WOSSNAME - JULY 2001 - PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2001
      July 2001 (Volume 4, Issue 7)

      continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      Staff Writers: Geof Johns, Michael Jones
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Art Director : Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Becky Swaney
      Convention News Editor: Megan Perry

      ==Part 1

      1. New Audio
      2. News from The Collector's Guild
      3. Review of Soul Music Video
      4. A Word from Terry
      5. The Discworld Vortex

      ==Part 2

      6. The Data File
      7. Geof''s Jabber
      8. Letters from Our Readers

      ==Part 3

      9. Poetry Contest Award
      10. KFL Members Around the World
      11. Puzzles
      12. Who's Who on the Disc? A Trivia Quiz
      ==Part 1

      1) NEW AUDIO

      Peter Johnson, Publicity & Special Sales manager at
      Isis Publishing reports:

      On August 1st Isis Publishing releases audio editions of Eric,
      the 'missing' book from our complete Discworld unabridged
      audio series. After much deliberation, all parties have agreed
      that the book is a bona fide DW novel so, after trillions of
      requests from TP fans, we're publishing it. ('Course, as you'll
      know, it's also a comic tour de force in its own right . . . )

      The audio book is narrated by Stephen "Cut Me Own Throat"
      Briggs, amanuensis of the Great Man himself, and all-round
      dramatically talented fellow. The cassette edition costs
      £UK17.99 plus postage and packing; the CD version is £19.99
      plus postage and packing.

      The easiest and cheapest way to buy either is by visiting the
      Isis Website at http://www.isis-publishing.co.uk/ where you'll
      also find the entire series of Isis Discworld audio books.

      2) NEWS FROM THE COLLECTOR'S GUILD

      An e-mail from Elton Murphy at The Collectors Guild advises:

      Sorry it's been a while since we last contacted you, but our usual
      'monthly' website update has had to take a back seat this month whilst
      we worked on other issues. I suppose that's one of the 'pleasures' of
      operating a small business - what may seem like fairly minor changes to
      the outside world are often major upheavals to our daily routine.
      Suffice to say, it's been a hectic month.

      Reason (or is that excuse?) number one is that we've been busy working
      with Clarecraft to organise this year's Discworld Event. Please visit
      http://www.discworldshop.com/ if you don't know what it's about. For
      those of you still wanting tickets (you won't be the only one leaving it
      late!!), please book online now at:

      https://secure.keme.net/miuk/clarecraft/c01-form.html

      Alternatively, give us a call on 01359 244462. But be quick - we've sold
      more tickets than last year already!!

      The other reason for 'neglecting' other areas of our site is that we
      have been hard at work on a new shopping system.

      You can jump straight to the shopping area at:

      http://www.thecollectorsguild.com/acatalog/

      Even if you don't feel tempted to buy anything, we hope that you'll
      enjoy looking at the figurines and take advantage of the ecard
      system to cheer up your friends and family.

      We've also been having fun with auctions. You can snap up a
      bargain in our own auction area at:

      http://www.discworldshop.com/cgi-binr/auction.cgi

      Alternatively, we've put up a retired Ridcully and a limited Angua on
      Ebay at the following two addresses:

      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1165477709

      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1165852309

      That's it for now. Next job is to update the rest of the site and this
      little thing they call a 'Discworld Event'. We hope to see a few of you
      in August and, for those who can't come this year, we'll supply some
      nice pictures and a bit of a write up next month.

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) REVIEW OF SOUL MUSIC VIDEO

      "SOUL MUSIC" Acorn Media, 175 minutes, 2 cassettes,
      VHS $29.95 ($26.95 via Amazon), DVD $29.95 ($22.46)

      At long last the second Pratchett video is available in VHS format
      for our members in the United States and Canada. It is an
      excellent video, greatly improved by deleting the interview with
      Terry that slows down the British version. Not that what Terry has
      to say isn't interesting, but in my humble opinion it just does not
      belong on a video that is supposed to be telling a story.

      "But," you may say, "isn't it like an author's preface?" Yes, it is
      -- and how many movies have you seen with a preface? If you
      had to sit through a long screen introduction to a movie, you'd
      walk out of the theater and ask for your money back.

      Otherwise, the video is identical to the British version, and it
      is a masterpiece. It captures the "rock" feel that I think
      Terry intended much better than the book does -- you actually
      see and hear the concerts instead of just reading about them.
      And there are dozens of clever visual jokes parodying the
      Beatles and other groups that add an extra dimension to
      the film in a way that no book can convey.

      This masterful production captures the Pratchett characters
      perfectly: Death, Susan, Binky, Albert, the wizards, even
      the Death of Rats, are portrayed just as the author created
      them. They speak in his words, they do the things the book
      says they do, and there are no Hollywood "improvements."

      If you have a friend you'd like to introduce to Pratchett's
      works, this movie will open their eyes to the wonders
      and magic of Discworld. It is a delightful film.

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) A WORD FROM TERRY

      Dear Editor:

      Just wanting to know if anyone can shed some light on this. In Reaper
      Man, PTerry talks about Casanunder (with an R), but in all the other
      books, it's Casanunda. I think they are the same person/dwarf/whatever,
      as they both have references to stepladders, but I wasn't sure if
      something went on like they were different relatives or something, or
      whether PTerry decided to change the names spelling after a while..
      Anyone know?

      -- Nicholas Fletcher, Australia

      We asked Terry and he replied:

      Joe,

      I think it was some assiduous copy editing that never got changed.
      But several Discworld names have mutated over time, if I prefer
      the new spelling.

      -- Terry

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      5) THE DISCWORLD VORTEX
      -- or I love Terry's books, but they don't love me

      Like many people, my initial introduction to Terry Pratchett's fiction was
      through a casual encounter. A collector of books by nature, I picked up
      'Eric'
      from one of the many bookracks kept at the back of our English class in
      high school. After reading it, it disappeared after I put it down, presumably
      back to the rack. My next reading was of 'Small Gods', which was a
      library book. Eventually, we parted ways. Unfortunately, this has set a
      precedent between me and my Pratchett books that is both bizarre and
      frustrating.

      I have, to this date, bought fourteen Discworld books. I HAVE 3 books, just
      purchased, and two MIA but assumed prisoners of my room.
      What happened to the other books? Did I just lose them? One would assume
      this, except for totally convincing proof of the systematic removal of
      Discworld books from my person by forces unknown.

      All the books were 1) just bought 2) just finished the first read through
      and 3) generally went missing so thoroughly, as to seem to disappear
      spontaneously on buses, in class, at my house or in the kitchen of a friend.

      "But Mel" you say, "What proof is that? You still have SOME books." Well,
      true, I have lost other books. And the non-discworld Terry Pratchett books
      remain unscathed. But a huge, hardbound (and expensive I might add) book of
      Soul Music doesn't just get misplaced under the newspaper, and 'Interesting
      Times' and 'Masquerade' going missing not at the same time (despite being
      carried together) but only after I'd read each one, it's just too compelling.

      I can only theorize that there is some sort of quantum thingy happening.
      Maybe it's little inter-dimensional brownies who love Discworld. Maybe it's
      some sort of black market used books program run by those galactic
      shopkeepers. I really have no idea. My current favorite theory is it's some
      sort of quantum wave. Discworld books can either be read or be had, but not
      both. Since I both had it and read it, they ceased to exist. I can only
      assume that the fact it took several readings to 'get' all of FOC and LL is
      the reason why they were spared, if only to get lost in my room.

      I come forth not for sympathy, but to hope to discover the root of this
      phenomenon, and to save my new books from meeting the same fate as all the
      others. Suggestions of a brownie-free shelter or some sort of chain would be
      nice. Until then, I'm keeping them under lock and key.

      -- Melissa Drake