WOSSNAME -- Main issue -- October 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25 4:35 PM
      October 2011 (Volume 14, Issue 10, Post 1)
      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide
      Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano, L.C. Thomas

      "I have three policeman's helmets lined up in my study, gifts from
      policemen who are fans of Sam Vimes. I remember when I was touring,
      there would occasionally be the copper turning up in the book shop;
      they would never come through the front door, but via the staff
      entrance, and with a nod to the manager, after the queue had
      finished. And what they would say to me was so predictable that I
      could have almost said it for them. They would say things like, 'Oh,
      yes, [scathing laugh] we certainly have a Nobby Nobbs alright, and
      every nick has got a Sergeant Colon,' although I must report that
      the policeman who told me that was quite clearly a Sergeant Colon in
      his own right..."

      — Pterry, interviewed on BoingBoing by Neil Gaiman, October 2011

      "I hope that everyone in Discworld is a recognisable and
      understandable character and so sometimes I can present them with
      modern and contemporary problems, such as Mustrum Ridcully getting
      his head around homosexuality. In truth, I never have to go looking
      for this stuff; I turn to find it smacking me in the face..."

      — ibid.

      "If he was walking across St. Mark's Square with the Pope people
      would ask who was that old guy with Rob."

      — a tribute to the inestimable Williki-, um, Mr Wilkins from his
      employer, October 2011

      Wotcha, O readers! This month's issue is so full of news and reviews
      and, well, stuff that scary terms such as "action-packed" and
      "bumper" spring to mind. It's also a larger than usual issue, so my
      plans for a long editorial have been pushed to the side. Instead,
      I'll just say "enjoy"!

      On with the show...

      – Annie Mac

      3.1 Rolling on the river!

      Remember last month's announcement of the literal launch of Snuff on
      a paddleboat on a river (September main issue, item 4.1)? Here be a
      marvellous recap by the Bookwitch:

      "But when Commander Vimes requests one's company on a paddle
      steamer it's hard to say no. So I said yes. And after I'd read
      the book about the Commander's latest adventures I got quite
      worried and had to check there wasn't going to be that kind of
      action on Wednesday night. Was reassured about the planned
      sedateness of it all... After all that praise Terry had to say
      something. Not sure he had prepared a speech, and his microphone
      technique left some of it inaudible to some. Not me. I was that
      close. He asked us to convey his thanks to Mrs P, further down the
      boat, for allowing him to go out and play every day. Write. Then he
      cried a bit and that was that. We resorted to applause to prevent
      ourselves from joining him..."

      [Includes many photographs of Roundworld's version of the Wonderful,
      um, Francesca, of The Author himself, and of London as seen from the
      Thames as darkness falls...]

      3.2 Exclusive eye-and-ear-witness reports!

      This is from longtime Pratchett fan, essayist and ABP poster Tamar,
      who has also sent in some photos from the event to WOSSNAME's online

      "I went to the local Washington, D.C.-area SF convention, Capclave,
      and heard that Sir Terry was going to be there for an hour
      (literally on the way to the airport).

      "The 'Talk with Terry' was much like some others that have already
      been on YouTube from other appearances, but there were some
      different bits, such as Rob saying which lines in Snuff were his
      favorites, and two readings — Sir Terry wanted to him to do the tea
      party and Rob wanted to do the Crockett game again as well. The
      Capclave talk is on YouTube already!

      "Since much of the talk turned out to be about the experience of
      making the death documentary, there were only a couple of audience
      questions. I managed to scoot up next to Sir Terry in the hallway
      and ask my question about Lord Vetinari getting darker. He said
      Vetinari is not getting so much darker as more cynical, and that his
      harshness toward Moist von Lipwig is necessary because Moist is a
      criminal and it's very hard to make him change. I fumbled with my
      new-to-me camera while Sir Terry stopped by a vendor and a moment
      later he kindly waited and posed for the close-up picture with the
      Crowley-esque hat decorations. He and Rob then left for the

      (Tamar also says that Sir Pterry's PCA hasn't affected his public
      performance yet: "I hung out with him at the 2000 Worldcon in
      Chicago, and at a con or two since then... it's still true that his
      speech is just as clear now as it was then.")

      *** http://tinyurl.com/6x32vs9

      3.3 Sympathy for the, erm, evil!

      On the culture/current events/critical thinking blogsite Scholars
      and Rogues, Gavin Chait, who attended Pterry's October 18th
      appearance at Drury Lane's Theatre Royal, has posted an incisive
      essay titled "Terry Pratchett and the redemption of the Orcs":

      "Pratchett's compassion and tenderness with his characters is what
      draws me to them, long after the gags and fantasy have lost their
      ability to surprise. As he grapples with Alzheimer's he is also
      grappling with literature and life's more intractable problems.
      Adventures need villains. If we are to be the hero then we must cast
      someone else in the role of monster. We need to cheer on one side to
      the detriment of the other...

      "Orcs and Goblins were invented so that we could definitively have
      something to hate and that we did not need to feel that we should
      empathise, that we should understand or to look for their needs and
      grievances. If something is of its very nature evil then we have no
      complicity or involvement in their becoming what they are. Real life
      is never that obvious or simple. Pratchett, even as he grapples with
      the worst illness of the 21st century, demonstrates once more that
      fearful majorities are capable of terrible cruelty. He does not
      condemn, he does not judge. He offers compassion, empathy and the
      recognition that we are reflections and interconnections of each

      4.1 NEWS

      The Bookseller reports that Snuff is selling as fast as a fast-
      selling thing:

      "Terry Pratchett's Snuff (Doubleday) has become one of the fastest-
      selling novels since records began, shifting 54,687 copies at UK
      book retail outlets in its three days on sale last week. Helped by
      extensive pre-orders and a £5 deal at Tesco, Pratchett's 39th
      Discworld novel has the biggest opening week sale from a hardback
      adult-audience novel since Transworld stablemate Dan Brown's The
      Lost Symbol (Bantam Press) in 2009. Along with Brown, only one other
      novel has sold more copies in its first week on shelves since
      records began: Thomas Harris' Hannibal (Heinemann) sold 58,300
      copies in four days after its release in June 1999.

      "Transworld managing director Larry Finlay said: '[Pratchett] is now
      firmly established as one of the nation's most important and
      widely read authors, with so much to say about the world in which we
      live. I couldn't be more delighted that with Snuff, Terry now
      joins a very select band of record-breakers'..."

      ...and the update confirms Snuff as the fastest-ever hardcover:

      "Terry Pratchett's Snuff (Doubleday) was narrowly the bestselling
      book in the UK last week, outselling Martina Cole's 18th novel, The
      Faithless (Headline), by just 768 copies. Snuff, which last week
      became the fastest-selling hardback novel by a British novelist
      since records began, sold 31,904 copies in its first full week in UK
      bookshops, while Cole's The Faithless (Headline) scored sales of
      31,136 copies in its opening week in stores..."

      In The Independent, a moment — or more exactly, a minute — from
      Pterry's book tour:

      "What distracts you from writing?

      "Everybody. It's a very unusual day that isn't more or less shredded
      by demands on my time. In my heart I ought to be home writing, but
      the rest of my body is doing the US tour for 'Snuff', the latest
      Discworld book...

      "What are your readers like when you meet them?

      "Far less strange than journalists would have you imagine..."

      A delightful BBC live interview, in which The Author discusses
      Vimes' inner Watchman, and the relationship between a verbal-by-
      necessity storyteller and his Hex. This video is not region-locked
      and can thus be enjoyed by WOSSNAME-ers around the world:

      4.2 REVIEWS

      By AS Byatt in The Guardian:

      "Pratchett has written several stories set on the Discworld in which
      ill-treated, unconsidered species are described and explained and
      admitted to society. In Feet of Clay, and Making Money, Miss Adora
      Belle Dearheart runs the Golem Trust, and golems develop from being
      clay automatons to beings with thoughts and language. In Unseen
      Academicals Mr Nutt is an orc, a creature capable of great violence,
      who has become an erudite and resourceful hero. In the early books,
      Captain Vimes was capable of easy 'speciesism' at the expense of the
      dwarves and trolls, gargoyles and zombies who make up the Watch...
      In Snuff it is the goblins who are the centre of attention: they are
      a dim, feeble collection of creatures who smell very bad and live in
      a mess in dark holes, stealing chickens and other things. They are
      not classified as human, or sentient beings, and so can be bought,
      sold and enslaved. Predictably and agreeably, Vimes takes up the
      cudgel on their behalf... One advantage of a continuing world full
      of people and creatures is that they can develop in a leisurely way.
      The character who does that in Snuff is Willikins, the Vimes's
      butler, who when he first appeared was stiff and very formal, trying
      to shave Vimes, who forbade him. In Jingo, one of the best of the
      series, he joins Lord Rust's army to fight the Klatchians in the
      desert, and bites off an enemy nose. In this book he turns out to
      have the same streetwise background as his employer, and a
      collection of hidden and unusual weapons. He can deal with the
      villain in ways his employer, inhibited by professional rules,

      By Cory Doctorow at BoingBoing:

      "Snuff, Terry Pratchett's latest Discworld novel is an absolute
      treat, as per usual. It's a Sam Vimes book (there are many recurring
      characters in the Discworld series, whose life stories intermingle,
      braid and diverge — Sam Vimes is an ex-alcoholic police chief who
      has married into nobility) and that means that it's going to be a
      story about class, about law, and about justice, and the fact that
      Pratchett can make a serious discourse on these subjects both funny
      and gripping and never trivial is as neat a summary of why we love
      him as much as we do..."

      By Kerry Fried in the Washington Post:

      "A full-on Vimes vehicle, 'Snuff' begins with a shock as our hero is
      chucked out of his office. Happily, this is only a matter of a two-
      week stay at his wife Sybil's stately home. Unhappily, he loathes
      the countryside. If only some crime would crop up amid all the
      'allegedly glorious fresh air.' There's certainly enough suspicious
      behavior around, and yokels and aristos alike get noticeably shifty
      every time the conversation swings around to goblins. Foul-looking
      and worse-smelling, these creatures have an off-putting religion
      'founded on the sanctity of bodily secretions' and are resigned,
      their only champion laments, 'to undeserved and casual death.' One
      such murder leads Vimes to uncover a vast, twisty conspiracy. As he
      tries to bring the villains to justice, 'Snuff' daringly links the
      demonization of goblins to two of the worst crimes in human history:
      slavery and the Holocaust. Some might be offended, but Pratchett
      doesn't make such connections lightly. His first Discworld book may
      have been a frolic, but his magic has long since been set in strong
      moral mortar..."

      By Farren Miller in Locus:

      "Over the course of Terry Pratchett's long career in humorous
      fantasy, the City Watch of Ankh-Morpork has gone through its own
      changes, rarely as slapstick as the titles of books like Thud! and
      now the equally-monosyllabic Snuff might suggest. The traditional
      hatreds between dwarves and trolls, werewolves and vampires, etc.,
      don't immediately die down when they come together in the supposed
      melting-pot of urban life, any more than English and Irish, or rich
      and poor, come to view enmity as old-hat in Victorian London. And
      only the most starry-eyed idealist would expect things to be better
      in the countryside. Samuel Vimes, still head of the Watch despite
      the marriage to Lady Sybil that brought him wealth and social status
      as well as true love, grew up a street kid with very little patience
      for ideals of any kind... In Snuff he is supposed to be enjoying the
      idleness of a family holiday on her estate, though he mistrusts
      leisure. But how can he put his instincts as a city cop to use amid
      all this unfamiliar greenery, herds of tame animals, and mysterious
      bursts of birdsong?

      "While not officially YA, Snuff revels in jokes about snot, poo, and
      pee to an extent that should delight most boys, exasperate the more
      finicky sort of girls, and dismay some grannies (if their last
      name's not Weatherwax). But it's all in good fun..."

      By Francis Spufford in the London Evening Standard:

      "Watching Pratchett grow his characters, over 39 novels, has been
      like seeing recombinant narrative genetics running with almost
      magical efficiency at almost magical speed. Where other writers are
      delighted if they come up with just a handful of comic figures with
      self-sustaining life in them – Don Quixote and Sancho, the three
      men in the boat, Pooh and Piglet and Eeyore – Pratchett breeds
      them by the score. All those who live, he adds to the permanent
      cast. There's never been anything quite like it. Even Dickens didn't
      keep carrying forward his successes till Edwin Drood was rubbing
      shoulders with Oliver Twist and Mr Pickwick. Terry Pratchett does...

      "Snuff is a Vimes novel. Reviewerly protocol demands that I not give
      away any of its contents in detail, so I'll just say that it
      features the countryside, Jane Austen, slavery, river boats, snot,
      tobacco and a lot of fisticuffs. It also features a Vimes who, for
      the first time, feels as if he has acquired more indestructibility,
      more elaborated superlative Vimes-ish-ness, than can be kept in
      harmoniously plausible balance with his setting..."

      By Mark Lawerence in the Daily Express:

      "Terry Pratchett has a way with words. Like the children's
      entertainer with the balloons he can take a familiar phrase and with
      a few deft twists create a new plaything better than all the
      contents of your party bag. To perform that trick once or twice is
      good. To sustain it throughout a whole book is remarkable. To keep
      it fresh into the 39th volume of a series deserves a knighthood...
      It is not unusual for Pratchett to hold the Discworld up as a mirror
      in which he can satirise everything from the iniquitous to the
      innocuous in our own world. In Snuff, the critique is perhaps more
      heavy-handed. We learn that oppressing minorities (goblins) is bad
      and that the class system, along with the uneven distribution of
      wealth, are neither big nor clever..."

      In case you'd miss it, Reader Japester's lovely short review, in the
      comments section of Gaiman's interview of Pterry (item 5, below):

      "It was a good read. There is a lot more visibility into what's
      going on inside Sam Vimes' head this time around, and conversations
      with other well known cast members, who have only played bit parts
      until now. The writing style was also a little different from what I
      am used to, from pTerry. Not in a bad way, but different enough to
      make you sit up and realise that this man's brain will never stop
      working, adapting to the ever changing world, and making it a better

      (second comment in the Oldest replies)

      ...and from Russia with Discworld love, on the Book Haven site, the
      review by OV20, kindly translated for all you non-Russian speakers
      out there by WOSSNAME's roving reporter L.C. Thomas:

      "Of all the heroes from Terry Pratchett and his Discworld, I love
      Sam Vimes the most. It isn't that the others aren't great, but it's
      only Vimes that you can reread and reread and love completely.

      "In the new novel (39th in the Discworld series, eighth in the
      stories about the Guard and its commander) Sam Vimes is finally sent
      to the countryside for a well-deserved holiday. A fortnight. In the
      idyllic pastoral country estate, Ramkin Manor, he will enjoy the
      view, take the air, go to balls, hear about Young Sam's latest
      obsession (different kinds of poo) and otherwise enjoy life. And no
      work allowed. Vimes of course, suffers, and instinct suggests that a
      peaceful and quiet holiday is doubtful...

      "You know, considering my love for Sam Vimes, a plot isn't even
      necessary for me — he can just wander here and there, eat bacon
      sandwiches, curse social stratification and raise his son. But
      there's also quite a detective story, concerning questions of human
      rights and non-human rights, which I squealed most of the way
      through. And a few genres other than detective are touched on - for
      instance, Pratchett mocks books about English villages in the 19th
      century (there is a family with five daughters, four of whom are
      waiting around for suitors, and the fifth of whom became a
      woodcutter), and even his own work, a little (for example, the
      Patrician's main storyline concerns a crossword he is unable to
      solve). And all of this is done with his eternally subtle humour,
      with at least every second line being quotable.

      "I always feel awful translating Pratchett, it's a Sisyphean task,
      it's a futile and thankless job, because it does not translate well,
      and the fans are likely to mock the results. And in this case the
      translation hell begins with the title, which by itself has more
      than one meaning. [There follows a sentence that I can't quite work
      out that seems to be about the Russian title being a pun based on
      some old Soviet cartoon... not sure though... – L.C.T.]

      "Only because there is already one book of genius in the Discworld
      cycle (Night Watch, of course) does this get less than five stars."

      In which Mr Gaiman puts assorted questions about Snuff and other
      things, and gets assorted answers:

      "NG: How has the Discworld changed over the years?

      "TP: I suppose the simple answer is that there is still humour, but
      the gags are no longer set up; they are derived from characters'
      personalities and situations. These days the humour seems to arrive
      of its own accord.

      "NG: How has writing the Discworld novels changed how you see the

      "TP: I think it more true that getting older changes how you see the
      world. There is stuff in Snuff, for example, that I couldn't have
      written at twenty-five. Although I had written things before
      Discworld, I really leaned writing, on the job as it were, on
      Discworld. I think that the books are, if not serious, dealing with
      more serious subjects. These days it's not just for laughs. My
      world view had changed; sometimes I feel that the world is made up
      of sensible people who know that plot and bloody idiots who don't.
      Of course, all Discworld fans know the plot by heart!

      "NG: How has writing the Discworld novels changed how the world sees

      "TP: Has it? My agent pointed out one day that I had been quoted by
      a columnist in some American newspaper, and he noted with some glee
      that they simply identified me by name without reminding people who
      I was, apparently in the clear expectation that their readers would
      know who I am..."

      To read this excellent interview in its entirety, go to:

      The British Fantasy Society have chosen Terry Pratchett for their
      2011 Karl Edward Wagner Special Award in recognition of his lifetime
      contribution to the genre of fantasy:

      "National disability and e-accessibility Charity, AbilityNet, is
      delighted to welcome Digital Champion Martha Lane Fox and
      bestselling fantasy author Sir Terry Pratchett OBE as Patrons,
      announces Chairman Dr Michael R Taylor. Martha Lane Fox, whose Race
      Online 2012 campaign aims to facilitate internet access for all UK
      citizens and Sir Terry Pratchett, himself a keen user of adapted
      computer technology, are both enthusiastic supporters of the
      Charity's work with disabled people and those with accessibility
      needs. Says Martha: 'Nearly half of the 8.7 million adults in the UK
      who have never used the Internet are disabled... For those with
      limited mobility, the internet is a vital link with the outside
      world as I discovered for myself when recovering from a serious

      "'Discworld' creator, Sir Terry Pratchett, has become a devotee of
      voice recognition technology since losing his ability to type
      effectively – a symptom of his Alzheimer's diagnosis. He said
      recently that should his dexterity return he would have absolutely
      no interest in returning to the keyboard: 'I'm on my third book
      using this technology – it's my right hand now!'..."

      To read the rest of the press release:

      To learn more about AbilityNet, go to:

      Third Sector, "the UK's leading publication for everyone who needs
      to know what's going on in the voluntary and not-for-profit
      sector", has chosen Sir Terry Pratchett as Celebrity Charity
      Champion BMAC (which stands for Britain's Most Admired Charity) of
      2011. The runner-up was newsreader and youth charity advocate Jon
      Snow, and the Beefster (legendary cricketer and cancer research
      fundraiser Sir Ian Botham) took third place:

      "Sir Terry Pratchett is somewhat uncomfortable about winning an
      award as a 'celebrity'. He simply doesn't view himself as a
      celebrity. 'A celebrity is someone sitting in a jungle, eating
      worms,' he says. It's not him. The author found international fame
      for books including the Discworld fantasy novels, but it's his work
      on behalf of dementia charities that has landed him the celebrity
      charity champion prize... Jeremy Hughes, chief executive of the
      Alzheimer's Society, says that Pratchett's willingness to speak
      about his experience has created a greater sense of openness about
      the disease. 'Somebody in the public eye saying `look, I'm going
      to tell you about it and how I'm going to live my life as a result'
      was really significant,' says Hughes... perhaps the most public
      statement Pratchett can make is to carry on writing: his new novel
      Snuff has just been published. 'One of the things I thought I should
      do is to continue doing my job,' he says. 'You're up there as a kind
      of figurehead.' Hughes appreciates the example. 'What Terry has said
      is that, with the right kind of support, he can live with his
      dementia,' he says..."

      (The page includes a video of Pterry's "acceptance speech" at home,
      as he wryly polishes his shiny new award. The six-minute video is
      sweet, often funny, and deeply moving – rather like a certain
      series of satirical fantasy novels we all know – Ed.)

      ...and here be a piece by Stephen Cook, a former colleague, about
      the man and the award:

      "My visit with our cameraman Tas was to record him receiving his
      award as Celebrity Charity Champion in Third Sector's Britain's Most
      Admired Charity Awards: he wasn't able to come to the awards night
      because he was doing An Evening with Terry Pratchett in the theatre
      that night. It wasn't my first meeting with him: in the seventies,
      four young journalists including him and me did the 40-mile Lyke
      Wake Walk across the North York Moors together. As we slogged for
      seventeen hours across the boggy expanses of Fylingdales and
      Goathland, Terry moaned a lot. So did the rest of us...

      "Perhaps the most impressive thing about him now is the way he faces
      his predicament. He recalled coming back from his diagnosis four
      years ago wondering "who shall I tell?" and deciding "everyone." He
      mused about whether it takes greater courage to be open about your
      illness or to keep it to yourself, but, either way, he has chosen
      not to shy away from it. He said he plays a game of sorts with
      interviewers: he knows they want at some stage to talk about
      Alzheimers, and watches them circling round it. And sometimes he
      puts them out of their misery by raising the subject himself..."

      A feature on "Sir Pratchett"** in Varsity, the online magazine of
      Brazene-, erm, Cambridge University:

      "Anyone who has read any 'Discworld' novels knows that they
      contain many neologisms, so he has had to `teach' his computer
      some of his vocabulary, in order for the software to be useful. He
      also experiences difficulties in reading, particularly with page-
      turning, and has needed other people to read his speeches on his
      behalf. For someone whose livelihood for the past forty-six years
      has depended on writing, losing the ability to write must be

      ** Emily Smith, the article's writer and therefore presumably a
      student at a cream-of-the-crop institution that's been going almost
      as long as the peerage itself, really ought to have researched the
      proper etiquette for titles. Ah, these youngsters today, hmm...
      — Ed.

      By Annie Mac

      This is going to be a very, very, very short preliminary review,
      owing to 1) lack of space (see Editorial) and 2) no sign yet of the
      typed reports promised by the other players. So I will just briefly
      say that four of us (myself, Moggrat, the Dean, and Lipwigzer)
      played a long and delightful inaugural round of "Ankh-Morpork",
      great fun was had by all, and the game was won by Lipwigzer, despite
      his being the least familiar of us with the source material.

      In brief: "Ankh-Morpork" looks wonderful. It's a very classy
      production, with well-made pieces, luxurious-looking and -feeling
      cards, and a beautiful board. The rules are quite complicated but
      not overly dense or arcane, and figuring them out (and making
      mistakes, accidentally or, um, less accidentally) is a large part of
      the fun value. Play goes fairly rapidly, keeping the interest up,
      and to judge from our experience, the game can be enjoyed by players
      at all levels of Discworld familiarity. All of us are looking
      forward to playing again — a big plus, that! — and will do so
      next weekend.

      More to come. WOSSNAME thanks Treefrog Games for their kind gift of
      a "test drive" copy of Ankh-Morpork, since it's not officially on
      sale in Fourecks yet!

      Remember, Treefrog Games' "Ankh-Morpork" is available from retailers
      including Eclectic Games. Priced at £29.99, it can be ordered
      online as a superb Hogswatch present:

      10.1 SADWCON NEWS

      "There is so much to say, everything turned out great! As the
      organising lot we managed to jump some scary last minute hurdles,
      managed to get a drop of sleep and definitely managed to have a
      fantastic time. A big thanks to the team; no team, no event! We had
      a bunch of fans, a HAT full of fans, more fans than we had
      realistically expected. The turn-out was great; in total (off the
      top of my head) there were 88 ticket holders through the door! An
      enthusiastic bunch, many dressed up, took part in the pub-quizz, the
      auction and the raffle. In the end we raised around R6000 for our
      two charities... Graced as we were by the presence of Rob's mug on
      the screen, he face was there too. He read to us from Snuff, he
      answered questions and he raffled off his cups. Possibly the most
      envied person about, I for one know, I'd give my left leg to hop-
      about as Sir Terry's assistant..."

      And the ever-ebullient Laura Kitty-Cat Shortridge, initiator and
      organiser of this Event, made a long, thorough blogpost about it
      (including a very impressive iconograph of the lady herself as a
      very impressive Angua, accompanied by some also-impressive very
      small Feegle impersonators, and then lots and lots of other
      impressive iconographs of many people who really put their hearts
      into the costuming):

      "The next few weeks involved frantic and confused emails being sent
      back and fourth between about 4-7 people at any given time. With a
      two month deadline and one of our most important committee members
      living several hundred miles away, I privately suspect Sir Terry and
      Rob must have thought we were over-ambitious lunatics. But we didn't
      do too badly after all. Between work, studies and sorting out our
      own costumes, we organized pamphlets and tshirts, mugs, keyrings,
      post-its and post cards, all with the the official SADWE logo on
      them...And none of which arrived. Thankfully some things did not get
      lost in the famous South African Postal Service, possibly because
      they were hand-delivered by Chris Boote himself about a week before
      the event. Pin badges, figurines and board games were sorted. One
      hundred special issue SADWE stamps courtesy of Cunning Artificer
      Bernard gave us minor heart failure as we discovered we couldn't
      find them the night before the event..."

      As for the convention itself next year, here's what's planned so

      To register, and for further info:

      Some photos of last month's convention, apparently posted by Death
      himself ("Tod"):

      10.3. DWCON 2012 NEWS

      Hotel rooms are going fast!

      "Hotel rooms at the Hilton Metropole Hotel, Birmingham are rapidly
      selling out, if you wish to book a room at the Metropole please
      don't delay. Details of pricing and how to book are on the
      Convention website on the hotel information page. No payment is
      taken when booking your room (although you will need to provide card
      details to secure the booking), So why wait? If you have any
      questions about your room booking please email hotel@...."

      "The good people running next years Discworld Convention have
      announced the following price rise: From the 31st October the
      membership price rises, from the current bargain rate of £53 (£36
      concessions), to £58 (£39 concessions) which is still a bargain
      for all the fun and frolics you will have. Please note memberships
      are going quicker than a witch chased by a familiar so don't be
      scared, come and buy now while you still have a chance."

      To buy your membership:

      10.4 IDWCON NEWS

      As Pterry can't make the Irish Discworld Convention this time,
      primary Guest of Honour will be Bernard Pearson — Cunning
      Artificer, storyteller par excellence, and a well-loved appreciator
      of, erm, Irish refreshments. Rod Brown, executive producer of the
      three extant Discworld telefilms, will also be attending this year.

      The Brisbane Arts Theatre continue their production of Monstrous
      Regiment in October and November 2011.

      When: Thursday 27th-Saturday 29th; Sunday 30th (Halloween night
      special); Thursday 3rd November- Saturday 5th November
      Venue: Brisbane Arts Theatre, 210 Petrie Terrace, Brisbane QLD 4000
      Time: 8pm all performances except the Halloween night special on
      Sunday 30th October, which starts at 5pm
      Tickets: Adults $31, Concessions & groups of 10+ $25, Members $20,
      Halloween night $40
      Bookings: 3369 2344 / bookings@...
      To book online: http://www.artstheatre.com.au/index.php?page_id=20

      The Grantham Dramatic Society will present their production of Going
      Postal in November and December.

      When: November 30th, December 1st to 3rd 2011
      Venue: Guildhall Arts Centre, Grantham
      Time: 7.30pm nightly
      Tickets: Wednesday 30th November £8.00/£7.00 concessions
      Thursday 1st to Saturday 3rd December: £9.00/8.00 concessions
      "SPECIAL OFFER! Group discount: book 8 tickets or more and get £1
      off every ticket. Please note, group discounts are not available
      when booking online!"

      For more information, contact info@...

      Harleston Players' recent production of Maskerade raised £265 for
      the Alzheimer's Society:

      "The money was raised through audience donations when the Players
      performed Terry Pratchett's play Maskerade in May, as well as a
      raffle for one of the cast members – a cat puppet which played the
      part of Greebo. Mike Davison, director of the show, said: 'We chose
      the society for our fundraising as Terry Pratchett suffers from
      Alzheimer's. Helen Farrar, who produced the show, also works for
      Studio Landia day centre, which provides day care for the elderly,
      including those with Alzheimer's.'..."

      Walterdale Playhouse will be performing Wyrd Sisters in
      Edmonton, Alberta, Canada from 30th November to 10th December 2011.

      Tickets are $12.00 CAD to $16.00 CAD. To book, and for more
      information, go to:

      The City of Small Gods Terry Pratchett Fan Club meets on the last
      Thursday of the month from 6.30pm at the Ed Castle, 233 Currie St,
      Adelaide (South Australia). The next meeting will be on 27th
      October. Details, discussions and organisation of extra
      events (such as play outings) are held on their email mailing list,
      so do sign up at:

      The next meeting of the Broken Drummers, London's original Discworld
      meeting group, will be from 7pm on 7th November 2011 at the Monkey
      Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London W2 1JQ.

      Drummers Downunder meet on the first Monday of every month in Sydney
      at Maloneys, corner of Pitt & Goulburn Streets, at 6.30pm. The next
      meeting will be on 7th November 2011. For more information, contact
      Sue (aka Granny Weatherwax) on kenworthys@...

      Perth Drummers meet on the traditional of first Monday of the month.
      The next meeting will be from 6pm on 7th November 2011 at The
      Vic Hotel, 226 Hay St, Subiaco. For more information contact:
      Daniel Hatton at daniel_j_hatton@...

      Editor's note: all discussions below are from LiveJournal's
      "Discworld" community, except for the last one (item 13.6).

      Snuff Observation: Woah, His Grace sure has lightened up about how
      he interacts with his wife! I'd been wondering how in hell Young Sam
      managed to get conceived....

      Yes! I wondered the exact same thing too, that Sam's interactions
      with his wife seemed markedly different! :)

      I haven't read anything beyond the preview, yet, but I thought he
      really started lightening up about being affectionate (at least in
      private) in Jingo. It's just that pre-Klatch, he didn't seem to
      actually understand why in the heck his wife would even *want* to
      spend any time around him.

      I always thought it was particularly cute that when he got back from
      Klatch, he kissed her repeatedly, almost like he didn't realize
      quite how much he missed her and needed her until he wasn't in the
      city and couldn't just stroll home.

      I always assumed he was just a bit dense about how marriages
      functioned because he didn't get to see his parents together while
      growing up and his only other marital role model was Fred Colon and
      his wife, who deliberately work different shifts. He seems to labor
      under the misconception that "if we aren't actually arguing,
      everything's okay, isn't it?" up until Sybil has that talk with him
      in Jingo. And keep in mind, if Watch business hadn't interrupted,
      there would have been a makeup *cough* "evening in" in the works
      right after that talk.

      I have still squeed repeatedly while reading the online preview,

      "I always thought it was particularly cute that when he got back
      from Klatch, he kissed her repeatedly" Wait, was this an explicitly
      stated scene in Jingo? I don't remember coming across it in my
      reread last month.

      He kissed her twice before having his bath.

      In Jingo I thought it was because the Disorganiser had shown him an
      alternative trouser leg where he would never go home and kiss her -
      and where she too probably would be killed soon after, if not
      before, him, because I can't see Sybil not resisting the invasion.

      Yep, those two things definitely aren't mutually exclusive to my way
      of thinking. He was, for the first time in his marriage, forced to
      be away from his wife for a period. Whether he consciously thought
      about it or not, as long as he was in Ankh-Morpork, even if he was
      working overnight or distracted by police work, he could just decide
      to walk X number of streets home or to the Sanctuary and see her, so
      he kind of takes that for granted.

      Even without the Disorganizer showing him the alternative(s) if he
      failed to prevent an invasion, he still had to know, on some level,
      that he might die in Klatch or on the boat and never make it home.
      The Disorganizer's alternate trouser leg was probably an explicit
      way of raising the stakes, though, because... well, if The Fifth
      Elephant proves anything, it's "If you want to make Vimes go totally
      thermonuclear, threaten his wife. Would you like the pieces we can
      find to be cremated or buried?".

      Personally, I'm kind of mystified when people aren't convinced he
      loves Sybil after reading Men At Arms. I mean, the man is a solid
      copper, he eats, breathes and sleeps being a copper. Being a copper
      is who Sam Vimes is. Keep in mind he has zero clue that anyone is
      going to create the office of Commander of the Watch and that he's
      going to fill it. He marries Sybil knowing full well that part and
      parcel of marrying her is that he retires from being a copper. In
      other words, he was willing to give up being a copper. Giving up
      drink was one thing, but giving up being a copper is like giving up
      the oxygen habit for him. He's willing to try that. For Sybil.

      I always assumed that Sybil sort of managed everything.

      Well, she *is* one of the Ladies Who Organize.

      I thought it was because he's on holiday. In the other books, he's
      on the job 24/8. Especially in the sorts of situations we're reading
      about, there are many exciting and important things going on, any
      quiet moments with Sybil wouldn't get any screentime, for want of a
      better term.

      I think by the time of Snuff they have been married at *least* 7+1
      years. That's plenty of time for Vimes to 've sussed out how to
      lighten up, LOL!

      They're definitely more outwardly affectionate. Which is great,
      because they're my Discworld OTP of OTPs.

      He's a practiced daddy, now, which might have a lot to do with it,
      too. While the wife might understand "Not now, dear, I'm busy being
      Commander and I'm afraid I might look silly in front of the Watch if
      I admit I have a personal life." but the kid is just not going to
      understand that you currently have worries about looking a fool in
      front of your employees if you're making silly faces at them and

      I think after ~7 years of marriage, Sybil and Sam have realized that
      (gasp!) sex can be fun and not just procreation. I've heard this
      occasionally happens to some* married people.

      *They are lucky and blessed, and never tell their friends how happy
      they are, in fear of Something Terrible Happening.

      If there's a, aha, 'Snuff' film... They MUST cast Fry and Laurie as
      Willikins and Vimes. MUST, DAMMIT

      Oh, I wholeheartedly concur! It would be brilliant!

      My God, that would be perfect.

      I second that. Wholeheartedly. It was my first thought at the
      "gentleman's gentleman" comment.

      :D YES. If not, we could have BBC drama with them too.

      Why? Is Sam Vimes totally and utterly out of character in 'Snuff'?

      No, Speaker, absolutely not. It's more that the interplay between
      Vimes and Willikins is an exact parallel between Hugh and Stephen in
      their earlier works.

      Now I've got Fry as Vimes, and Laurie as Willikins, in my head.

      You know what? The reverse wouldn't be bad either :D I don't know, I
      can see Fry as Willikins ;D

      I think Hugh Laurie would be even better as King Verence! He has the
      perfect look. But I agree Stephen Fry would make a perfect
      Willikins. Even better as Willikins than he was as Jeeves IMHO :-)

      13.3 COVER ART

      "Snuff" cover – Is this the first time that the US and UK editions
      of a Pratchett novel got the same cover illustration?

      Yes. And I dearly hope it will not be the last. (After all, it's
      just freakin' sensible.)

      And given that it's Kidby doing the cover, just plain more awesome.
      I'm not a huge fan of the boring U.S. paperback covers, for example.
      Evidently there's been at least one Snuff cover variant, with Vimes
      peeking out of a porthole, but it was on a version that was
      exclusive to a U.K. seller and had a copy of A Collegiate Casting-
      Out Of Devilish Devices included. Or so I read. I almost want to
      frame the standard Snuff cover. The colors alone are gorgeous.

      The first I purchased the 2 books (The Light Fantastic and Color of
      Magic) from the Science Fiction Book Club in the 80's and they have
      the original Kirby art work. Every other edition has featured
      "alternative" art work. I am glad they have finally given us the
      real thing.

      I hope the reprint all of them with the "correct" art.

      Probably won't happen, but it'd be SO AWESOME if it did. And I'd be
      out a LOT of money... :)

      [mentioned the Guardian interview (see Late Breaking news, item 1,

      Thanks so much for linking us to this! It's a wonderful interview.
      It makes me love him more than ever. Narrativia bless him.

      I think I want a statuette of Narrativia for when the Muse is
      misbehaving :D

      His list of planned books, none of which are Discworld novels, is
      especially fascinating.

      Pratchett is writing a book set in Victorian London?? GIMME!!!

      PTerry is a national treasure :-)

      I disagree. World treasure :-P

      I want him to stay around forever ;_;

      I think we all do.

      I absolutely need a statue of Narrativia...though I think she should
      be holding a martini rather than a cigarette. Or a daiquiri, that
      would be okay, too... I always think of Lela/Anoia when I think of
      goddesses with cigarettes.

      Oh, yes. Maybe some sort of vessel of mysterious content - could be
      caffine to give you a kick or wine to relax the concious mind or
      indeed a daiquiri if that's your personal taste :D Agreed, Anoia
      seems to have that covered - her and the mortal but kickass Spike.

      So my local SF club puts on Capclave, our annual convention
      (_http://capclave.org/_). pTerry happened to be in town this weekend
      during the convention. He had a free hour, so he came to the
      con. We rearranged programming and he gave a talk/reading (OK, his
      assistant did the actual reading) during his hour. Both my daughter
      and I got about 10 seconds with him after his talk. Still so

      I said, "You do know we all love you?"
      He said, "But only platonically."
      I said, "Oh no, if I weren't too old, I'd have your baby."

      Unfortunately, his voice is too soft and I am losing my hearing, so
      the only word of his response that I caught was, "tonight". Since
      he was on his way to catching a plane, I don't think it was
      serious. My daughter was all, "Motherrrr!"

      I'd have his babies too! He's one gorgeous man...as is Rob. I could
      listen to Rob reading for hours.

      Hell, *I* would have his babies.

      13.6 SNUFF REPORTS

      From ABP:

      Having now finished Snuff myself – I think its very good in parts
      and generally good overall. It will probably improve with re-
      reading when I am no longer trying to anticipate where the story is
      going. More thoughts later as they say...

      – Reader in Invisible Writings

      Likewise, the only negative criticism I'd give it is that it has
      slightly too much in, I felt that the story didn't quite have room
      to breathe. Or that may be because I was reading it too fast!

      – Jaimie

      Indeed. Unusually I have decided upon an immediate re-read and have
      picked up two 'gems' that I missed (because I would not recognise
      them until later). Also I reprised what we had learnt about Goblins
      in UU when mention of them was a misdirection from the Orc, and it
      ties in so beautifully!

      – Reader in Invisible Writings

      Going too fast on a first-read of a new Pratchett story? *I'd* never
      do that (yeah, right!) My usual practice is to read it twice, the
      second time a little slower, to make sure I catch anything I missed
      on the first go-round. That's planned for next week – I like to give
      books a little time to settle.

      – Chris Z

      As I said, already re-reading and enjoying it even more...

      – Reader in Invisible Writings

      Really, this should be in the Discworld Games section, but as it's
      both crafty and artistic...

      THUD! For your own home!

      "Thud, the Great Game, began in 2002 when a very clever man, Trevor
      Truran, developed a system of play which allowed combatants to use
      their guile, cunning and skill in a tactical game based on the
      ancient struggle between Dwarf and Troll. The game itself has grown
      in popularity over the years becoming the central theme to the
      Discworld novel 'Thud!', enjoying a cameo appearance in Sky Ones
      adaptations of Discworld Novels and most importantly, being enjoyed
      by thousands of fans across the world. A game can last from half an
      hour to gruelling day-long battles. You can learn to play in a
      matter of minutes and hone your skills over years...

      "This edition, with its thick natural cotton board and carved bone
      effect gaming pieces, has been designed for visual impact to sit
      beautifully in any home as a piece of craftsmanship in its own
      right. The materials have been selected and used to make this
      artifact as tactile as possible, a battlefield of bone and cloth
      laid out in your living room is a sure cause for conversation. The
      gaming pieces have been sculpted by Bernard Pearson, the Cunning
      Artificer himself, with his usual level of attention to detail. He
      wanted to create a Thud set drawing from the runic imagery of the
      dwarfs, pieces that could have been carved out many years ago and
      have been polished by of generations of play. After all, games have
      been a part of human history from the very dawn of time, they are
      indeed, a little part of what makes us human.

      "This set is presented in a thick cotton game bag, screen printed
      with the Thud glyph, inside you will find the game piece bag
      comprising of 32 dwarf pieces, 8 troll pieces and the all important
      Thud stone. Along side the screen printed Thud board you will find
      the rules to the game, a Thud presentation sheet with ancient poetry
      and a very rare piece of Sir Terry Pratchetts writing on the History
      of Thud!.

      "In the rule book you will find all you need to pick up the main
      game including strategy guide as well as the rules for Koom Valley
      Thud! a speed version of the game which has an entirely different
      dynamic but is equally as playable as Thud itself. Effectively this
      is two games in one.

      "The Board measures 47cms X 47 cms and has been professionally
      screen printed onto thick, hemmed, natural cotton. The pieces have
      been resin cast and finished to give the effect of carved bone then
      polished with natural beeswax. The dwarfs stand 35mms tall and the
      Trolls stand at 62mms.

      Prices, including postage:
      UK £33.50; Europe £36.50; Rest of world £42.50

      For more information, and to order, go to:

      [Dear Hogfather, may I *pleasepleaseplease* have one for Hogswatch?
      – Ed.]

      In The Telegraph, via Richard Eden, "Mandrake" has some news about
      Pterry and the film rights to Mort:

      "Sir Terry Pratchett may be suffering from early onset Alzheimer's
      disease, but the author is determined to stay in control of his
      legacy. Mandrake can disclose that Sir Terry is headed for a High
      Court battle over plans to make a film of his book Mort. The 63
      -year-old novelist is suing Paul Bamborough and Camel Productions,
      who had an option on film rights for the fantasy. Sir Terry argues
      that the rights ran out and is seeking a legal declaration to that
      effect. If he is successful, it would open the way for another
      company to make a film based on Mort, the fourth title in his highly
      successful Discworld series... The writ appears to have been issued
      as a tactic. 'At this stage, we hope to negotiate,' his spokesman
      tells me. 'We do not wish to go to court – who wants to waste
      money? But writs get issued – sometimes it works.'..."

      During the Seattle leg of his book tour, Pterry seems to have
      received an autographed iconograph from Mr Fusspot:

      A photo of the beautiful stamps Pterry uses at book signings:

      Rob Anybody MacFeegle by Paul Kidby, in monochrome:

      A wonderful sign at Roundworld's only A-M Consulate:

      On fansite The Morporkian, John Bullock reviews the new Pratchett
      tribute book, "Terry Pratchett — The Spirit of Fantasy", by Craig

      "At the beginning of this review, I pointed out that Craig Cabell
      calls The Spirit of Fantasy a tribute to Terry Pratchett rather than
      a biography, but I would go so far as to say that this book is
      almost a character study on the man behind the Discworld. Rather
      than detailing Pratchett's life, from school to his career as a
      best-selling author, or from The Carpet People to I Shall Wear
      Midnight, Craig Cabell goes into the things that make Pratchett
      write what he writes. He goes into the things that influenced (and
      influence today) Pratchett and why they influence him..."

      [Remember, this is *not* an authorised biography — Ed.]

      Blogger Bardsworld's long and informative recap of Pterry's recent
      talk at Washington D.C.'s National Press Club:

      "Then the first 100 people to order tickets for the event were
      ushered out a different exit, into a line for a 'book stamping' and
      opportunity to meet Terry Pratchett himself, one to one. The stamps
      are two unique images, specific to Sir Terry, which are used when he
      is not able to sign personally, but he stood throughout this, and
      posed for photographs and a few words with every one of the 100
      guests! As you can see in the photograph at the start of this
      article, I was exceptionally honoured to get to share a few words
      and be photographed with one of my favourite authors. A truly
      inspirational night, and I am still grinning and in giddy fan shock
      this morning!

      "...and what did I say to them? Well Rob had spoken to the American
      in front of me with his best fake American accent, so I mentioned
      how no accents were needed as I understood English. We talked
      briefly about life in America, Stratford-upon-Avon, and I
      congratulated him on a wonderful evening and wished them all the
      best for the rest of the tour. To Sir Terry, I thanked him for
      entertaining me since The first novel in the early eighties, and
      told him how he'd always made me smile through his writing..."

      Blogger Princess Alyeska was going Librarian-poo waiting for a copy
      of Snuff to arrive in Fourecksian bookshops:

      "The new Pratchett novel 'Snuff' has been released by the publisher
      and should be dispatched in the next few days. Now I spend the next
      week beating myself up for going for the cheaper option from the UK
      rather than a local option. Admittedly I would have to wait for a
      local copy until I could get to Melbourne, but anyway…

      "When Making Money was released I was working in Adelaide. The day
      it was released I walked the mall to every book shop until I found
      one that had received their shipment. They opened the box for me.
      First person in Adelaide to buy a copy.

      "Now I have to wait another week. Of course, I could buy the book on
      Amazon, but can't quite bring myself to do that yet. There is
      something about holding the new release in your hands..."

      ...and has further excited thoughts as she prepares to read it:

      Over the years I have fallen in love with Sam Vimes for his wisdom,
      admired Granny Weatherwax for her strength, loved Nanny Ogg for her
      compassion and humour, wanted to be Susan Sto-Helit for her
      sensibility and practicality, adored Death and the Death of Rats,
      pitied Ponder Stibbons and Agnes for being the only sane people in
      the asylum and been constantly amused by the various `guest stars'
      who appear briefly and make such an impression. Sam Vimes is the
      featured character in Snuff. Watching his character develop from a
      washed up alcoholic in Guards Guards to the Duke of Ankh, Commander
      of the City Watch. The interaction between Vetinari and Vimes is
      pure poetry..."

      Blogger Bookwitch *has* read Snuff, and is swooning over Vimes...
      and Willikins:

      I tend to think of there being two kinds of main characters in
      Terry's books. One is where we are introduced to a brand new person,
      and the other is where we return to someone we have met before.
      There is something very reassuring about meeting up with old
      friends. And Sam has been mentioned once or twice in the past...
      This is a moral story about equality for all, and about how some
      people use their wealth and position to abuse others, and how you
      can grow with your task, and about seeing in the dark. It is also,
      as Terry told me a year ago, about poo. And snot. And that's not as
      childish as it sounds, although Young Sam is extremely fascinated by
      poo... It feels to me as though there is less of the laugh-out-loud
      humour in Snuff, and more of the warm, quiet kind of humour that I
      associate with Terry himself, and the novel is all the better for
      it. Terry Pratchett might actually be Sam Vimes. And I couldn't help
      noticing that the book is dedicated to Rob. I wonder if he really is
      Willikins, the lovely Commander's gentleman's gentleman.."

      On the Bricks and Books (Lego and Discworld, remember!) site,
      Richard "RJH" Hayes reviews Snuff. Ignore the dodgy spelling and
      grammar — this is a heartfelt review from a "man in the street"
      Discworld appreciator:

      "I am not one of those who will put every word and every character
      under the microscope and pick it a part, as it takes away the
      enjoyment of the novels. Earlier today I was reading people who call
      themselves 'fans' who where moaning about the ending and I had to
      refrain from replying as it was annoying to have to read it. Vimes
      is the main character and is still the Vimes we all love. I like how
      in each book he has been in, he has grown as a character and the way
      he sees the world is still that of a street copper and that is what
      I like about him as a character as he has all theses titles and
      roles and money, but take it all away and he is still Vimes of old
      and he never forgets where he comes from nut he has learnt to use
      his title and power to his own advantage... I do warn you this book
      will pull at your heart strings and you read parts with lumps in
      your throat. It is that well written and when Wee Mad Arthur kicks
      ass you can't help but smile to yourself..."

      Blogger Cheryl Mahoney gives Discworld the highest marks, in a piece
      that covers the entire series:

      "Discworld is one of those big sprawling series with over forty
      books in it. If that sounds intimidating, don't worry – the books
      are interconnected, but very few directly follow each other plot-
      wise, so you can read as many or as few as you feel like. And you
      can probably start almost anywhere. I've bounced all over the
      series, and while with some it was clear that there was a previous,
      related installment it might have helped to read first, I don't feel
      like it severely hampered my enjoyment of whatever I was reading..."

      Blogger Polygonwrangler, on SciFi4Me.com, gives a long, detailed and
      very approving review of the Going Postal DVD:

      "Despite the setting of the film, you will find many aspects of
      Going Postal are completely modern in context. Finally, I imagine
      that many of you are already cringing about the fact that a book has
      been translated into a movie. That hardly ever works out as planned,
      apparently. Fortunately, not only has the author collaborated on the
      teleplay, he also has a cameo in the film... Ultimately it is in the
      Victorian age only instead of gunpowder and steam it's crossbows
      and magic. Having a television budget has taken nothing away from
      the production or the story, in fact it could be argued that
      television is a better venue for this particular piece as far too
      much would be lost in the compression of the story arc for sake of
      cinema timing... The highlight of the special features was an
      introduction by Terry Pratchett on the first disc and an interview
      on the second disc. It's always nice to hear an author's insight
      into what they were writing and why. The features with Sir Terry
      weren't overly long; however, the context he provides for the film
      and his, for lack of a better word, immersion he has in all of his
      stories is well worth watching. Lastly, the director's commentary
      was consistent and informative..."

      Blogger John Purcell, aka The Booktopia Book Guru, shares an almost-
      TMI memory of taking possession of new Pratchett novels:

      "I used to live with a woman who became seriously addicted to the
      Discworld novels. I used to come home with a new one and she would
      bound to the door, then circle about my legs until I extracted it
      from my bag. Once it was in my hands I always felt a little nervous,
      as she would try to snatch it from me, leaping about like a
      madwoman. I would hold it aloft, out of her reach and squeeze past
      her until I got to the door of the lounge room. By this time she
      would be drooling and grunting. Then I would toss it across the room
      onto the couch and she would dash over, seize it and scurry off to
      her room. A few hours later she would re-emerge, burp, and then
      behave in a manner more befitting an adult with a degree in

      Blogger deepseapearl find something to ponder on in Unseen

      "The first half of the book contains a handful of encounters between
      fans of rival teams, all of which carry the threat of street
      violence... I'm the first to admit that I've lived a sheltered
      life. Growing up in a quiet neighborhood, I'd—perhaps unwisely
      and certainly to my parents' distress—never though twice about
      walking alone at night until around the age of 20. Even after
      spending last year volunteering at a sexual assault hotline, I've
      never felt seriously afraid of or threatened by someone coming
      around a dark corner (fact: you are far more likely to be assaulted
      by someone you know in a private setting). Now, (obviously) the dark
      corner type of danger is not confined to the works of Shakespeare
      and Sondheim, and you might just see this as the ramblings of a
      naïve girl with too much time and security on her hands. But this
      is why I love to read (and watch movies)! So that I can see what
      living with the daily threat of physical harm must be like...

      "In the second half of the book, these football-(s0ccer)-playing
      street toughs get a little more human when they're blindsided by
      the government and university's decision to regulate their
      favorite pastime. The toughs are drunk, illiterate, and frankly have
      no idea what's going on. As a football (real football) player
      myself, I understand the need to get a little violent on the playing
      field. It's satisfying. It makes you feel like you're doing
      something worthwhile. And to have that taken away from you by a
      self-proclaimed tyrannical government? I mean, sure, Ankh-Morpork
      was dealing with civilian injuries and deaths at practically every
      football (soccer) match. But they signed up for it, right? Even the
      fans! And the players who died young of head injuries and the
      like — they still had the glory, didn't they..."

      Blogger laurapakora82 is delighted to encounter some vintage early
      Pratchett in the form of Truckers:

      "I love the Nomes different thoughts and explanations for different
      aspects of life, and their dismissal of Humans as dimwitted slow
      creatures. This book has all the wit of the other Terry Pratchett
      books, and I forgot I was reading a children's book. That's not
      to say that the book would not be good for kids, it is fantastically
      well written. I cannot wait to get my hands on the next two books in
      the series, and to go back and re-read some more Pratchett – a
      fantastic author..."

      Blogger Jennifer Payne gives Mort high marks:

      "With Pratchett's trademark tongue-in-cheek wit, Mort is a gem. I
      loved Death's gentle side & booming voice – his love of cooking
      and shelves filled with life stories yet to be finished. We meet up
      briefly with a few characters from the earlier Discworld novels &
      make some new friends. For a light-hearted, death rattlin' good
      time – pick Mort up and dive into a quirky adventure..."

      Blogger Cultural Afterthoughts reviews Snuff:

      "Snuff is probably the most Vimes-focused novel in the entire
      Discworld series (though I suppose you could make an argument for
      Night Watch), as it follows him as he leaves his beloved city and
      job for a holiday in the country. Of course, Discworld being
      Discworld, the quiet countryside soon throws up a crime or two for
      him to solve, and in true Pratchett style the trope (often referred
      to as a `Busman's holiday') is acknowledged by the character of
      Vimes himself, and his own unhealthy desire to find crime <br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)