WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2009 -- PART 2 OF 6

  • granny_tude
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2009
      WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2009 -- PART 2 OF 6 (continued)

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, ODDS AND SODS

      9) NATION SHORTLISTED FOR GUARDIAN FICTION PRIZE
      10) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      11) MORE DISCWORLD FILMS TO AIR ON SKY TV
      12) A YOUTH SCRIPTWRITING CONTEST WITH A SPECIAL EXTRA
      13) EVEN THE BOFFINS REFERENCE DISCWORLD NOW...
      14) NADWCON: IT'S ALL OVER NOW...UNTIL 2011
      15) IMAGES OF THE MONTH: MOSTLY NADWCON

      9) NATION SHORTLISTED FOR GUARDIAN FICTION PRIZE

      Four novels have been shortlisted for the 2009 Guardian children's
      fiction prize, "reflecting both the breadth of writing for children
      and young adults and an optimism about the power of story to inform
      and guide... Terry Pratchett's familiar ability to create new
      worlds, to people them and provide them with a past, present, future
      and a coherent philosophy is wittily demonstrated in Nation..."

      The winner will be announced on 8th October.

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/sep/12/nation-terry-pratchett

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      10.1 NEW PTERRY ALZHEIMER'S INTERVIEW

      A five-minute BBC video interview with Pterry on the beach at
      Bournemouth. Some familiar quotes here, but much is new and
      extended:

      "Let's die with a little bit of pride. I'm an author -- I want to
      write my own ending... We live longer than nature designed us to
      live, and I think it's well done for us for living as long as we do,
      but we have to cope with the problem of it as well..."

      http://tinyurl.com/lvvpxj

      10.2 ...AND HIS DOCUMENTARY IS UP FOR AN AWARD

      The two-part BBC documentary Terry Pratchett: Living with
      Alzheimer's is one of the programmes shortlisted for the Full Length
      Television Documentary prize in the 2009 Mental Health Media Awards.

      "This is the first year the prestigious event, which celebrates the
      best portrayals of mental distress and reporting of mental health in
      broadcast media, will be managed by Mind following its merger with
      Mental Health Media earlier this year..."

      For more info and the full listings, go to:

      http://www.hc2d.co.uk/content.php?contentId=12733

      10.3 ...BUT HE'S NOT HAPPY WITH THE CURRENT STATE OF THE LAW

      In The Guardian:

      "Pratchett... said yesterday the new guidelines had him 'a little
      more angry'. 'No one is really happy with them,' he told the BBC
      Politics Show West... The bestselling fantasy author suggested
      instead 'that there should be possibly some kind of non-aggressive
      tribunal system where someone who, for whatever reasons, wishes to
      end their life -- and I would only really accept medical reasons, I
      must say -- can make their points to a magistrate or a coroner,
      along with the medical evidence on which they wish to end their
      life'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/y9vl8dd

      10.4 "EMBUGGERANCE" MAKES IT INTO THE OXFORD DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS

      "Sir Terry has gained his place for describing as "an embuggerance"
      his illness when he announced it to his fans. [There are] over
      20,000 new quotations to enter the latest, updated edition, the
      seventh in the book's 65-year history, to bring in more 21st century
      contributions. New quotes come from the likes of British author
      Philip Pullman, the scientist Stephen Hawking, US President Barack
      Obama and late comedy host and jazzman Humphrey Lyttelton..."

      http://tinyurl.com/n3sr68

      10.5 NEW GENETIC DISCOVERY HOLDS PROMISE FOR THE FUTURE

      "UK scientists working with a French team identified three genes
      closely linked to the illness. Blocking the effect of these genes
      could cut numbers of 'common' late-onset sufferers by a fifth. The
      breakthrough, announced yesterday in the journal Nature Genetics,
      was called 'the biggest advance in Alzheimer's research for 15
      years' by UK team leader Prof Julie Williams...

      "It was feared dementia would hit up to a million people within 20
      years, but the genetic research may cut that toll by leading to new
      therapies... Two of the new-found genes, identified by the UK team,
      are called CLU and PICALM. The third, CR1, was singled out by the
      French. CLU and CR1 are linked to the effect of brain inflammation.
      PICALM is involved with other functions which help form memories.
      Versions of these genes increase the risk of Alzheimer's by 10-15
      per cent. The UK study was the biggest-ever genetic probe into
      Alzheimer's and involved analysing DNA from more than 16,000 people
      over two years."

      http://tinyurl.com/lckp89

      [Editor's note: the article's photo of Sir Pterry describes him as a
      "cult novelist". Ooh, does that mean he gets scary robes and occult
      sigils?]

      10.6 BICYCLING THE DISTANCE FOR ALZHEIMER'S RESEARCH

      From the Huddersfield Daily Examiner:

      62-year-old dementia sufferer Tony Garrood has undertaken a bicycle
      ride from London to Paris to raise money for the Alzheimer's
      Society. He intends to pedal approximately 55 to 80 miles per day
      alongside a team of other fundraisers.

      "Tony takes inspiration from famous fantasy author Terry Pratchett,
      who is also living with the onset of Alzheimer's. Tony told the
      Examiner: 'Terry Pratchett has been upfront about it and I've taken
      his lead. He is a hero of mine and I think that he has helped raise
      the profile of dementia considerably. If there's a good time to have
      dementia, it is now...'"

      http://tinyurl.com/nyjkfh

      10.7 SIR PTERRY STILL FIGHTING FOR RESEARCH FUNDS

      "The UK's best selling author, who suffers from a rare form of the
      disease, said the 'unthinkable is to do nothing at all' as he called
      for more funding for research despite the current economic climate.
      He will meet Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg before discussing
      his experience of Alzheimer's disease at the party's autumn
      conference in Bournemouth... The debate, Dementia decade: a cure by
      2020?, takes place as an Alzheimer's Research Trust and Alzheimer's
      Society-commissioned YouGov poll revealed that 71% of Liberal
      Democrat voters believe the Government should increase dementia
      research funding despite the current economic climate..."

      http://tinyurl.com/njbf9z

      "Sir Terry Pratchett, Patron of the Alzheimer's Research Trust, is
      to discuss his experience with a rare form of Alzheimer's disease
      and demand an increase in government investment in dementia research
      at the Liberal Democrat Party Conference today. Sir Terry's campaign
      has the backing of leading charities the Alzheimer's Research Trust,
      Alzheimer's Society and Age Concern & Help the Aged, while a Liberal
      Democrat MP has described the government's record on dementia
      research as 'shameful'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/l3ka36

      "Neil Hunt, chief executive of the Alzheimer's Society, added: 'It
      is essential politicians lead the way in devising a co-ordinated
      plan and commit to more investment into dementia research if we are
      to stand any chance of defeating this devastating disease. Terry's
      views are supported by the public. It is clear we must act now.'"

      http://tinyurl.com/ls8std

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) MORE DISCWORLD FILMS TO AIR ON SKY TV

      New Sky1 controller Stuart Murphy has big plans for the network, and
      they include our favourite turtle-powered world:

      "He referenced Going Postal, the forthcoming Terry Pratchett novel
      adaptation, and said the network had two more options on Pratchett
      books, of which it will probably do one a year..."

      http://www.c21media.net/news/detail.asp?area=4&article=51618

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) A YOUTH SCRIPTWRITING CONTEST WITH A SPECIAL EXTRA

      From The Stage (UK):

      Penguin Books and the National Theatre have teamed up to launch a
      scriptwriting competition for young people. As part of the Big Break
      competition, youngsters aged 13 to 18 are invited to read author Meg
      Rosoff's debut novel How I Live Now and, using the story, themes
      and characters, write a first scene of a script based on the book.

      Five winners will be invited to spend a day at the NT Studio working
      with professional writers, directors and actors to workshop and
      develop their scripts. They will also see a performance of Nation,
      based on a novel by Terry Pratchett, adapted by Mark Ravenhill,
      opening at the theatre in November.

      The judging panel consists of Rosoff, Ravenhill, NT associate
      literary director Sebastian Born, NT discover programme associate
      director Anthony Banks and Danielle Innes, editor of Penguin's
      online teen community Spine Breakers.

      For more information and advice on how to adapt a book for the
      stage, see www.spinebreakers.co.uk and
      www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/discover

      http://tinyurl.com/kvsq6g

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) EVEN THE BOFFINS REFERENCE DISCWORLD NOW...

      ...even if some can't spell it correctly. Here be a letter in The
      American Scientist:

      "British fantasy author Terry Pratchett's 2007 Diskworld novel,
      'Making Money,' features a clone of A. W. H. Phillips's MONIAC
      that Brian Hayes described in his column 'Everything Is Under
      Control' (May–June 2009). Called 'the Glooper,' this fictional
      machine models and predicts the flow of money through the economy of
      Ankh-Morpork, the Diskworld's largest city. When carefully adjusted,
      it also controls that flow. Realizing this, the Glooper's operators
      conclude that turning such a device over to the government would
      place it in the wrong hands. Obviously, that's fantasy..."

      http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/fantasy-is-reality

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) NADWCON: THE AFTERMATH OF A ROUSING SUCCESS

      14.1 THE TIMES REPORTS ON NADWCON

      ...as it were. Here be the links to five very special editions of
      the Ankh-Morpork Times, as published by the North American Discworld
      Convention gang. And very handsome-looking virtual broadsheets they
      are indeed:

      http://nadwcon.org/Newsletter/AnkhMorporkTimesVol1.pdf
      http://nadwcon.org/Newsletter/AnkhMorporkTimesVol2.pdf
      http://nadwcon.org/Newsletter/AnkhMorporkTimesVol3.pdf
      http://nadwcon.org/Newsletter/AnkhMorporkTimesVol4.pdf
      http://nadwcon.org/Newsletter/AnkhMorporkTimesVol5.pdf

      14.2 ANOTHER NADWCON REPORT: HEM HEM

      From the experiences of the Guild of Seamstresses -- the Roundworld
      version (certain cervices definitely *not* provided!) -- a
      needle's-eye report in three parts:

      http://tinyurl.com/yj34xqb
      http://tinyurl.com/yjuw4gq (with video...and bustle)
      http://tinyurl.com/ylxtggd (with costume awards video)

      14.3 ...AND A DIFFERENT SORT OF CONVENTION REPORT

      Here be a fascinating document by Colin Smythe, who of course is
      Pterry's long-serving agent (when not himself serving as the Seriph
      of Al-Khali at NADWcon). This is a fine slice of The Author's
      publishing history, complete with early personal correspondence
      between Pterry and Colin Smythe:

      "My friend sums up his argument by saying that a writer should not
      exploit a landscape and universe invented for one book in another,
      unless the second book is deeply bound up with the first. Having
      considered all this I'm still planning to go ahead, but I would be
      interested to hear your view on sequels..."

      http://tinyurl.com/y9obluw

      15.1 SOME NADWCON ICONOGRAPHS

      A truly awesomely rendered Ronnie Soak and Susan Sto Helit (which
      just might prove that Ronnie is related to The Middleman):
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/futuregirl/3893972845/

      Now *that's* what I call a believable Nanny Ogg!:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/futuregirl/3893970399/

      Look at all those dear little legs:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/futuregirl/3893928989/

      15.2 ...AND SOME MORE NADWCON ICONOGRAPHS

      http://www.flickr.com/groups/nadwconphotos/

      Slideshow:
      http://www.flickr.com/groups/845226@N20/pool/show/

      Four pages of pictures of the con:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/futuregirl/

      ...and my personal favourites, the Photobucket photostream of one
      Greebo 13. This set of NADWcon iconographs gets my number one vote,
      both for sheer volume -- ten pages -- and for breadth and variety of
      subjects that others' picture records seem to have missed, e.g. the
      Thieves' Guild and a lot of the costumes that *didn't* win prizes
      but perhaps ought to have done.

      Here's the starting point for Greebo 13's set:

      http://tinyurl.com/ye3jmw5

      Oh right, and the the personal favourite. Here it is, and it's a
      stunner (and possibly also a scunner) -- the label from a box of
      Higgs & Meakins Feegle Kisses chocolates!

      http://tinyurl.com/yaelm2q

      15.3 ...AND SOME NADWCON VIDEOS

      Pterry Q&A various:

      Q&A 1 (includes spoilage for Unseen Academicals):
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXFW7afcuDI&feature=related

      Q&A 2:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RIV-sVjijM&feature=related

      Q&A 3:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRjyNuu94V8&feature=related

      Q&A 4:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFDgaIrvh7w&feature=related

      Q&A 5:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymNLwCgryPk&feature=related

      Q&A 6:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HVwCV2DcbY&feature=related

      Q&A 7:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwGp71tXI3Q&feature=related

      Q&A 8:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zMtjzEXBKs&feature=related

      Q&A 8a:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dKBWsa65XM&feature=related

      Q&A 9:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj63sRgIXCo&feature=related

      15.4 ...and just for something that isn't NADWcon themed, here is a
      repeat viewing of the famous Discworld cake featured in WOSSNAME a
      while back, along with a selection of other science-fiction and
      fantasy-themed cakes of note:

      http://scifiwire.com/2009/09/17-amazing-sci-fi-themed.php

      If you did not get all six parts, write: interact@...