WOSSNAME SPECIAL EDITION -- June 2010 -- Discworld Cup Fever

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2010
      15th JUNE 2010

      SPECIAL EDITION JUNE 2010: DISCWORLD CUP FEVER

      2) THE DISCWORLD CUP

      It's (Disc)world Cup time! Check out the article below. Then head
      over to vote. Vote early, vote often, vote in every round -- and if
      you're a reader who resides in the UK or in Ireland, you might be
      lucky enough to win the Discworld Cup itself. Go Team Pratchett!

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      2) THE DISCWORLD CUP

      Yes, it's that time again. Not so much World Cup time -- which it is
      -- but time for the far more important *Discworld* Cup. Who needs
      football on telly when you have books on bookshelves? In the spirit
      of world cups in general, Sir Pterry and his supporters have come up
      with a new idea, as described on Between the Lines:

      "The Discworld Cup is a competition contested by the books of Sir
      Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

      "The format of the tournament involves 32 teams (otherwise known as
      books) competing for the title of Favourite Discworld Book 2010 over
      a period of one month. The 32 teams that start the tournament are
      made of every Discworld novel in the series, except for those aimed
      at younger readers and The Last Hero, which was officially known as
      a Discworld Fable. Sir Terry Pratchett himself randomly selected the
      books through a highly scientific process.

      "Having got this far we realised that a tournament of this sort
      needs a very shiny, trophy for one lucky participant to kiss and
      wave about and make everyone else feel thoroughly jealous. Created
      by the elusive Sergeant Braille we have a cup to rival all other
      cups! (see below) So to be in with a chance to win the highly
      covetable, scarily limited edition Discworld Cup make your voice
      heard and cheer on your favourite Discworld book, I mean team, no I
      mean book.

      "All the terms and conditions and voting can be found at
      www.discworldcup.co.uk head on over and make your vote count!"

      Here be the original page, including a lovely photo of ye Cup:
      http://www.between-the-lines.co.uk/?p=724

      ...and here be the teams and instructions on how to vote --
      including a video of Sir Pterry choosing the contenders by "highly
      scientific" method, aided by various chickens...and the very patient
      Colin Smythe:

      http://www.discworldcup.co.uk/

      Remember, voting for the first round ends in two days, eight hours,
      eight min- -- you get the idea...so go vote NOW!!!

      p.s. The Cup really is quite garishly wonderful!...