WOSSNAME -- May 2011 -- main issue

    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2011
      May 2011 (Volume 14, Issue 5, Post 1)
      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide
      Staff Writers: Asti, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      03) ISWM WINS NORTON AWARD
      04) PTERRY MEETS THE QUEEN... AGAIN
      05) PTERRY DOWN UNDER, CONTINUED
      06) "SNUFF" NEWS
      07) OLD SCHOOL MEMORIES...
      08) ...AND THAT RICH LIST
      09) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      10) PRATCHETT OPENS CHELSEA FLOWER SHOW SOLAR EXHIBIT
      11) ...AND OPENS A NEW BIRD HOSPITAL
      12) TROLL BRIDGE SPONSORSHIP CAMPAIGN
      13) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
      14) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS
      15) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      16) CONVENTION NEWS AND UPDATES
      17) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS
      18) REVIEW: NIGHT WATCH
      19) DISCWORLD TATTOO IDEAS
      20) IMAGE OF THE MONTH
      21) ABP BITS
      22) DISCWORLD AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE
      23) LATE BREAKING NEWS

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "People know what Jesus said – Bill and Ted said it too: be
      excellent to one another."

      – Pterry, live at the Sydney Opera House, 17th April 2011

      "I had a letter once, 'I'm 75, I bet I'm your oldest reader.' And I
      said 'Nooo, I believe my oldest fan reader, that I'm familiar with,
      is in fact going to the next American Discworld convention from
      England, and I believe she's 90. And the lady concerned can play the
      most ferocious Granny Weatherwax. You have never seen ferocious
      until she glares at you.'"

      – and live at the Auckland (NZ) Town Hall, 14th April 2011

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      The Glorious 25th is upon us! And sharing the day, of course, with
      Towel Day. I've noticed many people getting ready for both by
      hunting and collecting lilac-coloured towels. Will you wear the
      lilac? And do you know where your towel is?

      Our favourite author has been busy as a busy thing recently. Hot on
      the heels of his mega Down Under tour, he's cut some ribbons
      (figuratively, at least), met the Queen again (wearing his Professor
      hat this time), won yet another prestigious award (the Norton, for I
      Shall Wear Midnight), and quite a lot more... far more than most
      people manage in the flood of youth and health, never mind people
      who suffer from PCA and are almost old enough to qualify for a bus
      pass. I have to say it leaves me in awe (yes, almost half of that
      word that Rob isn't supposed to say).

      Sadly, Going Postal didn't win any BAFTA Craft awards this year
      despite multiple nominations. But at least it made the final cut!
      See here for a full list of winners and nominees:

      http://tinyurl.com/2u9zdyn

      Right, we've another huge issue for you this month, O Readers, so on
      with the show...

      03) ISWM WINS A GOOD'UN AT THE NEBULA AWARDS

      I Shall Wear Midnight has won the Andre Norton Award for Young Adult
      Science Fiction and Fantasy! Or as Pterry ptweeted, "At last! A
      Nebula Award! Thank you one and all."

      The Norton Award is bestowed yearly by the Science Fiction & Fantasy
      Writers of America. The 2010 winner (ISWM) was announced and
      presented at the Nebula Awards Weekend, which took place on 21st May
      in Washington, DC, and was accepted on the author's behalf by
      NADWcon's own Emily Whitten.

      For a full list of nominees and winners, go to:

      http://www.locusmag.com/News/2011/05/2010-nebula-awards-winners/

      More about the Norton Award:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Norton_Award

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) THE KNIGHT AND THE QUEEN

      Here be a post from author and well-loved Discworld convention guest
      Diane Duane about certain recent goings-on at Trinity College
      Dublin:

      "Having earlier stopped in at Aras an Uachtarain to be greeted by
      the President of Ireland, and having then laid a wreath at the
      Garden of Remembrance in Dublin, Queen Elizabeth II went to Trinity
      College. She had a look at a facsimile of the Book of Kells, and
      then met with various folks associated with Trinity — including
      one Professor Doctor Sir Terry Pratchett, his stalwart assistant Rob
      Wilkins, and the erudite Colin Smythe, writer-publisher
      extraordinaire..."

      http://tinyurl.com/3k7g8ck (includes video of the event!)

      Some lovely stills here of "Her Maj" with Pterry, Rob, and Colin
      Smythe:

      http://www.dianeduane.com/outofambit/an-afternoon-at-trinity-stills

      ...and an amusing tweet from The Author on his Twitter page: "Oh
      yes, that was us and HM at TCD. She had a battered copy of Good
      Omens to be signed."

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) MORE FROM PTERRY'S VISIT DOWN UNDER

      Some more bits from Fourecks...

      Complete video of the Sydney Opera House gig. Chocka with wonderful
      moments:

      http://tinyurl.com/3tcwgag

      A fine radio interview, on the ABC's programme All in the Mind:

      http://www.abc.net.au/rn/allinthemind/stories/2011/3202093.htm

      ...and on to the Land of Fog...

      Blogger JJ, who self-describes as "not a diehard Terry Pratchett
      fan", found Pterry's live appearance at the Auckland Town Hall a
      thoroughly entertaining evening:

      "No only did the extract [from Snuff] have me laughing aloud, but so
      did Terry Pratchett himself. All too often, writers who manage to
      make their books so wonderfully humorous seem rather dull in
      comparison. Terry, however, had a punchline for every anecdote, and
      was good humoured about everything... I wasn't expecting to have my
      mind broadened by this talk, but really, it was very eye opening. If
      you ever get the chance to go listen to him talk, I suggest doing
      so..."

      http://tinyurl.com/3fjkkgp

      Blogger Flynn the Cat made a mighty attempt at transcribing the
      entire show, in two posts:

      http://tinyurl.com/3ufulkv (part one)

      http://tinyurl.com/3gbofa7 (part two)

      From the Auckland Libraries site:

      "Last Friday, Mark Sainsbury and the crew from Close Up were at
      Auckland Libraries to interview the renowned fantasy writer, Terry
      Pratchett, and eager fans were not disappointed... 'Terry was
      charming and I feel quite privileged to have met him. He spoke about
      how his books are about the commonalities of humanity,' says
      Auckland Libraries Regional Resources Manager, Louise LaHatte."

      There are also a number of Pratchett statistics for the library,
      which include the interesting fact that Making Money is the most-
      borrowed Discworld book!

      http://tinyurl.com/3zyzb3x

      ...and here be a link to the excellent interview on New Zealand
      telly's Close Up programme, with presenter Mark Sainsbury:

      http://tvnz.co.nz/view/video_popup_flash_skin/4134105

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      06) SNUFF NEWS

      A page about Snuff:

      http://www.squidoo.com/snuff-pratchett

      Spoilers, sweetie:

      The latest official teasers on the Pratchett Facebook page include
      an image of the forthcoming Kidby cover in full colour, and a list
      of five new characters who will appear in the novel:

      http://www.facebook.com/pratchett

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      07) THE (SCHOOL)BOY "DONE GOOD"...

      Holtspur School's most famous alumnus shared his schooldays memories
      in honour of his former school's 60th birthday. The Bucks Free
      Press, also Sir Pterry's former haunt, reported:

      "Holtspur School on Cherry Tree Road first opened on May 1, 1951 and
      pupils are taking a trip back in time to learn about its history.
      Former headmaster Bill Tame led the school for 31 of its 60 years
      and features prominently in many people's recollections. Best-
      selling novelist Sir Terry, who attended Holtspur in the 1950s,
      remembered Mr Tame as 'a giant of a man' who was a 'pioneer for sex
      education for older primary school children'. Sir Terry, who is also
      a former Bucks Free Press reporter, wrote to the primary school:
      'Some time later on, as an adult, I met him at an event and was
      amazed at the miracle that meant he was now about the same size as
      me. In all truth, I cannot say that my memories of Holtspur School
      were of the warmest, but possibly that was entirely because I was an
      absolutely quintessential example of a twit and dreamer.
      Fortuitously I survived, and the talent of dreaming I subsequently
      found, when under control, to be remarkably rewarding. That which
      does not kill us makes us strong...'

      "Current headteacher Bronwen Zeun, who took over in 2007, said she
      was sure Sir Terry would find the school more enjoyable if he were a
      pupil today. She added: 'We'd certainly encourage and support his
      creativity, and hopefully would give him space, too, to dream his
      fantastic dreams.'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/3okz5q6

      Holtspur School's website:
      http://www.holtspur.bucks.sch.uk/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) ...AND ALL OF YOU DID GOOD FOR HIM!

      According to the Sunday Times Rich List of 2011, as reported in The
      Bookseller, Pterry has earned a good living from sales of his books:

      Authors in the top 1,000 include Harry Potter author J K Rowling, in
      at number 142... Chef, author, restaurateur and campaigner Jamie
      Oliver's earnings rank him at 679... The newspaper also estimates
      fortunes for Barbara Taylor Bradford of £181m, Jackie Collins of
      £60m, Jack Higgins of £55m, Ken Follett of £50m and Terry Pratchett
      of £42m..."

      All together now: hip hip hurrah!

      http://tinyurl.com/3bnrmhv

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      09) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      9.1 PRESENTING "CHOOSING TO DIE" AT DOC/FEST

      from RealScreen:

      "Novelist and film subject Sir Terry Pratchett will also attend
      Doc/Fest to present Terry Pratchett: Choosing to Die, in which he
      look s at the topic of assisted death through his own experience as
      one who wishes to choose when he dies. Pratchett, who also worked
      with the BBC on the two-part doc Terry Pratchett: living with
      Alzheimer's, will also give a masterclass."

      http://tinyurl.com/3u64sgf

      from the Sheffield Telegraph:

      "Fashion designer Ozwald Boateng and best-selling author Terry
      Pratchett are among the personalities who will be attending
      Sheffield Doc/Fest next month. They both have films made about them
      in the line-up of more than 100 documentaries being shown at the
      festival which is taking place in the summer for the first time...
      Terry Pratchett: Choosing to Die looks at the realities of assisted
      death will be introduced by the fantasy writer who will also give a
      masterclass...

      "The full programme for Sheffield Doc/Fest which runs from June 8-12
      at venues across Sheffield is on www.sheffdocfest.com."

      http://tinyurl.com/3hqx3vm

      9.2 ENCOUNTERS WITH MADNESS

      Pterry has contributed to an important new book on mental illness
      and other brain disturbances.

      from the Dorset Echo:

      "Dr Francis C. Biley, an associate professor at Bournemouth
      University, is one of the co-editors of 'Our Encounters with
      Madness' – a collections of true stories from mental health
      service users, carers and survivors. Among the contributors to the
      book is internationally renowned author Terry Pratchett, who
      describes his personal battle with early onset Alzheimer's disease.

      "The aim of the book is to use personal experiences to create a
      greater understanding about mental health conditions. It will also
      raise funds for a good cause, with all profits from Our Encounters
      with Madness going to the Hub centre for the homeless in
      Dorchester... The stories in the book are collected under five
      themes – diagnosis, stories of experience, experiencing the mental
      health system, being a carer, abuse and survival..."

      http://tinyurl.com/3d34czh

      from PR Web:

      "Amongst those who share their stories is award-winning novelist
      Terry Pratchett who describes his very public battle with early
      onset Alzheimer's disease. All of the contributors to Our Encounters
      with Madness have written freely about their own personal
      experiences without being subjected to analytical commentary which,
      say the book's editors, tend to dilute or sanitise true tales. 'This
      book is all about society's experience of "madness",' said co-editor
      Dr Francis C. Biley, Associate Professor and member of the Centre
      for Qualitative Research in the School of Health and Social Care at
      Bournemouth University. 'That word has been used for over 150 years
      to describe mental illness. In a professional and a lay sense, it
      has come to be labelled as a derogatory term but sufferers and
      service-users more recently use the word as a way of taking control
      and emancipating themselves from their own condition. Mental health
      problems are also labelled as "diseases" without any real evidence
      to support that they are... We've asked those who have experienced
      mental health challenges to write about the real world of mental
      health care. Every story is different and what we've put together is
      a snapshot of the kinds of problems that exist with a message that
      it is possible to recover...'

      "Our Encounters with Madness is published by PCCS Books (ISBN 978 1
      906254 38 4). All profits from the book will be donated to The Hub,
      a charity helping the homeless in Dorchester, Dorset, UK."

      10) OOK! PRATCHETT OPENS CHELSEA FLOWER SHOW SOLAR EXHIBIT

      from Open PR:

      "SKYShades UK Ltd is delighted to announce that Sir Terry Pratchett
      will be officially opening the SKYShades Show Garden at this
      year's Chelsea Flower Show. Sir Terry Pratchett is one of the most
      popular authors writing today. He is best known for his hugely
      popular Discworld novels, a fantasy series, which feature the
      Librarian as an orangutan. This prompted Sir Terry Pratchett's
      curiosity about orangutans and his long-term support of the
      Orangutan Foundation. In 1995, Terry visited Indonesian Borneo with
      the Orangutan Foundation to see orangutans in the wild. The film
      'Jungle Quest' was shown on Channel 4. Sir Terry is a Trustee of
      the Orangutan Foundation and with his interest in conservation and
      the environment, it is very fitting that he is opening the SKYshades
      garden together with Ashley Leiman OBE, Director and Founder of the
      Orangutan Foundation... SKYShades and the Orangutan Foundation are
      both playing their part to mitigate climate change. SKYshades, by
      using solar photovoltaic technology to reduce the need for fossil
      fuels and the Orangutan Foundation by protecting critical tropical
      forest habitats.

      "The Orangutan Foundation, a UK charity founded in 1990, is the
      world's foremost orangutan conservation organisation. They are
      saving Asia's endangered great ape by protecting their tropical
      forest habitat, working with local communities and promoting
      research and education. The approach of the Orangutan Foundation
      goes beyond that of purely protecting the orangutan. Critically it
      also includes a recognition that orangutan habitat is unique in its
      richness of biodiversity and crucial for local communities, who are
      as dependant on the forest as is the orangutan. Conservation is more
      than protecting a species, it is about saving nature which includes
      us, 'the fifth ape'. The efforts of all of us to prevent global
      warming will be seen as a defining moment in history, for humanity's
      sake and for the health of the whole planet. Tropical forests can
      play a significant role in guarding against climate change."

      http://tinyurl.com/3ep8f32

      www.orangutanfoundation.org.uk

      from the Solar Power Portal:

      "The SKYShades Garden demonstrates how, in a relatively small area,
      it is possible to create a work environment that is both bio-diverse
      and eco-friendly. The office is set amongst plantings of wild
      flowers, herbs, water and woodland and is powered by the solar
      photovoltaic panels. It is hoped that visitors will be inspired to
      include renewable energy solutions into buildings, whether it's an
      energy self-sufficient home office in the garden, farm barn or
      warehouse. By finding alternative uses of energy the threat of
      climate change will be reduced.

      "Sir Terry Pratchett is best known for his Discworld novels, a
      fantasy series, which feature the Librarian as an orangutan. This
      explains Pratchett's long-term support of the Orangutan
      Foundation, of which he is now a Trustee.

      "The RHS Chelsea Flower Show runs from 24-28 May 2011 and is the
      world's most famous flower show and is a celebration of the highest
      quality horticulture."

      http://tinyurl.com/4yl8rlk

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) ...AND OPENS A NEW BIRD HOSPITAL ROOM AT SECRET WORLD

      You may remember the name of UK wildlife rescuers Secret World from
      WOSSNAME's recent feature on murdered swans. No perpetrators have
      yet been charged for that, but here be some more pleasant news about
      the centre!

      from www.burnham-on-sea.com:

      "Fantasy novelist Sir Terry Pratchett visited East Huntspill's
      Secret World wildlife rescue centre on Friday afternoon (May 20th)
      to open a new bird hospital... Sir Terry performed the opening,
      assisted by the family and friends of Jasmine Clare, a little girl
      who died of meningitis last year and was a regular visitor to Secret
      World. The well-known children's author said he was 'delighted and
      honoured' to be asked to open the hospital and was also joined by
      Burnham-On-Sea Mayor, Michael Clarke. With the number of orphaned
      and injured birds increasing yearly it was recently decided that a
      specialist bird room is needed to accommodate the animals. A special
      appeal to raise funds for the bird room to be built was launched
      last Spring and it is already being put to good use with lots of
      baby birds making good use of the facilities..."

      http://tinyurl.com/3jwvy4c

      from Burnham and Highbridge Weekly News:

      "The author of the Discworld novels opened the room in memory of
      seven-year-old Jasmine Clare, who died from meningitis more than a
      year ago. Jasmine enjoyed visiting the animal sanctuary and the bird
      room will be named after her. Sir Terry Pratchett, who first became
      involved with the charity after February's swan shootings, joined
      join Jasmine's parents, friends and family for the opening. Secret
      World founder Pauline Kidner said: 'We have named the bird room
      after Jasmine as this will see birds taking to the wing on their
      second chance to the wild.'"

      http://tinyurl.com/3oje2go

      Secret World's website:
      http://www.secretworld.org/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) TROLL BRIDGE SPONSORSHIP CAMPAIGN

      Snowgum Films took to the internet to solicit new funds for their
      film based on an adaptation of Troll Bridge. The production was
      languishing in a sort of moribund "no-development hell", but
      completion is now looking far more promising...

      The original pitch at kickstarter.com, with guest appearance by Sir
      Pterry and a strangely, er, familiar-looking Cohen the Barbarian:

      http://tinyurl.com/5vbz6j8

      The io9 article that gave Snowgum's project a massive boost:

      "To boost the quota of epic-ness in Troll Bridge, a short prologue
      scene was written (which Terry Pratchett contributed some dialogue
      for) has already been shot. This prologue introduces Cohen in his
      prime, as a young man battling several armies at once. This scene
      was built to counter balance and strengthen the intimacy of the
      later scenes with Cohen, empowering the viewers to appreciate and
      relate to the challenges of age that Cohen now finds himself in. For
      all intents and purposes – Cohen's journey to Death Bridge in
      which the troll resides, heralds the expectation that it will his
      last. To adequately depict Cohen at the end of adventure – it's
      important to show him at the beginning..."

      "Given what they've already accomplished, I think it's safe to say
      that Pratchett's vision is safe in this group's hands. Plus, their
      Kickstarter video with Cohen talking to his horse is utterly
      priceless..."

      http://tinyurl.com/3hwmlw7

      The latest update, showing the number of backers for each pledge
      level and a video message from gobsmacked-at-the-success-of-the-
      campaign director Daniel Knight:

      732 Backers
      $52,969 pledged of $45,000 goal
      45 days to go

      http://tinyurl.com/3jz6nop

      Having already reached the original goal long before the closing
      date, Snowgum have updated their funding goal to $55,000. The
      company now plans to shoot some new footage in Middle Eart-, um, New
      Zealand. According to Snowgum's blurb/promo page:

      "Cohen is an eighty-seven year old barbarian hero. In a world where
      the undead have formed an equal rights movement, goblins are on the
      endangered species list and the evil forest of Cutshade is being
      logged, this can only lead to one course of action: to face a troll
      in mortal combat. Troll Bridge is based on the short story by well
      loved author Terry Pratchett. Set in the phenomenally successful
      Discworld series, the film is satirical of The Lord of the Rings,
      Conan, and at least one well known fairy tale. Talking horses, mad
      warlords, wizards, warriors, war, death, destruction and a ten foot
      tall troll made of stone... all set against an epic backdrop in a
      world gone mad! Could you possibly ask for more?"

      http://www.snowgumfilms.com/trollbridge/index2.html

      Well now, at least one longtime Discworld fan thinks the world could
      ask for *less*. A few weeks ago, sometime WOSSNAME relief Editor
      Steven D'Aprano wrote a response at BU (ozdw) to the news of the
      funding drive:

      "Troll Bridge is a sweet little story about a man and a troll who
      are getting old as the world moves on and leaves them behind. It
      would make a good fifteen minute short film with two or three people
      and some special effects. I'd like to see that.

      "I've seen the promotional clip of Troll Bridge the film. I'm sure
      that the extras making it had a lot of fun running around in costume
      pretending to be medieval warriors fighting a huge battle for Middle
      Earth, or whatever, but that has nothing to do with Troll Bridge.
      Whatever Snowgum Films is making, (quite professionally, I'll give
      them that) it is not Troll Bridge. It appears to be a Lord of the
      Rings fantasy rip off with a cast of thousands that could be set on
      any of a million generic faux-medieval fantasy worlds. Their promo
      clip has nothing to do with Discworld and completely misses the
      point of the story. This does not make me enthusiastic about
      supporting this... I don't want to see a beautiful short story about
      people getting old (even if some of them are rocks) turned into a
      Fantasy Epic In A Worlde Gonne Madde!! With A Thousand Elephants!!!"

      [Editor's note: I can see both sides of this. My own fear is that,
      should this project come to fruition, Troll Bridge the film will
      bear little to no resemblance to Troll Bridge the short story, and
      this would be a shame. On the other hand, I see a definite chance
      that Snowgum's film just might manage to create a believable – and
      memorable – vision of the Discworld we know and love.]

      Snowgum Films' website:

      http://www.snowgumfilms.com/news/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS

      A lovely Royal Wedding commemorative first day cover, from the
      Cunning Artificer! No, not *that* Royal Wedding, the *other* one:

      http://www.discworldemporium.com/catalog.php?item=747&catid=15

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS

      NEW "ANKH-MORPORK" PRESS RELEASE

      Coming soon from Treefrog Games...

      ANKH-MORPORK

      A new Discworld boardgame based on the novels of Sir Terry
      Pratchett.

      Trouble is Brewing on the mean streets of Ankh-Morpork, and it's
      time for you to play your part its story. Be one of seven
      personalities vying for control of the Discworld's premier city
      using your cunning and guile to complete your secret agenda. Along
      the way you'll encounter Wizards, Assassins, Watchmen and Thieves...
      all of whom will affect your fortunes and continually change the
      face of this mercantile metropolis.

      Whether you're hungry for power, wealth, property or peace, each
      visit to Ankh-Morpork promises a different player experience. This
      beautifully aesthetic game immerses the player in Pratchett's most
      unruly city, bringing Discworld to life at every turn. Featuring
      132 individually illustrated cards depicting the city's most
      beloved and infamous characters, locations and organisations,
      Ankh-Morpork blends multifaceted gameplay with rich visual
      stylings and the distinctive humour of Terry Pratchett's Discworld
      series.

      Up to four players can assign minions to carry out their dirty work,
      playing on a stunning map of the city, but beware of random magic
      and nefarious actions dealt by your cards and opponents that
      threaten to thwart your rise to the top.

      Brought to you by internationally renowned games designer Martin
      Wallace and a dedicated team of artists overseen by the Discworld
      Emporium. Ankh-Morpork is due for release early September 2011.

      For more information visit:
      http://www.treefroggames.com/ankh-morpork
      or contact:
      Martin@...

      15.1 REMINDER: MASKERADE IN NORFOLK

      The Harleston Players continue their production of Maskerade through
      the 28th of May.

      When: Friday and Saturday evenings, 27th-28th May 2011
      Venue: Archbishop Sancroft High School, Harleston, Norfolk
      Tickets: £8 (£6 concessions), on sale at Harleston Pet Stores
      (phone 01379 852501) or by email at harlestonplayers@...

      15.2 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN ADELAIDE

      The Unseen Theatre, premier presenter of Discworld plays in the
      continent of Fourecks, will stage Wyrd Sisters as their next
      production in June 2011. Adapted by Stephen Briggs, directed by
      Pamela Munt and David Dyte, and featuring "the usual cast of
      thousands!"

      When: Preview Fri. 10th June; opening night 11th June; season
      continues Wed to Sat until 25th June
      Venue: The Bakehouse Theatre, Angas Street, Adelaide, SA
      Time: 8pm all performances
      Tickets: Preview Night $14, Free Tix for healthcare card holders
      All other nights Adult $18, Conc $15, Groups (of 10+) $14,Fringe
      Benefits $14
      Duration: 2 hours plus a 15 minute interval

      http://www.unseen.com.au/shows/wyrd-sisters

      15.3 REMINDER: THE TRUTH IN ICKENHAM

      The Purple Theatre Company of Pinner, Middx (UK) will be performing
      Stephen Briggs' stage adaptation of The Truth from 29th Jun 2011 to
      2nd Jul 2011 at the Compass Theatre, Ickenham. No information on
      times and tickets yet, but the bookings number is 01895 673 200 and
      you can check their page for updates:

      http://www.purpletheatre.org.uk/

      15.4 TAMAHER THE MUSICAL: REVIEW OF A WORLD PREMIERE

      Year 2 students at Church Broughton Primary School, South Derbyshire
      (UK) have presented the world premiere of a musical-stage adaptation
      of The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, featuring a cast of
      seventy children and music, script and stage production by Matthew
      Holmes, a local musician who is the father of one of the cast:

      "The production could end up in thousands of primary schools across
      the country with an August release date pencilled in. Father-of-two
      Mr Holmes said: 'I was approached last year to produce a musical
      adapting one of the works of Terry Pratchett. There were lengthy
      negotiations with his agents, but I've been really overjoyed to work
      on it. He has seen the script and the music, but he hasn't seen the
      final stage production. I'm absolutely petrified, but I've done
      everything I can now. It's taken every spare moment that I have but
      it's been great to work on something you feel so passionate
      about...'"

      http://tinyurl.com/3rehc67

      15.5 MAN NEEDS YOU!!! IOM PRODUCTION OF JOHNNY AND THE DEAD SEEKS
      ACTORS

      At least 30 young actors are needed for an upcoming production of
      Terry Pratchett's Johnny and the Dead in the Isle of Man. The play
      will be presented as part of the Youth Arts Festival which is being
      organised by the Douglas Youth Arts Centre.

      "Fiona Helleur, head of youth arts, explained: 'This will be the
      first drama production for this age group at the Youth Arts Centre
      and we know it will be a lot of hard work but it promises to be an
      enjoyable experience for all involved. It's a black comedy about
      Johnny – a boy who not only sees dead people but is harassed by
      them to help save their cemetery from the evil clutches of
      Amalgamated Consolidated Holdings which wants to destroy graves and
      build an office block. We are looking for 30 young people aged 11 to
      14 who can act, or are willing to learn, to take part in this
      brilliant production which will be directed by Aaron Joughin. The
      cast can expect a lot of comedy and silliness as Johnny finds
      himself in a series of mishaps and misunderstandings as he tries to
      help the dead people.'"

      Director Joughin says, "We are looking for people who want to have
      fun on stage as this is a hilarious script that will be enjoyable to
      perform. We want young people who want to act, dance or sing and
      those who want to work backstage on set design and construction,
      sound, lighting and even as assistant director."

      Auditions for Johnny and the Dead will take place at the Douglas
      Youth Arts Centre on Wednesday, May 25 at 7.30pm. Rehearsals will
      start on Wednesday, June 15 at 7.30pm.

      For more information and to register for a place, contact:
      Fiona on 07624 437339 or e-mail f.helleur@....

      http://www.isleofman.com/News/article.aspx?article=36155

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) CONVENTION NEWS AND UPDATES

      16.1 NADWCON NEWS

      From the NADWCON May Newsletter:

      Two months to go before the Discworld collides with Madison! This
      month we hope to increase levels of anticipation with news about
      upcoming programming, parties and other fun!

      Designed by The Morpheus Company, the 2011 NADWCon pendant is now
      available! Cast in bronze or silver, this pendant features our
      clever little Ankh Morpork convention logo. It is approximately one
      inch in diameter, and is available as either a pin or pendant. This
      is a high quality piece of fine jewelry and will be made to order
      with very few available for sale during the convention. The pre-
      ordering time for this little beauty is ending soon, as the jewelers
      need time to cast them. Order now while you still can!

      http://www.nadwcon.org/Merchandise.html

      A Night in Quirm
      There are still seats available at our Gala Banquet! Sunday Night is
      going to be an evening to remember, we have great food, wonderful
      guests, and some excellent entertainment planned for you. Time is
      running out, get your banquet tickets now!

      http://www.nadwcon.org/GalaBanquet.html

      There's more to the Discworld than just partying (not that that's a
      bad thing). If you're not praying to Bilious, the Oh God of
      Hangovers, come out and play at our workshops or debate the finer
      and funnier points of Discworld at one of our panels. Our
      Programming Director, Denise Connell, is enlisting fun loving people
      to offer panels, workshops, games, game shows, arts & crafts and
      various Morpork Mob activities. Some of these will be led by our
      Honored Guests (see website).

      Would you like to make a make a Sock Mac Feegle, go hat-to-hat
      against Granny Weatherwax in a Discworld quiz, watch Discworld
      movies or play game shows hosted by C.M.O.T Dibbler and Moist Von
      Lipwig. Crivens! Come on down!

      Attendees can try their hand at running Ankh Morpork (a brand new
      Discworld game being introduced at this convention), enter our Thud!
      tournament, compete in one of our game shows or show off their
      costumes. Find fame, make friends and win prizes. Above all, have
      fun.

      Other programming items will include:

      Panels and Round Robins on such topics as
      * Discworld science & technology (with a left turn into Steampunk)
      * Nanny Sutra: Sex, Food & Discworld
      * The Discworld Beastiary
      * The Women of Discworld
      * Calling All Igors – a writing panel
      * L-space & Beyond: Discworld Around the Web
      * A Good Omens movie talk by Terry & friends
      * Extra, Extra: Hear what it's like to be work on the set of a
      Discworld movie
      * An Artist's Panel with Stephen Player & friends
      * Bringing Roundworld to Discworld: featuring the folks who make the
      fabulous Discworld artifacts.
      * Performances of Wyrd Sisters
      * Talks by the Thieves Guild
      * Costuming workshops
      * The infamous Seamstress Guild parties (every night in a different
      city!)
      * Cheese tastings (unless the Feegles get there first)
      * Dress up parties

      We also plan to commit Morris Dancing and paint a face or two.

      To see our growing list of Program Events, visit:
      http://www.nadwcon.org/Programs.html (
      http://www.nadwcon.org/Programs.html )

      Denise (known to previous convention goers as Mrs. Palm, the lady
      behind the fabulous Seamstress Guild party that opened the 2009
      convention) is seeking volunteers to assist with programming. Do you
      have suggestions for workshops, panels, games or other ideas for
      programming at NADWCon? Can you offer a workshop, serve on a panel
      or run a game? Can you moderate a panel? If so, contact her directly
      at programming@.... This is a great way to meet people,
      including our Honored and Very Special Guests.

      You can also follow our Discworld adventures on Twitter via @nadwcon
      and @ItBodes, among others. The subject hashtags are #nadwcon and
      #discworld

      Looking for something to hang on the walls that's not a mime? We're
      pleased to announce that art by Melvyn Grant of Where's My Cow fame
      will be featured at our art show! You will also see works by other
      Discworld artists such as Doug Andersen, Jill Bauman, Lissanne Lake
      and Peter Scanlan. We are also fortunate to have some original art
      being made specifically for our convention by one of our honored
      guests. Stephen Player, illustrator of The Wee Free Men and other
      great Discworld works, is creating the cover art to our convention
      program book! Be sure to bother him for an autograph!

      In addition to art, we've got some new vendors in our dealers' area
      for your shopping pleasure. Do you find yourself in dire need of a
      hoop skirt, tunic, corset, or maybe just a cravat? Then you will be
      very pleased to know that Ravenworks, the clothier for the well
      dressed time traveller, will be making their wares available to you.
      It is also a great place to pick up that last minute item for your
      Maskerade costume!

      http://www.ravenworksip.com/

      You can also show your undead solidarity by checking out the tables
      that will be run by The Zombie Rights Campaign (
      http://www.zombierightscampaign.org/%20 ). Showing the dead some
      support may be a good idea, after all they do outnumber us.

      Seamstress Guild Parties: When the kids are away, the adults will
      play! It's official, folks! Our three Seamstress Guild parties, one
      for each night of NADWCon, will be held in Genua, Uberwald, and
      Quirm. The ladies and gentlemen of the guild will decorate the con's
      party suites differently each night and costume accordingly. Guests
      may come as they are or dress to impress. Produced again by Denise,
      hosted by our fabulous Guild members, and directed by talented
      Wisconsin native, Missy Hanes, these are parties you won't want to
      miss.

      http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Genua
      http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/%C3%9Cberwald
      http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Quirm

      Information on Seamstress Guild activities at NADWCon and lots more
      can be found on the Guild's Facebook page:
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Seamstress-Guild-NADWCon-2011/

      The parties this year will begin every night at 9 pm and go on until
      The Watch clears the streets. This year the parties are for adults
      only. We will serve both alcohol and non-alcoholic drinks and trolls
      will card guests at the door.

      See you at SpringCon!
      In the Minneapolis area? Look for NADWCon members at Springcon Comic
      Book Days Celebration (May 21-22) at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds
      Grandstand!

      Volunteers needed
      Straight from our forum boards (nadwcon.9.forumer.com):
      If you are attending the North American Discworld Convention and have
      any sense of rhythm whatsoever, there will be a couple of
      opportunities for you to participate. In particular:

      * "All the Little Angels" (a marching song, if you're not familiar
      with "Night Watch") for which the ability to march in time--mostly--
      is the only requirement.

      * Possibly a very elaborate filk. For this one all the parts will be
      recorded, so singing loud but not necessarily well, in front of a
      crowd, will be the key.

      If interested, contact info@...

      Join Us
      The NADWCon 2011 Committee will be holding their final meeting for
      staff and volunteers on June 4th at the Concourse Hotel. If you are in
      the Madison area and want to help us out you are welcome to join the
      party. Just contact us at info@... for more information and to
      let us know you are coming.

      That's not it, but that is all for now. We have to keep a few things
      to ourselves our you wont be surprised! Just one more newsletter left
      and then we will see all of you in Madison!

      ...and from the blog of NADWcon's Mrs Palm, aka Denise:

      I am pleased to announce that The Cromulent Shakespeare Company will
      present a stage performance of Wyrd Sisters at NADWCon.

      http://www.cromulentshakespeare.org/Home.html

      Three performances (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) of Wyrd Sisters
      are currently scheduled. Expect drama, comedy, romance, and little
      audience participation. If you spy three Witches sitting in the
      front row, do not, I repeat, do not, ask them to remove their hats.

      http://it-bodes.blogspot.com/2011/05/wyrd-sisters-at-nadwcon.html

      We will be offering a panel at NADWCon on Bringing the Discworld to
      the Roundworld. This will be a panel discussion about the Discworld
      "artefacts", maps, images and collectables  and what it took to
      bring the Discworld to life. Many of the Discworld images we love
      are by Paul Kidby and Bernard Pearson. On hand will be
      representatives of PJSM Prints, a company that represents many of
      Mr. Kidby's Discworld works. Also present: The Cunning Artificer
      himself. Bernard Pearson, and his partners at the Discworld
      Emporium. Before he started the DW Emporium Mr Pearson worked at
      Clarecraft the company that made so many wonderful Discworld
      figurines.

      http://tinyurl.com/3ogc2xt

      Mrs. Palm would like to point out that sleeping arrangements
      organized on anything less than a purely business basis are none of
      her concern but she thought you all should know that the convention
      hotel's regular rooms are Sold Out. Not to worry: We have opened up
      rooms at another local hotel due to popular demand (a circumstance
      the Seamstress Guild is well acquainted with). More information on
      the NADWCon hotel arrangements can be found below and at the
      official website: www.nadwcon.org

      Looking for a roommate to share expenses? There's a page for that:

      http://www.nadwcon.org/Roomates.html

      I'm currently working on a panel that will speak to the convergence
      of Discworld and Steampunk fans I saw at the last NADWCon.  As
      Steam Ingenious notes, there are a great many Steampunk elements in
      the Discworld and these tend to be subtle and mixed with magic. This
      intriguing mix of history, sf, tech, folklore, modern culture, and
      fantasy is one of the reasons why Terry Pratchett's books are so
      popular with such a wide-ranging audience. The panel will be called
      When Worlds Collide. Do you know anyone who is informed, well spoken
      and interesting who could add to a panel discussion at NADWCon 2011?
      If, so please let me know.

      http://it-bodes.blogspot.com/2011/04/steampunk-discworld.html

      http://it-bodes.blogspot.com

      16.2 CABBAGECON – COMING SOO-, UM, THIS WEEK!

      "From May 28th to May 29th 2011, Cabbagecon will be held at the NH
      Hotel Atlanta in Rotterdam. This will be the first time a Discworld
      convention takes place on Dutch soil! It will be a place for many
      Dutch and non-Dutch fans of Sir Terry Pratchett's work to connect
      and have fun. We hope to see you there!"

      Contact details: www.dutchdwcon.nl

      For further information contact: info@...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS

      The next meeting of the Broken Drummers will be on Monday 6th June
      at the Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London W2 1JQ.

      http://www.steeljam.co.uk/brokendrummers/

      *

      Drummers Downunder meet on the first Monday of every month in Sydney
      at Maloneys, corner of Pitt & Goulburn Streets, at 7pm. The next
      meeting will be on the 6th of June. For more information, contact
      simlauren@...

      *

      Perth Drummers meet on the traditional of first Monday of the month.
      The next meeting will be on the evening of Monday 6th June at The
      Vic Hotel, 226 Hay St, Subiaco.

      *

      The new Adelaide Discworld meeting group now has an "officially
      unofficial formally informal name": The City of Small Gods Terry
      Pratchett Fan Club! Their first meeting took place on the 5th of May
      and was a success. The next event for tCoSGTPFC will be this week, a
      dinner & games night on Thursday 26th May in honour of World Turtle
      Day (May 23) and The Glorious 25th of May (wear lilac if you were
      there). In theory this will take place at the same venue as before
      – Higher Ground, 9 Light Square at 6pm for dinner, migrating across
      to the Colonel Light Hotel at 8pm. Organiser Danny assures WOSSNAME
      that although other future gatherings haven't been confirmed yet,
      he'll let us know when tCoSGTPFC has a regular meet-up time and
      venue. And remember, there's a mailing list:

      https://groups.google.com/group/adelaide-discworld-fans

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) REVIEW: NIGHT WATCH

      by Daniel Orner

      Night Watch is Terry Pratchett's magnum opus, a tour de force of
      character, quest, thought, emotion, and heart-thumping narrative. It
      is a triumph of the written word and a testament to the talent of
      its creator. It is extremely difficult to put down, and it is hands
      down the best thing he's ever written.

      Sam Vimes is settling into his life as Lord Samuel Vimes, Commander
      of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch. On the chase after Carcer, a career
      murderer and all-around bad news, a sudden freak storm (actually the
      one from Thief of Time) hits both of them. As it turns out, this
      catapults them decades into the past, where a revolution is afoot.

      Of course, said revolution is only one piece of the puzzle. The
      other is that due to a procession of unlikely events, Sam Vimes has
      arrived calling himself John Keel – the name of his first sergeant
      as a watch constable – and looking like him as well. And as it
      turns out, the real John Keel is suddenly no longer available to
      teach young Sam Vimes the ropes of being a copper. Vimes finds
      himself in the practically unique position of teaching himself
      everything he knows...

      The beauty of Night Watch is that it works on so many levels. For
      one thing, Sam Vimes is now utterly alone; while he has allies, he
      never feels comfortable with any of them. Because he's always
      passing through, he knows he's not going to build a relationship
      with them. He has no reliable companions like Carrot or Detritus.
      Throughout the book, whenever the narrative is with Vimes, it's all
      Vimes. And the commander is a truly amazing individual to spend
      time with. Wise, brave, sarcastic, and above all, a complete
      badass, Vimes is a pleasure and a treasure.

      The narrative, from Vimes' perspective, is full of short, sharp,
      incisive sentences. Terry has beautifully captured the world-weary,
      knowledgeable view of a longtime copper who's had experience with
      everything from whore pits to the palaces of kings. Vimes knows how
      things work, and his excellent policing skills and ability to keep
      several steps ahead of everybody else are all the more intriguing to
      read on those occasions, in fact, they don't work.

      But Sam is not the only attraction here. Terry has thrown our view
      of Ankh-Morpork back about thirty years and shows us how far it's
      come. Old Ankh-Morpork is a city of darkness and fear. Lord
      Winder's Unmentionables – a secret police akin to the KGB – run
      roughshod over the city. Winder himself is a paranoid maniac, but
      with reason; there are in fact plenty of people who'd like to see
      him dead. The bubbling turmoil slowly gets wound so tense that one
      pluck is all it would take to set it twanging – and one spark to
      set it alight. The revolution itself is at once conventionally
      emotional and unconventionally intelligent. While the references to
      Les Miserables and A Tale of Two Cities are evident, the story is
      all original.

      In addition, we get to see a sort of origin story of not only the
      Watch but several popular Discworld characters. The shout-backs are
      in fact shout-forwards, and every recognition rewards longtime
      readers with a shiver of excitement.

      The time travel aspects are given a spit-and-polished take as well.
      Not content with cliches, Terry shows us how, while history may go
      on the way it's always done, the way it gets there can easily be
      diverted. Vimes is constantly torn between trying to do things the
      way they "should" be done and trying to make things better. It
      never feels forced and is always entertaining.

      When choosing the categories for this post, I found myself
      flummoxed. Discworld stories are usually comic fantasy, but while
      Night Watch crackles with wit, it is missing the farce from
      taking place in "the real world". While Ankh-Morpork is every bit
      as real as our own cities, you won't find it on any map. In the
      end, I leave the book on its own merits – a masterpiece.

      ...and added comments from Nigel Stapley:

      I think that this book ranks as the OFIAH's masterpiece. I may be
      biased by the fact that it revolves around Vimes, who is my
      favourite character. However, in this book he is without all his
      usual supporting cast (Carrot, Angua, and even Vetinari, Nobby &
      Colon in their usual forms). We see him all but naked (at times,
      literally), and thrown back entirely on his own strength and guile.

      The jokes are there, of course (including two rock music references
      he should be ashamed of ;-) ), and the comic scenes are all that we
      could hope for and more, but it is in the writing of the darker,
      more serious and sinister episodes where PTerry's immense craft (1)
      displays its power. The scenes between Vimes/Keel and young Sam are
      poignant in a number of ways, not least in a sort of father/son way
      (foreshadowing the possible nature of the relationship between
      Vimes and his own son), but the episode in the Unmentionables'
      torture cells is moving in a way that is rare even in TP's
      writings. This man can now do Dark with the best of them, so the
      common description of Discworld as being "humorous fantasy" and
      little more besides becomes increasingly distant from the
      "reality".

      And yet, shining through it all is an unquenchable belief in the
      fundamental decency of humankind. Although Vimes is on more-than-
      nodding-terms with the cynical, he refuses to go that way unless
      it's the only way to a more humane (or "Right") outcome. The Beast
      is always there when he calls it, but he is its master.

      The plot, though complex, is never convoluted: the author sticks to
      the literary equivalent of Occam's Razor and does not introduce
      complications simply to be flash or to show off his cleverness, as
      most writers would be tempted to. Nor is there desperate resort to
      "deus ex machina" devices of the type Asimov referred to as the
      "pocket frannistan syndrome" (where the hero, in a tight spot, will
      suddenly say something like, "Luckily, I just happen to have my
      pocket frannistan with me", whereby, with one bound, the author
      unpaints himself from his corner): the possibility of intervention
      is always foreshadowed, the way out signposted beforehand as just
      *one* possible resolution out of many.

      The atmospheres are perhaps more solid here than in any previous DW
      – given that so many of the books are set in A-M, this is the
      first time I've truly felt each cobblestone of the place beneath my
      feet.

      If I have one minor quibble, it's with the writer's treatment of Reg
      Shoe. It seems to be a very English thing to denigrate (or take the
      piss out of) idealism. Yes, we know that a lot of it is pie-in-the-
      sky, but most idealists are at root good people, and the author's
      attitude to Shoe is too close to the overtly cynical for my tastes.
      But then, I suppose sacred cows are there to get the ginger
      treatment after all.

      I've read all the 'mainstream' DW novels (except MR – this tight-
      fisted sod waits for the paperbacks), and this seems to me to be
      the zenith of Terry's achievements (dare I say "So far"? I dare...)

      (1) Not a reference to Big Mary (2)
      (2) Unless you want it to be, of course

      [To which your Editor can only respond: "THIS. LIKE, ALL OF IT."]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) DISCLY INK

      Anji (ghostlove) wrote in LiveJournal's Discworld community, "If you
      could have any Discworld quote tattooed on yourself, which one(s)
      would you choose?" Here be some responses...

      coffee_mill:
      I think I'd go with "things just happen, what the hell" from
      'Hogfather'. There are so many Discworld quotes that I love, but
      most of them are long like whoa, so IDK where on my body I would
      have to put them xD.

      king_duncan:
      Most of my faves are long like whoa, too... Maybe just "!!!!!"

      trojanphoenix:
      The truth shall make you fret.

      scarybaldguy:
      I'd have to go with "The truth shall make ye fere."

      southenisland:
      I actually say that one out loud. XD~

      caerwynx:
      "In your own time." Lu-Tze

      niamh_sage:
      I ATEN'T DEAD. For mischief's sake, I would love to get this tattoed
      on my chest, where those of the medical fraternity might see it in
      an emergency. >:}

      hotclaws:
      I'd get people to sponsor me to get "ook" tattooed on my arse and
      give the money to Pterry's orang utan charity, or lilac sprigs in my
      shoulder.

      rhiannon_s:
      I'd quite like a "Summoning Dark" glyph tbh. I'm just not sure why.

      bewtifulfreak:
      I like that idea as well, both because I'm well-versed with the
      struggle with internal darkness, and because Vimes is my favourite
      character (first among equals and all that sort of thing). Not to
      mention I imagine it would look pretty darn cool. :)

      princess_kessie:
      Or possibly Sodomy Non Sapiens

      rachelkachel:
      The new day is a great big fish.

      eruvadhril:
      I quite like "Here and now, we are alive".

      macalla_:
      Knowledge = Power = Energy = Matter = Mass

      linda_lupos:
      De chelonian mobile. :) With a turtle of course.

      bex:
      "We who are about to die will laugh at anything." or "Sometimes it's
      better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." or "Coffee
      is the only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
      your slightly older self."

      honorh:
      "I commend my soul to any god that can find it." Ooh, better
      yet--"Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire,
      and he's warm for the rest of his life!" I'd get the exact quote, of
      course, but that's the gist of it.

      incarnated_joy:
      Words in the heart cannot be taken. That or the summoning dark
      glyph. I love me some glyphs...I blame the Thief games for that and
      being allowed to play them from a young age :P

      sirona_gs:
      I have Sam Vimes' badge tattooed on my left shoulder blade. It can
      out beautifully, all coppery golden. I wish I could post a picture
      of it, but I don't have anyone around who can take it at the mo! I
      just love Sam's monologues about what the badge means to him; it
      speaks to something inside me that rarely sees the light. My next
      tat is going to be on my right shoulder blade and it's going to be
      Errol! As for quotes – I have far too many favourite ones to
      choose from! :D

      snowlight:
      How Do They Rise Up

      southenisland:
      "FABRICATE DIEM, PVNC" My Latin teacher would kill me XD~

      lastingtwilight:
      "Going back to where you started is not the same as never leaving"
      from: "Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So you can see
      the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the
      people there see you differently too. Going back to where you
      started is not the same as never leaving." – or possibly, just
      simply... 'Crivens!'

      1_2_suckerpunch:
      Well I do have one that says "And yet it moves"... :)

      jesskat:
      I might go for: "Inside every old person is a young person wondering
      what happened."

      ajat:
      'Don't let me detain you.' :D

      kira_snugz:
      not a quote, but i plan on getting a long lick of flame on the
      inside of my left wrist to remind me that "Sometimes it's better to
      light a flamethrower than curse the darkness"

      microwave_jenny:
      ALL OF THEM. Or if I had to choose just one, the HEX "Anthill
      Inside" logo!

      merigreenleaf:
      I'm not sure what quote I'd pick (there are so many good ones!) but
      if I ever get the money and over my fear of needles, my plan is to
      get the Sto Helit coat of arms tattooed somewhere on me. I suppose
      that would include "Non Timetus Messor", so I guess that's my answer
      to this question. ;)

      djelibeybi_meg:
      "DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT"

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) IMAGE OF THE MONTH

      Because one can never have too many cute pictures of Librarians...

      http://i.imgur.com/BaC3D.jpg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      21) ABP BITS

      CARROT COMMAS AND DISCWORLD LITERACY

      "Anonymous Person":
      Carrot is an interesting character. We are told on more than one
      occasion that he reads constantly, the Discworld books stress that
      Dwarves tend to be literate and respect the written word, and
      throughout the Watch books we see that Carrot is far more cunning
      and intelligent than he lets on. Which leads me to wonder if his
      trademarked inability to spell correctly and his difficulty with
      punctuation isn't all just a ruse. Perhaps he feigns semi-illiteracy
      just to appear not so bright, so that he is underestimated (to his
      later advantage). Thoughts?

      Jaimie V:
      Possibly, but why would he feign that to his mother (adopted)? I
      think it's more likely that Terry has been playing off the riff that
      Ankh-Morpork's literary level is still at the "no fixed spelling"
      stage, as it was in England before widespread acceptance of the
      dictionary as proscriptive (at least in spelling). 1755ad was the
      release of that work in our trouserleg.

      Now, Ankh-Morpork has moved into the Clacks era (1790ad here) and
      newspapers too, which would help force acceptance of unified
      spelling. But although they're advancing technologically faster than
      we did, there's only a few years passed since Carrot was writing
      home – 12 or so perhaps? It's likely that spelling hasn't settled
      down yet, and also that folks educated in a dwarf mine somewhere may
      have older writing habits!

      Lesley:
      Perhaps he's dyslexic, like so many other super-intelligent people.

      Reader in Invisible Writings:
      From the collective works, Dwarf literacy is not the consistent
      thing we might imagine.
      1. Firstly, Hwel the playwright is unusual amongst Dwarfs. (WS)
      2. Letters are unusual and they gather round to hear it read
      out. (GG)
      3. Although Dwarfs write and consider words reverentially, their
      concern is with things like contracts, mining records, births and
      marriages (probably in that order!) (TFE)
      4. Creative writing is not natural and Carrot's father had to send
      someone down the village to find out how you stop spelling
      recommendation. (GG)
      5. Carrot's favourite book was the "Laws and Ordinances of Ankh
      Morpork" some parts of which are very old and probably were in
      "old" i.e. before they invented spelling (M!)
      6. Although we hear in M! that a page will have to be re-engraved
      because Mr Crisplock has miss-spelt a word, dictionaries and more
      regular spelling came after the explosion of the written word caused
      by movable type printing. This was well after Carrot would have
      formed his writing habits.
      7. Many Dwarfs seemed to need the services of William DeWorde to
      send letters home. (TT)

      So, Carrot probably learnt to read and would have rarely written
      things down that were not facts. That is very little creative
      writing experience and a limited vocabulary of learnt spelling (you
      can read and understand many more words than you use in writing).

      So in essence, I don't think he is feigning anything.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      22) DISCWORLD AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

      Some amusing speculation on the meaning of the cover, from various
      Pratchett fans on LiveJournal's Discworld community:

      mr_effort:
      Vimes: Badass in a city. Badass in the countryside. Also,
      apparently, badass on a boat.

      niamh_sage:
      And badass in Bad Ass?

      isweedan:
      I have no coherent feedback, only 'VIIIIIIIIIIIIIMES *______*'

      plottwist13:
      He's on a boat. He's on a boat. Everybody look at Vimes 'cause he's
      sailing on a boat.

      treemice:
      He's on a boat aaaaand
      He's goin' fast aaaaand
      He's got a goblin sidekick and lots of chick-aaans!
      ...was my first thought.

      plottwist13:
      Vimes: Woah, free boat ride for 3! Now, who should I take? Let's
      see... Chickens.
      Chickens: Brawk! :D
      Vimes: Aaaaand... goblin.
      Vetinari: Aww man!
      Goblin: Cool.

      treemice:
      Is it just me or does Vimes look...weirdly alluring here? Please
      tell me it's not just me.

      No, seriously, this is a beautiful cover. Great colors and
      composition, and it strikes me as being very fitting for the series,
      since it balances on that razor edge between drama and absolute
      ridiculousness and does a wonderful job of it. If I had never read a
      Discworld book I would still buy this based on nothing but the cover
      (and who wouldn't? I mean, chickens!). I've been excited about Snuff
      since I first saw it mentioned here a year ago. The release of this
      book is rapidly becoming the main focus of my year. Hopefully it'll
      be the high point as well!

      I'm also praying that the American edition keeps Kidby's beautiful
      artwork this time, ffffff. And that that lifetimer there doesn't
      have any particularly sinister significance. /paranoid

      curuchamion:
      It's not just you. ;P

      Ack, hadn't noticed the lifetimer. I'm... hoping it has merely
      suspense-inducing rather than ultimately sinister significance, just
      because paired with one meaning of the book title (and me also being
      paranoid) my brain is trying to say that a sinister interpretation
      may be a little too obvious to be true. (I'm not counting on
      anything, though.) *is making no sense, probably*

      madfilkentist :
      Sometimes an hourglass is just an hourglass.

      oxymoronic3:
      "Is it just me or does Vimes look...weirdly alluring here? Please
      tell me it's not just me." Not just you. Totally not just you.

      I'm hoping it doesn't too, otherwise I (and all other Vimes fans)
      will be absolutely disconsolate. Until the book comes out, I'll just
      hope that it may be either Vimes fighting to save someone else from
      their lifetimer-fate or another near-death experience or something
      like that.

      honorh:
      Vimes, on a paddle-wheel boat, with chickens and a gargoyle. And an
      hourglass that might be a lifetimer. This is gonna be epic!

      bewtifulfreak:
      People have mentioned the goblin/gargoyle, which it does definitely
      resemble, but I rather suspect that's Vimes' fairly constant
      companion these days, his Gooseberry. :)

      *

      This month, serial Discworld blogger Phantom Siren chooses Sam and
      Sybil as her favourite romantic couple:

      "I'm choosing these two, rather than the more 'romantic' Angua and
      Carrot or the more intriguing Lord Vetinari and Lady Margotta,
      simply because they are ultimately so very ordinary. They just get
      on with life with out excessive drama, ok so they have the
      occasional soppy moment but usually its interrupted by Vimes having
      to run off to deal with criminals or some international crisis. Yes
      Heathcliff and Cathy are terribly passionate, but by the end of
      Wuthering Heights everyone is dead. Sybil and Sam are a prime
      example of a sensible older couple who perfect compliment each other
      – Sybil can't cook but 'since Sam Vimes's spectrum of gastronomic
      delight mainly ranged from "well fried" to "caramelized"' it's a
      match made in burnt crunchy bit heaven. I'd much rather have that
      kind of relationship than some tragedy."

      http://tinyurl.com/3pazo5y

      *

      A scholarly deconstruction of Night Watch – with footnotes! – by
      blogger Francesca Young:

      "'Night Watch' could be described as a turning point in Pratchett's
      writing, as it is the first of a number of darker novels he wrote,
      employing Juvenalian satire... Pratchett uses the criminal as a
      signifier to express the sign which is his idea of crime in our
      society; he depicts crime as a mindless and undirected force 'blind
      and mystified', motivated only by personal desire. Conversely, the
      hero comes to full consciousness and recognises the responsibility
      of his role: he must become the embodiment of law in the face of
      lawlessness: He thinks 'When we break down, it all breaks down'.
      When the law threatens, it threatens in the name of order, rather
      than violence, putting it above crime morally and intellectually.
      Since this is modern Britain, our ideology dictates that crime must
      be depicted a certain way, and defeated, because we value law and
      order above violence... Pratchett presents a picture of society in
      deep trouble. There is rife corruption, dangerous, stupid laws and
      officially sanctioned terrorism. There are plots on all levels of
      society to overthrow the government. All of this leads back to bad
      rulership. Chaos makes law difficult to establish: When offered a
      position of power, the hero thinks 'In this city?...now? [the watch]
      would just be another gang'..."

      http://francescayoung.wordpress.com/2011/05/10/night-watch/

      *

      A review of Wintersmith by blogger Randomize Me:

      "I've followed Tiffany as she has grown up in the books, and
      it's really amazing to me how Terry Pratchett just gets teenage
      girls... This time around, Tiffany's big challenge is a boy –
      and not just any boy – the Wintersmith (the elemental Winter
      itself) has an obsessive "crush" on Tiffany (who he thinks is
      the elemental Summer) and he sets about trying to attract
      Tiffany's attention in a pretty destructive (and freezing)
      fashion. In spite of herself, Tiffany is flattered by all the
      attention (snow crystals in her image, for example) and doesn't
      quite know how to react. This uncharacteristic hesitation eventually
      places all Tiffany holds dear in grave danger...

      "Tiffany is not quite herself in this book – I'm not quite used
      to this hesitant passive-aggressive Tiffany who needs protecting
      (even if only initially). But I did get why Tiffany couldn't quite
      hate on the Wintersmith – there's just something so
      heartbreakingly earnest & innocent about him as he went about trying
      to be a real boy and trying to impress his "crush"... I really
      liked the new and improved (and surprisingly nerdy) Roland (ex-
      spoilt son of the Baron). I would love to see how Mr Pratchett
      develops Tiffany's relationship with Roland in the next book..."

      http://tinyurl.com/43b42vv

      *

      In the guise of an ISWM review, blogger nrlymrtl gives a short
      summation of all the Tiffany Aching books and adds:

      "If Terry Pratchett never writes another Tiffany Aching novel again
      (which would be sad) I feel he wrapped the story up in a good way.
      Thank you Terry Pratchett for all the hours of thoughtful laughter!"

      http://darkcargo.com/2011/05/09/book-review-i-shall-wear-midnight/

      Not Discworld, but Pratchettverse... blogger Eli Ross reviews Good
      Omens:

      "Where's the real Anti-Christ? Well, we know, but none of the
      characters do, so part of the joy is in watching them scramble to
      get to the right person in time to be part of, or to stop,
      Armageddon. There are also four children (doppelgangers of the Four
      Riders), a witch, a couple of witch finders, and untold others,
      swirling towards each other and a final cataclysm of mad hilarity.
      But this can get serious, too... Pratchett and Gaiman weave all
      these threads together into a beautiful, seamless piece of work..."

      http://tinyurl.com/44ws8hp

      *

      Nicely-put praise from blogger Ifyouforgetme in a post including a
      short review of A Hat Full of Sky:

      "If you're a regular Discworld customer, you know that
      Pratchett's well-cultivated world is composed of hundreds of
      interesting characters. The focus of each novel shifts from one to
      the other, giving almost everyone a chance for the spotlight. The
      books are always interesting, the stories worth reading, and the way
      fiction depicts real life is just too funny. I ♥ Pratchett! (I
      secretly like him more than Neil Gaiman, who I think is a genius of
      his own right but tends to take things too seriously.)"

      http://ifyouforgetme.wordpress.com/2011/05/21/a-hat-full-of-sky/

      *

      A review of Mort by blogger Akhirnya:

      "I know I lost some enthusiasm with Equal Rites, largely because I
      missed Rincewind and the Luggage. When I found out that Death
      played a large role in Mort, I decided to go ahead and pick it up.
      I liked Death a lot from the Hogfather film I watched on Netflix and
      so thought I'd like this Discworld novel equally as well. And I
      did, largely because I found Death so appealing... I'm not sure
      I'd have given it as high of marks it's received on the 'Big
      Read' and other lists, but it was an enjoyable book..."

      http://tinyurl.com/43fbh5j

      *

      In a post including some useful links, blogger Foxbob (who seems to
      think that the correct way to describe Pterry's title is "Sir
      Pratchett") reviews the Sydney Opera House gig:

      "Thankfully they were sitting on swivel chairs and we were happy
      wh
      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)