WOSSNAME -- September 2010 -- Part 6 of 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27 5:50 AM
      WOSSNAME -- September 2010 -- Part 6 of 6 (continued)

      ====Part 6 -- LATE BREAKING NEWS, CONTINUED, AND CLOSE

      24) MORE REVIEWS OF I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT

      24) MORE REVIEWS OF I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT

      Reviewer Norah Piehl at Teen Reads empathises with all the readers
      who are saddened to see the end of the Tiffany Aching story arc:

      "Is it possible for the end of something to be both genuinely sad
      and yet utterly satisfactory? Sobered but satisfied might describe
      the legions of Terry Pratchett fans who, with I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT,
      will arrive at the end of his four-volume mini-series... Those who
      want to see Tiffany succeed in her chosen craft will cheer her on;
      those who long for her to find love might be surprised, but not
      disappointed, at what (or, rather, whom) she finds. Even those
      pesky, lovable, unforgettable Nac Mac Feegle receive their ultimate
      reward. So, although readers might at first be cursing 'Crivens!' at
      the thought of never hearing from Tiffany, Rob Anybody, or Daft
      Wullie again, they can close the book on their adventures with a
      deep sigh of contentment..."

      http://www.teenreads.com/reviews/9780061433047.asp

      Simon Appleby at Book Geeks is another longtime Discworld reader who
      delights in ISWM and will defend it with...Feegles?

      "With the physical format of I Shall Wear Midnight mirroring exactly
      what a normal 'adult' Discworld novel would look like, it seems even
      the publishers aren't making much of the distinction any more. All
      things considered, this is A Good Thing, because I Shall Wear
      Midnight is a book that can be enjoyed equally by Pratchett-adoring
      grown-ups and younger readers who may only have met Pratchett
      through the Tiffany Aching books... This being Pratchett there are
      plenty of Themes to Ponder and Things to Think About in I Shall Wear
      Midnight – society's capacity for scapegoating and vilifying
      those who are different, borne out by witchhunts in our own history,
      and the importance of psychology (or Headology) in maintaining the
      special nature of certain vital castes and groups that society needs
      to function. However, that never detracts from the fact that this is
      a simple, enjoyable and laugh-out-loud-funny story told with
      Pratchett's usual verve and style. However old you are, you're
      never to old to read stories this good. And if you don't believe
      me, I'll send the Wee Free Men round to your house..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2d6m895

      ...and a rousing cheer from Joshua S. Hill at Fantasy Book Review:

      "Once again Pratchett writes the mind of a teenage girl perfectly,
      or so I think, never having been one myself. But considering that
      Pratchett was never a teenage girl either, you can't help but
      assume that he has it right on the money... Midnight happens
      quickly. Maybe five days takes place, at best, and Pratchett seems
      to write ensuring that he gets everything in there in as fast as
      possible. This makes for some head spinning action and narrative,
      leaving you wondering where the extra pages went or whether
      Pratchett's desk has a larger draft somewhere...

      "Surprisingly the early third of this book is a little rough,
      leaving you feeling as if you've missed something, or are missing
      something. I'm not sure that I did, but I will reserve judgement
      until I've read it again. And I *will* be reading it again. The
      book had me in tears by the end, tears of joy at having read such a
      wonderful story. It was both heart-warming and cheer-worthy, and I
      couldn't help but notice my heart beat faster as the story reached
      its climax..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2bhmo6f

      Even the often amusing if pretentiously labyrinthine website TV
      Tropes gets in on the act, with a short review that's more of a
      general description and a long list of literary tropes present in
      ISWM. And it's quite obvious that the reviewer knows and loves the
      whole Discworld series.

      As is the custom there, all spoilers are blanked, so if you
      haven't read ISWM yet and don't want to be spoilered, don't click to
      highlight!

      http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Discworld/IShallWearMidnight

      And that's the lot for this month – or nearly all of it. As I'm
      sure many of you are aware, the head priest of a large and powerful
      Roundworld religion paid an official visit to Britain this month,
      and a host of the best and brightest in the arts, sciences and
      governance, Pterry among them, raised their voices in formal
      protest, not so much at the religion as at the person. I decided not
      to report on this item as it wasn't exactly relevant "Pterry news",
      but then we all know our favourite author as a humanist who deplores
      institutionalised wickedness... so I'm going to close with a
      quotation that I feel has some relevance. Here is Lord Vetinari (in
      Unseen Academicals), deep in his cups. In vino veritas, they say...

      "I have told this to few people, gentlemen, and I suspect I never
      will again, but one day when I was a young boy on holiday in
      Uberwald I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a
      mother otter and her cubs. A very endearing sight, I'm sure you will
      agree, and even as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water
      and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to
      a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still
      alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness
      of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby
      otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of
      nature's wonders, gentlemen: mother and children dining upon mother
      and children. And that's when I first learned about evil. It is
      built in to the very nature of the universe. Every world spins in
      pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up
      to all of us to become his moral superior."

      Congratulations to Asti of Bugarup University, who was a winner in
      last month's Going Postal contest held by TV.com. She still doesn't
      know what her prize is yet; we're hoping it's Mr Pump...

      Thanks as always to the various people who helped with the
      newsgathering. Take care, and we'll see you next month!

      -- Annie

      End of Part 6.
      If you did not get all six parts, write: interact@...