WOSSNAME -- August 2010 -- Part 2 of 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2010
      WOSSNAME --AUGUST 2010 -- PART 2 OF 5 (continued)

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, ODDS AND SODS

      05) I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT FOR KINDLE
      06) CHISWICK FESTIVAL: WRITE YOUR WAY IN
      07) GOING POSTAL NEWS
      08) DISCWORLD FANS MAKE GREAT EXTRAS IN MY MOVIES, PTERRY SAYS
      09) DEATH: A FAVOURITE AMONG HEROES
      10) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      11) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
      12) ACTION REPLAY: PTERRY ON YOUTUBE
      13) OYCSMtM NOW MORE WIDELY AVAILABLE
      14) TRUCKERS: ON AGAIN...?

      05) COME ON, TIFF'NY, LIGHT MY KINDLE

      "Amazon has officially announced that the Kindle Store is now open
      for those in the UK. The news comes by way of an official press
      release and touts the immediate availability of more than 400,000
      ebooks along with over 170 UK and international newspapers and
      magazines. Furthermore, and having to take the word of Amazon, they
      have also stated that the Kindle Store will be offering the
      'lowest prices of any e-bookstore in the UK.' And judging from
      some of the pricing that Amazon mentioned, they do seem pretty fair.
      Some of the ebooks include The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest and
      The Girl Who Played With Fire by Steig Larsson for £2.70, The Girl
      With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson for £3.46, The Lost Symbol
      by Dan Brown for £3.41, The Legacy by Katherine Webb for £3.35 and
      I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett for £8.54..."

      http://tinyurl.com/38l288k

      "The move comes after the announcement of the new third-generation
      Kindle hardware, which Amazon has already started taking pre-orders
      for (the device ships at the end of the month). The new Kindle is
      sleeker, comes with a new high contrast display, and is much cheaper
      due to Amazon's aggressive price cutting of late, and the fact that
      you can now get it direct from the UK site. It costs £109 for the
      wi-fi variant, and £149 for the 3G flavour... Current best-sellers
      include The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest by Stieg Larsson,
      which costs £2.70. Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol can be had in e-book
      form for £3.41, although I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett
      is a bit more expensive at £8.54..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2g7hd78

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      06) CHISWICK FESTIVAL: WRITE YOUR WAY IN

      Sir Pterry will attend the Chiswick Book Festival next month as an
      honoured guest, but there's also a chance for young lit-crit
      wannabes to have their own presence there. Here be details of a
      special writing contest:

      "The Chiswick Book Festival has joined up with ChiswickW4.com to run
      a Young Writers' Competition. Called 'What I Read This Summer', the
      competition invites anyone under 18 to write a sparkling review of a
      contemporary (21st Century) book.

      Terms & Conditions

      1. The competition is open to anyone under 18 to write a sparkling
      review of a contemporary (21st Century) book.

      2. Entries must be between 300 and 500 words.

      3. There are two age categories - under-14 and under-18.

      4. The three best entries will receive prizes and will be published
      by ChiswickW4.com and the Chiswick Book Festival website.

      5. Entries close at 5pm on Friday September 17th 2010.

      6. The judges' decision is final and no entries can be returned.

      Please send your entry, marked 'What I Read This Summer', to the
      Festival Administrator, Dinah Garrett, either by email at
      ddinahg@... or to PO Box 31497, London W4 1QF. Please
      enclose your name, address, phone number and age and date of birth."

      To view the original announcement on the web, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/3xbkwv9

      ...AND THE BIG EVENT

      Friday September 17th 2010

      4.30 for 5pm Sir Terry Pratchett – I Shall Wear Midnight

      "The best-selling creator of Discworld introduces his new book, just
      out. It's the fourth featuring teen witch Tiffany Aching and her
      tiny, fightin', boozin' pictsie friends, the Wee Free Men. Books on
      sale for signing by Sir Terry Pratchett afterwards."

      St Michael & All Angels Church £3.

      Tickets via Advance Booking Form or in person from Waterstone's from
      September 4th.

      http://www.chiswickbookfestival.org/programme/index.php

      Also, tickets are now available to book for the Festival:

      http://www.chiswickbookfestival.org/tickets/advance_booking.php

      From September 4th, you will be able to buy tickets in person at
      Waterstone's in Chiswick High Road.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      07) GOING POSTAL NEWS

      7.1 GOING POSTAL "GOODIES" COMPETITION'

      It's a bit of a no-brainer for Discworld fans, so go for it!

      "Are you a huge Terry Pratchett fan? Did you enjoy the TV adaptation
      of his Going Postal novel? If so, then we've got the competition for
      you! To celebrate the DVD release of Going Postal on Monday, August
      23 we're giving one lucky fan the chance to win a huge bundle of
      exclusive goodies, including: a postman's costume from the show
      (pictured), a sheet of stamps signed by Terry Pratchett himself, a
      signed poster (yep, by Terry Pratchett) and a copy of the Sky show
      on Blu-Ray.

      "The two-part adaptation of the Discworld novel was commended for
      its attention to detail when it aired on Sky One this spring.
      Starring Richard Coyle, David Suchet and Claire Foy it illustrated
      the tale of Moist von Lipwig who is spared death, after a spate of
      crimes, by agreeing to become the new Postmaster. For a chance to
      win the Going Postal prize package simply send your answer to the
      question below to uktvcomps@.... Remember though, this
      competition is subject to our usual games rules.

      "Q. What's the name given to the system of telegraph towers
      competing with the post office in Going Postal?

      "As this is a particularly special giveaway, we're giving you longer
      than usual to get your answers in-–this competition closes on
      Wednesday, September 1 at midday. Winners will be contacted after
      this date when prizes are ready to be delivered."

      http://www.tv.com/story/23707.html

      7.2 GOING POSTAL DVD REVIEWS

      In The Independent:

      "Everyone appears to be having a blast in this good-looking and
      pleasingly silly Sky adaptation of one of Terry Pratchett's
      Discworld novels.... You don't have to know too much about Discworld
      (As Sachs once maintained, I know nothing) to enjoy this spirited
      and droll story..."

      http://tinyurl.com/27k3rdu

      In the California Chronicle:

      "A novel delivery... A must for Terry Pratchett fans is this latest
      TV adaptation from his imaginative books. Sky spared no expense in
      creating the alternative universe of Discworld or attracting a top-
      notch cast..."

      http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/yb/148906994

      On Metro.co.uk, who give it their "stamp of approval":

      "The antics make for a smart and truly joyous romp, with Terry
      Pratchett's fantastical world realised in all its mad, lavish
      glory..."

      http://tinyurl.com/26wem6k

      7.3 CLACKS ANGST!

      In a related item, a survey commissioned to mark the DVD release of
      Going Postal found that the Roundworld Clacks can bring grief to
      some:

      "Email gaffes at work have seen one in 20 people reprimanded or even
      fired, a survey has revealed. One in five admitted sending an
      inappropriate email in the heat of the moment while one in three
      (31%) said they have hit "reply all" instead of "reply" by
      mistake... Almost half (44%) said they do not send letters any
      more..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2uzerwb

      7.4 THE AUTHOR ON VIDEO

      Ostensibly an interview to promote the broadcast of Going Postal,
      but more a chance for Pterry to reminisce about the first time he
      watched television and how he met Death:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeH_YiX4iZg&NR=1

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) DISCWORLD FANS MAKE GREAT EXTRAS IN MY MOVIES, PTERRY SAYS

      In an ITN (UK) video interview, Pterry talks about why he prefers
      the Mob mob to Hollywood:

      "Sir Terry Pratchett is reassuring millions of Discworld fans he
      will never sell out to Hollywood. The acclaimed author insists he
      prefers smaller-scale adaptations of his hugely popular novels
      because he has more input in the way they are translated onto the
      screen..."

      http://itn.co.uk/fabe471304a27cb1f895ea746553e570.html

      (includes video)

      From the same interview, on YouTube:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biPYL4jRSm4

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      09) DEATH: A FAVOURITE AMONG HEROES?!

      A new poll of readers' favourite science fiction and fantasy heroes
      and villains includes some Discworld stalwarts:

      "The Doctor, currently played by Matt Smith, was awarded the title
      of favourite hero in the list compiled by SFX magazine, beating
      Firefly's Malcolm Reynolds into second place... Doctor Who villains
      the Daleks topped the favourite monsters poll, beating Angel
      character Lorne, the titular Aliens from the Alien films, Terry
      Pratchett's Discworld character Death and Gollum from The Lord of
      the Rings...."

      http://tv.sky.com/doctor-who-voted-greatest-sci-fi-hero

      The SFX Magazine poll was the culmination of a series of reader
      polls celebrating the magazine's 200th issue.

      For the record, Sam Vimes gained eighth place in Favourite Hero:

      http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/08/18/sfx-200-poll-results/10/

      Havelock Vetinari also ranked a respectable seventh in the Sages,
      Mentors and Boffins subcategory:

      http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/08/18/sfx-200-poll-results/6/

      Rincewind came tenth in Anti-Heroes, Accidental Good Guys and Dodgy
      Do-Gooders:

      http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/08/18/sfx-200-poll-results/8/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      10.1 GOING NOT GENTLY

      In the Irish Independent, a piece by Joe O'Shea about great talents
      -- including Stephen Hawking and Pterry -- fighting against
      progressive debilitating illnesses:

      "Terry Pratchett, the much-loved creator of the multi-million
      selling Discworld comic-fantasy novels (he has sold 45 million books
      to date), was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease in
      December 2007. Pratchett has since written three best-selling
      novels, talked extensively about his experiences with Alzheimer's
      and donated more than a million dollars for research into the
      disease. In a typically funny, very human speech to the Alzheimer's
      Research Trust Conference in the UK in late 2008, Pratchett spoke
      about his reaction to the diagnosis and his plans for the future.
      'Apparently I reacted to this situation in a reasonably typical way,
      with a sense of loss and abandonment with an incoherent, or perhaps
      I should say, violently coherent fury that made the Miltonic
      Lucifer's rage against Heaven seem a bit miffed by comparison,' he
      said. 'That fire still burns. I want to go on writing! Admittedly,
      that means I have to stay alive. You can't write books when you are
      dead, unless your name is L Ron Hubbard...'"

      http://tinyurl.com/32tq9kh

      10.2 NEW AWARENESS CAMPAIGN

      The Alzheimer's Society has launched a new campaign to encourage
      possible early sufferers to seek medical assistance.

      "The Worried About Your Memory? initiative will see leaflets and
      posters distributed by 10,000 GP surgeries in England, Wales and
      Northern Ireland to remind patients to visit their doctor if they
      are suffering from memory problems. According to the organisation,
      only one-third of people who are affected by dementia receive an
      official diagnosis, with many saying they do not want to visit their
      GP with a problem as mundane as memory loss.

      "Ruth Sutherland, interim chief executive of the Alzheimer's
      Society, commented: 'We want people to know that everyone gets a
      little forgetful from time to time, but when memory loss starts to
      interfere with daily life it is important to get it checked out as
      soon as possible.' She added confusion and mood changes are other
      common symptoms of dementia and pointed out that the sooner people
      seek advice from their GP, the sooner they can receive treatment..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2fkol9b

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS: NEW PTERRY BOOKMARKS AND PINS

      PJSM Prints has added some lovely new leather bookmarks to their
      selection on offer. Priced at £4.00 each, both are good quality tan
      leather; one features Pterry's signature embossed in gold, and the
      other features the UU crest and the words "Ex Libris". We had
      already bought a number of "I Ate'nt Read" ones from the same series
      for gifts and for personal use, so I can recommend these highly!

      There is also a wide selection of full-colour 165mm X 40mm bookmarks
      featuring scenes from Paul Kidby's Discworld art, priced at £1.75
      each (set of seven for £10.95).

      http://www.paulkidby.com/bookmarks/index.html

      On the collectable pin badges front, there are still a few limited
      edition Last Hero ones available, priced at £19.99 each. This is an
      exceptionally good-looking pin badge!

      http://www.paulkidby.com/pins/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) ACTION REPLAY: PTERRY ON YOUTUBE

      From 2008, an extended interview in which Sir Pterry is questioned
      by Sir David on Frost Over the World. They discuss Pterry's ways of
      dealing with his PCA, the creative process, and what it's like to be
      a Baby Boomer approaching retirement age:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc94kG5Sw1w

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) OYCSMtM NOW MORE WIDELY AVAILABLE

      A feature on Only You Can Save Mankind: the Musical's composer
      Leighton James House, whose CD of songs from the musical has just
      been released at last:

      "Ten per cent of the profit from the album is being donated to the
      Alzheimer's Research Trust. Leighton added: 'I don't know anyone who
      hasn't been affected by dementia in some way or another in their
      life. When Terry decided to "come out" as having early onset
      Alzheimer's it was a huge shock to millions of people around the
      world.' Only You Can Save Mankind is now available on CD from
      Waterstones and online at www.ifnotyouthenwho.com or as a digital
      download from iTunes."

      http://tinyurl.com/32frf53

      14) TRUCKERS: ON AGAIN...?

      It seems that Dreamworks are going ahead after all. However, info at
      Collider.com claims that "Neither Truckers or Boo U currently has a
      release date."

      http://tinyurl.com/34hwjrx