WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2009 -- PART 1 OF 6

  • granny_tude
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2009
      SEPTEMBER 2009 (Volume 12, Issue 9)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) UNSEEN ACADEMICALS: READ THIS!!!
      4) PTERRY INTERVIEWED IN NEW SCIENTIST BY...YOU?!
      5) ...AND A NEW INTERVIEW IN THE TELEGRAPH
      6) HERE COMES NUMBER 37 (DEPENDING ON HOW YOU COUNT 'EM)
      7) REVIEW OF UNSEEN ACADEMICALS
      8) ...AND HERE COMES NATION

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, ODDS AND SODS

      9) NATION SHORTLISTED FOR GUARDIAN FICTION PRIZE
      10) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      11) MORE DISCWORLD FILMS TO AIR ON SKY TV
      12) A YOUTH SCRIPTWRITING CONTEST WITH A SPECIAL EXTRA
      13) EVEN THE BOFFINS REFERENCE DISCWORLD NOW...
      14) NADWCON: IT'S ALL OVER NOW...UNTIL 2011
      15) IMAGES OF THE MONTH: MOSTLY NADWCON

      ====Part 3 -- PLAYS NEWS, GAMES NEWS, ODD SODS, WEIRD ALICE

      16) ACTION REPLAY: SHARING YOUR MEMORIES WITH THE WORLD
      17) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      18) CONVENTION NEWS
      19) GAMES NEWS
      20) REVIEW: GOOD OMENS
      21) INTERVIEW: THE SCENT OF PRATCHETT
      22) TALES FROM L-SPACE: WORDS FROM THE MASTER
      23) TEALIN'S DISCWORLD FAN ART
      24) WEIRD ALICE PRESENTS: THE NADWCON FILKS

      ====Part 4 -- MORE WEIRD ALICE, BU NEWSROUND

      25) WEIRD ALICE, CONTINUED
      26) BU CAMPUS NEWSROUND

      ====Part 5 -- ABP AND HOROSCOPE

      27) ABP BITS
      28) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 6 -- HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED, AND CLOSE

      29) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      QotM

      "Having experienced over two decades of signing trips and tours,
      Terry says that touring is for young men: even with a permanent
      minder it is still exhausting and will kill one faster than drink or
      women, although he says he's hoping to have the chance to test
      this theory out."

      -- Colin Smythe

      Quickly now, because this is a very long issue and I don't want to
      take up valuable news space: Unseen Academicals comes out next week;
      the Unseen Theatre (of Fourecks) presents the world premiere of The
      Last Continent on stage; Stephen Briggs and the Studio Theatre
      Company will present the world premiere of Unseen Academicals,
      adapted for the stage, in November (tickets are going *very* fast),
      New Scientist magazine has been taking submissions for readers'
      questions to pose to Pterry for a special issue in the near future,
      and there are some interesting new developments on the Alzheimer's
      Disease battlefront. And lots and lots of other stuff, so...

      On with the show!

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) UNSEEN ACADEMICALS: READ THIS!!!

      For those of you who can't wait to have a bound book in your hands,
      HarperCollins has kindly put the first 77 pages of Unseen
      Academicals up on their website for perusal, hurrah!

      http://tinyurl.com/mwcxp4

      ...and for those of you who want to read an essentially spoiler-free
      review of the entire book, scroll down the page...

      ...and here's another review, reasonably spoiler-free, by Lesa
      Holstine, a library manager in Glendale, Arizona, where Pterry gave
      his recent talk a couple of weeks ago:

      "If you're a sports fan who never read one of Terry Pratchett's
      books, Unseen Academicals is the one you should read. And, if you're
      one of his millions of worldwide fans, it's Pratchett's observations
      on sports, sports fans, a little Romeo and Juliet, and racism. And,
      it's done with his typical wordplay and cleverness. It's another
      success..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ya4ajc8

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) PTERRY INTERVIEWED IN NEW SCIENTIST BY...YOU?!

      "Next week, we're going to interview Terry Pratchett, author of the
      enormously successful Discworld series of books -- or rather, you
      are. Tell us what questions you'd like to put to him in the comments
      below. We'll run the interview in a forthcoming issue of New
      Scientist. Remember, the more original your question is, the more
      likely it is we'll pick it -- which means 'Where do you get your
      ideas?' is out, for a start. And bear in mind we cover science and
      technology, not writing or publishing.

      "Thinking caps on, then. Or should that be pointy hats?"

      http://tinyurl.com/yfft8q2

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) ...AND A NEW PTERRY IN THE TELEGRAPH

      "One of the delights of the job is controlled serendipity. I have
      lots of weird books like 'The History of False Teeth' and 'The
      Frozen Water Trade in the Southern United States in the 18th
      Century'. All this stuff streams down into me. My own books drive
      themselves. I know roughly where a book is going to end, but
      essentially the story develops under my fingers. It's just a matter
      of joining the dots -- and that process really hasn't got any more
      difficult since my diagnosis..."

      http://tinyurl.com/yc26n2z

      The more eagle-eyed among you, like Asti of Bugarup University, will
      have noticed that the famous Pratchgan quilt is draped over a chair
      in Pterry's study!

      The Pratchgan, as featured in WOSSNAME a while back:

      http://tinyurl.com/66dppb

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) HERE COMES NUMBER 37 (DEPENDING ON HOW YOU COUNT 'EM?)

      From The Examiner (USA):

      "Terry Pratchett, one of the top-selling authors in the world, will
      have the 37th installment of his "Discworld" series available
      Oct. 6, 2009... The title, Unseen Academicals, takes place at Unseen
      University where the wizards are renowned for many things --
      sagacity, magic, and their love of teatime -- but athletics are not
      on the list. Before long a UU football team is established. First,
      they must figure out what makes the sport -- soccer with a bit of
      rugby thrown in -- so popular and they must win a football match
      without using magic. Lives are changed, because, the thing about
      football -- the important thing about football -- is that it is not
      just about football..."

      http://tinyurl.com/loz72n

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) REVIEW: UNSEEN ACADEMICALS, A BOOK OF TWO HALVES
      by Annie Mac

      They say football isn't just about football, and I say Unseen
      Academicals isn't just about football either.

      It is, however, about...erm...balls.

      And pies.

      And many different kinds of equality.

      And pies.

      And the many definitions of love.

      And pies.

      Unseen Academicals starts out as what's usually referred to as a
      romp, apparently one of the "lighter" stories in the Discworld saga,
      and as I read it I was thinking yes, fine, fair's fair, they can't
      *all* have the scope and gravitas of Night Watch. But as I read on,
      the surface pantomime of familiar Ankh-Morpork suddenly wearing the
      scarves and knuckledusters of British soccer culture gave way to
      deeper and deeper levels of something far more potent. By page 90 I
      was well and truly pulled into the story. By page 110 I was
      shivering. By page 160 I was thinking to myself, "this is the thing
      and the whole of the thing". Deep, powerful, earthy-as-a
      -continental-plate unvarnished truth about individual life choices
      and social rituals, dressed in a masterfully sculpted pie-crust
      of subtle satire and unsubtle bawdy observation and garnished --
      like a street vendor's pie at a footy match what's been tarted up to
      pass muster at yer posh restaurant, don'cha know -- with a dusting
      of the daft, surrealistic wit we've come to know and revere as one
      of Pratchett's trademarks.

      And it's a gorgeous story. With a beautiful ending. And a bouncing,
      jouncing, walloping, nudge-winking, kneecapping, goal-bashing
      cauldronful of mystery, misdirection, magnetism, mayhem and magic
      all along the way.

      I've long suspected that Discworld, Roundworld, Middle Earth and
      "game space" (both our own and the fictional game space of Only You
      Can Save Mankind) are all connected, probably by way of the infinite
      multidimensional corridors of L-space, and reading Unseen
      Academicals only serves to deepen that suspicion -- though I can't
      say more without giving too much away, muhahahaha...

      What we have in Unseen Academicals is a Discworld story, no question
      of that. But what we also have is Romeo and Juliet (via West Side
      Story), a soupcon of Cyrano de Bergerac, a large nod to Shelley's
      Frankenstein (think of it as "suppose Victor, the Monster's creator,
      had been a forward-thinking international diplomat instead of a
      self-pitying absent parent..."), an affectionate, heartfelt bow to
      the author's favourite author, JRR Tolkien... and, of course, the
      patchwork mythology of football.

      Oh, and there's a witch called Glenda the Good. Actually, she's just
      called Glenda and she's head cook and general manageress at the
      Unseen University Night Kitchen, but she *is* a force for good and a
      voice of Sweet Reason, and she possesses all the salient qualities
      of a working Discworld witch: tending to the sick, elderly and
      simple out of a sense of community duty; seeing what's really there;
      speaking for "them as have no voices"; knowing when and how to be
      invisible, and when and how to be a towering presence, or at least
      an unstoppable one. Glenda is very much in the mould of Petulia
      Gristle and of a more adult, emotionally integrated Agnes/Perdita.

      Ankh-Morpork and the rest of the Discworld continue to evolve,
      swallowing new concepts and new developments and incorporating them
      into the present -- and future -- with a unique Discly twist. The
      Disc may be getting smaller, just as our own world is in the age of
      high-tech and instantaneous communication, but more importantly,
      it's growing up.

      As the story unfolds, we see some of those those changes, and we
      also see how the power of names affects people -- people of all
      species -- as well as affecting the people-of-all-species around
      them. The Watch, for instance: once mere Watchmen and despised as
      bumbling and incompetent, they became "coppers" (a spikier, more
      effective presence), then Sammies (an acknowledgement that the
      Commander of the Watch is watching *you*), and now they are the "old
      Sam" (an accepted and, where appropriate, feared part of everyday
      street life). Then there's Mister Nutt, who lives in fear of
      learning his own true name. There's Juliet, whose family name is a
      constant reminder of her supposed worthlessness. There's the head of
      the Department of Postmortem Communications, who has learned that
      the spelling of a name makes *so* much difference. And there's a
      certain senior wizard whose name...well, that would be telling...
      Another theme in Unseen Academicals is that of social standing
      versus actual social importance. Over and over, we see that, in
      modern Ankh-Morpork, the circumstances of one's birth pose little
      barrier to fame, fortune and even political effectiveness, so long
      as you can walk that walk -- or bake that pie.

      In Unseen Academicals, we meet many old familiar characters and a
      number of new characters whose *rightness* makes them seem instantly
      familiar. We discover that it isn't just Igors who understand the
      true meaning of the phrase "a self-made man". We are introduced to
      lifestyles that, while they haven't been shown or even alluded to
      before in Discworld stories, seem perfectly in place because when we
      think about it, they *had* to have been there all along. And we get
      to know some instantly iconic characters, including one who's
      definitely a spiritual relative of Captain Jack Sparrow (a man who
      certainly knows about the power of Image)... in fact, some of the
      most iconic characters since Greebo first morphed into a second
      career in black leather.

      I want to say so much more, but I'd have to do major spoilage. And
      we can't be having with that, can we?

      Unseen Academicals. Buy it. Read it. And don't worry if you know
      nothing about soccer. After all, football is more than just a
      game...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) ...AND HERE COMES NATION

      8.1 ON THE LONDON STAGE IN NOVEMBER...

      "Terry Pratchett's serio-comic novel 'Nation,' about life on a
      tsunami-ravaged island in the 1860s, is promised a spectacular
      staging at the National Theatre from Nov. 11, directed by Melly
      Still..."

      http://tinyurl.com/nrvxzs

      8.2 ...AND AT A CINEMA NEAR YOU EARLY NEXT YEAR

      The cinecasts of NT Live's production of Nation will be screened at
      hundreds of cinemas around the world from late January 2010 onwards.
      Do keep checking the page (link given below), as venues are being
      added regularly. And remember, this exclusive run is a short one --
      two performances per venue -- so don't forget to book in advance
      where you can!

      The page includes links and info for local cinemas:

      http://tinyurl.com/nsc7z7

      UK venues will include London (Belsize Park Brixton, Chelsea,
      Clapham, East Finchley, Greenwich, Islington, Kensal Green, Notting
      Hill, Richmond, Stratford, Wimbledon); the Southeast (Ashford,
      Brighton, Chichester, Farnham, Guildford, Henley, Milton Keynes,
      Oxford, Oxted, Stevenage, Tunbridge Wells); the South (Basingstoke,
      Dorset); the East (Bury St Edmunds, Cambridge, Colchester,
      Huntingdon, Norwich, Aldeburgh); the Southwest (Bath, Cheltenham,
      Christchurch, Exeter, Isle of Wight, Malvern, Plymouth, Southampton,
      Tewkesbury, Winchester, Yeovil); the West Midlands (Birmingham,
      Coventry, Shrewsbury, Stratford-on-Avon); the East Midlands
      (Kettering, Lincoln, Nottingham); the Northeast (Boldon,
      Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Lincoln); the Northwest (Blackpool,
      Liverpool, Manchester, Manchester Didsbury); Yorkshire (Harrogate,
      Hull, York); Cumbria, Ambleside, and Guernsey; Scotland (Aberdeen,
      Dundee, Edinburgh, Falkirk, Galashiels, Glasgow) and Wales
      (Aberystwyth, Cardiff, Llandudno, Monmouth, Newport, Prestatyn).

      International venues -- some 200 or more cinemas around the world --
      include Australia, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark,
      Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico,
      Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Romania, South Africa, Spain,
      Sweden, and USA:

      http://tinyurl.com/n5db47

      Note for Fourecksians: the screening dates Down Under are given as
      Saturday 13th February and Sunday 14th February 2010. Venues range
      across the country from Fremantle to Sydney (and even down to
      Tasmania and up to Queensland).

      If you did not get all six parts, write: interact@...