WOSSNAME -- APRIL 2009 -- PART 1 OF 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2009
      APRIL 2009 (Volume 12, Issue 4)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      3) TREACLE MINE ROAD: IT'S OFFICIAL
      4) NATION WINS L.A. TIMES BOOK AWARD
      5) THE COLO(U)R OF MAGIC USA DVD RELEASE
      6) TRUCKERS: POSSIBLY A MOVIE AFTER ALL
      7) BEAT BULLYING AUCTION
      8) PTERRY INTERVIEW: SECRETS OF FOUL OLE RON
      9) BACK TO BATH
      10) RED CARPET, RED DWARF
      11) TERRY PRATCHETT, PRIDE OF INDIA
      12) NOW AVAILABLE: THE FOOLS' GUILD BADGE!

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, REVIEWS, AND STUFF

      13) MORE NEW DISCWORLD FIGURINES FROM MICRO ART STUDIOS
      14) REVIEW: MAKING MONEY, IN io9
      15) REVIEW: MAKING MONEY, IN BOOK EXAMINER
      16) REVIEW: THE COLOUR OF MAGIC FILM
      17) STILL THE FUNNIEST
      18) PTERRY'S DA MAN...
      19) ...AND ALSO ONE OF THE TOP FANTASY AUTHORS OF ALL TIME...
      20) ASK THEM ABOUT CARDS
      21) NEW LIBRARIES NEEDED FOR NEW LIBRARIANS?
      22) DEATH OF...TATTS?
      23) ZOMBIE IMAGE, NEEDS A REVAMP, SAYS REG SHOE
      24) GAMING NEWS: MIRROR'S EDGE REVIEWED
      25) THE PLAY'S THE THING
      26) CONVENTION NEWS
      27) WHERE THE UNIVERSES MEET: ROUNDWORLD'S DISCWORLD-Y BITS

      ====Part 3 -- ...AND MORE...

      28) ABP BITS
      29) THE BISHOP'S BLOG
      30) DISCWORLD FANAC ATTACK!
      31) IMAGE OF THE MONTH: DISCWORLD DOLLS
      32) THE WEARING OF THE LILAC -- FOR ALZHEIMER'S RESEARCH
      33) NEW KIDBY TATTOO SHEETS
      34) WEIRD ALICE PRESENTS: A BIRTHDAY PAEAN TO PTERRY

      ====Part 4 -- HOROSCOPE, AND CLOSE

      35) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      1) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "You might never win, but at least you could try. If not you, who
      else?"

      -- Only You Can Save Mankind

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      2) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PTERRY!

      Sir Terry Pratchett turns 61 on the 28th of this month, and what
      better birthday presents than yet another prestigious book award and
      two streets named after his own Discworld creations!

      In the wake of his knighthood, his campaigning on behalf of
      Alzheimer's Disease research, and an ever-increasing number of media
      adaptations of his writings, the name Terry Pratchett is daily
      becoming even better known around the world. In fact, some now refer
      to him as a "brand". But underneath the well-deserved glitz and
      glamour, our favourite author remains first and foremost an author;
      a recent Pterry ptweet on Ptwitter went in its entirety, "Writing.
      Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing.
      Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. Writing." This
      is the sort of news we want most to hear.

      And now, on with the news, reviews, interviews, stuff and
      nonsense...

      -- Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      3) TREACLE MINE ROAD: IT'S IN ROUNDWORLD NOW

      The street names were proposed and shortlisted, the votes were
      counted, and now Wincanton in the English shire of Somerset --
      twinned with Ankh-Morpork on the shores of the Circle Sea -- has two
      very special new residential thoroughfares, Treacle Mine Road and
      Peach Pie Street!

      A good long piece about it in The Independent:

      "Wincanton vs Discworld: Wincanton is a small town in Somerset on
      the A303, the main route to London. Discworld is a flat planet
      balanced on the backs of four elephants which, in turn, stand on the
      back of a giant turtle. Wincanton has a population of 4,943.
      Discworld's population consists of a number of trolls, dwarfs,
      witches and vampires..."

      http://tinyurl.com/d7boj7

      ...and in The Register:

      "Some 30 residents of the Kingwell Rise development in Wincanton
      will in future be able to boast they live on either Peach Pie Street
      or Treacle Mine Road - an agreeable result of the town's official
      twinning in 2002 with the fictional city of Ankh-Morpork. Sir Terry
      said: 'It's a lovely idea, to do something for the sheer joy and
      incongruity of doing it. I have to say well done to Wimpey for
      having the guts to do this. It's nice that an organisation should
      unbend and join in the fun. These are nice names, even though I say
      it myself. Personally, I'd pay good money to live somewhere called
      Treacle Mine Road.'"

      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/06/treacle_mine_road/

      ...and the BBC:

      "Peach Pie Street and Treacle Mine Road are included in a list named
      in honour of the comic fantasy novels at the Kingwell Rise
      development in Wincanton... Sir Terry visited the town to unveil the
      road names... He said: 'I think it's a lovely idea, even though it
      makes my head spin to think of the books becoming a little closer to
      reality.' Councillor Colin Winder, former Mayor of Wincanton, said:
      'The association with Discworld works extremely well for our town,
      helping to boost the local economy. I even know of three families
      who moved to Wincanton because of this quirky connection.'"

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7984118.stm

      [Editor's note: I wonder if former mayor Winder is any relation to a
      certain former Patrician of Ankh-Morpork. Let's hope there's no
      family resemblance...]

      from The Telegraph:

      Richard Goad, regional sales and marketing director for George
      Wimpey, said: 'We couldn't have asked for a more authoritative
      expert on the subject than Sir Terry himself, so we are delighted he
      agreed to be involved with this unique project.'"

      http://tinyurl.com/dkh7l3

      ...and The Guardian:

      "Pratchett visited the town today to unveil the road names at a new
      housing estate, and was greeted by hundreds of fans – many dressed
      in costume..."

      http://tinyurl.com/d2otcy

      ...and Pterry's local news organ, This Is The West Country:

      "[Wimpey's] regional sales director Richard Goad said: 'Usually
      street names are boring. Sometimes the local council will name roads
      after councillors. When we suggested this to Somerset County
      Council, they loved it.'"

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1s0v

      ...and a post from novelist and blogger Jenny Davidson, with a
      reprint of that excellent portrait of the Author, his street signs,
      and a couple of familiar characters:

      http://jennydavidson.blogspot.com/2009/04/treacle-mine-road.html

      But the possible existence of Treacle Mine road in Roundworld wasn't
      always so likely, as there was opposition from on high to the
      original town twinning. The Cunning Artificer, Bernard Pearson, was
      quoted in this 2003 article as saying: "It is po-faced and sad -
      there are 29 to 30 million readers of Terry's books, many of whom
      are bound to drive along the A303 because they've been visiting
      Stonehenge or are visiting the West Country."

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/3002242.stm

      Another piece on the twinning troubles, in The Escapist online
      magazine:

      "Back in 2003, the government steadfastly refused to have official
      'twinning' status added to the roadsigns as 'twin towns actually
      have to exist'. Luckily, Vetenari[sic] seems to have had a word with
      them and now the roadsigns proudly display their loyalty."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1s19

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      4) NATION WINS L.A. TIMES BOOK AWARD

      Terry Pratchett's Nation has won the 2009 L.A. Times Book Award in
      the Young Adult literature category, beating out an illustrious
      shortlist that included Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book.

      "Leading for humor was Terry Pratchett, who accepted his prize for
      young adult novel by video. The tape showed Pratchett leaning back
      in a chair, books to one side and a stiff, somewhat cranky cat on
      the other. Pratchett occasionally directed his remarks to the
      cat..."

      http://tinyurl.com/cprluw

      The complete list of winners and finalists:

      http://tinyurl.com/anjrzy

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      5) THE COLOUR OF MAGIC: USA DVD RELEASE

      The Colour of Magic (or "Color", as it says on the box) DVD will be
      released in the US on 14th July. Presented in widescreen with a
      running time of 197 minutes, the SRP is $14.95, but there is a
      discount on pre-orders through Amazon.

      http://tinyurl.com/d4jaaj

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      6) TRUCKERS: POSSIBLY A MOVIE AFTER ALL

      Fresh from his Oscars triumph for Slumdog Millionaire, screenwriter
      Simon Beaufoy is apparently set to adapt Truckers for a DreamWorks
      animated feature film. If this is now confirmed, it doesn't seem to
      have reached the official Pratchett news organs yet...

      Here be some links to the story:

      http://tinyurl.com/d45qs2 (Hollywood Reporter)
      http://www.movies.ie/html/article.aspx?articleid=4427
      http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00023086.html
      http://tinyurl.com/daecdg (Animated News)

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      7) BEAT BULLYING AUCTION

      Beatbullying.org's Cybermentors campaign recently held an eBay
      auction of "sci-fi items" to raise funds for the anti-bullying
      charity. Among the items: Doctor Who and Torchwood scripts, Rimmer's
      nose (no, really) -- and a signed copy of Wintersmith. The winning
      bid for the books was £34.22; the winning bid for Rimmer's nose was
      £100.00. Not sure what we should make of that, but it's all for a
      good cause!

      http://tinyurl.com/cp3v5l
      http://www.beatbullying.org/
      http://www.cybermentors.org.uk/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      8) SECRETS OF FOUL OLE RON: SUBTERRANEAN PRESS INTERVIEWS PTERRY

      "It's only in the last few weeks I've actually gotten to the
      point where I've got all my ducks lined up...."

      In which the Author recounts the true provenance of "millennium hand
      and shrimp", talks about his research for Nation, and drops more
      hints about Unseen Academicals:

      http://tinyurl.com/dmagm3

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      9) BACK TO BATH

      Pterry recently attended a reunion for former staff of The Bath
      Chronicle. "Sir Terry -- who has become a campaigner for more
      spending on Alzheimer's treatment and research since developing the
      condition -- had been on 'fine form' at the reunion at the Cork bar
      in Westgate Buildings. 'We didn't treat him any differently and I
      think he was grateful not to be treated as a celebrity'..."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1s0y

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) RED CARPET, RED DWARF

      "Let's face it...after all that time, out there in space, you're
      gonna look more like Lister than like Captain Kirk..."

      A certain well-known science fiction (and fantasy) author and Red
      Dwarf fan is interviewed on the red carpet at the premiere of the
      series' first new episodes in ten years:

      http://tinyurl.com/dhw9ex

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) TERRY PRATCHETT, PRIDE OF INDIA

      A general comment on Pratchett and Discworld from the Hindu Business
      Line:

      "But it isn't difficult to see the appeal of Pratchett's model of
      writing. Unlike other fantasy writers, he doesn't believe in
      creating extraordinary destinies, or even heroes who are slightly
      out of the ordinary: no Harry Potters or Luke Skywalkers here.
      Unlike other bestsellers, he doesn't write the same book over and
      over again: each book he's written, even if with the same
      characters, has taken on substantially different themes."

      http://www.tinyurl.com.au/x.php?1s0x

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) NOW AVAILABLE: THE FOOLS' GUILD BADGE! JEWELLED! WITH REAL
      JEWELS!

      ...or at least, real *faux* jewels. PJSM Prints now offers the
      latest in their exclusive line of Discworld pin badges, the
      memorable 1.6 inch Fools' Guild badge. In their own words -- that's
      PJSM Prints, not the Fools' Guild:

      "Our April pin shows the Fools' Guild crest punching through a paper
      hoop supported by two circus dogs sitting above a ribbon baring the
      motto of the Guild: "Dico, Dico, Dico". The pin uses two types of
      plating to help bring out the details in the 3D areas of the design
      as well as the edging for the hoop and the patches on the dogs. We
      have also included faux rubies for the clown hats and the heraldic
      representation of the "red nose" on the crest itself."

      Price per pin badge is £29.99

      As always, this badge release is a limited one. All the other badges
      have long since sold out, and the Fools' Guild badge has been
      available since 20th April, so get your order in fast -- boom boom!

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/pins/index.html

      [Editor's note: also, the Death figurine (with lifetimer, scythe and
      Death of Rats) and Assassins' Guild or City Watch book/laptop
      messenger bag and reporter bag, as featured in WOSSNAME, are still
      available at PJSM Prints.]

      If you did not get all four parts, write: interact@...