WOSSNAME -- April 2010 -- Part 3 of 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27 6:25 PM
      WOSSNAME -- APRIL 2010 -- PART 3 OF 4 (continued)

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE, AND HOROSCOPE

      13) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      14) NAC MAC FEEGLE FIGURINES: GOING, GOING...
      15) PTERRY HELPS SAVE VILLAGE CHURCH
      16) IMAGE OF THE MONTH: HUMOROUS VEGETABLES DEPARTMENT
      17) TIM'S TURN AS TRYMON
      18) DISCWORLD SCULPTURE WINS THE DAY IN IOWA
      19) PRATCHETT BOOKS CAN LEAD TO LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT
      20) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE MAR > AUG

      13) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      13.1 NEW BBC INTERVIEW

      Video extract from an interview by presenter Stephen Sackhur on the
      BBC programme HARDtalk, in which Pterry discusses positive attitudes
      and the maintaining of dignity by Alzheimer's sufferers:

      http://tinyurl.com/25pmrhu

      The programme is simultaneously signed for the hearing impaired. It
      is fascinating to watch Pterry's spoken words translated into sign
      language.

      13.2 PRATCHETT BACKS LAUNCH OF ALZHEIMER'S SUFFERERS STUDY

      An article in The Independent:

      "Most people believe the ability to lead a full life stops when
      Alzheimer's is diagnosed but a new study shows the reverse is true.
      A poll of more than 2,000 members of the public found only one in
      seven (13 per cent) believe somebody with dementia can have a good
      quality of life at all stages of their condition... Author Sir Terry
      Pratchett, who has posterior cortical atrophy, a rare form of
      dementia, welcomed the launch of the study, My Name is Not Dementia.
      He said: 'Dementia is undoubtedly a cruel and debilitating
      condition. However, a diagnosis does not strip a person of their
      identity. That person still has a voice and they deserve to be
      heard. Dementia requires not just care but also understanding. We
      have to learn to be good at it.'"

      http://tinyurl.com/y6fmj79

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) NAC MAC FEEGLE FIGURINES: GOING, GOING...ALMOST GONE

      PJSM Prints is offering the very last of their excellent "life-
      sized" Nac Mac Feegle miniatures. Originally designed by Paul Kidby,
      these figurines are all sale-priced at £9.99

      Still a few available:

      William the Gonnagle (175mm tall)
      Big Yan (155mm tall)
      Not-as-big-as-Medium-Sized-Jock-but-Bigger-than-Wee-Jock-Jock (165mm
      tall)
      Fion (160mm tall)
      Hamish the Aviator (145mm tall)

      Daft Wullie and Rob Anybody are now completely sold out, but Rob is
      still available in bronze. See the page for details:

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/feegles/index.html

      [Note: Your (Acting) Editor has a William the Gonnagle figurine in
      the desk front of him as he types and can confirm that these
      figurines are very impressive and lifelike.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) PTERRY HELPS SAVE VILLAGE CHURCH

      As reported in The Express (UK):

      "Just 35ft long, 13th century St Martin's in Fifield Bavant, near
      Salisbury, Wiltshire, is the second smallest church regularly used
      for worship in England. Sir Terry, 61, said: 'I have never prayed in
      it and doubtless never shall but St ­Martin's is a solace to the
      soul. Some things are simply worth preserving. I could not stand by
      and watch the place fall down. That would be sacrilege.'"

      http://tinyurl.com/233fs85

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) HUMOROUS VEGETABLES DEPARTMENT (IMAGE OF THE MONTH)

      This appeared on the blog site of famous biologist PZ Myers:

      "I have a feeling this feature might turn into something like a
      county fair on Discworld, where people bring in odd-shaped turnips
      that have curiously titillating shapes when looked at just so..."

      http://tinyurl.com/yyu8kh2

      Quite a few Discworld references in the comments section, too.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) TIM'S TURN AS TRYMON

      An article listing "top five performances" in Tim Curry's career
      includes The Colour of Magic:

      "Bringing life to maniacal wizard Trymon in Sky One's adaptation
      of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, Tim Curry delivered one of
      his more memorable turns in 2008's Colour of Magic... Given the
      right cast and a big enough budget, Pratchett's novels can be made
      into truly magical television..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2fmxsch

      Includes a video extract from the film.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) DISCWORLD SCULPTURE WINS THE DAY IN IOWA

      Young sculptor Dylan Vaugn has won an arts prize, Best of Show 3-D
      art, for his vision of the Discworld:

      "Vaugn spent virtually all of the school year in art class creating
      the sculpture, using clay, paper, mirror, wire and paints. He was
      one of more than a dozens Vinton-Shellsburg art students who placed
      first, second or third in the annual WaMaC Art Fair..."

      http://www.vintoniowa.org/News/article347.html

      The full-sized photo of Dylan and his creation:
      http://www.vintoniowa.org/images/pics/100_9811.jpg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) PRATCHETT BOOKS CAN LEAD TO LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT

      ...at least if you're Malaysian journalist Ariel Pheh Pik Teng:

      "I was strolling past shelves of books and scanning them for the
      latest potential reads, when I remembered that I had yet to read
      Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett... Gaiman is pretty
      much the god of stories, as is Pratchett. So I headed for the
      designated shelves with much vigour. I'd like to say that I took a
      leaf out of romantic movies and books, walked up to him, said hello,
      discussed our favourite Pratchett books, and together we adjourned
      to the nearby cafe for coffee..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2d9ehmj

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) THE NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      by Fernando Magnifico

      Hallo and buongiorno! The Lady Asterisk is not available this month,
      for she has accidentally eaten one of Mr. Dibbler's pies. But do not
      fear, my friends, for Fernando shall be your astrologer today!

      My friends, Fernando knows that life is made up of a series of
      events, or as the Morporkian proverb goes, "it is one damn thing
      after another" (if you excuse Fernando's Quirmian). These things are
      related to such factors as love, fortune, or money. Most of the
      time, life is equally affected by many such factors, but sometimes
      there is such a month as this, where you can expect your life to be
      dominated by a single over-riding factor. This month the stars say
      that all twelve of the signs have such a dominant factor shaping
      your life, although a different one for each sign. Perhaps this will
      be a single major event that bends all the other events around it,
      or it may be a series of many little events all connected, but
      whichever way, let Fernando show you the shape of your life for the
      next month.

      Ciao bella!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      The Adamant Hedgehog 21 Mar - 20 Apr

      Hoggers, this month the stars say that you can expect much in the
      way of conflict and argument. You can expect to have the arguments
      with your wife or husband, with your work mates, and even with the
      random strangers you bump into walking down the street. And not just
      the big arguments about who is the father of Doreen's bambino, or
      whether or not investing your mam's entire rainy-day savings on a
      three-card Onion when playing against somebody called Henry the Hat
      was a good decision, but also the arguments over the little things
      like whether you take two sugars in your tea or three. The words
      "You lookin' at me, Jimmy?" may be said. But knowing what the
      typical Hogger is like, Fernando knows that this will be just an
      ordinary month for you.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      The Half-Eaten Sandwich 21 Apr - 21 May

      Sandies, Fernando is happy for you, for the stars say that you will
      experience much love this month! And not the very reasonably priced
      sort from the Seamstresses, not that Fernando has anything against
      reasonably priced love, but who does not prefer the free gifts?
      Fernando reminds you though, do not forget the simple preventatives,
      otherwise you may end up with the unexpected bambino, or worse, be
      like Fernando's second cousin Joseph who ran away to sea after
      getting *four* signorinas in the family way in one week.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      Herne the Hunted 22 May - 21 Jun

      Hernians, this month the stars say that you will be blessed with the
      best of health, like Fernando's grandpapa Franco who was never sick
      a day in his life, except once, when he drank an entire bottle of
      Uncle Rafael's grappa for a bet and went blind for a week. Fernando
      knows that good health makes the difference between happiness and
      misery: it doesn't matter whether you are the king or the beggar,
      the duke or the swineherd, if you don't have your health you will
      never be happy. This is why Fernando always eats a big plate of
      greens every day. And why he takes plenty of exercise "con molto
      fuoco", especially when wearing the fig leaf.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      The Wizard's Staff and Knob 22 Jun - 22 Jul

      Staffies, this is the month for fame! Whether you want it or not
      (and Fernando knows that Staffies do not mind being the centre of
      attention), you can expect your "15 minutes of fame", as they say,
      although the stars say it will last closer to the three or four
      weeks. For this short while, you will almost know what it is like to
      be Fernando, with the small childrens following you down the street,
      the young mens and womens desperate to be near you and touch you so
      your greatness will rub off on them, and the old peoples to be
      disapproving but secretly jealous of you. It is a heavy burden to
      carry, my friends, the burden of being the centre of others' hopes
      and fears and desires, so be glad that your fame lasts only the
      short while. Do not be sad for Fernando, for his back is strong and
      he is used to carrying this burden.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      Bilious, God of Hangovers 23 Jul - 23 Aug

      Bilians are no stranger to the feeling seedy, as they say, but this
      month the stars say you can expect to crawl into the bed with a big
      glass of hot lemon drink (and perhaps a splash or two of whiskey),
      for this month holds various and divers illnesses. But do not be
      afeared, for the stars say that it will not be serious. Perhaps
      three splashes then. My friends, Fernando can let you into the
      Brindisian secret cures for the common illnesses, as taught to him
      when he was the young boy by his sainted mamma and his Auntie Maria.
      For the claggies, a spoonful of turpentine and a charcoal biscuit,
      and keep away from the open flames for at least two hours. For the
      gryphon pox, you must bath in the cat's water, and Fernando does not
      mean the cat's *drinking* water. And for the Eight-Year Itch,
      Fernando knows that the sure-fire cure is bromide in the coffee or
      tea.

      (Horoscope continues in Part 4)

      If you did not get all four parts, write: interact@...