WOSSNAME -- May 2010 -- Part 3 of 5

  • granny_tude
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2010
      WOSSNAME -- MAY 2010 -- PART 3 OF 5 (continued)

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE...

      12) MOIST LIKES HIS PRATCHETT THE OLD-FASHIONED WAY
      13) REVIEW: UNSEEN ACADEMICALS
      14) NEW DISCWORLD MINIATURES FROM PJSM PRINTS
      15) REVIEW: ONLY YOU CAN SAVE MANKIND (THE NOVEL)
      16) UNSEEN UNIVERSITY CHALLENGE...ISH
      17) GUILTY OF LIT-CRIT: PTERRY STUDIED IN PTEXAS
      18) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      19) DISCWORLD VERSUS NEW TECHNOLOGY: NOT A WIN
      20) ABP BITS
      21) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS

      12) MOIST LIKES HIS PRATCHETT THE OLD-FASHIONED WAY

      Richard Coyle, who stars as Moist von Lipwig in the about-to-be-
      aired telefilm of Going Postal, was already a fan of the Discworld
      series:

      "I think [Pratchett] has a huge amount of respect for the old-
      fashioned way of doing things and I think people respond to that. I
      think he's concerned with finding the soul, like I said that's
      Moist's journey, but I think he does look for the soul in Mr
      Everyman and I think we've lost a bit of that in our society, we're
      losing a bit of community I think, and he's concerned with those
      things that we've all cherished for so many years."

      http://tinyurl.com/23mgnpd

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) REVIEW: UNSEEN ACADEMICALS

      In The Star Online, a well-crafted review by journalist Terence Toh:

      "Weaving a light-hearted, touching tale in his inimitable style and
      mercilessly parodying everything from The Da Vinci Code and dark
      fantasy clichés to former Argentinian football ace Diego Maradona,
      Pratchett gives us a breezy, enjoyable read in Unseen Academicals,
      which touches on the power of sport, and how it can bring people
      together and change the world... As expected, the writing style is
      remarkable. Pratchett delivers witty line after witty line with
      great aplomb, only slowing down a little towards the end of the
      novel, but still managing to engross the reader throughout... While
      some might complain that this novel relies more on recurring jokes
      and repeated lines than other books in the series, I still found the
      humour delightful..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2b5qg66

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) NEW DISCWORLD MINIATURES FROM PJSM PRINTS

      The latest Discworld miniatures on offer from PJSM Prints include a
      timely one: Moist von Lipwig in his Postmaster's winged hat.

      All miniatures offered below are 30mm scale, high quality, metal
      cast. Each kit is provided with a 30mm round plastic base and will
      require preparation, assembly and painting.

      Moist von Lipwig £8.00
      Detritus and his siege crossbow £32.50
      CMOT Dibbler £7.50
      Death (on motorcycle) £16.00

      For more details and to order:
      http://www.pjsmprints.com/miniatures/index.html

      For painting tips and advice, go to:
      www.coolminiornot.com/article

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) REVIEW: ONLY YOU CAN SAVE MANKIND (THE NOVEL)

      A fine, thoughtful review at blogcritics.org by author-to-be Jessica
      Lada, who has just achieved her Master's degree in Professional
      Writing:

      "I didn't have a good reason for avoiding it except that the cover
      says 'Terry Pratchett' but has a space ship rather than an ogre or a
      wizard or Death on it. Now I can safely say this book is a perfect
      reason why authors shouldn't be pigeon-holed. Pratchett doesn't just
      write satirical fantasy for adults featuring bumbling wizards and
      trolls whose knuckles make bink-bink noises. He also writes
      children's books about video games and aliens, and he pulls it off
      splendidly... This novel reminded me how great Pratchett is at
      creating distinct and vivid characters in a very efficient way. He
      isn't just fantastically funny; he also tells really well-crafted
      stories that poke at your emotions and vices in just the right
      way..."

      http://tinyurl.com/294edca

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) UNSEEN UNIVERSITY CHALLENGE...ISH

      Livemint Blogs, a division of the Wall Street Journal, runs a weekly
      book quiz. Quiz number 46 was Discworld-themed; it went down very
      well, and the quizmaster was apparently surprised at how subject-
      knowledgeable the readers were. Having seen the questions, your
      Editor is of the opinion that *any* WOSSNAME reader could have
      answered them correctly without even blinking, but here, judge for
      yourselves...

      The questions:
      http://tinyurl.com/326ukf4

      The answers:
      http://tinyurl.com/376ss7p

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) GUILTY OF LIT-CRIT: PTERRY STUDIED IN PTEXAS

      The Texas A&M university is offering a course in vampire-themed
      literature this year:

      "Beginning fall 2010, the English department will offer English 485
      and English 585. The fall 2010 Forms and Genres classes, which will
      be taught by Dr. Robin Anne Reid, will focus on vampire narratives.
      These classes will go beyond literature and also focus on vampire
      poetry, prose, television and film. In addition to in-class reading,
      there will also be online content for students to study... the
      classes incorporate a wider range of literature than just
      'Twilight,' although Meyer's novel is one of the required texts.
      Other class texts include 'Tantalize' by Cynthia Leitich Smith,
      'Carpe Jugulum' by Terry Pratchett and 'Fledgling' by Octavia E.
      Butler..."

      http://tinyurl.com/25hvagn

      Some excellent iconographs from last year's Unseen Academicals
      promotional football match in Wincanton:

      http://www.between-the-lines.co.uk/?p=597

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) DISCWORLD VERSUS NEW TECHNOLOGY: NOT A WIN

      Blogger Joseph Bottum loves Terry Pratchett's novels, but hates the
      infamous Kindle e-reader. In a long, impassioned diatribe liberally
      peppered with appropriate Pratchett quotations, he tells us why:

      "I think my wife's idea was that, since the Kindle editions are
      always a dollar or so cheaper, in a year or two, the Kindle would
      have paid for itself. Assuming that we would keep buying that many
      books. And assuming we found the Kindle a good substitute. But the
      text is simply a disaster. It's like reading the old ASCII files
      of Project Gutenberg online: You could do it, if you really had to,
      but your eyes typically went on strike somewhere in the first half
      hour... I downloaded Terry Pratchett's last book, Unseen
      Academicals... And it was horrible. Oh, I read the book, since I
      was, you know, desperate, but the experience was again as
      disappointing as reading a Terry Pratchett novel could possibly be.
      And here's an easy illustration of why: A good number of the best
      lines in his work are at the bottom of the page; he employs
      footnotes as a comic device, and THE FOOTNOTES WEREN'T AT THE BOTTOM
      OF THE PAGE. Gone. Lost. Astray. Man, I hate the Kindle."

      http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2010/05/05/kindling/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) ABP BITS

      20.1 THE MYSTERIES OF AMAZON

      Okay, Amazon is currently claiming that this oft-cited next Tiffany
      book has a publication date of 2nd September this year.

      Is there any word from Pterry to confirm this, or is Amazon being
      somewhat... speculative... again, like when they announced the
      Sourcery screenplay was available for pre-order, and it turned out
      The Mob wasn't even *doing* Sourcery?

      -- Dave

      Amazon is listing a book for release in August, The Wee Free Men:
      The Beginning (in the UK, Tiffany Aching and the Wee Free Men). Does
      anyone know if this is a repackaging or Wee Free Men, or of related
      material, an omnibus of WFM and HoS (it doesn't appear big enough
      for that, at under 500 pages) or exactly what?

      It's pretty clearly not I Shall Wear Midnight, which is scheduled
      for the beginning of September in the UK and end of September in the
      US. Also, Corgi is releasing WFM and HoS paperback editions in July
      in the UK, which would be odd if this were an omnibus of them coming
      out the following month.

      -- William

      Publishing is an odd business, full of people who do odd things. But
      in this case, the explanation may be that the July editions are
      published by Corgi (Pterry's UK publisher) and the August version
      by Transworld (Pterry's US publisher).

      Then again, Amazon is even odder, and has been known to completely
      make books up, apparently on the logic that they *ought* to exist.
      (The 4th Edition Companion, for example, which they spent some time
      in 2006 touting for the following September.) Don't believe in
      anything that doesn't have a cover picture, that's my advice.

      -- Dave

      More of that Reader in Invisible Writings stuff, I suppose?

      -- Chris Z

      Not me gov...

      Oh you mean TP's type of Invisible Writings. (Maybe Amazon has a
      HEX* and is using it without knowing the limitations)

      Mind you Douglas Adam's "Salmon of Doubt" was officially announced
      several time but after his regrettable and early demise, only a few
      fragments could be found across the hard discs of several Mac's.
      They were, with other material, published for posterity under that
      title, but very little in the way of a coherent story ever seems to
      have existed, despite what the publishers probably advanced.

      *I understand many people have wished a HEX on Amazon over the years
      -- especially just before Christmas ;-)

      -- Reader in Invisible Writings

      Hey, I've just checked, and apparently The Complete Discworld
      Companion is due in October 2011. And it *must* be true this time,
      because they even know how many pages it has...

      -- Dave

      20.2 PTERRY AS TOLKIEN?

      I am half way though LOTR. Although the language is undeniably
      beautiful, JRRT does wax lyrical in his descriptions of places and
      things, but with enough style to keep your attention.

      Contrast this with TP's writing which gives you the essential
      outline of the thing and leaves you to paint the rest of the
      picture.

      On the other hand a certain JKR leans the other way.

      So percentage wise "How long would LOTR be if it had been
      written by TP?"

      I would guess at about 60% .

      -- Reader in Invisible Writings

      I wouldn't disagree. I have noticed that one of PTerry's ways of
      describing something is not to describe it but to describe the
      effect it had on the characters present. Hence, to take an early
      example, the two characters making bets about what had exploded in
      the distant, burning A-M. Instead of telling us it was full of
      explosions, the characters discussed the explosions. The technique,
      it seems to me, works very well -- getting the "audience" reaction
      provides and extra layer of verisimilitude without the danger of
      the prose becoming purple. Provided, of course, your characters are
      themselves credible and interesting -- which applies to PTerry but
      is not always the case.

      Again, I just cannot see PTerry writing LOTR. Too much of it is
      absolutes of black and white, and PTerry always has shades of grey
      in his characters.

      -- Alec

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      21) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS

      BROKEN DRUMMERS JUNE MEET

      The Broken Drummers is a London Discworld Group that meets once a
      month on a Monday evening. Membership is free -- just come along to
      The Monkey Puzzle, Paddington, London, W2 1JQ. New members and
      visitors to London are both welcome and encouraged.

      For the date of the next meeting, email brokendrummers@...

      DRUMMERS DOWN UNDER JUNE MEET

      The Drummers Downunder is the Sydney sister of the London Broken
      Drummers. The next meet is on Monday, 7th June, at 7pm at Maloneys
      on the corner of Pitt & Goulburn Streets (across the road from World
      Square), Sydney, Australia. Visitors to Sydney are also very
      welcome.

      For more information, contact Sim
      Lauren at simlauren@...