WOSSNAME Special Edition: The Watch, coming to your sitting room

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2011
      SPECIAL EARLY EDITION NUMBER 2
      March 2011 (Volume 14, Issue 3, post 2)

      01) EDITOR'S LETTER
      02) MOB FILMS PRESS RELEASE

      01) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR: THE BEST COP SHOW IN THE MULTIVERSE?!

      More news that simply can't wait: Mob Films and Sir Terry Pratchett
      have announced an agreement to develop "The Watch", a new telly
      series about the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, featuring the Watch
      characters in all-new storylines.

      Let me say that again, with multiple exclamation marks:

      The ANKH-MORPORK CITY WATCH!! On your TELLY!!! In WEEKLY
      INSTALMENTS!! With NEW STORYLINES sanctioned by PTERRY HIMSELF!!!!

      ~faints~

      ~staggers back to the keyboard~

      Right, see for yourself! Full text of the press release is below...

      – Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) MOB FILMS PRESS RELEASE

      Terry Pratchett's 'The Watch'

      11 March 2011:

      Sir Terry Pratchett and Rod Brown, Managing Director of Prime Focus
      Productions, announce that they have come to an agreement for the
      unprecedented and exclusive worldwide television rights to create
      brand new storylines for the iconic characters of Pratchett's
      phenomenally successful Discworld series.

      Terry's universal success has seen him create one of the leading
      fantasy fiction franchises of all time, with 70 million worldwide
      sales of his 38 book Discworld titles (with a 39th being published
      in October 2011). Whilst there have been three successful mini
      series adaptations of his Discworld books made for television in the
      UK, this is the first time that Pratchett has granted a production
      company the international rights to his character's and world, for
      the creation of new stories exclusively for a television audience.

      The main focus of the series will be set in the bustling, highly
      mercantile, largely untrustworthy and always vibrant city of Ankh
      Morpork and will follow the day-to-day activities of the men, women,
      trolls, dwarves, vampires and several other species who daily pound
      its ancient cobbles (and, of course, Igor in the forensics
      department). Terry commonly refers to the City Watch police force
      series "the jewels in his Discworld Crown".

      These richly developed and highly compelling characters will feature
      in a 'crime of the week' episodic storyline. As each weekly
      adventure unfolds, viewers will be taken on a ride through
      Pratchett's genius imagination, with the author overseeing the
      creation of the series, where wild and exciting encounters with
      werewolves, dragons, dwarfs, trolls and golems and the classic
      heroes and villains, are an everyday occurrence... many of whom even
      make outstanding crime fighters!

      Rod Brown, Managing Director of Prime Focus Productions said, "I
      believe that the globally successful Discworld franchise will
      readily translate to the small screen in the form of a high-end,
      mass appeal weekly drama series. It will give the audience the
      anticipation and excitement of brand new Discworld stories every
      week through the medium of television, rather than books. It's a
      huge responsibility to get this right for Terry, his legions of
      Discworld fans and the new followers to his work that we will
      attract along the way, but I believe they will be in for a treat
      with a high calibre writing team already attached, including 'Monty
      Python's' Terry Jones and Gavin Scott (Small Soldiers, The
      Borrowers). We have already spoken to a number of international
      broadcasters who have shown early interest and we hope to move
      forward very quickly to bring this exciting project to fruition".

      Sir Terry Pratchett said, "I'm very excited! I really am incredibly
      happy about this because Rod was part head of the team that produced
      the very successful Sky One adaptations and my message of
      encouragement to him now is; don't bugger it up!"

      The End. If you have any questions or requests, write:
      interact@...