WOSSNAME -- April 2010 -- Part 1 of 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2010
      APRIL 2010 (Volume 13, Issue 4)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      01) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE (ACTING) EDITOR
      03) HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SIR PTERRY!
      04) GOING POSTAL NEWS
      05) STILL TIME TO VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE Y.A. BOOKS
      06) PTERRY TO GUEST-EDIT SFX MAGAZINE
      07) NATION SHORTLISTED FOR CARNEGIE MEDAL
      08) UNSEEN ACADEMICALS UP FOR LOCUS AWARD
      09) SIR PTERRY TO BE KEYNOTE SPEAKER AT WRITERS' FESTIVAL

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS

      10) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS
      11) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      12) CONVENTION NEWS

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE, AND HOROSCOPE

      13) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      14) NAC MAC FEEGLE FIGURINES: GOING, GOING...
      15) PTERRY HELPS SAVE VILLAGE CHURCH
      16) IMAGES OF THE MONTH: HUMOROUS VEGETABLES?
      17) TIM'S TURN AS TRYMON
      18) DISCWORLD SCULPTURE WINS THE DAY IN IOWA
      19) PRATCHETT BOOKS CAN LEAD TO LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT
      20) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE MAR > AUG

      ====Part 4 -- HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED, AND CLOSE

      24) HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED AUG > MAR

      01) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "Most science fiction writers were once fans. There's a habit they
      have, not of paying back, but of paying forward. I know of no other
      branch of literature where the established 'names' so keenly
      encourage wannabe writers to become their competitors."

      -- Terry Pratchett, "Paperback Writer", the Guardian (2003)

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) LETTER FROM THE (ACTING) EDITOR

      One of the Discworld's most enduring and popular characters is
      Unseen University's Librarian, a wizard who was turned into a
      orangutan in a magical accident. The Librarian is now iconic enough
      that some fans are known to describe all orangutans as "Librarians".
      Orangutans are our genetic cousins: we share 97% of our DNA with
      them, and the distant ancestors of human beings and orangutans
      parted company a mere 14 million years ago. They are our close
      cousins, with only gorillas and chimpanzees closer.

      (For those who wonder at my use of the word "mere", remember that
      life on Earth is at least 3.5 billion years old. To use the hoary
      old analogy, if the origin of life on Earth was midnight on January
      1st, and right now was just an instant before midnight on New Year's
      Eve, then our ancestors split from the orangutans' ancestors at the
      equivalent of lunchtime on December 30th. Four minutes to 1pm to be
      precise.)

      Anyone who has been privileged enough to see an orangutan up close,
      even if it is through a glass wall at a zoo, will report just how
      human-like they are. They might not be as intelligent as Unseen
      University's Librarian (it was a *magical* accident, after all) but
      they are amazingly human-like, with deep soulful eyes, emotions and
      sentience. They are also one of the elite handful of tool-using
      species. Perhaps you wouldn't trust them to mow your lawn, let alone
      fly a spaceship, but great-to-the-700-thousand-granddad was no
      better and we ended up okay.

      Unfortunately, we may be the last generation to see these wonderful
      animals. Both orangutan species are in danger from poaching for
      food, the illegal pet trade, and especially from habitat loss. There
      are fewer than 60,000 orangutans remaining, and without active
      efforts to save them, they could be extinct in just 10-30 years. The
      world will be darker, sadder, and less interesting without them.

      The world is a big place and there is plenty of room for the
      orangutans as well as us, if we choose. There are 6.8 billion human
      beings on this planet doing their bit to ensure that Homo sapiens
      survives; surely we can spare a bit of effort to save the
      Librarians? Sir Terry Pratchett is on the Board of Trustees of the
      UK Orangutan Foundation, a charitable foundation in the UK which
      does excellent work for the conservation of these amazing animals.
      The Orangutan Conservancy also does excellent work. Just as
      important as charitable donations is political awareness: let your
      local MP or Congressperson know that you care about orangutans, that
      you oppose the continuing destruction of their habitat, and that you
      support the use of environmentally sustainable oil and timber
      products. There is still hope for the Librarians.

      http://www.orangutan.org.uk/
      http://www.orangutan.net/

      -- Steven D'Aprano, Acting Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

      WOSSNAME would like to raise a toast to Sir Pterry on the occasion
      of his birthday (28th April). Congratulations, and keep those books
      coming!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) GOING POSTAL NEWS

      4.1 GOING POSTAL: THE TRAILER

      In Den of Geek, a glimpse of next month's Sky TV production of Going
      Postal:

      "If the two-part movie adaptation of Going Postal is anything close
      to approaching the production values and quality of Hogfather and
      The Colour Of Magic, then we should have something very special to
      look forward to, and with such a stellar cast, also including the
      likes of Charles Dance, Steve Pemberton, Timothy West and Andrew
      Sachs, it's looking very likely. Have a look at the trailer and see
      what you think and we'll let you know the broadcast details as they
      come to light..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2aerwbw

      4.2 PTERRY ON THE FILM ADAPTATION

      In The Independent, Matilda Battersby has an in-depth interview with
      the author:

      "The television version comes in two hour-long episodes, closely
      resembling the book in both dialogue and feel, although the ending
      and some smaller features have been amended, which hawkish readers
      might be offended by. Pratchett is notably upset by such changes. He
      says: 'With great power comes great frustration. Sometimes, when on
      set, I'd pipe up and say 'that isn't right!' But often you
      have to recognise that the form has to change in adaptation. I know
      that the readers on the whole won't mind too much... I recently
      had a complicated phone call with someone who had to abridge a
      Discworld book. He said that just when you think "Oh that bit's
      nonsense, I can cut that," you realise it forms it the entire basis
      of the plot and have to start all over again. We had this problem
      with "Going Postal," as the phrase "The falling angel meets the
      rising ape" has particular importance and they wanted to cut it,"
      he says... 'The fans will look out for the scenery shaking and any
      alterations in the stories' adaptations, but the readers are not
      quite so particular.'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/y57nhll

      4.3 GOING POSTAL...DOWN UNDER

      Going Postal has secured a home-entertainment deal and an Australian
      pay-TV slot through agreements signed by ALL3MEDIA International.
      Louise Pedersen, the managing director at ALL3MEDIA International,
      said, "We are very pleased to work with the highly respected and
      renowned producer Mob Film Company in bringing this spectacular
      drama to fruition. We are seeing great demand from international
      broadcasters looking for major drama productions for their primetime
      schedules, so now is the perfect time to launch Going Postal. Terry
      Pratchett is a hugely popular author around the world and this
      captivating adaptation offers wide audience appeal."

      [Info courtesy of Colin Smythe]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) STILL TIME TO VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE Y.A. BOOKS!

      1. Vote for your top ten YA books of all time (not just this year or
      last year) by 11:59 on April 30, 2010. YA in this case will indicate
      a readership of 13 and over. This is a loose definition but is in
      place to differentiate it from Middle Grade. You can provide
      reasoning for a book if you feel it belongs in the YA category.
      However, I retain the right of refusal.

      2. List these books in your order of preference (stating both title
      and author). Your #1 YA book would be the one you feel is the most
      important, so it will receive 10 points. Your #2 choice will be only
      9 points. And so on and such. So be very careful how you order your
      books. Ranking titles incorrectly might lead to an "interesting"
      group of results so please be careful to do this correctly.

      3. Submit these books to me at adele@... or via
      this Google Doc. Write "YA Book Poll" in the subject line.

      4. If you like, you can submit what you like about each title. At
      the beginning of May I will tally up the totals and I will quote
      from the submitted pieces why one individual or another liked a
      particular book (citing the reader). That way we can share why we
      liked one book or another. I will then count down from 100 to 1 the
      top choices of what people feel the best YA titles of all time are.

      Please feel free to invite others to take part in this poll by
      forwarding this email to them. The more participants (in all fields
      and locations) the better.

      Thank you for your consideration,
      Adele
      PersnicketySnark.com

      For more information, go to:
      http://tinyurl.com/yhgh3yg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      06) PTERRY TO GUEST-EDIT SFX MAGAZINE

      Terry Pratchett will be the guest editor of next month's issue of
      SFX magazine Issue 196, published on 5th May 2010 to signal the
      start of a three-month "Summer of SF Reading" campaign.

      "Across the next three issues SFX will increased books coverage,
      with Orion sci-fi imprint Gollancz as sponsor. Meanwhile
      Waterstone's will be signposting the books which the magazine
      recommends in-store. Pratchett's SFX edit includes a retrospective
      of his favourite sci-fi film 'Blade Runner', a retrospective on the
      writings of John Wyndham, and a piece on 'Doctor Who' written by
      Pratchett himself. Dave Bradley, SFX editor-in-chief, said that
      importance of books to the sci-fi genre was something that deserved
      'a special celebration'..."

      Issue 196 will be available on 5th May at a cover price of £3.99.
      For those abroad, SFX Magazine is normally available as an import at
      various genre booksellers.

      http://tinyurl.com/2vhozr9

      http://www.sfx.co.uk

      More information about Pterry's guest editing spot can be found at:

      http://tinyurl.com/2cs4963

      Also, as SFX magazine is published from Bath (UK), the Bath
      Chronicle has the news as local:

      "Sir Terry -- who once worked as a sub-editor on The Bath Chronicle
      -- has been actively involved in planning the issue, which is out
      next Wednesday. The writer, who lives near Salisbury, has also
      written a piece about Doctor Who for the website while the magazine
      has a behind-the-scenes report from the Sky1 adaptation of his book
      Going Postal..."

      http://tinyurl.com/3829e3p

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      07) NATION SHORTLISTED FOR CARNEGIE MEDAL

      Nation has been shortlisted for the 2010 Carnegie Medal. The winner
      will be announced at a ceremony at BAFTA in London on 24th June.

      The full shortlist is:

      Chains (Laurie Halse Anderson)
      The Graveyard Book (Neil Gaiman)
      The Vanishing of Katerina Linden (Helen Grant)
      Rowan the Strange (Julie Hearn)
      The Ask and the Answer (Patrick Ness)
      Nation (Terry Pratchett)
      Fever Crumb (Philip Reeve)
      Revolver (Marcus Sedgwick)

      http://tinyurl.com/24bh6h7

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) UNSEEN ACADEMICALS UP FOR LOCUS AWARD

      Unseen Academicals has been shortlisted for the 2010 Locus Award, in
      the Fantasy category. The full shortlist is:

      The City & The City (China Mieville)
      Unseen Academicals (Terry Pratchett)
      Drood (Dan Simmons)
      Palimpsest (Catherynne M. Valente)
      Finch (Jeff VanderMeer)

      Winners will be presented during the Science Fiction Awards Weekend
      in Seattle WA, June 25-27, 2010. Tickets are $40 and include Locus
      events on Saturday June 26, a free day-pass to the SF Museum, and
      special invitation to the Science Fiction Hall of Fame ceremony.
      Tickets can be purchased online through Paypal, or by phone at (510)
      339-9198.

      http://tinyurl.com/y4vhfvs

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      09) SIR PTERRY TO BE KEYNOTE SPEAKER AT WRITERS' FESTIVAL

      From the Hampshire Chronicle:

      "The best-selling author, who lives near Salisbury, will give the
      main speech at the festival on June 26. His talk at Winchester
      University is titled Why Are You Listening To Me When You Should be
      at Home Writing? Barbara Large, director of the writers'
      conference, said: 'Sir Terry is a master storyteller. He has an
      incisive wit, is a keen observer of the fantastical and has the
      profound ability to entertain and inform us with his spectacular
      inventive comic satire. We're very much looking forward to
      welcoming him to the university.' The Winchester Writers'
      Conference, Festival and Bookfair that runs from June 25-27 is now
      in its 30th year. Following the three-day event there will be a week
      of writing workshops..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2ue96zh

      For would-be participants:

      To receive a conference programme for the Winchester Writers'
      Conference please contact the Conference Director, Barbara Large
      MBE, Research and Knowledge Exchange Centre, University of
      Winchester, Winchester, Hampshire S022 4NR. For more information
      call 01962 827238, email Barbara.Large@... or visit
      www.writersconference.co.uk

      http://www.booktrade.info/index.php/showarticle/26753

      End of Part 1, continued on Part 2 of 4