WOSSNAME - APRIL 2001 - PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 1:57 AM
      April 2001 (Volume 4, Issue 4)

      continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      Staff Writers: Geof Johns, Michael Jones
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Art Director : Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Becky Swaney
      Convention News Editor: Megan Perry

      ==Part 1

      1. USA Signing Tour
      2. GOFAD Direct
      3. Theater Note
      4. Report from Colin Smythe
      5. Terry on Editing
      6. Briggs on Eurocheques

      ==Part 2

      7. Letters from Our Readers

      ==Part 3

      8. Puzzle: Seek a Terry Word
      ==Part 1

      1) USA Signing Tour for THE THIEF OF TIME
      Tuesday, May 08, 2001
      Appears at: DANGEROUS VISIONS
      13563 Ventura Blvd. Sherman Oaks, CA
      Tel: 818-986-6963

      Tuesday, May 08, 2001 08:00 PM
      Appears at: BOOK SOUP
      Los Angeles, CA

      Wednesday, May 09, 2001 07:00 PM - 08:30 PM
      Appears at: MYSTERIOUS GALAXY
      / Speaking, Q & A, signing
      San Diego, CA

      Thursday, May 10, 2001 07:00 PM - 09:00 PM
      Appears at: BOOKSMITH
      / Speaking, Q & A, signing
      1644 Haight St. San Francisco, CA
      Tel: 415-863-8688

      Friday, May 11, 2001 01:00 PM - 03:00 PM
      Appears at: FUTURE FANTASY / Signing
      Palo Alto, CA

      Friday, May 11, 2001 07:30 PM - 09:00 PM
      Appears at: CODY'S BOOKSELLERS
      / Speaking, Q & A, signing
      2454 Telegraph Ave. Berkeley, CA 94704
      Tel: 510-845-0837

      Saturday, May 12, 2001 07:00 PM - 09:00 PM
      Appears at: UNIVERSITY BOOKSTORE
      / Speaking, Q & A, signing
      Seattle, WA

      Monday, May 14, 2001 01:00 PM - 02:30 PM
      Appears at: STARS OUR DESTINATION / Signing
      705 Main St. Evanston, IL
      Tel: 847-570-5925

      Monday, May 14, 2001 06:00 PM - 07:30 PM
      Appears at: BORDERS #405
      / Speaking, Q & A, Signing
      150 N. State Chicago, IL 60601
      Tel: 312-606-0750

      Tuesday, May 15, 2001 07:30 PM - 08:30 PM
      Appears at: BARNES & NOBLE #2538 (CHELSEA)
      / Speaking, Q & A, signing
      675 Sixth Avenue New York, NY 10010
      Tel: 212-727-1227
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) GOFAD DIRECT

      The UK Guild of Fans ad Disciples (GOFAD) has announced
      a new way of joining the Guild online with a credit card on the
      website http://www.bigfoot.com/~gofad. This will replace the
      present method for our members around the world who have
      been unable to join except by forming groups (like the KFL,
      for example, which started this way) and sending the money
      through in bulk to avoid the heavy bank charges.

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) THEATER NOTE

      Be Unafraid! Be Very Unafraid!
      The City Watch is back in:

      Terry Pratchett's

      MEN AT ARMS

      Directed by Pamela Munt

      Re-visit all of your old friends (well
      some of them, anyway) in MEN AT ARMS
      - the sequel to GUARDS! GUARDS!

      Find out whether Lady Ramkin gets her man.

      Who are the new recruits to the City Watch?
      Could they have something to do with the
      Patrician's new policy of equal employment
      opportunities for ethnic minority groups?

      For instance, why was Angua recruited?
      Because she is a w____?

      How will Captain Vimes and his troops save
      the city of Ankh-Morpork this time? (and
      from what?)

      Is there any truth to the rumour that clowns
      can be funny, and assassins deadly? (or was it
      the other way around?)

      Find out the answers to these questions
      and more by attending Unseen Theatre Company's
      production of MEN AT ARMS:

      Of course you don't have to have seen
      GUARDS! GUARDS! to enjoy the sequel because
      our dear Footnote will be there to make sure
      you know exactly what is going on.

      Where: Bakehouse Theatre
      255 Angas Street, Adelaide, Australia
      When: June 22nd to July 7th, 2001 at 8pm.
      Bookings: Betty on 82962004 or BASS 131246.

      4) REPORT FROM COLIN SMYTHE

      DVDs: The Cosgrove Hall production of Wyrd Sisters
      was released on DVD last November by Vision Video
      (EAN 0440-0780272-4), and I gather that Soul Music
      will be released on DVD next August. Present intention
      is that it will contain the Pratchett interview that was so
      irritatingly placed at the beginning of each tape so one
      has to fast-forward on the first tape to get to the start of
      Soul Music and on the second tape to get to the rest of it.

      In March 2001 Steve Jackson Games published
      "GURPS DISCWORLD ALSO"
      GURPS games adaptation by Phil Masters.
      Additional Material by John M. Ford and Terry Pratchett.
      Edited by Graeme Davis. Cover and Interior Illustrations
      by Sean Murray (ISBN1-55634-447-3,
      their ref, SJG02095 6061) selling at $20.95

      Its being distributed in the UK by three companies,
      but I haven't yet rung them to find out their sterling prices

      Esdevium Games
      01420-89900
      FAX 0142 87900

      Hobbygames Ltd.
      01903-730998
      FAX 01903-731141

      WAM Ltd.
      01922-620000
      FAX 01922-724848

      -- Colin Smythe
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      5) TERRY ON EDITING

      This is what pTerry had to say about the differences between the US & UK
      editions of TRUTH:

      "Some of the changes I made, because of the US publishing industry's
      belief that Tisoftheeans are dumb and shouldn't be faced with things
      that are new or unfamiliar -- and this is a powerful factor.  Some were
      made by the US copy editor out of a belief that an adherence to Webster
      over-rules any consideration of natural speech rhythms.  Some were made
      because it's very, very hard to find a copy editor who doesn't have the
      urge to tinker.

      Hah.  In Thief of Time the battle over 'biscuit' and 'rusk' went to the
      mat!"

      In deference to my wife's request for a Glossary I should explain
      Tisoftheeans is how pTerry sometimes refers to people from the USofA
      I gather its something to do with a song they sing over there:-)

      --Mark Barltrop aka Tachyon (tachyon@...)
      http://www.tachyonuk.com  - ICQ 13415498

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      6) BRIGGS ON EUROCHEQUES

      Joe,

      I don't know whether you have many European fans in your database, but
      banking changes in the UK mean that I can no longer accept payments in
      sterling Eurocheques (these were a very useful way for EC fans to get hold
      of sterling). If you have a spare corner in a future issue, perhaps you
      could include something along the following lines?

      "Stephen (CMOT) Briggs' bank, in common with all or most UK banks, will
      now not accept sterling Eurocheques as the cost of processing them
      outweighs their value. He'd like to let his European fans know that this
      means he can't take payments for merchandise (or royalty payments for
      productions of the Discworld plays) in the form of sterling Eurocheques.
      For his merchandise, though, he *can* now of course take payments by Visa,
      Mastercard and Switch. Full details of his range of Discworld stuff
      still available from sbriggs@..."

      -- Stephen.