of Terry Pratchett's campaign to legalise assisted dying:

      "He's squarely faced up to the dark end promised by his Alzheimer's
      diagnosis and decided he wouldn't go out like that. Instead he's
      decided to die in his own way, in his own time. Which lead to his
      becoming the most famous proponent of legalizing assisted suicide
      — or as he prefers, 'assisted death' — in all of Great Britain.
      And that position has won him surprising amount of enemies... The
      thought of being a burden to family and friends; helpless, unaware,
      and unable to communicate, terrifies. It terrifies most of us so
      much in fact that we are unwilling to even consider the possibility.
      Mr. Pratchett however is made of sterner stuff. He's accepted the
      fact of his own end — a long, painful, and humiliating end —
      and, what's more, he's given thought to how to handle it: by dying
      in his own time and on his own terms. His admission has lead to the
      inevitable backlash (religious groups seem especially offended by
      the idea of wilfully ending life early), but rather than argue
      Pterry has simply said, 'Let's talk about this like adults.'... Most
      of us only hope we face our own eventual declines with the courage
      shown by this man. But, for those who refuse to bury their head in
      the sand, there are things to be done: becoming an organ donor is a
      good start. Writing out a living will to guide others in our care
      when we are no longer able is also probably smart. Until then we
      Canadians can only wait and see..."

      http://tinyurl.com/8jqk9j4

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      09) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS

      9.1 AUSDWCON UPDATES

      Damian of Nullus writes:

      Wotcha!

      Nullus Anxietas IV is the National Australian Discworld convention,
      held in Melbourne over the Labour Day weekend (8-10 March, 2013) at
      Bell Rydges in Preston.

      We're selling tickets for the con, and at the moment, while we're
      still setting up, we have a special Early Bird price. At the start
      of September, we're upping the price by $30. Then, there will be no
      early birds. Just birds. And of course, if you buy your supporting
      membership now (only $30) you can upgrade later at the early bird
      price (and that's cutting my own throat!).

      Go to http://ausdwcon.org/ to buy tickets and find out what will be
      happening. Follow @nullusanxietas4 to keep up with the news and say
      hello. We are looking forward to seeing and chatting with you!

      Now for some more very useful information:

      Firstly, registrations and accommodation are both open for Nullus
      Anxietas IV, March 8-10 2013. To find out about accommodation, go
      to:

      http://ausdwcon.org/pages/accommodation

      To claim your spot at the convention:

      http://tinyurl.com/bpc9nh8

      Nullus has regular updates on Facebook:

      https://www.facebook.com/NullusAnxietasIV

      ...and on G+ at:

      http://tinyurl.com/d9ntq6v (search for Nullus Anxietas IV)

      We even dip our fingers in the Twittersphere (@nullusanxietas4) and
      on Pinterest (I have nothing better to do with my life):

      http://pinterest.com/nullusanxietas/

      9.2 NADWCON 2013 UPDATES

      News along the way as we head for next year's NADWcon (5th-8th July
      2013 at the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront Hotel, Baltimore,
      Maryland)... guests will include Bernard Pearson (along with Reb
      Voyce and Ian Mitchell, see below), Stephen Baxter, Esther Friesner,
      and who knows...

      "A special announcement for the 8/8, NADWCon 2013 are very pleased
      to announce the Discworld Emporium team have agreed to be our
      guests. At the helm of the Emporium is a small yet perfectly formed
      team comprising Bernard 'The Cunning Artificer' Pearson, Isobel
      Pearson, Ian Mitchell and Reb Voyce. Everything they make is Terry
      Pratchett approved and created with due care and attention to
      detail. Bernard, Ian & Reb were delighted to accept our invitation.
      The lovely Isobel will however be staying behind to look after the
      cats, the shop and the business, all the while keeping the home
      fires burning.

      "The Emporium have been bringing Discworld to life for over twenty
      years, and during that time have created a range of figurines and a
      collection of limited edition sculptures known as The Unreal Estate
      including the Unseen University, Guild buildings, Thunderer Printing
      Press, and 'Bloody Stupid' Johnson's Mighty Organ. They have also
      collaborated on everything from film props to giveaway items for
      limited edition hardback books and film adaptation DVDs. The team
      are currently working with Terry to create a brand new Ankh-Morpork
      City Map, with more projects in the pipeline..."

      http://www.nadwcon.org/18-home-news/63-guest-announcement-tde

      Sign up to get the party started:

      http://www.nadwcon.org/signup/membership

      9.3 SADWCON NEWS

      It's Feegle time!!! SADWCon 2012 Event Day: The Feegles Have Landed

      Nac Mac Feegle wha hae! We are celebrating the arrival of the
      Feegles in South Africa. It will be a day of 'lovely sunshine, good
      huntin', nice pretty flowers, and wee burdies goin' cheep!'. Well,
      those are all actually optional extras, but these are definites:

      Stand a chance to win a proof copy of The Long Earth
      Practice your creative side in a Bloody-Stupid-Johnson Workshop
      Test your knowledge at the Discworld pub quiz
      Participate in the auction and take home some wonderful books and
      goodies
      Gussy up and enter the Masquerade to win prizes
      Take part in an interactive Radio Play
      Watch a Discworld film
      Get up to crazy hijinks with other Discworld fans
      There will only be 150 tickets for sale, so hurry to get yours!

      Date: 24th November 2012
      Time: Registration at 10 am for Opening at 11 am
      Venue: To be announced
      Ticket Price: Adult R150.00 – includes lunch, Children (under 13)
      R80.00 – includes lunch

      http://sadwcon.org

      9.4 CABBAGECON (DUTCH DW CON) NEWS

      "Between 24 and 26 May 2013 the second Dutch Discworld Convention
      Cabbagecon 2 will happen at the NH Hotel Zandvoort in Zandvoort aan
      Zee. It will be a happy occasion for fans of Sir Terry Pratchett
      from the Netherlands and abroad to meet each other and have fun. We
      hope to see you too!"

      Attending fees for the Second Dutch Discworld Convention: valid till

      Adults
      For the weekend €40.00
      Day tickets €25.00

      Concessions, students and children born after 26 May 1995
      For the weekend €35.00
      Day tickets €20.00

      Children born after 26 May 2008 free only when accompanied by a
      paying adult

      ATTENTION: REGISTRATION IS ONLY POSSIBLE FOR REGISTERED USERS AND
      VALID AFTER RECEIPT OF PAYMENT

      Badge names: names longer than 20 characters are not allowed. Longer
      names will be cut off. If you book for two or more people you may
      enter multiple badge names. If you want to change your name, please
      send a mail with your old and new name to info@.... You
      will receive a confirmation mail after the change has been made.

      To register, and for more information, consult various menus on this
      page:

      http://dutchdwcon.nl/?language=en

      And here is an image of their delightful logo. If the cabbage won't
      come to the tortoise, the tortoise will go to the cabbage:

      http://dutchdwcon.nl/sites/all/themes/cabbagecon/logo.png

      9.5 DWCON NEWS

      Stay tuned for an exclusive DWCon 2012 report from roving WOSSNAME
      reported Asti. meanwhile, here be some iconographs of the weekend!

      An Auditor trap:
      http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9b21zXSw31rolpy3o1_1280.jpg

      Pterry and Rob in conversation:
      http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9b1xsV1mE1rolpy3o1_500.jpg

      An interesting parking notice:
      http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m99og7dFID1rolpy3o1_500.jpg

      ...and a whole raft of convention photos:

      http://tinyurl.com/co9pyd5

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) DISCWORLD AND BEYOND: THE ART OF PAUL KIDBY

      "Paul Kidby is best known as the illustrator for Terry Pratchett's
      Discworld books. He started his artistic career in freelance
      illustration before committing himself to work full-time on
      Discworld in 1995. Today Paul balances his output between Pratchett
      and his own projects and lives and works in the north of the New
      Forest. This exhibition showcases the wonderful book covers and
      illustrations for Pratchett's novels including favourite characters
      like Rincewind, the Wee Free Men and of course Death. It also
      reveals Paul's own projects influenced by British folklore and
      landscapes..."

      When: 18th August through 29th September 2012
      Venue: St. Barbe Museum & Art Gallery, New Street, Lymington,
      Hampshire, SO41 9BH (phone 01590 676969)
      Times: Mondays to Saturdays, 10.00am to 4.00pm
      Tickets: adult admission price (to the museum and exhibitions)
      £4.00, concessions (senior citizens, students, unemployed, Museum
      Association members) £3.00, children under 16 £2.00, Children
      under 5 free, family ticket (2 adults and up to 4 children) £10.00

      http://www.stbarbe-museum.org.uk/exhibitions/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) REVIEW: tCoM|tLF GRAPHIC NOVEL

      Originally published in 2008 by Harper, a subsidiary of
      HarperCollins, The Discworld Graphic Novels – an omnibus of The
      Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic – is a curious project-by-
      committee that ultimately succeeds despite some odd quirks and
      definite flaws.

      The two books were adapted into graphic novel form by Scott
      Rockwell, who edited the TLF portion (David Campiti edited the CoM
      chapters). Artists include Steven Ross, who also created the cover
      illustration; Joe Bennet, artist and colourist for TLF parts III and
      IV; Vickie Williams, who did most of the lettering; Mira Fairchild,
      colourist for TLF part I; and colourist Doug Nishimura who did a
      particularly impressive job in TLF part II (which was lettered by
      Michelle Beck). The visual "feel" of the book reminds me of Antoine
      de Saint-Exupery's illustrations for his novel Le Petit Prince, one
      of my best-beloved childhood books as it happens. There is a
      delicacy and otherworldliness to the art that also brings to mind
      the heyday of Barry Windsor-Smith, who created the remarkable Conan
      the Barbarian visuals for Marvel Comics several decades ago.

      The books follow the original Discworld novels nicely. In fact, it
      could be said that TCoM and TLF come across better in this form than
      they do in the text-only medium. The storylines are fully accessible
      to a first-time reader unfamiliar with Discworld canon.
      Unfortunately, for those of us who *are* familiar with Discworld
      canon, the artists made some decidedly weird choices. Rincewind's
      robe and pointy hat, for instance, are drawn as a knit-brimmed
      watch-cap (with a very short floppy short tail) and an ankle-length
      woolly turtleneck jumper, more the sort of outfit Ponder Stibbons
      might wear than what we're used to having Rincewind described in.
      The Unseen University faculty's hats, though they at least are
      pointy, are brimless and appear to be made of stiffened wide-wale
      corduroy. Cohen is beardless (whut?) and missing his eyepatch
      (*WHUT?!*). These oddities do jar, but the faithfulness of the
      storylines and the high quality of the artwork bring the Discworld
      so much to life that one can (mostly) forgive them. Spelling errors
      are thankfully rare, but risible when they do occur – "guidence",
      "exsistance", and funniest of all, "deft" when it's obvious the
      letterer meant "daft" – but hey, Stan Lee and company have been
      guilty of far more egregious gaffes over the years in that
      department.

      All in all, well worth adding to your Discworld collection.

      12) YES VIRGINIA, IT'S AN AN ACTUAL FANFIC RECOMMENDATION

      Blogger and Pratchett fan Bethbethbeth offers a nicely Oggish
      (Oggesque?) recipe for "Leftover Sandwiches Soup".

      Bethbethbeth says, "This is intended as a real recipe, but please
      use your discretion; I am doubtful that tuna, mayonnaise, and
      sweetcorn soup, for example, would be a taste sensation in a good
      way. The author takes no responsibility for any food poisoning or
      domestic arguments that result"' and here are some samples of text:

      "Witches is known for bein resourceful, and the best food is free
      food. This soup'll put meat on your bones. As I always say, everyone
      needs something to keep them warm at night...and enough good eatin
      too."

      "Feeds 2 hungry witches, or probly bout 3 or 4 ordinry people"

      "Remove leftover sandwiches from your string bag. Take out the
      fillin, and throw away any green bits. Cut the fillin into little
      pieces if it aint already. Set aside half the bread to use later*,
      and chop the remaining bread into small squares. Get your daughter-
      in-law to thinly slice the onion and root vegetables..."

      To view the whole recipe, with trimmins, go to:

      http://disc-fest.livejournal.com/6027.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) WHERE THE MULTIVERSES MEET

      13.1 IT'S THE REAL ANTERNET!

      "Deborah Gordon, a biology professor at Stanford, has been studying
      ants for more than 20 years. When she figured out how the harvester
      ant colonies she had been observing in Arizona decided when to send
      out more ants to get food, she called across campus to Balaji
      Prabhakar, a professor of computer science at Stanford and an expert
      on how files are transferred on a computer network. At first he
      didn't see any overlap between his and Gordon's work, but
      inspiration would soon strike. 'The next day it occurred to me, "Oh
      wait, this is almost the same as how [Internet] protocols discover
      how much bandwidth is available for transferring a file!"'...
      Prabhakar wrote an ant algorithm to predict foraging behavior
      depending on the amount of food – i.e., bandwidth – available.
      Gordon's experiments manipulate the rate of forager return. Working
      with Stanford student Katie Dektar, they found that the TCP-
      influenced algorithm almost exactly matched the ant behavior found
      in Gordon's experiments. 'Ants have discovered an algorithm that we
      know well, and they've been doing it for millions of years,'
      Prabhakar said..."

      http://news.stanford.edu/pr/2012/pr-ants-mimic-internet-082312.html

      13.2 CELL TOWER DEATHS

      Roundworld events and situations that parallel Discworld ones often
      make for amusing reading, but some of them are no laughing matter.
      Of course, young clacksman Dearheart's death was also not at all
      funny...

      "On a clear evening in May, Guilford was dangling, 150 feet in the
      air, from a cell tower in southwest Indiana. He had been sent aloft
      to take pictures of AT&T antennas soon to be replaced by 3G
      equipment. Work complete, Guilford sped his descent by rappelling on
      a rope. Safety standards required him to step down the metal pole,
      peg by peg, using a special line that would catch automatically if
      he fell. But tower climbing is a field in which such rules are
      routinely ignored. 'Bouncy, bouncy,' Guilford, 25, called jovially
      to men on the ground. Then, in an instant, the hook attaching the
      rope to the tower – broken and missing its safety latch – came
      loose..."

      http://tinyurl.com/bpfhj7o

      "We take for granted that our cell phones should get reception. But
      there is a hidden human cost to a strong signal. Across the country,
      workers have been falling to their deaths from cell phone towers. To
      satisfy the ever-increasing demand for smart phones, tower climbers
      install and service cell antennas, a job that requires them to
      ascend hundreds of feet into the air...."

      http://tinyurl.com/cec9mpo

      13.3 A FAMILIAR-LOOKING GLOOPER

      http://tinyurl.com/bvx5mub

      And then there's the airborne version. Would that be the Swooper?

      https://sites.google.com/a/dominican.edu/econo-physics/Home

      And another, definitely a Glooper and known as Moniac:

      http://www.fulltable.com/vts/f/fortune/n/m03.jpg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS

      The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) meets on the first
      Friday of every month at the famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
      Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome! The next WOTS meeting will
      (probably) be on 7th September.

      *

      The next meeting of the Broken Drummers, London's original Discworld
      meeting group, will be from 7pm on 3rd September 2012 at the Monkey
      Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London W2 1JQ.

      For more info, contact BrokenDrummers@...

      http://www.steeljam.co.uk/brokendrummers/

      *

      The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
      Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, have been meeting on a regular
      basis since 2005 but is now looking to take in some new blood
      (presumably not in the non-reformed Uberwald manner). The Flatalists
      normally meet at The Narrowboat Pub in Victoria Street, Skipton, N
      Yorks, to discuss "all things Pratchett" as well as having quizzes
      and raffles.

      Details of future meetings are posted on the Events section of the
      Discworld Stamps forum:

      http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

      *

      The City of Small Gods Terry Pratchett Fan Club meets on the last
      Thursday of the month from 6.30pm at the Ed Castle, 233 Currie St,
      Adelaide (South Australia). Details, discussions and organisation of
      extra events (such as play outings) are held on their email mailing
      list, so do sign up at:

      https://groups.google.com/group/adelaide-discworld-fans

      *

      Drummers Downunder meet on the first Monday of every month in Sydney
      at Maloneys, corner of Pitt & Goulburn Streets, at 6.30pm. For more
      information, contact Sue (aka Granny Weatherwax):

      kenworthys@...

      *

      Perth Drummers meet on the traditional date of first Monday of the
      month, from 6pm at The Vic Hotel, 226 Hay St, Subiaco. For more
      information contact:

      Daniel Hatton at daniel_j_hatton@...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

      Blogger CGriff, serious Shakespeare fan and real-life Education
      Administrative Assistant at the Folger Shakespeare Library in
      Washington, DC, thinks Wyrd Sisters rocks as hard as the Bard:

      "In the same vein of comic writing as Christopher Moore, Pratchett
      uses timing very prudently. And, closer to the climax, introduces a
      plethora of Shakespearean references, that were - quite frankly -
      refreshing after a slog in the bogs of Lancre with the witches. LOVE
      them. REALLY LOVE them... I think even Will himself is in this book,
      in a way. If Discworld is a parallel world - and I don't know it's
      mythology - then Hwel the dwarf poet who is plagued with inspiration
      is our man..."

      http://tinyurl.com/d8jftps

      A Discworld overview and paean to Pterry from blogger Sage Abyss:

      "A lot of our comedy [in America] is based around getting to a joke
      and moving on to the next one. So when you have small one picture
      memes that build of off existing things; well, like it or not that's
      sadly the evolution of comedy, instant punch lines. That's a problem
      with some of the comedic books out there... I've been getting into
      Discworld lately and while I love Color of Magic over the course of
      the books I've noticed something in Terry Pratchett's literary
      narrative aside from the sheer overall improvement in quality.
      Specifically how much balls the man has as his books go on. Don't
      believe me?I just, just finished reading a novel called Witches
      Abroad. It is an entire novel that deals with the idea of a fairy-
      tale ending and why fairy godmothers, who force these endings onto
      people, might be incredibly evil. I know a lot of you are muttering
      Shrek 2 under your breath so I will point out that this book came
      out in 1991 during the height of the Disney Princess era. As In the
      same year as Beauty and The Beast. Now that's balls...

      "After only three books with Granny Weatherwax the sheer thought of
      her given the choice of turning evil is one of those horrible
      outcomes that provides no hope for the universe much like destroying
      the Xbox of a five year old or a tax audit. With a lot of characters
      you look at them and imagine that if they turned evil it'd be a
      manageable thing regardless of how bad it was. For example, if
      Gandalf had picked up the one ring, he'd be evil, but he wouldn't
      outdo Sauron. Granny though, is just one of those characters (like I
      said earlier) that you are glad is on the side of good. Learning the
      reason why and just how lucky the whole universe is that it worked
      out that way only adds to the raw terror of the woman..."

      http://tinyurl.com/d5wfl5e

      Cheryl Mahoney's Pratchett blogposts this month include her review
      of Wyrd Sisters:

      "The witches are in fine form here. This is the first with all
      three of them, but they're already fully-defined... I think this
      would be a great place for someone to start the Discworld series.
      It's independent of earlier ones, introduces major characters, and
      is brilliantly funny. It begins the Witches plotline, which spans
      several books that are more interconnected than most of Discworld.
      It worked out for me, even though I read them in reverse order..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cqgykeg

      ...and her post about all the Discworld telefilms and animations:

      "Books-to-movie adaptations are always a bit chancy, but on the
      whole Discworld seems to have fared well. They've all been TV
      miniseries which allows more screen time, and that usually means a
      more accurate rendition. And Terry Pratchett seems to have been
      heavily involved, which also helps! I don't have quite enough to say
      about any of them for a full review, so let's do a round-up instead.
      The Color of Magic... The most fun, though, was Sean Astin in a role
      not too far from his hobbit character. This is fun, although don't
      expect too much, as it is based on two of the weaker Discworld
      books... Hogfather: If you need a new Christmas movie, this is
      excellent in a weird sort of way.... I particularly love Susan
      (played by Michelle Dockery, Lady Mary on Downton Abbey) and Marc
      Warren as Teatime is wonderfully creepy... Going Postal: This is
      wonderful, though it does diverge farther from the book than most.
      Moist's character is a little simpler (with a more straight-forward
      path from jerk to honorable), and some of the funniest bits are left
      out (including Grout's trip to the hospital, and most parts
      involving the wizards). However, they also play up the romance and
      Miss Dearheart's character in a way that I think works very well,
      and much of the rest of the book is faithfully represented... Wyrd
      Sisters... Don't come looking for brilliant animation – it's
      decent, not terrible, not approaching Pixar or Disney either... Soul
      Music... There's a lot that's fun here, especially the Death of
      Rats! I also enjoy Death and Susan as characters, and they're the
      major focus for much of this..."

      http://tinyurl.com/c9axh5k

      Blogger Pokarlla reviews Carpe Jugulum:

      "It was very humourous (as usual) and Terry Pratchett's take on
      vampires is different, amusing and a little frightening. Look out
      for the Nac mac Feegle (I love them! They're probably why I love
      the Tiffany Aching character arc so much..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cttq243

      Blogger The Janitor, who has never read any Pratchett apart from The
      Long Earth, gives it a rave review:

      "One of the best I've read, in terms of piquing my interest anyway.
      The authors do a good job throwing in the unexpected (in regards to
      the other earths) and also unfolding the expected (such as how
      society might unfold given the discovery of a seemingly endless
      landscape with endless resources). I liked it so much I plan to read
      it to my nephew after we finish Lewis's Space Trilogy (we're
      currently on Perelandra). Many have complained about how this book
      is nothing like Pratchett's previous work in the Discworld series.
      Having never read any of the Discworld books, I can't make a
      comparison. But most of the complaints I read looked unjustified: as
      though they read the book with the expectation of another Discworld
      and then were disappointed to find that it wasn't another Discworld
      book..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ctp684l

      Blogger foodieboomboom throws a happy wobbler over Nanny Ogg's
      Cookbook:

      "Based on the recommendations of a then considered hot boy, this
      token wound it's way to Red Lion Books in merry Colchester, and was
      exchanged for not one but two Terry Pratchett novels... one of my
      favourite things about the Pratchett novels is that despite the
      involvement of dragons, wizards, six foot dwarves and were-police
      ladies- it's is all so recognisable. You can really realate to it.
      Perhaps because the most basic of human features issue in all
      characters and stories (especially the un-human ones) or more likely
      because Discworld is so complete in it's creation - down to the
      cuisines of the various districts of this flattened fictional realm.
      Fans will be all too familiar with the `red hot ice cube'
      consistency of a Klatchian Curry, or the dubious greasiness of some
      of Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler's dodgy street food which is almost
      always served innabun. No great surprise that someone made a cook
      book from it really, and as shameless merchandising goes, it's
      bloody well done. Any Pratchett reader will love the little editor's
      notes and communications with your marvellously naughty author,
      Nanny Ogg. You could happily read this from cover to cover with no
      intention of ever cooking or eating any of it..."

      http://tinyurl.com/c2bby4x

      Blogger Pokis makes a thoughtful review of Snuff:

      "I noticed that unlike his other works, this one was distinctively
      darker. Themes regarding racism, murder and aristocracy were very
      obvious in the storyline. I'm fine with it, though it distinguish
      itself from the other books because of it. It also makes it easier
      to view it as normal novel, instead of the humorous and light books
      Terry Pratchett. I don't mean to say that his book aren't serious by
      that, only to specify the difference between them..."

      http://tinyurl.com/c6gghbr

      ...as does blogger Corinna McGill aka wadingthroughbooks:

      "This latest entry to the Discworld series is as strong as ever
      (no, that's not a poo joke. I'm saving those for when I read The
      World of Poo. No, that's not a joke either; yes, that is a
      warning). The City Watch books are some of my favourite in the
      series, and I always did have a soft spot for Sam Vimes. All he
      wants to do is his job, and they keep making him be all respectable
      and noble and political and not making any bloody sense. No one does
      absurdism like the British, and Pratchett is a master at it..."

      http://tinyurl.com/css67uq

      Another review of Snuff, this one by blogger funkyfacecat:

      "It seems to me that as Pratchett gets older, Vimes's pure blazing
      fury that blasts through shades of grey and lights the darkness in
      people's hearts and deeds burns brighter, although it casts shadows
      of its own. Vimes will not see innocent (or rather no worse than
      human) beings trodden down and exploited; he will not allow anyone,
      regardless of class or wealth, get away with more than he can
      possibly help. This will sometimes comes into conflict with
      Vetinari, with the rest of the world, but here Vimes's family
      provides much-needed comfort to him (and us?) amid the bleakness of
      his (and our) world, while the battle of interests provides great
      food for thought on morality and ethics and how not to treat
      sentient beings like things... The great talent possessed by the
      oppressed beings is awfully convenient, but then again I think his
      point was the importance of looking beneath the exterior. Overall,
      however, Snuff is a gripping read; there are plots and chases and
      plenty of room for Vimes's trademark speeches while accosting
      evildoers. There is lots of humour as well, bouncing in a typically
      Pratchettesque (Pratchettian?) fashion from arch literary references
      to mocking manners and mores to slapstick and wordplay to the
      frankly scatological – Young Sam takes great delight in exploring
      the world of poo. I very much enjoyed Snuff, continue to adore
      Vimes, and find the development of Vimes the Family Man an
      increasingly appealing layer in the novels set among the police
      force..."

      http://tinyurl.com/csfvlbj

      Blogger Ash offers a review of Men at Arms:

      "The book explores the history of monarchy, uncovers Captain
      Carrot's past and how he came to be adopted by the dwarves not to
      mention bridge the volatile relationship between trolls and dwarves.
      Its a murder mystery to the core with humor taking a back seat if
      only for awhile. It is however one of the best adventures which
      revolves around the Watch..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cg8hp6l

      ...and also reviews The Truth:

      "The story is closely based on the origins of 'News' and
      Journalism... the crux lies in the exploring the nuances of
      journalism, newspaper and the invention of printing press. The story
      becomes hilarious with the introduction of Otto Chriek, a vegan
      vampire who joins William's team as the photographer. Its definitely
      a book you'd want to read over and over..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cgj58yc

      Blogger mervih was delighted by the audiobook of Wyrd Sisters, read
      by Celia Imrie:

      "Obviously, MacBeth has inspired this book. There's also a Hamlet-
      like ghost. Hwel, the dwarven script writer for the troupe, channels
      Shakespeare and tries out various wordings... This is the first time
      I've listened a Pratchett book and I really enjoyed Imrie's reading.
      She has individual voices to all witches and most of the supporting
      cast, too..."

      http://tinyurl.com/dyy35qo

      ...and mervih also reviews Lords and Ladies (the print version):

      "The book features no less than three possible romances, lots of
      misunderstandings, and people not talking to each other even though
      just five minutes honest talk would probably clear up most of the
      misunderstandings. I generally don't care for such
      misunderstandings but Pratchett manages to write them well, just for
      comedic effect but in-character, too. As usual, underneath the
      comedy, Prachett discusses about serious issues. This time it's
      the way that what people believe makes them almost blind to how
      things are; the nature of reality and thought/belief and how they
      affect each other..."

      http://tinyurl.com/btw977a

      The Bookwitch was puzzled by The Long Earth, and explains why in her
      review:

      "Why is it that in sci-fi you almost always travel? This was less of
      a space ship journey, because as I said, I'm not sure where the
      characters went to. I do know where they started from, which was
      Madison, Wisconsin (my second Wisconsin book in a row, so I will
      steer clear of that, now). With or without their potatoes, people
      `step.' Into another world, or ten, and occasionally one hundred
      thousand worlds. Seeing how you are sick when you step, you can see
      that it might be hard to step any distance... Maybe it's because I
      don't like the unknown, that I felt unnnerved by all the new worlds
      Joshua and his Dalai Lama pal visit. They pose countless questions
      about life everywhere. I'm just not sure what conclusions are
      reached. You can tell Terry Pratchett has been involved, because
      there are many absurd characters and ideas (I don't know what
      Stephen Baxter is like, but I'm guessing he's more science), nicely
      juxtaposed to entertain the reader..."

      http://tinyurl.com/bqr7aae

      Blogger and author Heather Dixon gushes (her own term) about Going
      Postal:

      "In the world of creative writing, there are a lot of proclaimed
      do's and don't's. Don't start your book this way. Do make your
      chapters this long. Don't write what people actually say. Do write
      what people actually say. Editors like this. Agents like that. Show,
      don't tell... With Going Postal, I felt I left those pretensions
      behind. He broke all the rules. Prologues, jumping POV's, footnotes,
      varying fonts and sizes, chapters of all sizes, such stylized
      characters, and he was funny. Every page made me laugh. In my
      reading journey, like Moist, I had transformed..."

      http://tinyurl.com/c6255te

      Blogger madlyquizotic gives Snuff a thumbs-up:

      "While I was reading it, I felt there was something darker about
      this story than some of the other ones I read. It seemed to be a
      little more serious, and the humour was there, but it was a little
      less easy to pick up on. The characterisation was very good, and I
      enjoyed the scenes with Lord Vetinari, partially because he managed
      to lose his composure, most of all with the crossword compiler, who
      still managed to get the better of him, and stay unthreatening.
      Vimes, as nearly always, manages to combine good sense with creative
      thinking, and I really did like it... Pratchett also manages to
      tackle issues such as race and species with well thought out writing
      – Vimes is adjusted to the idea of beings such as trolls, yet the
      one thing which people still haven't become used to is the matter of
      goblins, who are shown to be very much like anybody else. I liked
      this story because the plot was good and the characterisations were
      written to the same standard as previous stories..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cpcebeh

      In the blog Humanity's Darker Side, there is a fascinating post – a
      combination of assorted Discworld book and film reviews and
      spotlights on some Discworld technologies. Given that the blogger
      seems to be intimately acquainted with the series, his-or-her
      spelling is somewhat, er, creative (Windle Pons? Adela Dearheart?
      *Vetinary*?!), but the post is well worth a read and includes
      assorted fan art (by Justyna, Nuka-Winch, Jess Idres and JessKat),
      much of which is rather good:

      http://tinyurl.com/bvfsuou

      There is also a good post about Death and the Death-centric
      Discworld novels:

      http://tinyurl.com/d8nuvwo

      ...and one about the witches:

      http://tinyurl.com/bswmvjq

      ...and another, on cultures of the Disc:

      http://tinyurl.com/ckggrpd

      Blogger civilservant gives top marks to the Going Postal telefilm:

      "The producers have created a great, 19th-century-ish, Steampunk
      setting and a sharp, witty, gripping script. The movie itself is
      about two hours long and there is a second disc with lots of
      wonderful interviews with the cast and crew. Easy to obtain over
      Amazon.com and a good buy for the money. Although I'm a Pratchett
      fan, I preferred the movie to the book..."

      http://tinyurl.com/coltxns

      Blogger bothari's shortish but loving review of Snuff:

      "Pratchett has focused before on the idea of personhood, putting the
      City Watch up against speciesism in Ankh-Morpork with dwarves,
      trolls, vampires, and even zombies. The lesson is always the same:
      if you're sapient, people aren't allowed to kill you (unless
      you're trying to kill them first, of course). But the way the
      lesson is taught is always a wonderful ride, filled with great
      characters old and new, exciting adventures (including a chase scene
      on a riverboat this time), and Commander Vimes himself, who is one
      of my favorite Discworld denizens...."

      http://tinyurl.com/c9nr2t3

      A short essay by Cheryl Mahoney about the Ankh-Morpork City Watch:

      The City Guard are led by Sam Vimes, the relatively sane focus point
      in the middle of some very odd characters. I think Vimes is what
      makes these my favorite set of books. Besides being an awesome
      character, he's the straight man
      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)