WOSSNAME -- JUNE 2009 -- PART 3 OF 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2009
      WOSSNAME -- JUNE 2009 -- PART 3 OF 4 (continued)

      ====Part 3 -- ODDS AND SODS AND HOROSCOPE

      19) THE NATURAL (ROUND)WORLD: TURTLES ALL THE WAY
      20) "SHOCK HORROR": PRATCHETT MELDS WITH DNA...?
      21) DISCWORLD'S A MYSTERY TO HER
      22) ASK THEM ABOUT STAMPS: MAKING MONEY BY GOING POSTAL
      23) ALL ABOUT PTERRY, BY A BOOKSELLING BIBLIOPHILE
      24) REVIEW OF THE PEERS UNSEEN UNIVERSITY BALL
      25) TALES FROM ROUNDWORLD: THE REAL GENERAL TACTICUS
      26) PULL THE OTHER ONE, IT'S GOT BELLS ON...
      27) GAMES NEWS
      28) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE MAR > SEP

      19) TURTLES ALL THE WAY

      A prehistoric turtle, identified from a fossil, has been officially
      named for our favourite author:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psephophorus_terrypratchetti

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) HOW TO TALK ABOUT YOUR FAVOURITE FANTASY AND SF AUTHORS...OR
      MAYBE NOT...

      A very curious but fairly amusing op-ed piece from a French site
      (text is mostly in English) that covers the A-list of genre authors
      with some panache and a lot of daftness:

      "Rumored to be two people, Sir Terry D.P. Adams is a British
      humorist famous for Hitchhikers Guide to Discworld and posthumously
      granted knighthood for his ongoing work with endangered monkeys...."

      http://www.actusf.com/spip/breve-3112.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      21) DISCWORLD'S A MYSTERY TO HER

      Children's author Gail Carson Levine blogs about her love of
      mysteries, including the Watch-centric Discworld books:

      "Terry Pratchett stops for asides. And footnotes. Ordinarily this
      would annoy me, but he's so funny I don't mind. The laughs and
      Pratchett's wild imagination keep me reading. In every book I go
      green with envy, wishing I had thought of this idea or that one...."

      http://gailcarsonlevine.blogspot.com/2009/05/mystery-mystery.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      22) ASK THEM ABOUT... MAKING MONEY BY GOING POSTAL IN ROUNDWORLD

      Stanley Howler of the A-M Post Office would go cabbage-green with
      envy at a certain Roundworld stamp collection expected to sell for
      millions. The obsessiveness of collectors was perfectly
      characterised by our favourite author, it seems:

      http://tinyurl.com/oljhzj

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      23) ALL ABOUT PTERRY, BY A BOOKSELLING BIBLIOPHILE

      Here be a long article about Terry Pratchett's life and works, by
      bookshop owner and essayist Stephanie Howlett-West. Not the most
      stunning example of its kind, but she does her best to get in all
      the relevant biographical details and a description of each of
      Pratchett's novels and their plots and characters. Includes a
      bibliography:

      http://tinyurl.com/obj9bc

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      24) REVIEW OF THE PEERS UNSEEN UNIVERSITY BALL

      As mentioned in the Images of the Month item in last month's issue
      of WOSSNAME, PEERS -- the Period Events and Entertainments Re-
      creation Society of Alameda, California -- used a Discworld theme
      for their most recent soiree. The Unseen University Ball was
      attended by one Jean Martin, editor of the ezine "Science
      Fiction/San Francisco", who wrote a comprehensive piece about the
      event. Although Ms Martin seems more than a bit shaky about her
      Discworld knowledge, she made a fetching-looking Magrat and got into
      the spirit of the evening.

      "The Morris dancers were quite entertaining with their bells, sticks
      and handkerchiefs. They even made Discworld- appropriate jokes...
      During another intermission, Melinda portrayed Christine from the
      Phantom of the Opera and sang 'Think of Me' while Susanne, playing
      Agnes/Perditta Nitt (who was also in Good Omens) pantomimed behind
      her. This scene is apparently from one of the Discworld novels.
      Hilary as Nanny Ogg sang 'The Hedgehog Song' during another
      intermission and we all sang along during the refrain... These
      pleasant experiences in the Discworld universe have motivated me to
      check it out more thoroughly. So I'm hoping to finally read some of
      the Discworld novels in the future..."

      The review of the PEERS Unseen University Ball is on pages 22, 23
      and 24 of the June 10, 2009 issue (issue 87), available for download
      in PDF format:

      http://www.efanzines.com/SFSF/SFSF87.pdf

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      25) THE REAL GENERAL TACTICUS

      Here be a fascinating blog article by Discworld aficionado Juliette
      about possible and probable Roundworld antecedents and inspirations
      for Discworld's second most famous military genius:

      "Most people reading Discworld novels, like me, won't have heard of
      Aeneas Tacticus. They might have heard of Tacitus, but the
      historical characters Pratchett evokes when he writes this character
      are different - in addition to Sun Tzu, the author of the Art of
      War, most people will think of Julius Caesar... Tacticus feels more
      like a Caesar than an Alexander to me. Additionally, Discworld's
      'old' language Latatian is clearly Latin, while Greece is more
      usually represented by Ephebe..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ol2hmx

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      26) LOST IN TRANSLATION? PULL THE OTHER ONE, IT'S GOT BELLS ON...

      In which an American Discworld fan comes adrift on a common
      expression from your Editor's homeland, and seeks the help of other
      readers:

      http://www.librarything.com/topic/66401

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      27) GAMES NEWS

      27.1 OVERLORD II DEMO AVAILABLE NOW

      A playable demo of the Rhianna Pratchett-written Overlord II is now
      available for players across the PS3, 360 and PC platforms:

      "The demo provides players a small frosted over portion of the game
      world to corrupt. Your path in the demo takes you from a well done
      intro that should reintroduce you to the not so serious tone of the
      series..."

      http://spawnkill.com/overlord-ii-looks-to-gain-followers/

      27.2 RHIANNA PRATCHETT INTERVIEW

      In which IncGamers talk to Rhianna Pratchett about overlord II and
      her other upcoming work. Pratchett displays a certain dark sardonic
      sense of humour. Wonder where she got that from...

      "I think everyone's reacted really quite well to people clubbing
      seals and punching pandas, and so I think gamers have been holding
      back an innate desire to kill soft cuddly creatures..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ltbfqw

      (includes video)

      ...and a more abbreviated version in The Canadian Press:

      "You play an evil Overlord, rampaging through a twisted fantasy
      world, with an ever expanding army of sycophantic minions who loot
      and pillage for you. What's not to love about that?"

      http://tinyurl.com/mp98qc

      27.3 RHIANNA PRATCHETT: GAMES NEED BETTER WRITING

      "Writers and narrative designers are still relatively new positions
      on development teams... This means there's still a level of
      uncertainty about how best to use and integrate them."

      Includes a rather fetching iconograph of Pratchett the Younger

      http://tinyurl.com/me9dsw

      ...as does this one:

      http://tinyurl.com/m8mmxs

      27.4 MONUMENT & MIGHT GAME UPDATE

      "However, fans of Terry Pratchett's Discworld should look for a
      vendor called 'Cut-Me-Own-Tail Ssstibbler'. Actually, anyone should
      look for him. He sells food, drink, at least 1 house item and I
      remember seeing a Provisioner recipe. I'm sure he also had something
      amusing to say, but I couldn't speak Satharian."

      http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=18414

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      28) THE NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      by Fernando Magnifico

      Buongiorno, it is I, Fernando! The Lady Asterisk has been savaged by
      a parrot, but do not fear, my friends, for Fernando will be your
      astrologer today.

      Last month, Fernando mentioned that he regularly goes back to
      Brindisi to visit his family. Since then, Fernando has received the
      very many letters and clackses from his readers asking the same
      question. "Fernando," they say, "Fernando, you are so very
      magnificent to be so close to your family. Our family is so very
      difficult, not like yours, how can we be as close to our relatives
      as you are to yours?" My friends, all families everywhere are the
      same, and Fernando's family is difficult too. Fernando knows this is
      so! This month, Fernando will ask the stars how to help you cope
      with your relatives.

      Ciao bella!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      The Adamant Hedgehog 21 Mar - 20 Apr

      Your relative is: the flower child

      Fernando knows that in every family is the "flower child", as they
      say in Morporkian. Do not be fooled, my friends, for the flower
      child is not the small child, but is the adult man or woman, like
      Fernando's cousin Filipa, who wears the skirts made from yak hair,
      and accosts strangers in the street and insists that they should be
      the vegetarians and listen to the wisdom of the Swami Vicuna. At the
      family gatherings, Filipa will hug everyone and cry because she
      loves them too much, but in the sisterly way, you understand, not
      like the peoples from the smaller villages in Lancre. But do not
      underestimate the flower childs, for they are most fierce when
      angered. The stars say that the best way to deal with such a
      relative is to nod quietly as they tell you about the healing power
      of crystals, and then mention casually that you have heard some
      cousin you dislike has bought a coat made from the baby seals, then
      stand back and enjoy the fireworks.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      The Half-Eaten Sandwich 21 Apr - 21 May

      Your relative is: the child prodigy

      Every family has the small child who is molto intelligente, with the
      doting, over-protective parents. This is like Fernando's nephew
      Lorenzio who is so polite that you want to smack him. But Fernando
      does not approve of the beatings to the small childrens, even if
      they greet Fernando at the door and say "Please come in Uncle
      Fernando, would you like to see my silage?" (Except Lorenzio says it
      in Brindisian, where it is much more beautiful.) This is the sort of
      child who will come up to you while you are trying to convince your
      cousin to introduce you to her friend from the hair-dressing school,
      and explain that the Spotted Laotan Mountain Sloth is capable for
      living for an entire year on a single grain of rice. Since violence
      is not acceptable the only way to deal with such a child is to give
      them a book, and they will sit in the corner and read for the many
      hours. But make sure it is a book written for the children at least
      seven years older than they are, or in just the few minutes they
      will finish reading it and be back to tell you about all the errors
      they have corrected.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      Herne the Hunted 22 May - 21 Jun

      Your relative is: the big quiet lump

      In every family is the person like Fernando's cousin Ossobuco, who
      is six foot ten with arms like thighs and thighs like tree-trunks,
      but who wouldn't hurt an ant, as they say. Ossobuco will sit quietly
      in the room, almost invisible except when he helps himself to
      another roast ox. People often think such a person is stupid,
      because they are big and quiet, but Fernando knows that sometimes
      they are not stupid, just having very much the depth: they sit and
      listen and watch, and know more than you might think. It is very
      embarrassment when you have finally arranged to be alone with your
      cousin's hair-dresser friend and are just starting to get to know
      her very well when you discover that your big cousin is sitting
      quietly in the corner peeling an orange. Or so Fernando is told.
      Hernians, you are molto fortunato, as such a relative is easy to
      deal with: say hello when you arrive, and goodbye when you leave,
      and pass him the salt when he asks, and he will be happy. Just don't
      offer to arm-wrestle him, not if you value the keeping of your arm.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      The Wizard's Staff and Knob 22 Jun - 22 Jul

      Your relative is: the old harpy

      Fernando is saddened for you Staffies, for the stars say that your
      relative is the old harpy. Fernando is sure you know the type:
      usually the old woman (although there are the mans harpies too) who
      loves nothing more than to complain and she-dog about everything. If
      the weather is hot, they will blame you for doing the ironing; if it
      is cold, they will accuse you of leaving the door open. The vino is
      always too sour, the pasta too spicy or not spicy enough, and it
      will be your fault. Fernando knows this very well and would perhaps
      mention a name, but he does not wish to have the Evil Eye put on
      him. The stars say that there is the one way to deal with such a
      relative: avoid them!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      Bilious, God of Hangovers 23 Jul - 23 Aug

      Your relative is: the old souse

      This is not the relative like Fernando's Uncle Alfonso, who
      sometimes drinks too much of the vino. This is like Fernando's Uncle
      Lambrusco, who arrives for the family gathering already pickled and
      goes straight for the grappa before even saying hello, and then is
      rude to everyone before throwing up and falling asleep. Even at
      funerals. Bilians, the stars say that you are likely to be this
      relative, so Fernando's advice to you is, stick to beer. You will
      get just as drunk, but your liver will last longer.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      The Celestial Parsnip 24 Aug - 23 Sept

      Your relative is: the bratty child

      Fernando knows, there is always one: the small child with the
      slingshot who will put his pet frog in your minestrone while you're
      not looking, or draw the pictures of the manly-bits (you know the
      ones) on your grand-mother's kitchen walls. Often they are sticky
      from all the sweeties they eat. The stars say that there is no point
      complaining to the parents, for they are so glad that he's
      tormenting someone other than his younger sister that they won't say
      a thing. Snippies, the stars say, and Fernando knows this is true,
      that the only cure is to accidentally drop such a child down the
      well. Yes Carlito, Fernando is talking about *you*.

      If you did not get all four parts, write: interact@...