    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2001
      March 2001 (Volume 4, Issue 3)

      continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      Editor in Chief: Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Geof Johns, Michael Jones
      Art Director : Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Becky Swaney
      Convention News Editor: Megan Perry
      Calling the History Monks
      ==Part 1
      1. Report from Colin Smythe
      2. New HarperCollins Site
      3. Book Review: The Thief of Time
      4. Poetry Corner
      ==Part 2
      5. The Thief of Time: UK Tour
      6. The Limerick Contest
      7. Letters from Our Readers
      ==Part 3
      8. Puzzle: Seek a Terry Word

      To our great surprise and horror, we just discovered
      that WOSSNAME has moved one year into the
      future without telling anybody. Our volume number
      which had been Vol. 1 in 1998, Vol. 2 in 1999, and
      Vol. 3 in 2000, then moved into Vol. 4 in December,
      and is now in Vol. 5 in 2001. We have, of course,
      hastily corrected it with this issue, and hope the
      History Monks can be persuaded to rewrite the past
      so that it never happened.

      Thinking of awards, Terry's voting figures in SFX magazine's
      readers' awards for 2000 (in the Spring 2001 issue) are impressive.

      Under Best Original SF/Fantasy Novel, votes for Terry's books
      were split between The Truth (17%) and The Fifth Elephant (10.1%),
      amounting to 27.1% of those who voted. (The winner, Iain M. Banks'
      Look to Windward polled 18.5%)

      Nearly a quarter (23.7%) of SFX's readers who voted thought Terry
      was 2000's Best SF/Fantasy Author. No. 2 was Iain M. Banks,
      with 12% of the vote.

      Terry's been queried about the services to bookselling bit of his
      Nibby (see the latest issue of Ansible). But think of the masses
      of books he's sold - I'd guess in the region of 22 million worldwide
      - and how he's helped booksellers survive as a result. And
      publishers too, for that matter. An email I received recently from
      one in Eastern Europe implied that if Terry didn't exist, neither
      would his publishing house. (And I can think of a number of Irish
      authors' books that wouldn't have been published either.)

      Footnote: I've wondered what the letters JCB - "Jekub"
      (belonging to the Blackbury Sand and Gravel PLC) in 'Diggers'
      stood for, and no one I asked was able to tell me - obviously
      I asked the wrong people. Today's obituary page in the Daily
      Telegraph gave me the answer - J. C. Bamford, whose initials
      became the dictionary definition of an excavator, started his
      business after WW2, paying fifty shillings for welding equipment,
      and starting with steel from disused air raid shelters, the first
      named JCB being marketed in 1953.

      -- Colin Smythe

      Some of you may have heard that pTerry recently got an award "For
      Services to Bookselling" & wondered, as what precisely that
      meant.Here's the explanation - in his own words

      "A few weeks ago I was given an award by the Booksellers Association
      in the UK. It was rather...odd. I've been shortlisted as Author of the
      Year five times, I think (but since it's an award for *all* authors, it
      tends to get picked up by travel and cookery writers:-) This year
      they invented the award 'For Services to Bookselling' just to give it to
      me. Roughly translated, it meant 'Sold Shitloads Of Books In A Genre
      Usually Ignored When We Give Out Awards' ."

      -- Mark Barltrop aka Tachyon (tachyon@...)

      OnLine Marketing at HarperCollins Publishers USA is on the verge
      of launching terrypratchettfbooks.com and thiefoftime.net to coincide
      with the release of THIEF OF TIME. They plan on launching the site
      on April 1, 2001.

      The sites will include a mix of Discworld facts, special intro
      messages from Terry, excerpts from all of his books currently
      released in the USA, a THIEF OF TIME give-away sweeps and
      discussion boards.

      -- Abigail Kunath
      Online Marketing Manager
      HarperCollins Publishers

      3) BOOK REVIEW:

      May 2001
      336 pages, HarperCollins, hardcover, $25.00 ($20.00 Amazon.com)
      Audio Version, unabridged, $40.00 ($36.00 Amazon.com)
      6 -city author tour: Boston, Los Angeles,
      New York, San Diego, Seattle,
      San Francisco

      (An advance copy of THE THIEF OF TIME
      was generously donated to WOSSNAME by
      Jennifer Brehl, Pratchett's editor at

      Terry Pratchett's new book is a gem. Not
      only is there a lot more fantasy in it than
      in his last few books, but many of your
      favorites are back: Susan, Nanny Ogg,
      Igor, all with major roles to play.

      The plot, basically, is that the Auditors
      have worked out a new plan to restore harmony
      to the universe by stopping Time and eliminating
      all those pesky life forms, especially people.

      Opposing them are a ragtag rabble of heroes
      including a floor sweeper, a patched-together
      creature from Uberwald, the History Monks, and
      Death's granddaughter.

      Death is not allowed to help them officially,
      but instead is forced to go around trying to
      line up the other three Horsemen to participate
      in the ending of the world. They're not interested.

      And then there's Ronnie, the former fifth
      Horseman, who quit the group before it got

      But Time, it seems, is a Lady. She has had a son
      by a mortal, and he has a very severe case of split

      It's interesting to note that both Terry Pratchett
      and Piers Anthony came up with personifications of
      Death in the same year (1983).

      Anthony, however, used up the theme in his seven-book
      "Incarnations of Immortality" series, while Pratchett
      focused mainly on Death and turned him into one of
      the most popular and appealing characters in modern
      fantasy fiction

      All in all, a rollicking romp through time and space,
      and a very worthwhile addition to your Pratchett

      -- Joe Schaumburger

      Walking through the city streets at dawn
      You see a place with odd bits on
      A bar been broken - the Mended Drum
      The sunlight as sticky as been-chewed gum
      The shadows in corners so dark and dank
      That cabbage-y smell is the city Ankh
      With a river so thick on top you can walk
      And Creatures of the Night, attempting to stalk
      A man in a dress with a pointy hat
      He says he's a wizzard (don't know about that)
      He talks to a tall fellow, dressed in all black
      And you think you can see the chills down his back
      He runs and he hides, to live another day
      For his whole life, knowing no other way
      And following the man, more frightening than any fleet
      A simple wooden box, with hundreds of feet

      -- Megan Perry