WOSSNAME -- October 2009 -- Part 1 of 4

  • granny_tude
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2009
      OCTOBER 2009 (Volume 12, Issue 10)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) UPDATE FROM THE MASTER
      4) REVIEWS OF UNSEEN ACADEMICALS
      5) BEHIND THE SCENES: THE STAGING OF NATION
      6) CALLING YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS: HOW WOULD *YOU* ADAPT NATION?
      7) PTERRY INTERVIEW: VOICE AMERICA'S AUTHOR HOUR
      8) NATION: THE BIG REVIEW
      9) YOUNG CRITICS' VIEWS ON NATION
      10) DISCUSSING DISCWORLD AT THE LIBRARY

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, PLAYS, ODDS AND SODS

      11) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      12) CONVENTION NEWS
      13) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      14) THE MASTER, AS AN APPRENTICE

      ====Part 3 -- MORE ODDS AND SODS, ETC.

      15) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      16) ACTION REPLAY: A COLLEGIATE CASTING-OUT
      17) A BREW FIT FOR A...TURTLE
      18) ...AND A HEDGEHOG WHO *COULD* BE...UM...
      19) GOING POSTAL TELEFILM: NOT JUST FOR DISCWORLD FANS
      20) A BLOG REVIEW OF UNSEEN ACADEMICALS
      21) READERS' LETTERS
      22) AN AMATEUR REVIEWER WORTH MENTIONING
      23) ABP BITS

      ====Part 4 -- HOROSCOPE AND CLOSE

      24) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      1) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "It's bully on for the next book. It's always bully on for the next
      book."

      "Fantasy is the oldest genre of them all."

      -- Pterry, interviewed on Voice America

      Everything's all about football this month. Even Fernando, our
      resident astrologer, is all about football this month. It's more
      than just a game, you know...of course, there are *some* things that
      aren't about football, such as the run-up to the opening of Nation
      at the National Theatre, the various Hogswatch-themed Halloween
      parties taking place among Discworld fans, the first Irish Discworld
      convention, and, oh yes, your Editor's birthday. So this will be a
      very short message. And now it's the end of a very short message.

      On with the show!

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) UPDATE FROM THE MASTER

      Folks,

      I had a lovely letter the other day from very religious lady
      concerned about my health. She said that I should consider my
      Alzheimer's a gift from God. Frankly, I would have preferred a
      sweater...

      Coming back from the North American Discworld Convention has hardly
      been a rest and so my own personal con report and additional thanks
      has had to be delayed. More on that later.

      On the up side, the progress on I Shall Wear Midnight is rapid,
      thanks to Dragon Dictate and rather more to the guys at TalkingPoint
      -- the front end that makes it much easier to use -- who made
      contact with me through this very page. I'm so impressed by it,
      that if my typing ability came back overnight, I would continue to
      use it. I have no hesitation in praising the product as I have
      already paid for two licenses and a year's maintenance. Anyway, we
      have to do this stuff otherwise what was the point of Star Trek?

      The next few weeks are pretty well stuffed with things to do
      regarding Unseen Academicals and the celebration football match in
      Wincanton at which I shall break my life long vow of never watching
      a game of football.

      The next big public thing in our diary is the Irish Discworld
      convention, which takes in the Falls Hotel in Ennistymon Co. Clare
      from the 6th to 9th November.

      More later,

      (signed) Terry Pratchett

      Editor's note: the original of this letter can be found at:

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/news/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) REVIEWS OF UNSEEN ACADEMICALS

      WARNING TO WOSSNAME READERS: Some of these reviews contain rather a
      lot of spoilage. Just saying... -- Ed.

      In The Telegraph:

      "This is the 37th in a body of work so vast that it has spawned its
      own concordance, yet the quality remains as high as ever and the
      laughs as plentiful... You can't call what Pratchett does satire --
      it's far too good-natured for that -- but he has a satirist's
      instinct for the absurd and a cartoonist's eye for the telling
      detail..."

      http://tinyurl.com/yzxlpa5

      In Den of Geek:

      "It's difficult to summarise Pratchett's book because, as ever, it
      is so rich and complex that you're bound to omit most of the plot
      points; it is impossible to sum up any Discworld novel in a broad
      sweep because Pratchett crams into one paragraph enough material and
      jokes to create an entirely new book. Having said that, these Ankh-
      Morpork-based storylines tend to follow similar and simple themes...
      If I were to criticise the book at all, it would be that some of his
      characters, Ridcully, Nutt, Vetinari are so successfully crafted and
      so rounded that they actually eclipse the others... I began reading
      the book convinced I was going to be preoccupied by the knowledge of
      Pratchett's illness, trying to detect a change or simplification of
      writing style, or a deterioration in the intricacy of the humour.
      It's an appalling approach to take when starting a book, but given
      the fact the Pratchett has become the face of Alzheimer's disease it
      was, for me, unavoidable. This lasted for the first twelve pages
      after which I realised that Unseen Academicals was going to continue
      the trend that I have felt when reading Pratchett's books, that his
      novels are actually getting better..."

      http://tinyurl.com/yhjwtr7

      In The Guardian:

      "The secret of Terry Pratchett's comic fantasy isn't so much the
      wackiness of the fantasy as the reliability of the comedy. The very
      least you get in any of these 400 pages is amiable, agreeable
      chuntering, and there is an instructively regular provision of
      terrific lines... There's equally effective quality control of the
      comic riffs – as when Stibbons replies with exhaustive honesty
      when Ridcully asks what the wizards need to learn about football...
      Thirty-seven books in and with sales now topping 60m, Discworld is
      still going strong. That would be remarkable enough, were its author
      not also now writing against the loudly ticking clock of his
      Alzheimer's diagnosis last year – and doing so with undimmed,
      triumphant exuberance..."

      http://tinyurl.com/yhmw5xn

      In The Independent:

      "His universe is as fresh and arch as it always was; all the more
      impressive considering that Pratchett has now sold almost 10 million
      books in the UK, generating more than £70m in revenue. He has now
      either written, co-written or been creatively associated (including
      high-profile collaborations with Neil Gaiman, another literary
      sorcerer) with 100 books. While the majority are based in Discworld,
      there is also a highly successful range of tomes for children...
      you'd have thought that, by now, Pratchett would be running out of
      ideas; thankfully, however, the universe he created 25 years ago
      just keeps on giving..."

      (Also includes a short review of the Pratchett-illustrated edition
      of The Carper People)

      http://tinyurl.com/yf9l6tj

      On the Tor Books website:

      "Humorous but thoughtful, Unseen Academicals combines early
      Pratchett at his lightest (Pyramids, Moving Pictures, Guards!
      Guards!) with late Pratchett at his heaviest (Monstrous Regiment,
      Night Watch, Thud!), resulting in an easy read with a heavy
      afterthought... Unseen Academicals is a solid entry in the Discworld
      series. Pratchett is a social satirist at heart, even if he puts
      werewolves and the occasional dragon in, and there are few better."

      http://tinyurl.com/yfzrkb8

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) BEHIND THE SCENES: THE STAGING OF NATION

      Here be a glimpse of the nuts and bolts of translating Nation's
      wonders and horrors into the National Theatre's stage production of
      Mark Ravenhill's adaptation, seen in theatre company member Elaine
      Claxton's video diaries on the NT website. Did you know there's
      going to be music? Spine-tingling vocal music, inspired by the
      exquisite sounds of Pacific Islander songs by the sound of it! We
      also get a look at the way the great storm, and the Sweet Judy
      riding the tsunami, will be depicted. It looks like it's going to be
      truly magical.

      Do bookmark the page, as additional video diaries will be added in
      the run-up to the show's premiere.

      http://tinyurl.com/yzqmkb2

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) CALLING YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS: HOW WOULD *YOU* ADAPT NATION?

      Mark Ravenhill, the man behind the National Theatre's production of
      Nation (which opens in London very, very soon!), is looking actively
      for some competition! And to that end he and Sir Pterry have
      *created* a competition, calling on young would-be playwrights to
      make a short film of the way *they* would adapt Nation for the
      stage:

      "When I sat down to read it, I realised that the first thing I had
      to do was forget that I might be adapting Nation: I just had to
      enjoy it as a good read. No trouble there... Everyone I gave the
      book to had the same reaction: how on earth are you going to put all
      that on the stage? How are you going to do the tsunami? The sow, the
      shark, the parrots? The cave with the giant statues of the gods?
      Those bits, I've discovered, are the easy bits... The really
      difficult thing is to get to the emotional and philosophical heart
      of Pratchett's book, and then realise that in a totally different
      medium... Now I want to see how young people would dramatise this
      book themselves... After a year working on my own version, I'm
      excited to see what you'll come up with."

      Prospective playwrights aged between 10 and 17 are invited to have a
      go at adapting Nation for the stage, working from an extract chosen
      by Terry Pratchett himself from one of his favourite sections of the
      book. Here's what to do: adapt it, make a three-minute film, upload
      it to YouTube and enter the competition. The two winning entries,
      chosen by Terry Pratchett, Nicholas Hytner, Guardian theatre critic
      Lyn Gardner and of course Mark Ravenhill, will be broadcast live to
      300 cinemas worldwide in January next year "as a curtainraiser to
      the National theatre's live broadcast of Nation".

      http://tinyurl.com/ygax59f

      The extract itself (that wonderful scene in which Mau presents his
      rather unusual calling card): http://tinyurl.com/yz48rzc

      How to enter the competition:
      http://tinyurl.com/yztm8ax

      On YouTube, a video of Terry Pratchett and Mark Ravenhill launching
      the competition, with a discussion of the re-creation of Nation for
      the stage and an explanation of what the winning entries will
      achieve: http://www.youtube.com/terrypratchettnation

      The Guardian's page with the video:
      http://tinyurl.com/ykp7pqg

      As mentioned in a related article in last month's WOSSNAME:

      For more information and advice on how to adapt a book for the
      stage, see www.spinebreakers.co.uk and
      www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/discover

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) PTERRY INTERVIEWED ON VOICE AMERICA'S AUTHOR HOUR

      Listen to the interview:
      http://www.modavox.com//voiceamerica/vepisode.aspx?aid=41718

      ... or read it, as transcribed from the interview:
      http://theauthorhour.com/terry-pratchett/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) NATION: THE BIG REVIEW

      "'It must be nice to be a real author, rather than an amateur like
      me, who rolls the thing together with whatever happens to be
      floating by,' sighs the man who has written 80 books and
      counting..."

      In The Telegraph, an in-depth review of Nation -- the Family Book
      Club's book of the month -- including an interview with the author:

      http://tinyurl.com/yejwwdy

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      9) "AGELESS BEAUTY": YOUNG CRITICS GIVE THEIR VIEWS ON NATION

      Young readers from The Guardian's literary competition for children
      air their views on Nation:

      "Terry Pratchett's Nation was the favourite of Daras Kaur Narula,
      12, who described it as: 'A hilarious and clever book.' Kartik
      Vira,12, on the other hand, valued Pratchett's story of a boy's
      struggles to survive after his world is destroyed by a tsunami, for
      its 'powerful questions about God and the purpose of religion'. Sara
      Charoenprasit, 13, loved the 'originality and ageless beauty' of
      Pratchett's writing..."

      http://tinyurl.com/yahasth

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) DISCUSSING DISCWORLD AT THE LIBRARY

      ...the Westland Public Library in Westland, Michigan, in this case.
      Among the library's highlighted activities for this month is their
      Science Fiction/Fantasy Book Club:

      "Join us for a discussion of Terry Pratchett's 'Making Money.'
      Reprieved confidence trickster Moist von Lipwig turns his attention
      to the Royal Mint in this Discworld adventure. It seems that the
      aristocratic families who run the mint are running it into the
      ground, and benevolent despot Lord Vetinari thinks Moist can do
      better... Copies of the book are available at the Reference Desk."

      Science Fiction/Fantasy Book Club takes place at 7 p.m. on 28th
      October at the William P. Faust Public Library, 6123 Central City
      Parkway, Westland.

      Interestingly, the library's "Fantasy Football Mid-Season Get-
      Together" for teens and adults takes place on the following evening,
      28th October (also at 7 p.m.). How appropriate it would be if they
      combined the two events...

      http://tinyurl.com/yz68m2b
      http://www.westlandlibrary.org/

      If you did not get all four parts, write: interact@...