WOSSNAME -- November 2009 -- Part 5 of 5

  • granny_tude
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2009
      WOSSNAME -- NOVEMBER 2009 -- PART 5 OF 5 (continued)

      ====Part 5 -- LATE BREAKING NEWS, CLOSE

      29) LATE BREAKING NEWS

      29) LATE BREAKING NEWS

      29.1 IF NOT YOU, THEN...

      The first six songs from Only You Can Save Mankind: the Musical are
      now available to purchase as downloads. Official online release of
      the entire musical is 23rd November 2009; CD release will be on 2nd
      December 2009.

      To buy from iTunes:
      http://tinyurl.com/ya2xof8

      To buy from DittoMusic:
      http://www.dittomusic.dloadshop.com/shop.asp?artistid=591
      or http://tinyurl.com/yb6wj3k

      Remember, the producers are donating 10% of the profits from sales
      to the Alzheimer's Research Trust.

      http://www.ifnotyouthenwho.com/

      29.2 MORE REVIEWS OF UNSEEN ACADEMICALS...

      Classics doctoral student and Discworld fan Juliette Harrisson
      reviews Unseen Academicals with an eye to Roundworld-based classical
      references. This is an interesting but very spoilery piece, so I
      won't mention *which* references...

      "I liked this book a lot - not up there with the absolute best of
      Discworld, but definitely one of the good 'uns. I especially loved
      how 'real' many of the characters felt - as if you expect to see
      them walking down the street before the next football match..."

      http://tinyurl.com/yehqgxz

      Sci-fi London reviews Unseen Academicals:

      "Despite the ever-presents in the cast, Lord Vetinari and Arch
      Chancellor Ridcully among them, Pratchett never forgets that they
      need to grow and learn with each book and because he treats the new
      characters as well as the old stagers they are all fully rounded and
      realised and you care about them from the first page. Another
      amazing thing for me was how he absolutely gets what football is
      about - for the fans and the players - and I might just eat one of
      his hats if he turns out to be a lifelong fan 'cos he just doesn't
      strike me as one. But then that's the beauty of his books, they fool
      you again and again. Just when you think you know what's coming
      he'll surprise you with something out-of left-field and it's those
      delightful moments that keep the fans coming..."

      http://tinyurl.com/yfdn84s

      29.3 GOOD OMENS: STILL A CONTENDER

      Terry Gilliam, interviewed on Fearnet, says the mooted film of Good
      Omens could still happen:

      "It's still sitting out there. It needs a lot of money though..."

      http://tinyurl.com/yk4nc7p

      29.4 ...AND THE PARROT STOLE THE SHOW

      A blog review by Culture Witch of the Nation at the NT preview
      performance:

      "Melly Still and Mark Friend have done a great job of making the NT
      stage into a tsunami wrecked tropical island that's believable,
      and Mark Ravenhill has adapted Terry Pratchett's Nation in an
      imaginative way... The novel has been changed a little, but I
      surprised myself by being surprised at how touching the end is.
      While providing entertainment and fun, Nation also gives us
      something to think about..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ybnq2ja

      29.5 DRUMMERS DOWN UNDER SYDNEY MEET-UP

      There's now a Broken Drummers group in Fourecks! Drummers Down Under
      are based in Sydney and will be meeting on the first Monday of every
      month for chatter, cheer and possibly scumble, or at least
      EcksEcksEcksEcksian beer, at Maloneys (situated at the corner of
      Pitt and Goulburn, for you Jograffy-canny Sinneysiders). The next
      meet-up will be at seven p.m. on Monday 7th December, and Lauren,
      who is in charge of drumming up the Drummers, assures me that "there
      will probably be some Hogswatchery organised" for the evening.

      If you want to know more about the Drummers Down Under, or have
      questions about, say, how the Hogfather manages to fit down the
      average Fourecksian split-system air conditioner on Hogswatchnight
      or where the best pubs in Didjabringabeeralong are, email Lauren:
      simlauren (at) hotmail (dot) com.

      30) AND IT'S GOODNIGHT FROM...

      ...a very tired Editor. Huge thanks as always to the Newshound Gang
      and the inimitable Colin Smythe. See you next month for a (we hope)
      bumper Hogswatch issue! And then it's January holiday time for me...

      -- Annie Mac

      End of Part 5.