WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2009 -- PART 3 OF 6

  • granny_tude
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2009
      WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2009 -- PART 3 OF 6 (continued)

      ====Part 3 -- PLAYS NEWS, GAMES NEWS, ODD SODS, WEIRD ALICE

      16) ACTION REPLAY: SHARING YOUR MEMORIES WITH THE WORLD
      17) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      18) CONVENTION NEWS
      19) GAMES NEWS
      20) REVIEW: GOOD OMENS
      21) INTERVIEW: THE SCENT OF PRATCHETT
      22) TALES FROM L-SPACE: WORDS FROM THE MASTER
      23) TEALIN'S DISCWORLD FAN ART
      24) WEIRD ALICE PRESENTS: THE NADWCON FILKS

      16) ACTION REPLAY: SHARING YOUR MEMORIES WITH THE WORLD

      http://www.memories-matter.org/

      "Popular fantasy writer and Salisbury resident Sir Terry Pratchett
      is helping to kick-start a new campaign for the Alzheimer's Research
      Trust (ART). The ART Patron has joined a host of celebrities... in
      the national launch of the campaign. Memories Matter draws attention
      to the memory loss experienced by the 700,000 people in the UK who
      live with Alzheimer's and other dementias, and how we could halt
      this: through research into new treatments, preventions and cures.

      "Members of the public are invited to add their unforgettable
      moments -- good, bad or otherwise -- to the hundreds already
      collected on the Alzheimer's Research Trust website www.memories-
      matter.org, or on Twitter using the #memoriesmatter tag. Selected
      memories from the public will also be displayed on the Alzheimer's
      Research Trust's Memory Wall, which will tour the country from
      this month."

      http://tinyurl.com/l4895g

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) THE PLAY'S THE THING: DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

      17.1 THE LAST CONTINENT -- ON THE LAST CONTINENT!

      The Unseen Theatre Company of Adelaide, South Australia, Fourecks,
      who are already long famous for their lovingly crafted productions
      of Discworld plays, now present the world premiere of THE LAST
      CONTINENT, adapted and directed by Unseen's own Pamela Munt. This
      event takes place next month, October 2009. Over to you, Pamela:

      "Discworld is a world and a mirror of worlds. This is not a play
      about Australia. No, it's about somewhere entirely different which
      just happens to be, here and there, a bit... Australian... Still...
      no worries, right?"

      On the Discworld anything can happen. Or even "not happen".
      Sometimes its difficult to know which is which -- even for the
      Wizards at Unseen University.

      In this case, The Last Continent was "not happening". It was dying,
      even as it was being built, and even the Gods who were building it
      didn't quite know what was going on. Some thought it was to do with
      the space/time continuum. Others thought that there was not enough
      magic left in the world to glue all the pieces together. Others
      thought it may be something to do with the lack of rain.

      The one thing that they did agree on was that it needed a hero. A
      hero who could eat a Pie Floater even when he was sober...Yep, its
      our old friend Rincewind. The inept wizard who can't even spell
      wizard. He's the only hero left. Still...no worries, right?, or as
      he would say:-

      "Dead is only for once, but running away is forever"...

      When: October 9 to 24 (Wed to Sat) at 8pm. (Free tickets night for
      Healthcare card holders on 9th October; Opening Night is 10th
      October)

      Venue: Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide

      Tickets: Adults $18/Concession $15/ Groups (10+) $14; Fringe
      Benefits $14

      Bookings: www.bakehousetheatre.com (no booking fee) or phone
      82270505 ($2 per ticket booking fee applies)

      www.unseentheatre.com.au
      0401676071

      17.2 WYRD SISTERS IN CHESHAM

      The Chesham Bois Catholic Players will be performing Stephen Briggs'
      adaptation of "Wyrd Sisters" in October, and donating a percentage
      of profits to Workaid.

      When: Saturday 10th, Fri. 16th and Sat. 17th October 2009
      Venue: Little Theatre by the Park, Church Street, Chesham, Bucks HP5
      1HU
      Time: 8pm (doors open at 7.30pm)
      Tickets: £12 and £10 (under 16 and over 60s).
      Please email cbcp.wsboxoffice@...
      Cheques (made payable to CBCP) should be sent with SAE to CBCP Box
      Office, 35 Chessmount Rise, Chesham HP5 1RB

      Enquiries to producer: 01494 580327.

      There is table seating -- "bring your own drinks, glasses and picnic
      if you like! Free coffee and cakes will be served at the interval."

      17.3 WYRD SISTERS IN TWYFORD

      Twyford and Ruscombe Theatre Group will be performing Wyrd
      Sisters on October 8th, 9th & 10th from 8pm.

      More details at: http://www.twyrusdrama.org.uk/current.htm

      17.4 UNSEEN ACADEMICALS IN ABINGDON

      From the virtual pen of Stephen Briggs himself comes the news that
      Unseen Academicals has already been adapted for the stage! Over to
      you, Stephen:

      The Studio Theatre Club is staging its next Pratchett premiere...

      17 to 21 NOVEMBER 2009
      7.30 (with a 2.30 matinee on 21/11)
      Unicorn Theatre, Thames Street, Abingdon
      Tickets - £8.00

      Tickets ONLY LEFT for Tuesday & Wednesday Nights!!

      The novel is with the publishers -- and the STC has already started
      rehearsing its stage adaptation!

      Football has come to the ancient city of Ankh-Morpork - not the old
      fashioned, grubby pushing and shoving, but the new, fast football
      with pointy hats for goalposts and balls that keep going when you
      drop them. And now, at Unseen University (the multiverse's most
      prestigious college of wizardry) the wizards must win a football
      match, without using magic. As the match approaches, four lives are
      entangled and changed for ever. Because the thing about football --
      the important thing about football -- is that it is not just about
      football.

      ORDERING TICKETS

      To order, please send your request -- with a cheque (payable to
      'STC') and a stamped, addressed envelope to: Studio Theatre Club, PO
      Box 1486, Oxford, OX4 9DQ. Please mark your envelope, in the top
      left corner - UNSEEN ACADEMICALS.

      Audience members are encouraged to wear football scarves and bobble
      hats - but no whistles, or rattles. We'll have official team
      rosettes available at the theatre!

      www.studiotheatreclub.com/CurrentPlans.html

      Editor's note: there are some excellent photographs of STC's other
      Discworld productions (and other STC plays) on this page:
      http://www.studiotheatreclub.com/Gallery.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) CONVENTION NEWS

      Yes, there *are* other conventions. Hat. Hat. Hat.

      DISCWORLD 2010

      Hello,

      It's the 27th of August, which means that in a year's time the 2010
      Discworld Convention will be kicking off! (Actually, a lot of
      people will have been in the hotel since the previous evening and I
      for one expect to already be having a great time, but officially...)

      We already have around 500 members signed up and we know that number
      will grow over the next twelve months.

      Over the next couple of months we'll be releasing programme
      information and starting to let you know what will be happening
      during the convention, including details of what we'll be doing with
      Guilds this year and, of course, information on our Gala Dinner.

      But for now I'd like to let you all know about the guests who will
      be joining Terry at the con. In no particular order the guests we
      have confirmed are:

      - - Bernard Pearson
      - - Isobel Pearson
      - - Stephen Briggs
      - - Ian Stewart
      - - Jack Cohen
      - - Jacqueline Simpson
      - - Lionel Fanthorpe
      - - Colin Smythe

      We'll be releasing more information on guests as the con gets closer
      (and more people say 'yes').

      As always if you have any questions about the con please don't
      hesitate to contact us at the following addresses:

      Membership - membership@...
      Hotel - hotel@...
      General Enquiries - info@...

      Talk to you all again soon,

      Brian
      Chairman, Discworld Convention 2010

      https://www.dwcon.org/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) GAMES NEWS

      In My Broadband, a witty and amusing review of Rhianna Pratchett's
      Overlord II:

      "...you'll be hoarding loads of cash from all those wretched towns
      in your way, and you can blow this on upgrades for your stylish
      subterranean babe lair, a New! Improved! arsenal of meat punchers,
      or boosting up your mob of adorable goons. There are also a number
      of collectibles thingies hidden around the place for you to claim,
      increasing your army size, health and mana pools, and suchlike. And
      there are thousands of gnomes to murder. Overlord 2 is a wicked
      delight through and through. With the plot and superb dialogue
      penned by none other than Terry Pratchett's daughter, Rhianna
      Pratchett, and 20-odd hours of terror to bring upon the woolly heads
      of Nordberg's sorry denizens and beyond, this is a game that's going
      to keep you entertained far more than any of that other dribble
      you're currently playing..."

      http://mybroadband.co.za/techreviews/Gaming/294.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) REVIEW: GOOD OMENS

      A review by Rachel Kolb at Celebrity Cafe:

      "I expect that 'Good Omens' will be made into a film in the next few
      years, and I also expect that not everyone (particularly
      conservative Christians) will appreciate the book's humor. I only
      have two wishes for the 'Good Omens' movie. First, I hope they
      maintain Gaiman and Pratchett's twisted (and borderline
      blasphemous) sense of humor. Second, please cast David Hyde Pierce
      and Neil Patrick Harris as Aziraphale and Crowley..."

      http://thecelebritycafe.com/books/full_review/1898.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      21) INTERVIEW: THE SCENT OF PRATCHETT

      An interesting interview with Elizabeth Barrial of "alt parfumiers"
      Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, who, as you may remember, offered a line
      of Good Omens scents:

      "For Agnes Nutter in the Good Omens line, Neil and Terry wanted a
      gunpowder explody scent. For Shadwell, I sent Neil and Terry two
      versions of the final -- with or without condensed milk. (With
      condensed milk was the consensus!) More than anything, I want them
      to feel as though their creations are correctly represented... Terry
      Pratchett chose the Orangutan Foundation UK for his portion of the
      proceeds from the Good Omens scents. Neil asked that the proceeds
      from the Neil-inspired jewelry collection at Black Phoenix Trading
      Post go to Match It For Pratchett. It's important that you take care
      of those in need if it's within your power to do so..."

      http://www.sequentialtart.com/article.php?id=1503

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      22) TALES FROM L-SPACE: WORDS FROM THE MASTER

      Here be a collection of quotations from conversations with Pterry,
      back in the days when he had time to converse with the then much
      smaller hordes of dedicated fans:

      "DW books don't have chapters because, well, I just never got into
      the habit of chapters. I'm not sure why they should exist (except
      maybe in children's books, to allow the parent to say 'I'll read to
      the end of the chapter and then you must go to sleep.'). Films don't
      have chapters. Besides, I think they interfere with the shape of the
      story. Use a bookmark is my advice..."

      http://www.lspace.org/books/apf/words-from-the-master.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      23) TEALIN'S DISCWORLD FAN ART

      http://www.nocturnalsoldier.org/Tealin/xhp/disc/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      24) WEIRD ALICE PRESENTS: THE NADWCON FILKS

      ...aka the Discworld Rocky Horror Show.

      And so it came to pass, many moons ago, that certain members of the
      NADWcon Committee asked Weird Alice Lancrevic if she would be so
      kind as to parody the entirety of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, to
      be centred around the A-M City Watch and to be performed at the
      Convention. And then, as weeks became months, confusion ensued over
      whether there would be a full production or not, and where and when
      it would be performed, and whether it could be done at all, and
      suddenly it was August and songs were requested after all. Now,
      Weird Alice being a Bard who's used to composing in a hurry, she
      smartly provided a half-dozen or so Rocky Horror parodies which were
      duly performed (along with most of the contents of the infamous
      Weird Alice Songbook, at the following day's filk session). WOSSNAME
      is proud to reproduce them here for the pleasure of those of you who
      weren't at NADWcon.

      Alice wishes to thank Gary Swaty, Anna and Emily of NADWcon for the
      time and effort they spent trying to give these songs a showcase in
      their full glory, against considerable odds.

      Unfortunately, no recordings of these songs have yet come to light,
      so here is Gary's description from his letter of thanks to Weird
      Alice, reproduced with permission:

      *Since the end of the convention I have been trying to figure out
      how to express my complete appreciation of your contribution. I have
      no adequate words. Instead I will describe the events. They came off
      wonderfully and we owe it to you.

      The Rocky Horror event was not as grandiose as I originally
      envisioned due to lack of time. What we had was a concert by one
      Beka Rose Cavanagh. She was a small shy person, but on stage she
      came to life with all the Rocky Horror life and enthusiasm.

      There was a "A light (over in the Pseudopolis yard)" and we saw it.

      During the "Vimes Trip" the audience came up on stage and Danced
      behind the singer.

      Going Postal was performed wonderfully and I loved it.

      Stitch-a-me was received with enthusiasm and the audience joined in
      the chorus. Igor of the Watch lived.

      Unfortunately she was not able to do Dammit Carrot alone. (I plan to
      use it at an event in May.)

      At the regular themed Filk Circle We used your song Book. I printed
      up 30 copies which were shared. And I swear in three hours they
      attempted nearly every song in the book. The singing quality was not
      always high, but the enthusiasm and enjoyment was great.

      I call it an unqualified success and we owe it to you. Thank-you.

      (On the side: My son Martin drew a Turtle Cover for my copy of the
      Book. Terry Pratchett took it away with him)

      [Alice says: "All together now -- 'daww!' And I hope Pterry enjoys
      singing my songs to himself by his fireside when he gets home..."]

      (continued in Part 4, with the actual songs)

      If you did not get all six parts, write: interact@...