WOSSNAME -- Main issue -- June 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17 8:42 PM
      June 2012 (Volume 15, Issue 6, Post 1)
      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide
      Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano, L.C. Thomas
      time)

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      03) IMPORTANT STUFF!!!
      04) WODEHOUSE PRIZE (INCLUDING PIG) FOR "SNUFF"
      05) ...AND HAY FESTIVAL TRIUMPH
      06) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      07) REVIEWS: THE LONG EARTH
      08) MORE REVIEWS OF PRATCHETT PRIZE WINNER NOVELS
      09) BAXTER AND PRATCHETT: HOW THEY MET
      10) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      11) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      12) REVIEW: WORLD OF POO

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "Comic spirit is something which is impossible to define, but you
      know it when you see it. And Pratchett's absolutely got it."

      – Peter Florence, one of the Wodehouse Prize 2012 judges

      "Do we keep the pig or champagne? The perennial pig/champagne
      conundrum, eh?"

      – Pterry, on receiving his Wodehouse Prize...pig?!

      "I found PG Wodehouse when I was thirteen. I read everything of his
      that I could get my hands on and because of him actually considered
      one day taking up golf. It was a close run thing. Very many thanks
      to those who inexplicably decided on giving me this award."

      – ibid, sans pig

      "I can't be bothered about death. I have made him so popular that he
      owes me one."

      – and during his talk at the 2012 Hay Festival

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR: EARLY EDITION

      This early edition features a number of items about The Long Earth,
      which will of course be published on 21st June – including several
      reviews. But first, let me mention another great and iconic science
      fiction author on the occasion of his passing: Ray Bradbury, who
      died this month (5th June 2012) at the grand old age of ninety-
      one. His touch with language was so exquisite, his influence vast.
      He could lift the heart with his phrasing, or freeze the marrow
      (there's one of his short stories, which I daren't even name, that
      to this day evokes horror if I pause for even a moment to think
      about its content). His penchant for melding the weird and the
      utterly prosaic had no greater master.

      I discovered his work in my early days, when I would sneak into
      libraries (as an unaccompanied, very small, very young girl had to
      do back then) and randomly pick and read. I carried on reading his
      work through the years. Even in his later stuff, from Driving Blind
      onwards, his wordsmithing lost none of its power.

      I am glad he existed, glad he wrote, and glad he had a good long
      run. Vale Ray Bradbury!

      In other news, a reminder that 22nd June is the closing date for
      online Convivium registrations, and also the last date for
      Supporters to upgrade to an attending membership:

      Buy: http://ausdwcon.org/memberships/new
      Info: http://ausdwcon.org/pages/membership

      Oh, and remember, the paperback edition of Snuff is out now and
      contains exclusive material from The Long Earth! Speaking of which,
      your Editor wishes to apologise for delaying the WOSSNAME Long Earth
      review. As (far too) usual, illness got in the way of my completing
      it on time for this early issue, but it *will* appear in a later
      post this month.

      Now, for exciting news about a certain iconic science fiction author
      who ate'nt dead...

      – Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) IMPORTANT STUFF!

      3.1 GOODY BAGS!

      ...are up for grabs in daily contests all this month on the official
      Terry Pratchett Facebook page. The questions are simple, and to
      enter the competitions all you need is email. Typical questions so
      far have included "What type of wood is the luggage made from?",
      "What is the name of the main character in The World of Poo?", "What
      new species is introduced in Snuff?", and "The Long Earth is a
      collaboration between Terry Pratchett and which other best-selling
      science fiction author?" So go for it! Go to:

      http://www.facebook.com/pratchett

      3.2 PARALLEL WORLDS IN ROUNDWORLD!

      Lynsey of Transworld says:

      "For those who fancy a trip to London, next Wednesday 20th June
      we're taking over a major London landmark at 12:30pm!! The location
      is a secret at the moment and we'll be creating our own parallel
      worlds with a special guest appearance from the man himself."

      There will be plenty of Earths like this one:

      http://tinyurl.com/c8avs5g

      3.3 DINNER WITH DA MAN!

      "Meet the legendary author Sir Terry Pratchett and pick his brains
      over dinner for two at an exclusive Private Member's Club in London.
      You'll also receive a signed copy of his latest book. (Please note:
      dinner will be on Sir Terry, but travel and accommodation is not
      included. Mutually convenient time and date will be worked out once
      bidding closes.)"

      http://www.terrypratchett.co.uk/?p=1698

      **NOTE: the eBay page for this auction can be found here:

      http://tinyurl.com/cqbaqaf

      Bidding for the relevant item – dinner with Sir Pterry – opens
      on Sunday 24th June.

      "Here at Dignity in Dying we consider ourselves very lucky to have
      Patrons ranging from Sirs Patrick Stewart and Terry Pratchett, to
      actors Kim Cattrall and Hugh Grant, to authors Nell Dunn and Ian
      McEwan, as well as a host of other luminaries. On top of their
      continued commitment to the campaign, this growing list of Patrons
      recently told us they wanted to do something more to help. They
      wanted to do something different; something which could help raise
      awareness of our campaign among the wider public, and also generate
      some money to help fund the campaign's crucial next steps. And so
      Dignity in Dying is proud to invite you to our unique online auction
      – Bidding for Choice 2012. Our Patrons have donated 18 incredible
      items for auction, ranging from one-off experiences to signed
      collectibles..."

      3.4 LIVE VIDEO OF THE LONG EARTH AUTHORS!

      Lynsey again:

      "Next Thursday night Stephen Baxter & Terry Pratchett will be
      talking all things parallel worlds at The Royal Institution! Not got
      a ticket? Don't worry, you can watch the event in all its glory on
      the Royal Institution's fantastic science video site, The Ri
      Channel. The film will be available from 11am on Tuesday 26 June and
      you can watch it by clicking here..."

      http://richannel.org/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) THE WINNER! WODEHOUSE PRIZE FOR "SNUFF"

      In The Guardian:

      "Peter Florence called it a 'comic masterpiece'. He said; 'Yes,
      there are little jewels of language and comedy, but it's the
      generosity of spirit throughout the whole project which makes it
      such a comic masterpiece,' he said. 'And even after all these years
      he's spent in Discworld, he actually keeps refining it and making it
      sharper and clearer. That's an extraordinary achievement. You would
      expect a slowdown but there's none of that, and that, I think, is
      almost an unparalleled feat.' Pratchett has been shortlisted on
      three previous occasions for the Wodehouse award: the two authors,
      said Florence, are surprisingly similar. 'There are so many things
      he does which Wodehouse did too. It's not just the playfulness of
      the language he's also quite patently satirical in the way
      Wodehouse was," he said. "Wodehouse was really hard on fascism. He
      wasn't simply writing a comedy of manners, and neither is Pratchett
      Both of their invented worlds are wrestling with the political
      realities of their times.'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/6pd6bru

      In The Telegraph:

      "The award, which is given to the book that best captures the 'comic
      spirit' of PG Wodehouse, will be presented to Pratchett for his 39th
      Discworld novel Snuff. It comes a week after the writer won a Bafta
      for his documentary about euthanasia, Choosing to Die. Pratchett
      beat fellow nominees John O'Farrell (The Man Who Forgot His Wife),
      Julian Gough (Jude in London), Sue Townsend (The Woman Who Went to
      Bed for a Year) and John Lanchester (Capital) to the title. The
      prize itself includes a case of champagne, a set of Wodehouse
      novels, and the unusual honour of having a locally bred
      Gloucestershire Old Spot pig named after the winning work..."

      http://tinyurl.com/7uq6rug

      Sky News:

      "It is the first time Pratchett has won the prize, named in honour
      of Jeeves and Wooster creator PG Wodehouse, despite being
      shortlisted on three previous occasions. Prize judge Peter Florence
      said: 'I am thrilled he's won in this 25th anniversary year of the
      festival. He's consistently funny, inventive and with an acute,
      satirical view of the world.'..."

      http://news.sky.com/home/article/16237709

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) ...AND HAY FESTIVAL TRIUMPH

      In Wales Online:

      "The talk started with Pratchett being formally awarded the
      Bollinger Wodehouse prize, which saw him having a pig named after
      his book, Snuff. The prize for comic writing signalled the beginning
      of a talk that had fans calling him back for more. An hour wasn't
      even enough time to touch the tip of the iceberg in the career of a
      man who manages to fuse satire, political commentary and fantasy
      with ease. When asked by a member of the audience if he wished he
      was taken more seriously, he retorted 'no I bloody don't', before
      going on to say that he never wished to be respected by the Turner
      Prize panel, and was happy enough being rich... He was even
      forthcoming when giving advice to young writers, telling them to
      steer well clear of mimicking his style of writing, but telling
      them: 'Look at how the best did it, but don't try to write like
      me... that's suicide.' Whether or not he intended to use the word
      which has appeared next to his name so often in newspaper headlines
      of late we will never know, but this talk made it clear that
      Pratchett is still an institution..."

      http://tinyurl.com/7yzahdc

      The Telegraph offers a short and somewhat wind-blurred video of
      author and pig being interviewed:

      http://tinyurl.com/d5m77m2

      ...and several op-ed pieces:

      "Sir Terry, who was awarded the Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize
      for Comic Fiction, also made light of complaints he has not been
      taken seriously by the critics – despite writing 50 books that
      have sold 80 million copies. 'Oh dear me, the Booker people don't
      like me. I don't care! I was brought up reading science fiction and
      everything else – But I never expected anyone to say I was very
      good at it – I hoped they would say I was very rich... I have been
      given an award for being taken not seriously and I am very, very
      pleased about that.'... He described writing as running down a hill
      with wings on your back and taking flight, although sometimes you
      have to run up and down a few hills...."

      http://tinyurl.com/7lxdbk6

      "More recently, the 'embuggerance' of a diagnosis of posterior
      cortical atrophy – a rare form of Alzheimer's – and Pratchett's
      emergence as a doughty campaigner for assisted suicide (and
      presenter of a moving and award-winning documentary on the subject)
      have ensured that the people have focused as much on what he says as
      what he writes. This isn't just a shame, it's an injustice. Over the
      years, without many people noticing, Pratchett has created one of
      the most imaginative and fully realised fictional universes in
      modern literature. It would be tempting to compare it to Wodehouse's
      world of Eggs, Beans and Crumpets. Except that Pratchett's Discworld
      isn't frozen in amber, but the product of decades of vital and
      violent evolution...

      "As a teenager, I was convinced that Good Omens was the funniest
      book ever written. Yet as the years went by, my passion for
      Pratchett cooled, whether because I was becoming more mature, or
      because the production line that brought a new novel every six
      months appeared to have drained much of the passion and sparkle from
      his work. On returning to his work later in life, however, I found
      something delightful: the gagsmith had transformed himself, without
      anyone noticing, into a satirist..."

      http://tinyurl.com/8ymzgwd

      6.1 MORT IN BUXTON (NEXT WEEK!)

      "Buxton Drama League is returning to the Opera House – and the
      fantastical stories of Sir Terry Pratchett – with a stage version
      of one of his most popular tales, Mort. Having previously
      entertained local audiences with Pratchett's Maskerade and Carpe
      Jugulum, the Drama League make a welcome return to the Discworld
      with a cast of seasoned stalwarts and talented younger actors.
      Director Alex Archer said: 'This is not a play just for Terry
      Pratchett fans though, it is also a self-contained story which will
      engage and excite any audience member. I guarantee that you will
      never see a performance quite like this again and the outstanding
      performances from the cast will definitely make it both a memorable
      and enjoyable experience.'"

      When: Friday June 22 and Saturday June 23 2012
      Venue: Buxton Opera House
      Time: 7.30pm, with a matinee on the Saturday at 2.30pm
      Tickets: £10, are available from the Box Office on 0845 127 2190
      or online at www.buxtonoperahouse.org.uk.

      http://tinyurl.com/6qhta6g

      6.2 ...AND MORT IN TORONTO IN JULY

      "Socratic Theatre Collective is proud to conclude its second season
      with a sitespecific production of Terry Pratchett's Mort, adapted by
      Stephen Briggs, presented at the 2012 Toronto Fringe Festival."

      When: Saturday 7th July, Sunday 8th July, Friday 13th July, Saturday
      14th July, Sunday 15th July

      Venue: University College Quadrangle, 15 Kings College Circle,
      University of Toronto St. George campus. Entrance gate is at the
      north-west corner of the building, opposite the soccer field.

      Time: Fridays and Saturdays 7:00pm, Sunday 2:00pm. In accordance
      with Toronto Fringe Festival policy, no latecomers will be admitted.

      Tickets: $10 at the door, $9 in advance ($2 service charge applied).
      The venue box office is located at the entrance to the University
      College Quadrangle, and will open 1 hour before each performance.
      Only cash is accepted at the venue box office.

      "The Toronto Fringe Festival also offers Value Packs available
      online or by telephone from June 1 or in person from July 4. Due to
      the outdoor nature of the venue, our rain policy is to proceed as
      long as the performers' safety is not impaired. Cancellation due to
      rain will be announced 15 minutes before any performance in
      question.

      "As part of the Site Specific program at the Toronto Fringe, the
      production will take place in the University College Quadrangle on
      the University of Torontos St. George campus. This unique and
      eclectic setting provides the perfect venue for Terry Pratchett's
      Mort; according to director Ruth Pe Palileo, we will create a living
      version of the Discworld by highlighting the unique architectural
      character of the University College Quadrangle. The audience will
      move through different areas, thereby creating the sense that they
      are journeying with us through the Discworld. This particular play
      is very much about the journey that the main character makes around
      the Discworld, and by giving the audience the experience of
      movement, we will enrich their understanding of his journey."

      Advance Box Office: www.fringetoronto.com
      Tickets are available from June 15 to July 15
      Telephone: 4169661062 (x1)a
      Opening hours:
      June 1530 10:00am5:00pmt
      July 115 9:30am6:30pm
      Payment options: Visa and Mastercard.
      To buy in person, go to the Festival Box Office (parking lot behind
      Honest Eds at 581 Bloor Street West)

      For more information, contact Liz Bragg at 4169989772 or email
      info@....

      www.socratictheatre.com

      6.3 GUARDS! GUARDS! IN MINNESOTA

      The Historic Mounds Theatre continue to present Pratchett plays,
      hurrah! After May's production of Amazing Maurice, next up is
      Guards! Guards! in September.

      When: September 7th-23rd, Fridays through Sundays
      Venue: The Historic Mounds Theatre, 1029 Hudson Road, Saint Paul, MN
      55106

      No information on tickets and times yet, but their website is here:

      http://www.moundstheatre.org/

      6.4 LORDS AND LADIES IN PETERSFIELD (QUEEN'S JUBILEE 2012)

      "Three theatre groups and a production crew from Petersfield have
      united under one banner to produce a play for the Queen's Jubilee
      next year. Winton Players, Petersfield Theatre Group, Lion and
      Unicorn Players and the Green A Team have come together to form the
      Petersfield Performing Arts Federation. The union planned to perform
      fantasy author Terry Pratchett's 'Lords and Ladies' at St Peter's
      Church in September 2012. Federation spokesman Phill Humphries said:
      'This is important to us because we want this to be a real community
      production. We will be holding open auditions in January 2012 for
      anyone who is interested in any aspect of bring this production to
      the stage. You do not need experience – just enthusiasm and an
      open mind.'

      Anyone who wishes to find out more should e-mail:

      pghumphries@...

      http://tinyurl.com/6s463wv

      6.5 GOOD OMENS IN GLASGOW, 2013

      Glasgow's Cult Classic Theatre (motto: "We do the weird stuff") has
      received permission to present Good Omens in March 2013. Having
      already successfully tackled Doctor Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog, The
      Man in the Iron Mask, and other tough nuts, the wonderfully
      enthusiastic Amy Hoff, who will be directing her own adaptation of
      the book, says, "We're really looking forward to it – it's going
      to be a fairly large undertaking [and] we are all very excited."

      The performances are set for 20th-23rd March 2013 and 27th-30th
      March 2013 at Cottiers Theatre, a charming theatre-and-restaurant
      venue in a converted church. But before that, Cult Classic Theatre
      is holding auditions for the play.

      Auditions will be held October 1st & 2nd, 7 pm at Cottiers Theatre,
      93-95 Hyndland Street, Glasgow. For those of you up Caledonia way
      then, do come along; you might even meet the Pineguin...

      http://www.cottiers.com/

      Have a look at previous productions on their website:

      www.cultclassic.org

      6.6 THE BIRTH OF A NEW PRATCHETT THEATRE COMPANY

      "So, what exactly is Monstrous Productions?! Well, we're a Cardiff
      based theatre company who solely perform Pratchett adaptations.
      We're funded through sponsorship and investors and all of our profit
      goes to Alzheimer's Research UK. Our next production will be Carpe
      Jugulum in June 2013 (possibly `Going Postal' – will keep you
      updated). I'm going to hold auditions for all of the South Wales
      area; anyone who has the time to rehearse twice a week from March
      until June is welcome, I'm hoping to get all ages and backgrounds...
      As the play is so far away I don't really have to think about that
      yet; first comes funding... It's all a little bit strange though. A
      few months back I started this blog because I had the chance to
      direct one Pratchett play and now I have a company that specialises
      in them..."

      The Monstrous Productions Facebook group is here:

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/296932487060197/

      "Please join if you're interested in helping, auditioning or just
      keeping up to date with what we're doing."

      http://tinyurl.com/87rjt9b

      6.7 REVIEW: WYRD SISTERS IN CORNWALL

      In This Is Cornwall:

      "A wordy play with meaty parts, there were outstanding performances
      from Margaret Gardener, Carole Metters and Olivia Lowry playing the
      three witches. Suzanne Bugano was pure joy as wicked Lady Felmet,
      constantly sparring with her hapless husband the Duke, played by Ed
      Blincoe. The Fool of the story was cleverly played by Richard
      Thomas, with Tim Caulfield turning in good performances as the
      chamberlain, the demon and Hwel, a playwright... Sadly, Wyrd
      Sisters was not Troy [Players] at the top of its game; the prompt
      was kept busy on the night I went and the play lacked pace. With
      more than 20 scene changes, the set was brilliantly designed and
      built to revolve, but what should have been a quick turnaround was
      slow hampered by musicians trooping on and off stage in a bid to
      distract the audience... It was a directorial error which irritated
      rather than distracted..."

      http://tinyurl.com/d79w4z3

      6.8 REMINDER: LORDS AND LADIES IN SOMERSET

      Taunton Thespians are currently presenting their outdoor touring
      production of Lords and Ladies in various locations around Somerset.

      Venues and dates REMAINING:
      Tuesday 19th Maunsel House
      Wednesday 20th Muchelney Abbey
      Thursday 21st The Museum of Somerset, Taunton
      Saturday 23rd Cleeve Abbey

      Tickets: £10 adults, £9 over-60s, and £4 under-16s and the
      unemployed, with a £1 discount per ticket for each one bought in
      advance. Available at the Brewhouse Theatre and Arts Centre
      (01823-283244), Taunton Tourist Information Centre (01823-336344) or
      online at the Taunton Thespians' website (see below).

      Tickets are valid for any performance, so in case of a rained-out
      performance your ticket can be used at a different venue.

      www.tauntonthespians.org.uk

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      07) REVIEWS: THE LONG EARTH

      7.1 i09'S REVIEW

      By Chris Hsiang aka Grey Area:

      "The Long Earth is a brilliant Science Fiction collaboration with
      Stephen Baxter: a love letter to all Pratchett fans, readers, and
      lovers of wonder everywhere...

      "This book is well-paced, featuring one bright concept after another
      with many thrills and laughs along the way. Only at the very end are
      we introduced to the really big conflicts and heavies leading up to
      — yep, BOOM — a cliffhanger... It's great to see Sir Terry
      return to science fiction, weaving a chuckling philosophy with an
      appreciation for the wonders of the universe(s)... I found some
      elements that seem recycled from Discworld novels, especially Thief
      of Time. Then I remembered this came first, and of course a
      Pratchett book will have Prachetty notes. Stephen Baxter seems to be
      one of the last few practitioners of Hard SF around, and his
      contributions here are noticeable. He's very good at the societal
      impacts of new technology and the Big Picture..."

      [WARNING: the full review contains spoilers. Many spoilers. Many,
      many spoilers. Do not read if you don't want to know too much about
      the story in advance! – Ed.]

      http://tinyurl.com/878zfg6

      Hsiang also offers a loving essay, "Bad Boys of the Multiverse: An
      Alternate Universe Reading Guide", about the rest of the best in
      multiverse-based science fiction and science fantasy. Well worth
      reading! It lives here:

      http://tinyurl.com/yanvbme

      7.2 SFX MAGAZINE'S REVIEW

      By Rob Power:

      "A far cry from the comic fantasies that made Pratchett a household
      name, The Long Earth reveals its intentions slowly, the
      possibilities of the endless Earths gradually becoming apparent. The
      central plot is wide-eyed exploratory SF in the American tradition,
      interspersed with stories of individuals and families whose lives
      are radically transformed by the prospect of a new life on an Earth
      far away.

      "It's a story that revels in big ideas... It also poses big
      questions: why have humans only evolved on our Earth? Are there
      other creatures out there? Where does the Long Earth end? What have
      potatoes got to do with anything? You can sense the excitement of
      the authors as they toy with the labyrinthine possibilities of their
      premise, and it's infectious. As a co-write, things go pretty
      smoothly. You can detect Pratchett's fingerprints in various gags
      and character quirks, just as you can sense Baxter's imagination
      at play as Lobsang and Joshua encounter strange new worlds together.
      It's an intoxicating combination, infusing proceedings with a
      great sense of purpose..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cfj9tce

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) REVIEW: PRATCHETT PRIZE WINNERS

      In The Daily Express, Mark Lawrence reviews Apocalypse Cow and Half
      Sick of Shadows and gives both a very high mark, 4.5 out of a
      possible 5:

      "The TPABHABNFN Awards first year has brought forth two diverse
      offerings, one entertaining and uproariously funny in places; the
      other intriguing, beautiful, and ultimately baffling..."

      On Michael Logan's novel, Apocalypse Cow:

      "Writing comedy is hard. One-liners are all well and good but you
      have to create characters that readers will care about. Fortunately,
      Michael Logan has done a solid job of writing and an excellent job
      of being funny..."

      On David Logan's Half-Sick Of Shadows:

      "David Logan writes magical lines, he works wonders with words,
      loops them around ideas and captures them whole for you. He also
      deploys the childs-eye view to highly amusing effect with innocent
      interpretation and offbeat observation. The first part... reads like
      literary fiction of high quality... Around the halfway point,
      strangeness sets in, credulity becomes strained, characters
      exaggerate into caricature but Logan has won such trust with a
      skilful opening that you're carried onward..."

      http://tinyurl.com/d2tkum2

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      09) HOW THEY MET: TERRY PRATCHETT AND STEPHEN BAXTER

      The two authors interviewed together by Adam Jacques in The
      Independent:

      "I'd read Terry's science-fiction novels from the early 1980s, in
      particular Strata, which stuck in my mind... I was never
      particularly a fan of the fantasy genre, but having read his
      science-fiction I followed his early Discworld novels, such as The
      Colour of Magic. It was big, expansive, adventure stuff, full of
      Dickensian wisdom that will long outlive us all. We met in 1992 at
      an Arthur C Clarke event in Minehead: he had on that black fedora
      hat even then. Over dinner we talked about sci-fi – between us
      we'd read all the sci-fi written since the 1930s, and that broke the
      ice. After that we'd go to sci-fi conventions together, while every
      year our publisher would put on a dinner and stick us together.
      Terry would say, "So what news of the quantum?" or "What are all
      these cosmologists banging on about now?" He was really interested
      in my background of hard science..." (Baxter)

      "What I love about Stephen's books is that they're not so much
      science-fiction as a reality that didn't quite happen... I liked
      doing the Discworld series, because I can do lots of things with it,
      but it isn't a 'what if...' [scenario], as Stephen's books are. I
      think it does Discworld good if I don't write about it all the time:
      sometimes you have to get it out of your system..." (Pterry)

      http://tinyurl.com/czgd3a6

      Pterry and that pig!

      http://tinyurl.com/8358frc

      And another lovely shot of the pair: http://tinyurl.com/bpcndl5

      Sir Pterry with his BAFTA award:

      http://tinyurl.com/cal7ogk

      Paul Kidby's delicious picture of Conina and Rincewind:

      http://tinyurl.com/cy5u6cc

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      11.1 SPEAKING OUT...

      In The Telegraph:

      "The author, who suffers from early-onset Alzheimer's disease,
      accused opponents – especially Churches – of relying on
      arguments about 'gas chambers' and 'jackboots'. He told a gathering
      of supporters of assisted dying in Zurich, Switzerland – home of
      the Dignitas clinic – that the steady stream of people from the UK
      travelling abroad to end their lives was the 'shame of Britain'. Sir
      Terry... told the congress of the World Federation of Right to Die
      Societies that the 'vast majority' of people in the UK supported
      assisted suicide but that politicians were cowed by a vocal minority
      of opponents. 'I have spoken about this many times and always there
      is vociferous opposition to the idea and ultimately the opposition
      is from a small number of people, usually associated with the
      churches,' said Sir Terry. 'Politicians take no notice nevertheless,
      and the opponents fill the air with dire warnings that elderly
      people would be persuaded to opt for an early death so as to release
      their money to the younger generation,' he said. 'The opposition is
      very good at asking questions, and absolutely very bad at listening
      to answers, a usual reaction to any suggestion being it would lead
      to the gas chambers, and amazingly some newspapers in England print
      this stuff without questioning how likely it is that the most stable
      of all democracies on the planet would allow the wholesale killing
      of the innocent.'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/7jedggp

      11.2 AND SPEAKING AT WORLD CONFERENCE ON EUTHANASIA

      "Representatives from around 45 countries are expected at the five-
      day congress of the World Federation of Right to Die Societies, held
      every two years. The venue of the 2012 meeting honours the 30th
      anniversary of Zurich-based group called Exit, a group carrying out
      assisted suicides in Switzerland where the practice is legal under
      certain conditions... The conference will hear from acclaimed
      British fantasy author Sir Terry Pratchett, himself diagnosed with
      Alzheimer's several years ago and patron of pro-choice group Dignity
      in Dying... Pratchett will address the conference during its open
      day on Friday along with Ludwig Minelli, founder of Swiss assisted
      suicide group Dignitas, and German writer Ueli Oswald whose father
      died with Exit... The congress, last held in Melbourne in 2010, will
      also see the detractors of assisted dying have their say..."

      http://tinyurl.com/8yl7xre

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) REVIEW: THE WORLD OF POO

      A loving and whimsical review by Derek the Scottish Geek of a
      lovable and whimsical book:

      "In fact I didn't think a world famous author such as Sir Terry
      Pratchett would release a book about that particular subject but
      here we are... the story follows the adventures of young Geoffrey as
      he learns about the various importance's of excrement from various
      sources including why dog muck especially the white stuff (whatever
      happened to that?) could be used in the process of making the very
      best leather. Geoffrey decides to start a museum dedicated to poo
      from every creature on the whole of the Discworld which to most of
      us would seem like a disgusting project but when seen through the
      eager young eyes of Geoffrey is conveyed as a hobby like any other
      and a damned interesting one at that...I can't actually believe I
      just said that. In fact I would go so far as to say that while
      reading this book I didn't feel disgusted even once..."

      http://scottishgeeks.com/the-world-of-poo-review/

      As quite a few of the items above are time-dependent, that's our lot
      for this early edition. We'll be back soon with your monthly
      horoscope, Around the Blogosphere, WOSSNAME's Long Earth review, and
      all the usual late breaking bits and pieces. Stay tuned!

      The End. If you have any questions or requests, write:
      interact@...