WOSSNAME -- June 2010 -- Part 3 of 5

  • granny_tude
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2010
      WOSSNAME -- JUNE 2010 -- PART 3 OF 5 (continued)

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE...

      09) NEW ANKH-MORPORK STREET NAMES IN ROUNDWORLD
      10) WAYBACK TIME: PTERRY'S OLD SHORT STORIES
      11) AN ELEPHANT TO REMEMBER
      12) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      13) REMEMBERING THE LILAC
      14) CONVENTION NEWS

      09) STREET LIFE: NEW ANKH-MORPORK STREET NAMES IN ROUNDWORLD

      Property developers -- and Discworld fans -- Taylor Wimpey have
      secured council approval to name all of the roads in their new
      Kingwell Rise development after Discworld places. New additions
      include Hen And Chickens Field, Morpork Street and Kinklebury [sic]
      Street.

      Sir Terry Pratchett was delighted: "It is just great to return to
      Kingwell Rise a year on and actually see homes now built along
      Treacle Mine Road and Peach Pie Street -- it certainly feels more
      real now -- as opposed to fantasy fiction! I hope the new residents
      are enjoying their road names -- I'd definitely pay good money to
      live on Hen And Chickens Field!"

      Taylor Wimpey regional sales and marketing director Richard Goad
      said : "We are simply over the moon to have Sir Terry back at the
      development leaving another permanent mark on Kingwell Rise for
      current and future residents. Following the public vote last year,
      it seemed fitting to try to get approval on Discworld names for all
      of the roads at the development and we are thrilled that we did."

      Replica road names were signed by Sir Terry and are intended for
      auction at DWcon 2010 in Birmingham in August. All proceeds, plus a
      further donation from Taylor Wimpey, will go to the Alzheimer's
      Research Trust.

      http://tinyurl.com/2acykwv

      For more information about this new "des res" housing estate -- just
      in case you fancy moving to Hen and Chickens Road, say -- go to
      Taylor Wimpey's Kingwell Rise page:

      http://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/newhomes/Bristol/KingwellRise

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) BEFORE HE WAS "THAT BLOKE WHO WRITES DISCWORLD"...

      For the first time online, readers can view the popular children's
      stories online written by Terry Pratchett during his time at the
      Bucks Free Press. Between 1965 and 1970 Pratchett wrote weekly
      stories under the pseudonym Uncle Jim for the Children's Circle
      section.

      Thanks to to a collaboration between the Bucks Free Press and
      Friends of High Wycombe Libraries, all 250 stories will all be
      available online. The stories were originally available only in
      newspapers of the time, and include including a Carpet People story
      published in 1965.

      http://tinyurl.com/22l5pf6

      To read the stories, go to:
      http://www.terrypratchett.weebly.com

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) AN ELEPHANT TO REMEMBER

      Paul Kidby has designed and painted an elephant sculpture which is
      currently on display in London as part of the Elephant Parade
      wildlife conservation fundraising campaign. The life-sized "baby
      elephant", called Eko (Indonesian for first born), will be displayed
      as part of a "herd" in Green Park until the end of June, and then
      auctioned live by Harry Dalmeny of Sotheby's on 3rd July at the
      Royal Hospital Chelsea, from 12:30pm - 1:30pm. 70% of the proceeds
      from the auction of Eko will go to the Orangutan Foundation:

      "If you would like to bid for Eko (lot number 195) in person then
      why not attend the Grand Elephant Auction at the Royal Hospital
      Chelsea. To purchase a ticket please contact Georgina Dunsford on
      georgina@... or phone 0207 580 3184 / 0774 7402 970.
      Tickets are £75 and include a delicious spread and live jazz. If
      you are unable to attend, phone bidding can be arranged. You need to
      register your maximum bid online by 2pm on the 2nd of July 2010 when
      the online auction for this elephant will close."

      http://tinyurl.com/262rf3l

      "Elephant Parade London is London's biggest outdoor art exhibition
      and is running from May to July 2010. With an estimated audience of
      25 million, the campaign aims to raise over £2 million for the
      endangered Asian elephant, and will benefit 17 UK conservation
      charities and more than ten projects in Asia.

      "The event has over 258 brightly painted elephants located across
      central London throughout May and June 2010. Each model elephant is
      decorated by a different artist, designer or celebrity. They are
      bright and beautiful additions to the city; enhancing the parks,
      street corners and buildings of London."

      http://www.givinglots.co.uk/ElephantParadeLondon

      It's also possible to bid online for Eko (lot 195) and other
      elephants:

      http://www.givinglots.co.uk/event/elephantparade181-200

      The current bid for Eko now stands at £4750. Elephant Parade has
      raised £573,323 so far.

      Here be a photo of Eko:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/fumauk/4650196213/

      And here are some photos of Paul Kidby decorating Eko (about two-
      thirds of the way down the page):

      http://www.paulkidby.net/December09.html

      12.1 WYRD SISTERS IN PORTSMOUTH

      The Really Necessary Travelling Actors present their production of
      Wyrd Sisters in July.

      Venue: New Theatre Royal Portsmouth
      When: Tuesday 27 July to Saturday 31 July 2010.
      Time: Curtain 19:30
      Tickets: All seats 11 GBP (Concessions 9 GBP)
      Box Office 02392 649000

      12.2 WYRD SISTERS IN BRAINTREE

      As mentioned in last month's issue, he Braintree Dramatic Society of
      Braintree, Essex (UK) are holding auditions for a production later
      this year of Wyrd Sisters. Auditions will be held on 26th and 29th
      July at 8pm. "Recruits" will have to be able to attend evening
      rehearsals at least once a week (twice for bigger parts) on Mondays
      and/or Thursdays in Braintree. Also needed: behind the scenes
      helpers, from costume making to props.

      For more information, go to:

      www.braintreedramaticsociety.co.uk

      Or email Rachel, the organiser: rayj6@...

      12.3 REVIEW: WYRD SISTERS AT GODOLPHIN SCHOOL, SALISBURY (UK)

      Wyrd Sisters seems to be the most popular Discworld adaptation for
      the stage these days! Not just at Hogsw-, Halloween either:

      "The young actresses managed to cast a spell over the audience with
      the antics of various witches, villains and demons, despite with the
      pyrotechnics managing to set off the smoke alarms before the
      interval..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2fqnruh

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) DON'T FORGET YOUR LILAC NEXT YEAR!!!

      Your Editor has to shamefacedly admit that she completely forgot to
      celebrate the Glorious 25th this year. However, I won't be caught
      out in 2011! Here's where I will be getting my lilac:

      http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19273092

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) CONVENTION NEWS

      14.1 WADFEST UPDATES

      Wadfest 2010 takes place on 20th, 21st and 22nd August at Trentfield
      Farm, Retford, Nottinghamshire, England, with fun, games, drink,
      Luggage Wars, drink, food, drink, and the return of the Wadfest
      Murder Mystery:

      "Strange things have been happening at Dame Victoria Waddington's
      Posh School for Girls of Either Gender. This is a school of
      achievement -- They win the most prestigious awards. The sports
      teams always come home with the trophy. Everyone is happy. But
      nobody likes to talk about the students that disappear..."

      Murder Mystery majordomo Rob says:
      If you want to take part in this year's Murder Mystery, please email
      Rob Lupine at wizardonedge@... and put the words Kill Me in your
      email heading and send me your name, contact details and Wadfest
      ticket number (I need your ticket number to verify you are coming --
      it would be embarrassing if the murderer didn't show up!).

      http://www.wadfest.co.uk

      14.2 DWCON 2010 UPDATES

      DWcon 2010 is gearing up for another fan-famous extravaganza!
      Confirmed guests include all the usual suspects -- Sir Pterry ye
      GoH, Bernard (the Cunning Artificer) Pearson, Colin Smythe, Stephen
      Briggs, tSoD'ers Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen, Discworld (and other
      places) folklorist Jacqueline Simpson, and the undeniably inimitable
      Lionel Fanthorpe. Here are a few updates:

      Children's Fancy Dress Parade

      Under-14s are welcome to enter the Maskerade, but should be aware
      that they will be judged equally with the adult entries. This event
      gives those who may be a little less confident the chance to compete
      on a more level playing field.

      Unlike the Maskerade, where entrants are expected to perform, the
      children's event requires entrants to simply turn up, wearing their
      wonderful Discworld- related costumes and parade for the judges.
      Entrants need to be accompanied by a responsible adult, as the
      organisers cannot be held responsible for the supervision of the
      children! The age limit is set at age 14 and under.

      A short entry card will be provided for entrants to record their
      name, age and details of character / costume. These will be
      available at Registration (from the Maskerade desk), from Ops and on
      the day. Please arrive at the venue, then make yourself known to the
      Parade Director so that she can check that the entry card is
      completed. Then, sit down, wait to be called, hand your card to the
      MC and Voila! Parade and twirl to your heart's content (oh and
      remember to enjoy it!)

      All entrants will receive a certificate for participating and there
      will be PRIZES awarded by the judges. They will be looking for
      originality, style and effort. Costumes created at the Convention,
      in Chaos Costuming, will be specially welcome.

      Chin chin, Cheers, up yer bottom

      There will be much general merriment at the Convention whatever
      happens, but if you feel the need to add a little extra something in
      the alcoholic department (or simply a non-alcoholic beverage to wet
      your whistle), the details of our special deals with the hotel bars
      are now available for your delectation on the drinks page:
      https://www.dwcon.org/content/drinks

      For those who need a bit of extra pep, to feed their caffeine habit
      or just to wake you up after a hard night's cavorting, we are also
      happy to say that the hotel now has a Costa Coffee outlet installed
      in the main foyer next to the bar.

      Make ours a large one!

      Best wishes,
      Your Hotel Team

      For more info and updates, go to:
      https://www.dwcon.org/home

      14.3 NADWCON11 NEWS

      This exciting special edition of NADWCon's Ankh-Morpork Times just
      in:

      MORE ANKH! MORPORK!

      Hear ye, hear ye! A special edition of the Ankh-Morpork Times has
      been put out *just* to share this exciting news:

      The North American Discworld Convention 2011 (NADWCon2011) will be
      coming to beautiful Madison, Wis., on July 8-11, 2011! NADWCon2011
      will be held at The Madison Concourse Hotel and Governor's Club,
      located at 1 W. Dayton St., Madison WI, 53703 It will be a
      celebration of the Discworld and all things Pratchett, and we
      guarantee you won't want to miss it!

      Sir Terry Pratchett, international best-selling author of the
      Discworld novel series (also known as The Man In The Black Hat) will
      be appearing as our Guest of Honor as he did in 2009 (circumstances
      and health permitting) and more guests will be announced shortly.

      Early registration is now open online at www.nadwcon.org. Cost for
      the event is currently $75 each for adult memberships, $45 each for
      child memberships (ages 4 though 12), and free for children age
      three and under. Supporting memberships, for non-attendees, is $30
      each. These rates will be in effect until December 1. We are
      planning to cap membership at approximately 1,000 attendees to
      ensure that all attendees will be able to be seated at the major
      functions in our ballroom.

      To guarantee that you have the best experience possible, attendees
      are encouraged to register and book their hotel rooms early. The
      Madison Concourse Hotel has a block of rooms available now at a
      special convention rate! So head on over to our hotel page
      (http://www.nadwcon.org/html/hotel.html) and book a room now!

      Attendees are also encouraged to book early because Art Fair On the
      Square, a very popular annual outdoor art show, will be occurring
      during the same dates as the convention. Madison will be busy that
      weekend and hotels will fill up fast!

      All profits from NADWCon2011 will go to the Orangutan Foundation
      (www.orangutan.org.uk), the Alzheimer's Research Trust (www
      .alzheimers-research.org.uk), and to fund future NADWCons. The North
      American Discworld Convention 2011 is being sponsored by The Guild
      of Chelonavigators, a non-profit volunteer organization.

      More information on all aspects of the convention will be added to
      the official website as it is confirmed. Please check back and keep
      an eye on the LiveJournal community
      http://community.livejournal.com/nadwcon2009 where all news will be
      announced.

      "I'm so excited about this convention, I'm practically convulsing,"
      said Convention Chair Joshua Goes.

      Questions? Comments? Concerns? Please visit our lusciously content-
      rich forums at http://nadwcon.9.forumer.com/ or email
      publicity@....