WOSSNAME -- July 2010 -- Part 1 of 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2010
      JULY 2010 (Volume 13, Issue 7)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      01) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      03) UPDATE FROM THE MASTER
      04) PTERRY WINS THE 2010 BRIT AWARD FOR NATION
      05) THE DISCWORLD CUP: THE WINNER
      06) GOING POSTAL DVD RELEASE

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, ODDS AND SODS

      07) PTERRY TO HEADLINE AT CHISWICK FESTIVAL
      08) PRATCHETT PRIZE: THE FINE PRINT
      09) GOING POSTAL: THE SECRET DIARIES
      10) HOW TO ANNOTATE ANGELS...AND DEMONS
      11) REVIEW: UNSEEN ACADEMICALS
      12) CONVENTION NEWS
      13) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      14) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE...

      15) DISCWORLD AS POLITICAL COMMENTARY
      16) SUMMERTIME READING: PICK UP A PRATCHETT
      17) NEITHER RAIN NOR SNOW NOR...MOUNTAINS?
      18) IN PRAISE OF LIBRARIES...
      19) ...AND BOOKSHOPS
      20) POTENT VOYAGER: STILL HEADING FOR ORBIT
      21) WORDS TO LIVE BY
      22) DISCWORLD BOOKS: GOOD ENOUGH FOR ROYLE-TY
      23) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETINGS NEWS
      24) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      25) REVIEW: PTERRY'S ISSUE OF SFX MAGAZINE

      ====Part 4 -- WEIRD ALICE AND HOROSCOPE

      26) WEIRD ALICE PRESENTS
      27) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE MAR > SEP

      ====Part 5 -- HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED, AND CLOSE

      28) HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED SEP > MAR

      01) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "I get lots of enquiries about my health, and frankly my health is
      really all about my ability to write. If I'm writing I'm happy and
      that's as good as being healthy in my book."

      -- Pterry in SFX Magazine, June 2010

      So. Pterry didn't win this year's Carnegie for Nation, but he did
      scoop the first Brit Award for it. Congratulations! Frankly, I think
      he should have won both, but I'm not on the committee for either --
      still, Nation is likely to win the best prize of all, in that it
      will surely still be read and loved for generations to come, when
      other popular authors of the 21st century are long forgotten.

      In other news, the Discworld Cup has been won (hint: the winner was
      one of the Vimes novels), and Discworld fans in scattered parts are
      gearing up for DWcon 2010 and Wadfest, both of which take place next
      month.

      I'd like to recommend a book, O Readers, that isn't by Terry
      Pratchett for once: At Home, Bill Bryson's latest. It's a history of
      the houses we live in, but being a Bryson book, it's also a history
      of, well, all manner of strange and curious things, always
      fascinating and sometimes appalling (we lot really did take our time
      about learning things like basic hygiene in the home...). Anyway,
      Bryson is also on the Transworld roster, so I don't feel guilty
      about promoting the book:

      http://www.booksattransworld.co.uk/billbryson/books_athome.html

      And now, back to the Pterryverse. On with the show! Enjoy.

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) UPDATE FROM THE MASTER

      July 1st 2010

      FROM MIDNIGHT TO SKIP DIVING

      Folks,

      I Shall Wear Midnight is totally finished; we spent the better part
      of three days last week doing the final proof-read and let me tell
      you that the only way to proof read a manuscript with maximum
      accuracy is to listen to it read aloud. Well, it is for me at least.
      When it's a simple matter of reading, the brain has a tendency to
      helpfully fill in the words that are not actually there. It's also
      extremely good for picking up repetitions. And it's also extremely
      good for picking up repetitions..

      Want an uncorrected bound proof of I Shall Wear Midnight??! Well,
      we've listed one on eBay with all proceeds going to benefit one of
      Terry's local charities. Click HERE[1] to view the listing.

      So here we are basking in the sunlit uplands and find ourselves
      already some 20,000 words into the next adult Discworld book, based
      largely around Vimes, with the working title Snuff. A word that
      has, as you probably know, at least two meanings. Remember, you
      read it here first!

      I'm sure that most of you will have heard of the Long Earth, three
      pieces of writing I did around the time of Wyrd Sisters but put on
      one side because the Discworld suddenly became so successful. Who
      knows? In another trouser leg of time I might have written it, sold
      it successfully and become a science fiction writer instead of a
      fantasy one. In which case I would have been, I suspect, slightly
      poorer but would have at least been a BSFA Guest of Honour :)

      I will be working on this shortly with Steve Baxter, whose hard
      science fiction I admire greatly. It needs two people to do this
      book -- in fact it needs a committee, given that the central thesis
      is 'more worlds to conquer than there are numbers'. Of course, as it
      turns out, there is just a little snag.

      Bought your Last Hero pin yet? Show your final respects for the
      Silver Horde and get yours HERE[2].

      I am sure you have all seen the press release (copied below)[3]
      regarding the 'Anywhere but Here, Anywhen But Now' award.
      However, can I please reiterate that you shouldn't contact us
      directly about it as I will not get involved in any way until the
      end of the year. Best of luck even so.

      The Carnegie Award; well, it's come and gone and, as I forecast,
      Nation did not win, but Neil Gaiman was gracious enough to give me a
      heap of praise in his acceptance speech for The Graveyard Book.

      I have to tell you, I've learned a lot about awards and how they
      work during my career and am still baffled. Why did The Amazing
      Maurice win the Carnegie instead of Johnny and the Dead? I was
      astonished when it won and so was my editor; I remember the
      amazement in her voice when she phoned to tell me. I have now taken
      the view now that getting on to a short list is usually the trick.
      This at least proves that you have written a book that is
      potentially winning material. After that, all bets are off. For
      good or ill it's then all down to the people judging this time,
      the current fashions, the people you're up against and, for all I
      know, the current position of the planet Jupiter.

      Ladies and gentlemen, we can announce the auspicious results of a
      raid on Mob Films lock-up recently, which revealed a veritable
      treasure trove of props and costumes, largely from Going Postal but
      with a few from the Colour of Magic and Hogfather. I'm aware that
      there are a number of cons taking place around the world, and
      frankly some of the props are heavy; for example we have the deadly
      coffin from the Colour of Magic for which the purchaser will need to
      bring their own pall bearers. A lovely piece though.

      We also have the omniscope and stand that features in Going Postal
      that breaks down into two smaller pieces. It's big, wonderful and
      heavy. We have the clacks used by Adorabelle Dearheart; magnificent,
      but bulky -- though you should be able to be take it away in a car
      if you leave the kids behind.

      In the heavy but not big category we have a number, probably a
      dozen, of heavy metal clacks levers. They're individually engraved
      as the property of the clacks company and would be just like the
      real thing if the real thing was real.

      There's also a few costumes; Angua's helmet, cloak and leather
      straps. Two clacks-men outfits, both with caps but one missing
      trousers... don't ask.

      However, still in my trembling hand, we have the very shiny patent
      leather boots as worn by Adorabelle. They have stiletto heels, but
      we can't tell you how high until we get a bigger ladder. They are
      slightly worn, after all they've been in a movie, but we expect
      vigorous bidding on this item -- especially from me!

      This might be the time to add that all the items are, well, props
      and we have unfortunately been unable to get the omniscope to work
      properly. Generally speaking everything looks pretty serviceable to
      us, and indeed massively designed in some cases, but they are
      nevertheless items which were destined to have a short life in
      front of the camera. Adorabelle's boots however are, I'm assured,
      the very best that Soho could provide.

      We must warn you that not all of the items will be auctioned at the
      upcoming UK convention. There are quite a number of other Discworld
      conventions known to us that will be taking place in the next year
      or so, and it would be nice if there was at least one decent item
      that could be auctioned off at every one. Common sense tells us that
      some of the props are just way too heavy to go transatlantic and
      also that, since one purpose of this exercise is to raise money for
      charity, the UK convention is likely to be where the largest amount
      can be raised. At the very minimum, however, I think we could make
      certain that every con currently known to be happening will get
      something. We know where they are!

      Stop Press! The Mob, in their boundless generosity, will be
      providing us with enough small props to allow every registered
      attendee at the UK convention to have one. Well, yes, they might
      well be pins!

      Finally, we're currently all in shock here because of the sudden
      death of Ken Roberts, our friend and shepherd who kept his flock of
      sheep in my fields. Apparently he died instantly on Saturday, with
      his dog sitting next to him. While that is a way that we would
      probably all like to go, I suspect that we would have liked to have
      got at least into our sixties first, unlike Ken. News like this puts
      the world into perspective...

      All the best.

      (signed) Terry Pratchett

      To read the original message online, with the added bonus of a
      smorgasbord of iconographs, go to PJSM Prints:

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/news/index.html

      And for the footnotes:

      [1] To bid for an uncorrected proof of I Shall Wear Midnight:
      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200497262788

      [2] To buy a Last Hero pin badge:
      http://www.pjsmprints.com/pins/index.html

      [3] You'll find it on the online page

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) PTERRY WINS THE 2010 BRIT AWARD FOR "NATION"

      The Brit Writers' Awards, "an exciting initiative to encourage and
      inspire unpublished writers of all ages", are the project of a group
      of members of the publishing, entertainment and service industries
      who believe in giving a chance to new, unpublished British or UK-
      resident writers. The BWA even has the support of No. 10! Up and
      running since 2009, the inaugural Brit Awards collected over twenty
      thousand submissions for various categories in the 2010 Brit Awards,
      and chose nine finalists in categories including poetry,
      songwriting, short stories, novels, non-fiction and stories for
      children. Additionally, one special category is reserved for
      published writers, and this year -- in the face of stiff competition
      -- the Brit Award for Published Writer of the Year was given to a
      writer we know well:

      "Well-loved British novelist Sir Terry Pratchett was named Published
      Writer of the Year for his new book Nation, in the only category for
      established authors. He gave an inspiring speech on the difficulties
      of getting published, offering his support and well wishes to all
      the up-and-coming new or young writers the UK has to offer..."

      http://www.britwriters.co.uk/latest_news.html
      http://www.britwriters.co.uk/about_us.html

      A lovely photo of Sir Pterry at the awards ceremony, resplendent in
      his velvet smoking jacket, and be found at:

      http://www.britwriters.co.uk/uploads/images/SirTerryPratchett.jpg

      There was also a special award for ten-year-old Adam Bojelian, who
      has severe cerebral palsy and blinks to choose words and syllables
      for his poems. Adam reached the semi-finals without the judges being
      aware of his disabilities. Go Adam!

      So...how about you, O Readers? The Brit Awards carry a £10,000
      prize for the overall winner, plus undreamt-of opportunities for
      other category winners, so if you -- or someone you know -- might
      qualify to enter next year's competition (open to all British
      citizens worldwide and to people aged five years and over who are
      resident in the UK), why not have a go? The BWA will shortly be
      accepting entries for the 2011 Awards. The categories are as
      follows:

      Adult:
      Poetry (collection of five entries)
      Short stories (minimum 1,000 and maximum 5,000 words)
      Novels
      Non-fiction
      Stories for children
      Songwriting
      Stage and screen plays (new category for 2011)

      Young people (aged 16 and under):
      Poetry (collection of three entries)
      Short stories (maximum 3,000 words)
      Songwriting

      These categories are open to Key Stage 1 (5-7 years), Key Stage 2
      (7-11 years) and Key Stages 3 and 4 (11-16 years) age groups.

      For more about the competition and how to enter, go to:
      http://www.britwriters.co.uk/enter_work.htm
      http://www.britwriters.co.uk/rules.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) THE DISCWORLD CUP: THE WINNER

      After a lively flurry of voting, the Discworld Cup final came down
      to Men at Arms versus Thud! And the winner is... cue drum roll
      (actually, a whirring clicker as wielded by The Author)... THUD!!!

      To see Pterry announcing the winner, whilst wearing a charming
      helmet (but no axe), go to:

      http://www.discworldcup.co.uk/

      06) GOING POSTAL DVD RELEASE

      Going Postal will be released on 23rd August on DVD (single disc
      and two-disc versions) and Blu-Ray and can be pre-ordered for
      £11.99 from Amazon/Amazon.co.uk:

      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003IPC3JU/87

      ...or from PJSM Prints, with the bonus of each DVD being signed by
      Pterry. Available from the end of July (prices not listed yet):

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/dvd/index.html

      If you did not get all parts, write: interact@...