WOSSNAME -- October 2010 -- Part 3 of 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2010
      WOSSNAME — October 2010 — Part 3 of 3 (continued)

      ====Part 3 — ...AND MORE...

      13) PTERRY'S SFX Q & A: THE BITS THAT GOT LEFT OUT
      14) ACTION REPLAY: SOME NOTED SONGS OF THE DISCWORLD
      15) A FANFIC WORTH RECOMMENDING
      16) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
      17) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETINGS NEWS
      18) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      19) ROUNDWORLD TALES: A CHEESE HORACE MIGHT APPROVE OF
      20) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE
      21) LATE BREAKING NEWS

      13) PTERRY'S SFX Q & A: THE BITS THAT GOT LEFT OUT

      "Stories are based on other stories, that's what we all do. And if
      everybody is stealing off everybody else then it all works quite
      well. Because what happens is that stuff is bouncing around and
      getting better, as people explore how to do things!..."

      "My first US publisher gave me bad covers, bad printing, my name
      spelt wrong on every other page... you couldn't give my books away
      in the US! I'd be going to conventions and I'd have huge queues
      ...with people having their British hardcovers signed. Things
      started to change when I got Ralph Vicinanza as my agent..."

      "Seattle has always been a great gig for me. Always. I always get
      the most people there, more than New York! The bookshop that does
      it, run by Tall Dwayne, always just draws the customers in from the
      whole of the state..."

      To read the lot, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/34lgbex

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) ACTION REPLAY: SOME NOTED SONGS OF THE DISCWORLD

      The Ankh-Morpork Anthem, performed by the BBC Scottish Symphony
      Orchestra and soprano Clare Rutter:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAqCbOJc6RU

      The original lyrics, as found on L-space:

      http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/We_Can_Rule_You_Wholesale

      The Hedgehog Song, performed by noted filker Warren Mars, with some
      amusing still photos:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yJz8u6dyGY

      Editor's note: This is very, very long, just like real folk music.
      It's also *definitely* not safe for work. In fact, it might not be
      safe for anywhere!

      The original lyrics, as found on L-space:

      http://www.lspace.org/fandom/songs/hedgehog-song-6.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) A FANFIC WORTH RECOMMENDING

      As you know, O Readers, I am possibly the last person in the world
      to recommend fanfiction. But a few years ago, WOSSNAME did recommend
      a rather funny and quite well done "crossover fic" that combined the
      Discworld with the universe of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and was
      strangely prophetic, since it involved the wizards of Unseen
      University forming a soccer team. With cheerleaders.). Here be
      another amusing crossover involving a well-known character from our
      favourite novels and another, also well-known, somewhat detached
      observer of the behaviour of mortals. Both characters' voices are
      rendered quite competently...

      "YOU ARE IN MY DOMAIN, CAPTAIN ___. HERE, I DECIDE HOW TIME
      PASSES..."

      http://bethan-b-bad.livejournal.com/147180.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS: CORRECTION

      Reader Paul G pointed out that last month's selections of PJSM
      Prints goodies were missing their links. Oops! Here they are...

      The Ankh-Morpork City Watch badge
      The Luggage badge
      The Assassins shield badge
      The Unseen University shield badge
      Granny Weatherwax "I still ate'nt dead" badge
      The Librarian "Ook!" badge
      The Guild of Fools "Dico dico dico" Complete Fool badge
      The "I met the Hogfather at Crumley's" badge
      The Guild of Assassins Prefect badge

      All of the above can be ordered at:
      http://www.paulkidby.com/cmot/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS

      The Drummers Downunder, Sydney-based sister group of London's
      Broken Drummers, will meet next on Monday 1st November. Rock up
      any time from 7pm to Maloneys (corner of Pitt and Goulburn Streets,
      across the road from World Square), Sydney, Australia. Visitors to
      Sydney are very welcome.

      For more information, write to simlauren@...

      The next Broken Drummers meeting is on Monday 1st November, at the
      usual venue of the Monkey Puzzle in Paddington, London. Membership
      in "London's Premier Discworld Group" is free; just come along, as
      they say. New members and visitors to London are always welcome!

      http://www.steeljam.co.uk/brokendrummers/

      Yet another spectacular Discworld cake:

      http://tinyurl.com/2en3gml

      ...and a set of *moving* images. Specifically, a video of Bernard
      Pearson (the Cunning Artificer himself) at the first German
      Discworld Convention, telling the tale of the twinning of Wincanton
      with Ankh-Morpork. Involves wit, humour and alcohol:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XodUldrELL8

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) ROUNDWORLD TALES: A CHEESE HORACE MIGHT APPROVE OF

      More than 1.5 million people logged on to a website to watch a West
      Country farmhouse Cheddar mature. Wedginald the cheese was so
      popular it even got a Valentine card!

      "Wedginald is no ordinary reality TV star. Since birth, every
      millisecond of his life has been broadcast live on internet
      television, with 1.5 million people logging on to chart his
      progress. At just nine months old, the West Country celebrity has
      sparked a flurry of online fan groups, not to mention fan mail from
      across the world. But the notorious Wedginald is no precocious child
      star. It is a rather large block of cheese. When it emerged from the
      churn nine months ago, the handmade round of farmhouse Cheddar was
      given its own web television station, cheddarvision, which
      constantly streamed its image from a shelf at Westcombe Dairy in
      Somerset. Like many internet phenomena, the popularity of
      cheddarvision has largely been down to its pointlessness... So how
      did the world's first celebrity cheese fare in its final taste test?
      If you believe the hype, not only did it do very well, but it is an
      outstanding example of dairy brilliance..."

      http://tinyurl.com/28lanpc

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedginald

      Here be a stop-motion video of Wedginald's ageing process:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NMqPT6oKJ8

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) THE NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE: AN APOLOGY

      Dear readers,

      Fernando has left the building. Temporarily, we hope!

      Last month, our astrologer Fernando Magnifico referred in his
      horoscope to the famed wizard Professor Bengo Macarona. At the time,
      we made the editorial decision not to print all of Professor
      Macarona's qualifications, as we believed that there was no need to
      list them all. Apparently there *is* such a need.

      As per the judge's order, we wish to print a correction, and
      apologise to Professor Macarona for the emotional distress and
      professional harm we may have inadvertently caused him by the
      unfortunate impression we may have given the careless reader that he
      merely possessed three academic degrees. We would like to state that
      Professor Macarona's full academic title is Professor Macarona
      D.Thau (Bug), D.Maus (Chubb), Magistaludorum (QIS), Octavium (Hons),
      PHGK (Blit), DMSK, Mack, D.Thau (Bra), Visiting Professor in
      Chickens (Jahn the Conqueror University (Floor 2, Shrimp Packers
      building, Genua)), Primo Octo (Deux), Visiting Professor of
      Blit/Slood Exchanges (Al Khali), KCbfj, Reciprocating Professor of
      Blit Theory (Unki), D.Thau (Unki), Didimus Supremius (Unki),
      Emeritus Professor in Blit Substrate Determinations (Chubb), Chair
      of Blit and Music Studies (Quirm College for Young Ladies).

      Following the stressful events of the last few weeks, Fernando
      Magnifico has taken a short break but will return in due course. We
      can assure our readers that there is absolutely no truth to the
      story put about by the Inquirer (that scurrilous rag) that Fernando
      Magnifico has been turned into a weasel by the Professor and sold to
      a cat-food factory, nor to the *other* story put about by the
      Inquirer (that scurrilous rag!) that Fernando has had a nervous
      breakdown and has been committed to the care of the Igors at St.
      Pandemonium's Hospice for the Care of Raving Loonies. In fact,
      Fernando and Professor Macarona have put aside their differences and
      are spending some time swapping pasta recipes, a fact which may come
      as a surprise to anyone witnessing their hot-blooded Brindisian and
      Genuan shouting arguments in the courtroom, but will come as no
      surprise at all to any of the readers of the romance novels which so
      often feature Fernando on the covers.

      -- The Editor.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      21) LATE BREAKING NEWS

      21.1 BLOG REVIEWS OF ISWM

      Timothy at Book Coasters:

      "Terry Pratchett takes the hard road when he could have taken the
      easy one. It's not like in the previous books in this series.
      It's not just that, like in Hat full of sky you compare the
      education of Tiffany Aching with that of Harry Potter and see
      there's a layer of biting satire in there which is delicious, even
      if you like the Worst Witch. It's that Pterry decides to tell an
      honest story within the setting of a fantasy novel.

      "This means he can't use any of the convenient trapdoors built
      into the genre by earlier authors. Tiffany isn't allowed to get
      baron's son as her beau simply because she deserves it. She
      doesn't get to win her fights just because she's plucky and we
      want girls to embrace their own power. She doesn't win by learning
      the one MacGuffin spell which destroys the enemy, at the end of her
      quest. Mr Pratchett kicks away all of this supporting scaffolding,
      so that his story needs to work in spite of genre conventions. And
      the thing is, it does..."

      or http://tinyurl.com/2cf22co

      Wayward Drui:

      "It really was the quiet sense of maturity that impressed me the
      most about the book, and about Tiffany. I love that it pulled
      thoughts from the previous books together into a wonderful whole. I
      have always loved the Tiffany books for the fun and the Feegles.
      'I Shall Wear Midnight' took that winning base and made it into
      something that is more than amusement- something that even the
      oldest 'kids' could get something lasting out of..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2w9vwbg

      Charlie Cottrell on xeyeti:

      "It's nice to see Tiffany getting to grow as a character and even
      making mistakes. All too often in novels, the protagonist never
      makes mistakes, doesn't do things for petty reasons, and is able to
      easily solve their problems. That ain't the case with Tiffany; she's
      a 16 year old girl, and she behaves like one (albeit a rather
      intelligent one)..."

      http://tinyurl.com/24dhm74

      21.2 AN ANIMATED MORT...?

      On the geek-site Bleeding Cool, Brendon Connelly is whispering a
      rumour:

      Bleeding Cool have recieved a tip-off that Ron Clements and John
      Musker, directors of The Princess and the Frog, Treasure Planet,
      Aladdin and other Disney animated features, are working on an
      adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Mort... If this seems a little
      unexpected for a Disney animation project, remember that the studio
      has also been working on a feature film of Philip K. Dick's King
      of the Elves, and in the 80s adapted Lloyd Alexander's The Black
      Cauldron... Consider this no more than rumour for now, but our
      source is a good one..."

      http://tinyurl.com/28ngbds

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      22) AND IT'S G'DAY FROM US

      And that's it for another month!

      A note: since Yahoogroups has increased its file-size-per-post
      limit, it is now possible (apparently) to post each month's WOSSNAME
      as a single issue. So who knows, the era of "Dear Editor, I never
      received Part 1/3/5/x, please re-send" may be coming to an end. And
      not before time! Stand by for developments...

      On the subject of Ankh-Morpork's twin town, it seems that
      Morporkians would be most welcome in Wincanton's High Street pub,
      The Bear — as recommended in The Telegraph:

      "This 16th Century Pub offers a warm old fashioned welcome. From an
      open fire to mulled wine and warm bedrooms in winter, to chilled
      Champagne and strawberry's [sic] in the summer. It's famous for the
      Discworld tribal gatherings, 3 or 4 times, (or more), a year with
      Sir Terry Pratchett. He calls us a tribe but he loves us really..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2d4vsf8

      Take care, and we'll see you in a few weeks' time...

      — Annie Mac

      End of Part 3.
      If you did not get all three parts, write: interact@...