SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT -- JUNE 2009 -- ADVANCE 'NATION' TICKETS FOR PRATCHETT FANS

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2009
      26th JUNE 2009

      SPECIAL EDITION JUNE 2009: NATIONAL THEATRE 'NATION' TICKETS OFFER

      2) SPECIAL NATIONAL THEATRE OFFER FOR PRATCHETT FANS
      3) 'NATION AT THE NATIONAL': DETAILS

      Wotcha! This is a special announcement for both UK/European WOSSNAME
      readers and any of the rest of you who might be thinking of going to
      London in November:

      As you already know, the National Theatre production of Mark
      Ravenhill's adaptation of NATION opens in November. Now the lovely
      people at the NT have made a special offer for Pratchett fans, in
      recognition of the power of fandom, to buy tickets ahead of the
      general public. I've been asked to reveal the details (see part 2
      below) on the 26th, and as it's just gone midnight in the land of
      Pratchett, here you go!

      Sadly, it's a bit far to travel from Fourecks, so I won't be going -
      but I'm happy to say that we'll have a special WOSSNAME reporter on
      the scene in November for an exclusive review and, with a bit of
      luck, some extra features.

      Remember, your secret code is 1987

      See you in a couple of days with the regular issue...

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      2) PRIORITY ONLINE BOOKING FOR TERRY PRATCHETT FANS, MONDAY 29 JUNE

      Fans of Terry Pratchett can book their tickets online ahead of the
      general public on Monday 29 June. To access priority online booking
      please follow the instructions below:

      1.Go to www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/buytickets and select Nation from
      the list of productions

      2.In the box on the right hand side of the screen labelled
      'Promotion code' enter the code 1987 and click enter.

      3.You should then click on the date that you would like to book for.

      4.Once you have selected your chosen date, you can select where in
      the theatre you would like to sit and how many tickets you would
      like to buy.

      5.If you have not booked tickets at the National Theatre before, at
      this stage you will need to register your details before you can
      purchase your tickets. If you have purchased tickets before, at this
      stage you will need to log in before payment.

      6.Once registered or logged in, proceed to check out.

      [With thanks to Tom Robertson of the National Theatre, and Colin
      Smythe, for the information]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) NATION AT THE NATIONAL: THE OFFICIAL BLURB

      Nation

      based on a novel by Terry Pratchett
      adapted by Mark Ravenhill

      "Oh I think you think I want to eat you but – no no no – I am
      offering you afternoon tea – over there – in one hour."

      A parallel world, 1860. Two teenagers thrown together by a tsunami
      that has destroyed Mau's village and left Daphne shipwrecked on his
      South Pacific island, thousands of miles from home. One wears next
      to nothing, the other a long white dress; neither speaks the other's
      language; somehow they must learn to survive. As starving refugees
      gather, Daphne delivers a baby, milks a pig, brews beer and does
      battle with a mutineer. Mau fights cannibal Raiders, discovers the
      world is round and questions the reality of his tribe's fiercely
      patriarchal gods. Together they come of age, overseen by a foul-
      mouthed parrot, as they discard old doctrine to forge a new Nation.

      Following War Horse, His Dark Materials and Coram Boy, the National
      stages Mark Ravenhill's exhilarating adaptation of Terry Pratchett's
      latest witty and challenging adventure story.

      "There's no demons, no gods. Just me. And the waves and the sun and
      birth and death. And there's no reason for anything. I'm sorry:
      that's just the way it seems to me."

      From 11 November
      Suitable for 10yrs+

      Olivier Theatre
      World Premiere

      Cast includes: Gary Carr, Emily Taaffe
      Director: Melly Still
      Set Designers: Melly Still with Mark Friend
      Costume Designer: Dinah Collin
      Lighting Designer: Paul Anderson
      Projection Designer: Jon Driscoll
      Music: Adrian Sutton