WOSSNAME -- JULY 2009 -- PART 4 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2009
      WOSSNAME -- JULY 2009 -- PART 4 OF 5 (continued)

      ====Part 4 -- REVIEWS, RECOMMENDATIONS, ODDS AND SODS

      16) NATION: A RECOMMENDATION
      17) PTERRY'S BOOKS ARE "RECESSION PROOF"
      18) REVIEWS OF THE COLO(U)R OF MAGIC DVD
      19) TIFFANY ACHING BOOKS RECOMMENDED
      20) PTERRY GETS IT...WRITE
      21) ...AND SERVES AS A BENCHMARK
      22) THE LUGGAGE: NOW IN ROUNDWORLD?!
      23) UNSEEN UNIVERSITY WOULD LOVE THESE TECHNOMANCERS
      24) RADIO BIRDSONG BACK ON THE AIR... SORT OF
      25) OF SMALL GODS AND ALL GODS
      26) AND SPEAKING OF OM...
      27) IN PRAISE OF REG SHOE
      28) GAMES NEWS
      29) BUGARUP UNIVERSITY NEWSROUND

      16) NATION: A RECOMMENDATION

      The San Marcos Daily Record's "Answers to Go" column makes a
      recommendation for young readers this summer:

      "Satirical portraits of upper-class twits, slapstick buffoonery, bad
      puns, and English wit buoy this story at every turn. Add a romance
      of gentle sweetness, encounters with ghosts, and lots of gunfire,
      and it is hard to imagine a reader who won't feel welcomed into this
      nation."

      http://tinyurl.com/kuef87

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) PTERRY'S BOOKS ARE "RECESSION PROOF"

      Arifa Akbar writes in The Independent:

      "The publishing trade has always drawn strength from the smug
      refrain that "books are recession proof". Until now... Book sales
      have taken an unforeseen tumble; we find redundancy announcements
      made at Random House, HarperCollins and Waterstone's and writers
      face a precipitous drop in advances... [publishers] are now
      preferring to hand seven-figure advances to guaranteed big-hitters
      such as Dan Brown and Terry Pratchett..."

      http://tinyurl.com/mt73lv

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) REVIEWS OF THE COLO(U)R OF MAGIC DVD

      from the Globe and Mail:

      "Do you prefer your fantasies with dragons, talking swords and
      reluctant heroes, or with supernatural powers and people propelled
      backward through plate-glass windows? Either way, you've come to the
      right place..."

      http://tinyurl.com/mqes3k

      from JustPressPlay:

      A fairly critical review that, despite the writer's mediocre skill
      when it comes to writing cogently -- not to mention his epic fail at
      fact-checking (he seems to think Rincewind was played by "David
      Jones"), does make some points worth reading:

      "Even a mini-series falls victim to budgetary restrictions, so it's
      fortunate that the overall production has Pratchett's story to fall
      back on. And that really is the saving grace of The Color of Magic:
      the source material. Vadim Jean made a decent effort in translating
      the witty and quirky charm of the characters, but the translation is
      far from perfect..."

      http://tinyurl.com/lvafpv

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) TIFFANY ACHING BOOKS RECOMMENDED

      In the Pocono Record:

      "If you like fantasy spiked with quirky humor, the Tiffany Aching
      series, by Terry Pratchett, is just what you need. The first in the
      series, 'The Wee Free Men,' introduces us to Tiffany, a young girl
      with common sense and mystical powers she hasn't quite figured out
      yet...Tiffany is discovering the power within her, but it's not
      about potions and spells... Fans of Douglas Adams will appreciate
      the offbeat humor..."

      http://tinyurl.com/mohjjw

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) PTERRY GETS IT...WRITE

      In an essay on writing in the Daily Kos, blogger and creative
      writing teacher Sensible Shoes references Pterry several times as an
      example of how to write right:

      "Terry Pratchett is particularly brilliant in-- well, in everything,
      really, but in building the ending throughout the story...
      [Pratchett] is one of the few writers that never seems to write much
      about writing, but I imagine he goes back in the revision and puts
      in the building blocks of his endings..."

      http://tinyurl.com/koou9q

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      21) ...AND SERVES AS A BENCHMARK

      ...which is happening more and more of late, and not before time! In
      this blog review of a number of recent novels, Matt Cutts writes:

      "If you squint your eyes just right, this could almost be a Terry
      Pratchett book. But where Pratchett dangled the end of the world in
      front of readers with a smile, as if to say 'don't worry, every
      thing will be fine,' Martinez's book loses its footing toward the
      end when it tackles such weighty matters..."

      http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      22) THE LUGGAGE: NOW IN ROUNDWORLD?!

      Luggage that carries itself has come to Roundworld! Looking more
      like the offspring of R2D2 and a vacuum cleaner than the homicidal
      sapient-pearwood chest we know and love, the Live Luggage Hybrid PA
      nonetheless shares some of its counterpart's qualities:

      "When the owner stops pulling it, it is supposed to stop the luggage
      as well, although various scenarios of mayhem spring to mind at the
      all too obvious idea that the luggage may develop a mind of its
      own..."

      http://www.unthinkable.biz/home/article/312/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      23) UNSEEN UNIVERSITY WOULD LOVE THESE TECHNOMANCERS

      "By the Pratchett definition Charles Simonyi is not strange; he's
      eccentric. It's like strange, but with a lot more money...."

      This article in IT News, listing "the top ten" odd people famous in
      IT, has only that tenuous connection to Discworld, but it's
      fascinating reading, well worth a look. Some of these folk would
      make excellent wiz(z)ards!

      http://tinyurl.com/kvy6cv

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      24) RADIO BIRDSONG BACK ON THE AIR... SORT OF

      "Pratchett might be pleased to know that the interactive station
      that's replaced it – Amazing Radio – by way of easing people
      into the transition have programmed two hours of bird song and
      ambient music between 11pm and 1am each night. So now he can enjoy
      the sound of the collared dove, chiffchaff and coal tit..."

      http://tinyurl.com/kuhyfu

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      25) OF SMALL GODS AND ALL GODS

      In Creative Loafing, blog reviewer Chris Deal offers thoughts about
      "Five novels to read while thinking about faith":

      "I'd rather take a look at some books that say something about
      religion in our individual lives. What is the role of religion? What
      does it do for us, on a day by day basis?... This satirical read
      takes close look at the institutions built around faith, and, as is
      natural for Pratchett, takes the piss out of them... Small Gods
      looks at what real, simple faith is all about..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ktlx4r

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      26) AND SPEAKING OF OM...

      In central China, a twelve-year-old girl was knocked senseless and
      badly injured by a tortoise that fell out of the sky:

      "A police spokesman said: 'Given the force of the blow this
      tortoise, which weighed 3lbs must have been thrown from a reasonable
      height and we have questioned 16 flat owners all of whom have denied
      responsibility.'"

      No eagles have yet been located to assist the police with their
      enquiries...

      http://tinyurl.com/mr346r

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      27) IN PRAISE OF REG SHOE

      Blogger and zombiephile Scott Kenemore's attempt to turn the world
      on to reading Discworld novels. For the zombie content, of course.

      "Reg is never the main character of a Discworld novel, but Pratchett
      uses him perfectly and hilariously in supporting roles. If you've
      never checked out Pratchett...and you're a zombie fan, then one of
      the novels featuring Reg Shoe might be a good place to start. .."

      http://tinyurl.com/6ycbz5

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      28) GAMES NEWS

      28.1 RHIANNA PRATCHETT: SHE DOESN'T LIKE ELVES...

      from an interview with Matthew Reynolds in Digital Spy:

      "I always liked the evil guys more, and I grew up in the eighties,
      which was the heyday of fantasy... I would cry as soon as a bunny
      would come on with a scratch. But I was perfectly okay with things
      like Conan, Terminator, Aliens, Legend - all the great fantasy films
      of the eighties. [Bad guys] always are the most interesting ones;
      they always get the best costumes, the best lines..."

      "Building a story in a game is much more then writing words. So many
      writers are almost external to the team... Basically, I'd like to
      see writers and narrative professionals involved nearer the start of
      the game... [as they are] in things like Overlord, and other games
      out there where narrative and story work well together, and often
      that's because the writer has been involved..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ll2sxe

      from Associated Press:

      "'Trying to construct a story around levels that have already been
      designed without narrative in mind, which is pretty common - and was
      the case with Mirror's Edge -- is rather like trying to write a
      movie for sets that have already been made. It can be incredibly
      challenging.'

      "The original Overlord, released in 2007, put the player in the role
      of an evil despot who conquers the world with the help of
      bloodthirsty gremlins. The adventure's warped perspective and black
      comedy earned it cult status among like-minded gamers..."

      http://tinyurl.com/nlcl63

      a review of Overlord II for PS3/X360/PC at WorthPlaying:

      "There are certain elements that remind me of a Terry Pratchett
      tale, and I could certainly see some of the things presented being
      in a Discworld novel or two... Overall, Overlord II is a great
      follow-up to the original Overlord title, and it's certainly
      deserving of being a true sequel. They've managed to keep intact
      everything that I enjoyed about the first game, while at the same
      time fixing the majority of its issues..."

      http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=64026

      ...and at Destructoid:

      "The story, written by Rhianna Pratchett, has a few high points,
      especially the end twist, but it has to be said that most of the
      humor misses the mark..."

      http://www.destructoid.com/review-overlord-ii-138165.phtml

      a review of Overlord: Dark Legend for Wii at Gamezine:

      "Dark Legend is the first Overlord outing on the Nintendo Wii and is
      penned somewhat as a prequel to the original. In this version, you
      take control of a young lord, who, on his 16th birthday is sent the
      present of an evil suit of armour... The story itself has been
      described by the writer Rhianna Pratchett (daughter of Terry) as 'a
      twisted fairy tale,' where 'the lead character is in a Cinderella
      scenario with his elder and rather unpleasant brother and
      sister.'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/nu9thp

      ...and at Gameplanet NZ:

      "Backed by a rich, tongue-in-cheek story from award-winning games
      author Rhianna Pratchett, the game features Overlord favourites
      including Halflings, trolls, elves, and dwarves and introduces
      wicked witches, gingerbread men and Lil' Red Riding Hood, the
      seeming sweet girl with a very personal lupine secret..."

      http://tinyurl.com/m5986j

      a review of Overlord 2 for Xbox 360 at Seattle Post Intelligencer:

      "The voice acting and dialog brought the story to life. The sound
      effects and music helped set the mood. The graphics are well crafted
      with lush destructible interactive environments. The graphics engine
      has no problem dealing with complex battles that fill the screen...

      http://tinyurl.com/nf353g

      ...and in Earthtimes:

      "Overlord turned a lot of gaming conventions on its head when it was
      introduced in 2007... gamers were asked to destroy their online
      world accompanied by a horde of seemingly insane small people who
      occasionally used pumpkins as helmets. It worked because the point
      of Overlord wasn't pure evil, but evil concocted in an entertaining
      fashion... Overlord II continues the tradition..."

      http://tinyurl.com/l5fnju

      28.2 ...AND THIS IS NOT ABOUT *RHIANNA* PRATCHETT...

      Rhianna's father gets a mention in a games review on
      destructoid.com:

      "On a largely unrelated note, do you know who I think really nailed
      the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse? Neil Gaiman and Terry
      Pratchett. Their vision of War, Famine, Pestilence and Death were
      absolutely brilliant interpretations..."

      http://tinyurl.com/myts27

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      29) AROUND THE BU CAMPUS

      29.1 GOING POSTAL CAST...AND BABY NAMES

      The news of the Going Postal cast and the news of two of ozdw's
      high-profile posters expecting babies came together in one thread...

      Asti:
      I'm terrible with names but recognised the faces when I looked them
      up. I think it's a stellar list of names but also agree that the
      casting is not always to my taste for the characters. It also rather
      takes the fun out of years of idle mailing list casting couch
      speculation, when they go and do something mad like actually making
      fillums of the books!!!

      Vera:
      We can still carry on casting Good Omens...

      Jase:
      ...and I'm sure the ladies-in-waiting would welcome name suggestions
      ;)

      Vera:
      I suppose Urglefloggah is out of the question...?

      Fuzzy:
      Obviously if it's a boy, Pterry is the only logical choice of name.
      That or Rincewind, anyway.

      Vera:
      That would be lovely if someone out there actually names their
      offspring Pterry! Even better if it's fraternal twins and the other
      one gets named Ptraci :-)

      New Bruce:
      Oh, why restrict it to character names? I quite like Thud or Jingo
      for a boy's name ;)

      Someone else:
      I'd also suggest Muntab. Or Twoshirts.

      29.2 A RANT ABOUT NATION AND YOUNG ADULT CLASSIFICATIONS

      SteVen, grinding his teeth in frustration:

      Yes, apparently, because the main protagonists are "children" (or
      "young adults", or in the case of Mau, possibly a soulless no-
      longer-a-boy-but-not-a-man demon thing), and therefore according to
      the publishing industry, it's a children's book.

      If you write a book where the protagonist is a mercenary killer,
      it's not marketed as a book for mercenary killers.

      If you write a book where the protagonist is an eccentric detective,
      it's not marketed as a book for eccentric detectives.

      If you write a book where the protagonist is a time-travelling alien
      with multiple personalities and a penchant for wearing funny hats,
      it's not marketed as a book for time-travelling aliens, with or
      without the hats.

      But if you screw one goa^W^W^W^W if you write a book where the
      protagonist is under 18, it is almost invariably condemned into the
      ghetto of "books for kiddies".

      On the other hand, "books for kiddies" will be bought by schools and
      libraries and, if you're very lucky, be assigned as class projects,
      all of which is good for the old bank balance, so it's not all bad.

      End of Part 4, continued on part 5 of 5.