WOSSNAME -- September 2010 -- Part 1 of 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2010
      September 2010 (Volume 13, Issue 9)
      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger (who still ate'nt dead)
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      03) INTERVIEW: PTERRY ON I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT
      04) I SHALL WEAR...PYJAMAS
      05) I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT NEWS
      06) PTERRY AT THE CHISWICK FESTIVAL (REVIEW)

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS AND REVIEWS

      07) ONE MAN AND HIS SWORD
      08) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      09) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      10) REVIEWS OF I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE...

      11) CONVENTION NEWS
      12) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
      13) REVIEW: THE WEE FREE MEN: THE BEGINNING
      14) REVIEW: THE LAST HERO
      15) SOME INTERESTING OBSERVATIONS ABOUT GOLEMS
      16) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      17) FAMILIAR-LOOKING CAKES

      ====Part 4 -- ODDS, SODS AND HOROSCOPE

      18) THE GREAT ORANGUTAN ESCAPE
      19) AROUND THE BU CAMPUS
      20) ABP NEWSROUND
      21) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE, MAR > AUG

      ====Part 5 -- HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED, AND LATE BREAKING NEWS

      22) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE, AUG > MAR
      23) LATE BREAKING NEWS

      ====Part 6 -- LATE BREAKING NEWS, CONTINUED, AND CLOSE

      24) MORE REVIEWS OF I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "The Queen tapped me on the shoulder with the sword...and she
      said...'When's the next Rincewind book coming out?'"

      – Pterry, at DWcon 2010

      "It's official: Terry Pratchett is a geek God."

      – AOL News

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      I'm passing along a tip: read I Shall Wear Midnight at least twice,
      making the second reading not long after the first. Why? Because
      there are elements of the story, and significant events here and
      there in it, that simply cannot be fully appreciated on one's
      initial reading. Even though I loved it on the first reading, I did
      find elements of the story seemed a little bit disjointed. But on a
      second (and even more so on a third) reading, I found that it wasn't
      disjointed at all; it was simply that there were things that *felt*
      slightly occluded or out of joint until one realised, much later in
      the story, what was really going on. Once the whole shebang is out
      and the reveals are revealed, one can go back and see that
      everything is perfectly in place. This is *not* a criticism of
      Pterry, because there wouldn't have been any way to do things
      otherwise without revealing too much!

      Yet another reminder: the deadline for submissions for the Terry
      Pratchett Prize is 31 December 2010, and a shortlist of six entries
      will be announced by 31 March 2011. So, you weren't really thinking
      of spending your writing energies on NaNo, were you...

      On with the show...

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) THE SILENT INTERVIEW: PTERRY DISCUSSES ISWM AND SUCH

      Terry Pratchett was recently interviewed on BBC radio's Up All Night
      programme by Adam Rosser, who happens to be a dedicated Discworld
      fan and therefore asked questions beyond the usual round if "things
      journalists ask famous authors". Pterry was on especially great
      form, sounding even more relaxed and in command than he has since he
      first found himself becoming a worldwide icon. Unfortunately, this
      programme was only briefly available on the BBC's iPlayer and even
      then was not available for listeners outside the BBC's UK catchment,
      so the best WOSSNAME can offer is a link to the companion article,
      also by Adam Rosser:

      "The Discworld is a series that I return to: picking one or other of
      them up and ripping through. It doesn't matter that these are books
      I've read and re-read; there are always corners and turns of phrase
      in any book that you forget between visits. That's part of the
      pleasure of revisiting them. Of course, from a series as big as
      this, 38 books and counting, you have your favourites. I personally
      think he hit his stride around 'Wyrd Sisters' in '88. Before that
      the books are more obviously parodying bad fantasy novels, and let's
      be honest here (we're amongst friends if you've read this far)
      there's a lot of bad fantasy out there... The Discworld started out
      as one thing but has, over the course of the last 27 years, become
      something else entirely. It's not just a realm for literary
      mischief; it's also the place where Sir Terry explores ideas about
      identity, society and politics...

      "Tiffany Aching is officially a proper witch. I know because Granny
      Weatherwax has said so. If that sentence leaves you bewildered there
      is a simple solution, pop down the library and ask a librarian to
      point you in the right direction. If you're very lucky you'll find a
      large hand which feels a little like a worn leather glove thrust
      into yours as you are led towards the long shelves..."

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/5live/2010/09/terry-practchett.shtml

      (includes selected video footage of the interview)

      However, if any readers would like ~coughs~ more information about
      this radio interview, write to interact@.... You never
      know when a passing Technomancy imp might pop up. Hat. Hat. Hat.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) I SHALL WEAR...PYJAMAS

      And so it came to pass that at the midnight London launch of I Shall
      Wear Midnight earlier this month, our favourite author met the
      public in a fetching ensemble of plaid nightshirt and matching
      nightcap. Here be some marvellous footage from the ISWM launch:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aYoZrMKjvU

      Also, video footage of Pterry being interviewed about I Shall Wear
      Midnight by Nick Higham on Meet the Author – on a truly eye-popping
      sofa:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhvUHI6WJcY

      An exclusive eyewitness account by WOSSNAME's reporter on the spot,
      the lovely Llin Thomas:

      The website, the official email, the letter that came with the
      tickets and the signs in the window of Waterstone's Piccadilly
      branch all said DO NOT ARRIVE BEFORE 10.30PM, so of course when we
      got there at just gone ten there was already a queue around the
      corner of mostly grown-ups, a few children and a couple of people in
      pointy hats.

      We were let in a little before eleven, collecting our goodie bags at
      the entrance – each one containing a copy of the book, a free
      limited-edition print of the cover image, a badge, and a pen. There
      were also glasses of wine for those who wanted them, and after we
      had collected all of this we were herded into a winding queue
      squashed into a narrow oblong down the middle of the shop. People in
      the queue started to speed-read the book. In the distance we could
      see a stage. We assumed that sometime prior to the talk we would get
      to move a bit closer to it, but that turned out not to be the case.
      At one point staff came around asking whether people had written
      down any questions for Sir Terry, but since nobody had told us this
      was an option, few people had.

      The dozen or so people at the very front of the queue had a great
      view. When the question 'can you all see us at the back?' was met
      with resounding cries of 'no!', Sir Terry and Tony Robinson gamely
      got out of their comfy armchairs and instead did the interview
      standing up, which helped a little. It was also transmitted on
      screens, but these were quite low down so it was still difficult to
      see what was going on for the differently tall in the audience.

      Thankfully the sound was excellent, and we were able to hear every
      word of the forty-minute interview, during which Sir Terry talked
      eloquently and hilariously about such topics as religion and
      morality, his writing methods, advice he might give his younger
      self, his time as a journalist, which of his books he would preserve
      above all others (the answer was Nation, and he thinks his books for
      children are the best overall), and the difficulty of getting voice
      recognition software to speak Feegle. Tony Robinson was a terrific
      interviewer, and it felt more like an intimate chat than a staged
      interview, as he shared his own experiences with the Discworld
      books.

      After this, there was a brief lull while the stage was rearranged
      ready for the signing itself. Sir Terry reappeared in a very
      fetching red nightshirt, and posed for a few photos before getting
      down to the business of signing at midnight exactly. In addition to
      an autograph, each fan got two lovely official stamps on their title
      page proclaiming that they had been at the midnight launch and that
      this was the official signature of Terry Pratchett.

      The evening was excellent value at £9.50 per ticket – we could
      have paid twice as much and not felt cheated – and although there
      seemed to be a few organisational issues, the Waterstone's staff
      were friendly and helpful, and the problems didn't spoil a
      fascinating and exciting evening.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT NEWS

      5.1 SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION

      Amazon.com is offering an "Exclusive Limited, Numbered Collector's
      Edition" hardcover of I Shall Wear Midnight:

      "Special collector's edition, beautifully packaged in a slipcase and
      including extra content: a treatise on the folklore in the book by
      The Folklore of Discworld co-author Jacqueline Simpson plus one
      extra illustration from Paul Kidby. Limited edition, hand stamped &
      numbered."

      The price is £40.00. Delivery is free in the UK with Amazon's Super
      Saver Delivery option:

      http://tinyurl.com/29fed57

      5.2 RANDOM HOUSE ANNOUNCEMENT:

      The official publisher blurb:

      "A man with no eyes. No eyes at all. Two tunnels in his head.. It's
      not easy being a witch, and it's certainly not all whizzing about on
      broomsticks, but Tiffany Aching - teen witch - is doing her
      best.Until something evil wakes up, something that stirs up all the
      old stories about nasty old witches, so that just wearing a pointy
      hat suddenly seems a very bad idea. Worse still, this evil ghost
      from the past is hunting down one witch in particular. He's hunting
      for Tiffany. And he's found her... A fabulous Discworld title filled
      with witches and magic and told in the inimitable Terry Pratchett
      style, I Shall Wear Midnight is the fourth Discworld title to
      feature Tiffany and her tiny, fightin', boozin' pictsie friends, the
      Nac Mac Feegle (aka The Wee Free Men)."

      To order a copy, go to:
      http://news.randomhouse.co.uk/go.asp?/bISB001/q97A66/xYHAN31

      It's also available as an ebook:
      http://news.randomhouse.co.uk/go.asp?/bISB001/qIP1F6/xYHAN31

      5.3 GOTTA WATCH OUT FOR THAT TITLE WORD

      The Orbit Books website offers a visual compendium (in jpeg form) of
      the most frequently used words in fantasy novel titles published
      last year. Hysterically funny, deeply disturbing, or both? Judge for
      yourself:

      http://tinyurl.com/2g5hu2u

      [Presumably the tiny word 'midnight' (top right corner, second from
      right) will have a larger presence in next year's image... –Ed.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      06) THE CHISWICK FESTIVAL REVIEW

      By Franco Milazzo in The Londonist:

      "He was in a sprightly mood and didn't disappoint the faithful West
      London fans at St Michael & All Angels Church with tales from his
      youth, describing how libraries helped him fall in love with the
      written word when education failed him. He drew us wonderful mental
      images of his much younger self begging the Head Librarian for, and
      getting, a volunteer job in the library so that he could take home
      as many books as he wanted..."

      http://tinyurl.com/399gpy2

      If you did not get all six parts, write: interact@...