WOSSNAME SPECIAL EDITION SEPTEMBER 2009

  • granny_tude
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2009
      7th SEPTEMBER 2009

      WOSSNAME SPECIAL EDITION SEPTEMBER 2009: THINGS THAT JUST CAN'T WAIT

      1) A NOTE FROM THE EDITOR
      2) JACQUELINE SIMPSON DISCWORLD LECTURE, 14 SEPTEMBER
      3) ABP LONDON SEPTEMBERMEET, 19 SEPTEMBER
      4) SHARE YOUR MEMORIES FOR ALZHEIMER'S RESEARCH

      Once again we get caught out by the ever increasing number of
      Pratchett and Discworld-related events on the calendar. These won't
      wait for WOSSNAME's usual monthly publication date, so here you
      go...

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      2) JACQUELINE SIMPSON DISCWORLD LECTURE NEXT WEEK IN WORTHING

      It's library time! For those of you who live in, or can get to, the
      south of England, Folklore of Discworld co-author Jacqueline Simpson
      is giving a lecture about Discworld at the Worthing Library in
      Worthing, Sussex on Monday, 14th September.

      Tickets are £3 and are "available from all libraries", according to
      this article. Probably not from libraries in other countries, but I
      suppose in L-Space all things are possible...

      http://tinyurl.com/m6flep

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) SEPTEMBERMEET 5

      Calling all Pratchett fans in the London area! Countertony wants
      you!

      In alt.books.pratchett, The Countertony writes:

      Well, this is the fifth time I've hosted a meet in London (would
      have been the sixth, but for my moving around in 2007) and so this
      year we take it back to where the tradition [1] started - the Green
      Man pub. We have the basement booked, and all systems are go!

      Where?
      383 Euston Road, London NW1 3AU -- take the tube to Great
      Portland Street, exit the station and turn eastwards. Google Map via
      http://preview.tinyurl.com/kpdwfz

      When?
      From 18:00 on Saturday 19th September

      Who?
      You! Her! Him! Them! Everyone!

      Why?
      Whether it's going back to school/uni/college, taking the *kids*
      back to school/uni/college or just missing the hot summer sun (ha!),
      most of us feel the need for a bit of AFP therapy administered via a
      glass of something and a silly hat about this time of year. That's
      why the meets started at least, and they seem to have been
      reasonably successful thus far. :-)

      Beer?
      When I phoned up they said they always keep a bunch of real ales and
      real cider on, so the answer is "yes"...or possibly "yes please!"

      [1] now, of course, a positively *ancient* tradition...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) ADD YOUR MEMORIES FOR ALZHEIMER'S RESEARCH SUPPORT!

      As part of the run-up to World Alzheimer's Day -- 21st September --
      the Alzheimer's Research Trust is inviting people to post their most
      memorable moments to their online Memories Matter campaign. The
      Memories Matter site aims to raise awareness about the tragic memory
      loss caused by Alzheimer's Disease and other dementias.

      Sir Pterry has already added one of his cherished memories to this
      charmingly designed and poignant board (viewers of the Terry
      Pratchett: Living with Alzheimer's documentary will recognise the
      anecdote), as have many other celebrities and "ordinary" people,
      including your Editor, so why not give it a go?

      You can add your favourite memory, signed or anonymously, and there
      is also a link for donations to the Trust.

      www.memories-matter.org

      As I type these words, the inaugural North American Discworld
      Convention is entering its final hours. Our regular monthly issue
      will feature reports, Little Moments (hopefully, not like
      Stanley's), and photo links, but for now, here's a lovely short
      NADWcon video in which Pterry presents the costume awards from the
      Maskerade, recounts the infamous Feegles Invasion anecdote, and
      shakes Death of Rats by the, um...hand?

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ll85pJ2Zi0

      Here's hoping that the rest of the convention is as marvellous as a
      marvellous thing, and that the organisers and Team Pterry enjoy a
      well-deserved rest afterwards. See you in a few weeks!