WOSSNAME -- August 2010 -- Part 1 of 5

  • granny_tude
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2010
      AUGUST 2010 (Volume 13, Issue 8)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      03) UPDATE FROM PJSM
      04) THE "MIDNIGHT" SPECIAL: NEWS AND REVIEWS

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, ODDS AND SODS

      05) I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT FOR KINDLE
      06) CHISWICK FESTIVAL: WRITE YOUR WAY IN
      07) GOING POSTAL NEWS
      08) DISCWORLD FANS MAKE GREAT EXTRAS IN MY MOVIES, PTERRY SAYS
      09) DEATH: A FAVOURITE AMONG HEROES
      10) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      11) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
      12) ACTION REPLAY: PTERRY ON YOUTUBE
      13) OYCSMtM NOW MORE WIDELY AVAILABLE
      14) TRUCKERS: ON AGAIN...?

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE...

      15) CONVENTION AND MEET NEWS
      16) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      17) WHAT THE VINTNERS...UM, READ
      18) ...AND WHAT THE LITERARY SNOBS *SHOULD* READ
      19) BLOG REVIEWS OF DISCWORLD BOOKS
      20) ORANGUTAN MIMES
      21) IMAGE OF THE MONTH
      22) IN JOURNALISM: PRATCHETT REFERENCES FOR THE WIN

      ====Part 4 -- ODDS, SODS AND HOROSCOPE

      23) BE YOUR OWN SMALL GOD
      24) ABP NEWSROUND
      25) AROUND THE BU CAMPUS
      26) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE, MAR > SEP

      ====Part 5 -- HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED, AND CLOSE

      27) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE, SEP > MAR

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "In our house, TV is something you watch when you haven't got
      anything else to do."

      -- Pterry, interviewed on Sky TV

      "At the same time as I began exploring the wonderful Kingdom of
      Dementia, which is next door to the Kingdom of Mania, I was also
      experiencing the slightly more realistic experience of being a 59
      -year-old who finds they have early onset Alzheimer's... And so now
      I'm a game for real."

      -- Pterry again, quoted in India's Express Buzz

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) A VERY SHORT LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      The DVDs of Going Postal are out. Buy one! I'm certainly going to.

      I Shall Wear Midnight is coming out very, very soon. It's a
      wonderful book (see my review, below). Buy one! I'm certainly going
      to.

      Oodles of interesting and exciting things in this month's issue.
      Enjoy!

      There, that was easy, wasn't it? On with the show...

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) UPDATE FROM PJSM

      If you're in or near London, or expecting to be there on the first
      day -- and night! -- of September, keep an eye on the PJSM website
      for the next couple of days. The event, as featured in this month's
      WOSSNAME extra, is:

      Random House Children's Books and Waterstone's are delighted to
      announce that Sir Terry Pratchett's new Discworld Novel will be
      launched at Waterstone's Piccadilly in London at midnight on 1st
      September. For tickets to the launch, which will include a talk
      between Sir Terry Pratchett and his friend the actor Tony Robinson,
      followed by Sir Terry's only bookshop signing for SHALL WEAR
      MIDNIGHT please contact Waterstone's on 020 7851 2419 (lines are
      open Monday-Friday 9am to 5pm only) or visit
      www.waterstones.com/events.

      "Tickets -- the event is limited to 300 ticket holders. Tickets cost
      £9.50 each and will include a copy of I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT. Only
      ticket holders will be able to gain access to the store that
      evening. The store will shut earlier in the evening, and then reopen
      for this event. Ticket holders to arrive no earlier than 10.30pm.

      Signing -- We are limiting the signing to one copy of I SHALL WEAR
      MIDNIGHT per person, there will be no dedications at all, and no
      other books will be signed.

      Please contact Waterstone's directly with any queries you may have
      regarding the signing.

      Or...

      Signed copes can be bought HERE (with a chance to win a UK bound
      proof).

      Or...

      Check back shortly as we are going to be giving you a chance to win
      a pair of tickets to the signing!

      *

      Also, the DVD and Blu-ray versions of Going Postal are available to
      purchase from the site.

      The single disc DVD (£19.99) features an intro from Pterry.

      The two-disc edition (£24.99) features deleted scenes, a blooper
      reel, cast interviews, an interview with Pterry, an image gallery,
      production stills, and director audio commentary.

      The Blu-ray edition (also £24.99) includes the same features as the
      two-disc DVD set, plus "director picture-in-picture audio
      commentary".

      All versions are signed by Terry Pratchett.

      ***

      Remember, the deadline for submissions for the Terry Pratchett Prize
      (ANYWHERE BUT HERE, ANYWHEN BUT NOW) is 31 December 2010, and a
      shortlist of six entries will be announced by 31 March 2011. The
      calendar is ticking, people! As it were.

      Thanks to www.pjsmprints.com for the info. Originally posted on the
      web at:

      http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html

      -- go there for more details, and for oodles of collectable goodies!
      [And no, they're not paying me to say that -- Ed.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) THE "MIDNIGHT" SPECIAL: NEWS AND REVIEWS

      .1 BLURBS

      The official HarperCollins blurb:

      "It starts with whispers. Then someone picks up a stone. Finally,
      the fires begin. When people turn on witches, the innocents
      suffer...

      "Tiffany Aching has spent years studying with senior witches, and
      now she is on her own. As the witch of the Chalk, she performs the
      bits of witchcraft that aren't sparkly, aren't fun, don't involve
      any kind of wand, and that people seldom ever hear about: She does
      the unglamorous work of caring for the needy.

      "But someone -- or something -- is igniting fear, inculcating dark
      thoughts and angry murmurs against witches. Aided by her tiny blue
      allies, the Wee Free Men, Tiffany must find the source of this
      unrest and defeat the evil at its root -- before it takes her life.
      Because if Tiffany falls, the whole Chalk falls with her.

      "Chilling drama combines with laugh-out-loud humor and searing
      insight as beloved and bestselling author Terry Pratchett tells the
      high-stakes story of a young witch who stands in the gap between
      good and evil."

      http://tinyurl.com/3986wtf

      The Bookseller blurb:

      "I Shall Wear Midnight is to be the final novel in Pratchett's
      Tiffany Aching series for younger readers and is being described as
      'a bridge between Terry's younger books and the adult world of
      Discworld.' The launch event will begin at 11pm with a talk between
      Pratchett and close friend actor Tony Robinson, followed by the
      author's only bookshop signing for the title.

      "I Shall Wear Midnight, published by Doubleday Children's, brings
      the young witch Tiffany to the age of 15. Pratchett said it was 'the
      last book in which Tiffany Aching could still be considered a
      children's character,' adding that he considered it to be 'young
      adult literature with the bonus that this book doesn't have any more
      bloody vampires in it'..."

      http://www.thebookseller.com/news/125873-page.html

      .2 REVIEWS OF I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT

      I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT: TIED-UP ENDS, HAPPY CONTINUINGS AND A WITCH
      FOR ALL SEASONS

      By Annie Mac

      Times change. People forget. And sometimes, they remember...

      Tiffany Aching is a new kind of witch, forged by the frying pan and
      finished by the fire. Still very much "Weatherwax: the Next
      Generation", she's now coming into her own. I Shall Wear Midnight,
      fourth and final instalment in the Tiffany Aching series, brings her
      story to an end -- or more properly, leaves her at the right point
      in her long journey from Maiden to... well, who knows?

      As the story opens, she is nearing her sixteenth birthday and is now
      the official witch of the Chalk: "the witch", as she reminds herself
      and as people now realise. The old Baron is dying despite all her
      welcome ministrations, Roland has been sent off to be educated in
      the ways of nobbery, and something dark and dangerous is abroad in
      the land. People -- and things -- are not what they seem. It seems
      Tiffany didn't quite pay the full price for her mistakes in the
      matter of the Wintersmith: as it turns out, her actions had a
      further unexpected and deadly result that is finally coming back to
      haunt her, and Tiffany will have to leave her beloved Chalk yet
      again and learn new ways of dealing with old evil in order to save
      the day.

      I Shall Wear Midnight is about remembering who you really are,
      finding out where you truly belong, and learning who your peer group
      actually is... and who you can trust as your true friends. Oh, and
      when to trust your own heart above all. In this tale of the Chalk
      and beyond, you'll meet old characters in new settings, new
      characters who aren't what they seem, and some not quite new and old
      characters who may surprise you. It's beautifully written as always,
      and the famed Pratchett humour pops up when you least expect it.

      Nearly sixteen is still quite young by modern Roundworld standards,
      but Tiffany's responsibilities are very much those of an adult. She
      has to "speak for them as has no voices". She has to guard the edges
      and the spaces in between. To her fall the duties of helping new
      life into the world and ushering out lives at their end; she has to
      do the dirty jobs and watch things no gentler soul should ever have
      to see. She has to watch over the Chalk, to put the needs of other
      above her own -- and to learn when ignoring her own needs is not the
      wisest choice. Tiffany may be a new kind of witch, but never forget
      that she's also an old kind; she has been learning the traditional
      witching ways from traditional witches, and now must integrate old
      knowledge with her new talents and outlook in the course of her
      personal rite of passage.

      All of Pratchett's main characters tend to evolve. Sam Vimes, once a
      mere embittered copper, has gradually gained deeper and broader
      insight and learned to re-think some of his prejudices. Granny
      Weatherwax has come to terms with parts of her personality she would
      once rather not have admitted. Even Lord Vetinari seems to have
      grown more forgiving and willing to relax sometimes to a certain
      extent. And so it is with Tiffany Aching and her friends and family.
      Her father, in particular, has grown more sure of his role in Chalk
      society and of his relationship with the old -- and new -- Baron. Mr
      Aching would never try to fill the late Sarah Aching's turf-scuffed
      shoes, but he has come to accept that he has a part to play that is
      every bit as vital in its way as his daughter's role. The Chalk
      needs its witch, but it also needs the wisdom of elders.

      Speaking of the wisdom of elders, another recurring thread in I
      Shall Wear Midnight is that the master can still learn, and the
      apprentice can teach. This is shown in the exchanges between Tiffany
      and the Lancre witches (what, you didn't expect them to be there?),
      between Tiffany and the redoubtable Mrs Proust, between Tiffany and
      the kelda, even between Tiffany and -- ah well, I can't reveal
      *that* one.

      (Oh, and speaking of characters evolving, the Feegles of the Chalk
      would seem to be evolving from hunter-gatherers -- all right,
      hunter-pilferers -- to... um, you'll have to read I Shall Wear Midnight
      to find out!)

      I Shall Wear Midnight is full of surprises. A lowly castle guard can
      possess unexpected hidden depths; a powerful witch who is exactly
      what she seems to be might also be far more, and far other, than
      that; a foolish, incompetent person can possess real power; an
      intolerant monster might hide an inner nervous social climber;
      blondes aren't always dumb; people who appear to be "made for each
      other" might well actually be made for someone else.

      Another wonderful surprise is the return of someone oddly familiar.
      As always with WOSSNAME's pre-publication reviews, I won't spoiler
      you any more than the blurbs already have done, so let's just say
      that I Shall Wear Midnight involves some -- in the words of another
      very famous ~cough~ fantasy series -- wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey
      stuff. And fine wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff it is!

      I Shall Wear Midnight is a lovely book, and yes, I cried at the end.
      If this is all the Tiffany Aching we get, Pratchett is certainly
      leaving us in style! Highly recommended.

      I Shall Wear Midnight
      Released 2nd September (UK), 28th September (USA)

      KIRKUS REVIEW

      A glowing review from the often snobbish and humourless Kirkus:

      "It can't be easy being Terry Pratchett, either, an author known
      foremost, perhaps, for his screamingly funny Discworld novels, of
      which this is the latest. Beneath everything he writes, however,
      even as he has readers howling helplessly with laughter, is a
      fierce, palpable love for his fellow human beings, however flawed
      they may be. A love that causes Tiffany over and over to square her
      shoulders beneath her pointy black hat and do what's needful..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2ahsdu2