WOSSNAME -- March 2010 -- Part 2 of 4

  • granny_tude
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2010
      WOSSNAME -- MARCH 2010 -- PART 2 OF 4 (continued)

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, REVIEWS AND SUCH

      10) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      11) NEW DISCWORLD MINIATURES FROM PJSM PRINTS
      12) CONVENTION NEWS
      13) NATION REVIEWED BY A HIGH SCHOOL JOURNALIST
      14) AUTHOR APPRECIATION: TERRY PRATCHETT
      15) PAUL KIDBY INTERVIEW
      16) IMAGES OF THE MONTH: LEGO DISCWORLD
      17) NEW DISCWORLD FIGURINES
      18) LIBRARIANS LOVE THE LIBRARIAN
      19) "YOUNG ADULT" LITERATURE, NOW FOR ALL AGES
      20) HELP YOUR LOCAL (NOT) LIBRARIAN...

      10.1 UNSEEN ACADEMICALS IN ADELAIDE, FOURECKS

      Sir Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals
      Original adaptation by Stephen Briggs.
      Re-worked and Directed for Unseen Theatre Company by Pamela Munt

      We all know that man cannot survive on bread alone -- unless of
      course he is Lord Havelock Vetinari, Patrician of Ankh-Morpork.
      Vetinari usually dines on bread and water followed by the oil that
      makes the city of Ankh-Morpork run smoothly. In this year of the
      Pensive Hare, people were getting bored, and the oil was wearing a
      bit thin. It was threatening to spread out of control via the
      vicious street game of foot-the-ball that the people were turning to
      for their amusement. A game that they believed was more exciting
      than beating other people over the head with big weapons.

      Football -- like diplomacy and marriage. Short periods of fighting
      followed by long periods of negotiation.

      "We play and are played and the best we can hope for is to do it
      with style."

      The important thing about football -- is that it is not just about
      football.

      Here we go! Here we go! Here we go!

      WHEN: Preview Friday April 9th, Opening Night Sat. April 10th.
      Season continues Wed to Sat until April 24. (all shows at 8pm)
      WHERE: The Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide.
      TIX: Adults $18, Conc $15, Groups (10+) $14, Fringe Benefits $14
      (FREE TIX NIGHT for holders of Health Cards or the equivalent Friday
      9th April)
      BOOKINGS: www.bakehousetheatre.com (no booking fee for on-line
      bookings) or phone 82270505 ($2 per ticket booking fee applies)

      www.unseen.com.au

      10.2 MASKERADE IN HOLBURY

      Waterside Theatre Company will present their production of Maskerade
      in May. The company, based at Holbury near Southampton in Hampshire,
      have already staged three other Pratchett/Briggs Discworld plays and
      won awards for all three.

      When: 20th - 22nd May 2010
      Venue: Waterside Theatre, Holbury

      For more information, go to:
      http://www.watersidetheatrecompany.talktalk.net/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) NEW DISCWORLD MINIATURES FROM PJSM PRINTS

      PJSM Prints announces:

      New! The Three Witches

      These are 30mm scale, high quality, metal cast miniatures of Granny
      Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg & Magrat aloft. The kit will require
      preparation, assembly and painting. Provided with 30mm premium
      plastic round bases. £27.50

      Note: the three Lancre Witches are available separately: Granny
      Weatherwax on a Broomstick, Nanny Ogg on a Broomstick, Magrat on a
      Broomstick -- each £9.50

      Also available, other miniatures including: Foul Ole Ron & Gaspode
      £8.00, Duck Man £7.50, Coffin Henry £7.50, Arnold Sideways
      £7.50, Captain Carrot £8.00, Angua von Uberwald £7.50, Granny at
      the Opera £8.00, Giamo Casanunda £8.00

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/miniatures/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) CONVENTION NEWS

      DWCON 2010 UPDATES

      Sold Out!

      A few days ago we mentioned the con was selling out fast. There's a
      fairly predictable kind of reaction when this kind of announcement
      is made and now we've signed up member number A900! Just to remind
      you all, we're still over five months from the con! The Concom and I
      are so very happy that so many of you will be coming to the con in
      August, old members and new and we hope that the biggest ever
      Discworld Convention will also be the best!

      If you've missed the last membership then there is still hope! Our
      wonderful membership team have already started to compile a waiting
      list and if memberships become available they will be offered to
      this list in order. In addition, memberships can be exchanged
      between individuals (as long as membership@... is kept up to
      date!) and it's always worth checking out our Facebook page, LJ
      community and mailing list for such opportunities.

      As always, if you have any queries about membership then the
      quickest way to get an answer is to mail membership@....

      Thanks,
      Brian
      Chairman, Discworld Convention 2010

      Hotel news

      Important announcement from the Hotel team There are no more double
      rooms to be had in the hotel for the weekend of the Convention. Nil,
      nada, zilch, not one. In round figures, zero. There are a few twin
      rooms left, still, and "plenty of singles".

      Introducing Rob Wilkins

      The ConCom are delighted to announce Rob Wilkins as a guest at
      Discworld Convention 2010. Rob Wilkins has been Sir Terry's PA for
      some years, lurking in the shadows with clipboard and a friendly
      smile. You may have seen him in such places as "the bar" and
      "hanging around Terry with a drink". Rob has now been elevated from
      trusty sidekick status and sometime member of the Convention
      Committee, his public awaits.

      Rob will be taking part in programme items and being stunt reader
      for Sir Terry (a part previously played in the Dimbleby lecture by
      Tony Robinson) so Rob has no small task to perform just in reading
      bedtime stories. Is he up to the challenge? Can he find his way back
      to the bar? Will the mightily bearded Bernard Pearson waylay him
      with talk of stamps? Time will tell...

      Momentous Times

      (from the office of the Cunning Artificer) Hear Ye, Hear Ye!
      Yesterday Discworld Emporiums own Bernard Pearson was fairly (ish)
      and democratically (sort of) elected, by a landslide, to the office
      of town councillor for Wincanton, which we all know is twinned with
      Ankh-Morpork. He is currently mobilising the proletariat and
      organising an invasion of nearby pubs. He later looks forward to
      strengthening ties and reaffirming bonds with our twin town. Huzzah!

      Hotel Upgrade and Gala Dinner

      Hotel Upgrade News Champagne tastes but beer budget? Want to spend
      the Convention in the lap of luxury? Then look no further. We can
      now confirm that it is possible to upgrade* your hotel room booking
      for the Discworld Convention 2010. Prices based on an existing
      standard booking, prices are are per ROOM/SUITE not person and are
      in addition to the standard room rate.

      Upgrade to an Executive room £50 per night
      Upgrade to a Junior suite £130 per night
      Upgrade to Kings/Deluxe suite £180 per night
      Or our final special offer with only one available Penthouse suite
      £250 per night

      Limited availability, first come first served. To take advantage of
      this special offer email hotel@... with your original booking
      details, membership number and the upgrade you would like to
      request. If you require a double/twin room for single occupancy
      please email hotel@... for availability. Rooms charged at
      £100 per night.

      *You must have already made a room booking before upgrading

      Gala Dinner Update

      It's a tough job but somebody has to do it. Your dedicated Gala
      dinner team will be making their way to sunny Birmingham on Monday
      8th March to complete the arduous task of tasting all of the options
      for the Gala dinner menu. If you want to keep tabs on what they are
      up to tune to the @dwcon twitter feed. Details on the gala dinner
      will be announced over Easter

      https://www.dwcon.org/news

      Convention Souvenir

      A Convention souvenir now being offered for sale with our full
      approval, by Mr Barrie Wakeford. It is silver, approximately 1" in
      diameter, available as a pin or a pendant, and priced at £30.
      Barrie will donate £5 of each sale to the Convention charities. It
      should be self-evident what an absolute bargain this is. You can
      read a little more about it at
      https://www.dwcon.org/content/conpiece

      To buy it, visit Barrie's site, Crystal Connections:
      http://tinyurl.com/yapu2wn

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) NATION REVIEWED BY A HIGH SCHOOL JOURNALIST

      On the My High School Journalism site, Marlena Deluna reviews
      Nation:

      "The book, though dark, is dark in its own humorous way; and though
      the subject matter is mature, it isn't too mature for the younger
      audiences who wish to challenge themselves with a novel probably
      slightly longer than they are used to reading. This kind of age
      diversity is unique to Pratchett novels, and may be one of the best
      qualities of his books..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ye9l7zl

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) AUTHOR APPRECIATION: TERRY PRATCHETT

      An essay by Becky Levine in a series of "author appreciation week"
      blogs:

      "If you go to the bookstore and ask for directions to the Terry
      Pratchett books, you're likely to be sent to at least two, of not
      more, sections. Some will be in the science-fiction/fantasy world,
      some will be on the new-book shelves, and some will definitely be in
      the YA section. Which means that, when you're shopping for the two
      or three of his books that your fourteen-year-old son hasn't read
      yet, you know to hunt through the whole store.

      "And that's why I appreciate Terry Pratchett. Because while I
      would guess he doesn't think too much about who he's writing
      for, I *know* that he's writing for my son. Okay, and for me. And
      my husband. All three of us laugh out loud—really loud -- at the
      same passages. And, yes, we all try and do the thick brogue when we
      imitate Rob Anybody or another of the wee free men. Obviously, I
      love Pratchett's comedy and would read his books time and time
      again if only for the brilliance of his humor. What I love most
      about his books, though, is the characters..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ybm4utq

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) PAUL KIDBY INTERVIEW

      A very recent interview from Inside the Artist's Studio with
      Discworld artist Paul Kidby:

      "Working for Terry has been a wonderful opportunity to flex my
      imagination and develop my skills as an illustrator. I don't work
      with him as closely as I used to and it's been a while since I
      produced any significant body of `Discworld' work, but I am
      grateful for the opportunities he gave me... I think my `big
      break' was being commissioned to produce the artwork for 'The Last
      Hero'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ycaasbj

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) IMAGES OF THE MONTH: LEGO DISCWORLD

      An entire page of Discworld scenes recreated in Lego by Captain
      Smog:

      http://tinyurl.com/p2plkf

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) NEW DISCWORLD FIGURINES

      Miniatures blogger Tianna Starfall shows two new figurines by Kul
      Asyrk that will be manufactured for the ongoing Micro Arts
      Discworld collection: Detritus with his Piecemaker, and Death on his
      Soul Music motorcycle (new pose). The detail work is astonishing:

      http://tinyurl.com/ydbfdhl

      For more of Kul Asyrk's work, go to:

      http://kulasyrk.blogspot.com/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) LIBRARIANS LOVE THE LIBRARIAN

      "Librarians have a bit of a reputation to live up to. We expect them
      to be kind and resourceful. Well-read. Soft-spoken. These days, the
      bun and glasses are optional, but if you ask us, still fun in a
      kitschy way. But have you ever wondered what real librarians think
      an ideal librarian should be like?"

      Librarian Emily Nichols most admires The Librarian: "I have adopted
      a mute animal expression in many reference interviews hoping to
      elicit the complete query from a patron while using only the word
      'ook?'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/yhtckl7

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) "YOUNG ADULT" LITERATURE, NOW FOR ALL AGES

      From the LA Times:

      "But increasingly, adults are reading YA books with no ulterior
      motives. Attracted by well-written, fast-paced and engaging stories
      that span the gamut of genres and subjects, such readers have
      mainstreamed a niche long derided as just for kids... Add the
      growing number of movies made from kids' books, such as "The
      Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" and "Percy Jackson & the
      Olympians: The Lightning Thief," as well as all the successful adult
      authors -- James Patterson, Carl Hiaasen, Francine Prose and Terry
      Pratchett -- now writing for younger readers, and you've got a
      phenomenon 'that extends beyond the gatekeepers who want to know
      what their kids are getting into'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/yzwg8kc

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) HELP YOUR LOCAL (NOT) LIBRARIAN...

      New Bruce of BU has some important information about helping
      orangutans:

      Melbourne Zoo is preparing a submission to go to Food Standards
      Australia New Zealand asking for mandatory palm oil labelling on all
      food products -- show your support by signing their petition here:

      http://www.zoo.org.au/palmoil

      Please support their initiative to improve labelling so people can
      make informed choices about purchasing products containing palm oil
      to avoid supporting an industry that is pushing Orangutans closer
      and closer to extinction.

      If you did not get all four parts, write: interact@...