WOSSNAME - MAY 2001 - PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2001
      May 2001 (Volume 4, Issue 5)

      continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      Staff Writers: Geof Johns, Michael Jones
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Art Director : Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Becky Swaney
      Convention News Editor: Megan Perry

      ==Part 1

      1. New Terry Book - THE LAST HERO
      2. Bromeliad on the Screen
      3. Good Omens
      4. Education on the Discworld
      5. Covers that Sell
      6. UK Auditions for Maskerade Movie

      ==Part 2

      7. Letters from Our Readers

      ==Part 3

      8. New ToT Audio Cassette
      9. Pocket Essential on Terry Pratchett
      10. Men at Arms Scramble

      ==Part 1

      1) THE LAST HERO

      The following information about The Last Hero is taken from Colin Smythe's
      (PTerry's agent) web site. It would seem it will be not a novel but more of
      an illustrated book similar to the original edition of Eric.

      http://www.colin-smythe.com/authors/tp/titles/hero.htm

      Terry's interview on Amazon.co.uk for The Fifth Elephant mentioned The Last
      Hero, and as I have been asked for some further information about it, at
      least some of the following may be new to you.

      THE LAST HERO will be a large format hardcover book, published by Gollancz,
      rather like DINOTOPIA in that Paul Kidby will be painting something like 70
      full colour pictures to face Terry's text on every double page spread. It
      will
      sell at about UKP 20. Delivery is scheduled for the end of March 2001, for
      intended publication in the autumn of this year.

      Terry says:
      "This was conceived as an illustrated story, so I've made sure there's lots
      to illustrate -- including the entire voyage of the Discworld's first
      successful orbital vehicle, and an ascent of Cori Celeste. Paul has already
      designed the mission patch for the spaceflight...

      "Carrot, Leonard of Quirm and Rincewind all have starring roles, as does
      Cohen the Barbarian and his Horde. And one or two new characters, too.
      I'm not going to give away the plot!

      "Currently there's a 35,000 word working draft, which will get tinkered with
      over the next year as Paul's illustrations are finished."

      -- Aaron Pawson, aaron.pawson@...

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) TERRY PRATCHETT’S BROMELIAD TRILOGY TO
      BE COMPUTER ANIMATED FOR DREAMWORKS

      DreamWorks has acquired the film and television rights to Terry
      Pratchett’s best-selling fantasy novels Truckers, Diggers and Wings,
      known collectively as the Bromeliad trilogy, it was announced by
      DreamWorks principal Jeffrey Katzenberg. Truckers will be the first
      to be turned into a computer animated feature, under the direction of
      Andrew Adamson, who co-directed DreamWorks’ upcoming computer
      animated comedy, “Shrek.” Adamson is again collaborating with the
      co-writer of “Shrek,” Joe Stillman, with whom he is adapting the
      screenplay for “Truckers.”

      The books follow the adventures of a group of nomes* living in a
      department store. When their home is demolished, the nomes
      venture into the outside world for the first time and discover their
      true, alien origins.

      In making the announcement, Katzenberg said, “There are few
      authors whose work lends itself to animation as well as Terry
      Pratchett’s. His Bromeliad trilogy is a wonderful blend of fantasy,
      adventure and humor and I am honored to be able to bring all
      three books to the screen, beginning with Truckers. Andrew
      Adamson is the perfect choice to direct this project. He brought
      an extraordinary level of ingenuity and enthusiasm to the
      production of ‘Shrek,’ and I am thrilled to have an opportunity to
      work with both him and Joe Stillman again.”

      Adamson added, “Terry Pratchett is an incredibly clever and
      imaginative writer, and I was drawn into the world of The
      Bromeliad. It’s a story that lends itself extremely well to being
      a film, and I immediately wanted to be a part of its telling.”

      Commenting on why he chose DreamWorks to bring his novels
      to the big screen, Pratchett noted, “I liked ‘Chicken Run’ and
      ‘Galaxy Quest,’ and you've got to be impressed when a guy
      phones up from Hollywood one night and turns up for lunch in
      Wiltshire, England the very next day.”

      # # #
      *Note: Though nomes is traditionally spelled “gnomes,”
      Pratchett intentionally spells the word without the “g.”

      -- Colin P. Smythe
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) GOOD OMENS

      Terry Gilliam has told a correspondent for AINT | IT | COOL | NEWS:
      "Tony [Grisoni] and I may have actually finished a sufficiently good
      enough draft of Good Omens to start moving forward with the
      business of making it." So far no casting news has been announced.

      -- Colin P. Smythe

      4) EDUCATION ON THE DISCWORLD

      For fans in the Derby area: Janet Goodall is giving a lecture on
      Education in the Discworld at the Derby Tertiary College, Wilmorton,
      Derby, at 7.30pm on 5 June. The main subject of the lecture is
      adult education: how this works out on the Discworld is a way of
      illustrating specific ideas to do with eduction, pedagogy and
      androgogy ('the teaching of adults', for those like me who have
      never heard the term before). The general public are welcome,
      admission free, of course.

      -- Colin P. Smythe
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      5) COVERS THAT SELL

      Vannesa Felis wrItes:

      My sister said that someone asked Terry about the nasty
      new US covers ... and HE said that believe it or not those ones
      we all HATE, sell more then the old DS and the Kirby covers
      combined, or at least that's what his publishers tell him.

      To which Steven D'Aprano replies:

      Well, no wonder. Just think about it: The Darryl Sweet covers
      had to sell PTerry books when nobody in the US had heard
      about him. But now that PTerry is well known and famous
      and has millions of adoring fans who line up for days in the
      snow to buy one of his books, the publishers could hire a
      three year old child to draw the covers and they would
      still sell.

      The publisher's argument is like saying that football fans
      prefer to pay higher ticket prices, because more people go
      to the football today than did 100 years ago when prices
      were lower, says Steve.

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      6) UK AMATEUR FILM MAKERS HOLD AUDITIONS

      There is a movie being organised by the lot over
      on alt.fan.pratchett

      They are planning to film MASKERADE this summer
      and there are auditions in Nottingham (there have
      been various ones elsewhere) June 16th. Anyone
      who wants more details can mail me if they want.

      There's a website for it at http://www.maskerade.org.uk
      I think the plan is to show it at 2002: A Discworld Odyssey.

      -- Needle Keller, luna_watch@...