WOSSNAME -- main issue -- August 2011

  • granny_tude
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2011
      August 2011 (Volume 14, Issue 8, Post 2)
      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide
      Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano

      03) "SNUFF" NEWS
      13) REVIEW: ISWM
      20) CLOSE

      "Um. The Nac Mac Feegle are not Scottish. There is no Scotland on
      Discworld. They may, in subtle ways, suggest some aspects of the
      Scottish character as filtered through the media, but that's because
      of quantum."

      – Terry Pratchett

      "Terry Pratchett taught me you can say far more with a dragon and a
      magic sword than you can with a human alone. Before I got into his
      Discworld series I left sci-fi and fantasy alone, thinking it had
      nothing much for anyone over the age of 16. Now most of my favourite
      books have a little bit of magic in them somewhere!"

      – Dani Solomon, Australian bookseller

      Book covers: often controversial things that can make or break a
      potential first-time reader's interest. Over the years I keep coming
      across people who either were first drawn to try a Discworld novel
      because they were so taken by Josh Kirby's cover art, and people who
      found the Kirby covers so repellent that they refused to so much as
      consider what might be between them. I've always made it clear that
      I was (and remain) in the second category, even though I find most
      of Kirby's *non*-Discworld work fantastically appealing. In some of
      the posts featured in this issue's Discworld Around the Blogosphere
      section, as it happens, you'll find Pratchett fans on both sides of
      the Kirby covers divide. I'm sure that goes to show something, but
      I'm hedgehogged if I know what...

      I do have to admit that I'm quite taken with the "black cover"
      reissues of Discworld (and other Pratchett) novels, but then this is
      no great surprise; whenever I buy or am given a book, one of the
      first things I do is remove its dust jacket and consign it to the
      recycling bin (or in the case of each Paul Kidby Discworld cover,
      store it safely for occasional viewing delight). I like my book
      covers to be as plain as possible. My Dearly Beloved and I have been
      at quiet war over this for many years, since he's the sort of book
      owner who not only keeps dust covers but also mummifies them in
      protective plastic (I tend to make sarcastic comments about these
      being the pleasure-killing equivalent of wearing several, well,
      let's say the word 'sonky' enters the conversation now and again).
      Anyway... earlier this week I came across an image of the old (Josh
      Kirby) and new (black cover) Colour of Magic covers side by side,
      which I present here:

      I'm not trying to convert you to my own tastes, O Readers, but
      seriously, can you say "less is more", eh?

      Now if I could only find someone who can explain the mystery of why
      the USA cover art for Unseen Academicals has what looks rather like
      a basketball surrounded by reaching hands rather than reaching

      – Annie Mac

      03) SNUFF NEWS

      Have some Snuff! The opening pages are August's official teaser:

      The recent charity auction of a signed bound proof of Snuff (as
      featured in this month's early edition on 1st August) raised nearly
      a thousand pounds for wildlife rescue organisation Secret World! The
      winning bid of £920.00 was entered by Dr Per Stalby of Sweden.

      PJSM Prints say:
      "Commiserations to everyone else, but at least you still have a
      signed copy to look forward to!"

      Remember, Snuff will be out on 13th October, but you can pre-order
      now. Signed copies are now available for pre-order from PJSM Prints:

      Here's a different sort of award for our favourite author:

      "Actress Emma Watson, British funnyman Stephen Fry and beloved
      author Sir Terry Pratchett have been honoured by the British Scout
      Association for their inspirational charity work. The trio was among
      the group of heroes who received special Scout badges as the
      traditional boys' organisation celebrated its 104th birthday..."

      No, not Pterry and company, but some other familiar names we all
      know and love:

      "A five week old abandoned otter cub is receiving comfort from two
      orphaned kittens at the Secret World Wildlife Rescue Centre near
      Highbridge. The cub, which has been called Otto Chriek, is lucky to
      be alive after he and another baby otter were found abandoned in
      Lincolnshire. Secret World founder Pauline Kidner said both tiny
      animals were in a very cold and dehydrated state and Otto's sibling
      died within a few hours. 'Then four tiny kittens found near their
      dead mother in long grass in Cossington were brought in so we put
      two of them in with Otto for the mutual warmth and comfort so
      desperately needed by orphans in the early stages of their lives,'
      she said.

      "Pauline said the kittens will remain with Otto for the next week
      and then go to new homes. The kittens: Lily Weatherwax, Cheery
      Littlebottom, Adora Belle Dearheart and Lord Haverlock [sic]
      Vetinari and the otter Otto Chriek have all been named after
      characters from Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld book series. This is
      to show thanks for the support that Sir Terry Pratchett has shown
      the charity this year.

      "Visitors will be able to view the otter cub on a webcam when Secret
      World holds its Bank Holiday Animal Bonanza Open Weekend at New
      House Farm, East Huntspill on August 27,28 and 29 between 10am and

      Also, here be a wonderful iconograph – the cover of Secret World's
      latest online newsletter features Pterry, with a lovely owl, taken
      (the photo, not the owl!) during his recent visit to the rescuers:

      [Do read the 'zine while you're there! – Ed.]

      Oh, and according to Secret World's Twitter page, Pterry now has
      some new garden residents:

      "Sara went to see Terry Pratchett today and took some hedgehogs for
      their garden. Wonderful wildlife gardens and surrounding area."

      "The hedgehogs are doing fine – thank you – but we feel it's time to
      name them. There's two boys and two girls..."

      "And as @lizzieloubi suggested it, one of the girls is Loubi."

      "Spikey Norris is too good to miss and so he's a definite for one of
      the boys."

      From the Salisbury Journal:

      "With 700 entries in the dog show, a famous guest, £7,000 raised
      for charity and more than 1,500 visitors, Broad Chalke flower show
      and fete on Saturday can rightly be described as a resounding
      success... The first Broad Chalke dog show was also held with 11 fun
      classes. There was stiff competition for the Best in Show class
      which was judged by local resident author Sir Terry Pratchett. After
      much deliberation, this was awarded to Joyce Jones and her Sheltie,
      Holly. All the money from the dog show, and half the profits from
      the flower show and fete, will go to Salisbury Hospice, with the
      other half going to local charities and clubs."

      The Bear in Wincanton, long the mainstay of Discworld events, has
      come first in a nationwide "best pubs" poll!

      In This is Somerset:

      "A 300-year-old pub in Wincanton has been added to a list of 100
      famous British inns and given a commemorative plaque to put on
      display. The Bear in Market Place is one of the oldest pubs in the
      area, dating back to the early 18th century and has been placed on
      the list by sponsors Famous Grouse. The top 100 pubs were picked out
      for their history and quirkiness in a celebration of unique drinking
      dens across the country.

      "Landlord Ian Wainwright said: 'The low beams and original features
      make this a special place to come for a drink in Wincanton and I
      think this plaque has recognised that. It will be going up behind
      the bar. We have had customers from America and Europe come and stay
      and they love the history of the building. The great fire of
      Wincanton that destroyed much of the town was said to have started
      in this pub and it was also an important stop off for travellers on
      their way to Cornwall from London... The history of this pub is
      great but it is the customers that make it such a special place,'
      said Mr Wainwright. 'It is very welcoming here and the open fire
      certainly helps attract people in for a drink in winter. They can
      walk in and feel comfortable and we have customers visit us from all
      over the world for the Discworld conventions, they love it...'"

      Game designers David Brashaw and Leonard Boyd discuss the
      genesis of the Guards! Guards! game in a BBC video:

      News of the Guards! Guards! launch next month:

      "Belfast digital agency, Gravity has joined forces with the world's
      leading fantasy novelist Sir Terry Pratchett and Backspindle Games
      to devise an e-commerce platform and social media strategy for the
      release of a board game based on one of his best-loved novels.
      Gravity, based in the Cathedral Quarter, will ensure fans throughout
      the US and Europe are able to buy the board game based on Sir
      Terry's novel, Guards!Guards!, from his popular and long running
      Discworld series.

      "Gravity is the digital partner for Backspindle Games which has
      designed the new game. Gravity Director Draven McConville said: 'We
      are very excited about this. All of us are great fans of Sir Terry
      and are looking forward to doing our part to get this game out to
      the thousands of Discworld devotees throughout the US and Europe.'
      It is also developing a mobile app so that fans can enjoy strategy
      tips and background on the Guards!Guards! game at any time, check
      out the Guards! Guards! App! page for more information..."

      For more information on Gravity, visit www.creategravity.com.

      from http://www.guardsguards.com/blog/5-guards-guards-launch.aspx

      "Gravity's three directors are brand strategy expert Draven
      McConville, web developer Terry Kernan and software engineer Kevin
      Lewis. All three are highly respected in the digital media field and
      have brought existing customers with them to their new enterprise."

      Guards! Guards! will be released at Titancon in September:

      In the Belfast Telegraph:

      "Northern Ireland firms are bringing fantasy land Discworld to life
      with a board game version of one of cult novelist Sir Terry
      Pratchett's novels... David Bradshaw and Leonard Boyd of Backspindle
      Games Ltd took almost 20 years to bring 'Guards! Guards!' to market.
      They've now teamed up with a Belfast digital agency to sell the
      product – based on the eighth Discworld book – which is proving
      a hit at big gaming conventions all over the world... Keeping local
      links, Belfast firm Gravity was selected to run a website, online
      shop and smartphone app for the game. The site will market and sell
      the board game to the US and Europe and will also sell related
      promotional material such as T-shirts and bookmarks. Gravity will
      also carry out a social media strategy to use sites such as Twitter,
      Facebook, blogs, podcasts and online forums to market the game...
      'Guards! Guards!' was premiered at a Discworld convention in
      Madison, Wisconsin, three weeks ago and is expected to get a UK
      launch at Belfast's own TitanCon in September. 'It's been a long
      road but we are so glad it is finally coming to life and it has
      Terry's blessing,' said Leonard..."

      More information can be found on:

      Deluxe Edition update, looking good:

      "We've had a number of folks asking about the pieces for the
      deluxe version of Ankh-Morpork. Ideally I would have shots of the
      final pieces, but they are still being cast. Here is a shot of the
      original sculptures that the resin pieces will be cast from. Note
      that that means the final pieces will be coloured."

      Remember, the UK launch will be on Saturday 3rd September at
      Eclectic Games in Reading:

      "Dripping with Discworld flavour, boasting gorgeous artwork and fun,
      compelling gameplay, Ankh Morpork more than lives up to the high
      standards associated with both Discworld and Treefrog Games. Martin
      Wallace will be here all day to demonstrate the game, explain the
      finer points of what the differences between the Thieves Guild,
      Fools Guild and Seamstress Guild cards mean from a design point of
      view, and will probably deface your copy of the game with his
      signature if you ask him politely. There will be cake, a small prize
      for the best Discworld fancy dress, and of course, the game will be
      available to purchase."

      Discworld 2: Missing, Presumed...

      Seraph writes:

      "The first Discworld game was a rough adaptation of the events of
      the book Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett, but replacing the
      protagonist Sam Vimes with the 'Wizzard' Rincewind, probably the
      most recognisable figure in the Discworld books due to the sheer
      number of books based on him. Rincewind (voiced in both games by the
      brilliant Eric Idle) was faced with the task of dealing with a
      rather large dragon that was terrorising the city of Ankh-Morpork.
      While many people praised the story-telling and acting, the game was
      criticised for technical issues. Discworld 2 is a direct sequel to
      the first game... I started playing Discworld 2 when I was 11.
      Determined to beat it without cheating, I completed the game a mere
      9 years later at the age of 20. How many games these days can boast
      9 years of gameplay? I'll be amazed if the next Call of Duty
      offers 9 minutes..."

      "The script is perfect, distilled Pratchett throughout, and the
      games get across the atmosphere of the books extremely well. The 2D
      animated looks crisp and smooth even today, in a time when everyone
      was trying very hard to make 3D games that weren't ugly pieces of
      crap. While Discworld 2 is hard to find, and even harder to play
      unless you have an old PC or Playstation lying around (Alas, it was
      never really popular enough to warrant a PSN re-release), if you can
      find it, and if you're a fan of Terry Pratchett, you cannot go

      Gamethyme writes:

      "It should come as no surprise to many of you that I am a huge fan
      of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series of novels. I was really
      disappointed a few years back when Steve Jackson Games published
      GURPS Discworld. But it's grown on me. Not a lot, mind you, because
      I'm not a fan of GURPS. I have a number of their sourcebooks and
      the (3rd Edition) core books. Since it was first released, I've been
      trying to find a better system for the series.

      "I occasionally make the mistake of mentioning this to people. They
      inevitably ask me, 'Why don't you use Toon?' The answer to this
      question is surprisingly simple: Because Toon is for wacky games.
      The Disc is comical, but it's not wacky. The characters on the Disc
      sometimes seem to be aware of the fact that they are characters.
      What they're not aware of is that they are in a comedy..."

      But it seems the game is currently under scaffolding and undergoing

      "Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels have become classics in
      their own time. Their influence on modern fantasy has been profound;
      they have entire conventions dedicated to them, and they've
      inspired spin-off media that include art books, TV adaptations, and
      games. One of those was the Discworld Roleplaying Game, for GURPS
      Third Edition. The time has come to update it to GURPS Fourth

      "For over a year, Phil Masters has been hard at work doing exactly
      that. He has merged the Discworld Roleplaying Game with GURPS
      Discworld Also. He has expanded that content to cover Sir Terry's
      writings over the decade since we released those books. And he has
      updated all of the rules to GURPS Fourth Edition. The result? A
      manuscript for a 400-page standalone RPG..."

      Sean Punch says:

      "I am reviewing the first draft of a new edition of the Discworld
      Roleplaying Game. Phil Masters took the original, folded in GURPS
      Discworld Also, updated everything to take into account Terry
      Pratchett's tireless efforts since the previous edition (for
      instance, Going Postal, Thud!, and Unseen Academicals), and switched
      the rules over to GURPS Fourth Edition. As a result of all this
      folding in, updating, and switching over, the first draft is large.
      We're aiming for 400 pages, and as is customary in the RPG
      business, the first draft is considerably beefier than the target
      length. Thus, the review alone is going to take me a while! So
      that's where I've been. I cannot give out more details on dates
      right now. I must finish the review, and then Phil will want to make
      whatever changes he feels should be made before the playtest..."

      The playtest (20-25 preselected testers) has already begun and will
      run from 19th August to 30th September 2011.

      For the first time ever, South Africa is going to get its own
      Discworld Convention! But long before SADWcon comes SADWE: the South
      African Discworld Event. Organiser Laura (Kitty-Cat) Shortridge, aka
      The Kitten of Discworld, writes:

      "With bright ideas and cunning plans September 10th 2011 should see
      a gathering of Pratchett Appreciators and Discworld Aficionados
      come-together to celebrate these works in a day-long convention-type
      event, besides celebrating there will be a small presentation on how
      to come together to start planning a full-blown Discworld Convention

      "Do you know what a Discworld Convention is? It's an entire weekend
      dedicated to all things Discworld and Pratchett, and it tends to
      happen in far off countries like Australia, lucky bastards that they
      are. Sir Terry himself is usually there, not to mention hundreds of
      Discworld fans, and, as fans go, Discworld fans are the most awesome
      types of fans in the world. True story... South Africans are about
      to become those lucky bastards that get to go to Discworld
      conventions... As it is, I'm one of the people setting up the event
      and, I've gotta say, it's going to be bloody brilliant..."

      For more details:

      "I discovered Pratchett's books at the not-so-tender age of
      thirteen. It was during the tail end of a holiday with my parents to
      America and England. At the time, I was just old enough to be filled
      with teenage angst and not nearly old enough to see the joke that is
      a thirteen year old girl wearing a ridiculously furry and huge black
      coat, glaring all the way through an overseas trip due to the
      embarrassment of actually having parents..."

      Laura also sent further word to WOSSNAME:

      "The very first South African Discworld Event will take place on
      September 10, 2011 at The Bistro Garden Restaurant in Milnerton,
      Cape Town. If you're an SA fan who loves Pratchett, you want to be
      at this. Besides the screening of Going Postal, the reading from the
      unpublished Snuff, free gifts and amazing Discworld collectors
      items, this event offers the opportunity to be on the committee to
      organize our first ever SA Discworld Convention, which, by all
      appearances, Sir Terry will be at, or at least really wants to.

      "Bring an appetite to eat food inspired by CMOT Dibbler and Nanny
      Ogg, an outfit for the costume parade, all your Discworld knowledge
      for the quiz and spending money for books and merchandise."

      SADWcon on Twitter:

      It's only a month and a bit until Scheibenwelt 3, the 2011 German
      Discworld Convention, which runs from 30th September to 3rd October
      at Castle Bilstein.

      For ticket prices and to order:

      Get your Assassins' Keep or Igor t-shirt:

      http://shop.discworld-convention.de/ (page 2-3)

      "In November 2011 we will be hosting the Irish Discworld Convention
      (IDWCon for short) at the Falls Hotel, Ennistymon, Co. Clare. This
      will be the second Irish Discworld Convention (as some of you will
      know, having been at the first one!) and we're hereby promising to
      make this one bigger and better than the first! We have the
      committee wrangled, the guests are currently being notified of their
      guest status, and the programme is being assembled, the art work is
      being worked and the bar is being stocked... with drinks of every
      colour! There will be talks, interviews, panels discussing anything
      you would like (send in your suggestions now!), as well as games and
      quizzes, a chéilí, a maskerade and disco and of course the Oswald
      Awards and Posh Dinner on the Sunday night, followed by dancing..."

      Apparently, this year's theme will be a package holiday to the Disc.
      Expected Guests of Honour so far include Professor Sir Pterry, Rob
      Wilkins, Colin Smythe, Jack Cohen, Ian Stewart, Bernard Pearson, and
      Jacqueline Simpson.

      Sarah the Mad Crafter took several weeks to make her blogpost about
      this year's NADWcon, but it's very comprehensive and full of
      pictures and thus worth the wait:

      "The convention was fantastic. It pretty much had to be. You put a
      thousand other Discworld fans in one hotel, and then run into
      friends you haven't seen in five years (we knew we were all going to
      be there, but I had no idea how we'd find each other, and then we
      find each other before we'd even registered) and wander around and
      talk to people and admire costumes and discover you can buy a tin
      labeled Dried Frog Pills, and that there are people trading stamps
      for countries that don't exist (the stamps are pretty awesome), and
      listen to authors talk about books – Patrick Rothfuss was there –
      and listen to bits of the newest Pratchett book being read, and hear
      Sir Terry tell funny stories, and talk to other fans, and go to
      panels, and discover what Morris Dancing is, and, well..."

      Here be blogpost by mega-talented dollmaker Judy Skeel, who attended
      the con and went to the Maskerade as Sybil Vimes, along with her
      sword-collecting son Shawn and her wonderful Errol the Swamp Dragon
      doll. Includes iconographs:

      "Shawn helped me char up my apron for Lady Sybil Vimes, who is an
      Aristocrat but thinks that's hogwash and would rather raise swamp
      dragons, which she does and lets the estate get over grown. My hair
      is a mess, I have charcoal rubbed all over my clothes and face and
      the apron is burned and torn. There is actual blood splattered on
      the apron from where I had cut myself in the hotel room so I flicked
      blood all over it when the bleeding wouldn't stop. This added not
      only color but nice character since swamp dragons are notorious for
      periodically blowing themselves up when they hiccup and such. We won
      an award for workmanship, and were quite thrilled since it was our
      first con...

      "I took a group of dolls to NADWCON made by different artists from
      members of DOLL STREET representing characters from any of the 40
      books in the series and 1,000 attendees voted for peoples choice.
      There were some fabulous representations there. I felt quite honored
      when my Errol got the most votes. Needless to say getting that and
      the masquerade award helped me to enjoy NADWCON even more, but it
      was awesome all by itself. I suggest that you check out the books if
      you like humor and don't mind a parallel universe that may include
      wizards, witches, trolls, werewolves, vampires, and other human
      variations. It's a great way to talk about things such as racism
      when the group for dwarves is called the "league for equal heights."
      No one is offended and yet the point gets across to all the readers

      Long-serving Spanish theatre company Javea Players, now in their
      35th year, will be presenting their first-ever Discworld play in
      November and December this year. The play will be directed by
      Christyn Nossell. Auditions are to be held on the 1st of September
      at the company's new Studio Theatre (which as far as your Editor can
      determine is an adjunct of the Union Musical Theatre in Gata):

      "There are 37 characters in the piece as Blackadder meets Brothers
      Grimm for the production set to open on Monday 28th November.
      However, auditions are scheduled to start at the Javea Players
      Studio Theatre on Thursday 1st September at 7.30pm, a date for the
      diaries of anyone interested in getting involved.

      "Christyn said: 'This is an extremely funny, fast moving play with
      many scenes – there are 23 in all! In addition to the main parts
      there are many smaller ones which represent an ideal opportunity for
      anyone to make a first appearance on stage. I am therefore inviting
      non-members, experienced or beginners, to audition without
      obligation to become members.'"

      Interested parties who wish to read for a part or become involved as
      a backstage or front of house crew person should contact Lynne on 96
      64 3024 or 616 692 103, or Christyn on 96 579 3593

      Contact email: styn11@... or info@...

      Tickets will be €10 and can be pre-ordered at:

      Have a listen! It's certainly musical theatre. Very traditional
      musical theatre, in fact. And at least as good as a rather more
      publicised Discworld musical of recent times... Your Editor's
      favourites are "Beautiful" and "I Feel Alive"; also "Dear Son, Dear
      Mum", and there's even a fine, cheerful rendition of the Hedgehog

      (the page also features a number of photographs of the superb Death
      puppet, as played by Derek the Skeleton)

      The City of Small Gods Terry Pratchett Fan Club meets on the last
      Thursday of the month from 6.30pm at the Ed Castle, 233 Currie St,
      Adelaide (South Australia). The next meeting will be on Thursday
      25th August. Details, discussions and organisation of extra events
      (such as play outings) are held on their email mailing list, so do
      sign up at

      The next meeting of the Broken Drummers, London's original Discworld
      meeting group, will be from 7pm on Monday 5th September at the
      Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London W2 1JQ.

      Drummers Downunder meet on the first Monday of every month in Sydney
      at Maloneys, corner of Pitt & Goulburn Streets, at 6.30pm. The next
      meeting will be on Monday 5th September. For more information, contact
      Sue (aka Granny Weatherwax) on kenworthys@...

      Perth Drummers meet on the traditional of first Monday of the month.
      The next meeting will be from 6pm on Monday 5th September at The
      Vic Hotel, 226 Hay St, Subiaco. For more information contact:
      Daniel Hatton at daniel_j_hatton@...

      EDITOR'S NOTE: start times have now changed for most of these

      For once, not an item from PJSM Prints or the Cunning Artificer, but
      hey, your Editor likes this one anyway! From the geek clothing
      company Spread Shirt comes a raglan long-sleeved t-shirt with the
      OCTARINE COLOURED GLASSES". Each shirt is priced at £17.90 plus
      shipping, is available in black and white, navy and white, or red
      and white, and comes in sizes M through XL.

      The design is also available on a plain white t-shirt (£10.90),
      raglan short-sleeved tee (£13.90), or sleeveless hoodie (£30.90).

      For more information, and to order:

      But fear not, there are some excellent goodies in the usual place!
      Starting with the 2012 Discworld calendar, "an inspired collection
      of paintings by Paul Kidby", signed by The Author and now available
      to order! Priced at £15.00, this one looks like one of the great
      years. And here be a teaser – Paul Kidby's "Greebo as a man",
      painted exclusively for the calendar:

      I'm definitely ordering one for the WOSSNAME cubbyhole!

      Another excellent household item: the Mended Drum Tea Towel,
      featuring artwork by the one and only Stephen Briggs. Each towel is
      100% cotton, measures 82cm wide x 48cm high, and is priced at
      £6.95. In addition to the usual architectural Disc-ness, there's
      text: "Purveyors of the Fynest Ales, Wines, Spyrits and Genuine
      Lancre Scuble Good Food Available at Some House of the Day and
      Night. Comfortable Accomodation at Reasonable Rates", it says.

      And not forgetting the official – in Roundworld, at any rate –
      Unseen University scarf. "100% Saxony wool – these scarves measure
      10" x 72" and are striped in navy, crimson, yellow and purple. The
      UU crest is embroidered in colour at one end. Made in the UK by the
      leading Oxbridge scarf maker," according to the page.

      At £34.95 each, they're a bit pricey, but still...

      To view all three items, for further information, and to order:

      13) REVIEW: ISWM

      In South African newspaper The Citizen, Bruce Dennill writes:

      "Terry Pratchett continues to amaze. Dozens of books into his
      career, he maintains his phenomenal creativity (he specialises in
      fantasy, remember – his subjects aren't available for study at
      the local library) and considered approach. There can be a handful
      of references in a single sentence – and Pratchett is handling all
      of this while suffering from Alzheimer's Disease.

      "I Shall Wear Midnight sees the development of the character of
      Tiffany Aching, the teenage witch from The Wee Free Men. She's a
      brilliant protagonist, feisty but possessed of doubts; incredibly
      capable but slandered by many. As you read about her day-to-day
      schedule, you realise that in Pratchett's world, witches are not
      disfigured hags, but rather nurses, counsellors and holders of
      collected wisdom..."

      From the millennienniennium year, a lovely interview, "A
      Conversation With Terry Pratchett", by Claire E. White in Writers
      Write. It includes a photo of Pterry from back when his beard was
      still dark, and of course the (in)famous banananana daiquiri story:

      "Let me tell you about banana daiquiris. Years and years ago, there
      was a world science fiction convention in New Orleans. It had been a
      really hard day. I'd driven all the way from Pensacola and was quite
      tired. The hotel had done the usual: "Sorry, sir, we have no record
      of your reservation at this time." When I showed them the fax
      confirming my reservation, they denied the existence of the fax.
      Finally, after being ever so unpleasantly English about it, I got a
      very, very nice room on the top floor. An American friend said, 'I
      know. I shall take you out to the All-Night Frozen Daiquiri Shop on
      Bourbon Street!' By that time, I wouldn't have known if we were
      heading to the All-Night Bourbon Shop on Daiquiri Street. I didn't
      know that there was alcohol in a daiquiri. I thought it was a
      pleasant fruit drink. So I had the liter size. I thought, 'It's been
      a long day, and I need a refreshing pick me up.' I will say this for
      the Americans: In England, if you'd ordered a drink that was twice
      the normal size, they'd water it down. But in New Orleans, a liter
      daiquiri has twice as much alcohol as a half liter daiquiri. It was
      so delicious that I had another one. Then I thought I'd try a liter
      of the peach daiquiri, and I had about half of that one. In the
      1950s comic books, sometimes a character would have a nuclear
      reactor fall on him. Then he'd become 'Mr. Atomic'. I drank so much
      banana daiquiri that night that I think every cell in my body was
      full of banana daiquiri. I became Dr. Daiquiri. I think that's the
      only way I survived. I couldn't feel my upper lip for quite awhile
      after that, though. The point is, if you make a real daiquiri,
      according to a real recipe, you don't feel well again until tea time
      the next day. If you make it with real cream and the two types of
      rum and all that, it is seriously bad for your head. The Bourbon
      Street daiquiris were a lot of fun. But when I'm in Australia I
      drink beer, because if you are in Australia and you don't drink beer
      you are prosecuted."

      The full interview:

      Once upon a time, discovering a Discworld reference anywhere outside
      of the Pratchett fan community was cause for comment, but in recent
      years Brand Pratchett has become so well-known around the world that
      there's no longer anything unusual about seeing or hearing Discworld
      references quoted in op-ed (and even hard news) articles or spoken
      by scientists, shamans and politicians. However, every once in a
      while such references can crop up in unexpected places – such as
      this one, from a column about horoscopes in a Pensacola, Florida
      online newspaper:

      "My best friend and I discovered Agnes through Terry Pratchett,
      author of the popular Discworld series. Agnes, a budding witch, is
      reluctantly dependable and sensible... To paraphrase Montrachet,
      there are the girls who faint and those who fetch the water. Agnes
      fetches the water. But inside? Inside she is Perdita, a bold and
      confident creature. Willful. Flirtatious. Nary a thought of water

      "My BFF and I identified with Agnes immediately. Just as quickly, we
      used the name as a code. Doing your work plus someone else's? Agnes.
      Going out of your way to help scores of delicate Perditas? Oh,
      Agnes. Just recently, I was whining about my house mate's tendency
      to abandon her tiny laundry scraps in the dryer. BFF asked if I'd
      tossed the wee delicates to the floor, as a warning. 'No ...' I
      began, guiltily. 'But I did fold them for her.' 'Agnes, Agnes,
      Agnes,' my friend sighed..."

      Does he index books too? Orangutan Azy is one clever ape:

      Several of Tom Steyer's official German Discworld covers:

      Mort (Alles Sense):

      Moving Pictures (Voll im Bilde):

      I Shall Wear Midnight (Das Mitternachtskleid):

      This last one is my personal favourite. Even though Paul Kidby and
      Stephen Player remain *the* Discworld artists for me, I do love the
      way Steyer captures the delicate, playful-yet-severe sensuality of
      That Dress.

      To view more of Steyer's work, go to:

      ...and last up, an interesting piece of fanart from Jamelia –
      Nobby Nobbs working undercover in the Shades. Scroll down below the
      initial sketch to see the finished piece:

      From alt.books.pratchett:

      The opening scenes of Snuff are now available here:

      There's also a rather longer section including this section
      available as a booklet from Waterstones.

      – Dave

      I hope the copy'n'paste was better in the Waterstones edition...
      Thanks for posting the link!

      – Jaimie

      Thanks for posting that. I think I'm going to like Snuff – unlike
      UA. The first time I started reading UA I got to page 80 then gave
      up; the second time I got to page 96.

      – John E

      I've read UA through twice and there are things I do like about the
      book, but it is my least favorite of all the Discworld series.

      – Lewis

      Although I know where you are going with that sentiment, I am not of
      the same opinion. It is different to many of the others and its
      humour is more laconic (I think that's the word I want) I has its
      good points and improves on re-read(s) once you know where it is
      going*. In contrast I find TAMAHER and Eric! less rewarding as is
      TLC (a YARB)** compared to S! or IT. YMMV etc!

      *I often find that at the first read Terry's books are hard for me
      as I don't know what is the plot and what is the furniture.

      **Yet Another Rincewind Book

      – Reader in Invisible Writings

      "I hope the copy'n'paste was better in the Waterstones edition..."

      Looked almost like it was taken from some sort of a not finalised
      version – where, for example, the decision hasn't been made
      whether to use "Vimes tore" or "He opened"

      I'm sure some of our literary bods will let me know if this sort of
      document floats around in the pre-printing process.

      – robcraine

      ...and from L(J) Space, Livejournal's leading Discworld community:

      So for those of you who aren't fans of Pterry on the facebooks, they
      posted an extract out of the beginning of Snuff today! Yay! My
      feelings: COLOR ME AMBIGUOUS. :/

      I'm excited for Vimes again

      The Patrician talking uncharacteristically to himself was rather
      unexpected. Usually, it's Vimes' inner dialog that gives background
      info about the story. The spelling errors and typo's irked me. But
      other than that, I can't wait to buy the book! (Gotta catch 'em

      So excited to see this! Looks like a bit of a follow-up to Unseen
      Academicals as well as a City Watch book. It's always good to see
      Vimes & Co., not to mention our favorite despot and his dedicated

      Oh, I've missed them!

      I can't read it because the formatting is weird and it's difficult
      for me to read things without proper paragraph breaks/indents, but
      WHATEVER, it's a new Vimes book and I am so happy. Also I've liked
      his last few new books (apart from Making Money)* tremendously, so I
      trust this one to be excellent.

      *Yes, even Thud and Unseen Academicals which, as I understand it,
      some people weren't fond of. Phhhhbth.

      *high fives* I love Unseen Academicals. After a long line of dark,
      serious Discworld stories (not that I don't enjoy it) Unseen
      Academicals is like a breath of fresh air. I think of reading Unseen
      Academicals as the literary version of drinking a hot mug of cocoa.

      Exactly! Although I like that he's tackled darker themes than usual
      lately, because it matches my current mood. There were darker themes
      in Unseen Academicals too, but mostly it seemed to me like a happy
      callback to everywhere we've been and everyone we've met so far.

      Exactly! I've missed Ridcully and the wizard's antics since The Last
      Continent and to have a character who isn't Rincewind (poor guy has
      been through a lot) to act as a plot device to visit them again?
      YEAY :D

      An excellent essay by author and blogger Karen Miller lauding the
      women of Pratchett (erm, shouldn't that be "females"?):

      "Much has been said and written about the inclusion, or exclusion,
      of female characters in speculative fiction. A common observation
      made is that, so often, too often, women in fantasy, science fiction
      and horror fiction are reduced to objects of desire, sexual adjuncts
      to men, rendered pathetically helpless so they can be rescued, or
      are killed off as soon as possible in order to provide motive for
      the male hero's journey, or pretty much airbushed out of the
      narrative altogether. Unfortunately there is merit in these
      criticisms of the genre, but one thing I can say without hesitation:
      you simply cannot point that particular finger at Terry Pratchett.
      Throughout the course of his Discworld novels, Pratchett has created
      some of the most fantastic, three-dimensional and iconic female
      characters to be found in the realms of speculative fiction... Some
      writers of fantastic fiction fail to create even one memorable
      female character. Pratchett has created nine, at least, and many
      others in a secondary or one-off guest starring role. So, what is
      this wonderful writer's secret? For me, I think the key is that he
      never writes women characters as women..."

      In the Books on First blog, Carolyn Chin discusses Making Money and
      how the Glooper could have shown in advance the USA credit crises:

      "Making Money was first published on 1 October 2008. That means he
      must have written it at least one year before, at least six months
      before the cracks in the world economic system began to show
      (although predicted by contrarians skeptical of the "new
      paradigm")... [Moist] learns all about the Royal Bank of Ankh-
      Morpork and the Royal Mint – how it costs more than a penny to make
      a penny, how everyone believes gold is the basis of the Ankh-Morpork
      currency and is what keeps the Banks honest, how most people rather
      put their money in a sock under the mattress rather than trust the
      Banks, how almost anything, say potatoes, could be more valuable
      than gold, and how Topsy's nephew Hubert is close to perfecting the
      Balance of Payments system or affectionately, "the Glooper," an
      apparatus of water, glass pipes, valves and tipping buckets which
      can be used to predict possible economic futures, given scenarios.

      "Hubert demonstrates with the Glooper what would happen if people
      lost all confidence in banks – the flow of money moving out of
      banks and into the Old Sock Under the Mattress, resulting in banks
      ceasing to lend money out and business expansion slowing,
      foreclosures, job losses, and ultimately, the economy at a total
      standstill, with people with no or insufficient savings going
      hungry, farms reverting to wilderness and trolls rampaging down from
      the mountain. Sound familiar? This is the scenario that TARP
      (Troubled Asset Relief Program) and QE II (The United States Federal
      Bank's Second Quantitative Easing) are meant to avoid, but the banks
      are not cooperating – that is, not doing what banks by definition
      do, giving savers no reason to put their money in the banks and
      seeing no reason expose themselves to risk by lending to businesses
      when they can earn more income garnering interest on Treasury bills
      and charging fees to each other and to consumers. The Royal Bank of
      Ankh-Morpork also was not taking in deposits or lending out money
      when Moist arrives on the scene. He quickly changes all that..."

      In Review Haven, Adam Bourke talks about Pratchett in general and
      Night Watch in particular, giving it (or perhaps the entire series)
      ten out of ten:

      "It's read by Tony Robinson, and although it's abridged, I would
      recommend listening to it. Robinson's voice perfectly fits the
      spirit of Discworld... I would recommend nearly every one of Terry
      Pratchett's books to anyone who likes fantasy. He's the only Humour
      Author I've ever really enjoyed, and has an almost unique way of
      making people laugh..."

      Blogger Charlie aka CC grumbles a bit about Unseen Academicals:

      "I've been a big fan of Terry Pratchett ever since I was introduced
      to his works back in 1990... Over the years, I've noticed that the
      tone of Sir Pratchett's writing has changed considerably; no longer
      is he simply the ribald uncle telling hillarious tales to his
      rolling nieces and nephews; instead he has become the kindly
      grandfather, who uses sublety and wit to convey his points while
      still entertaining. Wry chuckles take the place of outright guffaws.
      The audience has grown older and wiser, and so has the storyteller.

      "I read 'Unseen Academicals' with mixed feelings... whereas before
      the author had displayed a rather deft hand at preventing epic plots
      from collapsing in on themselves, there is something about this
      storyline – involving a football (or soccer, depending on where
      you are from) game – that feels both less than epic and
      overwhelmed towards the end..."

      More Disc poetry! "Dawn on the Disc", by Geektastic Pentameter:

      Yolk pricked out from a half-done egg,
      yellow morning creeps across a white sea,

      rolls like a stroll along a still river
      where the daylight isn't pitched enough
      to strike the other bank,

      hangs like bitumen in the longest experiment
      while the world waits for the fall,
      without enough elephants
      to shoulder it all.

      [Editor's note: you may remember the previous featured Discworld
      poetry, the sonnet "Pan Narrans" by Jim Tait, at
      http://prairiepagan.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/pan-narrans/ – as
      featured in this section in our March 2011 issue.]

      Pyramids, reviewed by blogger The Ink Slinger:

      "Having steeped myself in several volumes of rather bleak fiction
      (ala Lord of the Flies), I felt I needed a break. I wanted a funny
      book, one that didn't take itself so seriously. Somehow or other,
      Terry Pratchett's name appeared on my list of to-be-read-authors.
      I did a bit of research, dropped by the library, and borrowed
      Pyramids. It fit the bill perfectly...

      "Who should read Pyramids? Everyone... over a certain age, that is.
      While most of the humor is quite clean, there are several instances
      of sexual innuendo/suggestive dialogue..."

      An interesting forum thread about UK and USA editions of Discworld
      novels, started by user Burkshifter:

      "One strange thing I've noticed with discworld books – along with
      a lot of other books by non-American authors is that the editions
      published in the author's country tend to read better. Being
      American, I started reading discworld with the American books, but
      then when I was on a trip to London I picked up a few UK editions.
      The ones with the Josh Kidby covers. The difference is huge.
      Something about Americanizing the spelling, punctuations, and
      colloquialisms really takes a lot out of the books. I couldn't
      imagine if, say, Tolkien or Lewis or Dickens were Americanized. Has
      anybody else noticed this? Does this stand true for other authors?"

      One long, thoughtful answer was from user Jan van Quirm:

      "As I got CoM and LF around 1983 so when they were first out, there
      was nothing around like Josh Kirby's coverwork and they really did
      match the spirit of Terry's writing at a time when SF&F was still
      v.influenced by heavy duty fantasy. So Discworld needed something as
      different and innovative as the 'fun' art that Josh was brilliant at
      – and Terry loved his work anyway and for that reason.

      "But times change and I can see the attraction of the black covers
      'cos they're beautifully photographed but they don't 'match' the
      tone of Terry's writing that well, although they're visually
      attractive and look slick on a rack. Terry's work is slick but it's
      also and more importantly multi-layered and rich in texture of all
      sorts with the humour threading through – the lovely sea-chest
      with the coins on top may say a bit about the Luggage and Twoflower
      with all his dosh, but says nothing about the chaos and naked greed
      of the Broken Drum burning down or the adventures at Wyrmberg or in
      the Temple of Belshamaroth. Kirby's illustration of the riot at the
      Drum caught the spirit of that mayhem and playfulness and because,
      at the time, it looked fun as well as different and new for that
      genre, it did the writing justice.

      "In the US the market is different perhaps so different cover art is
      needed and that's evidenced by the reaction of some people over here
      to Unseen Academicals for instance. As 'soccer's' a minority sport
      over in the States the nuance and beauty of Paul Kidby's cover is
      completely lost on most US fans so you get the truly naff (to UK
      eyes) US version with the arms in the air and the round ball
      (thankfully they got that right!) which perhaps doesn't do much for
      them either but at least says something about the content even if
      not particularly accurate of the gameplay.

      "Horses for courses and times change but for fans who've been there
      from the start Josh's covers are inextricably linked to the pleasure
      we all felt when we first discovered Discworld and for that reason
      he'll always be my favourite Pratchett illustrator."

      To read the entire thread:

      A long and relatively extensive overview of (most of) the Discworld
      novels by mathematician and blogger Florian Kaferbock, covering
      (most of) the novels with a description of and brief opinion on

      "Having been one of Britain's foremost top-selling authors for
      decades Pratchett has written more than 30 novels of his famous
      series of books which for want of a better word must be described as
      satiric fantasy literature. I am proud owner of 23 of them and have
      read many others rented from libraries, so I think I am qualified in
      judging them. In the few cases where I don't know a book well
      enough to warrant an opinion I clearly say so...."

      Kaferbock has some odd opinions, but at least he took the time to
      commit them to the pages...

      Part 1: http://tinyurl.com/3bp86bt

      Part 2: http://tinyurl.com/44tpggv

      Part 3: http://tinyurl.com/42ru2gc

      ...and another Discworld series overview, this one by self-described
      "opinionated Scotsman" Chris, who lists Discworld as his favourite
      book series:

      "The real draw of Discworld, however, is the characters. Populating
      this land are some of the finest fictional characters, fun and
      cartoonish and larger than life yet complex and compelling...
      Pratchett embues the stories with a rich vein of references to fairy
      tales, modern culture, classic literature and more. Such
      proliferation could easily have overbalanced the stories, yet
      Pratchett somehow strikes the right note, allowing for the stories
      to be enjoyed on a shallow level whilst more diligent readers get a
      reward for their effort. If this sounds all very intimidating, it

      ...and a third, from blogger Pili, with explanatory diagrams:

      "You might be thinking that a series comprised of so many books can
      be too daunting to even try to start, or that it would get boring
      and dragging for so many books, but I can assure you nothing is
      further from the truth! ...they are not the kind of books you need
      to read one after the other, they're actually divided into different
      story arcs, so they can be grouped into smaller series if you may,
      and even so, each book can be read as a story on its own, though of
      course, there are references to previous novels here and there...
      chock full of references to world history & events, fantasy books,
      superstitions, fairy tales, and even Shakespeare! They're the kinda
      books that make you giggle and laugh out loud..."

      Blogger Shaun M. Coates, already a Discworld fan, was delighted to
      discover The Wee Free Men:

      "Pratchett does a brilliant job balancing the main character's youth
      and 'at times' innocence with the 'Stealin', Fightin', Drinkin''
      ways of the Feegles. In fact, I can't imagine the book being as
      successful, if it was just one or the other. The Feegle's language
      takes a bit of getting used to. Having lived in England for three
      years and hearing very different dialects from the American English
      dialects, you would think I would have been prepared. I was not. By
      the end of the book though, 'Ye begin tae kin whit they ur
      sayin''!... I really enjoyed this book. In fact probably my fav of
      the Discworld so far. Moving forward I hope to see the Nac Mac
      Feegles ability to jump between dimensions explored further. I would
      also like to see Tiffany eventually leave Chalk and explore the
      Discworld at large. I think that I will stick with this series
      moving forward (I believe there are presently 4 books). I am curious
      to see exactly what Tiffany's true powers are. If nothing else, she
      is definitely one sharp cookie..."

      Blogger David Hebblethwaite couldn't give Wintersmith his total
      adoration. And he doesn't think the Nac mac Feegle are funny:

      "My experience of the later Discworld novels has tended to be that
      they're OK, but don't match up to the best of the series – not in
      terms of their humour, conception, or the incisiveness with which
      they treat their themes. Wintersmith continues that trend...
      Pratchett has a story literally affecting the lives and the world in
      the way that Tiffany has become caught up in the story of the
      Wintersmith and the Summer Lady; but the theme is also there in the
      way that, although witchcraft is shown to be more about things like
      observation than magic per se, it's important for witches to
      cultivate an air of mystique, because that's what the people need
      their witches to have... it doesn't have the spark of his best
      work. And the disparate elements of Wintersmith don't seem to me
      to come together into a successful whole. The Nac Mac Feegle (the
      warrior-like fairy folk who have become Tiffany's 'protectors'
      over the course of the series) feel rather awkwardly inserted into
      the story; and, despite being the main comic-cut characters, don't
      raise much more than the odd smile..."

      Blogger Just Jill read tCoM and just didn't get it. Although quite
      how someone can say that whilst claiming in the same post that the
      book made her laugh out loud repeatedly is, um, a lovely example of
      our species' penchant for cognitive dissonance...

      "I expected to give this book a rather dismal review. And while I'm
      not about to give it a glowing one, it's going to be better than it
      originally would have been... I have to say, I laughed out loud
      multiple times while reading this book. It's definitely funny at
      times. There are some eye-rolling puns, but you can't help but smile
      at them and the way Pratchett delivers them. My problem with this
      book was that it never really took a hold of me... The main
      character is a wizard called Rincewind. And I have to say, I find
      him altogether rather unlikeable. He's not terrible, but he's a
      bit of a whiner. All he wants to do is not be in whatever situation
      he's in... I get the feeling he'll be a recurring Discworld
      character, so hopefully I don't find him too annoying should he make
      an appearance in whichever book I pick next..."

      Blogger Tophat has fallen for Moist von Lipwig in a big way:

      "I came to the party a bit too late here. By the time I was browsing
      Pratchett's work for the first time, most of his books were
      sporting a mark that said 'Celebrating 25 extraordinary years of
      Discworld!' on them... Today, I'm amassing quite the collection of
      Pratchett's work. If I had to pick a favorite, Going Postal would
      take the top spot by a landslide... The city exists on the knife's
      edge between fantasy and technology. A lot of the things that we
      take for granted in our world are huge developments in Discworld.
      On the other hand, we don't often have to worry if the vampire
      across the room is a black ribbon wearer who has sworn off blood or
      not, or if the guy who is employing an Igor is insane, dangerous or
      simply overly rich. Some things stay the same, however... Enter
      Moist von Lipwig. He's just exiting, really. We're introduced
      to Moist as he's awaiting his execution in an Ankh-Morpork prison
      under the assumed name of Albert Spangler for doing a large variety
      of Bad Things. To call Moist a petty thief is like calling the Pope
      slightly religious... This is my favorite Pratchett novel so far,
      mainly because it contains Moist von Lipwig at his finest..."

      In a long, analytical essay, blogger Incurable Bluestocking (who
      gave Witches Abroad 4.5 stars in last month's review) goes all the
      way to five for Lords and Ladies:

      "This isn't just my favourite Pratchett book; this is one of my all
      -time favourite books. One of the books that will make the list if
      someone asks me for my Top Five... This book treats the Fae
      properly. Which is to say, as terrifying creatures who are the
      reason iron horseshoes are considered lucky, because we once needed
      it to protect us; as hypnotizing, merciless, pitiless, and
      unfeeling; as dangerous and carelessly destructive, thieves of
      children, slayers of cattle, ruiners of crops, who steal everything
      and leave nothing and take and take and take; as the dark truths
      behind a hundred nursery rhymes where, as Pratchett puts it,
      protective charms and cautionary warnings are passed down 'from
      grandmother to grandchild in little bits of nonsense they won't
      bother to forget.' In a way, the book is a nice satire of the
      transformation the Fae have undergone in the last two hundred years
      or so... All these disparate pieces weave together so beautifully
      that you hardly notice until they've collided into each other in
      perfect orchestration. Lords and Ladies is, apart from hitting so
      many of my favourite buttons, one of the more beautifully
      constructed books I've ever read — mostly because you don't even
      think about how beautifully constructed it is unless you really
      pause to step back from it and consider..."

      Blogger Randomize Me reviews ISWM:

      "And so we reach the end... the last book in the YA fantasy series,
      and I just didn't want it to end – I really strung out reading
      this one as long as I could. Now, I'm one of those people who delete
      all the books after I've read them on my Kindle (since all the
      books are in the Archive anyway), but this one? I'm keeping it (for
      sentimental reasons). I just felt this sense of complete
      satisfaction after I'd read it – felt so good and happy inside,
      and even though I was sad to say goodbye to Tiffany and the Nac Mac
      Feegles, I was also content at where Tiffany and her friends were at
      when I reached the last page (and that's a sentiment that I usually
      don't feel about many series' finales that I've read!)... There are
      so many things to love about I Shall Wear Midnight – the always
      irreverent Nac Mac Feegles, the castle guard Preston (a funny new
      character who will totally grow on you the way he did on Tiffany –
      I kept on wondering when Tiffany would get over Roland and just see
      that more interesting boys were around!), and to up the
      sentimentality quotient, so many of my favorite characters showed up
      here too – Commander Vimes, Captain Carrot, Granny Weatherwax,
      Nanny Ogg, etc etc. Tiffany's brief visit to Ankh-Morpork actually
      made me home-sick for it – and I suddenly felt this urge to re-
      read my entire collection of Discworld books..."

      Blogger Kate Shrewsday discusses Discworld "science" as it could be
      applied to the current Roundworld cinema craze for ever more

      "Pratchett is one of the great geniuses of my formative years. To
      me, he is simply superlative. No-one will ever take his place. His
      perfect sense of irony means that even in this semi-mediaeval flat
      world, devices exist to do many of the jobs our electronic gismos
      achieve in our world: but through means magical or mythical. Much of
      the technology from Twoflower's neck of the woods – watches,
      razors, eventually even movie cameras – is imp-powered... Imagine,
      then, the possibilities for fourth dimensional thinking. We could
      sit in the auditorium while imps wafted us with fixed-leaf fans or
      held half-full colanders over our heads to simulate downpours. They
      could wheel in tiny imp-proportioned portable kitchens and create
      sumptuous baking smells, and pelt us with mini-missiles during
      warfare scenarios. The possibilities are endless..."

      Blogger mymumsanenglishteacher makes a short observation about the
      delights of Pratchett addiction:

      "Any fan of the Discworld series will know what it's like to be
      addicted to Terry Pratchett's writing. I only recently discovered
      it, (even though his writing has been around for over 20 years) and
      I think it is absolutely brilliant... Pratchett's humourous style
      makes you want to read more, along with his wordplay and outstanding
      characters. He has succeeded in creating a well rounded universe
      which makes you feel as if you are actually there. Pratchett is one
      of those authors who really make you wonder where they got their
      inspiration from. It defies all cliches in the most admirable

      On the "Lego and Discworld blog and fansite" Bricks and Books (now
      there's an unusual combination...), RJH writes about the 1998-2008
      Discworld Diaries, with images, descriptions, and typical prices at
      which these change hands:

      "The first diary was published in 1998 and called the Unseen
      University Diary, to get this one it will set you back around £110,
      as all diaries were printed with a limited run so finding good
      copies are rare and the series has become one of the most

      20) CLOSE

      And that's it for the moment. Your monthly Discworld horoscope, plus
      any late breaking news, follows later in the month. But just before
      I close, let me leave you with a link to a lovely Discworld-themed
      image as sent in by roving reporter Llin Thomas:

      Happy harvest to all, or happy almost-spring to our readers in
      Fourecks and the Land of Fog!

      – Annie Mac

      The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: