WOSSNAME -- March 2010 -- Part 1 of 4

  • granny_tude
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2010
      MARCH 2010 (Volume 13, Issue 3)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      01) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE (ACTING) EDITOR
      03) UPDATE FROM THE MASTER
      04) TELLING STORIES ABOUT MYSTERIOUS ART
      05) NATION NEWS AND REVIEWS
      06) GOING, GOING...POSTAL!
      07) A SHORT HISTORY OF...PTERRY'S BOOK CHOICE
      08) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      09) SFX READER TOP 25 POLL: LOTS OF PRATCHETT

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, REVIEWS AND SUCH

      10) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      11) NEW DISCWORLD MINIATURES FROM PJSM PRINTS
      12) CONVENTION NEWS
      13) NATION REVIEWED BY A HIGH SCHOOL JOURNALIST
      14) AUTHOR APPRECIATION: TERRY PRATCHETT
      15) PAUL KIDBY INTERVIEW
      16) IMAGES OF THE MONTH: LEGO DISCWORLD
      17) NEW DISCWORLD FIGURINES
      18) LIBRARIANS LOVE THE LIBRARIAN
      19) "YOUNG ADULT" LITERATURE, NOW FOR ALL AGES
      20) HELP YOUR LOCAL (NOT) LIBRARIAN...

      ====Part 3 -- BU NEWSROUND, REVIEW, AND HOROSCOPE

      21) AROUND THE BU CAMPUS
      22) REVIEW: UNSEEN ACADEMICALS
      23) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE MAR > AUG

      ====Part 4 -- HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED, AND CLOSE

      24) HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED AUG > MAR

      01) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "There's nothing we like better than a good mystery... as we have
      no substantial biographical details, and those we do have do not
      conform to the image of 'our immortal Bard' Shakespeare, a close
      study of the works will reveal the 'real' author. Naturally, they
      sculpted conflicting images. Perhaps in 400 years, we'll be
      analysing the Discworld novels to discover the 'real' Pratchett."

      -- James Shapiro in The Independent, 28 March 2010

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) LETTER FROM THE (ACTING) EDITOR

      There are few things more divisive among Discworld fans than the
      late Josh Kirby's artwork. I know fans who avoided Discworld for
      years because they were so put off by the cover art. Lumpy trolls,
      misshapen proportions, ugly witches and hideous wizards with
      impossibly pointy noses. I think somebody told Kirby to model the
      art on the worst, most clumsily-made Punch and Judy dolls. Which is
      a shame, because Kirby was capable of art which was far less gut-
      wrenchingly misshapen.

      I find Kirby's Discworld work very visually striking, but then so
      are the stars you see when somebody punches you in the eye. It
      might draw your eye, but it isn't exactly something you want to see
      all the time. I don't *dislike* Kirby's Discworld work, although I
      know many people who do, but I couldn't imagine myself buying a
      graphic novel done in that style.

      Personally, I think that Paul Kidby has absolutely nailed the
      Discworld. His artwork *is* the Discworld, in my mind. Stephen
      Player is also very good: I'm looking at his portrait of Nanny Ogg,
      Granny Weatherwax and Magrat Garlick as I write this, and while his
      Granny and Nanny aren't precisely the same as I imagined them,
      they're excellent. And he has perfectly captured the frizzled-hair,
      slightly-worried wet hen look of Magrat. Graham Higgins (illustrator
      on the Guards Guards graphic novel) and Melvyn Grant (Where's My
      Cow?) are also very good.

      They all have different styles. I'd hate to say who is "better",
      although I like Kidby's work more.

      -- Steven D'Aprano, Acting Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) A LETTER FROM THE MASTER

      Folks,

      The Museum of Curiosity is a half hour Radio 4 panel show hosted by
      John Lloyd and Jon Richardson, scheduled for transmission for 6
      weeks from Monday 10th May 2010, repeated on Sundays.

      Each week they're joined by 3 different guest panellists - a mix
      of entertaining experts and expert entertainers.

      The first recording is at the Pleasance Theatre, Islington on Monday
      8th March from 7.00pm and I shall be the first guest - this has been
      known to take up to 2 hours, is rarely less than 1 hour 15 and
      they've had no complaints thus far. The recording takes place in
      front of a live audience and although we procured an allocation of
      seats for my trusty fans, this was allocated in a matter of minutes.

      If you were lucky enough to get tickets, please bear in mind the
      following;

      DO NOT CONTACT US regarding your travel.

      DO NOT CONTACT US regarding your accomodations.

      DO NOT CONTACT US regarding places to eat.

      DO NOT CONTACT US about the search for ultimate beauty and truth.

      DO NOT CONTACT US if your name is Dominic Lawson :)

      However, best wishes - it should be fun.

      (signed) Terry Pratchett

      The original message can be viewed at PJSM Prints:
      http://www.pjsmprints.com/news/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) TELLING STORIES ABOUT MYSTERIOUS ART

      Terry Pratchett was one of seven top authors asked by the National
      Portrait Gallery to create an imaginary backstory for a collection
      of 16th and 17th century portraits of unknown subjects.

      "There is some light relief in a story fantasy writer Terry
      Pratchett creates around a hopeless seafarer called Joshua Easement,
      who presents Queen Elizabeth with a 'marvellous and intriguing
      animal' from the Americas... Tarnya Cooper, curator of 16th century
      collections at the National Portrait Gallery, said the writers had
      done something 'incredible'. 'They have looked into a portrait
      without knowing anything about it and judged from a gesture, from
      costume, from the look in someone's eyes what might be going on in
      their lives...'"

      http://tinyurl.com/ygzhzv6
      http://tinyurl.com/y9ywy9m

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) NATION NEWS AND REVIEWS

      5.1 Blogger A Cuban in London reviews Nation live at the National
      Theatre:

      "Though I bought the book at the theatre, I have yet to read it so
      this review is mainly focused on the play. As a spectator, I found
      it to be teeming with several themes, subtly presented... Above all,
      'Nation' is a play that moves easily between humour and tragedy and
      does so with quality and panache. This is down, for the most part,
      to excellent performances and a superb mise en scene: a rotating
      stage that allows multiple settings, an ingenious use of new media,
      imaginative props (the vultures and the giant boar are spectacular)
      and live music. In the leading roles both Gary Carr (Mau) and Emily
      Taaffe (Daphne) stand out..."

      http://cubaninlondon.blogspot.com/2010/03/nation-review.html

      5.2 NATION: THE GAME

      You too can build a Nation:

      http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/microsite/nation/game/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      06) GOING, GOING...POSTAL!

      The Sky TV broadcast of adaptation of Going Postal is only a few
      weeks away now...about seven plus one weeks in fact.

      Lisa McGarry at Unreality TV:

      "Following the critical and ratings success of Sir Terry
      Pratchett's Hogfather and The Colour of Magic, Sky1 HD and Sky1
      now brings GOING POSTAL to spectacular life. One of Sir Terry
      Pratchett's most popular Discworld novels, GOING POSTAL is a
      lavish two part adaptation exclusive to Sky1 HD and Sky1
      transmitting at the end of May 2010... GOING POSTAL features an all
      star British cast that includes Richard Coyle (Prince of Persia,
      Coupling) as Moist Von Lipwig, David Suchet (Agatha Christie's
      Poirot) as Reacher Gilt, Charles Dance (Gosford Park, Bleak House)
      as Lord Vetinari, and Claire Foy (Little Dorrit) as Adora Belle
      Dearheart. Joining them are Steve Pemberton (The League of
      Gentlemen, Psychoville) as Drumknott, Andrew Sachs (Fawlty Towers)
      as Groat, Timothy West (Bleak House, Brass), Ian Bonar as Stanley,
      and Tamsin Greig (Green Wing, Black Books) as Miss Cripslock..."

      http://tinyurl.com/y8f3kyb

      Jessica Martin at SF Crow's Nest:

      "Following the TV adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Hogfather and
      The Colour of Magic, the next Discworld film to be produced will be
      based on El Tel's novel Going Postal. Going Postal will be a two
      part adaptation showing on Sky's cable service late May 2010. For
      those who have yet to have the pleasure of reading this novel, Going
      Postal is the story of arch-swindler Moist Von Lipwig and the
      vengeful Adora Belle Dearheart. A travelling con-artist, Lipwig's
      crimes finally catch up with him in the town of Ankh-Morpork..."

      http://tinyurl.com/y8abpzz

      Also in TV Guide UK, featuring a small but exciting-looking
      photograph from a scene in Going Postal:

      http://blog.tvguide.co.uk/?p=812

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      07) A SHORT HISTORY OF... PTERRY'S BOOK CHOICE

      In a survey to mark World Book Day, Pterry was asked by Sky Arts'
      The Book Show to name his favourite book of the past decade. His
      pick: Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything.

      To read the Guardian article which includes a list of all the
      authors surveyed and the books they chose, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/yd6qmng

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      8.1 FIRST RECIPIENT OF PRATCHETT ALZHEIMER'S AWARD ANNOUNCED

      The Sir Terry Pratchett Fellowship has recognised Dr Tara Caffrey
      from Oxford University as its first recipient. Dr Caffrey, who is
      researching the Alzheimer's-related tau protein, will receive a
      glass award inscribed with a single word chosen by Sir Terry:
      "Strive!"

      "Speaking in advance of the presentation, Dr Tara Caffrey said:
      'Dementia touches so many lives and without any cure, I feel
      increased research is essential. Sir Terry is doing fantastic work
      to promote understanding of Alzheimer's and increase research
      funding. I am proud to receive an award in his name for my own
      efforts in dementia research - this amazing recognition is the icing
      on the cake.'"

      http://tinyurl.com/yc44t45

      8.2 ART FOR ALZHEIMER'S

      "Art student, Emily Stevens, was so inspired by Terry Pratchett's
      David Dimbleby lecture that she is to auction her painting 'The Face
      of Alzheimer's'. 'In May 2009 I created it as part of my college
      course for the theme of 'Traces, Memory and History'. It's based on
      my discoveries and research into Alzheimer's and dementia. My mother
      and her friend work in a home and I believe her work and Terry
      Pratchett's recent lecture have inspired me to organise a
      fundraiser. I am planning on hosting a charity fundraiser, that will
      include an auction of my painting and hope to inspire other artists
      to get involved so we can raise funds for people with dementia...'"

      Emily can be contacted at http://faceofalzheimers.tumblr.com/

      http://tinyurl.com/ye6xyar

      8.3 NEW GUIDELINES FOR ASSISTED DYING IN UK

      Article in The Economist:

      "On February 25th Keir Starmer, the director of public prosecutions,
      published guidelines setting out the conditions under which those
      who help them might escape prosecution. Although committing suicide
      was decriminalised in 1961, helping someone commit it is illegal in
      England and Wales. The law requires the director of public
      prosecutions to use his discretion in deciding whether to bring such
      cases to trial... If a person is able to make an informed decision
      and has indicated that he wants to die, and if the person who helps
      him is motivated wholly by compassion, prosecution would not seem
      indicated, even if the helper then inherits the family home..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ybdu72r

      09) SFX READER TOP 25 POLL: LOTS OF PRATCHETT

      Night Watch, Guards! Guards!, Wyrd Sisters and Good Omens, took four
      places on the top 25 science fiction and fantasy books in SFX
      Magazine's new reader poll.

      http://tinyurl.com/yjbpxcf
      http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/03/12/top-25-sfx-books/

      If you did not get all four parts, write: interact@...