WOSSNAME -- MAY 2009 -- PART 2 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , May 28 1:37 AM
      WOSSNAME -- MAY 2009 -- PART 2 OF 5 (continued)

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, REVIEWS, AND STUFF

      13) GOING POSTAL: ALMOST READY TO START DELIVERY
      14) NATION NOMINATED FOR AUDIO AWARD
      15) THE COLOUR OF MAGIC: TOP OF THE POPS
      16) PTERRY AT THE DARWIN FESTIVAL
      17) A BLOGGER'S REVIEW: NATION
      18) THE GLORIOUS 25TH, A GOOD TIME FOR BOOKCROSSING
      19) MORE NEW DISCWORLD MINIATURES FROM MICRO ART
      20) MARVELLOUS DISCWORLD DOLLS
      21) TECHNOMANCY BRINGS DISCWORLD TO YOUR PHONE
      22) IMAGES OF THE MONTH: UNSEEN UNIVERSITY BALL
      23) GOING POSTAL NOMINATED FOR FRENCH FANTASY PRIZE
      24) NATION A FINALIST IN LOCUS AWARDS
      25) CONVENTION NEWS
      26) THE *OTHER* PRATCHETT: RHIANNA GAMES NEWS
      27) TOLKIEN'S MIS-TAKE ON FANTASY AND POPULAR CULTURE
      28) ROUNDWORLD'S PROBLEM-SOLVING LIBRARIANS

      13) GOING POSTAL: ALMOST READY TO START DELIVERY

      A note from Mob Films producer Rod Brown re the progress of Going
      Postal:

      Just a note to say all is progressing on schedule towards starting
      filming Going Postal, which is now only a matter of weeks away.

      Base camp is set up in Budapest with Jon and the troops making their
      way there as we speak, however the filming schedule, which I did
      anticipate at this time is being juggled, to allow one or two
      locations to decide when they can fit us in for filming and for the
      Golems to be ready for filming action... I'm learning quickly that
      they may be nice guys those Golems and totally reliable, but they
      take an age to walk anywhere!

      Regarding the much anticipated fan day, I think this is likely to be
      a mid August day, but more on this as the schedule firms up.

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/news/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) NATION NOMINATED FOR AUDIO AWARD

      The audiobook of Nation is a finalist for the 2009 Audie Award in
      the category of Children's titles for ages 8-12:

      "The Audie Awards, sponsored by the Audio Publishers Association
      (APA), honor spoken word recordings in 29 categories. Finalists for
      the 2009 Audies have been selected and winners will be announced on
      May 29, 2009 at a gala to be held at The New York Historical Society
      in New York City."

      http://tinyurl.com/ot858q

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) THE COLOUR OF MAGIC TOPS SKY 1 FIGURES

      The Colour of Magic topped the viewership list for the past year at
      channel Sky 1. With a total of almost two million viewers, tCoM
      almost doubled the figures for Sky's other best performing
      broadcasts:

      http://tinyurl.com/p39toa

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) OOOK! IT'S THE DARWIN FESTIVAL!

      The Darwin 2009 Anniversary Festival will take place from Sunday 5th
      July through Friday 10th July, with some very special guests:

      "If you're around, or fancy a visit to, Cambridge in July, the
      University of Cambridge will be running an entire festival dedicated
      to Darwin and evolution... Celebrating the Darwin bicentenary, the
      150th anniversary of On the Origin of Species and the 800th
      anniversary of the University of Cambridge, the festival is a mix of
      'science, society, literature, history, philosophy, theology, art
      and music arising from the writings, life and times of Charles
      Darwin presented through talks, discussions, performances,
      workshops, exhibitions and tours'... Tuesday July 7th 2009 19:30 Sir
      Terry Pratchett and Professor Jack Cohen discuss their recent book
      The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch."

      http://tinyurl.com/opvjwy

      The festival website:

      http://www.darwin2009.cam.ac.uk/

      [It would be amusing if the Discworld's God of Evolution shows up!
      -- Ed.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) A BLOGGER'S REVIEW: NATION

      "One of the most appealing aspects of the book, for me, is the
      acceptance of each other's cultures and beliefs that nearly all
      the characters display. They adopt whatever ways work for the new
      nation they're creating. And they have the greatest respect for
      everyone. Those who are traumatized by the catastrophe are cared
      for, and everyone's skills, however small, are contributions to
      the community. It's understood that everyone has suffered great
      losses and that everyone grieves and heals differently."

      http://deweymonster.com/?p=1032

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) THE GLORIOUS 25TH: A GOOD TIME FOR BOOKCROSSING

      London resident and serial bookcrosser Vekiki, who has released some
      188 books "into the wild", decided to hold a Pratchett, Discworld
      and Alzheimer's-themed bookcrossing on the 25th of May 2009. Read
      about her ideas and the responses so far:

      http://bookcrossing.com/forum/22/6187328/16

      http://bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Vekiki

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) MORE NEW DISCWORLD MINIATURES FROM MICRO ART

      Micro Art Studio are adding four more figurines to their Discworld
      collection: Otto Chriek, Mustrum Ridcully, Twoflower and Giamo
      Casanunda. The figurines aren't yet ready for sale, but soon...

      http://www.microartstudio.com/index.php/news,25

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) MARVELLOUS DISCWORLD DOLLS

      Here be the stunning results of the Discworld Dolls challenge. A
      collection of talented dollmakers put their craftiness to the test
      and came up with a wealth of familiar Discworld characters, from
      Susan Sto Helit and Death of Rats (and her grandfather, of course)
      to We R Igors to the Lancre Witches to Nac Mac Feegle and even a
      member of the Band With Rocks In. H. Wannamaker's Granny Weatherwax
      is particularly impressive, but all the dolls are excellent:

      http://www.dollstreetdreamers.com/gallery/discworld/index.htm

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      21) TECHNOMANCY COMES TO ROUNDWORLD: DW QUOTES FOR YOUR PHONE

      Just the thing to get you through a dreary workday or dull commute:
      Discworld quotations for your mobile phone! According to this site,
      "This is a small J2ME application for your mobile packed with witty
      and hilarious quotes from Terry Pratchett's Discworld. So, if you
      are a Pratchett's fan, you have to have this app on your mobile."

      http://www.getjar.com/products/26346/DiscworldQuotes

      For more info, go to:

      www.bouncingelephant.com/mobile.php

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      22) IMAGES OF THE MONTH: PEERS UNSEEN UNIVERSITY BALL

      PEERS, aka the Period Events and Entertainments Re-creation Society
      of Alameda, California, has staged an Unseen University (or
      Universty, according to the page title) Ball for the benefit of
      graduating wizards. The Ball -- surely that should be an Excuse Me?
      -- took place on 2nd May 2009, and yielded some interesting
      iconographs. As the invitation said, any suitable Ankh-Morporkian-
      style dress was appropriate, and indeed the look in the pictures is
      more general A-M than specific Discworld characters. However, some
      highlights were definitely familiar!

      http://ladyleandra.smugmug.com/gallery/8099520_3vi9D

      Magrat and Nanny - #8
      A possible Ridcully - #13
      Casanunda...or Greebo in human form? - #22
      Christine and Agnes, performing! - #24
      Dark Morris dancers - #30-39

      For more information about the Ball, go to:

      http://peers.org/unseen.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      23) GOING POSTAL NOMINATED FOR FRENCH FANTASY PRIZE

      A Discworld novel has been shortlisted for the 2009 Prix Imaginales
      in the category of "Roman ├ętranger traduit" (which is Quirmian for
      "translated novel"). As it says on the page, "Les annales du disque
      monde, Tome 30 : Timbre, trad. Patrick Couton,L'Atalante"; according
      to francophone blogger Aliette, that's Going Postal for the rest of
      us...

      http://tinyurl.com/r4o6bs
      http://aliettedb.livejournal.com/243123.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      24) NATION A FINALIST IN LOCUS AWARDS

      Nation makes the Locus Awards finalist list for Best Young Adult Novel:

      "2009 Locus Award Finalists - posted at 4/27/2009 01:34:00 PM PT
      The top five finalists in each category of the 2009 Locus Awards
      have been announced. The Locus Awards will be presented during the
      Science Fiction Awards Weekend in Seattle WA, June 26-27, 2009."

      http://tinyurl.com/dl4nlp

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      25) CONVENTION NEWS

      25.1 DISCWORLD CONVENTION 2010 MEMBERSHIP NOW OPEN

      From Karen:

      It is my great pleasure to announce that the 2010 International
      Discworld Convention is open for business! Membership and Hotel
      Bookings are now available at:

      <http://www.dwcon.org>

      We hope that the sign-up process will be seamless for you all. We've
      extended the early bird booking discount until the end of June and
      the full list of rates and when they change is on the site. The
      entire Concom are working hard to put together a really fantastic
      event and we fully expect the website to fill up with information
      over the next few weeks. We'll also be announcing our other guests
      and giving you plenty to get excited about.

      As a reminder, the convention will be taking place in the Hilton
      Birmingham Metropole from the 27th-30th August 2010. You can also
      join the event mail list /Google group at:

      <http://groups.google.com/group/dwcon_org_2010>

      We look forward to seeing you there!

      Brian,
      Chairman, Discworld Convention 2010
      info@...

      25.2 NADWCON UPDATE

      From Lee Whiteside:

      The North American Discworld Convention is moving ahead as we
      approach the three month out mark. Membership totals are close to
      650 now with a steady stream of new memberships coming through each
      week.

      We are still waiting to see if some additional guests can make it to
      the convention, but we do now know that joining us will be Terry's
      literary agent, Colin Smythe, and Terry's US editors Jennifer Brehl
      (adult) and Anne Hoppe (childrens). We are looking forward to having
      them at the convention, especially since they've graciously
      volunteered to participate in programming. They join Terry
      Pratchett, Diane Duane, Peter Morwood, Bernard Pearson and
      Toastmistress Esther M. Friesner.

      We're getting things ramped up on programming and other activities
      including a new page on the website for the Maskerade. We've about
      got the details nailed down on the banquet and information on it
      will be going out to members soon.

      The convention hotel, the Tempe Mission Palms, is now fully booked
      and a waiting list has been started with them. An an overflow hotel
      has been arranged for at the Marriott Courtyard Tempe Downtown just
      a couple of blocks away. The room rate is $99 plus tax per night for
      the weekend and booking can be done online with the group code
      "nadnada".

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      26) RHIANNA PRATCHETT NEWS

      26.1 OVERLORD II

      Rhianna Pratchett's Overlord II is due for release June 23:

      http://tinyurl.com/p7vejk (with trailer)

      26.2 OVERLORD MINIONS

      "Set in the Overlord universe and penned by renowned games writer
      Rhianna Pratchett, Overlord Minions preserves the trademark humour
      of the Overlord series and features a completely new story, which
      runs parallel with Overlord: Dark Legend... Whether they're going
      into battle, combining to perform increasingly powerful attacks or
      solving puzzles, the Minion quartet's on-going banter and playful-
      yet-ferociously-violent nature perfectly compliments the unfolding
      carnage..."

      http://tinyurl.com/o28zrl

      26.3 RHIANNA INTERVIEWED BY SPonG

      "Then it was all about working with the individual designers to hone
      each level script so it met both the needs of gameplay and the needs
      of narrative. One of the great things about working with Triumph is
      that I had complete access to the entire team."

      http://spong.com/feature/10109915

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      27) TOLKIEN HAD IT WRONG, ESPECIALLY ABOUT THE TURTLES

      An interesting article in The National magazine about JRR Tolkien,
      snobbery, high fantasy and popular culture:

      "JRR Tolkien was famously appalled by the eagerness with which
      American hippies in the 1960s snapped up his tales of hobbits, elves
      and wizards... Without his particular brand of high or epic fantasy
      -- its feudal Celtic settings, Edwardian cadences and contrasting
      dramatisations of good and evil -- our shelves would be bare of the
      kind of bulging, bodice-ripping, medieval fantasy that buys yachts
      for people such as David Eddings, Julian May and CJ Cherryh. Not a
      bad thing, perhaps. But writers such as Terry Pratchett, Roger
      Zelazny and Ursula K Le Guin might also be denied a crucial
      inspiration..."

      http://tinyurl.com/p2xf5l

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      28) ROUNDWORLD LIBRARIANS ARE CLEVER APES TOO

      Karta, an ingenious 27-year-old female orangutan resident at
      Adelaide Zoo, solved various complex engineering problems in order
      to escape her enclosure for a wander. Head zookeeper Peter Whitehead
      said, "You're talking about an animal that's highly intelligent...
      We've had issues with her before in normal day to day operations
      where she tries to outsmart the keepers. So in this case she's
      decided to make a ladder and try to get out of her exhibit."

      http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25456799-2,00.html

      Also, noted science blogger Pharyngula covered the story:

      http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/05/mcgyver_lives.php

      There are a number of comments of note below his post, e.g.:

      "Actually she'd just returned from a few pints and a brawl at The
      Mended Drum but made a extremely minor miscalculation and wound up
      on the wrong side of the fence. Hence the elaborate ruse to fool
      the servants into thinking it was an escape attempt. Librarians
      protect the secret of L-Space! It's one of the three cardinal rules
      of True Librarianship."

      ...and it's well worth scrolling all the way down to the later
      comments, especially the numerous talk of the UU Librarian, and this
      one at number #96, quoting from a public editorial The Guardian:

      "Man is one of our closest and most enigmatic cousins. The species
      is intelligent and inquisitive and spends large amounts of time
      looking at us. Like us, they have the ability to learn the value of
      tokens and trade them, although that activity has been causing them
      some anxiety of late. One of our researchers, Karta, conducted an
      experiment recently..."

      (Originally published at http://tinyurl.com/qb9utr )

      ...and a nice story about two former Roundworld librarians, Ken
      Allen and Kumang, in comment #43:

      "I met him once a few years before his death from cancer, and
      demonstrated the human's precision grip. A grip it is physically
      impossible for the great apes to do because of their manual anatomy.
      I left him pondering his hand, and evidently asking himself, 'How
      did he do that?'"