WOSSNAME -- August 2012 -- Fourecks special edition

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2012
      SPECIAL EDITION: FOURECKS-TRA!!!
      August 2012 (Volume 15, Issue 8, Post 1)

      01) EDITOR'S NOTE
      02) DISCWORLD PLAYS IN AUSTRALIA, AUGUST–NOVEMBER 2012
      03) AUSDWCON NEWS

      01) A NOTE FROM YOUR EDITOR

      Hold the Antipodean front and back page! There is so much going on
      in the Land of the Big Dry that it warrants its own special early
      edition. A number of Discworld plays, from Unseen Theatre's latest
      to a new offering by the whimsically-named WTF in Canberra to...
      well, read on.

      We also have some updates about next year's Australian Discworld
      convention in Melbourne, Nullus Anxietas IV. Early-bird ticket
      discounts will end soon, so if you're thinking of attending next
      March this is a good time to get the maximum value. And Melburnians
      and visitors to Melbourne, don't forget the regular "Ankh-Morpork"
      game tournaments! All of this and more below. Down under, in fact...

      I was hoping this early edition would go out over the previous
      weekend, but sadly, we had a bit of a HEX-plosion which didn't get
      sorted until I captured a passing Technomancer who kindly agreed to
      look into the matter. All seems well now, but I have him chained in
      the cellar just in case. Hat. Hat. Hat.

      – Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02)

      2.1 WYRD SISTERS IN CANBERRA

      "Canberra theatre director Kerrie Roberts is bringing one of Terry
      Pratchett's finest creations, Wyrd Sisters, to the Tuggeranong
      Arts Centre (TAC) stage for a two-week season... Keen to see
      Pratchett Tragics in the audience, the TAC is offering a $5 discount
      for audience members who arrive clutching a Terry Pratchett novel."

      When: 14th-25th August (Tuesday to Saturday)
      Venue: Tuggeranong Arts Centre, 137 Reed Street, Greenway ("We can
      be reached from Drakeford Drive by crossing the lake on Soward Way,
      turning right onto Anketell Street and right again onto Reed Street.
      Parking is available on Reed Street.")
      Time: 7:30pm
      Prices: $30 ($25 concession)
      Booking details: Phone reception at Tuggeranong Arts Centre 02 6293
      1443 during working hours

      Special offers:
      1. TAC - Bring a copy of any Pratchett novel and get your ticket at
      concession price (only applies when buying your ticket at the door;
      doesn't apply to phone bookings)

      2. Dymocks Tuggeranong special offer: buy Terry Pratchett's "Wyrd
      Sisters" book at Dymocks Tuggeranong, take the purchase receipt to
      TAC and get one ticket at concession price. Or, take your Wyrd
      Sisters ticket to Dymocks Tuggeranong (along with the voucher you'll
      get at TAC), and receive 20% off the Wyrd Sisters book

      http://www.tuggeranongarts.com/
      http://www.tuggeranongarts.com/t_2011season.html
      http://www.facebook.com/WyrdSisters2012

      And here's another piece about the production:

      "The Tuggeranong Arts Centre Women's Theatre Forum (WTF) is a
      community group dedicated to older women in theatre so get along to
      what promises to be a charming incarnation of a Pratchett classic.
      Yes, it's really called WTF."

      http://tinyurl.com/8jxh24n

      2.2 REAPER MAN IN ADELAIDE

      Unseen Theatre are back with brand-new Discworld action! Reaper Man,
      directed by Pamela Munt and David Dyte and featuring Hugh O'Connor
      as DEATH, Pamela Munt as Miss Flitworth, Leighton James as Windle
      Poons, Paul Messenger as Archchancellor Ridcully and Samm Blackmore
      as Footnote, takes to the Bakehouse Theatre stage next month.
      "Supported by a cast and crew of thousands!" Not to be missed!

      When: 14th-29th September 2012 (preview night is Friday 14th
      September, opening night is Saturday 15th September, and then the
      season continues on Wednesday 19th, Thursday 20th, Friday 21st,
      Saturday 22nd, Wednesday 26th, Thursday 27th, Friday 28th and
      Saturday 29th)
      Venue: Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide SA 5000 (Tel:
      (08) 8227 0505)
      Time: 8pm all shows
      Tickets: Adults $20/Concession $17/Fringe Benefits $16/ Groups (of
      10+) $16 (Preview – all tix $15)
      BOOKINGS: www.bakehousetheatre.com, or cash at the door on the night
      (subject to availability)

      http://www.unseen.com.au/
      http://www.bakehousetheatre.com/shows/2012/reaper-man

      2.3 THE LAST HERO IN BRISBANE

      The Brisbane Arts Theatre will present the Australian premiere of
      The Last Hero, adapted by Ian Rennie, in September.

      "Cohen the Barbarian and his Silver Horde may well be over pension
      age, but that won't stop them being Heroes. They're heading to the
      home of the Gods, to give back what the first Hero stole - fire.
      The genius inventor Leonard of Quirm and steadfast watchman Captain
      Carrot are on their way to stop them blowing up the Discworld.
      They're certain to succeed - except that they've brought the wizard
      Rincewind with them...

      "The BAT's popular Discworld series continues with this premiere
      adaption of one of Sir Terry Pratchett's most popular stories. All
      performance royalties will be donated to The Orangutan Project &
      Gill's Old Bastards, with special Sunday Matinee performances to
      support these two charities."

      When: 15th September - 13th October 2012, with special charity
      matinees on Sunday 23rd September and Sunday 7th October at 2pm
      Venue: Brisbane Arts Theatre, 210 Petrie Terrace, Brisbane,
      Queensland, Australia
      Time: 8pm (charity matinees at 2pm)
      Tickets: AU$20-$37. To buy online, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/ch359jg

      http://www.artstheatre.com.au/

      2.4 WYRD SISTERS IN MELBOURNE

      Monash University Shakespeare will present their production of Wyrd
      Sisters, directed by Jem Splitter, in the MUST Space, Monash
      University, in September 2012. The performance dates are 6th-15th
      September. Times and ticket prices seem impossible to find so far,
      but apparently you can email wyrdsisters2012@... or call 0438
      001 664 to find out more information.

      2.5 GUARDS! GUARDS! IN EMERALD

      That's the charming little town of Emerald in Victoria, not the
      considerably less charming one in Queensland... Director Evie
      Housham and Assistant Director Ysabelle Dean (good Discworld-y name,
      that) will direct the Gemco Players in Guards! Guards! from the 9th
      to the 24th of November 2012.

      When: Friday 9th–Sunday 11th November, Friday 16th–Sunday 18th
      November, and Friday 23rd and Saturday 24th November
      Venue: Gem Community Arts Centre, 19 Kilvington Drive Emerald VIC
      3782 (Melway reference 127 E5)
      Times: 8pm for all Friday and Saturday shows. The Sunday
      performances (11th and 18th) are at 2.30pm
      Tickets: ring 0411 723 530 for bookings

      For further information, email (gemcoplayers@...) or enquire
      via snail mail:

      Gemco Players
      PO Box 480,
      Emerald,
      VIC, 3782

      http://www.gemcoplayers.org/guards-guards

      "Gemco is a community theatre group, which began over 30 years ago
      in Emerald. Over that time Gemco has performed to over 45,000 people
      using some 3,600 people on or offstage. Gemco has had over 1900
      young people involved in its Youth/Children's programs. All
      leaders and committee give their time voluntarily. Gemco has raised
      over $20,000 for groups within the community and beyond. Over 70% of
      material is Australian with much of it locally written. Gemco is
      incorporated i.e. a not for profit organisation. The youth theatre
      has grown in the last 9 years from 15 young people, to 60 young
      people attending per week and a waiting list."

      http://www.gemcoplayers.org/history/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) CONVENTION NEWS

      3.1 AUSDWCON UPDATES

      Damian of Nullus writes:

      Wotcha!

      Nullus Anxietas IV is the National Australian Discworld convention,
      held in Melbourne over the Labour Day weekend (8-10 March, 2013) at
      Bell Rydges in Preston.

      We're selling tickets for the con, and at the moment, while we're
      still setting up, we have a special Early Bird price. At the start
      of September, we're upping the price by $30. Then, there will be no
      early birds. Just birds. And of course, if you buy your supporting
      membership now (only $30) you can upgrade later at the early bird
      price (and that's cutting my own throat!).

      Go to http://ausdwcon.org/ to buy tickets and find out what will be
      happening. Follow @nullusanxietas4 to keep up with the news and say
      hello. We are looking forward to seeing and chatting with you!

      Now for some more very useful information:

      Firstly, registrations and accommodation are both open for Nullus
      Anxietas IV, March 8-10 2013. To find out about accommodation, go
      to:

      http://ausdwcon.org/pages/accommodation

      To claim your spot at the convention:

      http://tinyurl.com/bpc9nh8

      Nullus has regular updates on Facebook:

      https://www.facebook.com/NullusAnxietasIV

      ...and on G+ at:

      http://tinyurl.com/d9ntq6v (search for Nullus Anxietas IV)

      We even dip our fingers in the Twittersphere (@nullusanxietas4) and
      on Pinterest (I have nothing better to do with my life):

      http://pinterest.com/nullusanxietas/

      3.2 ANKH-MORPORK TOURNAMENTS

      Following on from initial successes, the Melbourne "Ankh-Morpork"
      game tournament is now a regular thing! The last Sunday in every
      month is the day for the NAIV Ankh-Morpork Tournament. With prizes
      of games vouchers from Good Games Blackburn, it is always a fun day
      for experienced players and newbies alike. Specific information can
      be found at:

      http://ausdwcon.org/forums/6/topics/516

      The next Ankh-Morpork tournament will be on Sunday 26th August. Bee
      there or bee a rectangular thyng!

      That's the lot for Fourecks at the moment. My HEX is still cranky,
      so I am going to post this out before it declares war on my again.
      See you later this month for the usual WOSSNAME edition...

      – Annie

      The End. If you have any questions or requests, write:
      interact@...