WOSSNAME -- September 2010 -- Part 2 of 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2010
      WOSSNAME -- September 2010 -- Part 2 of 6 (continued)

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS AND REVIEWS

      07) ONE MAN AND HIS SWORD
      08) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      09) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      10) REVIEWS: I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT

      07) LOOK WHO'S LOOSED HIS PTERRYFUL SWIFT SWORD...

      Now it can be told – and it's the Fourecksians who apparently told
      it first! The Australian news website news.com.au has published a
      feature article, "Terry Pratchett creates a sword with meteorites",
      in their Technology section:

      "English fantasy author Sir Terry Pratchett says he was so excited
      after being knighted by the Queen that he decided to make his own
      sword to equip himself for his new status. It was not enough,
      however, simply to find some metal and get a blacksmith to bash it
      into shape. Pratchett, believing the sword would not truly be his
      own unless it was made from metal he had produced, found a field
      with deposits of iron ore near his home in Wiltshire, west of
      London. He gathered the deposits and smelted the iron ore himself.
      The author, 62, who has sold about 65 million copies of his books,
      which include the Discworld series, said: 'Most of my life I've been
      producing stuff which is intangible and so it's amazing the
      achievement you feel when you have made something which is really
      real'..."

      http://cl.ly/2Sso

      The story includes a link to a photo of the sword and its faithful
      knight, or at least the parts of him holding the sword.

      A selection of comments on this story, including some, erm,
      idiosyncratic ones:

      Paranoia of Ipswich:
      Sir Terry, you can carry your sword the same way Tiffany carries her
      witches hat.

      Peter Mc of Malvern:
      Have loved Discworld for a long time ... Sometimes reading his books
      you might think that he has had undiagnosed Alzheimer's for a long
      time. They are wonderfully eccentric ... And there is not enough of
      that any more.

      Andrew of Perth:
      I wonder if the sword is called Kring? Watch out Bel-Shammaroth...
      Sir Terry is coming for you!

      Graham:
      Truly an eccentric man and an incredible author. Such a shame that
      someone with a mind like his has Alzheimer's.

      Rob of Sydney:
      Good work that man!

      Tris of Melbourne:
      It's as if he's gone through knighthood and come out the other
      side...

      Stoic of Sydney:
      Wow about time Pratchett got knighted LOL... love his books, his
      humour and its a gift he has blessed many readers with. Thanks Terry
      Pratchett, your books will always be on my shelf.

      Fury:
      He may have Alzheimers, but at least he doesn't have Alzheimers!
      Truly wonderful author, read/listened to almost everything he has
      written. Currently listening to Making Money at the moment!

      Anne71:
      I absolutely love the Discworld books, and I'm so thrilled to see
      Sir Terry Pratchett in such good spirits. He certainly deserves both
      his knighthood and his magic sword. Congratulations, Sir Terry
      Pratchett! Or, in the words of Foul Ole Ron, "Millennium hand and
      shrimp! Buggrit!"

      The Librarian of Unseen University Library:
      @Archchancellor Rincewind – Ook ook! :)

      Shelley of Canberra:
      But does the sword go ting?! It's not a real sword if it doesn't.

      Justin:
      Epic old dude is epic

      TheRiddick of Sydney:
      "If anyone's interested there's a Discworld Convention in Western
      Sydney next year and Sir Terry is coming!" – If he remembers of
      course...

      ...and here's a selection of bits from other sources who passed the
      story along.

      From AOL News:

      "He wrote Discworld, arguably the finest – and funniest – fantasy
      series in modern literature. He's sold more than 65 million books
      worldwide. He's a brilliant satirist who wrote "Good Omens" with
      Neil Gaiman. He's been knighted by the queen of England. So what
      does Terry Pratchett do for an encore? He forges his own sword using
      a meteorite, that's what. Sir Terry Pratchett has collected 81
      kilograms of iron ore and mixed in several pieces of meteorites to
      make an amazing sword, which will be smelted at his house in a
      makeshift kiln built out of clay and hay, fueled with sheep manure.
      What a badass! And if that isn't enough, he is actually smelting the
      ore himself. It's official: Terry Pratchett is a geek God."

      http://tinyurl.com/3x42fy8

      From Geek.com:

      "Terry Pratchett is an astonishing chap. For one thing, he's
      prolific to the point of making other writers want to vomit in
      despair: since 1983, he has written two books a year on average.
      Then there's the Discworld novels to consider. But he's also a
      hero: after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's back in 2007,
      Pratchett has become a crusader for Alzheimer's Patient dignity
      and assisted suicide, as well as donating over a million dollars to
      find a cure for the disease. What a guy. No wonder the Queen
      knighted him last year... Jeez, if this guy isn't cool enough to
      beat Alzheimer's, I just don't know who is..."

      http://tinyurl.com/27secxv

      From Josh Jasper in Publishers Weekly:

      "One wonders if this will convince Jerry Pournelle to get his own
      orbital death ray."

      http://blogs.publishersweekly.com/blogs/genreville/?p=776

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      8.1 PTERRY'S DONATION AT WORK

      Earlier this month, Dr Louise Serpell of the University of Sussex
      spoke at the university's first Life Sciences Research Symposium
      about her efforts to find ways of slowing or halting the progress of
      Alzheimer's disease:

      "Her major research project, which is funded by Discworld author Sir
      Terry Pratchett's $1 million donation to the Alzheimer's Research
      Trust, involves a team of scientists trying to understand how a
      hallmark protein involved in Alzheimer's can be prevented from
      building into toxic clumps. Dr Serpell said: 'I am honoured to have
      been invited to speak at this prestigious event and spread the word
      about the work of our team. We feel strongly that research really is
      the only way to defeat dementia. The first stages of our study have
      been very promising, and we expect to have some very exciting
      results to report back in the near future'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/234gyhm

      8.2 INTERVIEW: PTERRY LOOKS AT HIS PRESENT AND FUTURE

      Although this interview of Pterry by Aida Edemariam was published in
      The Guardian's books section and does cover I Shall Wear Midnight,
      it is mostly about our favourite author's further thoughts on the
      effects of his Alzheimer's and on the subjects of dignity in dying
      and assisted death:

      "He seems a man used to being listened to: his sentences unspool
      evenly, sometimes a shade irascibly, from beginning to end, often as
      anecdotes topped and tailed and full of random facts, gloried in for
      their own sake...

      "He doesn't say it in so many words, but that must also be combined
      with grief for the loss of his ability to write longhand, or type
      with anything other than one finger at a time (although, weirdly, he
      is still perfectly able to sign his name — 'the bit that knows how
      to sign my name is an entirely different bit of the brain'); the
      grief of knowing that while he may have years yet, most of his other
      mental faculties will go the same way. But probably not suddenly...

      "How does it change his sense of self? 'Well – no one's policing
      their own minds more than an author. You spend a lot of time in your
      own head analysing what you think about things, and a philosophy
      comes. I think – this is going to follow me for ages – I'm open
      to moments of joy...'"

      http://tinyurl.com/2wh5cg2

      9.1 REMINDER: MONSTROUS REGIMENT IN FOURECKS

      Unseen Theatre's production of Monstrous Regiment, which opened on
      17th September, continues its current run to 2nd October.

      Venue: Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide, South
      Australia
      Time: 8.00pm all performances (2 hours plus a 15 minute interval)
      Tickets: Adults $18, concession $15, Groups of ten or more $14
      BOOKINGS: www.bakehousetheatre.com or 82270505

      www.unseen.com.au

      9.2 WYRD SISTERS IN SKEGNESS

      The Skegness Playgoers present their production of Wyrd Sisters next
      month.

      When: Friday 15th and Saturday 16th October 2010
      Venue: Embassy Theatre, Skegness
      Tickets: 8 GBP adults, 7 GBP concessions, 2 GBP accompanied children
      Box office: Embassy Box Office, ring 08456 740 505.

      Please book early as seating for these two nights are limited.

      9.3 GOING POSTAL IN BRISBANE

      The Brisbane Arts Theatre will perform Going Postal at the end of
      October.

      When: October 30 - November 20, 2010 (includes a special Halloween
      performance)
      Tickets: Adults AUD27, Concessions AUD22, Members AUD 17; Opening
      night special AUD37 (price includes supper and drink); Halloween
      Special AUD40 (includes supper, drinks and Halloween party)
      Bookings: 3369 2344 or http://www.artstheatre.com.au
      Email bookings: bookings@...

      (bookings are essential)

      9.4 REVIEWS OF MONSTROUS REGIMENT IN FOURECKS

      Unseen Theatre's current production of Monstrous Regiment in
      Adelaide is the company's most triumphant one yet! Here be a
      selection of reviews:

      Kosta Jaric, in Fringe Benefits:

      "The strength of this production is the cast. Director Pamela Munt
      has picked the right mix of talent to play the various roles, and
      even when the jokes get seriously corny (and they do) they deliver
      it in such a genuinely funny way... Some scenes drag their heels
      slightly but the dialogue is always entertaining, and it's
      refreshing to know that you're walking into a play that rarely
      wavers and is consistent in delivery. Bakehouse is one of the more
      intimate spaces to perform, and Unseen do a great job of unfurling
      the 'world' over a split-level set that is never too cramped for
      the large cast..."

      http://www.fringebenefits.com.au/?p=4130

      Stephen Davenport, in Australian Stage:

      "Many comedies have satirised the folly of war, but very few would
      dare to establish parallels between a fantasy world – set on the
      back of a giant turtle swimming through the cosmos – and modern
      conflict here on Earth. Yet although the play is based on a
      speculative fiction novel, Director Pamela Munt requests honesty
      from her cast, and it pays off. Kahlia Tutty, playing Polly Perks,
      the girl who cuts her hair in a hurry to become a boy (Oliver),
      swings readily from walking, talking and farting like a man; to
      familial loyalty, questioning soldier, hip swivelling feminine
      washerwoman and action hero who knees the Prince of Zlobenia in the
      sock drawers... Just a few actors and some rough props bring the
      magic and madness of Discworld to life. In many ways the production
      has the heart of a pantomime-cum-sitcom, with many of Pratchett's
      lines delivered with gleeful seriousness... There are plenty of
      funny one-liners but on the odd occasion the play does creak under
      the weight of its condensed script. But that is a minor point..."

      http://tinyurl.com/3xo8hlo

      Rod Lewis, in Glam Adelaide:

      "This is by far one of Unseen Theatre's tightest productions, with
      most set changes occurring in the dark during other scenes... Kudos
      to the efficient backstage crew however, who are as quiet and
      unobtrusive as possible when sharing the stage... Kahlia Tutty plays
      Polly and is a delight to watch as the only actor who progresses her
      character from unconvincingly pretending to be a guy to adopting her
      masculine persona naturally... David Geddes steals the light as the
      troll Carborundum, a comically dense creature made of boulders...
      Kristofa Cassono is nicely understated as the coffee-addicted
      Vampire Maladict..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2vhxp4z

      Remember, Monstrous Regiment continues at the Bakehouse Theatre
      through 2nd October. See the reminder above for details.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) REVIEWS: I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT

      A review by Alex Sarll in the Northern Echo (UK):

      "Pratchett's book is suffused with an awareness of the thankless
      exhaustion which awaits people in the caring professions. Most
      Discworld witches spend more time as a district nurse, social worker
      or vet than turning anyone into a toad – and Tiffany is no
      exception. As the well-paced plot unravels in Pratchett's
      inimitable style, it goes without saying that everything gets very
      funny..."

      http://tinyurl.com/3yw5x8g

      ...and by Kerri Jackson in the New Zealand Herald:

      "Pratchett's stories have become gradually darker over the years.
      The temptation is to attribute that to the author's struggles with
      Alzheimer's. But it seems more likely that familiarity with his
      world and his ever-increasing success, means he can bring the
      grimmer elements that have always been a part of his stories to the
      forefront... I Shall Wear Midnight is not a perfect Pratchett –
      but it is fierce, dark, intelligent and still streets ahead of
      anybody else..."

      http://tinyurl.com/24sfnd9

      A review by Librarian Amy Watts, in Library Journal:

      "The trademark Pratchett humor is in full force along with the
      classic elements of a witch, a royal wedding, a royal funeral, a
      trip to the big city, and an ominous villain... As usual, Pratchett
      makes wise and wry observations about human behavior..."

      http://tinyurl.com/28qhmz4

      ...and one by Andrew Nevill on alt.books.pratchett:

      A quick review-ette of I Shall Wear Midnight. First time around, I
      just wanted to read the story so wasn't reading it in depth. So
      these are just my initial impressions. I'm sure other people will be
      along presently with a in depth page-by-page review and annotations.
      I tried to keep it Spoiler-lite but have included the customary
      lines. After all, it's Tradition.

      It is marvelous. It is almost certainly the last Tiffany book, and
      if Terry writes about Tiffany again, it's not going to be within a
      children's/young adult novel. As the title – a quote in 'A Hat of
      Sky' when Tiffany declared, "When I am old I shall midnight" –
      suggests, this is the book where Tiffany enters adulthood. In this
      book, she's holding down her own patch. Significantly, in the other
      three books, she's always had a little bit of help but here she
      insists, in the face of help almost being forced upon her, of
      sorting out her own problems. So anything further would have to be
      in an 'adult' book.

      There are some real treats in it for the fans. Some good news for a
      favourite character and the return of another character, who's fate
      has long been a subject of speculation. Well, we finally get some
      answers. Those answers raise more yet questions tantalising fans
      with the possibility – and the hope – that the returnee may return
      once more. There's also some new characters introduced whose tales
      are ripe for continuation and it would be great to read more of them
      in the future.

      My only criticism of the book is in the antagonist. In this book,
      it's a more insidious, less tangible enemy than in the other three.
      As such, it's the most dangerous enemy Tiffany has faced and a
      suitable opponent for her to show just how much she learnt over the
      books. But this intangibility means there's no actual
      personification of evil to boo and hiss, if you like, no single
      figure to cheer Tiffany on against. As a result this, actually, most
      threatening of enemies doesn't always appear to be especially
      threatening. It seems to me that Terry's got loads more he could
      tell us about Tiffany. So this may be the last Tiffany centred book
      but this may not be the last we hear of Ms Aching.

      If you did not get all six parts, write: interact@...