WOSSNAME -- APRIL 2009 -- PART 2 OF 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2009
      WOSSNAME -- APRIL 2009 -- PART 2 OF 4 (continued)

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, REVIEWS, AND STUFF

      13) MORE NEW DISCWORLD FIGURINES FROM MICRO ART STUDIOS
      14) REVIEW: MAKING MONEY, IN io9
      15) REVIEW: MAKING MONEY, IN BOOK EXAMINER
      16) REVIEW: THE COLOUR OF MAGIC FILM
      17) STILL THE FUNNIEST
      18) PTERRY'S DA MAN...
      19) ...AND ALSO ONE OF THE TOP FANTASY AUTHORS OF ALL TIME...
      20) ASK THEM ABOUT CARDS
      21) NEW LIBRARIES NEEDED FOR NEW LIBRARIANS?
      22) DEATH OF...TATTS?
      23) ZOMBIE IMAGE, NEEDS A REVAMP, SAYS REG SHOE
      24) GAMING NEWS: MIRROR'S EDGE REVIEWED
      25) THE PLAY'S THE THING
      26) CONVENTION NEWS
      27) WHERE THE UNIVERSES MEET: ROUNDWORLD'S DISCWORLD-Y BITS

      13) MORE NEW DISCWORLD FIGURINES FROM MICRO ART STUDIOS

      Cohen the Barbarian, with cane and very big broadsword: 9.76 Euro
      The Librarian, with quill pen, inkpot, and (b)ook: 8.54 Euro
      Death, with excellent Bardic-looking guitar: 9.76 Euro

      All figurines are 30mm high and unpainted.

      http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/index.php

      Also, blogger Tianna Starfall provides images of the figurines in
      their unpainted state:

      http://tinyurl.com/cnftcg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) REVIEW: MAKING MONEY, IN io9

      by Austin Grossman:

      "The comic results of contemporary capitalism mixed in with heroic
      fantasy - as old as Bilbo's contractual negotiations with a wizard
      and a band of dwarves - are in full play here. The arrival of a
      cohort of golems threatens not mayhem, but a labor shortage; an
      alchemical economic instrument reveals the witchy reversibility of
      causation between economic model and reality, courtesy a mad
      scientist (er simulationist-economist) and his Igor... Pratchett
      makes everything look easy - you get the sense that he's one of the
      smartest people writing fantasy out there, but he just doesn't feel
      like showing it off."

      http://tinyurl.com/dxhwjs

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      15) REVIEW: MAKING MONEY, IN BOOK EXAMINER

      by Michelle Kerns:

      "Pratchett is in top form in Making Money. Who else, after 32
      hilarious, cult-inducing Discworld books could still manage to
      create characters like Mr. Fusspot's canine chef, Aimsbury, who is
      allergic to the word "garlic"? (Not the substance itself; just
      the word—it makes him throw a knife and speak in fluent Quirmian
      for four seconds). Or Gladys the golem who wears a blue dress and
      insists to Moist that A Man And A Young Woman Should Not Be In The
      Same Bedroom, despite the fact that golems are, not to put too fine
      a point upon it, sexless... At the rate Mr. Pratchett is going, he
      will soon have enough money to purchase 1/4 of his native England,
      the other 3 bits of course being currently owned by the Queen,
      J.K.Rowling, and Paul McCartney..."

      http://tinyurl.com/d7fvbu

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) REVIEW: tCoM FILM

      by Jay Allen Sanford of the San Diego Reader

      "So the movie seems to be a low-budget but fairly accurate TV
      transcription of Pratchett's usual entry-level teen fiction take on
      the fantasy genre. Yeah, it's boneheaded at times, but at least the
      low common denominator it aims for is usually a funny denominator.
      To paraphrase the late Don Thompson, If you LIKE that sort of thing,
      this is that sort of thing."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1s13

      [Editor's note: You'll have to scroll down the page a bit to find
      the review, but the journey is worthwhile. The San Diego Reader's
      format is fun, funky, creative and striking, and takes advantage of
      the "visuality" of the medium without inflicting endless Flash
      widgets on us long-suffering viewers. The web designers over at io9
      should take note...]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) STILL THE FUNNIEST

      Book Examiner's 10 funniest books of all time
      Examiner.com - USA

      "Few authors have managed to be as consistently witty and amusing
      over as many books as Mr. Pratchett has in his Discworld series.
      They are all different, and they are all -- and I mean all 37 of
      them -- hilarious reads."

      http://tinyurl.com/cvcyy8

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) PTERRY'S DA MAN...

      Here be an interesting, longish thread about Pratchett and his
      books, on the Escapist Magazine forum:

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1s18

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) ...AND HE'S ONE OF THE TOP FANTASY AUTHORS OF ALL TIME...

      ...but we already knew that! On Mania.com, Tim Janson lists his all-
      time top 20 and gives Pterry the number 3 spot, behind pulp-fantasy
      genius Robert E. Howard (creator of the original Conan the
      Barbarian, in case any of you didn't already know) and J.R.R.
      Tolkien. Janson's list is interesting and well thought out, and has
      some lively comments at the bottom of the page.

      http://tinyurl.com/c7zjl8

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      20) ASK THEM ABOUT CARDS

      The April 2009 issue of the leading card collectors magazine "Card
      Times" includes a two-page feature on Discworld Picture Cards and
      Pterry's plans for a set of promotional Football Cards to be issued
      with copies of Unseen Academicals.

      Current issues of the magazine cost GBP2.10. Card Times contact
      details can be found on their website:

      http://www.cardtimes.co.uk/ctindex.htm

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      21) NEW LIBRARIES NEEDED FOR NEW LIBRARIANS?

      We have new Librarians! A "significant" new population of
      orangutans, possibly as many as 2,000 of our favourite apes, has
      been discovered in Borneo:

      "A Nature Conservancy field team said although the exact number of
      orangutans found in a nearly inaccessible part of Borneo is still
      undetermined, it is believed a 'medium density' of the primates
      exists in the 2-million-acre forested area in the Sangkulirant
      mountains..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cq455n

      "Conservationists say the most immediate next step will be working
      with local authorities to protect the area and others that fall
      outside of national parks. A previously undiscovered population of
      several hundred also was found recently on Sumatra island, home to
      around 7,000..."

      http://tinyurl.com/d83go5

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      22) DEATH OF...TATTS?

      We know about wearing your heart on your sleeve, but blogger Lisa
      Rabey chose to wear her favourite anthropomorphic personification
      instead. Here, she displays her excellent Death and Death of Rats
      tattoo:

      http://www.contrariwise.org/category/books/terry-pratchett/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      23) ZOMBIE IMAGE, NEEDS A REVAMP, SAYS REG SHOE

      In Firefox News, Shoe called for an end to uncomplimentary
      portrayals of zombies in movies such as 28 Days Later, Shawn of the
      Dead, Day of the Dead and the TV show Supernatural: "These shows
      only reinforce negative stereotypes."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1s10

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      24) GAMING NEWS: MIRROR'S EDGE REVIEWED

      Here be an extensive review in Digital Wasteland of Rhianna
      Pratchett's most recently written game, Mirror's Edge:

      "Like I mentioned at the head of this article, the story was written
      by Rhianna Pratchett. So far I'm becoming a fan of what she works
      on. I absolutely loved Overlord... Mirror's Edge is definitely
      something any gamer should pick up and try. It isn't punishingly
      hard, but it has some challenge to it..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cv9lu4

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      25) THE PLAY'S THE THING

      25.1 WYRD SISTERS IN ARRAN

      Putting on Wyrd Sisters up in Feegle and Felmet country is a labour
      of love for the Arran Torch Players, who present their production of
      Stephen Briggs' adaptation at the end of this month:

      "Staging a show with 23 scenes in just over two hours is also a
      challenge, not to mention the stage flashes which are required, and
      scenery building is getting more frantic as the dates for the show
      rapidly approach..."

      http://tinyurl.com/dandmq

      When: April 30 and May 1 and 2
      Venue: Lamlash Community Theatre
      Time: 7.30 pm.
      Tickets: available from The Book and Card Centre, Brodick, Old Pier
      Tearoom, Lamlash or Village Shop, Whiting Bay, cast members, or at
      the door on the night (if not sold out)

      [Editor's note: unfortunately, the Torch Players' website --
      http://www.arrantorchplayers.co.uk/ -- hasn't been updated yet, so
      no ticket prices are listed anywhere.]

      25.2 REVIEWS OF MAKING MONEY IN ADELAIDE

      Making Money, by the Unseen Theatre Company
      Reviewed by Stephen Davenport of the Independent Review

      "Unseen's timing is almost perfect and the ensemble proves that
      'Sometimes glass glitters more than diamonds because it has more to
      prove.' This crew know exactly how far to take the overacting
      without losing the play's balance between humour and sardonic
      bite..."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1rye

      Also reviewed in Adelaide Now by Ewart Shaw

      "It is advisable to have read the book before you go, or like that
      aforementioned tourist, you may be utterly confused but amused at
      irregular intervals."

      http://www.tinyurl..com.au/x.php?1s17

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      26) CONVENTION NEWS

      IRISH DISCWORLD CONVENTION

      http://www.idwcon.org

      Friday 6th November - Monday 9th November 2009
      The Falls Hotel, Ennistymon, Co. Clare, Ireland

      Sabremeister, Programme Head of IDWCon09, writes:

      Following a serious bout of post-Convention enthusiasm last
      August, we are pleased to announce that the first ever DiscWorld
      Convention in Ireland will be held in November 2009, in a very
      nice hotel in County Clare.

      We have invited Bernard Pearson, Colin Smythe, Ian Stewart & Jack
      Cohen, Diane Duane and Peter Morwood to be Guests, with Sir Terry
      Pratchett OBE and Stephen Briggs as Guests of Honour. Bernard
      Pearson and Jack Cohen have confirmed that they will be attending,
      as has Sir Terry (health permitting).

      The website is now online, where you can find out about the hotel,
      some of the events, and there are also forums available for
      discussing things.

      The membership is now open and we are ready for you to dedicate
      your allegiance. Sign up quick!quick! because we have a membership
      limitations of 300.

      - From the membership page you can apply and volunteer for tech,
      ops, watch or gophering, if you wish (we will be rewarding you!)
      and you can sign up for the posh dinner (approx. 35 euros).
      But be wary, here be dangerous monsters.

      You may know that your membership number will allow you to avail
      of the hotel rooms - and if you didn't, now you do. The hotel room
      prices are 65euros per person sharing per night, with under 14
      half price and children under 6 go free. We are hoping to have a
      better prices but that'll be decided later. Anyone who books
      before the prices are changed will still avail of the newer
      (better) prices so don't fret.

      We intend to make this the biggest, best and most fun DiscWorld
      event in Ireland, so come along and join us for the best weekend
      you'll have in November!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      27) WHERE THE UNIVERSES MEET

      27.1 ANKH-MORPORK IN NEW GUINEA

      Blogger Vlad the Impala sees some close parallels between
      traditional A-M civic activities and the tricky job of policing the
      Papua New Guinea Highlands:

      "We have the old, pre-'Guards Guards' Night Watch in action... And a
      touch of the old Night Watch, when it was run by street monsters...
      PNG highlanders still retained a strong element of traditional
      dwarfish 'clang'... Traditional Ankh-Morpork activities are a big
      part of life in the PNG highlands..."

      http://tinyurl.com/c58srr

      27.2 THE REAL NOBBY AND COLON?

      A recent court case in Melbourne, about an alleged assault at an
      Australian Rules football game, included testimony that the
      defendant had come to several police officers' attention during the
      game for "eyeballing us as police members". Surely nostrilling
      couldn't have been far behind...

      http://tinyurl.com/cpwd7z

      27.3 SO THAT'S WHAT BECAME OF OLD GRANDDAD...

      He retired to the New Hampshire mountains:

      "The writer Nathaniel Hawthorne used the Old Man as inspiration for
      his short story "The Great Stone Face," published in 1850, in which
      he described the formation as 'a work of Nature in her mood of
      majestic playfulness'. The profile has been New Hampshire's state
      emblem since 1945..."

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Man_of_the_Mountain

      If you did not get all four parts, write: interact@...