WOSSNAME -- September 2010 -- Part 3 of 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2010
      WOSSNAME -- September 2010 -- Part 3 of 6 (continued)

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE...

      11) CONVENTION NEWS
      12) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
      13) REVIEW: THE WEE FREE MEN: THE BEGINNING
      14) REVIEW: THE LAST HERO
      15) SOME INTERESTING OBSERVATIONS ABOUT GOLEMS
      16) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      17) FAMILIAR-LOOKING CAKES

      11) CONVENTION NEWS

      11.1 NADWCON NEWS

      From the 2011 North American Discworld Convention Newsletter
      (September 2010 issue):

      Hello all,

      Welcome to the first of our monthly newsletter informing you on the
      upcoming North American Discworld Convention. This convention is a
      fan celebration of the works of Sir Terry Pratchett with profits
      going toward Sir Terry's two favorite charities, The Alzheimer's
      Research Trust and The Orangutan Foundation:

      http://www.alzheimers-research.org.uk
      http://www.orangutan.org.uk

      Ever since it was announced that Madison, Wisconsin would be the
      site of the 2011 NADWCon, we've been busy preparing for the
      festivities, which will be from Friday July 8th through Monday the
      11th. The Madison Concourse Hotel and Governor's Club has agreed to
      host our event and has a block of rooms set aside at a reduced rate
      for our convention goers. We have booked their entire second floor,
      and three double-sized suites to house the festivities.

      Convention News:
      Some events we have planned are the traditional Maskerade, Charity
      Auction and Gala Banquet as well as a dealers' room of merchandise
      and an art show featuring Discworld specific pieces as well as other
      genre-appropriate art. Those are the programs that are guaranteed to
      happen, after all, we wouldn't even bother having this convention if
      we couldn't bring you those. We have much more in the works that
      will be announced on our Website (www.NADWCon.org) as well as our
      Convention News Community:
      http://community.livejournal.com/nadwcon2009 . Visit our forum
      (http://nadwcon.9.forumer.com) to chat with fellow members about
      Discworld, finding roommates and other things.

      Honored Guests:
      Did you read that correctly? Did we say that Sir Terry Pratchett has
      agreed to attend this convention as our Guest of Honor? Why yes, I
      believe we did; but we've also confirmed that Bernard and Isobel
      Pearson (the Discworld Cunning Artificer and his better half),
      Terry's UK agent Colin Smythe, plus Terry's U.S. editors Jennifer
      Brehl and Anne Hoppe are also coming as well as Rob Wilkins, Sir
      Terry's right-hand man. We will be announcing more guests as they
      are confirmed.

      Igors (Volunteers):
      Any convention needs volunteer help, and we're no exception. If you
      have not yet contacted our Volunteer Coordinator and would like to
      offer your aid, please email volunteer@... and let Nelly
      know your contact information and what skills you might be able to
      offer. We are always on the lookout for anyone who can build,
      organize, plan, or just stand there and look like they know what
      they are doing. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

      Currently our site, www.nadwcon.org, is accepting early registration
      for memberships. Price for adult membership (ages 12 and older) is
      $75 per person, and children between the ages of 4-12 is $45. More
      details on the treats you will be getting for your membership will
      be made available to you as they are confirmed.

      Early booking is advised, and not just because we are showing such a
      positive turn out so early on. The weekend of the NADWCon is going
      to coincide with a big event here in Madison. The annual Art Fair on
      the Square will be taking place July 9 and 10 and will be within
      walking distance of our convention hotel. This is an outdoor art and
      craft show that brings in about a quarter of a million people from
      all over the country.

      Apparently there are other conventions out there too: The 2011
      NADWCon committee is exchanging ideas and other things with the 2011
      Australian Discworld Convention as well as the upcoming 2011 Dutch
      Discworld Convention. If you can attend all three conventions we
      suggest you do, but for those of you that can't you may be lucky
      enough to get your hands on some of the merchandise we are
      exchanging with one another. More info will be made available as it
      is confirmed.

      For those of you that attended the recent Wizard World Conin Chicago
      on the 20th of Aug, you may have run into some of the NADWCon
      committee handing out promotional material. Thanks to all those who
      helped us out and we were quite pleased with the results.

      Also, we had a couple of Igors at Gen Con in Indianapolis earlier in
      August. You may have run into them handing out promotional material.
      Thanks for your help!

      11.2 AUSDWCON NEWS

      An article in the Penrith Star, New South Wales:

      "Confirmation that a best-selling author will be attending a Penrith
      convention on a fantasy book series in April has almost trebled
      ticket sales... Sir Terry Pratchett, author of the 37 Discworld
      novels, has accepted the invitation to attend the third Australian
      convention celebrating the series at Panthers. And the organising
      committee couldn't be happier: 'We're delighted,' Tania Lewis, of
      Emu Heights, said... Mrs Lewis said since Sir Terry's acceptance,
      she has been getting five or six registrations a day compared with
      one or two..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2vd93hm

      11.3 DWCON REPORTS

      Convention report from Heather Wallace aka Gunbunny:

      "Rocky Horror Discworld : We will never get the image of Richard as
      Vetinari cast as Frank-n-Furter out of our heads. EVER. Of course,
      this also means that images of Stephen Briggs in corset, feather
      boa, stockings and heels are now stuck there... Brain bleach,
      STAT..."

      http://burntcopper.livejournal.com/699626.html

      ...and from Ross aka Crazyscot:

      "As a con, we collectively pushed the boat out this year, and the
      result was well beyond 'squee', past 'epic' and firmly into
      'legendary'. I think this one is going to be remembered for a long
      time..."

      http://crazyscot.livejournal.com/313967.html

      A cheerily hyper report from Glinglefeegle:

      "Now, we thought this was a damn good record, but Terry had been
      distracted and missed it. So we did what all good fans did and gave
      him a replay. And then shattered the record all over again..."

      http://glingle-feegle.livejournal.com/9269.html

      On the DWcon blog, a poignant essay by Brian Skelton about his long
      road through fandom to DWcon 2010, his first-ever Discworld
      convention:

      "I don't automatically tell everyone who my favourite Enterprise
      captain is (Picard, of course) or brag about the number of times
      I've read Lord of the Rings. I can pass, almost, for a normal
      person..."

      http://blog.dwcon.org/

      3a. ICONOGRAPHS GALORE!

      A page of links to thousands – no, really – of DWcon 2010 photos:
      http://tinyurl.com/2aepxwe

      http://gideon.fotopic.net/c1890979.html

      How to train your dragon, by Lady Sybil:

      http://tinyurl.com/32m66ga

      The Rocky Horror Discworld cast:

      http://tinyurl.com/26kfs2o
      http://tinyurl.com/29mpzwl

      ...and Otto, with his iconograph:
      http://tinyurl.com/2dgs6kc

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS

      12.1 DISCWORLD PIN BADGES FROM PJSM PRINTS

      Here be a selection of Discworld pin badges, both new and back in
      stock, from the C.M.O.T. Dibbler range of Discworld merchandise by
      Stephen Briggs. These are exclusively available from PJSM Prints.

      New badges:

      The Ankh-Morpork City Watch badge ("Essential for every budding
      Watch Man, Woman, Troll, Dwarf, Golem, Vampire, Pixie etcetera").
      This impressive-looking badge is made of antique bronze metal, 35mm
      high, and features the famous Vimes aphorism "Fabricati diem punc".
      Price £4.95 (also available as a key ring, priced at £6.99).

      The Luggage badge ("new and improved luggage design and it's
      absolutely stunning!"). 30mm wide, price £4.00.

      The Assassins shield badge, in stylish black of course. 22mm high,
      price £3.00.

      The Unseen University shield badge. Wear the crimson and gold with
      pride! 22mm high, price £3.00.

      Old favourites now back in stock:

      Granny Weatherwax "I still ate'nt dead" badge: 40mm wide, £4.25.

      The Librarian "Ook!" badge: 28mm wide, £4.00.

      The Guild of Fools "Dico dico dico" Complete Fool badge: 30mm high,
      £4.00.

      "I met the Hogfather at Crumley's" badge: 38mm wide, £4.25.

      The Guild of Assassins Prefect badge: 30mm high, £4.25.

      (all badge sizes are approximate)

      12.2 SELECTIONS FROM THE CUNNING ARTIFICER

      A few uniquely Discworld-y goodies for gifts or just to keep for
      yourself!

      The Gimlets Hole Food Delicatessen tea towel:

      "Produced on high quality natural cream cotton and screen printed in
      a rich brown, this tea towel is fully washable and should last you a
      lifetime or until you next spill something icky."

      Each towel measures 81cms X 48cms and is priced at £6.50.

      http://www.discworldemporium.com/catalog.php?item=551&catid=28

      The Dibbler Pie:

      "The ultimate pie, straight from the tray of Mr Dibbler, so they're
      bound to be exceeding good, but bloody inedible. If you don't fancy
      eating it, it makes a very good paperweight."

      Lasts longer on the shelf than a Hostess Twinkie! Each pie is hand
      painted, 3 inches in diameter, 1 1/2 inches tall, and priced at
      £10.00

      http://www.discworldemporium.com/catalog.php?item=15&catid=28

      The Ankh-Morpork Postman's key ring:

      "There are three parts to the keyring: A Pillar Box key, a solid
      oval shaped Ankh-Morpork fob bearing the coat-of-arms, and a Walk
      Number tag, all hand-made from lead-free pewter on a steel keyring."

      The Postman's key ring comes in a presentation box and is priced at
      £15.00 plus postage and packing.

      http://www.discworldemporium.com/catalog.php?item=429&catid=28

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) REVIEW: THE WEE FREE MEN: THE BEGINNING

      By Lisa Damian in Blogcritics:

      "This handy paperback encompasses the first two tales in the Tiffany
      Aching series, The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky. This book
      acquaints readers with the endearing young character, Tiffany
      Aching, as she learns she has inherited the role and responsibility
      of being the local Chalk country witch... Terry Pratchett's writing
      intertwines fantasy and humor in a way that makes his books
      irresistibly pleasurable reads... For younger readers who may find
      this level of reading too advanced to tackle on their own, they may
      enjoy being read to from The Illustrated Wee Free Men, which
      features beautiful illustrations creeping throughout almost every
      page..."

      http://blogcritics.org/books/article/book-review-the-wee-free-men/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) REVIEW: THE LAST HERO

      A review by Duane Bond in the Yamhill Valley News Register (USA):

      "There are quite a number of clichés in sword and sorcery stories.
      One of them is the young bronzed hero of Robert E. Howard's
      stories of Conan the Barbarian. Conan, sweating and teeth clenching,
      slays guardsmen and monsters, rescues fair maidens and steals mounds
      of jewels and gold. But as deadly an opponent as he is in his youth,
      what would he be like in his 80s? This is the question that Terry
      Pratchett asks in his novel 'The Last Hero,' which contains
      wonderful illustrations by Paul Kidby..."

      http://www.newsregister.com/article/45488-book+last+hero

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) SOME INTERESTING OBSERVATIONS ABOUT GOLEMS

      In The Guardian's book blog, a notably well-crafted piece by Imogen
      Russell Williams about golems – in Roundworld mythology, in
      Discworld, in other literature and folklore – and their nature:

      "Golems are compelling to writers both because they rely explicitly
      on words to give them life and because they're simultaneously more
      and less than human... weighed down with its creator's wishes, it is
      indisputably a figment, a creature made by others' agency, to fulfil
      others' plans. But they may also develop eccentricities and wishes
      of their own. These secret golem yearnings put Terry Pratchett's
      Feet of Clay high on my list of best-loved Discworld novels...
      Golems fascinate me because they hold up a distorting mirror to
      humanity.."

      http://tinyurl.com/2dccvt3

      Pterry's sword, of course!

      http://www.paulkidby.com/images/news/april2010-02.jpg

      Death of Fruit?!

      http://tinyurl.com/2v6qn9d

      Last month's Image of the Month featured a Discworld cross-stitch
      cushion cover as made by blogger Kastrel. Since there was no info
      available on where to purchase the cross-stitch kit, I asked if any
      of our readers could shed light on the mystery. The answer came from
      Tamar that it's available from Wye Needlecraft:

      "Site sells cross stitch patterns using Kidby Discworld pictures
      including the one she made."

      The kits, from Lyndisfarne Cross Stitch, are based on the artwork of
      Discworld artists Paul Kidby, Josh Kirby and Stephen Briggs. There
      are seventeen different designs, ranging from Death of Rats at
      £16.99 to the magnificent Great A'tuin (complete Elephants and the
      Disc) at £49.95, although most of the kits are priced at £35.99
      each. For more details and ordering instructions, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/362d7ld

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) FAMILIAR-LOOKING CAKES

      On the whimsical Wedinator site, an amazing wedding cake:

      http://tinyurl.com/2dbmlxs

      There are a number of comments there from Discworld fans. One of the
      best was from commenter Lizzie, who observed: "Great A'tuin clearly
      ditched the elephants in favor of fondant. The Discworld is now
      carried on the top a wedding cake that rests on the back of a giant
      turtle. Maybe it's steadier than elephants."

      It's a tortoise, so definitely the thing for Omnian weddings!

      Another Wedinator cake with a possible Discworld connection is this
      one, which brings to mind Verity Pushpram's crab bucket:

      http://tinyurl.com/2b4xjom

      If you did not get all six parts, write: interact@...