WOSSNAME -- MARCH 2009 -- PART 6 OF 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2009
      WOSSNAME -- MARCH 2009 -- PART 6 OF 6 (continued)

      ====Part 6 -- LATE BREAKING NEWS, AND CLOSE

      29) LATE BREAKING NEWS

      29) LATE BREAKING NEWS...AND STUFF

      29.1 2009 LOCUS AWARDS: VOTING IS STILL OPEN FOR NATION

      Nominations for the Locus Awards are open until April 15, and Nation
      is included in the Young Adult selection menu. According to Locus
      Magazine, "subscriber votes count twice as much as non-subscriber
      votes," so you don't *have* to be a Locus subscriber to nominate a
      book. Be warned, though: the accompanying survey's might seem overly
      invasive to some readers. Still, we want to see nation win, right?

      Also worth noting -- The Unofficial Companion to the Novels of Terry
      Pratchett is listed as a choice in the Non-Fiction/Art category.

      https://secure.locusmag.com/2009/2009PollAndSurvey.html

      29.2 PLAYS NEWS: MAKING MONEY IN FOURECKS

      The Unseen Theatre Company in Adelaide, South Australia, continues
      its excellent run of Discworld plays with a production of Stephen
      Briggs' adaptation of Making Money in April 2009. Directed once
      again by the talented and dedicated Pamela Munt, this production
      looks like a Fourecksian winner. Moist's golden suit certainly
      shines! For those of you Down Under, this is a don't-miss.

      When: April 10 to 25 (Wed to Sat) at 8pm
      Venue: Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide
      Tickets: $15/ Adult $18/ Concession $15
      Bookings: www.bakehousetheatre.com

      http://www.fringebenefits.com.au/?p=1141

      29.3 REVIEW: THE COLOUR OF MAGIC SCREEN VERSION

      "I purchased HOGFATHER, a 2 part UK TV movie based on one of the
      later Discworld books and enjoyed it quite a bit. More recently,
      I've had a chance to watch the paradoxically newer 2 parter based on
      the first two books, THE COLOUR OF MAGIC and THE LIGHT FANTASTIC!
      It's even better. The problem with any of these types of shows is
      the pacing. As a 2 parter, it can sometimes seem a bit leisurely and
      episodic. That didn't for a second keep me from enjoying this
      colorful concoction immensely! [David Jason] gives the role a
      quirky, fidgety, mumbling, cowardly performance that delightfully
      steals every scene he's in, even with such legendary scene-stealers
      as Curry around."

      http://booksteveslibrary.blogspot.com/2009/03/colour-of-magic.html

      29.4 REVIEW: NATION UNDER THE PSYCHOLOGIST'S GAZE

      From Robert Elliott, Professor of Headology -- all right, Professor
      of Counselling -- at Scotland's University of Strathclyde:

      "At a deeper level, however, the book is centrally and most
      consistently about how we all have to differentiate ourselves from
      our respective cultural traditions while still preserving continuity
      with the past. Which voices of parents, grandparents, peers,
      ancestors do we ignore because they are no longer relevant, which
      ones do we simply follow, and which ones do we listen to and make
      our own by modifying or adapting them in the current situation? This
      is a universal developmental challenge, and Pratchett does a lovely
      job of portraying how these cultural voices live in us, even in the
      absence of external others to remind us and to reinforce these
      views."

      http://pe-eft.blogspot.com/2009/03/nation-by-terry-pratchett.html

      29.5 REVIEW: NATION

      Book blogger Anastasia was very, very impressed by Nation:

      "I've read other Terry Pratchett books before, mostly Discworld
      series ones, so I was expecting Nation to be in the same vein as
      them. I was actually pleasantly surprised to find that it's not like
      a Discworld book at all; it's got humorous bits in it, of course,
      and there's a few footnotes scattered throughout, but it's nowhere
      on the same hilarity level as the Discworld books are. Instead, it's
      a sensitive, wonderful story about death and growing up and religion
      and even colonialism, and it's told in a way that makes it all
      bearable without turning it into a farce."

      http://tinyurl.com/czpjuu

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      30) AND IT'S GOODNIGHT FROM US

      Finally, I'd like to reflect on how the works of Pratchett have
      influenced our lives in wonderful little ways. For example, I
      received a text message the other day from a young friend in
      Roundworld's Llamedos; she was stuck on a train in less than
      pleasant circumstances, but put it this way: "OMG! I am on public
      transport, trapped in with Foul Ole Ron & Foul Ole Ron's Smell.
      Buggrit!" Thinking of it in those terms cheered her up quite a bit.
      Sic (public) transit gloria mundi...

      I've also tracked down -- at last! -- a copy of the Stephen Player-
      illustrated 25th anniversary hardcover reissue of The Colour of
      Magic/The Light Fantastic, which has been notoriously hard to obtain
      in Australia. So I'm buying it this week, and will review it in the
      April issue.

      Take care, don't forget to vote for your favourite Ankh-Morpork
      street names (see part 1), and we'll see you next month. And a
      happy Soul Cake Tuesday to all!

      -- Annie Mac

      End of Part 6.
      If you did not get all six parts, write: interact@...