WOSSNAME -- August 2010 -- Part 3 of 5

  • granny_tude
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2010
      WOSSNAME -- AUGUST 2010 -- PART 3 OF 5 (continued)

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE...

      15) CONVENTION AND MEET NEWS
      16) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      17) WHAT THE VINTNERS...UM, READ
      18) ...AND WHAT THE LITERARY SNOBS *SHOULD* READ
      19) BLOG REVIEWS OF DISCWORLD BOOKS
      20) ORANGUTANS ARE MIMES?!
      21) IMAGE OF THE MONTH
      22) IN JOURNALISM: PRATCHETT REFERENCES FOR THE WIN

      15) CONVENTION AND MEET NEWS

      15.1 DWCON 2010

      As this issue of WOSSNAME goes to print (or at least, to font), the
      2010 Discworld Convention is getting underway.

      Starring A Certain Author ("World record holder of the ten book
      dash, gold medalist in the humour heptathlon and undisputed champion
      of the signing endurance test. All this despite his claims that he
      has a defective sports gene.") and all the Usual Suspects -- Bernard
      (the Cunning Artificer) Pearson, Colin Smythe, Stephen Briggs,
      Science of Discworld co-authors Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen,
      Jacqueline Simpson, Stephen Baxter, and the ubiquitous Lionel
      Fanthorpe, the four-day convention offers such activities as a
      Clacks-building workshop, Create Your Own Religion, previously
      unseen footage from Going Postal, the Leonard Da Quirm Aerial
      Challenge, the Coronation of the Low King, the Dwarf Olympics, the
      Rocky Horror Discworld Show, and a host of the usual events
      (Maskerade, Gala Dinner, and of course a book signing or two).

      Here's to another successful DWcon!

      https://www.dwcon.org

      Also, although the rest of us won't get to see some of the DWcon
      exclusive events, we can [I *think* -- Ed.] buy one very special
      item: a limited edition t-shirt commissioned by the Orangutan
      Foundation. These shirts feature the Librarian in one of Paul
      Kidby's famous scenes; they are "guilt free, organic, fairtrade and
      carbon neutral", and all proceeds from the sales go to the Orangutan
      Foundation.

      For more info, and to order, email cathy@... or ring
      (in UK) 020 7724 2912.

      15.2 LONDON SEPTEMBERMEET

      The umpt-th (sixth?) annual London SeptemberMeet - for some, it's a
      come-down from the DWCon, for others it's a chance to catch up with
      people we haven't seen for ages (especially if the state of the
      railways meant we couldn't get to the Con *grumblegrumble*)...

      Unlike in previous years, this is a two-centre meet, catering both for
      those who are able to get into London during the day and those who
      prefer the traditional evening meet.

      Part the First - 14:00-17:00
      The Crosse Keys, Gracechurch Street, London EC3V 0DR
      Nearest Rail: Bank (underground)

      This is a converted bank in the City, with an island bar serving up to
      21 guest beers, and is listed in the Good Beer Guide 2010. It's a
      Wetherspoons, so late lunchers will have a fair chance of knowing
      what's on offer even before they arrive, and it'll have the usual
      standbys in addition to the 21. It's usually pretty quiet on a
      Saturday, but they have a function room which I will have a crack at
      reserving, just in case.

      Part the Second - 18:00-late
      Pembury Tavern, Amhurst Road, Hackney E8 1JH
      Nearest Rail: Hackney Downs

      An old London-meets favourite which needs no introduction (save to
      point out that it's also in the GBG and does food.) To get here from
      the Crosse Keys, take the Central line one stop to Liverpool street,
      then take a train to Hackney Downs. After getting out of the station,
      walk right along Dalston Lane, and the pub is on the major junction
      ahead.

      Map links are available from <http://countertony.livejournal.com/
      60477.html>, which will be acting as a clearing-house for comments and
      questions.

      -- Countertony

      15.3 AUSDWCON NEWS

      They say the third time's a charm, and next year's Nullas Anxietas
      III, the third Australian Discworld Convention, looks to be proof of
      that adage. AusDWCon are now offering some truly impressive-looking
      convention merchandise that can be purchased ahead of time. The
      selection includes limited edition Paul Kidby artwork promotional
      items ranging from mouse mats and mugs to t-shirt, totes, aprons and
      even a doggie shirt. Many of the items can also be customised, with
      a choice of your own text added. The prices are very steep -- for
      example, $48.90 to $62.45 for a t-shirt (various styles), $50.60 for
      a tie and $24.25 to $27.50 for a mug -- but the items do look
      superb, and after all it's the stuff memories are made of (as they
      also say). Best buys (in Your Editor's opinion) are the tote bag
      featuring the Kidby Nullas Anxietas III logo for $16.85 and the
      Kidby logo fridge magnet, a snip at $4.85.

      http://www.zazzle.com.au/nullus_anxietas

      .1 MONSTROUS REGIMENT IN FOURECKS

      "John Knox (well known Protestant Reformer of the 16th Century) is
      turning in his grave!   His view that women are "weak, pale,
      impatient, feeble, foolish, inconstant, variable, cruel and lacking
      the spirit of counsel and regiment" is about to be exposed for
      exactly what it is - MONSTROUS! It may have taken five centuries
      since Knox wrote his essay entitled "The First Blast of the Trumpet
      Against the Monstrous Regiment of Women", as well as the enormous
      satirical wit of Sir Terry Pratchett, for Unseen Theatre Company to
      blow its own first blast of the trumpet, but here we are, ready to
      do battle with our own Monstrous Regiment, led by -- you guessed it
      -- a girl!"

      Continuing their ever more successful run of live Discworld plays,
      the Unseen Theatre's latest production will be Monstrous Regiment.
      Adapted by Stephen Briggs and once again directed by Pamela Munt,
      who by now must be second only to Briggs himself in Discworld plays
      production experience, the production will run from 17th September
      to 2nd October. Not to be missed!

      When: 17th Sep 10 - 2nd Oct 10
      Venue: Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide, South
      Australia
      Time: 8.00pm all performances (duration is 2 hours plus a 15 minute
      interval)
      Tickets: Adults $18, concession $15, Groups of ten or more $14,
      Fringe Benefits $14
      BOOKINGS: www.bakehousetheatre.com or 82270505

      A special preview night will be held on Friday 17th September.
      Tickets for this night are $15. Entry is free for holders of Health
      Care Cards.

      www.unseen.com.au

      .2 WYRD SISTERS IN BRISTOL: THE STORY OF A FUNDRAISING PLAY

      "Director Jessica Bevan, an archaeology graduate, said: 'The
      Prince's Trust is a charity that helps young people to get back into
      work, education or training by giving assistance in the form of
      various programmes and awards. Funds raised by events such as ours
      stay in the area where the money was raised, so all proceeds from
      the show will go to help disadvantaged young people here in
      Bristol...."

      http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2010/7181.html

      Bevan talks about how she came to direct a Pratchett play to raise
      money for the Prince's Trust:

      http://www.unscriptedlife.co.uk/wyrd/show/

      Here be a selection of photos from the production:

      http://www.unscriptedlife.co.uk/wyrd/gallery/

      The poster for the play was excellent:

      http://www.unscriptedlife.co.uk/wyrd/images/gallery/poster.jpg

      [Editor's note: now *this* -- http://www.unscriptedlife.co.uk/wyrd/
      -- is what a webbe site should be! Beautiful to look at, painlessly
      functional, clearly and logically presented... the Unscripted Life
      crew and webmaster deserve a glass of finest vintage scumble for
      this. Possibly with a soupcon of dead sheep "for those special
      customers"...]

      .3 WYRD SISTERS IN CHORLTON: ICONOGRAPHS

      Chorlton Players performed Wyrd Sisters earlier this month at St
      Werburgh's Church in Chorlton, Lancs. Co-director Rohan Shenoy had
      said, "I've been a Pratchett fan all my life and with the current
      level of interest in his work, it just seemed like the right time to
      stage the show. I'm determined to make the play true to the original
      novel. We're not going to descend into pantomime or chase laughs at
      any cost... I want the show to be just as enjoyable to someone who's
      completely unfamiliar with the books as it will be to someone who's
      steeped in the lore of Discworld."

      So how did they do? Well, the photos look good:

      http://tinyurl.com/3xztwpr

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) WHAT THE VINTNERS...UM, READ

      Terri Schultz, owner of the Children's Book Store in Brookline,
      Massachusetts, loves her work -- and its perks! In an interview, she
      talks about young readers and her own love of "children's books":

      "I'm in the middle of the last Tiffany Aching book by Terry
      Pratchett. I don't want to finish it because I love it so much —
      and there will be no more. It's the fourth and last in the series.
      I'm treasuring every word... The true readers have not changed.
      They are just as excited and nerdy and wonderful. It gives me great
      hope, that kids can be so excited about books, and that they come in
      and tell each other about what they're reading..."

      http://tinyurl.com/33ukxku

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) ...AND WHAT THE LITERARY SNOBS *SHOULD* READ

      Richard Cooper of East Sussex writes in The Guardian:

      "Writers from Charlotte Brontë and Dickens to Graham Greene and
      Kingsley Amis knew that if a truly gifted novelist is telling a
      story, he or she is already using language as magic. As Alan Moore
      observed, culture really exists at the margins. It's writers like
      Terry Pratchett, Philip Pullman and the late JG Ballard who open up
      the 'sense of destiny, of other worlds suggested but lying beyond
      words...'"

      http://tinyurl.com/2bpn9dj

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) BLOG REVIEWS OF DISCWORLD BOOKS

      Going Postal, in BCF Reviews:

      "I liked Moist. He was a funny man, but also determined and clever.
      His previous crimes gave him a shady, yet ingenious mind that was
      very helpful for him, and very entertaining to read. Lord Vetinari
      was my favourite character in the book. His dry wit just made me
      laugh... In the synopsis there is talk of hope. I didn't find this
      a big theme throughout the book. I thought the main idea was to
      remember there are old fashioned ways to communicate! It seemed to
      me that Pratchett was having a sight a dig at modern technology, and
      I thought that was funny..."

      http://tinyurl.com/3yeenvg

      The Colour of Magic, on Just Finished reading:

      "It was a great book but I really dont think it works extremely well
      as a stand alone and should be followed by The Light Fantastic as if
      they were one book, the story works much better that way in my
      opinion. But yea, I really liked the first two books, enough to go
      and take advantage of a 3 for 2 book offer and get the next 3 in the
      series (The Discworld series doesnt have to be read in order, unless
      you have mild OCD like me). Fantasy has become my favourite genre in
      the last couple of years..."

      http://benbarlow85.com/2010/08/17/just-finished-reading-17/

      ...and on Gentleman Beggar:

      "I finally understand what all the fuss has been about. I've long
      put off reading any Pratchett, because his books were always on the
      shelf exactly where Mervyn Peake should have been. I'm glad I gave
      in, and tried this book. Pratchett does a great job of putting a new
      spin on some of my favorite tropes..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2vwhxc8

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) ORANGUTANS TALK TO EACH OTHER BY...ERM...

      "Just like humans, orangutans will resort to mime to get their
      message across, scientists report. A team from Canada found the
      great apes would sometimes use elaborate gestures to explain what
      they meant. They mimed the action of being scratched to get an itch
      attended to, and enacted opening a termite nest to prompt a partner
      to do just that... The team found 18 cases where orangutans had been
      spotted performing mimes..."

      21) IMAGE OF THE MONTH

      This one's a bit of a mystery. It's also rather blurry. But I
      thought it was worth sharing: a photo of an Unseen University
      cushion, as made by blogger and cross-stitcher Kastrel.

      Kastrel says this comes from a cross-stitch kit. Does anyone out
      there know where these can be purchased?

      http://kastrel.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/cushion-2.jpg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      22) IN JOURNALISM: PRATCHETT REFERENCES FOR THE WIN

      Kevin McCallum is a sportswriter in South Africa. He's also a
      diehard Discworld fan. He manages to combine the two rather well:

      "My favourite line from my collection of Terry Pratchett novels --
      all of which rumble with intent and restlessness on the shelves in
      my office in much the same way as do the magic books in the library
      at Unseen University -- is from the Last Continent: 'Rincewind awoke
      with a scream -- to get it over with.' Rincewind is a wizard so
      hapless on his pointed hat he has his profession spelt as "Wizzard".
      The only spell he ever got inside his head landed up there without
      permission and he dare not speak it in case it blew up the planet.
      Rincewind spent his life running from and yet into a series of
      adventures he is in no way prepared for or able to handle. And yet,
      through luck and with the universe smiling kindly on him, he
      stumbles through, becomes a hero of sorts. The Lions have been a lot
      like Rincewind for the best part of the 21st Century. On Saturday
      mornings, Lions fans awoke with a scream -- just to get it over
      with..."

      More Discworld references in the article:

      http://tinyurl.com/244apcd

      ...and then there's Australian journalist Michael Pascoe, who drops
      an extended Discworld quotation into an otherwise straight article
      in the Sydney Morning Herald about world economies and other serious
      topics:

      "Perhaps less nuanced are similar thoughts about news in the Terry
      Pratchett novel, The Truth. At one point Sacharissa asks the hero if
      he is sure a major story he has is all true. 'I'm sure it's
      journalism,' said William.

      "'And what is that supposed to mean?'

      "'It means it's true enough for now.'

      "That combination of focusing on the bad and being 'true enough for
      now' means we subject ourselves to a disproportionately gloomy world
      view..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2bd8eyl