WOSSNAME -- July 2010 -- Part 2 of 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25 10:54 PM
      WOSSNAME --JULY 2010 -- PART 2 OF 5 (continued)

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, ODDS AND SODS

      07) PTERRY TO HEADLINE AT CHISWICK FESTIVAL
      08) PRATCHETT PRIZE: THE FINE PRINT
      09) GOING POSTAL: THE SECRET DIARIES
      10) HOW TO ANNOTATE ANGELS...AND DEMONS
      11) REVIEW: UNSEEN ACADEMICALS
      12) CONVENTION NEWS
      13) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      14) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS

      07) PRATCHETT TO HEADLINE AT CHISWICK FESTIVAL

      Terry Pratchett has been confirmed as a special guest at the second
      Chiswick Book Festival.

      The 2009 festival was a sold-out success. The 2010 festival will run
      from 17th to 19th September:

      "Festival director Torin Douglas said: 'We were delighted by the
      response to the first Chiswick Book Festival last year, and 2010's
      event looks just as exciting. Chiswick is home to numerous authors
      and publishers and has a strong literary heritage. It's great that
      it is now re-establishing itself as a place where people who love
      books can celebrate the best in literature -- while helping support
      reading and literacy.' The festival will open on the Friday night
      with a children's event with acclaimed Discworld author Pratchett,
      followed by festival drinks and an evening talk with historian and
      broadcaster Michael Wood."

      http://www.thebookseller.com/news/123679-page.html

      Also in attendance: Senior Postman Groat, better known as Andrew
      Sachs:

      "Andrew Sachs will be joined by fellow audiobook stars Adjoa Andoh,
      Michael Brandon and Kerry Shale, and best-selling author and
      screenwriter David Nicholls, as they discuss developing literature
      into audio and film, and announce the winner of The Best Audiobooks
      of the Year 2009. The event will be chaired by The Guardian's
      Alison Flood on Saturday 26th September at 4.30pm..."

      http://tinyurl.com/293q6jh

      About the Chiswick Book Festival:

      "Plans for a Chiswick festival devoted to books were first drawn up
      more than two years ago - and others saw the potential too! In 2007,
      Ealing Council announced plans to hold their own Literary Festival
      here – in tents on the green opposite Turnham Green tube station.
      We thought two book festivals here, both in September, would have
      been too much of a good thing, so we joined forces. The Ealing
      Literary Festival attracted writers such as Andrew Motion, Lynne
      Reid Banks, Nicholas Parsons, Richard Briers and Tom Holland and
      we've supported it for the past two years, providing speakers and
      hosting a drinks party for writers and readers in St Michael's
      Parish Hall..."

      http://www.chiswickbookfestival.org/programme/why_chiswick.php

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) PRATCHETT PRIZE: THE FINE PRINT

      Oops! When WOSSNAME reported on the Pratchett Fiction Prize last
      month, a certain Editor forgot to include a link to the terms and
      conditions [At least I think I did -- Ed.] So here it is:

      http://www.terrypratchett.co.uk/news/termsandconditions.html

      Remember, Transworld will offer the winning author a publishing
      contract with a £20,000 advance. The closing date for entering is
      31st December 2010, so get cracking!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      09) GOING POSTAL: THE SECRET DIARIES

      Bigger than a blooper reel! More riveting than a video interview!
      Yes folks, it's Moist von Lipwig, Mr Pump, Stanley and Junior
      Postman Groat in an all-singing, all-dancing rendition of Elvis
      Presley's Return to Sender! Not a fanvid, but an actual film of the
      actual cast members in actual character! At a YouTube near you!

      (Watch for some awesome jetes at around 1:49)

      http://tinyurl.com/35j6b6q

      Also, some fun facts about the making of Going Postal, from an
      interview with Pterry in The Telegraph:

      "One of the trickiest scenes in Going Postal, for instance, has
      Lipwig half-drowned in a ghostly torrent of letters. Amazingly,
      little of this was achieved with computer graphics (CGI). Mostly it
      was a sheet smothered in post, held up by props men.

      'We called it the Mail Pie,' Coyle reveals later. 'It was about the
      size of a room, and there was a hole in the middle to sit in while
      people threw things at me.' Not that this should diminish the scale
      of the task. Some two million envelopes were purchased for the Post
      Office scenes; a team of artists spent weeks stamping them
      individually with real Discworld addresses..."

      http://tinyurl.com/27jbcbk

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) HOW TO ANNOTATE ANGELS...AND DEMONS

      It's the -- well, *an* -- Annotated Pratchett File as you've never
      seen it before!

      The tireless, talented and rather lovely Priya Govender aka
      totalpratt decided to annotate the entirety of Good Omens on the
      website The Book Drum (for more about The Book Drum, read on). But
      these are no dry, text-only annotations; what we have here is a
      fascinating multimedia illustration of the book's various
      references, characters and mythologies, with photographs, art
      images, maps, song and lyrics links; film, television and DVD links,
      Wikipedia links, and a wealth of YouTube links (including, of
      course, Bohemian Rhapsody).

      The Book Drum's Good Omens start-page offers a column of clickable
      buttons on the right side, including Bookmarks (click to begin the
      annotations), Summary, Setting, Glossary, Author, and Review. Even
      if you know every historical, pop-culture, literary and religious
      reference in the story, you should find this trip through Good Omens
      entertaining. Highly recommended!

      http://tinyurl.com/2w6986d

      More about The Book Drum:

      "At Book Drum, we believe even the most wonderful books can be
      enhanced through selective use of the images, sounds, video and
      information available on the Web. Have a look at our Profiles to get
      an idea of the potential... Book Drum's mission is to bring great
      books to life by going beyond the page. As a first step, we're
      building Profiles for more than 500 classic fiction and non-fiction
      titles. If you'd like to help with these or any other favourites,
      contribute a Profile. We also welcome profiles from authors that
      supplement their own books..."

      http://www.bookdrum.com/about-us.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) REVIEW: UNSEEN ACADEMICALS

      In Den of Geek, a review by Anthony Harvison:

      "Though the plot is as near to a game of two halves as you can get
      on the written page - the action leading up to the big match and the
      domestic soap of below stairs - Unseen Academicals is much deeper
      than that. It is a delightfully satirical swipe at real life issues
      such as football violence, racism and self-limitation that uses
      football as a medium to illuminate how it takes all sorts to make a
      Discworld. Pratchett is unrivalled in his flights of comic fancy and
      has a power of description to match, with choice phrases setting the
      scene vividly in an oddball fashion no other writer could get away
      with.

      "Another strength is in its characterisation. The main players are
      well realised and over the course of the 540 pages the reader comes
      to really care for them, having seen what makes them tick fully
      exposed and explored..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2f6dfxv

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) CONVENTION NEWS

      12.1 DWCON 2010 NEWS

      The 2010 Discworld Convention will take place from 27th-30th
      August at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel.

      http://www.dwcon.org/

      But before that...

      Hi all,

      I'd like to invite everyone to a DwCon 2010 pre-convention
      afpmeet to be held on Wednesday 25 August in Delft, The
      Netherlands.

      If you are new to afpmeets[*] or DwCons or both, this will be an
      excellent opportunity to meet some of the NL contingent in
      advance (or, depending on how few people show up, at least meet
      *me* in advance :-) ). People not actually going to DWCon can of
      course still come along to wave the rest of us/me bye bye.

      The plan is to meet at the Beestenmarkt from 18:00h onwards, go
      grab a bite to eat around seven-ish, and then maybe (just maybe
      :-)) get something to drink afterwards.

      <http://goo.gl/maps/BDXJ>

      There is plenty of crash-space available, so if you bring a
      sleeping bag it is no problem to stay the night in Delft and
      continue onwards to Schiphol the next day. Both Beestenmarkt and
      crash space are within easy walking distance of the Delft railway
      station.

      Note that the convention officially begins on Friday, but that
      some of us (well, again: me) are already leaving for Birmingham
      on Thursday morning -- hence holding the meet on Wednesday
      evening.

      Please drop me a note if you plan to be there, and especially let
      me know if you need crash space.

      See you soon,

      - --
      Leo Breebaart <leo@...>

      [*] afpmeets: real world get-togethers originally involving
      people who knew each other from the Usenet newsgroup
      alt.fan.pratchett, or afp for short. The last time an afpmeet (at
      least an NL one) was attended by more than one person actually
      still participating in the afp forum was probably around 2002 or
      so. But the terminology remains.

      12.2 WADFEST NEWS

      Next month is Wadfest time! Wadfest 2010 will take place place from
      20th-22nd August 2010 at Trentfield Farm, Nottinghamshire, England.

      For news and updates:
      http://www.citywatch.info/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=5

      For descriptions of what to expect:
      http://www.wadfest.co.uk/page4.html

      http://www.wadfest.co.uk/

      12.3 AUSDWCON NEWS

      NULLAS ANXIETAS: Nanny Ogg needs a bath!

      Fourecksian newspaper The Penrith Star has a nice feature about the
      third Aussie Discworld Convention, coming in April 2011:

      "In the lead-up to the three-day event one of the organisers, Tania
      Lewis of Emu Heights, is seeking assistance from Earthly Star
      readers who may be in possession of an old tin bath tub and a six-
      string banjo they may be able to donate to complete her costume for
      character Nanny Ogg. 'Once a year she has a bath,' Mrs Lewis
      explains. As the story goes, Nanny Ogg sits in her old tin bath
      singing raucously while playing the banjo. 'She's a bit rude, she's
      a bit raunchy,' Mrs Lewis said. 'I suppose I'm a bit cheeky as
      well.' If Mrs Lewis is successful in getting her bath and banjo, she
      and folk singer Martin Pearson will perform a duet at the
      convention...

      "The Nullus Anxietas III convention which translates to 'no worries'
      will include 92 different events over the three days including a
      gala maskerade for all those in costume. The committee expects at
      least 200 guests, or more than 400 if Discworld's creator is able to
      attend..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2d7vewp

      Can you help Nanny Ogg assemble her costume? If so, email:
      gseymour@....

      12.4 NADWCON NEWS

      Over a year to go to the second North American Discworld Convention,
      but it's never too early to register! The current adult price for
      the full weekend is $75.00 for ages 12 and over. This rate will be
      in effect until 1st December 2010.

      Membership is limited to the first thousand people to register.
      Memberships are non-refundable but are transferable. To transfer a
      membership, or if you have any questions about registration, contact
      reg@...

      http://nadwcon.org/html/registration.html

      13.1 REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN PORTSMOUTH

      The Really Necessary Travelling Actors are presenting their
      production of Wyrd Sisters this week.

      Venue: New Theatre Royal Portsmouth
      When: Tuesday 27 July to Saturday 31 July 2010.
      Time: Curtain 19:30
      Tickets: All seats 11 GBP (Concessions 9 GBP)
      Box Office 02392 649000

      13.2 REVIEW: AMAZING MAURICE IN BROMSGROVE

      A review of The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, recently
      performed by schoolchildren at Catshill Middle School, in the
      Bromsgrove Advertiser:

      "The children performed beautifully with maximum effort and
      enthusiasm – congratulations to all involved..."

      http://tinyurl.com/29et28z

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS

      14.1 THE LAST HERO 1.5 INCH PIN BADGE

      "This month's pin honours the last of those true Discworld heroes...
      Cohen the Barbarian. He and the Silver Horde have been up against
      dragon, gods and even DEATH in little more than a surgical support
      loin cloth and a cloak of righteous indignation towards the world.
      Wear this pin with pride for it is a reminder that whatever stage of
      life you find yourself, age is no obstacle to giving the world a
      swift kick in the voonerables. In keeping with the design, this pin
      comes in a pouch and is not boxed."

      A limited edition of 200 Last Hero pins is available. Each pin is
      priced at £19.99. To order, go to:

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/pins/index.html

      14.2 SUNSHINE SANCTUARY 1.5 INCH PIN BADGE

      A collectible pin honouring Ankh-Morpork's Sunshine Sanctuary for
      Sick Dragons:

      "This two layer pin presents Errol, one of the most famous of the
      Swamp Dragons to have been rescued by the Sanctuary, in antique
      effect silver plate with a copper backplate depicting the strong
      granite walls that are the architectural concession to the explosive
      nature of its residents."

      The Sunshine Sanctuary pin will be available from 26th July. Price
      unknown yet, as your Editor's crystal ball is on the blink...

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/pins/index.html

      14.3 DISCWORLD 2011 CALENDAR

      "This is an inspired collection of paintings by illustrator Josh
      Kirby, who had his own unique interpretations of Terry Pratchett's
      Discworld."

      Each 2011 Discworld Calendar is signed by Pterry and priced at
      £11.99. The calendars will be published on 19th August but are
      available for pre-order:

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/books/index.html (about a quarter of the
      way down the page, in case you get distracted by all the other
      goodies)