WOSSNAME -- JULY 2009 -- PART 1 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2009
      JULY 2009 (Volume 12, Issue 7)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) UPDATE FROM THE MASTER
      4) EXTRAS FOR GOING POSTAL: IMPORTANT NEWS
      5) UNSEEN ACADEMICALS NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER
      6) ...AND IT'S DOCTOR PTERRY...AGAIN!
      7) GOING POSTAL CAST NEWS
      8) MORE NATIONAL THEATRE 'NATION' NEWS

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS AND STUFF

      9) CAPTAIN CARROT PIN BADGES
      10) ONLY SHE CAN FILM MANKIND
      11) TALKING ALLOWED IN THIS LIBRARY!
      12) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      13) SUPPORTING THE ASSISTED DYING BILL

      ====Part 3 -- CONVENTION NEWS AND PLAYS NEWS

      14) CONVENTION NEWS AND UPDATES
      15) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

      ====Part 4 -- REVIEWS, RECOMMENDATIONS, ODDS AND SODS

      16) NATION: A RECOMMENDATION
      17) PTERRY'S BOOKS ARE "RECESSION PROOF"
      18) REVIEWS OF THE COLO(U)R OF MAGIC DVD
      19) TIFFANY ACHING BOOKS RECOMMENDED
      20) PTERRY GETS IT...WRITE
      21) ...AND SERVES AS A BENCHMARK
      22) THE LUGGAGE: NOW IN ROUNDWORLD?!
      23) UNSEEN UNIVERSITY WOULD LOVE THESE TECHNOMANCERS
      24) RADIO BIRDSONG BACK ON THE AIR... SORT OF
      25) OF SMALL GODS AND ALL GODS
      26) AND SPEAKING OF OM...
      27) IN PRAISE OF REG SHOE
      28) GAMES NEWS
      29) AROUND THE BU CAMPUS

      ====Part 5 -- HOROSCOPE, LEFTOVERS, CLOSE

      30) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE
      31) LATE BREAKING NEWS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "Since I was told I had Alzheimer's my mind has been very
      concentrated on this. My way to end my life will be to sit on my
      lawn at my home in Wiltshire with a bottle of brandy and Thomas
      Tallis playing on my iPod. I can't think of a better way to make my
      departure. Hopefully the doctor will have been around earlier to
      give me the appropriate injection."

      -- Pterry, interviewed in The Telegraph, 7th July 2009

      Well, it certainly hasn't been a quiet month on the Pratchett news
      this month! The telefilm of Going Postal has been cast and is going
      into production (see below for a new special offer to European fans
      who wish to participate in the filming), the first of the National
      Theatre cinecasts was a success (paving the way for Nation in
      January), Pterry was lauded with yet another honorary doctorate and
      continues to campaign for Alzheimer's research and other causes dear
      to his heart, the new Discworld novel (Unseen Academicals) is
      finished, and several Discworld conventions are warming up to take
      their places on the starting line... putting WOSSNAME out is getting
      to be almost a full-time job, and I can only bow in admiration to
      the far more overworked convention committees and the volunteers who
      run Pratchett fan bulletin boards.

      Budding poets should check out the Poetry Contest in the Convention
      News section: even if you aren't going to NADWcon, everyone and
      anyone can enter. From moon-Grune-Spune rhymes to limericks to epic
      sagas (and why not), all entries will be gratefully accepted!

      For those of you who haven't checked out PJSM Prints or the Cunning
      Artificer's Discworld Emporium lately, the range of Discworld
      collectibles has vastly increased and there's some lovely stuff:

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/
      http://www.discworldemporium.com/

      And now, on with the (very) packed issue...

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) PTERRY'S UPDATE LETTER

      Folks,

      Today we have been finishing the editing of Unseen Academicals.

      It has been an immensely complex month with the Darwin Festival in
      Cambridge, the Oldie literary lunch, an honorary doctorate from
      Bradford; all of which has been exacerbated by a breakdown in one of
      our main machines.

      Next week we go to see the National to discuss their upcoming
      adaptation of Nation. It will be my first actual physical contact
      with them.

      Now, what you have all been waiting for; we have just received the
      following from Mob films. It pretty much speaks for itself and one
      can tell by some of the little details that they have become used to
      dealing with fans :) This is their show and now that we have got to
      know them, we are leaving it to them to select whom so ever they
      consider most suitable. We are not seeking nor do we expect any
      special choice in the matter and so please do not contact us in the
      hope that we can push you forward, because we can't.

      Quite a lot of our time has been spent experimenting with Dragon
      Dictate v10. The trouble with speech-to-text software is that it's
      at its best when it has a limited vocabulary. The program is pretty
      ace at business and legal letters, but an author potentially uses
      just about everybody's vocabularies and it doesn't understand, for
      example, the difference between in and inn. It would be handy if it
      could have a drop-down menu in cases like that. It could also do
      with a more sensible interface. Nevertheless, we are educating it as
      we go and it's certainly an improvement on my typing now. We did
      like the rendition of pioneer as 'pie on ear' and for some reason it
      will occasionally throw up a speech-to-text translation which no
      amount of forensic study will recognise as the original words said.
      However, it's helped me write a large chunk of I Shall Wear Midnight
      and quite a few episodes from a possible autobiography.

      I shall see a few of the lucky ones on set very soon.

      All the best.

      (signed Terry Pratchett)

      Originally published on the web by PJSM Prints

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) EXTRAS, EXTRAS! A MESSAGE FROM THE MOB

      Going Postal
      Fan Days in Budapest

      We have now identified 3 days in August that we could invite a
      limited number of fans to Budapest to act as extras alongside our
      Hungarian extras during the shooting of Going Postal.

      The days are Monday and Tuesday 10/11th August (a maximum of 15
      fans) and Friday 21st August (maximum of 12 fans) Total 27 fans.

      PLEASE NOTE : Only EU nationals can apply, due to European labour
      laws.

      We would ask the 15 people who put themselves up for the 10/11th
      August to commit to the two days filming (Monday and Tuesday) to
      keep continuity for the scenes that will be filmed over those two
      days. If they can't commit this time, then they should not apply
      for these two days.

      Those who apply for and are chosen for the 21st August will only be
      expected on the one day.

      What we will supply:

      Transport (bus) to and from a central Budapest pick up point to the
      studio prior to and post filming at a time to be arranged by us
      (likely to be 7 a.m. 'ish' pick up, return 8 pm 'ish').

      Costumes, which will be returnable to the costume department post
      shoot.

      Lunch and refreshments while at the studio.

      You will receive an HUF8.000 per day allowance (approx £24), the
      same rate as the Hungarian extras.

      What we won't supply:

      Transport to and from Hungary (planes, trains, automobiles, boats or
      bikes etcetera).

      Accommodation.

      Food and drink over and above the lunch and refreshments supplied on
      set.

      Premier tickets.

      A credit on the film.

      All applications should be made by email to our coordinator Victoria
      -- victoria@... -- which should include a photograph, which
      needs to be identifiably you, but does not need to be in costume.

      **The deadline for applications is 8 p.m. on Wednesday 29th July
      2009**

      We will draw names on Thursday 30th July and will let people know
      who have been accepted by email on that day.

      Rod Brown
      Producer - Mob Films

      [Thanks to PJSM Prints for this one!]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) UNSEEN ACADEMICALS NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER

      The release date: 6th October 2009

      The blurb:

      "The wizards at Ankh-Morpork's Unseen University are renowned for
      many things -- sagacity, magic, and their love of teatime -- but
      athletics is not on the list. And so when Lord Vetinari, the
      city's benevolent tyrant, suggests to Archchancellor Ridcully that
      the University once again put forth a football team made up of
      faculty, students, and staff, the wizards of UU find themselves in
      somewhat of a quandary. To begin with, they have to figure out just
      what it is that makes this sport -- soccer with a bit of rugby
      thrown in -- so popular with Ankh-Morporkians of all ages and social
      strata. On top of that, they must win a football match without using
      magic.

      "Meanwhile, Trev (handsome, charismatic, and a right good kicker)
      falls hard for kitchen maid Juliet (beautiful, dim, who might just
      turn out to be the greatest fashion model there ever was), and
      Trev's mysterious friend Nutt (socially awkward but fearsomely
      smart) befriends Juliet's best pal, cook Glenda (dumpy but
      extremely capable baker of jolly good pies). As the big football
      match approaches, four lives are changed forever. Because, the thing
      about football -- the important thing about football -- is that it
      is not just about football."

      The Amazon pre-ordering link:

      http://tinyurl.com/mqggnu

      [Editor's note: This appears to be the USA edition, which does not
      feature the gorgeous Paul Kidby cover but which, in my opinion,
      isn't nearly as unattractive as some people seem to think...]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) ...AND IT'S DOCTOR PTERRY...AGAIN!

      "The 61-year-old hugely-prolific writer – who became Sir Terry in
      the Queen's honours this year – swapped his trademark black hat
      for a cap and gown to receive an honorary Doctor of Letters at the
      University of Bradford today...."

      Article in the Telegraph and Argus (includes video):

      http://tinyurl.com/kw8gur

      ...and in Certificados Mexico, also with video:

      http://tinyurl.com/mfoucu

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) GOING POSTAL: THE CAST LIST SO FAR

      Moist von Lipwig -- Richard Coyle
      Reacher Guilt -- David Suchet
      Lord Vetinari -- Charles Dance
      Adora Belle Dearheart -- Claire Foy
      Drumknott -- Steve Pemberton
      Groat -- Andrew Sachs
      Miss Cripslock -- Tamsin Greig
      Mr Pony -- John Henshaw
      Horsefry -- Madhav Sharma
      Mr Spools -- Jimmy Yuill
      Stanley -- Ian Bonar
      Dave -- Paul Barber
      Gryle -- Adrian Schiller
      Trooper -- Daniel Cerquiera
      Sergeant Angua -- Ingrid Bolso Berdal
      Mr Pump (voice) -- Kerry Shale
      Mad Al -- Ben Crompton
      Sane Alex -- Asif Khan
      Roger -- Alex Parks
      Old Lady -- Sheila Shand Gibbs

      Some coverage here...

      from the Hollywood Reporter:
      "The fantasy tale of revenge and romance follows the adventures of
      arch-swindler Moist Von Lipwig and his love affair with the
      beautiful and vengeful Adore Belle Dearheart, whose family he has
      unwittingly ruined..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ktgk5n

      from Digital Spy:
      "Production has now started on the two-part series, which is due to
      broadcast in spring 2010..."

      http://tinyurl.com/msb6gu

      Crows Nest:
      "The adaptation was commissioned by Elaine Pyke, Sky's head of
      drama, and will be produced by Sue De Beauvoir (Merlin) for The Mob
      film company, and directed by Jon Jones (The Diary of Anne Frank,
      Northanger Abbey)... Elaine Pyke at Sky told SFcrowsnest, 'Following
      the Sky1 HD successes of Sir Terry Pratchett's Hogfather and The
      Colour of Magic, we're thrilled to now be bringing GOING POSTAL to
      life. Adapted by Richard Kurti and Bev Doyle, GOING POSTAL is a
      hugely enjoyable epic adventure story guaranteed to delight
      audiences across the country next Easter.'"

      http://www.sfcrowsnest.com/news/arc/2009/nz14088.php

      from World Screen News:
      "I think that Going Postal may be the finest of Terry Pratchett's
      Discworld novel and is a great choice to follow up the previous
      productions of his Hogfather and The Colour of Magic..."

      http://tinyurl.com/mamagy

      from The Bookseller:
      "Elaine Pyke, Sky1's commissioning editor for drama, confirmed that
      the channel would continue to use books as a basis for dramas.
      Speaking to The Bookseller, she praised the dual effect of book
      jackets and marketing, which provides 'a great weight and presence
      in the marketplace.'"

      http://www.thebookseller.com/news/90917-page.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) MORE NEWS ON NATIONAL THEATRE'S PRODUCTION OF NATION

      Slightly off-topic - though there's a mention in the article of the
      NT's Nation screening date in New York (30th January 2010) - but
      this review by Charles Isherwood in the New York Times is of
      interest for what it shows about reactions to going to the cinema
      to see a filmed stage play:

      "At the theater the free eye can refresh itself by focusing on
      something new, and while the producers of the broadcast did try
      assiduously to inject variety into the editing where possible, still
      there were many long stretches of heads talking... And yet,
      paradoxical though it seems, the camera's tight focus on an actor's
      face is perhaps the most obvious advantage of filming theater...It
      was not 'live' theater, but the goose bumps felt just the same..."

      http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/30/theater/30phedre.html

      from TheaterMania:

      "A broadcast date has also been set for the first NT Live offering
      of 2010. Mark Ravenhill's adaptation of Terry Pratchett's novel
      Nation will reach venues around the world on January 30... These
      performances, filmed live at the National in high definition, are
      broadcast via satellite to over 60 UK cinemas outside of London, as
      well as 170 venues around the world, including venues in the United
      States, including Washington D.C's Shakespeare Theatre and Chicago's
      Steppenwolf Theatre, as well as Canada, Australia, South Africa,
      Scandinavia and continental Europe."

      http://tinyurl.com/nl7c7v

      from the Huffington Post:

      Even the influential political blog "HuffPo" is affected by Nation
      fever...

      "Should all go according to plan, Nation would be the third National
      Theater production later bound for the world's movie houses. But I
      don't intend to wait for that..."

      http://tinyurl.com/mj8z3b