WOSSNAME -- AUGUST 2009 -- PART 3 OF 5

  • granny_tude
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2009
      WOSSNAME -- AUGUST 2009 -- PART 3 OF 5 (continued)

      ====Part 3 -- MORE NEWS, ODDS AND SODS, AND STUFF

      7) REMINDER: UNSEEN ACADEMICALS AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER
      8) NATION AUDIOBOOK -- AND NOVEL -- PRAISED
      9) LORD VETINARI XXV PIN NOW AVAILABLE
      10) MORE MARVELLOUS DISCWORLD FIGURINES
      11) BICYCLING FOR ALZHEIMER'S RESEARCH
      12) PTERRY'S A RECYCLED BESTSELLER
      13) BOOK AWARDS 101: THE LEADING LIGHTS
      14) THE FINE TRADITION OF BEING A "HACK WRITER"
      15) REVIEW: THIEF OF TIME
      16) IMAGE OF THE MONTH: XKCD ON DISCWORLD SHELF SPACE
      17) DISCWORLD TATTOO WINS CONTEST
      18) DEATH OF DISCWORLD MAKES AN IMPRESSION
      19) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      20) GAMES NEWS
      21) DUTCH DISCWORLD CONVENTION IN 2011

      7) REMINDER: UNSEEN ACADEMICALS AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER

      As featured in last month's issue. The release date for Unseen
      Academicals is 6th October 2009. For the Amazon pre-ordering link,
      go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/mqggnu

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) PRAISE AND RECOMMENDATIONS FOR NATION

      8.1 YALSA's 2009 Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults includes
      Nation:

      "Narrator Stephen Briggs' crisp, precise British narration artfully
      enhances Terry Pratchett's "survival story focusing on 13-year-old
      Mau and British teen Daphne, the sole survivors of a tsunami."

      http://tinyurl.com/ktfcpe

      Also, from Examiner.com:

      "This is nine hours of story on an eight disc set..."

      http://tinyurl.com/m8z4bm

      8.2 Nation recommended for Canadian summertime readers

      In Ottawa's Daily Observer:

      "This summer, Kimberley's reading choice, for all ages to enjoy, is
      'Nation' by Terry Pratchett. In this novel, the author creates a
      whole new beautiful world with original characters that add to the
      already interesting story-line. This book will make you laugh,
      think, and imagine what it would be like to live in the world of
      Terry Pratchett's Nation."

      http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1691629

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      9) LORD VETINARI XXV PIN NOW AVAILABLE

      "As the absolute ruler and self professed despotic dictator, Lord
      Vetinari hardly needs supporters, but in a strange way he controls
      the City almost as effectively as Carrot wears it..."

      In honour of 25 years of Discworld (and maybe the golden anniversary
      of Lord Vetinari's rule?), PJSM Prints offers a new 1-inch pin badge
      in a limited edition of 200. The Vetinari pin costs £23.99 and is a
      handsome confection of red, silver and gold (but sadly, no stygium).

      Also, last month's Captain Carrot limited edition of 200 pin badges
      is almost entirely sold out now! There are only a few remaining, at
      a cost of £21.99.

      The Discworld collectible pins are limited to one per household (it
      says on the site), and profits from the sale of these pins will be
      divided between the Royal British Legion (Jersey) Poppy Appeal and
      the Alzheimer's Research Trust.

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/pins/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) MORE MARVELLOUS DISCWORLD FIGURINES

      PJSM Prints now offer five new 30mm cast metal Discworld miniatures:
      Ridcully (with crossbow), Casanunda (with sword and, of course,
      stepladder), Otto Chriek (with iconograph and salamander), Granny
      Weatherwax (dressed for the opera in Maskerade), and Twoflower (with
      iconograph and I Love A-M hat). Granny, Otto and Casanunda figurines
      are £8.00 each, and Ridcully and Twoflower figurines £7.50 each.
      Every figurine comes with a round base for mounting:

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/miniatures/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) BICYCLING FOR ALZHEIMER'S RESEARCH

      Two Slough (UK) bicyclists, Owen Wilson and James Evans, have
      pedalled more than 1026 miles from Land's End to John o' Groats to
      raise money for the Alzheimer's Research Trust in honour of their
      favourite author, Terry Pratchett:

      "The intrepid explorers battled against the elements throughout the
      gruelling journey... The epic journey, in which the fighting fit duo
      climbed well over 69,000 feet and were fuelled by plenty of bananas
      and chocolate, has already raised £1,300..."

      http://tinyurl.com/numpxv

      Unfortunately, the donations link is incorrectly typed on the page.
      To donate:

      http://www.justgiving.com/jimowenlejog/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) THE LIBRARIAN APPROVES: PTERRY'S A RECYCLED BESTSELLER

      Here be a fascinating article in The Guardian about a new kind of
      bestseller list: recycled books in the Oxfam charity shops. Oxfam
      claim that their recycled bestseller list is the first of its kind,
      and Terry Pratchett is ranked fifth on its list of the top ten most
      popular sellers.

      It's interesting to note that Oxfam don't just sell "junk" books; in
      amongst the battered pulp paperbacks and unwanted coffee-table
      lifestyle hardcovers are some genuine gems -- for example, a donated
      first edition of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings that sold for £800 a
      few weeks ago!

      http://tinyurl.com/m6xtag

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) BOOK AWARDS 101: THE LEADING LIGHTS

      A round-up of SOME OF the past year's winners of some YA book
      competitions, including the Printz Award, makes for interesting
      reading itself:

      "Nation does not dissappoint[sic]. While this book is not the comic
      fantasy joyfest that he normally writes, Pratchett brings his usual
      detailed depictions and odd storylines to life."

      http://tinyurl.com/ljerhh

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) THE FINE TRADITION OF BEING A "HACK WRITER"

      Here be Guardian columnist David Barnett singing the praises of
      popular and populist authors down through the ages. Well worth
      reading!

      "Last month I met and interviewed Terry Pratchett, on the occasion
      of him being awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of
      Bradford. By way of breaking the ice, I told him that he'd done
      good, for a former hack -- a reference to Pratchett's early days as
      a local newspaper reporter. 'I'm still a hack,' the Discworld author
      insisted, with no small measure of pride, and a pinch of
      defiance..."

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2009/aug/13/hack-writers

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) REVIEW: THIEF OF TIME

      In The Examiner:
      "He has been compared to Douglas Adams countless times. Many say he
      is if fact the Douglas Adams of fantasy fiction, I disagree. Terry's
      humor is more defined, and his plot much better in terms of story...
      One of the best thing about Terry is just how realized his world is.
      Every strange nuance, no matter how strange, just fits..."

      http://tinyurl.com/mpjagh

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) IMAGE OF THE MONTH: XKCD ON DISCWORLD SHELF SPACE

      ...needs no explanation!

      http://xkcd.com/625/

      Don't forget to run your Hex mouse over the image: "hidden text" is
      a well-known feature of XKCD.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) TATTOO-ONNA-ARM CHARMS THE JUDGES

      A British tattoo artist has won an award for the Discworld collage
      tattoo he inked on a client's arm. Her *entire* arm:

      "'It's awesome and I love it," she said "It's a tribute to Terry
      Pratchett. We had a few of the books and went trawling through them.
      Some of the characters were the death chain, death himself, death's
      grand daughter, Quoth, Rincewind the inept wizard and the god that
      turned into a tortoise as nobody believed in him..."

      http://tinyurl.com/kkzatc

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) DEATH COMES TO US ALL...

      ...even to op-ed columnists in far-flung newspapers:

      "DEATH - Terry Pratchett's sombre character, dressed in robes and
      carrying his all-encompassing scythe awaits us all, and not just
      those in the Discworld either. His, for we are assured by his
      chronicler that he is very much a male, is a public service of
      sorts, as DEATH collects us all, eventually, and no manner of flight
      can delay or prevent this. Baring [sic] this in mind, there are, at
      the very least, two meanings to that oft-misunderstood word,
      'flight'..."

      As it turns out, this is not a timely piece referencing the current
      UK assisted-dying debate, but rather a somewhat incoherent attempt
      to draw parallels between flying and war, torture and other fatal
      punishments inflicted by governments and civilian thugs throughout
      human history. Make of it what you will; at least our favourite
      Death gets a mention...

      http://tinyurl.com/mgftv4

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) PLAYS NEWS

      19.1 LORDS AND LADIES IN COULSDON -- TWO REVIEWS

      Theatre Workshop Coulsdon's recent outdoor production of Lords and
      Ladies was a resounding success. Here be two different reviews, both
      long and both approving...

      From the Croydon Advertiser:

      "Tanya Allison and Penny Payne, as Granny and Nanny respectively,
      delivered their intrigue with clarity and cunning with Emma Griffin
      as the delightful Magrat turning from demure bride into a virago to
      defend her groom. Luke Argles brought just the right amount of
      pomposity to Verence, bumbling nicely when wedding night
      expectations were mentioned. Bumbling wonderfully too was Chris
      Argles as the hapless Bursar whose dottiness and pill-dependency
      increased as the tale progressed. Bullish rather than bumbly are the
      Morris men tasked to present a play as entertainment for the wedding
      - boozy local yokels for whom Pratchett 'borrowed' the tale of the
      Rude Mechanicals from Midsummer Night's Dream..."

      http://tinyurl.com/kwbuu8

      From This Is Surrey:

      "The radio mikes were levelled so that not a spoken word was missed,
      while the underscore music and sound effects, especially composed
      and performed by Mark Taylor, gave the piece an added dimension. One
      suspects that there was more than just a passing interest by
      director Mike Brown and his cast in Pratchett's writings, as not
      only was this their third such production but the characters were so
      well drawn as to suggest some serious research by the players...."

      http://tinyurl.com/nmqg75

      19.2 A REMINDER: WYRD SISTERS IN CHESHAM IN OCTOBER

      The Chesham Bois Catholic Players (reg charity 287109) will present
      Stephen Briggs' adaptation of Wyrd Sisters in October. A percentage
      of profits will be donated to Workaid.

      Venue: Little Theatre by the Park, Church Street, Chesham, Bucks HP5
      1HU
      When: Saturday 10th, Friday 16th and Saturday 17th October 2009
      Time: 8pm (doors open at 7.30pm)
      Tickets: £12 and £10 (under 16 and over 60s)
      Please email cbcp.wsboxoffice@...
      Cheques (made payable to CBCP) should be sent with SAE to CBCP Box
      Office, 35 Chessmount Rise, Chesham HP5 1RB
      Enquiries to producer: 01494 580327.

      "Table seating - bring your own drinks, glasses and picnic if you
      like! Free coffee and cakes will be served at the interval."

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) GAMES NEWS

      20.1 DW RPG FTW ZOMG?!

      The Portland Examiner loves Discworld RPG:

      "Although they didn't spring from an RPG, each inspired RPG's to be
      produced decades after their publication... Both Anthony and
      Pratchett are master wordsmiths that are almost beyond compare..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ng59vf

      20.2 RHIANNA PRATCHETT WRITING FOR THE A-LIST

      New RPG "Risen", which will be released for PC and Xbox in October,
      features some high flyers:

      "The companies have assembled an impressive voice cast for the game,
      including Lena Headey (Sarah Connor on the Terminator TV show) John
      Rhys-Davies (A/K/A Gimli from the Lord of the Rings movies) and
      Gollum himself, Andy Serkis! Not only that, but veteran video game
      writers Rhianna Pratchett, James Leach and Andrew S. Walsh are on
      hand to actually provide the dialog for the A-List actors assembled
      for this project..."

      http://tinyurl.com/lfo7o8

      20.3 ...AND DEFENDING CUTSCENES

      An article on games site Destructoid:

      "Whilst, personally, I'd rather a game wasn't turned into a
      wannabe movie, I believe there's still a place for artfully crafted,
      well timed and smartly paced cutscenes. Granted, the games that
      manage to do all three are fairly rare..."

      "I'm with Pratchett on this one. I don't think cutscenes diminish
      the so-called artistic value of the medium. It's just another tool,
      something that videogames can do potentially very well, and it
      doesn't diminish the game in any way if it borrows elements from
      other media to tell its story..."

      http://tinyurl.com/lglgg3

      Also on Play.tm:

      "Cutscenes are still an important tool in our narrative toolbox, and
      we shouldn't throw out the hammer just because we keep hitting our
      thumb with it. We just have to learn how to wield it a little
      better."

      http://play.tm/news/26059/don-t-fear-cut-scenes-rhianna-pratchett/

      Editor's note: For those of you who -- like me until a few minutes
      ago! -- have no idea what a cutscene is, go to:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutscene

      21) DUTCH DISCWORLD CONVENTION IN 2011

      2011 is a fair way off, but here's a heads-up for our European
      readers:

      Hi everybody,

      We proudly announce that there will be a discworldcon in the
      Netherlands in 2011. Exact date and location to be confirmed. As
      soon as there is an official website I will let you know.

      Have fun
      Paul van Oven