WOSSNAME -- October 2010 -- Part 1 of 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2010
      October 2010 (Volume 13, Issue 10)
      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger (who still ate'nt dead)
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ————————————————————————————————————

      ====Part 1 — ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      03) VALE RALPH VICINANZA
      04) TERRY PRATCHETT, NOTED SCIENTIFIC EDUCATOR...
      05) ...AND ACKNOWLEDGED TITAN AMONGST FANTASISTS
      06) THAT MILLION-TO-ONE SHOT
      07) REVIEWS: I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT
      08) REVIEW: UNSEEN ACADEMICALS

      ====Part 2 — MORE NEWS, ODDS AND SODS

      09) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      10) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      11) AMERICA NEEDS MORE PRATCHETT!
      12) CONVENTION NEWS

      ====Part 3 — ...AND MORE, AND HOROSCOPE, AND CLOSE

      13) PTERRY'S SFX Q & A: THE BITS THAT GOT LEFT OUT
      14) ACTION REPLAY: SOME NOTED SONGS OF THE DISCWORLD
      15) A FANFIC WORTH RECOMMENDING
      16) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
      17) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETINGS NEWS
      18) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      19) ROUNDWORLD TALES: A CHEESE HORACE MIGHT APPROVE OF
      20) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE
      21) LATE BREAKING NEWS

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "I've got a voice like David Bellamy with his hand stuck in an
      electric fire."

      — Terry Pratchett, almost off the record in SFX Magazine

      "I've always said that I will never knowingly write the last
      Discworld book. I mean, suppose I wrote what I thought was going to
      be the last one and then I had a humdinger of an idea for another?
      It would be Sherlock bloody Holmes all over again."

      —Pterry, interviewed by David Larsen for the New Zealand Listener

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      Well, here we are at that quiet time of the year, before the start
      of the Hogswatch holiday frenzy. Not that the next few weeks are
      holiday-free: Britain has Bonfire Night (hmm, does anyone still
      remember the Fifth of November these days?), America has its
      Thanksgiving, and of course there's Halloween... down in Fourecks
      the days are longer and the trees are springing into bloom but
      there's no holiday as such, so a number of us have decided to
      celebrate "Thanksbeing" as a general day for being thankful that we
      ate'nt dead. There will be a full turkey feast, and even pumpkin
      pie, since Fourecksians normally eat pumpkin in every form *except*
      pie. Mmm, pie...

      As noted in last month's close, Asti of Roundworld's Bugarup
      University was a winner in the TV.com Going Postal props
      competition. She's now received her wonderful prize:

      "The mystery is over. I am now the proud owner of Mr. Groat's
      costume!! Hat, jacket, vest and trousers. And they fit! Plus a few
      sheets of stamps. AND an advertising poster for Total Pins. Now I
      need to buy the Post Office messenger bag from PJSM Prints to go
      with it!

      "As it happened, one of the organisers of the UK DWCon was at my
      house when the prize was delivered. I have now been invited to the
      next DWCon if I make an appearance in the costume."

      Here be an iconograph of the winner in said costume:
      http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9odoop6NN1qd2vd3o1_500.jpg

      And now, on with the show...

      — Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) VALE RALPH VICINANZA

      World-renowned literary agent Ralph Vicinanza, whose clients
      included Terry Pratchett and Stephen King, has died at the age of
      60. Known as a battler for "smaller" authors and an advocate of fair
      international rights, he was also admired for having good working
      relationships with his clients. The publishing world mourns him.

      A selection of articles:

      The Associated Press:

      "Vicinanza founded his own agency in 1978 and signed up some of the
      world's top science fiction and fantasy writers, including Terry
      Pratchett, Robert Heinlein, Frank Herbert and George R.R. Martin.
      'As a writer, one of the best people you can have on your side is an
      agent who knows the market and knows where your work will fit and
      will sell. He knew that as well or better than anyone in the
      business,' said John Scalzi, president of the Science Fiction and
      Fantasy Writers of America..."

      http://tinyurl.com/22jzpwv

      The Washington Post:

      "Mr. Vicinanza specialized in making deals for international rights
      to their clients' books. His agency also represented top science
      fiction and fantasy writers such as Terry Pratchett..."

      http://tinyurl.com/252vcvz

      A eulogy from Beth Meacham, editor of Tor Books:

      "Ralph really loved books; he loved his clients' novels. When we got
      together over breakfast at conventions, or in his irregular after-
      hours phone calls, we'd talk about books—what we loved, where we
      thought a writer was going. He made a lot of money with his
      bestseller clients, but he also adored his smaller books, his less
      successful writers..."

      http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/09/ralph-vicinanza-1950-2010

      ...and from Hugo and Nebula-winning author Robert J. Sawyer:

      "I remember, years ago, when I was looking for a new agent calling
      many of his clients — the biggest names in the business — and
      asking if they'd recommend him. Every single one sung his praises,
      and I was thrilled when Ralph took me on — it was very rare for
      him to take on a new client personally. I never for one second
      doubted I'd found the right person..."

      http://sfwriter.com/blog/?p=2562

      From Locus Online:

      "He started out in publishing at the Scott Meredith Agency, working
      with authors including Norman Mailer, Carl Sagan, and Philip K.
      Dick, and quickly became known as 'Mr. Foreign Rights' for his
      work in creating a global marketplace for American books. He opened
      the Ralph M. Vicinanza Ltd. agency in 1987, and was soon working
      with an ever-expanding roster of names: Stephen King, Robert
      Heinlein, Frank Herbert, George R.R. Martin, Terry Pratchett, Kim
      Stanley Robinson, Robert Silverberg, Connie Willis, Robin Hobb, to
      name a few..."

      http://www.locusmag.com/News/2010/09/ralph-vicinanza-dies/

      [A full obituary will appear in the November issue of Locus — Ed.]

      From Yahoo News:

      "Vicinanza was in publishing for nearly 40 years and early on took a
      special interest in what he considered an undervalued field —
      international rights..."

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100928/ap_en_ot/us_obit_vicinanza

      A photograph of Pterry and Ralph can be found on the PJSM Prints
      news page:

      http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) TERRY PRATCHETT, NOTED SCIENTIFIC EDUCATOR...

      Already known as a perpetrator of "stealth philosophy", Pterry is
      now being lauded for stealth science:

      "Terry Pratchett ('Sir' when he feels like it) is best known as a
      fiction writer, especially the Discworld series which are still one
      of the most entertaining reads in the biosphere. However, Pratchett
      also collaborated (and generated a lot of the popularity, let's not
      deny it) on a series of popular science books entitled The Science
      of Discworld with co-authors Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen, who are
      proper scientists rather than just amazingly good at writing about
      it. For those readers with an interest in science, and possibly kids
      who like a good read, these books are a goldmine. They cover
      physics, biology, chemistry and a fair amount of evolution, but
      clothe it in a Discworld framework that makes for easy reading and a
      narrative point too..."

      http://www.v3.co.uk/v3/news/2272095/top-scientific-educators

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) ...AND ACKNOWLEDGED TITAN AMONGST FANTASISTS

      Sir Terry Pratchett has been awarded one of the three World Fantasy
      Lifetime Achievement Awards for 2010. The other two recipients are
      Brian Lumley and Peter Straub. The award will be presented on 31st
      October at the World Fantasy Con in Columbus, Ohio:
      http://www.contextsf.org/WFC/

      Well done Pterry!

      Full list of awards:
      http://www.worldfantasy.org/awards/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      06) THAT MILLION-TO-ONE SHOT

      In which Sir Pterry is credited with inspiring the American
      military. Tech-centric news site The Register reports, under the
      headline "Terry Pratchett computer sniper-scope deal inked. Makes
      million-to-one shots hit 9 (well, 6) times in 10":

      "The US military's project intended to produce miraculous sighting
      systems for sniper rifles — designed to ensure that million-to-one
      shots will actually be almost certain to hit their target, rather as
      in Terry Pratchett's Discworld stories — has moved forward... One
      Shot programme chiefs expect that any sniper team equipped with
      their kit will be able to make one-shot kills six times out of 10 or
      better out to 1500m regardless of crosswinds etc, using any of the
      normal types of ammo... Such shots would normally be seen as well-
      nigh miraculous, so of course on the Discworld they would hit nine
      times out of ten..."

      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/01/one_shot_deal_inked/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      07) REVIEWS: I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT

      7.1 A long and thoughtful review by Annie J. Kelley in the Battle
      Creek Enquirer:

      "Tiffany is not your typical fantasy heroine, but then this is not
      your typical fantasy series. There is magic, but witches prefer to
      use thinking, pride and a pair of well-used boots... As a witch,
      Tiffany stands at the edges, where good and evil blur. But those
      ambiguous edges are also where humanity and redemption can be
      found... Part of the pleasure of reading a Terry Pratchett novel is
      the way he opens up our world through a fantasy world. It is not
      that he tells a reader anything new - he writes truths that you
      already know, but have never been able to articulate..."

      http://tinyurl.com/297lalv

      7.2 Author Cory Doctorow weighs in at BoingBoing:

      "Midnight is certainly the darkest of the Tiffany Aching books,
      which, though touched with Pratchett's gift for sweet and even
      sentimental characterization and madcap plotting, have been somewhat
      sleight. These are young adult books and they are uplifting in their
      way, and lots of fun, but until now, without the barbs that lurk
      under Pratchett's humor and light treatment, making him such a
      beloved writer... the Cunning Man is a scary haint, described with
      merciless horror by Pratchett, who can do terrifying so well because
      you hardly expect it. Give this book to 15 or 16 year old who
      started reading about Tiffany when they were 8 or 9, and I think
      you'll hit them right where they live... This book really feels like
      a tying together of many loose ends in the Discworld, and I'll
      happily admit that it had me sniffling back tears in the last
      chapter..."

      http://www.boingboing.net/2010/10/12/pratchetts-i-shall-w.html

      7.3 Mary Harris Russell in the Chicago Tribune:

      "When Terry Pratchett started writing about the adventures of
      Tiffany Aching and the Wee Free Men, in "The Wee Free Men," Tiffany
      was a young apprentice to her knowledgeable grandmother, in a land
      geographically akin to the England's West Country, but transfused
      with the ways of magic... For readers who have been waiting for this
      concluding volume, it's satisfying to watch Tiffany become a young
      woman..."

      http://tinyurl.com/38amo9p

      7.4 User Literature, in wide-circulation student paper The Mancunion.
      The piece includes a biography of Pterry, with the review at the
      end:

      "Tiffany must defeat the ghost she herself awoke, and who if she
      does not will pollute the minds of every human, or more specifically
      anyone who is not a witch, into thinking evil prejudice thoughts.
      Yet, alongside dealing with the Cunning Man, Tiffany must conquer
      her hormones to the point that she almost ignores them until
      questions such as "Do you have any passionate parts, miss?" are
      asked of her from inquisitive eight year olds, and later from a
      bride-to-be duchess on what may be required of her on her wedding
      night..."

      http://tinyurl.com/392y5b6

      7.5 DEAR HEATHER, UR DOIN IT RONG

      Seattleite Heather is all at sixes and sevens about I Shall Wear
      Midnight:

      "The book is sitting on my bedside table. It's been there, unopened,
      for two weeks already. I pick it up every evening. It mesmerizes me.
      And it paralyzes me. For my entire adult life I've been reading
      Terry Pratchett. His amazingly inventive sardonic wit has caused me
      endless embarrassment as I laughed out loud in restaurants, on
      planes/trains/buses and once while walking down the street. Jingo
      was the first book I thought of immediately after 9/11. And my
      daughter has literally grown up with Tiffany Aching.

      "So why is I Shall Wear Midnight causing me such distress? Pratchett
      has a rare form of early Alzheimer's. I don't know if he will ever
      write another book. Perhaps I will never again have the wonderful
      thrill of opening a new book by my favorite author. So the book sits
      unopened. And messes with my mind."

      http://blog.seattlepi.com/shelftalk/archives/225397.asp

      Now now, Heather, that's no way to carry on. Any author could find
      himself talking to Mr Door at *any* time, so screw thy Feegle
      sporran to the sticking place, open the book, and stop worrying
      about possible futures!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) REVIEW: UNSEEN ACADEMICALS

      Sheldon Barry in Dispatch Online:

      "Interwoven within the main plot are the personal struggles of the
      four central characters, most of all the inexplicable Mr Nutt, who
      is constantly wrestling with the search for his true identity. Of
      course, nothing is always as it seems...'

      http://www.dispatch.co.za/article.aspx?id=438908

      If you did not get all three parts, write: interact@...